Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Brown Moses posted:

At least he didn't blame the Jews.

Bringing this back, did he blame the Jews and/or Israel? I refuse to believe it was a speech given by someone of importance in the Middle East (outside of Israel/Turkey of course) without them blaming the Jews :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Lycus posted:

Iranian President Ahmadinejad condemns Libya's use of force on demonstrators.

:ironicat:

Just you wait Ahmadinejad, yours is coming soon!

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Young Freud posted:

Oh wow. Qaddafi's reaching out to Israel? That's just too funny.

As much flack as Israel gets, I'm sure they did one and only one thing to these diplomats from Gadhafi :commissar:

Too much bad blood between Israel and Libya. For Israel to make peace or even really consider making contact with an Arab Nation, they have to actually respect said Arab Nation. They respect Egypt, they respect Jordan, they respect the Palestinians however that issue is more complicated since they currently live in territories Israel occupies.

Do they respect Libya? No. Israel probably entertained these diplomats for a little bit, and then told them to gently caress off.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Ham posted:

Clashes at the border, pretty much. Unknown if accidental or not, but one Egyptian officer and 2 Egyptian soldiers confirmed killed by an Israeli Apache, with several more wounded.

Haaretz is now claiming an Israeli sniper has just been killed by Egyptian Army fire.

I don't know where you are getting that second bit, but it is accidental. An Israeli apache was chasing a terrorist across the border and managed to kill him, but Egyptian Soldiers got caught in the crossfire between the two.

EDIT: Good loving god, I hope there isn't a war between Israel and Egypt, that is the last thing anyone needs.

edit2: I'm not surprised this happened though, there is a poo poo ton of confusion in Southern Israel and the Sinai.

Corny fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 19, 2011

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Ham posted:

Speaking of flags, the Israeli flag hanging out of the embassy in Giza, Egypt has been removed. Some guy climbed up 8-10 stories with no equipment and removed it, to wild cheers from the crowd below. Protest/sit-in is still in full-swing at the embassy with somewhere between 6000-10000 people right in front of it. More protests all over Egypt over the death of the 5 Egyptian soldiers by Israeli fire.

In another twist, the government has definitely decided to recall it's ambassador from Israel. The protests all over Egypt are calling for the Israeli ambassador to be expelled from Egypt as well. This situation is getting a lot hotter.

The last thing the world needs is a poo poo show between Egypt and Israel right now. If Egypt and Israel go to war, the Palestinians can kiss whatever state they want goodbye, and a poo poo ton of Israelis and Egyptians will die for nothing.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Young Freud posted:

If Syria turns into the next Libya, you can bet that NATO will get involved, mostly because of its proximity to Turkey, a NATO alliance member. Turkey has already become involved in part to harboring refugees, so if Syria begins targeting refugee camps as part of a crackdown (especially if the Syrian resistance uses them as staging areas), that can easily be written as a legitimate casus belli for NATO intervention, with or without UN approval.

Funny enough that this was brought up, if NATO attacks Syria, Syria will attack Israel and get Hezbollah to attack Israel as well.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/assad-syria-will-shower-tel-aviv-with-rockets-if-attacked-by-foreign-powers-1.388135

quote:

Syria will strike Israel and "set fire" to the Middle East if foreign forces choose to launch a military strike on the protest-ridden country, the Iranian news agency Fars quoted Syrian President Bashar Assad as saying on Tuesday, referring to remarks made by the Syrian leader during a meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu last August.

During a meeting with the Turkish FM, the Fars report claimed, Assad indicated that Syria would not hesitate to strike major Israeli cities if it was attacked.

...In addition, Fars reported that the Syrian president told the Turkish FM that he would also call on Hezbollah in Lebanon to launch a rocket attack on Israel, adding: "All these events will happen in three hours, but in the second three hours, Iran will attack the U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf and the U.S. and European interests will be targeted simultaneously."

