Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

V. Illych L. posted:

for real though disarm israel

Id imagine that would be a bit of a hard sell for the Israeli leadership at this point.

Al-Saqr posted:

No this is actually a legitimate and perfectly reasonable line of thought. Why should Israel (a regime filled with plenty of wars of agggression and mass murder under its belt) be able to violate international laws and Non-proliferation treaties while Iran has to fight tooth and nail (and have its own scientists assassinated) just to have a nuclear program, period? Disarm all nukes in the region.

Well that would seem a good as reason as any for them not to. In theory the more countries that can build nukes the more will have them, which seems a bit counter to this point.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

DutchDupe posted:

That's generous. I think they would nuke the closest target possible. If they got the bomb they would legit be invaded and overthrown on a massive scale anyways, may as well go out with a bang.

I'm not sure about that. sending tens of thousands of solders into an area with a rouge nuke doesn't seem like it would be very appealing. Just imagine thousands of solders trying to liberate Ramadi or Raqqa and being vaporized in an instant.

Sometimes I think people have gotten too used to the idea of nukes and don't realize the sheer power anyone who has one holds.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 18, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Captain Bravo posted:

Good god, ISIS has weaponized anime. They're truly on the cutting-edge of military technology.

Dont be silly its far worse than that, they are seeking endorsements. Admittedly an odd way to start but some people will do anything to get their name out there.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why does Turkey hate Kurds and the mideast's next best chance at establishing an Israel-like nation state?

I believe its the part where they fear the kurds might tear out a large chunk of their own nation to make the new Israel-like nation state.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

FAUXTON posted:

To be honest the ethnic homeland of the Kurds and their current ethnic boundaries cover area in Syria, Iraq, and Turkey, so it isn't like Turkey would be singled out in getting clipped to form a Kurdish state.

While true Turkey at least finds itself in the unique position where they can very forcefuly say NO and have the power to back it up

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I was always under the impression that it started off with them appearing as the weakest, most unspoiled game in town. Now its just gotten too the point where they need to keep attacking to try and get the Kurds on the defensive cause the Kurds aren't as distracted by anyone else like other factions tend to be.

Its hard to ignore someone who is persistently knocking on your door.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Porous borders are a weapon smuggler's best friend, and black market oil can buy a lot of weapons.

There is also the likelihood that they don't even need to cross the border. Corruption is sort of a big thing in this conflict and whose to say if a Syrian/Iraqi military shipment doesn't go "missing" while someone's wallet gets thicker.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 27, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Huh, if what I'm hearing is right it seems the SAA is pulling out of much of the Idlib salient.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I'm not sure this holds water when they are dropping crude bombs out the back of choppers over civilian fild towns and villages.

^^^Beat me to it.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Verbally raise hell and that's about it. I mean if US jets start bombing Assad forces what else could they do aside from material continued support or risk getting into a shooting war with the United states.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Bait and Swatch posted:

Crimes of a regime always serve as a excellent justification for war, but are rarely the actual motivation. It's always a question of interest, and I don't see how acting militarily in Syria would have ever furthered our interests in the region unless I view the situation through the lens of an idealist.

Speaking of which, what is President Obama's approach to international relations and Middle Eastern foreign policy? It seems as though he speaks through an idealist lens, holds back due to realist concerns and acts through liberalism. If.viewed this way, I think it explains the inconsistencies in the American regional policy, especially after the stark idealism of Bush.

I would replace "holds back due to realist concerns" with "averse to commiting political suicide by getting his nation into a new war" but close enough.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

My Imaginary GF posted:

A lot less, I'd think, since I doubt Trump is afraid to tackle the issues from an outside-the-box framework.

What I mean is, Trump would create an irradiated deadzone between ISIL, Sunni, and Shia, solving the mideastern sectarian divides once and for all.

Also, if you wanna feel all sad brains, ISIL executed 'Ali Assad yesterday. Ali had been administrator of Palmyra for the past 50 years. Presumably, ISIL had him finish appraising everything worth appraising.

You know speaking of outliving their usefulness when was the last time we heard anything about John Cantlie? Has there been any word since like last year?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

goose fleet posted:

Is that a Guy Fawkes mask? Why?

