Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Obscurity posted:

So my girlfriend just texted me a picture of a positive test and called me to talk about it. We're wondering about the posibility of false positives. She's got one kid right now, so she's been down this path before, but I'm new to it. She plans to take a second test in a couple days. Should I make sure she goes to a doctor regardless of what the results of the second test are? I'm assuming the obvious answer is yes.

Not entirely sure what to think as this is all new to me. Here's a backstory that gives more insight on the confusion:

We started having sex a month ago (long story short we've admired each other for a year but only just recently got together when we both became single). Her period is irregular due to one of this inserted birth control devices..not sure the name of it. The device has a 5 year span, but has been in her for 7 years. She stated her periods sometimes are irregular, but we wanted to be sure. She took a test (2 weeks after period due) and it was negative. She took a second test later and it came up negative.

Recently, she started having some morning sickness and mood swings and the like so she nervously took another test tonight. It came up with a positive.

Not sure what to think with this. First we get a negative now a positive. Obviously the doctor is the best answer..I'm just sitting here trying to wrap my mind around it I guess since it just happened.

False positives are very rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 15, 2019

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Obscurity posted:

So my girlfriend just texted me a picture of a positive test and called me to talk about it. We're wondering about the posibility of false positives. She's got one kid right now, so she's been down this path before, but I'm new to it. She plans to take a second test in a couple days. Should I make sure she goes to a doctor regardless of what the results of the second test are? I'm assuming the obvious answer is yes.

Not entirely sure what to think as this is all new to me. Here's a backstory that gives more insight on the confusion:

We started having sex a month ago (long story short we've admired each other for a year but only just recently got together when we both became single). Her period is irregular due to one of this inserted birth control devices..not sure the name of it. The device has a 5 year span, but has been in her for 7 years. She stated her periods sometimes are irregular, but we wanted to be sure. She took a test (2 weeks after period due) and it was negative. She took a second test later and it came up negative.

Recently, she started having some morning sickness and mood swings and the like so she nervously took another test tonight. It came up with a positive.

Not sure what to think with this. First we get a negative now a positive. Obviously the doctor is the best answer..I'm just sitting here trying to wrap my mind around it I guess since it just happened.

Pregnancy tests work by detecting a hormone that starts getting released about 10 to 14 days after ovulation. If your girlfriends periods are really irregular it could be that she just ovulated super late that month, so 2 weeks after her period was due might have only been a few days after she ovulated. Also some pregnancy tests are better than others, some women have more concentrated pee, etc, etc.

But in almost all cases if the test is done following the manufacturers guidelines and your girlfriend isn't on any odd medication even a faint positive pregnancy test is a positive. False negatives are much much more common.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I talked to her and she's going to go to the doctor no matter what. This is very exciting and scary!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Obscurity posted:

I talked to her and she's going to go to the doctor no matter what. This is very exciting and scary!

If she has an IUD, which she sounds like she does, she does need to go to the doctor asap for some potential serious medical reasons. http://miscarriage.about.com/od/riskfactors/f/pregnant-with-iud.htm

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Alterian posted:

If she has an IUD, which she sounds like she does, she does need to go to the doctor asap for some potential serious medical reasons. http://miscarriage.about.com/od/riskfactors/f/pregnant-with-iud.htm

This, please! Congrats if it isn't a false positive, but if the IUD is expired, it needs to come out. Not to mention if she's pregnant, I'm not sure if that will harm her or the baby. Either way, that implant needs to come out ASAP.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Oh wow that's scary! It says there is an equal chance to not cause a miscarriage, and that a doctor can advise on what to do. When she goes to the Dr. for the checkup on pregnancy she is going to talk about it with them then.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
When did you all start creating a bedtime routine? Toby is a month old and he's waking up every 2-3 hours at night still, I try to keep him awake as much as possible during the day and feed him frequently (my pediatrician's advice) but the kid could sleep through a bomb going off 2 feet from his head, and I have a hard time keeping him awake if I do actually get him to wake up. He currently is getting up at 4am every morning and not going back to sleep until 10am or so too. I would really like to encourage him to sleep a little later in the morning if it's at all possible, I would be happy with 5 or 6 at this point. Is he too young at a month to really try to establish a bedtime?

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

rangergirl posted:

When did you all start creating a bedtime routine? Toby is a month old and he's waking up every 2-3 hours at night still, I try to keep him awake as much as possible during the day and feed him frequently (my pediatrician's advice) but the kid could sleep through a bomb going off 2 feet from his head, and I have a hard time keeping him awake if I do actually get him to wake up. He currently is getting up at 4am every morning and not going back to sleep until 10am or so too. I would really like to encourage him to sleep a little later in the morning if it's at all possible, I would be happy with 5 or 6 at this point. Is he too young at a month to really try to establish a bedtime?