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
I'm never happy because of death, but I can sleep a little easier now knowing that Libyan Jews have finally received some sort of payment for being expelled and having their property stolen by Gadhafi.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Charliegrs posted:

Ah yes, its that time of year when the possibility of a Israeli/US attack on Irans nuclear facilities reaches its peak...and then nothing happens. Not that I want anything to, quite the contrary but for years now it seems like we've been on the brink. Although this time there definitely has been a series of events that make it look like it could finally happen:
The impending IAEA report that is expected to be pretty damning for Iran
Israel testing ballistic missiles that can hit Iran
Israel now has mid-air refueling capabalities
Israel training for long distance bombing runs in Italy
Israel holding drills for missile attacks on the homeland
Websites of Mossad/Shin Bet/IDF hacked. (this could have been anyone, possibly Iran, possibly Anonymous)
All of the above have happened very recently. But none of this is a smoking gun that an Israeli strike on Iran is imminent. I still dont think it will EVER happen. I think the consequences of such an action are too great for anyone to take it on.

And one thing that may or may not be much of a factor is the year end deadline for all US troops to leave Iraq. This may affect Israels ability to fly over Iraq, (if thats the route they choose) but at the same time Iraq wont present as much of a target rich enviroment for Iranian ballistic missiles targetting US forces.

Edit: I dont know how much the Israeli-Iranian nuke problem is pertinent to a thread about the Arab Spring. I apologize If Im derailing..

Netanyahu may be stupid in certain regards, but he takes the security of Israel very seriously. He knows that if Israel bombs Iran, it better be as a last resort at the last moment before they achieve Nuclear weapons, because he knows if he does Hezbollah+Hamas+Syria are going to be knocking at Israels doorstep very quickly. Even with Syria as such a clusterfuck right now, I bet they could get their troops to stop massacring civilians long enough to go fight Israel.

Also, I was always hesitant to say Iran was actually developing Nuclear Weapons. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt. To see the IAEA say that they are actively going for the capability to produce them, if not outright producing them, is damning.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Hamelekim posted:

Lastly, I do believe in a global conspiracy with regards to the Bilderberg group, Trilateral Commission, and the CFR. I don't see it as crazy, it makes sense with what we see going on in the world, and what members of those groups have said in the past.

You honestly believe that a small group of people are actually able to control the entire world? Holy poo poo, I wish people were actually this competent, because then maybe we could actually get some things done, instead of having infighting between the monolithic THE WEST (it's always THE WEST) and whatever factions make up THE WEST.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Xandu posted:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/yass...150587031974158

It's a letter signed by 100 Palestinian writers and academics that essentially says to the Syrian regime "not in the name of Palestine." Syria and Hezballah's support of Syria in the name of the resistance is so despicable.

I like how Hezbollah is still "resisting" against Israel, when Lebanon has not been occupied by Israel since 2000. One could count the Shebaa, but that situation is so loving murky it's not even worth talking about.

Hezbollah co-opts legitimate Palestinian concerns for their own machinations, surprise surprise.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
edit: inappropriate for this thread

Corny fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 8, 2012

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I can't quite say why, but I feel less and less worried that Israel is going to carry out any major strike, despite all the war-drumming. Anybody else get that feeling that its just more of the same old posturing, and partially an attempt to distract from domestic economic problems?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

This, and the fact that every major facet of Israels military is opposed to a military strike, at least at this stage of the game.

edit: On the contrary, Saudi Arabia is very ready for Israel to strike. The Saudis aren't nearly as public or grandiose as Netanyahu or Barak, but they are much more scared of Iran than Israel is.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
I read an article months ago, about some Daraa resident who was pleading for the world to intervene. That person asked for anybody, and even said "Let the Israelis come! Let the Jews come! Anything is better than Assad!"

At the time, I thought to myself "I doubt Syria is ever going to progress to the point of Libya, Assad is not nearly that crazy"

I'm sad to say not only was I wrong in that it would progress to Libya, it has progressed past Libya. I was horribly wrong.

gently caress Assad, gently caress Khamenei, and gently caress Hezbollah.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

az jan jananam posted:

Israel's economy isn't really 'faltering'. In any case, I don't see why Hezbollah isn't the obvious suspect given the timing and coordination. Iranian involvement might have been peripheral.

