Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Schweig und tanze posted:

I don't think pumping/bottle feeding at that point is recommended by lactation consultants

I would try cup/spoon feeding before doing a bottle with a baby that young. I did it with my son for many feedings until he was a week and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Schweig und tanze posted:

Yeah, the first week home was really rough for us at night, even with my mom here to help. What I did to deal with baby screaming at my boob was to pump a little and feed him that before offering the boob, it took the edge off of his hunger and made him calmer so he was able to latch. I don't think pumping/bottle feeding at that point is recommended by lactation consultants but we were desperate and Simon hasn't had any issues with nipple confusion or anything. He's just as willing to nurse as to take a bottle, if not more so. And being able to give him a bottle of pumped milk here and there has saved my sanity and helped me persevere when I really, really was tempted to give up on nursing.

Since newborns have such tiny stomachs, you can use a medicine dropper instead of a bottle. I'd try to avoid a bottle until breastfeeding is well established. The concern isn't nipple confusion but a flow preference since it's a lot easier to get the breast milk from the bottle than the boob.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

rectal cushion posted:

I would try cup/spoon feeding before doing a bottle with a baby that young. I did it with my son for many feedings until he was a week and a half.

Yeah, like I said, it's not recommended but I was too hysterical and worn out to think through it clearly at the time. He was nearly a week old when we did it, he's three weeks now and nurses without a problem. He hasn't had any pumped milk in over a week at this point. It was more of an "oh god what do I do" 3am solution than something I really thought about. We're lucky in that there are no nursing troubles at this point, but my main point was that if you can get a bit of milk in baby before trying to nurse it may be helpful for keeping her calm enough to latch.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Acrolos posted:

So we have been home with our newborn for just two days now. Day one at home went well, with Abby eating every two hours or so and sleeping in between.

Tonight however, she began crying around 9:30pm and is still going at 4:15am. My wife has attempted to breastfeed her almost non-stop throughout the night, but has struggled to get her to nurse, as she keeps flailing around and refusing to latch for the most part. She will eat occasionally, but for the most part, she just plays with the nipple or refuses to drink for more than a minute or two. Regardless, within five minutes of stopping, she is typically crying again.

My wife is miserable and obviously frustrated. We are aware of the idea of cluster feeding, but this seems to be missing a lot of the "feeding" aspect, even though she's had no trouble latching prior to tonight.

Anyone with experience have any idea on what we could do to try to help get Abby nursing at this point, or is this just one of those times that we're destined to be up all night with a screaming newborn?

I need to be honest with you, I gave up on the idea of full breastfeeding. I strictly pump, and it is precisely because of this reason. Once my milk came in, Rocky flipped the gently caress out at the texture of my breasts and nipples and started "biting" and crying at my chest. Even before that, he'd just flail and poo poo before finally settling in to latch, and he would feed at the longest, almost two hours with only a few minute breaks. It got to be too much for me, given I was already hormonal and have a history of depression. My kid is less than a week old, and I was honestly having nervous breakdowns and beginning to resent my husband because he could not work as hard as I was. So when my milk came in and Rocky decided he hated the boob I felt relief. Now he drinks solely from the bottle, and I have no regrets because he's still getting a part of me and the health benefits of the milk. The only thing I can tell you is that if you really want to breast feed, keep talking to a lactation consultant. If you find it is too exhausting, just reaffirm to your wife that she is still a wonderful mother no matter what she chooses, and to just make sure she holds Abby to her breasts and keeps eye contact during feedings to maintain that intimacy. I know a lot of people judge other Moms for not being "natural", but I'm not here to judge her. I know she'll do what's best.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 21, 2017

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Lullabee posted:

I did get verbal lashings from. Every. Single. Nurse. That came into our room except one, but I just kept telling them 'its my child, we were going to give him one anyways, and it keeps me sane, since his father can give it to him and hold him while I take a break.'