That sounds about right! We started a "routine" around 3 months. No set bedtime, just looking for sleepy signs and then diaper, jammies, paci, rocking in the dark/nursing. To encourage "sleepytime" we kept lights dim even if it was technically morning. We had a blackout curtain. We didn't start a firm bedtime until around 9 months when she started crawling and all hell broke loose.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

rangergirl posted:

D didn't start sleeping through the night until around 3 months, and even then it was a tossup as to whether we'd be awake at 2 or awake at 6. We started introducing a casual bedtime routine at around 4 months (wait for sleepy cues and then change and nurse to sleep), and we've got a set routine now at 6 months. When we get home from day care, we play a bit, have some solid food, nurse, play or take a bath, nurse again to sleep, all at the same time each night. As he gets older and starts teething/is weaned, we'll adjust the routine as needed.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

We've done a set bedtime routine since birth; she gets fed, then her bath, massage with lotion, sleepsuit, then fed to sleep. As a newborn it tended to be quite late (around 10pm) and I would go to bed at the same time to maximise sleep. Gradually we brought it back, a half hour at a time, aided by a blackout curtain to make it seem later!

Now (3 months) she's usually in bed by 7pm, and if it gets as late as 8pm she gets pretty screamy tired. Sometimes she sleeps straight through til early morning, or like last night she woke for a feed at 2am, 6am, and then got up at 8:30. Doing the same routine every night really helps I think.

Helanna fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 15, 2012

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

CravingSolace posted:

This, please! Congrats if it isn't a false positive, but if the IUD is expired, it needs to come out. Not to mention if she's pregnant, I'm not sure if that will harm her or the baby. Either way, that implant needs to come out ASAP.

So about 2 or so weeks ago she called to make an appointment to get the IUD removed, but the office explained to her she'd need to obtain her medical records before they could schedule her to get it removed. Her medical records are in a different state and will take 30 days to arrive once requested. If she is pregnant and has this IUD in her, but does not have the records..is there any way around this since it's a medical risk? Anyone have advice on what to do other than waiting out the 30 days for the records (which will probably make things too late for removal)?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That's really a question for her doctor.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Alterian posted:

That's really a question for her doctor.

Agreed. Call the doctor!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

They can remove an IUD without get medical records. I've had it done twice now.

The more important thing is that she needs to be seen asap. There is a very high chance of ectopic pregnancy when you get pregnant with a Mirena in, which can kill her if it goes untreated and damage her tubes even with treatment. She needs to call the doctor, explain the situation, and be seen immediately. Not several weeks from now.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Go to the doctor. Call them, tell them she has an IUD and is pregnant.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ceridwen posted:

They can remove an IUD without get medical records. I've had it done twice now.

The more important thing is that she needs to be seen asap. There is a very high chance of ectopic pregnancy when you get pregnant with a Mirena in, which can kill her if it goes untreated and damage her tubes even with treatment. She needs to call the doctor, explain the situation, and be seen immediately. Not several weeks from now.

She's being bullheaded about the whole situation, but still plans to see the doctor this coming week. I figured if we explained the situation they'd help without records.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 21, 2017

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Obscurity posted:

She's being bullheaded about the whole situation, but still plans to see the doctor this coming week. I figured if we explained the situation they'd help without records.

You seriously need to tell her that this could cause incredibly serious complications for herself & the baby if she does not get seen by a doctor. If the doctor she's trying to see doesn't think this is an emergency situation that needs to be attended to immediately, I would find another doctor.

From the Mirena website:
"What if I become pregnant while using Mirena?

Unfortunately, no birth control method, including Mirena or even getting your tubes tied, is 100% perfect. If you do get pregnant while using a birth control method, there can be risks to you and your baby. Here we talk about the risks of getting pregnant while Mirena is still in place.

Less than 8 in 1,000 women become pregnant over the course of the five years using Mirena. One risk of getting pregnant using Mirena is called ectopic pregnancy, when the pregnancy is not in the uterus. It may occur in the fallopian tubes. Signs of ectopic pregnancy may include unusual bleeding or abdominal pain. Ectopic pregnancy is an emergency that requires immediate medical attention and often surgery. Ectopic pregnancy can cause internal bleeding, infertility and even death. Call your healthcare provider right away if you think that you're pregnant.