It also gives Hezbollah plausible deniability, they prefer to act outside of the borders of Lebanon/Israel. It wouldn't be the first time they (may have) attacked an Israeli embassy, or something that is associated with Israel.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_attack_on_Israeli_embassy_in_Buenos_Aires[/url

edit: It's also interesting to see people assume that any terrorist attack against/in Israel is a false flag Mossad operation, as if any other organizations in the area do not have any legitimate grievances against Israel.

Corny fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 13, 2012

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Xandu posted:

Then important Egyptian politicians start talking about ending the treaty with Israel. It's just turning into a game of who will back down first.

If it continues, in the end, a bunch of innocent Israelis and Egyptians are going to die. Really though, I have nightmares about what will happen if the Egyptian-Israeli peace treaty is gotten rid of. The Palestinians would have to kiss any state they want goodbye if that does happen.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

HappyKittens posted:

The Jewish lobby has every single politician in their pocket, every single one.

Indeed, our ZOG needs to be dragged out into the street and shot.

down with the Zionist Occupied Government

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

The-Mole posted:

I can't help but think that the Salafis will invariably end up splitting into 50 little groups that will all exterminate one another.

Not when they have so many "external enemies" they can focus on. Moderate Muslims, Christians, Israel, etc etc. Nothing unites extremists more than an external enemy to struggle against!

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Al-Saqr posted:

Very few unfortunately.

To the tune of maybe 80-100 Jews that live in Cairo. That's actually the 4th largest Jewish population in the Middle-East outside of Israel, Morocco has around 3,000 Jews, Tunisia has about 1000, and then Yemen has about 300-400 Jews. There are 8 Jews that live in Iraq, but they live in hiding due to the fact that Wikileaks published their names, which caused them to start receiving death threats.

Fun stuff!

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Svartvit posted:

There's like 10 000 in Iran and 20 000 in Turkey.

poo poo, I meant outside of Arab Countries in the Middle-East :doh:

edit: There's also a significant population of Jews in Azerbaijan, somewhere to the tune of 8,000 of them.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Demiurge4 posted:

What I'll be interested in seeing is whether or not the new government will try to protect the minorities from a tyranny of the majority.

I'll be interested in seeing how hard Al-Noor tries to gently caress over the religious/national minorities of Egypt.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Xandu posted:

drat, al-Akhbar is even lovely than usual this week.

I think what Al-Akhbar is trying to say here is that Arabs have absolutely no agency of their own, and are instead manipulated by the evil Zionist-USA World Spanning Empire. Oh, and if you don't support countries/organizations that postulate some vague notion of "resistance" against this empire, you are simply under their control.

edit: It's like reading a loving Orientalist piece from the 19th century, only instead of it being written by an English author about Arabs and Jews, it's being written by an Arab author.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Bruno posted:

Well personally Tala isn't behavioral fit speaking as seen with her last tweet, she seems to have issues not sure whatever the issues are life related, drug issues, health.

But Brown i hope you agree insults like which Tala has made are not normal, it shows that the again i will restate it (Has issues) which could be due many factors.

Again i will apologize to you in that blog, not today though. If we want to have an debate on the issue of Syria, sure lets debate, but without the insults, or mocking's.

Wait, Bruno, what are you doing here? I thought we agreed at the secret Zionist Meeting For Control Of The Middle East you wouldn't reveal yourself until later! You've ruined the entire plan! How can the Zionist war machine continue on now!

edit: jesus can't loving trust Israelis and their spy agencies to do anything right :argh:

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
The only thing sweeter than seeing Gadhafi fall will be seeing Assad fall. Then again, none of these will be as sweet as seeing Putin run out of the Kremlin. Or also, for that matter, a mass breakout of Evin prison.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
The new thread title is incredibly apt, props to whoever decided to change it.

The question I have to ask is how this bombing is going to change the regimes strategy for putting down the revolution. It's a fear of mine that we're going to see those chemical weapons brought out very quickly after this.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Ultras Lazio posted:

Today, I am going to be with with 2 muslims from Palestina, 2 good business contacts that came visit me about a franchise. We will do so, guests of mine, in an Italian restaurant.
I will wish them Ramadan Mubarak because THEY are muslims. They will not wish me the same because polite as they are, world travellers as they are, businessmen as they are, they know how to respect cultural differences. I bet you a million pennies they will wish me Buon Appetito.

