Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Apology posted:

Sorry for the double post, y'all, but this is an entirely new protest that I hadn't heard of, the Ivory Coast in Africa:

The election was in November and the protests/standoff started soon after.

edit: Ah, protests against the sanctions. That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

But really, I don't care that I'll never get the chance to participate in something like this. What I care about is how little coverage this is getting in the US. I mentioned what was going on at work, and everyone just went "wat?". It's not getting mentioned in their schools, it's not getting mentioned on the news, it's not getting mentioned period beyond a little footnote, or page filler in the middle of the paper.

It's been a front page story in the NYT every day for over a week. Top US reporters (Anderson Cooper, Katie Couric, Nick Kristof, etc) have all been reporting on it.

Some people just don't pay attention to the rest of the world.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Ashmole posted:

ياللا بينا يا الشام

I'm waiting for Syria to go nuts.

It's started today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDHLsU-ik_Y

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm sure this veto will endear us to the new Arab democracies....

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

By the way, yesterday was the 2 month anniversary Mohamed Bouazizi immolating himself in Tunisia.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I added a bunch of pictures and videos in the D&D thread, Here's the post. This video especially is worth watching. Very graphic at end, clash between protesters and army in al-Badya, Libya.

:nms: :nws: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=103475683065662&oid=179449562095105&comments :nms: :nws:

edit: very very graphic, a guy gets his head shot off.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 19, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

quote:

Embassy staff in the Bahraini capital of Manama were also asked whether the princes had any friends among the country's Shia Muslim majority, which is behind this week's protests against the minority rule of the Sunni regime.

A bit simplistic... Not entirely wrong, but painting it in solely sectarian terms misses the point.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

A captured, well I'm not exactly sure, some sort of "anti-tank" weapon, in al-Bayda, Libya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz2ZkHP1s-I

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Paradox Personified posted:

I'll wait until youtube gets this, I don't have a facebook account.
Or is it on liveleak yet? Had to be the first site to get it, right?

Here you go, but again, it's pretty awful. :nws:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkDcrb-EwbM

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The US doesn't sell arms to Libya, the UK on the other hand, does. I'm pretty sure the footage is from Libya, but it can't be confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8z7RKkxqY0

Video of gunmen shooting at protesters in Sana'a, Yemen. Reporting indicates that these are tribesmen that support Saleh (in exchange for payment sometimes, but tribal relations are complicated). Two injured.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

tetsul posted:

I can't believe they would change a sign that says this to instead say that. They would never say anything like that. They strongly are in favor of this.

Can anyone translate?

I can't figure out what سامية means in the first one, but I"m pretty sure the bottom one (which is presumably the photoshopped one) says "No treacherous Arab will remain alive in Iran"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Oh that makes so much more sense.

"Our peaceful movement demands legitimacy."

edit: \/\\/\/ even better

Xandu fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 20, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

Bahrain's special envoy to the US thinks it's perfectly all right to slaughter people as long as it's in the interests of the ruling class:

And there are two videos on the page, one of which is marked "graphic":

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/scarce/proportional

Even the King and Crown Prince admit it was disproportionate and claim that it will be investigated. This guy is ridiculous.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks for the corrections, my Arabic's not great.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh right, they are going to "investigate" lies by one of their government officials who is probably like seven of them's brother or something?

Of course not, but my point is this guy isn't even on message.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://audioboo.fm/boos/282959-englishtrans-lpc-benghazi-man-muammar-s-special-forces-are-executing-doctors-libya-feb17

Call with man from Benghazi, with english translation.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

Of everything we've seen and heard so far, shooting doctors and using antiaircraft weapons against human beings has to be the most despicable. Burn in hell, Gaddhafi. BURN. IN. HELL.

The Jan25voices/feb17voices is a really interesting and important thing to come out of this. Being able to listen to regular people is hugely helpful. For all the talk of citizen journalism, this is one of the better examples.

Warbadger posted:

Because Chadian forces used M40 recoilless rifles against the Libyans (look up the Toyota War). So under the assumption that is in Libya (it may very well not be), that would be the most likely place Libyans got one.

You guys are talking about two different videos. The first was of a recoilless rifle in Libya and the second was of a protest in Yemen.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

A peaceful video from Libya, finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqhCQri7CCw

This is the Green Book building on fire in Benghazi. The Green Book is Ghaddafi's book on political philosophy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Some really good pictures from Benghazi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a7fadhomar/

Xandu fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 20, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

And in Morocco, the Hamburglar was shot and killed:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Apology posted:

Now why does this sound so familiar? :munch:

The difference is that he probably won't be able to flee. I'm having trouble thinking of who would accept him.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Some of African countries with very corrupt leaderships might take him. Mauritania, maybe? I don't really know.