Oh Christ, I thought I was the only one. I sent Rocky to the nursery so I could take a nap, and you would not believe the looks I got from the nurses. One of them said, "Wow! You were really tired, weren't you? I guess you needed that nap!" No poo poo, Sherlock, I just birthed a kid and I'm feeding every two hours and you guys keep coming in to test him or me! When did you think I'd sleep? I mentioned my interest in pumping and I got looked at like 'how could anyone not manage breastfeeding?' I was kind of shocked that they didn't realize how hard the first few weeks are for a mother, but then again, most of my nurses were older, so maybe they view things like this as a luxury. I think you did the right thing Lullabee, sometimes you have to do what you need to do to make it out sane.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Hastings posted:

I need to be honest with you, I gave up on the idea of full breastfeeding. I strictly pump, and it is precisely because of this reason. Once my milk came in, Rocky flipped the gently caress out at the texture of my breasts and nipples and started "biting" and crying at my chest. Even before that, he'd just flail and poo poo before finally settling in to latch, and he would feed at the longest, almost two hours with only a few minute breaks. It got to be too much for me, given I was already hormonal and have a history of depression. My kid is less than a week old, and I was honestly having nervous breakdowns and beginning to resent my husband because he could not work as hard as I was. So when my milk came in and Rocky decided he hated the boob I felt relief. Now he drinks solely from the bottle, and I have no regrets because he's still getting a part of me and the health benefits of the milk. The only thing I can tell you is that if you really want to breast feed, keep talking to a lactation consultant. If you find it is too exhausting, just reaffirm to your wife that she is still a wonderful mother no matter what she chooses, and to just make sure she holds Abby to her breasts and keeps eye contact during feedings to maintain that intimacy. I know a lot of people judge other Moms for not being "natural", but I'm not here to judge her. I know she'll do what's best.

Thanks for posting this. Before I read your comments, my wife made a similar decision after about Abby screamed for hours (for the second night in a row) and refused to eat. In addition to Abby not liking the breast texture, my wife is having difficulty producing enough milk for her. Even through pumping two breasts, she's unable to get enough to satisfy her.

After a long talk, we decided to supplement her breast milk with some formula, so that Abby could eat. Sarah had a lot of feelings of guilt after doing this, but I've tried to be as supportive as possible and I believe that she is feeling a bit of relief at being able to ensure that Abby is eating. As she is a small baby (6'7 at birth, but down to 5'11 yesterday), it's important that we feed her when she is hungry, and this makes things possible for our situation.

Last night, after giving the bottle with supplementing, Abby slept nearly the entire night (waking up twice to eat, but going back to sleep afterwards). We both were able to actually get some sleep last night, and my wife is a completely different person today, as she isn't battling the feeling of inadequacy that she was feeling previously.

On a completely different subject, this morning I woke up to horrendous news. One of my best friends and his wife were due two weeks before us, but because we were a little early and they were a little late, they ended up having their baby the day after us. In the middle of the night, while holding their little boy, they noticed that he had stopped breathing. It was too late to do anything, and he passed away at three days old. He had been cleared at the hospital and had just come home about eight hours prior. At this time, no one knows what caused the death, although SIDS is obviously a thought.

My wife and I want to be as supportive as possible, but we also know that having a baby that's nearly identical in age is going to be extremely tough on them. Obviously we'll do our best to not flaunt photos, etc. but in terms of how to handle the situation itself, we're at a loss. I've tried to avoid posting pictures of our baby on Facebook or comment too much about her to my friends that I've spoken to today, but I know that I can't just pretend that she doesn't exist going forward because of what my friends are going through. At the same time, I want to make sure that I am as sensitive as I can possible be to their situation. I know it's a situation that isn't exactly common, but if anyone has experienced something like this or has any advice on the best

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Acrolos posted:

Thanks for posting this. Before I read your comments, my wife made a similar decision after about Abby screamed for hours (for the second night in a row) and refused to eat. In addition to Abby not liking the breast texture, my wife is having difficulty producing enough milk for her. Even through pumping two breasts, she's unable to get enough to satisfy her.

A pump is not as effective as a baby, so keep in mind that pumping output is not a good indicator of how big her supply actually is. Some women can hardly pump at all, some can pump a lot.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Has anyone been induced early? Anything I should know/do/read ahead of time? I'm 36 weeks today but my BP won't stay down so they are inducing at 37 weeks.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Double post

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

lady flash posted:

Has anyone been induced early? Anything I should know/do/read ahead of time? I'm 36 weeks today but my BP won't stay down so they are inducing at 37 weeks.

My wife was induced at 38 weeks, but it was as a result of her water breaking (or actually, rupturing). We went in blind, because we didn't really think that there would be any chance for having an early induction, but the process was fairly straight-forward.

Within an hour of inducing labor, her contractions were 4-5 minutes apart, and they dropped to three minutes within about two hours. It stayed that way throughout the 20 hours between inducing and delivery.