Listen, sometimes handkerchiefs are hard to come by and you just have to make due.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I imagine its largely do to the western jets blowing up a lot of there enemies for them. They didn't seem to be doing nearly as well before the US started blowing up the Islamic States tanks. While there are not doubt other reasons, its probably much easier to get those other reasons to work when you don't have an enemy who can mass up and steamroll you.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

V. Illych L. posted:

imo going to syria or iraq to fight ISIS is pretty respectable if you're in decent physical shape and can shoot a gun

It would certainly put them head and shoulders above most people fighting in that region.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I'm more surprised that we haven't seen more acts of general drones terrorism, you load her up with as much explosives as you can, drive it as close to the target as you can, quickly send her up and into an office window or whatever, and drive off before anyone knows what happened.

It wouldn't be super effective, but it would send a message.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

FAUXTON posted:

Because the point of terrorism usually includes people seeing you do it and knowing it's you.

Hm one thing I've noticed over the years is that one of the biggest thing holding back such groups is their over obsession with being flashy rather than effective. I suppose we should be thankful for that.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

fade5 posted:

So Turkey is finally actually doing what they're supposed to be doing, bombing ISIL.
https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/status/637618252802334720

Took them loving long enough.

Well the Islamic State left them little choice, their recent actions have put the FSA's northern supply route in jeopardy, decreased the chance for their much talked about "safe zone", and most sinister of all risked the possibility of the last separated Kurdish canton merging with the others. They had to act sooner or later.

I implied it before and I Will say it here, such groups are always their own worst enemies.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Ianiniho posted:

Strange to think of them minting coins and the like (unless it's just propaganda). Guess they have the facilities to, but I always assumed they were on a total war footing and never made much of an attempt to build an actual state.

You can't run an area of the Islamic State's size without some form of bureaucracy and at least the appearance of a legitimate state (police force, courts, area restorations) these IS coins have long been hailed as further proof that they are a legitimate nation.

^^^
Beat me to it.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

How are u posted:

Keep banging that war drum, friend. Increasing Iranian ties to the West and the World at large is only going to change things for the better.

Yes because the western nations getting in bed with morally questionable regimes and organizations has often produced stellar results.

Now I'm not saying things won't work out, maybe they Will maybe they won't. I just find it a bit naive when people act like all we need to do is "hold out the hand of friendship" and all will be well.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

radical meme posted:

Exactly which regimes in the Middle East are not morally questionable?

And which of there nations that we got involved with didn't results in walking through waist high poo poo.

America being an rear end does not give Iran or anyone an excuse to be one. The only real course of action should either be work with someone who isn't poo poo (good luck) , work with none of them,(not practical) or be pragmatic with who we work with. And I'm not sold on breaking decades old alliances to work with Iran to be that.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

So this will last like what, a week? Im sure someone will do something stupid while blaming the other side, and then of course the retaliation until we are right back were we started.
Though it would be nice if I was wrong.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

sparatuvs posted:

They aren't doing too well on the other front either

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8b1_1442944341
:nms:

I might be wrong, but I think that's supposed to be an Iraqi outpost near the Saudi Arabian border.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

fade5 posted:

In other news, the YPG in Sheikh Maqsood have taken part of the rebel-controlled Castello Road/highway:

This is of course related to Al-Nusra being loving assholes and shelling Sheikh Maqsood with mortars and artillery with about the same accuracy as Assad's Barrel Bombs (read: none).

One would think that Al-Nusra would either cut that poo poo out or go full out when they get this dumb idea in their heads. How many times has it been that they have picked this fight just to get smacked in the nose till the YPG thinks they've had enough?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They would be Russian special forces if they're on the ground, correct? So why are they quite happy to continue to stand around in the open for a whole two minutes after they just got their poo poo wrecked?

E: Honestly watch that. It's completely baffling to me. They seem to go about their business as though nothing happened.

The locals told them it was nothing to worry about. Explosions just happen from time to time and you just have to pick yourself up and keep going.

Charliegrs posted:

At that distance how the hell could anyone tell who they are shooting at?

