Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

feedmegin posted:

It's unlikely, sure, but bear in mind the Serbs did in fact shoot down an F-117. Stealth isn't the same as invulnerable.

This was due to some cunning tactics against what is actually a pretty old and relatively slow fighter (30 years now) that looked and handled like a prototype. If this is the incident I'm thinking of, the flights became quite predictable. After determining when and where the aircraft would appear, they moved launchers into an ideal intercept position and then turned their equipment on at just the right time, getting a perfect view and being able to fire without spooking the pilot well ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

God, the US should really just leave this to the EU and AL. Those Republican senators are like children.

The overall US position has been along those lines, luckily :)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Obama's speaking right now, check the AlJ English stream.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Good on Obama and Clinton to call bullshit on the "cease fire"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mine said "military force" but I don't have time to get an accompanying graphic.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ah, but what of his voluptuous Ukrainian nurse?

I think it was reported by her daughter (?) that she was returning home, since you asked.

Edit:
AJE Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEaLJLXdi78

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

cioxx posted:

I'm sorry, but the far-left in America should never again attempt to speak about foreign affairs. Most of these people are just as bad as teabaggers.

I so will I die waiting if I ask you to either show that 50% 33% 25% are as bad as teabaggers, or to correct yourself?

We need more news or something because reading about shotgun spiderman, left wingers, and rwanda aren't what I came here for.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

We could just not bring up what American crazies say to begin with, let's leave our coverage of America to what the government is actually doing regarding Africa and the Middle East, and what our news media is failing to do. Less about historical crap or politicking.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

When the media outlets report being at a press conference that ends with doors conveniently bursting open after final remarks, with people holding photographs of glorious leader singing songs in a "spontaneous flash mob at this particular press room," I think it's clear that it's propaganda.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Stroh M.D. posted:

It should be added that Hilsum isn't exactly balanced in the report. Quotes:

quote:
Osprey aircraft came in, all guns blazing, assuming – as the American military tends to do – that this was hostile territory.

This suggests a bias.

All guns blazing? An Osprey is not exactly a Hind or a Huey here, the drat thing only has one optional add-on .308 gun on the bottom and maybe a guy with an optional add-on .308 and lovely view angles shooting out the back hatch once you land. You're not cruising around gunning down hostiles in an Osprey.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

JIR499 posted:

A Marine captain on the Kearsarge denied that Marines on the V-22 Osprey opened fire. But that might not exclude any firing by US forces:

Denial (UK Telegraph)

Perhaps the F-15s wingman came down to ground level, or another coalition aircraft scouting the area for parachutes opened fire.

Most Ospreys don't even have the optional gun so it's not unbelievable that the Osprey was unarmed, and an F-15's autocannons are designed for anti-materiel purposes. They're not simple machine guns like on World War aircraft and are entirely unsuitable for warning shots or just scaring people so they'll run.

None of it adds up. Ospreys weren't blazing guns, and modernesque fighters weren't giving warning shots.

^^^^ :ohdear: They do have a good combat radius...

Edit: Oh gently caress, bombs? Yeah, that's probably a good explanation for how the guy got shrapnel in his back. I'm not sure how reporters or witnesses would confuse that with a pow-pow from guns, or miss the explosions :psyduck:

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 22, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

Do Americans fly Harriers?

The McDonnel Douglass Boeing AV-8B Harrier II, yes. The USS Kearsarge marine helicarrier amphibious assault ship we've got parked off Libya's coast has them.

\/\/\/ She's literally making poo poo up.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 22, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Vir posted:

Welcome to war reporting in the Greater Middle East.

:eng99: At least she's an older woman, I'm willing to give her a bit of a pass.

Alright, so it sounds like there is still information coming in about the aircraft loss and pilot rescue. Let me see if I have it straight so far. Two guys ejected at high altitude after a malfunction, and landed apart unsurprisingly.

Next, a pair of patrol jets (Harriers) saw armored vehicles headed his way, suspected them hostile, and did a threatening flyover. The armored vehicles did not adjust course, so they dropped small precision bombs. Neither side has reported casualties resembling those losses.

An earlier report (perhaps now amended?) suggests that one of the downed pilots may have requested the strike to ward off unknown forces inbound on his position. That does not necessarily conflict, as "I see things coming to me, can you scare them off" from the pilot might equate to "Okay we see vehicles moving to him" for the Harriers... although that's more speculation trying to rectify the discrepency.

Two Osprey helicopteresque aircraft are sent to conduct a rescue of one pilot after the other is safely in rebel hands. Eyewitnesses say they did see helicopter(s) arrive to rescue the pilot. One reporter suggests the (by all accounts unarmed) Ospreys fired upon a crowd of civilians with what must have been small caliber weapons to warn them. A couple reports of other aircraft strafing, but no outside reports of the Harrier jets dropping their bombs.

Is there more or less where things stand?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

JIR499 posted:

Under the act, the President has 60 days to ask for authorization plus and extension period of some number of days -- I think 60 more. He has to notify congress within 2 days, which he did yesterday.