I'm not sure how true this information is, but when my wife decided to get the epidural (after initially refusing), the anesthesiologist told us that a vast majority of people who induce labor need to get an epidural, because of how quickly things move along. Had we known that, she probably would have decided on the epidural a bit earlier.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Acrolos posted:

My wife and I want to be as supportive as possible, but we also know that having a baby that's nearly identical in age is going to be extremely tough on them. Obviously we'll do our best to not flaunt photos, etc. but in terms of how to handle the situation itself, we're at a loss. I've tried to avoid posting pictures of our baby on Facebook or comment too much about her to my friends that I've spoken to today, but I know that I can't just pretend that she doesn't exist going forward because of what my friends are going through. At the same time, I want to make sure that I am as sensitive as I can possible be to their situation. I know it's a situation that isn't exactly common, but if anyone has experienced something like this or has any advice on the best

You could make a custom privacy setting on Facebook for everyone but your friend and use that for baby posts for a while.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Acrolos posted:

Milk stuff

It is a hard decision but personally I feel there is a point where the physical benefits of breastfeeding are outweighed by the emotional stress of trying and failing, especially at a time when you are both going to be under a lot of pressure and sleep deprived. Hopefully your wife will be able to get support from lactation consultants and the midwives to do what she thinks is best and by supporting her you are pretty much doing all you can.

Acrolos posted:

Heartbreaking friends baby news

I have no experience of anything like this, but all you can do is be sensitive and follow their lead (if they want space from the friendship etc).

lady flash posted:

I was induced at 37 weeks for waters breaking but labour not starting. I would find out how they will be monitoring the baby as when I was induced with the drip I was still able to walk about and change position which helped a lot, but then last time I was induced with the gel and they made me wear the fetal heart rate machine that basically means you have to lie on your back for the whole time and it was agony.

I didn't get an epidural either time and I don't think it was particularly worse than just going into labour on your own but everyone is different. A lot of places do have an automatic epidural when getting induced unless otherwise requested policy though so I think I'm probably just very lucky.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

lady flash posted:

I was induced at 34 weeks.(extremely complicated pregnancy, fetus was in danger). It took forever because my body just wasn't ready to go into labor. So in case you're like me: reading material. A charged ipod (mine wasn't locked, got turned on in my bag, and by the time I wanted it was totally dead WAAAAH). My inducement was 57 hours from start to baby. Approximately 52 of those hours were nothing but waiting, boredom, and people interrupting my sleep by poking and prodding me; things only got exciting right at the end. I was induced with cervidil - 3 rounds, then a foley. Eventually we went to pitocin, my waters were broken and things went down fast from that point on. I had an epidural; I can't speak to whether it sucked without one cause I was all over that poo poo early and often.

If you are going to want an epidural, make sure they run their blood tests first thing so you are cleared for one. The year before my son was born, I had a stillbirth that was induced (heartrate stopped at 28 weeks)) - I didn't get an epidural because the assumption was that the induction would take 12 hours or so, so they didn't do the blood work immediately because we had tons of time! But my body was already aware of what was going on and was preparing for labor. It only took 2 hours total. No bloodwork meant no epidural.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 21, 2017

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

Acrolos posted:

I've tried to avoid posting pictures of our baby on Facebook or comment too much about her to my friends that I've spoken to today, but I know that I can't just pretend that she doesn't exist going forward because of what my friends are going through.

I second the Facebook-specific group idea. That's horrific. I can't imagine going through that. Maybe also send them a card (less in-your-face) and ask if they need anything.

On a somewhat different note, how on earth do you pick out a name for your baby? My husband and I have looked through the one book we have, and he's looked through another one I got (I haven't been home to do so), and we are completely at a loss for names. We have a long Italian last name, so I think it will need to match at least a little. Were there any books that were helpful to you? How did you do research? How did you ultimately decide or did you just know?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Acrolos posted:

After a long talk, we decided to supplement her breast milk with some formula, so that Abby could eat. Sarah had a lot of feelings of guilt after doing this, but I've tried to be as supportive as possible and I believe that she is feeling a bit of relief at being able to ensure that Abby is eating. As she is a small baby (6'7 at birth, but down to 5'11 yesterday), it's important that we feed her when she is hungry, and this makes things possible for our situation.

Last night, after giving the bottle with supplementing, Abby slept nearly the entire night (waking up twice to eat, but going back to sleep afterwards). We both were able to actually get some sleep last night, and my wife is a completely different person today, as she isn't battling the feeling of inadequacy that she was feeling previously.

If you guys want to continue breastfeeding, please know that it's completely normal for babies to start to refuse the breast during that first week of life. It makes no sense & it isn't something the lactation consultants warned me about, so I thought I was doing something wrong.

