Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
Thank you everyone for reaffirming the cloth option. Yes, we do have a washer, dryer and utility sink. Sounds like I can deal with cloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
This depends on the baby, but be prepared to buy bigger clothes for cloth diapers. My 6 month old is chunky anyway (19 pounds), but she needs to wear 9 month clothes because of the diapers.

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013
Can anyone share their experience with clogged milk ducts? I nursed my 4 week old on the right side for about 15 minutes this afternoon. About 90-120 minutes later I noticed some soreness on the same side, along with some significant lumpiness in the tissue. There's no redness or excess heat and I don't feel sick in any way but it's now quite sore. It came up pretty much out of nowhere. Does that sound consistent with clogged ducts? I took a hot shower and am now using a heat pack to see if that makes a difference.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I found a few things extremely helpful.

1. I massaged the lump a LOT, especially in the shower. That seemed to help open it up for baby to clean it out during nursing. I started at the lump and tried to push it towards the nipple.

2. When latching, point your baby's chin toward the pain. I had pain on the outer side of my breast, I found that a football hold pointed her chin right at the affected area. When she latched in that position, I felt, pretty intensely, that the suction was pulling directly on the lump.

3. When nursing, start your baby on the breast that hurts. Your baby sucks the hardest on first latch.

When my plugged duct did open up, there was some puss and some blood, but it didn't last long. My doctor insisted it wouldn't hurt the baby to nurse, and nursing is the best way to clean it out. It took a couple days for the soreness to subside, but the pain was nowhere near as focused as while the duct was plugged.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
How long, (if ever) does it take for your ribcage to close back in after delivery? Mine is shifting back to it's rightful position at the top pretty well, but the bottom half is still kinda splayed out and weird at 5 weeks postpartum and it's oddly sore and looks drat strange - I'm not going to be stuck like this am I? :ohdear:

Also, does anyone have any tips I might not have come across for making life easier for a baby with reflux and projectile vomiting? He's on Zantac and Gaviscon and is held upright for a minimum of half an hour after feeds, in practice he's held a lot more since he's miserable (and explosive - he vomited straight upwards and into his Dads mouth the other day :stonklol:) when on his back and we try not to jostle him too much when playing or changing. We keep getting told he'll grow out of it, but some people say 6 weeks, others 6 months.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
He's been checked for pyloric stenosis?

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
Yep, everything checks out fine on that front. His weight gain is all over the show because of the crazy vomiting, ranging from around 100g/day to 19g/day but the pediatritian says she's not really concerned since he's not a small baby (4.7kg /10.3lbs at 4 weeks) and still getting growth and gaining, with plenty of wet and dirty nappies. I asked about going on an elimination diet and was told by 3 different health workers that it wouldn't help but I've been avoiding spicy and acidic stuff anyway with no improvement.

Ambystoma fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 29, 2014

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ambystoma posted:

How long, (if ever) does it take for your ribcage to close back in after delivery? Mine is shifting back to it's rightful position at the top pretty well, but the bottom half is still kinda splayed out and weird at 5 weeks postpartum and it's oddly sore and looks drat strange - I'm not going to be stuck like this am I? :ohdear:

My ribs went back, but not back to normal. I still had a bit of a 'flare' at the bottom edge, but my bra band size went back to normal and all my old clothes fit. I'm kinda big and barrel chested anyways, but if you're skinnier it may change your silhouette a little.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

35 weeks today. Is it early for my baby to have started dropping? In the last day or two I've really felt her head grinding against my bladder when I walk (which I've been spared thus far due to carrying super high and a long torso). I'm not sure if it's just because she's getting bigger or if my body is legit getting close or what.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I can't answer your question, but I know I'm very ready for my little girl to drop! I'm due in exactly one month, and she loves nothing more than to kick at my rib cage really hard for hours on end. I'm always out of breath and I'm barely sleeping at this point. I just keep reminding myself that all the kicking is a sign that she's growing stronger and healthier each day :).

Also, maternity leave starts in one week and oh god, I can hardly wait. I think we've finally chosen a name, her nursery is nearly done, we did a childbirth prep class over the weekend, and we have our final visit with our doula this week. I can't believe it's happening so soon!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

cailleask posted:

35 weeks today. Is it early for my baby to have started dropping? In the last day or two I've really felt her head grinding against my bladder when I walk (which I've been spared thus far due to carrying super high and a long torso). I'm not sure if it's just because she's getting bigger or if my body is legit getting close or what.