Now that letter to keep them informed is pretty quaint :shobon:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Young Freud posted:

I'd rather see a "soft" takedown, where you jam the television signal and replace it with your own broadcasts or international news.

Yeah, this. It might be really handy, once Gadaffi is eventually out of power, to have a state television program that can help direct people to UN relief areas or announce elections. The US has its own propaganda plane in the area for now, but that thing can't stay forever.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Cicero posted:

Nothing wrong with informed discussion or disagreement.

You were missing a key part, and that key unlocks the secret of why Facebook political debates with your more laid-back friends turn out generally retarded.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Contraction mapping posted:

Yeah, I know many metals burn, I just figured that temperature would be pretty high for aluminum; ie high enough that it wouldn't be all that easy to pull off without incendiary weapons of some sort. Thanks ^^ Killer robot.

A while back one of those US Postal Service trucks caught fire, from just a cig that the guy dropped or something. Can't remember the full details, but the guy I was talking to pointed out that the aluminum roof caught fire from that. Granted it's pretty thin compared to what you'd find on an armored vehicle, but just the mail burning in the boxy interior was enough to do it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

1) This is impossible to determine as of right now.

2) I stated that the number of rebels numbers 2000, not supporters. However, what good is a supporter in a civil war if they are not actively fighting against the other side?

Edit: My mistake it appears that there are 2000 rebels in Brega. Not all around.

3) The way I see it, if only 2000 people managed to show up to stand up to Gaddafi at Brega then he has wider support than the rebels. If it turns out that the number of rebel fighters and rebel supporters is smaller than the number of Gaddafi supporters then the entire "revolution" was a farce to begin with.

1) You can't support your claims, but stand by them anyway
2) You went to support your claims, then realized you couldn't
3) "What good is a supporter in a civil war if they are not actively fighting against the other side?"

I haven't heard of many rebels defecting to the Gaddafi side, but there are nearly constant reports of Libyan military commanders, troops, and vehicles turning over. There are reports of imprisoned or burned soldiers and civilians who intended to help the rebel cause but were weeded out or targeted out of government paranoia.

It sounds a lot like people are either complacent or terrified, and have been for decades, rather than being "Gaddaffi supporters" if they don't immediately jump up to join the revolution and probably sacrifice their lives (metaphorically and literally).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

What is chatr-wp7.com/Content/Images/a.jpg supposed to be? It's in your post but does not show up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

A url to an image without the "http://"?

An IIS error page?.

(Who are you talking to?)

The post immediately prior to mine, I didn't realize it was a page cutoff for default post views when I made it. I'm a terrible page sniper.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Latest NATO Report

Does NATO always do these reports like this, or is this a new thing for the current conflict in Libya? They're suprisingly succinct and convenient summaries. I can't remember any other virtually day by day official war reports like this but maybe I just wasn't paying attention in the past.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Can anybody who understands Arabic confirm that off the stream?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Chade Johnson posted:

I heard that every brigade in the Libyan Army defected and that all of Gaddafis family is dead and he is currently holed up in the wolfs den

Wow you're telling us that random bits on twitter are unreliable? :allears: You've already made a point that is self-evident to anybody reasonable, no need to harp on it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

This is a really boring way of saying you disagree.

You must be autistic or something, because you are entirely wrong and it was actually a rather vivid and fresh way of saying he disagrees, full of imagery and even scent :)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Well this certainly sounds like a good news day for the rebels so far. Any idea on the size of those runways? That would dictate what could land there, especially if there's damage.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

C-130's full of aid supplies?

Don't think NATO would shoot down their own poo poo... intentionally.

Right. They keep having delays with shipping in supplies, it sounds like. It can be difficult to secure the port, there were the mines and fires, and then verification of who's got what on their boat. It sounds like it would be a lot easier and a lot faster to fly in military cargo aircraft full of supplies, and also easier to fly out anybody that had to leave instead of waiting on ships.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Wasn't CQ threatening to bomb more civilians, spread weapons among loyalist civilians, and turn the thing into a Vietnam Part Two back when we were still pondering a no fly zone? And wasn't he threatening (and now trying) to attack aid ships? And threatening to attack passenger aircraft and boats in the Mediterranean?

Because that would have happened even if the US in particular wasn't involved. I'd say those threats against Mediterranean traffic are pretty much a declaration of war against NATO-member civilians if not the countries themselves.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paradox Personified posted:

If it helps, I'm looking forward to you posting some more news instead of whining at that guy some more. He got his custom title, you should be happy enough.

Happiness is when he gets a clue and stops posting counterproductive bullshit. I don't think anybody appreciates it when disinformation is arrogantly posted, unsourced, just because it's GBS and apparently to you that means a red title gives you a free pass to shitpost. It is objectively worse than unconfirmed Twitter reports, which are generally marked as thus and often are breaking news even if there is a cloud of uncertainty because they're being posted by scared, untrained observers in the middle of a war. It's cool to see dissenting opinions, the official CQ party line, and raw reports of what people think they saw since it helps set the atmosphere, but your pal there goes beyond that.

