Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Frozen Horse posted:

I'm going to reverse my earlier optimism about Quaddafi's chances for pulling off a soft landing. I'm also going to predict that the army is going to react poorly to foreign mercenaries attacking their countrymen. Maybe I'm a soft westerner, but $30,000 wouldn't be enough for it to be worth it to get shot by the Libyan army.
The way this is all going down, I'd really bet we'll see a deposed President hat trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

A couple more and they got a basketball team. They can be the new Washington Generals.

Or a barbershop quartet, perhaps.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
If full scale conventional warfare against an unarmed civilian populace doesn't unify the Libyan people, I don't think anything will.

I have a feeling it's gone past the point of no return.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'll give it more one country to topple before we go that far. But Saudi Arabia getting involved in everybody's affair is going to be very interesting. If anything, capitalism as a concept is getting a good beating here: these protests are basically going against the corruption inherent in the system that a lot of people globally can relate to.
Should clarify - I think its past the point of no return in LIBYA.

As for a wider middle-eastern scope its anybody's guess.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Astrolite posted:

Driving them is pretty easy. Firing the main gun would be a bit more difficult, unless it's a very old model.

Honestly if you can operate a T55 in Balkans on Fire, you can probably operate one in real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Warriors:_T-72_Tank_Commander

Or maybe someone can just get them the manual:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1969-russian-ussr-soviet-army-t55-tank-manual

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Ah, well in that case... :)

Actually that might be made into an interesting scenario. Muammar could rig a few oil tankers with explosives and then send them to the coasts of Spain, France, Italy and Greece, then demand EU to quell the uprisings or the tankers will blow up. <strokes the white cat>

Ah yes, the "Hackers" contingency.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Xandu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JosiAgoiWow

Weapon used against protesters in Benghazi.

You got it - FN303

Shoots paintballs full of OC powder, or other irritants.

edit: Is there reliable info anywhere on the amount of armor the Libyan army currently fields? The Chadians took quite a big bite out of it in the Toyota Wars, but I imagine they've since replenished those numbers.

edit 2: of course I was looking at the wrong article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Army

That's quite a bit of armor.

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 21, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

The Brown Menace posted:

Ok, taking bets now.

$5 says he left for Venezuela.

Does Chavez really have the troll chops to grant Quadaffi asylum? (yeah, probably)

It really seems like the government will be overthrown within 24 - 48 hours at this rate. And here I was thinking it would take until the end of the week.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even know that you could point anti-aircraft guns at targets on the ground. Or can the protesters fly?

The Russians used Shilkas extensively against ground targets in the Caucuses. They're absolutely devastating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZSU-23-4

edit: That guy in pieces in the earlier video probably caught an round from a ZU or a Hind's Autocannon.

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 21, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Boner Slam posted:

Here is one of these anti-air weapons in action.
Imagine this beeing fired at people holy poo poo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUeqSseERo&feature=related

gently caress literally everything

Don't think Libya has any ACTUAL 2S6's (they were ordered) but yeah that's about what something like a ZSU or a ZU can dish out.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

Moammar! My man!

Gimmie some skin!

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

berserker posted:

This picture is much funnier if you imagine that instead of them going in for a handshake, they are in the process of a much more elaborate handshake, and are currently about to do the "backhand slap".

That was the first image that popped in my head - the "Fresh Prince & Jazz" hand slap.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Xandu posted:

Why not?

If they have no problem burning soldiers alive in their barracks for refusing orders, they wont have much of a problem firing SAMs at their own aircraft.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

If the UN is going to institute a no fly zone, then what it's really doing is asking the US air force to shoot down Libyan planes. Because honestly, no other country has the capability to do it on such short notice.

One problem with a no-fly zone is that the Libyan AA network would immediately be involved. If you want total air superiority its gonna involve SEAD and that means attacking ground targets - missile launchers and the associated radar systems, as well as static and self-propelled AA guns.

Intervention from anyone would turn into a full-on air campaign REALLY quick.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

This is absolutely true. Whoever is enforcing the no fly zone needs to be willing to bomb ground targets when they get painted by radar or fired on from the ground.
I wonder what kind of EW support something like Commando Solo could provide around Tripoli while still remaining out of Libyan airspace. Aside from jamming radar systems, is there a way for that kind of platform to serve as an ad hoc comm link to get around the internet blockage?

Young Freud posted:

So, that would mean that those Libyan AA guns would 1) not be chopping up large numbers of protesters and 2) be blown the gently caress up, preventing them from chopping up large numbers of protesters.

I see no problem with this.

The problem with this is that it goes from "providing support" to a major military operation involving hundreds of sorties and strikes against ground targets. The only group who can realistically pull this off is the US Military (and the Israelis but that is COMPLETELY out of the question).

Total air superiority over Libya would be great for the protesters but I think we've lost any kind of credibility to provide such a thing and it will get reduced to THE US IS loving US AGAIN no matter what the level of involvement.