Just a couple of resources to get your baby back to breast:
http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/breast-refusal-on-day-3-4-or-5/

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/#feedbaby

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

lady flash posted:

My water broke, and I apparently had contractions but I felt neither of these things and I wasn't progressing fast enough. I had to be induced. The only thing I can tell you is that everyone is different, but bring something to do or read just in case your labor still goes on for awhile. Also, consider the epidural because pain killers are awesome!

GoreJess posted:

If you guys want to continue breastfeeding, please know that it's completely normal for babies to start to refuse the breast during that first week of life. It makes no sense & it isn't something the lactation consultants warned me about, so I thought I was doing something wrong.

Just a couple of resources to get your baby back to breast:
http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/breast-refusal-on-day-3-4-or-5/

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/#feedbaby

Thank you for posting this, because we just found this out last night. Rocky decided for whatever reason that he really needed Mommy's breast, and I ended up feeding him for about 10 minutes. Guess he just wanted the bonding. We're still doing primarily pump/bottle, but about once during the day he wants the breast again. Our lactation consultant actually told us the opposite: that if a baby rejects, it means you're not helping them latch enough (you need to move their head gently and force them) or it means they are done and have given up. I'll be honest though, I wasn't a fan of my lactation consultant.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hastings posted:

Thank you for posting this, because we just found this out last night. Rocky decided for whatever reason that he really needed Mommy's breast, and I ended up feeding him for about 10 minutes. Guess he just wanted the bonding. We're still doing primarily pump/bottle, but about once during the day he wants the breast again. Our lactation consultant actually told us the opposite: that if a baby rejects, it means you're not helping them latch enough (you need to move their head gently and force them) or it means they are done and have given up. I'll be honest though, I wasn't a fan of my lactation consultant.

You need a new lactation consultant. That's absolutely ridiculous on both counts, actually. As someone who exclusively pumped for a year due to anatomical issues keeping my son from transferring breast milk, do everything you can to get the baby back to the breast. It's incredibly difficult to maintain an adequate milk supply with a pump and pumping gets to be more and more difficult as your infant becomes more and more interactive and mobile.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Hastings posted:

WTF this is horrible advice, it is basically the opposite of what the many LCs we saw told us (and what we experienced ourselves). You can get them into basic position and help a little by guiding the nipple into the roof of their mouth, but trying to force the head resulted in nothing but shrieking.

Make sure to try lots of different positions, your baby might be particular. We had a major breakthrough with the lie back position, even though it was tough because of the pressure it put on mom's abdomen. Also be aware of your baby's head/neck positioning, you want their face to be square to your boob because if they have to crane their neck to get the nipple it will just make it hard on them.
http://www.momzelle.com/blog/tag/breastfeeding-lying-on-your-back/

We also had a eureka moment with one LC when we realized that some of the milk-stimulating stuff we were doing was causing our baby to lose latch. Baby needs a nice big area to latch onto to maintain suction, if you're stroking or compressing the boob too much you might be making it harder to latch without realizing it.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Bubble Babble posted:

On a somewhat different note, how on earth do you pick out a name for your baby? My husband and I have looked through the one book we have, and he's looked through another one I got (I haven't been home to do so), and we are completely at a loss for names. We have a long Italian last name, so I think it will need to match at least a little. Were there any books that were helpful to you? How did you do research? How did you ultimately decide or did you just know?

My husband and I both love the idea of family names and naming children after people who are important to you, and when we found out that we were expecting a girl, it was a no-brainer - we're naming her after our mothers, with a little tweaking to make it all her own name. His mother suspects as much, since there's at least one girl with her name in every generation in their family as far back as anyone knows, but my mother has no clue, and I'm so looking forward to her reaction when the baby is born :3: I'm named after my grandmother, and I've always treasured having that special bond with an amazing woman that I love very much.

So my advice would be to figure out what you're both looking for in a name (in addition to the family thing we travel a lot and have family in several countries, so it was important for us to find a name that would work both here and abroad, so that ruled out anything with æ, ø and å, and all the weird-rear end Hungarian diphtongs) and what kind of names you like/dislike - traditional, quirky, etc, and once you've got the basic parameters figured out, you can start looking for names that fit them.

As for how we knew, we just fiddled around with variations of the names until we hit a combination that just felt right to us :)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Bubble Babble posted:

On a somewhat different note, how on earth do you pick out a name for your baby?