I dropped with my first between 35 and 36 weeks, characterized by a sudden urge to pee every five seconds.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I've been lurking this thread since my wife found out she was expecting our first child. Everything has been going great, now we're getting down to crunch time a bit and doing some shopping to get ready. I need to replace my car, it's a 95 celica coupe that's not going to be at all practical. What I'm more concerned about is my wife drives a Nissan Frontier pickup with only a jump seat in the back. We work opposite hours, so we'll have to alternate dropping off and picking up from child care, and there's no avoiding baby riding in the truck. The Nissan has an airbag cut-off switch and latch anchors, is this be reasonably safe solution? Replacing two vehicles would be a real challenge for us. I really need some outside opinions as I'm a first time father and everything seems like a hazardous death trap that will hurt my poor little girl. Is a pickup safe with the airbag off? it's my understanding that's the worst danger to a child in the front seat.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I would do all I can to avoid having a baby in the front seat (this doesn't cover buying a new car), but if that's what you have, you work with it. One of our daily drivers is a pickup with only a front seat, and we would use it if needed to transport our daughter. (airbags off, of course)

If you could tweak schedules, trade cars at work as one of you leaves to get the kid, whatever to avoid having a rear facing seat in the truck, that would probably be best. I don't have studies to back up my feelings, but it seems like that would be the most dangerous type of seat to have in the front (just because of the amount of space they cover).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

SuicidalSmurf posted:

I've been lurking this thread since my wife found out she was expecting our first child. Everything has been going great, now we're getting down to crunch time a bit and doing some shopping to get ready. I need to replace my car, it's a 95 celica coupe that's not going to be at all practical. What I'm more concerned about is my wife drives a Nissan Frontier pickup with only a jump seat in the back. We work opposite hours, so we'll have to alternate dropping off and picking up from child care, and there's no avoiding baby riding in the truck. The Nissan has an airbag cut-off switch and latch anchors, is this be reasonably safe solution? Replacing two vehicles would be a real challenge for us. I really need some outside opinions as I'm a first time father and everything seems like a hazardous death trap that will hurt my poor little girl. Is a pickup safe with the airbag off? it's my understanding that's the worst danger to a child in the front seat.

Is the lack of practicality the only reason you are thinking of replacing the Celica? An infant seat WILL fit in the back of a Celica, it's possibly inconvenient and you may bang your head a lot getting the baby in and out, but if those were the two vehicles we owned and all other things (like vehicle condition) were equal, I'd probably replace the truck rather than the Celica. I've read statistics on Carseat.org stating that installing a carseat in the front seat of the vehicle is approximately 30% less safe than the back seat (but I cannot find the specific study they are getting that statistic from). The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration straight up says "Vehicles other than pickups should be used to transport children whenever possible.", with the only caveat for a "safe" pickup being those with full backseats rather than extended cabs. If it's totally unfeasible, then yeah - it is legal to install an infant seat in the front of a pickup with the airbags disabled and you have to do what you have to do, but I would recommend playing the car switching game like Amykinz described as much as possible to limit the amount of time the baby rides in the pickup.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Posting just to say that our twins are now 21 weeks along and going strong. My wife is already huuuuge and the sonogram tech said they were only at 11 oz each. I can't even imagine when they're both like 5 pounds.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

kaishek posted:

Posting just to say that our twins are now 21 weeks along and going strong. My wife is already huuuuge and the sonogram tech said they were only at 11 oz each. I can't even imagine when they're both like 5 pounds.

Just tell your wife that, when other women complain about how big their babies were, she will be able to shut them up quick. :)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So wife's pregnant and I just went to pickup some prenatal vitamins. Just curious if the DHA stuff is actually worth buying or not?

The pharmacist said it's suppose to be good for your baby's brain/iq.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 10, 2014

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

lol internet. posted:

So wife's pregnant and I just went to pickup some prenatal vitamins. Just curious if the DHA stuff is actually worth buying or not?

Yes. Research is finding that it's pretty important, though they're not exactly sure why. From WebMD:

Researchers found that infants born to mothers with higher blood levels of the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) at delivery had advanced levels of attention spans well into their second year of life. During the first six months of life, these infants were two months ahead of those babies whose mothers had lower DHA levels.

Attention is considered an important, but not the only, component of intelligence early in life, lead researcher John Colombo, PhD, tells WebMD.

"This adds to the mounting evidence that DHA plays an important part in brain development," he says.

DHA is important for the developing brain, which accumulates large amounts of it during the first two years of life. Compared to the rest of the body, the brain and nervous system contains very high levels of DHA but its exact role in the brain is not fully known.

In any case, it certainly can't hurt.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

apathetic JAP posted:

Yes. Research is finding that it's pretty important, though they're not exactly sure why. From WebMD:

Researchers found that infants born to mothers with higher blood levels of the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) at delivery had advanced levels of attention spans well into their second year of life. During the first six months of life, these infants were two months ahead of those babies whose mothers had lower DHA levels.