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 23, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Another issue - can't really strike AA systems in urban areas without making a mess. JDAMs and HARMs are precise weapons but they're not some magical laser that's not going to gently caress up anything around the target.

US/NATO/EU planes conducting air strikes in Libyan Metropolitan areas is no bueno.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Nenonen posted:

They do have tanker planes, like all of the main NATO countries. But I'm not sure how well prepared they would be for such a mission on a short notice for an undefined period of time. Jet fighters require continuous maintenance, it's no good to declare a no-fly zone if after a week all planes are grounded due to wear and tear.

If you take into account all the NATO fighters and strike aircraft within a few hours of Libya (France, Italy and Greece) there's more than enough to keep a round the clock no-fly zone enforced.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

Talk of the details of a no fly zone is kind of pointless, I've just realized. China and/or Russia would never let it pass the Security Council. They're too afraid of the precedent they will set when one day they might be blowing up their own protesting citizens. Russia, maybe not, but China is probably looking at all of this and taking notes for the future.

Also, they wouldn't want to lose one of their best customers, should he - for whatever reason - actually win and put down the revolution.

edit:

Kaymaster posted:

According to this, Libya does have a somewhat capable air defense network, including a few SA-5s that could prove dangerous, but the question is how well integrated are they and how many of the Early Warning and Engagement Radars actually work. They do have some heavy equipment, but without the possibility of an operational SA-20, tactical SEAD shouldn't be a problem for just about any modern Air Force. You hit the few EW radars and fire control center vans they have operational and you pretty much take-out their entire SAM network, minus a few line-of-sight SAMs that may be manned. Stay above a certain altitude and MANPADS shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a nerd.
It blows me away - Imagine how many man-hours and millions of dollars this kind of intel would had cost in the 80s. I swear if you went back in time 25 years and told the DOD that one day a complete and reasonably accurate threat analysis of Libya's air defense network (complete with GPS coordinates) would be drawn up some guy in his free time and posted in his public journal - they'd throw you in the loony bin.

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 23, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
You gotta love China and Russia dragging their heels on a hollow and ultimately meaningless UN condemnation of CQ - wouldn't want to look like, god forbid, HYPOCRITES when your brutalize your own populations further down the road, would you?

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

Keeping Up With The Gaddafis

Maybe that's what the world should do with them - Detain them in a reality show or the Big Brother house so we can all watch them eventually kill one another for our entertainment.

edit: A "Full House" type sitcom with a deposed dictator living with his seven crazy kids to make ends meet sounds like a good show

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 23, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

Bonus points if the Series finale ends like a mix of the Sopranos and Ceausescu.

Maybe it can be like hes hiding in exile trying to fit in with the rest of society trying to make sure nobody knows he's really a deposed dictator

Kind of like if Hannah Montana was a war criminal.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Xandu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65-VzR3GZbo

I couldn't pick up all of it, but they're discussing a mercenary tank and showing off bottles of (supposedly) alcohol taken from the tank and showing off a uniform.

http://imgur.com/9b3SH

It's a BMP-1 - those things they are pointing to in the beginning are firing ports and periscopes. Basically you can stick the muzzle of an AK into it and the 6 guys riding in back can all fire their weapons, along with the main weapon systems in the turret.

edit - those things in the middle are, I believe, canisters from smoke launcher - and all those large shells on the ground belong to something else entirely - they look like 12mm (.50) 14.5mm and didn't come from the BMP

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 24, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

those things in the middle are, I believe, canisters from smoke launcher

I'm wrong about this - those are the charges that expel the round from the BMP's 73mm main gun before the sustainer motor on the round fires - you can see one at the bottom of the dummy round in this picture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/BMP1_Training_Turret_Parola_1.jpg

They were for sure firing the BMP's main gun at the protesters.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Celexi posted:

I doubt he was always insane, at least on this picture when he was younger he does "appear" to be normal:

All I can hear when I look at this picture is the audio from a Wu-Tang filler track where they're all sitting around high and rambling.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Pine Cone Jones posted:

From the Al Jazeera live blog, how true this is i do not know, but I hope for the peoples sake this isn't the truth.
It would be a whoooole different ball game.

A gas attack on a major metropolitan area like Tripoli would be unprecedented. It would make Halabja look like a sour fart.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Basically CQ's idea of what is happening is akin to a COBRA plot from an episode of G.I. JOE.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Jack Napier posted:

Asianews.it (reliable?) is saying that North Korea is having a few protests, the first in Kim's history, due to the food shortage :x

http://www.asianews.it.nyud.net/news-en/First-public-protests-against-the-Kims%E2%80%99-regime-20861.html

So, uh. Yeah?

Would be pretty interesting but yeah I'd call bullshit on this one. No way has news of whats happening in the middle east propagated that well through the DPRK.