My husband and I created THE LIST. We would each add names to the list that we had heard, read, or liked somewhere without discussion. Every couple of days we'd go through the list together and delete names that we decided we didn't like, or that one of us had an objection to (I knew a girl named that in school...) So, we'd keep adding and deleting until we got it down to about 12 names. Then we each took the list and re-wrote it in order of our preferences. Any names that matched bottom positions in our lists were removed, and I think we had one name that I LOVED but he had as #10. There was a bit of intense negotiation on that, and eventually we went with the name that was #3 for me and #1 for him (Emily Rose). I had Emma as #2, so there was a bit of give and take on that one. It worked for us, because it gave us each a chance to submit names for 'approval' without the other person there to go "Really, that name?". And by the time we'd go through the list in the beginning, we'd possibly forgotten which one of us had listed a name (at one point it was 75+ names long) so we couldn't get pissy about "stupid" names on the list.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We came up with Jasper because my name is Amber and they're both semi precious stones and my husband's name starts with a J so it seemed like a good fit in with both of our names.

Edit: one of my husbands pet names for me is Am-bear so we also call him Jas-bear :3:

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Bubble Babble posted:

I second the Facebook-specific group idea. That's horrific. I can't imagine going through that. Maybe also send them a card (less in-your-face) and ask if they need anything.

Yes, I think we will probably work on something with the Facebook. We share a ton of friends (probably 30-40 different people), so it will be hard to create something that shares our experience while being respectful of them, but we'll figure something out.

I spoke with the father today and he's obviously taking it rough, but hopefully my friends and I can just be there for them the best that we can to support them. I'm going to go to the funeral/visitation on Thursday, but my wife and I talked about it and I don't believe she is going to go. As much as she'd like to go to support them, it's also a situation where it may be too hard for her to take.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Alterian posted:

Edit: one of my husbands pet names for me is Am-bear so we also call him Jas-bear :3:

That's adorable :3

Our culture's tradition is to name children after their grandparents, with the father's middle name. Luckily both of us are pretty traditional, so we have 2 girl names and 2 boy names down pat. Our only question was whether to use the Greek or English versions of his names on the legal forms (we're calling him by a nickname), and we did one of each: Constantine Ioannis.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
After 3yrs with our son, we decided it was time to add a baby brother or sister to the family. Getting pregnant the first time (with our son) for my wife was a year and a half long process with different treatments and tests related to fertility and we eventually decided to give it a break for a bit, and low and behold, she got pregnant the next month. Go figure right? After spending all that money on tests and treatments, all it took was relaxing. No biggie, pregnancy was good, no real complications other than his over all size, 9lbs 4oz at birth, which was huge for my wife who is barely 5'6 and 110lbs. They said it was hard to gauge his size because he was head down most of the pregnancy and if they would have known he was that big, it would have been a c-section. But anyways, 3yrs later all is well.

We figured her getting pregnant again would be another long process, so she stopped taking her birth control in December of 2012 and around Jan 30th she decided to take a pregnancy test and it was positive, woooo! Line 'em up, I'll knock 'em up! The following week or so we go to her normal OB/GYN for confirmation on our previous 3 tests at home. This would have been about the 6wk mark I guess. We find out there is in fact a baby in there, no heartbeat yet, but apparently that is pretty common at 6wks. (I should note that I tend to expect the worst outcome for everything, so I try not to read much online about issues / complications with pregnancy because I'd worry myself sick and stress about every little thing, so I apologize if my markers are wrong about weeks/term.)

My wife goes back around Feb 11th for a follow-up to check for heartbeat and turns out there now is one and it strong. Good deal. Everything is looking good, baby is developing in size, all the right signs.

Cue yesterday...my wife notices some bleeding / spotting, but nothing major but calls the nurse at her OB/GYN who tells her if it gets worse, go to the ER, otherwise wait until her appointment, which was today. We show up today for the appointment and they notice the baby hasn't grown in size from about the 8wk mark and has no heartbeat anymore. We are devastated, they do some more checks with a better ultrasound, which confirms the worst, a miscarriage.

So what gives here? My wife is pretty healthy overall, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink heavily (and certainly none while pregnant), zero caffeine throughout pregnancy and leading up to it, and this still happens after essentially zero issues with our first.

Poking around on the internet says this is common in the first trimester, but no real reason as to why and 50% of the time, you'll never know why other than chromosome issue. Her D&C is on Friday morning unless it happens naturally before that, and we still haven't decided to have any tests done because it really doesn't tell us if we did anything wrong.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

:( I'm so sorry for your loss, routenell0. :( You probably know already that it's nothing you guys did or didn't do--it's a painful truth that miscarriages happen more frequently than we know. It's hard to accept that you can't prevent something so horrible.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Papercut posted:

WTF this is horrible advice, it is basically the opposite of what the many LCs we saw told us (and what we experienced ourselves). You can get them into basic position and help a little by guiding the nipple into the roof of their mouth, but trying to force the head resulted in nothing but shrieking.