Meaning, you and the likes of you talk a lot of poopoo without having the faintest idea. Personally, I pity you when I actually don't straight out laugh at you.

Political juveniles, abandon your sofas and travel, it will do you good.

I hope you have an easy fast for Tisha B'Av my friend! :hfive:

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Zeroisanumber posted:

I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that Jews believe that rebuilding the temple would be sacrilegious. Or is this an ad for some odd fringe sect?

Not necessarily, there is a poo poo ton of interpretation regarding the coming of the Messiah and the rebuilding of the third temple. The Religious Zionists (of the west bank settler variety, there are a variety of others) believe that when Jews begin to repopulate the land of Israel (as they have) they are allowed to rebuild the temple which will signify that the messiah is come/is on his immediate way, while the majority opinion of the Haredim is that the Messiah will come and then he himself will rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem. The standard Modern Orthodox opinion (majority of Orthodox Jews) runs along the lines of the opinion of the Haredim.

What DEFINITELY isn't allowed are Jews just going up onto the Temple Mount and praying there, because we have no loving idea where the Kodesh HaKodashim (Holy of Holies) is supposed to be/is going to be until the temple is actually built.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

i poo poo trains posted:

They were ready to fight for their own state 90 years ago (coincidentally during the same period where Wilson was championing the 'rights' of small nations) and they were crushed by the Turks, and they will be crushed by the Turks again whether they tried it tomorrow or in 90 years or in 900 years.

And popular opinion was that the nascent state of Israel would be destroyed or fought into a stalemate by the Holy War army and the Arab Liberation Army, that Mubarak would transfer power to his son, Gadhafi would rule in Libya for the rest of time. Never say "never" in the Middle-East because poo poo could very easily change quite dramatically, especially when no one thinks that it will ever happen.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Valley Troll posted:

There appears to be an ongoing battle on the Egyptian side of the border with Gaza.

From Haaretz:

quote:

Armed militants from the Sinai peninsula attacked an Egyptian military outpost, and tried to infiltrate the border with Israel on Sunday, the IDF spokesman confirmed on Sunday.

The spokesman said that at 8 P.M. on Sunday evening, GOC Southern Command Maj. Gen. Tal Russo, who was at the Amitai base in southern Israel, heard shooting from the area near the Kerem Shalom border crossing, on Philadelphi Road, on the border between Israel and Gaza.

“After the fact, we learned that a group from the Sinai took control of an Egyptian military post, killed between 10 and 15 Egyptians, and stole two armored vehicles called Fahds. At 8:05 P.M., one of the vehicles exploded at the Kerem Shalom crossing, and another breached the border fence and entered Israeli territory. A few moments later, we hit the vehicle from the air.”

And also from The Jerusalem Post:

quote:

Armed men attack Egyptian military base in Sinai, stealing 2 armored vehicles and ramming through Kerem Shalom Crossing; one vehicle explodes, the 2nd hit by IAF strike, at least 3 terrorists killed; no Israelis hurt.

Global jihad terrorists infiltrated into Israel on Sunday night after breaking into an Egyptian military base and stealing two armored jeeps.

One of the vehicles exploded as it rammed through the Kerem Shalom Crossing into Israel and another crossed through, after which it was targeted by an Israel Air Force strike. Simultaneously, dozens of mortar shells rained down on nearby communities.

Al Arabiya reported that 15 Egyptian soldiers were killed in the attack on their base and several more were wounded.

The attack began at around 8 PM, likely in retaliation to an Israeli airstrike earlier in the day against a global jihad terror cell which the IDF said was in the final stages of launching an attack against Israel along the Egyptian border. One terrorist was killed in the strike and another was seriously injured.

The IDF ordered residents of communities in the Eshkol Region to remain inside their homes and shut down Road 232, which runs along the border.

Good god. 15 Egyptian soldiers are dead, in one of the worst attacks on them in the Sinai ever.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Didn't one of the Knesset ministers say recently that there's only a few months left to go before any such attack would be ultimately fruitless?

