Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.
This is how Davos feels all the time.

I'm sorry to be That Guy but all the news stories have been failing me miserably on this one basic question: Why are the Egyptians so mad at Morsi in the first place? By all accounts I've found the elections were open and fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

gimpfarfar posted:

Here's a good article on this very subject. Also, just because you're elected for one term, does not mean you won't have to pack up your poo poo and leave if you screw up:

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...ity-stupid.html
That is very good, but it leads to my other question: Was just voting this prick out not an option?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

etalian posted:

Yeah it's a four year term but they forgot to add in a lemon provision.
Ah.

On the one hand this is really neat -- God knows it'd be nice if Americans would take to the streets loving ever, but on the other hand at some point Egypt needs to handle bad leaders democratically, not with mob rule and asking the army to fix everything for them. Hopefully they get it right this time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

SquadronROE posted:

Multiple revolutions isn't unheard of. The French had something like 4.
Perhaps not the best model to follow, though?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The precedent of the military being able to tell the leader 'hey you're not in charge anymore' is troubling to me, is what I'm saying. I guess this is just my family upbringing talking but where we're from when the military is able to decide how valid a leader is that's really a good thing.

I guess I'm just thinking what stops the army from doing this again?
You have a valid concern. This is twice now the people of Egypt have turned to the army and gone "overthrow this fucker please" and the army's said "'kay" and done it. Which, yay, will of the people. But the army is frankly acting better than anyone has any right to expect; they keep on having a military dictatorship practically thrust into their arms and they keep on pushing it away. I dunno how many times you want to trust that to work.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

keevo posted:

I'm still confused about the military's role in this. I get that they got involved now because the people asked them to, but why didn't they get involved when Mubarak was in power? Weren't people asking them for help back then?
The military's backing of the people was a big reason why Mubarak resigned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.

Antwan3K posted:

The army in Egypt is much larger and more influential than most countries' armed forces.
Hey look, I found an inherent problem!

• Locked thread