There are also risks if you get pregnant while using Mirena and the pregnancy is in the uterus. Severe infection, miscarriage, premature delivery and even death can occur with pregnancies that continue with an intrauterine device (IUD). Because of this, your healthcare provider may try to remove Mirena, even though removing it may cause a miscarriage. If Mirena cannot be removed, talk with your healthcare provider about the benefits and risks of continuing the pregnancy."

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Obscurity posted:

Yeah, this is serious business. My mother got pregnant while she had an IUD in place and the doctor recommended an abortion--this was in the 70s, and I expect there are more options now, but it's not something to wait on. Good luck to you both.

Lullabee posted:

So you guys might not have experienced this, since it seems no girls in my birth group have:
I'm almost 19 weeks, and occasionally I get sharp little stretches on one side of my uterus. It's always the side the baby is on (one sides soft, the others not). I'm plenty hydrated, so I'm guessing this is normal and just the kid stretching/moving about? It's never longer than a few seconds and not constant, so I assume it is. I just mainly ask because apparently its not common, at least enough that something like 200 moms who aren't first time moms have never experienced it.

Do you mean pain, like a muscle acting up? I've had a lot of funny little twinges and pains and general feeling-muscles-and-ligaments-being-weird. Or is it more like pressure from within? Because that sounds like the little dude(tte) poking about. Anyway, sounds pretty benign!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Lullabee posted:

So you guys might not have experienced this, since it seems no girls in my birth group have:
I'm almost 19 weeks, and occasionally I get sharp little stretches on one side of my uterus. It's always the side the baby is on (one sides soft, the others not). I'm plenty hydrated, so I'm guessing this is normal and just the kid stretching/moving about? It's never longer than a few seconds and not constant, so I assume it is. I just mainly ask because apparently its not common, at least enough that something like 200 moms who aren't first time moms have never experienced it.

Just got home from a class on labor. They said there are ligaments (one each side of the uterus and one in the back) that attach to the uterus. Those sharp stabbing pains are the ligaments stretching. Maybe that's what you're feeling.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 21, 2017

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
It's generally not so much the kidlet stretching your ligaments--you've got hormones relaxing them. The ligaments are loosening up and getting more weight on them at the same time, as your uterus grows, so there's a lot of potential for discomfort. The ligaments around your pelvis also do this loosening.

I found that this happened way sooner and way more painfully with this second pregnancy, so that's, uh, something to look forward to if you're lucky?

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I expect there are more options now,

Sadly, there really aren't. My sister-in-law managed to get pregnant with twins while using an IUD. Her doctor straight up recommended abortion (we're Canadian if that makes a difference) and told her that removing the IUD was likely to cause miscarriage, but not removing it would likely have the same results. They decided to keep the pregnancy and leave the IUD in and she ended up miscarrying at four months anyways. She's really lucky that, aside from the miscarriage there were no complications that directly impacted her health. I'll never understand why people will be bullheaded about going to the doctor for things that could potentially kill you. :/

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Any of you have to deal with family members that are either completely ambivalent or more excited than you are about your pregnancy? On my side, my mother really does not give a poo poo. This will be my first kid, but her 5th grandchild (I'm the youngest, and live in a different country) and it kind of bums me out that I can't talk to her about my concerns or questions without her quickly changing the subject to something she finds more interesting, but on Mr. Shrew's side, he's the oldest and this will be the first grandchild/great grandchild and I get a lot of "YOU MUST BE SO EXCITED!" and I can't really go "actually, I'm more terrified and weirded out than anything"
It kind of sucks having nothing but extreme sides of the spectrum, and I'm not sure what to do aside from mope around on internet pregnancy boards.

Bambina
Sep 25, 2007
I said no biting
I'm 41 weeks now and of course have been trying to move things along. The midwife asked if I have stairs in my house :cheeky:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Bambina posted:

I'm 41 weeks now and of course have been trying to move things along. The midwife asked if I have stairs in my house :cheeky:
No but I can come over if I need to! :cheeky:
Seriously though, same thing happened to me. Go for a walk, drive over speed bumps if it makes you feel better, but in the end all that really helps is time. Good luck and don't worry, it won't be more than a few days now!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Birth class today said to walk down the street like a little kid with one foot on the curb and one foot in the gutter :)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just an update about my situation:

Girlfriend has been complaining about abdominal and back pains. I told her that pregnancy with an IUD is serious and she really needs to get to a doctor. She finally went to the ER today. She is -NOT- pregnant. Apparently she may be developing kidney stones, which caused the pain, and can also cause changes in the urine which gave the false positive.

Lessoned learned, though. She is going to be calling a doctor this week about getting the IUD removed. When she called last time they wanted medical records, but I'm hoping she can just say "I had a pregnancy scare" and they will remove them w/o med. records.