They've been saying this poo poo since 2005/2006. Netanyahu is trying to keep fear of Iran alive so he can keep the Israeli publics attention away from economic problems at home (stemming from massive subsidization of Settlements and Haredim, but the social protests keep loving missing this point oi vey) and to also boosts Likuds electoral chances. The sad thing is that Avigdor "Piss off Turkey for no loving reason" Lieberman is being a voice of reason and saying "wait attacking Iran is probably a bad idea" which is proof that hell is about to freeze over as he is wrong on Literally Every Single Thing.

The question remains, though: at what point does rhetoric become action?

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

-Troika- posted:

I/P discussions are generally discouraged because they just turn into shouting matches from what I know.

I avoid posting in the I/P thread on SA and discussing it beyond explanatory posts about Israeli politics because of this exact reason. The dichotomy of discussion runs from "Khaybar khaybar ya yahood jaesh muhammad sayud" to "Israel should wipe Gaza from the face of the earth and annex the west bank and send all the Arabs to Jordan!"

vvv

The IAF is reeeallly well trained, and there are "rumors" (open secrets that is) that Saudi Arabia will allow the passage of the IAF if indeed there is a decision to bomb the nuclear plants of Iran.

Corny fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 15, 2012

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

HGH posted:

Nasrallah made a speech today and I completely missed. I thought it was a rebroadcast or something, but I heard something along the lines of all the hostages took by the Meqdad being killed? And attacking Israel again? I seriously hope he was talking about a hypothetical situation or something. Still, anyone heard what he said?

Nasrallah grandstanding about things is like the sun rising.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

New Division posted:

It ain't a real Middle Eastern war until a Chechen's been killed fighting in it! :haw:

There could be a whole effort thread devoted to just Chechnya, that place has had so much poo poo happen in it/to it all the drat time.

One of the most surreal things I've ever heard was of some Russian radio communications in the first chechen war where there was a Russian squad screaming into the radio about how they were being shelled by their own army which didn't stop firing into them even as they were screaming for their lives.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Cream_Filling posted:

I believe hezbollah has mentioned having drones in the past, acquired from Iran.

Israel also blew up a couple of rudimentary Hezbollah drones in the 2006 Hezbollah-Israel war. I'm far more inclined to believe that it was a drone specifically operated by Hezbollah, but as to whether or not it was Hezbollah made or an Iranian drone, in my opinion it could go either way.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

-Troika- posted:

Mohamed Morsi apparently made a speech today boasting about Egypt's 'victory' over Israel in the Yom Kippur war.

Who does he think he's fooling? Egypt got curb stomped in that war.

:psypop::psypop::psypop:

I wouldn't say Egypt got "curb-stomped" in the Yom Kippur war. It was a solid defeat, I don't see how in any way it could be construed as an Egyptian/Syrian 'victory', but at the point the ceasefire was signed it wasn't an absolute disaster for the egyptians/syrians.

However, had the war continued, and had the soviets and americans not gotten together and said "What the gently caress are we doing, we're about to go to war over loving israel and egypt and syria this poo poo isn't worth it" Israel would have won a victory that would have dwarfed 1967, considering they were standing 110 km from Cairo unopposed, and were 25km outside of Damascus.

edit: This line of thinking also pops up in regards to the 2006 Hezbollah-Israeli war. Hezbollah 'won' simply by virtue of the fact that they weren't completely destroyed and managed to keep firing a few rockets into Israel. On the flipside, Lebanon was completely destroyed, tourism levels plummeted into the abyss...you get the picture.

Corny fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 8, 2012

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Young Freud posted:

Yes and no. Once they would have gotten to those cities, it would have become what Lebanon turned into. And this time, they wouldn't have the Americans support, since Kissinger flat out told them that if they pursued the destruction of the Egyptian expeditionary force once Sharon had them pocketed in the Sinai, he would make sure they never got a bolt of American support ever again. And a massacre of those proportions would have gotten the Egyptians riled up that they every Egyptian male over the age of 18 would be called up and wouldn't stop until they were in Jerusalem.