Yeah that seems the most plausible to me, but I don't know which ones in particular. He's made a lot of enemies over the years and after this massacre, most countries will consider him untouchable.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Democrazy posted:

Has the situation in Libya really gone past the tipping point? Gaddafi can still win this.

I think it has. He can't win it without killing everybody. It's not confined to one city like it was in the beginning, he's starting to lose his base of tribal support, the fact that he's bringing in mercenaries means he can't rely on the army (some divisions are totally loyal to him, like the one commanded by his son, but not all). I can easily see him continuing to massacre people over the next week, but I don't see a way out of this for him.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nenonen posted:

And??? That's like saying "you can't get rid of this chocolate cake without eating it".

I'm aware of what happened in Hama. Some differences

1. The uprising in Hama was largely Islamist and confined to the area. Here it's spread throughout the country and has a wider base of support. There's a huge size difference between the protests as well, tons of people have come out in Libya.

2. The Syrian stranglehold over the media meant that nobody in rest of the country knew what was happening till it was over and even then, the official version of what happened was far from reality. Nowadays, video from Benghazi is on CNN and al-Jazeera and facebook) and quickly spread around the country. Gaddafi can't hide the truth from his own people.

3. The Syrian Defence Companies that went into Hama were comprised solely of Alawites (minority group that is in power) utterly loyal to the end. Here we have mercenaries and al-Jazeera just reported that they confirmed members of the army have already split from Gaddafi's forces in Benghazi. In addition, tribal groups that usually support Gaddafi have come out against him. He's starting to lose his support network.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Tripoli is still rather quiet, as Gudaffi has his supporters are out constantly on the streets crushing any dissent, if this protest is to succeed, this must spread there.

Much quieter, but things are happening in Tripoli. Caller on AJE says 2000-3000 gathered to march towards the Garden Square while burning pictures of Gaddafi. No army presence, protesters have blocked things off.

I've also heard reports of gunfire and mercenaries in Tripoli.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Videos from Misrata, appears to be a funeral procession/protest.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150101657233094&oid=197898230226131

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150101654198094&oid=197898230226131

edit: Also in Misrata, tearing down of that ridiculous green book symbol.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150101650728094&oid=197898230226131

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

sweeptheleg posted:

If anyone wants to hate on some celebrities I was surprised to find out gaddafi ships them over every now and then on his peoples dime.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/05/hannibal-gaddafi-pays-bey_n_411602.html

Nice if beyonce put up the 2 million for aid

Academics as well

http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/01/18/the_shores_of_tripoli

quote:

I was invited to give a lecture to its Economic Development Board, following in the footsteps of a number of other recent American visitors, including Frank Fukuyama, Bernard Lewis, Joseph Nye, Robert Putnam, Anne-Marie Slaughter, and Richard Perle (!).
First, although Libya is far from a democracy, it also doesn't feel like other police states that I have visited.
Nonetheless, Libya appears to be more open than contemporary Iran or China and the overall atmosphere seemed far less oppressive than most places I visited in the old Warsaw Pact.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

From the AJE Live Blog:

gently caress them, I hope they die slowly for what they did to those people.

I won't post them because it's just gratuitous violence, but in some of the videos of captured mercenaries that are floating around, they're basically being dragged through the streets bloodied and beaten.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

farraday posted:

Violent revolution is never pretty, but at this point it's hard to see how Qaddafi secures power if his mercenary forces just got crushed.

Anyone more familiar with Libya have any idea where Qaddafi could pull out a counter-revolutionary corps to fight any anti regime force coming form Benghazi?

quote:

Khamis al-Qadhafi's 32nd Brigade is one of the main regime protection forces. The 'Khamis Brigade' is considered by U.S. diplomats as the most capable of defending the regime

But it wouldn't be enough at this point I'd imagine.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Well given how lovely their current flag is....

Seriously though, there's also been a lot of mentioning of Omar Mukhtar, an old hero of Libyan independence.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

QuentinCompson posted:

Yes, and while we're at it, why don't you start talking about how they're savages who can't govern themselves?

Close your racist trap.

I was sort of hoping he was taking quadratic's statement to the extreme to prove a point.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

I heard that claimed a few times on AJE, but it's difficult to confirm anything at the moment.

They were translating a message from a tribal leader, so I'd treat it as confirmed.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JosiAgoiWow

Weapon used against protesters in Benghazi.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Don't feel like wading into this, but the reality is complicated. People in the US care a lot about saving face as well; there certainly are differences between the American and Arab culture, but it's a mistake to generalize millions of people and it's easy to take the idea of "arabs care about honor" too far and become orientalist if you don't acknowledge that culture is flexible and not everyone embodies their culture.