Make sure to try lots of different positions, your baby might be particular. We had a major breakthrough with the lie back position, even though it was tough because of the pressure it put on mom's abdomen. Also be aware of your baby's head/neck positioning, you want their face to be square to your boob because if they have to crane their neck to get the nipple it will just make it hard on them.
http://www.momzelle.com/blog/tag/breastfeeding-lying-on-your-back/

We also had a eureka moment with one LC when we realized that some of the milk-stimulating stuff we were doing was causing our baby to lose latch. Baby needs a nice big area to latch onto to maintain suction, if you're stroking or compressing the boob too much you might be making it harder to latch without realizing it.

Yeah, I realized when I got home that our hospitals LCs were out of their minds, because they freaked out during their mandatory visit to my room and saw I was trying different positions. They would not leave until I mastered the football, cradle and sideline positions and said those were the breastfeeding positions. But, my nipples are weirdly shaped, so I was trying out different ways to prop him. Everything they told me was the exact opposite of what actually worked with him.

skeetied posted:

You need a new lactation consultant. That's absolutely ridiculous on both counts, actually. As someone who exclusively pumped for a year due to anatomical issues keeping my son from transferring breast milk, do everything you can to get the baby back to the breast. It's incredibly difficult to maintain an adequate milk supply with a pump and pumping gets to be more and more difficult as your infant becomes more and more interactive and mobile.

What about those Medela pumps? I can see it being hard with my janky as hell Evenflo one, but I heard the Medela ones are great for the gal who solely pumps? We're moving Rocky to the pack n' play in our room tonight to make feeding/sleeping easier, so I'll probably breastfeed at night, but I start class again next week (2.5 hours twice a week), so I know I'll need to have some means of feeding him that Dad can give him.

Alterian posted:

I'm starting to think the lactation consultants at my hospital were bad too. They pretty much told me to jam my boob in his mouth as far as I can even if his face was squished. I just had to jam him in there. When I said I was worried he'd suffocate she just sort of laughed at me and said "have you ever heard of a baby dying suffocating breastfeeding? No? Ok. Just do it like that."

Did our LCs go to the same program? Because I got told to help him open wide and stick it back in there as far as possible.

Hastings fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 13, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm starting to think the lactation consultants at my hospital were bad too. They pretty much told me to jam my boob in his mouth as far as I can even if his face was squished. I just had to jam him in there. When I said I was worried he'd suffocate she just sort of laughed at me and said "have you ever heard of a baby dying suffocating breastfeeding? No? Ok. Just do it like that."

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hastings posted:

What about those Medela pumps? I can see it being hard with my janky as hell Evenflo one, but I heard the Medela ones are great for the gal who solely pumps? We're moving Rocky to the pack n' play in our room tonight to make feeding/sleeping easier, so I'll probably breastfeed at night, but I start class again next week (2.5 hours twice a week), so I know I'll need to have some means of feeding him that Dad can give him.

Your best chance in terms of pumps for maintaining a solid milk supply is renting a hospital grade pump such as a Medela Symphony. The other Medela pumps are more designed for occasional use (I had both a Medela Pump in Style Advanced and a Medela Freestyle for "on the go" use). You also should be pumping for at least 15 minutes per breast eight to 12 times per day for the first three months with no more than a four hour stretch at any time.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Ben Davis posted:

:( I'm so sorry for your loss, routenell0. :( You probably know already that it's nothing you guys did or didn't do--it's a painful truth that miscarriages happen more frequently than we know. It's hard to accept that you can't prevent something so horrible.

I guess that is the biggest thing I struggle with. As an engineer, I deal in absolutes. I know exactly why something happened and how it happened, so to be told by someone with years of experience and more education than me; "we aren't sure", is rather puzzling. Like really, we've put people in space, robots on mars, but you (or science) can't tell me why this happened in 2013? Just over all very frustrating.

It's such BS that there isn't a solid reason; "oh we did X wrong" so that we can make sure X doesn't happen the next time. This roll of the dice is crap.