State media is so tightly controlled there that nobody would even want to MENTION a crazy dictator being overthrown by the angry, poor masses.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Narmi posted:

I remember seeing a piece on the news awhile ago that showed how NK intelligence officers in charge of monitoring the south tended to defect once they learned just how bad their lives were. They even tried to join the south's army, but weren't allowed, and ended up forming their own little militia, ready to make war with their former home.

There's always this ol' chestnut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Flight_858

quote:

Speaking at the United Nations Security Council, Choi Young-jin, representing South Korea, said that after eight days of interrogation in South Korea, she was permitted to see a film of life in the country on a television screen, and realized that "life ... on the streets of Seoul was entirely different from what she had been led to believe. She began to realize that what she had been told while living in the North was totally untrue."[9] Kim then "threw herself into the arms of a female investigator" and confessed to the bombing.[9] In Korean, she said, "Forgive me. I am sorry. I will tell you everything,"[9] and said that she had been "exploited as a tool for North Korean terrorist activities", and made a detailed and voluntary confession.[9]

I can't imagine the "Holy poo poo I killed a LOT of innocent people for no reason" realization felt too good.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

EskimoFreeState posted:

It's really a bummer that they have smuggled Chinese cell phones, but (if I'm reading this correctly) have to live/be within 10 km of the border to communicate with anyone. I assume that if you live farther south and the government keeps seeing you commute 200 miles out of your way twice a week, they're gonna get suspicious.

Better than nothing, I suppose.

After reading this and the article about the meshnets - It would be interesting to see something like the cellular or satellite phone developed as the modern day "liberator pistol", air dropped in to propagate information. It really has been the most powerful weapon in the recent uprisings. Once the information genie is out of the bottle you can't put it back in.

Also, the fact that drat near everyone has a video camera in their pocket these days is going already proving to be detrimental to dictators. Just imagine how much damning evidence of war crimes is going to come to light once CQ goes away.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Mr Plow posted:

I just read a news report that South Korea has been dropping leaflets over North Korea about the revolutions in the middle east.

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFTRE71O0T020110225

This is pretty drat cool :unsmith:

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

TheDamien posted:

Wth, there's a place called Tataoine?! Also it looks like aaw901 is circling.

URGENT: Security forces attack Lars Moisture farm - attempt to frame sand people! #MosEisley #NerdShit

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

So Gaddifi apparently said this in his speech:

Boy is his face gonna be red when everyone hes give a rifle to ends up turning on him and his mercenaries.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Whenever I see Saif all I can think of is a really tan George Bluth Sr.

THIS, is my demand!

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Patter Song posted:

Just a quick point about N. Korea, because I know it's a digression, but it's been talked about a lot here. Whatever respect Kim himself has will not necessarily transfer to his son (and, by all accounts, isn't transferring very well). There's a more than decent chance that the DPRK's military will decide after KJI's death that they don't want to be ruled by a roly-poly, imbecilic fellow in his mid-20s and organize a coup and a military regime. Whether that'd be an improvement is a tough question, but it'd be a hell of a change.
Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il both have elaborate superhero origin stories that they created about themselves to appear as the miraculous saviors of the Korean Peninsula.

It makes you wonder none of KJI's kids seem to have any crazy mythology behind them.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

cioxx posted:

If they shoot down a single plane they'll probably give the NFZ enforcers to carpet bomb Gaddafi's installations.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that's exactly what they're going for.

If they're currently just over / around Benghazi right now they probably aren't TOO concerned with AA - that whole area has been controlled by the rebels for weeks.

All the necessary Logistical, EW and Strike aircraft probably aren't in the air to start conducting SEAD yet. The British will probably be doing most of this considering they have all the Tornados.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Xandu posted:

In case anyone forget, tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of the Iraq War.

Which anniversary is this? Bronze? Linens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3vG9BBYcI

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Jut posted:

Is there really any need to be taking out air defense and bases? Is CQ still using them? if not is it really risking collateral damage?
I would have thought that the UN forces would pretty much be safe from CQ's air defenses without having to blow them up.

Destroying runways is a proven technique to achieve air superiority in a VERY short time (see: Six Day War)

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Does anyone else think it's a little funny that the US and Al Qaeda are kinda sorta fighting on the same team?

It's like when GI JOE and COBRA team up to fight drug runners.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

Are you talking about the fictional US-Israel-Iran-Al Queda plot to give Libyans riot pills, or has one of the Al-Queda affiliates in North Africa shown support the revolution? Because it turned out that a bunch of those affiliates are drug dealers looking for a tough reputation.
The latter, but I was unaware that people were pretending to be in Al Queda for STREET CRED - which is goddamn hilarious in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Koesj posted:

AJE showing festive rebels on a captured SA-8 mobile SAM launcher, expect blue-on-blue (green on blue? :xd:) fire very soon.

I think the last place on Earth I'd like to be right now is standing anywhere near a SAM system in Libya.

• Locked thread