I cant tell from the video but maybe some of them were white? Anyone with a pale complexion is probably going to look Russian to them.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 3, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh ok on rewatching it seems that the white van is another group of people coming in to finish off survivors?

Not quite, look just to the left of the building that was hit (before it is hit). You should be able to see the van, they just brought it up so they can cart off the wounded.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Frosted Flake posted:

Neither has been verified. FSA and ISIS are notorious for inflating their kills.

You say that, but what nation or organization isn't notorious for inflating their kills?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

dr_rat posted:

The least would seem to be just Iran and Iraq if the ships were located in the bottom half of the Caspian.

Big question I have is why? They have jets in the area that presumably could of bombed the targets much cheaper. The only three things I can think of is maybe it was the faster option and time was crutial, allthough as their was eleven targets this seems about doubtful, maybe they were going after something fortified needed something stronger, or maybe just a show of strength by Russia.

Maybe they figured a large battle like this would be an obvious place for the rebels to concentrate their MANPADS and wanted to minimize the risk?

Though honestly I don't know, maybe they just figured they weren't doing anything else with them so might as well.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

CeeJee posted:

That one explodes far before hitting, could this be some active defense sytem ? There are also some BMP's and infantry following the tank which is far more coordinated then usual.

Actually I think it just slammed into to the post that was in the way, you can see it better after the explosion.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Is it wrong that i am happy that assad and putin are pissing away men and weapons for little gain.

In terms of how it hurts Putin and Assad's regimes? No. In terms of how it affects all the poor fools who must burn to death for them, a bit.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

98 casualties? Do we have any idea how many SAA troops are involved in the assault?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

MothraAttack posted:

Allegedly the Russian air force just wiped out the HQ of Division 13, the FSA group responsible for many of those videos.

Al-Saqr posted:

Not to rag on the FSA, but if you're going to post constant YouTube updates on everything you do, don't be surprised that the Russians will figure out where you are and blow that area up to smithereens.

I'm not sure that there is a correlation between the two. Unless they were firing their TOWs from the HQ's rooftop (one would hope not) those YouTube videos would only tell them were the firing positions were, not where brass hang out.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I'm curious, what seems to be the prevailing opinion of the Pershmerga in regards to the other factions fighting the Islamic State (The Iraqi army, the Shia militias, even the Iranians and the Syrian kurd)?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Don't we get this exact same news about "thousands of reinforcements" every few months? I'm afraid I'm not going to be terribly impressed until I actually see it.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Are the Saudis even doing well in yemen? every time, i tune in they seem to be getting their officer corp killed. I mean i assume they have a ton of american weapon which gives the superior tech, but it seems they just march their tanks/armor single file into the meat grinder. I mean sure with there political power they can keep the war going for years but idk it seems like all they have done is bombed civilians.

Well last time I checked in on the Yemen civil war the Government forces were desperately trying to keep the Houthi out of Aden and Hadi had fled the country. Now they seem to actually control some of the country and last I heard Hadi was back in Yemen, so it hasn't been a 100% failure.

Its good to keep in mind that the house of Saud isn't the most popular entity around here,(or anywhere really) so people tend to be a bit predisposed to point out their (many) gently caress ups.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 19, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

What kind of AA are the Sauds likely to give the rebels anyway? Most of the aircraft they would need to shoot down would be choppers and relatively low flying jets. Would whatever could take them down be a threat to most airliners?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

" In charge of foreign fighters and suicide bombers"

I have to admit I've never really though about it, but im sorta curious how one runs a large scale organized suicide bomber campaign. I always kind of figured that was a fairly low level, semi spontaneous kind of thing.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 22, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

fade5 posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me, it's October 23, which means it's been exactly a year since that famous strike on Tel Shair hill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-jd3w7kPU
This is about the time that the YPG started to push ISIL back in Kobani with help from the Coalition.

Has it only been a year? So much has happened it feels longer.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ISIS are honest to god cartoon villains.

Doesn't that actually sort of work though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Dodoman posted:

Modern wars are really, really weird.

What the heck happened to the tank hunter guy, did the recoil knock his head off?

:laffo: at the Mig Buster

:smith:

I think the gun just flat out exploded is what happened.

• Locked thread