Xandu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JosiAgoiWow

Weapon used against protesters in Benghazi.

This appears to be an FN303 less-lethal projectile launcher. France sold 1500 to Libya in 2008.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Jut posted:

twitter is reporting more fighting in Green Square...AJE is showing some dude cooking :s

http://audioboo.fm/boos/283786-english-lpc-eyewitness-aircraft-machine-gun-used-on-demonstrators-in-greensquare-libya-tripoli-feb17

"after that mr. saif al islami talking on the news..only like 15 to 20 minutes later then we saw the cars of the 4x4s coming with a lot of soldiers who I could not distinguish if the soldiers were African or Libyans but they started shooting immediately. I saw 2 people were shot one of them in the head like 2 meters away from me and then we had to leave and we left the square. I saw even from the machine guns that they were using one machine gun that was mounted over a truck that is used to fight aircrafts. That was used against the demonstators. After that we just pulled out. After that, it's like an hour later, I can still hear the gunshots in the square to this moment."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The-Mole posted:

Which belies the real point: the only way to criticize a Middle Easterner is to sandwich it between two compliments.

I just got back from living in Beirut (whose culture is relatively distinct from the rest of the Arab world I feel) and have spent some time in Morocco. I do understand what you're saying, but the original comment was

Rotacixe posted:

There is a cultural thing which makes accepting responsibility virtually impossible.

Which is nonsensical and completely unfair, I'd hope you agree. There's nothing intrinsic to Arab culture that makes them unable to accept responsibility and when applied to Arab leaders not accepting responsibility for massacres, they have completely rational reasons for not wanting to do so that have nothing to do with culture. It's like the whole idea that Arabs only know how to deal with force or a "strong horse". It's these sort of dry stereotypes that paint cultures as monolithic and "other" that I was responded to and that's how I interpret Rotacixe's comment. And a lot of expats are just as guilty of viewing locals incorrectly (there's a very weird trend of viewing them as inferior), so I generally take these claims about Arab culture with a grain of salt unless I have reason to believe otherwise.

But your point is fair. You mention sexism and it's a huge problem. Lots of my female friends, especially in Egypt, are constantly harassed and even when women are treated respectfully, they're still treated differently. But of course, there are lots of local Arab groups working to combat that and change perceptions and not every Arab man is sexist.

Honor matters too and I don't have a lot to add to what you said, but it's dangerous to extrapolate that and view people's decisions (especially when it comes to politics or foreign policy) as extensions of that. Take Afghanistan for example, lots of American officers and "experts" point to Pashtunwali to explain how Afghan "tribal" people act and should be "dealt with." edit: forgot a line: The reality is that Afghans, like Arabs and Americans and everybody else, are people that act out of self-interest and emotion and culture can be put aside if it goes against people's self interest.

Meanwhile, in Algeria, the secret service has told Bouteflika that he must urgently reform if he wants to survive. I think they're scared of Libya.

http://www.tsa-algerie.com/politique/les-services-secrets-conseillent-a-bouteflika-d-engager-en-urgence-des-reformes_14392.html posted:

Algerian secret services have advised President Bouteflika to initiate urgent reforms to contain the social anger, as the contents of a report recently presented to the Head of State and revealed this Sunday, February 20 by the website of the chain Qatari Al Jazeera. This report was prepared at the request of Bouteflika himself to understand the reasons for the riots that marked the country in early January 2011 and the protests that shook several sectors (health, justice, local, etc.)..

It was found that the popular anger is related to the general rise in food prices and the policies pursued by Prime Minister Ahmed Ouyahia. Echoing the president's advisers, the site of Al Jazeera announced that Bouteflika will have to part with his prime minister. "He must appoint another person to be better accepted by the population. Discussions are still at the Presidency to choose this person, "is said.

It is also reported that the head of state will change the ministers who have long remained in the government. As it was announced that Bouteflika will deliver a speech, probably 24 February instant, at the occasion of the anniversary of the nationalization of hydrocarbons. "There will announce landmark decisions in response to popular demands. It is expected that the President confirmed the final lifting of emergency rule, it is stressed. Moreover, according to the same source, President Bouteflika has asked that we respond clearly to the question of its popularity, more than a year after the start of his third term.