Attention is considered an important, but not the only, component of intelligence early in life, lead researcher John Colombo, PhD, tells WebMD.

"This adds to the mounting evidence that DHA plays an important part in brain development," he says.

DHA is important for the developing brain, which accumulates large amounts of it during the first two years of life. Compared to the rest of the body, the brain and nervous system contains very high levels of DHA but its exact role in the brain is not fully known.

In any case, it certainly can't hurt.

I think you get way more DHA / omega3 from fish oil than you do from any prenatal, FYI. I know my vitamins have 1/10th the amount that is in a single one of my fish oil capsules.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
Some people can't take fish oil pills because of the taste that comes with them. The prenatal/fish oil pair I took (One A Day brand) definitely "revisited" me more than I would have liked, especially in the first trimester. Every burp tasted like fish oil. So did the vomit.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also the fish oil ones may contain mercury which you want to avoid getting to much of in pregnancy and a lot of them contain other ingredients which I wouldn't take if I was pregnant. If you do take them make sure to research all the ingredients and find a good one!

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

lol internet. posted:

This is from a news article I read a few days ago. Note it's mainly about post-natal depression, but they also studied the cognitive and language effects on the children and found no difference at 18 months.

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/adelaidean/issues/42041/news42081.html posted:

Study rejects benefits of fish oil capsules

A University of Adelaide study has found no evidence that taking fish oil capsules during pregnancy can help reduce the risk of post-natal depression, contrary to international recommendations.

In an article published recently in the Journal of the American Medical Association, Professor Maria Makrides said a study of 2400 pregnant women in five Australian maternity hospitals between 2005 and 2009 supported this finding.

Professor Maria Makrides, who is Professor of Human Nutrition at the University of Adelaide and Deputy Director of the Women's and Children's Health Research Institute, said the results also contradicted existing recommendations that fish oil capsules taken in pregnancy help newborn babies' language and cognitive development.

In a five-year study led by Professor Makrides, half the women in the latter stages of pregnancy were given fish oil capsules and the other half vegetable oil capsules. There was no significant difference in either the incidence of post-natal depression or neuro-developmental outcomes of their children.

"These results show that recommendations to increase omega-3 fatty acids in pregnancy are being made without sound evidence," Professor Makrides said.

She said previous findings from the United States and Europe suggesting the benefits of fish and seafood during pregnancy were based on observational studies that could not separate the influence of social variables from the intake of fish and seafood.

"Despite the paucity of hard evidence, women are being recommended to increase their intake of fish oil fats in pregnancy and the nutritional supplement industry is successfully marketing products with fish oil, claiming they optimise brain function in both mother and infant.

"Before omega-3 supplementation in pregnancy becomes widespread, it is important to establish not only any benefits, but also any risks to mother or child," she said.

While depressive symptoms were more common among women with a previous or current diagnosis of depression, there was no difference between the control group and those taking fish oil capsules.

Similarly, 700 children from the study group who were assessed for cognitive and language development at 18 months of age showed no marked differences.

The study was funded by a $1.6 million National Health and Medical Research Centre (NHMRC) grant awarded to Professor Makrides in 2004.

Other University of Adelaide researchers involved in the study included Professor Bob Gibson from the School of Agriculture, Food and Wine, and Professor Philip Ryan and Lisa Yelland from the Discipline of Public Health.

Here's the follow up study, checking the same kids at 4 years of age and also finding no difference between the groups.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140504095609.htm posted:

DHA during pregnancy does not appear to improve cognitive outcomes for children, study indicates
Although there are recommendations for pregnant women to increase their intake of the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) to improve fetal brain development, a randomized trial finds that prenatal DHA supplementation did not result in improved cognitive, problem-solving or language abilities for children at four years of age, according to the study in the May 7 issue of JAMA, a theme issue on child health. This issue is being released early to coincide with the Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting.

Maria Makrides, B.Sc., B.N.D., Ph.D., of the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute, Adelaide, Australia and colleagues conducted longer-term follow-up from a previously published study in which pregnant women received 800 mg/d of DHA or placebo. In the initial study, the researchers found that average cognitive, language, and motor scores did not differ between children at 18 months of age. For the follow-up study, outcomes were assessed at 4 years, a time point when any subtle effects on development should have emerged and can be more reliably assessed.

JBark fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 12, 2014

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I think I remember reading somewhere in this thread that colic drops are a must-have for newborns, but everywhere I've looked is sold out. I'm going to try my luck on Amazon--any particular brand recommendations? I'm trying to buy the last few odds and ends before her arrival. Can't believe I'll get to meet her so soon!