But, enough with the self pity, I've come to the realization that this happens, there isn't anything we could have done better or different and that it "just happens". In my mind it is better for this to happen at 10wks than later on down the road. This might not be the best outlook on the situation, but it certainly isn't the worse.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

routenull0 posted:

As an engineer, I deal in absolutes. I know exactly why something happened and how it happened, so to be told by someone with years of experience and more education than me; "we aren't sure", is rather puzzling. Like really, we've put people in space, robots on mars, but you (or science) can't tell me why this happened in 2013? Just over all very frustrating.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Something that might help with the "why does this happen?!"-frustration for you as an engineer, is to think of it in more clinical terms - this was a faulty batch that got purged by the system as soon as it identified that this would never be a viable product, to make way for a new version. Because unless there's an underlying medical issue with the mother, that's almost always what happens with early miscarriages - something has gone wrong (the doctors could probably tell you exactly what if they were to perform extensive testing of the fetus, but there would be no point - the same hiccup is almost guaranteed not to happen again, so it wouldn't help one way or another) and the fetus is aborted because there would be no point in wasting resources and energy on it. Our genes aren't very sentimental about these things, I'm afraid.

Ben Davis, Ioannis is absolutely gorgeous! Our middle name for a boy was/is János :3: I love those kinds of names.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Acrolos posted:

They might get upset if they ever found out that you did treat them differently and cut them out of an aspect of your life. We didn't have to deal with this sort of situation, but my husband and I are both private people and people posting millions of pics on facebook of their babies annoys us. What we did so we wouldn't turn into one of those people was to get a flickr account and set all the privacy settings to friends and family only and gave out guest passes to people that would be interested in seeing baby pictures. That way its not all up in everyone's face (when it took us 3 years of trying, seeing other people's new baby photos was really rough) and I don't have to feel weird about putting up bubble bath photos and weirdos seeing it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

routenull0 posted:

Poking around on the internet says this is common in the first trimester, but no real reason as to why and 50% of the time, you'll never know why other than chromosome issue. Her D&C is on Friday morning unless it happens naturally before that, and we still haven't decided to have any tests done because it really doesn't tell us if we did anything wrong.

It's really, really common. Most of the time people don't talk about it, but I bet you know several women who have had miscarriages. Don't be afraid to grieve and focus on the fact that it is not anyone's fault. Your wife is probably going to feel guilty and horrible and like it is her fault, and it's not an easy time for you either. Don't feel like you have to rush to keep trying, either.

I have friends who were trying to get pregnant for almost a year, then miscarried at 9 weeks (or rather, it didn't grow after 6). It was really rough for them. They did finally become parents last November (a year & 3 monthsish later...). One miscarriage doesn't mean you're doomed, either.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
27 weeks today, went for my 1 hour glucose challenge test then to my first appointment with the midwife (I'd been seeing the OB's but since everything is textbook thus far I switched over). I got measured for the first time and measured spot on and his heartbeat sounds great. I might have a UTI or possible kidney infection though, ugh. I've been peeing a lot but I figured hey I'm pregnant, also drinking a lot of water... but then the day before yesterday I realized my back had been bothering me and it didn't feel muscular. (I had figured I slept funny or it was just normal pregnancy stuff.) So I gave a sample, they wont have the results back for a day or two so they called in a script for amoxicilin and I'm to take it and call for results or they'll call me if I need to switch antibiotics.

I've had a bunch of UTI's, I actually had one when I was very very newly pregnant, before I could test positive. I don't have the urgency and burning sensation, but I do have the feeling that my bladder won't empty, like as soon as I pee I feel like I still have to. So here's hoping it's just a minor UTI that the amox can knock out.

Smuffin24
Dec 30, 2008
Intro time!

I'm 7w4d with my 3rd pregnancy. First pregnancy ended in early miscarriage and second pregnancy resulted in my now 3 1/2 year old son.

Now for the whining: I'm miserable! Morning sickness, dry heaving, gagging, I've lost approx 10 lbs, exhaustion and awful sciatic nerve pain. I had the same issues with my last pregnancy so I can't say I'm surprised.

I'm actually a little concerned I'm having twins because of how bloated my belly has become already. I didn't even show with my son until I was 5 months. I've got my first OB appt next week so hopefully they'll do an ultrasound and I'll know how many I'm growing in there. If it's two...I may have a slight stroke.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Smuffin24 posted:

I'm actually a little concerned I'm having twins because of how bloated my belly has become already. I didn't even show with my son until I was 5 months. I've got my first OB appt next week so hopefully they'll do an ultrasound and I'll know how many I'm growing in there. If it's two...I may have a slight stroke.

It's very normal to get huge really fast after getting pregnant with second and third pregnancies.