Either way..not pregnant this time..but after IUD is removed we plan to continue trying as we were both very excited.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Obscurity posted:

Girlfriend has been complaining about abdominal and back pains. I told her that pregnancy with an IUD is serious and she really needs to get to a doctor. She finally went to the ER today. She is -NOT- pregnant. Apparently she may be developing kidney stones, which caused the pain, and can also cause changes in the urine which gave the false positive.

Lessoned learned, though. She is going to be calling a doctor this week about getting the IUD removed. When she called last time they wanted medical records, but I'm hoping she can just say "I had a pregnancy scare" and they will remove them w/o med. records.

Either way..not pregnant this time..but after IUD is removed we plan to continue trying as we were both very excited.

That's good to hear she's not pregnant in this situation?

How long have you guys been dating? You said you've only been sleeping together for a month, but you know you want to have kids together?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Made it through the weekend and was able to enjoy my baby shower without going into labor! :)

Although now my back hurts, my stomach is sore (although still numb on the outside which is such a bizarre sensation), and it feels like someone kicked me right in the crotch. It comes and goes, and a friend of mine said that means he's just sitting very low now. My next appointment with my OB is on Wed., so I'll see if I dilated any more.

Also, a question about detergent: My husband and I bought this expensive pediatrician-recommended detergent. A friend pointed out that we'd have to wash our clothes with it, too, since the baby will be held against us all day. I didn't even think of that. Does the brand really matter, so long as it's unscented and whatnot? Or should we stick with the baby detergent?

Sorry if this seems like such a silly question. I'm just worrying about every little detail.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Obscurity posted:

I'm glad your girlfriend is okay, and I hope they'll take the IUD out without a big hassle. Although I'm confused as well. I know you mentioned that you admired each other for a while, but didn't you only start dating recently? Is this something you two have seriously discussed?

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

CravingSolace posted:

Also, a question about detergent:

We use regular detergent, and run the rinse cycle twice. I guess it's a toss up between slightly more expensive utilities or fancy detergent? Either way, we've had no problems.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
There's a laundry facility on site at our apartment complex, but running the rinse cycle twice might get expensive. Although the price of the detergent kind of evens it out, I guess.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
We use All Free and Clear, not a baby detergent, and just wash normally. We never had a problem.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Obscurity posted:

Might be a good idea to wait a few months before you start trying, firstly so your girlfriends cycles can normalise after having the IUD taken out, and secondly to make sure she isn't rushing into anything because of the emotional effect of thinking she was pregnant, coming to terms with it and then finding out she wasn't.

Re Washing detergent: I think any non-bio stuff is fine, that's what we used for all our laundry.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

CravingSolace posted:

Although now my back hurts, my stomach is sore (although still numb on the outside which is such a bizarre sensation), and it feels like someone kicked me right in the crotch. It comes and goes, and a friend of mine said that means he's just sitting very low now. My next appointment with my OB is on Wed., so I'll see if I dilated any more.

Also, a question about detergent: My husband and I bought this expensive pediatrician-recommended detergent. A friend pointed out that we'd have to wash our clothes with it, too, since the baby will be held against us all day. I didn't even think of that. Does the brand really matter, so long as it's unscented and whatnot? Or should we stick with the baby detergent?

Sorry if this seems like such a silly question. I'm just worrying about every little detail.

If you have a yoga/exercise ball, that helped me a lot with the kicked in the crotch feeling toward the end. The lack of a firm seat was awesome.

I've always used Tide Free & Clear for my husband and I because laundry detergent sensitivities are common on my side of the family, so I've been washing the baby's clothes in that and we've had no problems. You might want to see how your baby does with the unscented regular stuff before committing to the crazy expensive baby stuff.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We also use All Free & Clear. You can usually get a large dispensing container from Costco for around $10 (ours we purchased for around $7 with a coupon). Really the only time you might need to invest in an expensive specific detergent is when you're cloth diapering and even then you can probably save money and make your own if you're so inclined.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 17, 2012

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We have always used All Free and Clear. I am extremely sensitive to fragrances and no way was I gong to be able to use some smelly baby detergent and not sneeze and have hives constantly. We use it for our cloth diapers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Chickalicious posted:

We have always used All Free and Clear. I am extremely sensitive to fragrances and no way was I gong to be able to use some smelly baby detergent and not sneeze and have hives constantly. We use it for our cloth diapers too.

I've heard that All Free & Clear works for cloth diapers but was afraid to try! I know how sensitive your skin is (and in turn how sensitive your son's skin has the potential to be) so this makes me feel more confident about trying it out. :D