In fact, according to our information the government was aware at the end of 2010 a sudden deterioration in the social situation in Algeria. Intelligence Services (DRS) have alerted policymakers to the extent of popular discontent and an impending social explosion, based on field surveys and expert conclusions. The reports were handed over to authorities before the deadly riots against the high cost of living in early January, even before the outbreak of the revolt in Tunisia. These reports cover all aspects, including information management and television.

The government has been receiving detailed reports on the social situation to the brink of explosion, resulting from the accumulation of social problems, widespread corruption, bureaucratic nitpicking of directors and the opacity in the distribution of social housing, captured by the pistons and the client system to the detriment of the real needy.

The security services have even provided policymakers with proposals to end the crisis and proposed social measures to be taken urgently to alleviate the social front. He was asked for example to policy makers at central and local levels to communicate more with citizens, to explain the state efforts to rebuild the country, solving the housing crisis and water. Local radio stations would serve as conduits for these communication operations. The security services have also advocated the opening of the television debate. But locally, some officials, including walis, refused to follow these instructions.

At the same time, the security services were also well prepared to suppress no casualties demonstrations and marches against the government. They took advantage of Tunisian and Egyptian experiences, but also from their own experience in the fight against the movements of crowds, especially during deadly riots in 2001 that had overshadowed the Kabylie.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 21, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I must have missed it, but was there some one event that put all this in motion? Something that happened in Egypt two weeks ago or so that was the straw that broke the camel's back?

The OP is actually pretty good, albeit out of order.

But yeah, there were longstanding problems in all of these countries and the success of Tunisia helped to inspire people in other countries to rise up.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was just curious why it happened exactly when it did. Did the government announce some new policy that finally pushed people over the edge?

In Tunisia? Not exactly. The economic downturn had made unemployment a lot worse and raised the price of food, which was important. There was a rather brutal crackdown in Sidi Bouzid after residents protested after Bouazizi's death, and that prompted protests around the country, and the authorities cracked down on those, and it spun out of control over the course of about a month.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think he mentioned Israel (along with the US, Europe, and everybody else) when he was talking about foreign interference and potential invaders, but I can't find a transcript.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's semi-independent of the Arab world. The secession of South Sudan has put a lot of pressure on Bashir. But 2015 is a long way away, who knows what he'll actually end up doing. Saleh (Yemen) said the same thing a week or two ago, but nobody believes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Interim Egyptian cabinet has leaked, to be announced within 24 hours. Some look good, lots of bad, the full link has more comments.

http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-interim-cabinet.html posted:

Ahmed Shafik as prime minister.

Dr. Yehia El-Gamal as the deputy of the prime minister for the national dialogue. “I think Dr. El-Gamal who was a minister during the Nasserite era is the oldest minister in Egypt now. He was from the founders of the democratic front party”

Mounir Fakhri Abdel Nour as the minister of tourism. ‘The first name to be leaked since afternoon, the first official member of opposition to be chosen in interim cabinet.
He is very active member of Al Wafd party. The famous Christian politician comes from long time Wafd family’

Dr. Gouda Abdel Khalek as minister of social security “ The famous leftist professor of economics has been long time critics of Mubarak’s economic policies. He is a member of the unionist leftist party in Egypt and has been from the strongest candidates to head it after Rafaat Al Said.”

Mohamed Abdel Manam El-Sawy as minister of culture “ The founder of the famous El-Sawy culture wheel, his name was the along the minister of culture’s candidates
list since the time of Hosni Mubarak. Ironically his father was the minister of information and culture in 1977. There is a split in opinion about him.”

Dr. Georgette Kelliny as minister of the newly founded Egyptian expats ministry

Ahmed Abdel Fatah as minister of oil “he headed previously the oil exploration authority and it is said that he did not go along with Sameh Fahmi”

Dr. Maged Othman as ministers of telecommunications “ he headed the IDSC”

Dr. Hany Sarie El-Din as minister of commerce and investment “The chairman of the MIL and used to be the head of Egypt capital market authority. Here is his bio from
his official website. I am not comfortable to anyone who headed any financial authority during the Mubarak era.”

Dr. Ahmed Gamal Al Din Moussa as the minister of education. “He already served as minister of education from 13/7/ 2004 to 30/12/2005. Here is his official website.
He was accused of being close to the Muslim brotherhood ”

Dr. Amr Salama as the minister of scientific search. “He served as the minister of high education during the Mubarak era in 2004 and his father was a minister too during
the 1960s”

A lot of big ministry positions (Foreign affairs, interior, finance) are apparently not being changed. Reuters has also reported an imminent cabinet shuffle, though they didn't give any names, so this seems plausible.

edit: The P.S. seemed to go without saying if this cabinet formation is true.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 21, 2011

• Locked thread