Smuffin24
Dec 30, 2008

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

It's very normal to get huge really fast after getting pregnant with second and third pregnancies.

I figured that was part of it...I guess I just had unrealistic expectations of staying in my "normal" body for a bit longer.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Olivia is going to be 4 weeks tomorrow (the 14th) and we are having some issues with her sleeping, so I come here for some advice and anecdotes. We try to get her into bed by 8 and we kind of "wind down" the day for her. The past week had shown some good progress. We'd get her sleepy at about 8, and she'd sleep for 2-4 hours at a time and all would be well. However, this past week she's been MEGA fussy. I'm up at 11PM and she still won't sleep!

During the day we try to keep her from sleeping more than 2 hours at a time, not always with a lot of success, but we actively try to. We know babies can become over tired and then its pretty much hell at night getting them back to sleep. So we started doing our routine by keeping waking her to feed, then letting her doze off so long as she's been up an hour. She'll get tired around 8 and completely ZONK out after a "final feed" before bed. Then inevitably it seems like clockwork, she'll wake up at around 10 and Will. Not. Go. Back. To Sleep. The only panacea we have is giving her the boob, but even then she won't eat, she'll just suckle and fuss about the nipple without actually eating anything. We don't want to do this because it makes her dependent upon the boob to calm down, and it also really hurts my wife to constantly have Olivia suckling for hours and hours on end. Not to mention the hours we're both up as she is suckling.

What kinds of techniques..(Ah I just heard her stop crying, maybe she's out again)..what kind of techniques do you fellow goons use to help a 4 week old get to sleep on schedule? What do you do when baby won't be consoled other than getting the boob? How much should we let her sleep during the day to ensure she isn't overtired, but is tired enough to start sleeping longer at night? A lot of the time she'll be falling asleep and she'll wake herself up, starting the whole cycle over again.

As an aside, she's just 4 weeks so her eyes aren't developed, but she does tend to look at lightsources.We have a small nightlight near the changing area in the bedroom. I'll pick her up, she'll fuss. Wife will, she'll fuss. I lay her on the bed, in the crib, on a blanket, she'll fuss....but if I lay her on the cold, flat, hard, changing pad on the changing table, she'll chill out, look at the ambient light (Ah there is more fussing, she's up) and relax. Is this weird? Like, go to the super hard unforgiving surface and chill, be held and cuddled, freak out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Jastiger posted:

Olivia is going to be 4 weeks tomorrow (the 14th) and we are having some issues with her sleeping, so I come here for some advice and anecdotes. We try to get her into bed by 8 and we kind of "wind down" the day for her. The past week had shown some good progress. We'd get her sleepy at about 8, and she'd sleep for 2-4 hours at a time and all would be well. However, this past week she's been MEGA fussy. I'm up at 11PM and she still won't sleep!

During the day we try to keep her from sleeping more than 2 hours at a time, not always with a lot of success, but we actively try to. We know babies can become over tired and then its pretty much hell at night getting them back to sleep. So we started doing our routine by keeping waking her to feed, then letting her doze off so long as she's been up an hour. She'll get tired around 8 and completely ZONK out after a "final feed" before bed. Then inevitably it seems like clockwork, she'll wake up at around 10 and Will. Not. Go. Back. To Sleep. The only panacea we have is giving her the boob, but even then she won't eat, she'll just suckle and fuss about the nipple without actually eating anything. We don't want to do this because it makes her dependent upon the boob to calm down, and it also really hurts my wife to constantly have Olivia suckling for hours and hours on end. Not to mention the hours we're both up as she is suckling.

What kinds of techniques..(Ah I just heard her stop crying, maybe she's out again)..what kind of techniques do you fellow goons use to help a 4 week old get to sleep on schedule? What do you do when baby won't be consoled other than getting the boob? How much should we let her sleep during the day to ensure she isn't overtired, but is tired enough to start sleeping longer at night? A lot of the time she'll be falling asleep and she'll wake herself up, starting the whole cycle over again.

As an aside, she's just 4 weeks so her eyes aren't developed, but she does tend to look at lightsources.We have a small nightlight near the changing area in the bedroom. I'll pick her up, she'll fuss. Wife will, she'll fuss. I lay her on the bed, in the crib, on a blanket, she'll fuss....but if I lay her on the cold, flat, hard, changing pad on the changing table, she'll chill out, look at the ambient light (Ah there is more fussing, she's up) and relax. Is this weird? Like, go to the super hard unforgiving surface and chill, be held and cuddled, freak out?

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a 4 week old to hold to any particular routine or schedule, that's still very young.