Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Where are you guys watching all these press releases and such? Preferably with some form of translation since I don't speak Arabic.

Edit: thanks Kurt Cobain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I stopped following the goings-on in Syria about a year ago. Can anyone give me a quick course on the different factions at play here? Which is the most dominant rebel faction (assuming there is one)? How has al-Assad's regime been holding up to the rebels? Is there any good news to be had from everything in Syria?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

OwlBot 2000 posted:

First thing to know is that everything is terrible. Assad was dealt some bad blows, but seems to be stable and advancing now. Hizbullah has been helping.

Regarding the rebels, they're receiving arms from the Gulf States and the USA now. Who are they? A lot of different groups, from the "FSA" (a loose term without a whole lot of meaning now) which was a Syrian organization born of the Syrian protests, but now with "leadership" (who don't matter) in France and refugee camps in Turkey. The other guys are foreign and (occasionally) domestic Jihadists, among them the Al-Nusra Front. They're pretty experienced and effective, but probably don't have much support from the Syrian populace, and have committed some atrocities.

Can Assad hold on to power? A year ago I'd have said it was impossible, but now I think he just might. On the other hand, Syria's economy is ruined and if there's a stalemate, and the elites start realizing how hopeless and bad for business this is, he might still get taken down.

Goddammit :smith: Well, at least we have enough feel-good revolution from Libya and hopefully Egypt, right guys? Right?

I remember two years ago telling my friends that Libya was our generation's version Spanish Civil War, except that this time, the antifascists won (I know it's an overly-simplistic view of everything, but two years ago I was a pretty dumb guy). Has Libya at least met an agreeable end? I know there are still elements that are more armed than they should be, but frankly that's an expected result of a civil war, no? How's Libya's post-civil war government holding up?

edit:

redscare posted:

There's no "better for business" option, the elite are going to stick with Assad because the alternative is al Qaeda/salafists.

I can't help but agree with this point of view. By now, the people who have stuck with al-Assad thus far have two options: keep staying the course (and it's worth noting that Bashar has a more solid position than he had last year, based on my admittedly limited knowledge on the civil war so far) or change to the rebel side; and really, I can't imagine that the rebels will be very generous to the (former?) Assad loyalists. The elites' best bet is staying the course. I can't see them changing sides any time soon.

edit2:

redscare posted:

Libya is hosed because the militia groups that formed during the revolution don't want to disband or submit to the central government.

Can't I have just a little optimism? Please?

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 7, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Sergg posted:

Can anyone translate this? It appears to be a captured document from a dead Syrian soldier
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/ftACtTV.jpg:nws:

FWIW, some of the characters from the top half of that document look like the Ge'ez script used for the Amharic language rather than Arabic but I'm hesitant to call it that because what the hell would an Ethiopian be doing in Syria (unless they're fighting for one of the factions or reporting on the situation or something)?

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 29, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Well, this would at least help consolidate Kurdistan and make it easier for them to win independence :getin:

• Locked thread