Speaking of CQ, in some lighter news, it sounds like he lost nearly all of his Goldman Sachs investments, but was offered a chance to become a major stakeholder in response to his threats until those talks fell apart in 2009. No wonder he's not keen on retiring.

quote:

A bitter rift has opened up between the world's most powerful bank and one of its most fearsome dictators after Goldman Sachs invested $1.3bn (£790m) of Colonel Gaddafi's money – and lost virtually all of it.

According to an investigation by the Wall Street Journal, Goldman offered to make Gaddafi one of its biggest investors as compensation for losing 98% of the money the Wall Street firm invested on behalf of the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA). This left the $53bn Gaddifi-controlled sovereign wealth fund, which elsewhere has stakes in companies such as Financial Times-owner Pearson and BP, with just $25.1m of the money it entrusted to Goldman.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/may/31/goldman-sachs-libya-investment

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 1, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It would surprise a lot of people if it were true, by virtue of the fact that the Libyan government is full of terrible liars who lie terribly.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

As far as I know there are literally red battle lines on maps that the rebels are supposed to stay behind, lest NATO confuse them for CQ forces and to prevent them from getting themselves into trouble.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

shotgunbadger posted:

Seriously not trolling when I ask, is this the line? If AQAP gets their fingers in does it magically not count as fighting a despot? What happened to Arab Spring? Just because in, say, Libya AQAP has no real power you can't discount them as a group.

I am pretty sure I've seen reports that the legitimized rebels in Libya, for example, discount the participation of extremists and have shouted them down or told them to get the gently caress out (or not enter rebel territory in the first place). Gadaffi specifically tried to paint the rebels there as Al Qaida, and they vehemently denied this as more of his lies; some captured government fighters have claimed they honestly believed the party line that they were fighting off AQ terrorists.

So I guess, in the Libyan example during this Arab Spring, the rebels themselves have drawn the line for us. I'm not trying to be a jerk but it's obvious that there is a difference between rebels in a popular uprising and terrorists, despite the fact that AQ has tried to tie their cart to this wagon. Luckily AQ is doing a terrible job so far in their effort to co-opt the revolutions.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

shotgunbadger posted:

Do you honestly believe NATO and the upper class have no incentive to lie?

I honestly believe this is a question instead of an answer. You were asked something and choose to deflect it and cause a derail instead. Perhaps you are too stubborn to answer, perhaps you are ashamed of your own beliefs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

:psyduck: I just thought I'd come check it out, he says. Really I've been hoping that warzone tourism will never come to exist as an industry. But, I guess some people are dumb enough to go try it themselves.

quote:

Al Nawfaliyah, Libya — At this rebel outpost in the middle of the desert near the front lines of the fight with Muammar Qaddafi’s loyalists, a gaggle of rebel fighters gathers in a circle, laughing, cheering, and filming with their mobile phones.

In the center stands a 21-year-old American college student from Los Angeles.

Chris Jeon wears a cobalt basketball jersey emblazoned with the words “Los Angeles” and the number 44, camouflage pants, and black and white Converse sneakers. Around his neck hangs a spent ammunition casing on a string, and a black and white scarf is wrapped around his head, courtesy of the rebel fighters.

Why is he here?

“This is one of the few real revolutions,” he said. “I just thought I’d come check it out.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44359943/ns/world_news-christian_science_monitor/?GT1=43001

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

change my name posted:

He had to do something when lf closed.

That's not really him is it? The photo doesn't look like what I remember from the prove-I'm-there videos.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

farraday posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure this is entirely valid. The problem is more that since the NTC won, they have every reason to say "gently caress you" to the sides which supported Qaddafi. Diplomatically it won't be a closed door, but the international economic/political call to support one side or the other has to factor in the consequence of doing so if your side loses.

I didn't think NATO was giving weapons to the man murdering his subjugated subjects, which is what China was doing. So "well they supported the rebels" is a dumb defense for "you caught us supporting the madman."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Let's hope all the rebels remember who voted against it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Ham posted:

I really think you should give this a rest, it's kind of obsessive. I'm sure he won't be on CNN sniping Libyan babies anytime soon. Just because someone is a weirdo online doesn't mean they're gonna kill people.

You do realize there is a difference between acting weird online, and actually flying out to Libya and performing untrained medical and combat operations under pretenses of knowing what the gently caress you're doing. Right? Because he's actually doing that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Xandu posted:

There's relevant tribal and regional differences that could cause problems, though.

I've heard it's mostly hometown/regional than family/tribal. Especially when a few of the cities now feel like they were the last stand that began to turn the tide.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm sorta looking forward to more timelined pic dumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

THE HORSES rear end posted:

One thing I've taken away from Caro's videos is that this Libya conflict seems almost like a video game sometimes, even every FPS trope about storing weapons and ammunition.

Plus barrels, don't forget those.

• Locked thread