I never said things would have ultimately ended well for the Israelis if the war had continued :v:

Overall, the USA and the Soviet Union telling everyone to back the gently caress off and the resulting events that stemmed from that were probably the most stabilizing events in the Middle-East for the past 100 years.

edit: Something that would be more stabilizing than that is if Israel Netanyahu would loving stop letting the settlers run the government of Israel into the ground and actually allow a free and just Palestine come to fruition. Alas.

Corny fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 8, 2012

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
Early elections were just called in Israel

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/netanyahu-announces-early-elections-1.468944

quote:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced early elections on Tuesday. According to estimates, the elections will be held in the end of January or the beginning of February.

After pushing the "red line" for Iran to the summer in his UN General Assembly speech, sources close to Netanyahu said his statements meant the elections will be held earlier than planned. This, both in order to force a security-oriented agenda on the rivals' campaigns, and because of Netanyahu's concern over U.S. President Barack Obama's likely reelection and fear of diplomatic retaliation for the Israeli premier's support of Republican candidate Mitt Romney.

Netanyahu is also looking to use his relatively positive approval rate and the Likud party's good standing in the polls to prevent potential rivals from strengthening their platforms. Absent a move toward an early vote, the country would go to the polls next autumn.

Last week, Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin called on Israel's parliament to pass a resolution to disband within a few days after it reconvenes on October 15.

MK Rivlin said he expects the country to go to the polls during the second or third week of February, with Netanyahu forming the next government.

Netanyahu held meetings last week with the heads of the other coalition parties to consider whether to step up efforts to pass the 2013 budget or move up the elections. He met with officials including Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz of his Likud party and Interior Minister Eli Yishai, who heads the ultra-Orthodox Shas party.

The prospect of early elections arose after Yishai said Shas would not support wide-ranging budget cuts, particularly cuts to benefits for the elderly, single-parent families and the poor.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Zeroisanumber posted:

Didn't Israel just have a national election over the summer?

It looked like Israel was heading for an even earlier National Election, however Netanyahu and Shaul Mofaz (of Kadima) surprise announced a joint coalition between Likud and Kadima, because Mofaz hoped to rewrite the Tal Law so that Haredi Jews could be drafted to the Israeli army. It lasted all of about a month to a month and a half, and was one of the most stupid things ever. Kadima is swiftly on its way to becoming irrelevant, and it looks like the electoral atmosphere of Israel is going back to the good old days of Labor vs Likud

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Crasscrab posted:

So Hezbollah confirmed that the drone shot down by Israel belonged to them.

In other news, the sun rose today.

What's interesting however is that it was reported in Haaretz that the drone was Iranian made, not Hezbollah made. Which makes me wonder about the technical specs of that drone considering Iran has that US drone now.

Hezbollah is probably not going to be launching waves of drones at Israel any time soon, considering the smaller ones around 11 million $ and the larger ones are around 30 million $, they're too valuable of a resource to waste like that.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

-Troika- posted:

Apparently Hezbollah's Chief Financial Officer has fled to Israel with 5 million dollars in cash.

More importantly, he also fled with a poo poo-ton of Hezbollah internal documents, and he was also the one responsible for running their telecommunications network. This is a very interesting thing that just happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
On the subject of Israel, (reposted from the Jerusalem Post because Haaretz is loving subscriber now apparently)

quote:

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman announced Thursday that the Likud and Yisrael Beytenu would be uniting to form one party ahead of national elections slated to be held on January 22.

Speaking at a joint press conference in Jerusalem, Netanyahu stated that given the major challenges facing Israel, including the need to stop Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and the threat of terror, the two parties were uniting "for a better Israel."

The prime minister stated that a "strong coalition based on one strong united list" is better for Israel. He said that the new united list would be "based on true partnership."

Liberman stated that Likud and Yisrael Beytenu had been the mainstays of the coalition over the past four years, "maybe the most stable coalition since 1948."

"We don't need fashionable parties that show up for one term and disappear," he added, in an apparent dig at the new mega-party's potential contenders.

According to Channel 2, the joint Knesset list will be called "The Likud-Beytenu". Netanyahu is expected to get the first spot on the list, while Liberman is expected to get the second spot.

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=289334

This is loving horrifying.

• Locked thread