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I think I have the most wonderful madwife. I'm not very far along yet but after a miscarriage, then really late ovulation (day 49, wth body?) and pregnant again, I talked to her today and got told everything sounded like it was perfectly normal and that she's got me an early scan for next Friday. I'll be 6w5d. Am clearly ridiculously hormonal because just knowing that she was competently sorting things like that out for me made me cry.

One of the issues though is spotting after any kind of exertion including my short walk to work, which worries me. My madwife didn't seem to feel that it's an issue but after last time I really don't want to take any chances. Has anyone else had spotting (light, no pain) in (very) early pregnancy and had everything be fine? Given everything that can go wrong in pregnancy I'm starting to be amazed that the human race actually exists...

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Kluliss posted:

One of the issues though is spotting after any kind of exertion including my short walk to work, which worries me. My madwife didn't seem to feel that it's an issue but after last time I really don't want to take any chances. Has anyone else had spotting (light, no pain) in (very) early pregnancy and had everything be fine? Given everything that can go wrong in pregnancy I'm starting to be amazed that the human race actually exists...
Congratulations, and how great that you have a supportive midwife looking after you! I too had quite a bit of light spotting without pain early on. It resolved after the first trimester and I'm due any day now :). My midwives said unexplained bleeding happens in 1/3 of women and usually it's nothing. It's still always good to call when you get concerned--they had me go to the ER a few times just to be checked but everything turned out fine.

It still looks like my little girl is going to be enormous. I was sent for an ultrasound a few days ago, and she's already measuring 10 pounds (I'm 38 weeks today). I know these measurements can be off, and luckily they're not talking induction or c-section just yet, but my amniotic fluid has increased a lot over the last week, so I have to go in a few times a week for extra monitoring to check she's not in distress. They're hoping she just comes a little early to spare even thinking about interventions--wish me luck!

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

amethystbliss posted:

Congratulations, and how great that you have a supportive midwife looking after you! I too had quite a bit of light spotting without pain early on. It resolved after the first trimester and I'm due any day now :). My midwives said unexplained bleeding happens in 1/3 of women and usually it's nothing. It's still always good to call when you get concerned--they had me go to the ER a few times just to be checked but everything turned out fine.

It still looks like my little girl is going to be enormous. I was sent for an ultrasound a few days ago, and she's already measuring 10 pounds (I'm 38 weeks today). I know these measurements can be off, and luckily they're not talking induction or c-section just yet, but my amniotic fluid has increased a lot over the last week, so I have to go in a few times a week for extra monitoring to check she's not in distress. They're hoping she just comes a little early to spare even thinking about interventions--wish me luck!

Thank you, the midwives in Newcastle are actually pretty good, thankfully! It's comforting to hear that things like this happen a lot.

Congratulations on your giant baby as well, here's to pain relief!

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010
I just saw this article circulating around today and thought I'd share. It's regarding safety concerns for the Fisher Price Soothe & Glow Seahorse:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...e-glow-seahorse

Apparently some consumers are saying that there is a fire safety risk. However, Fisher Price has not done a recall yet. Just an FYI as I know so many people get this item for their babies.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Congratulations! I spotted the first few weeks of my current pregnancy, including two big scary bleeds. I'm 33 weeks now and everything is fine. :)

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite

Kluliss posted:

Has anyone else had spotting (light, no pain) in (very) early pregnancy and had everything be fine? Given everything that can go wrong in pregnancy I'm starting to be amazed that the human race actually exists...

I had spotting verging on bleeding up to 18 weeks. I was terrified every time, and ended up having 12 ultrasounds throughout the whole pregnancy. The little bean is sitting next to me trying to bash the keyboard right now. Fingers crossed for you, and congratulations.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Whelp, I got the news today that I have late-onset gestational diabetes and will almost certainly need to have a c-section next week due to my small pelvic measurements, her size, the fact that her tummy is wider than her head, and increased amniotic fluid. Just a week ago everything was going perfectly, and now I'm considered "high risk" and my midwives can't deliver. I know I have to do what is best for her, but I can't help but be really disappointed about not having the option of trying for a vaginal birth :(.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

amethystbliss posted:

Whelp, I got the news today that I have late-onset gestational diabetes and will almost certainly need to have a c-section next week due to my small pelvic measurements, her size, the fact that her tummy is wider than her head, and increased amniotic fluid. Just a week ago everything was going perfectly, and now I'm considered "high risk" and my midwives can't deliver. I know I have to do what is best for her, but I can't help but be really disappointed about not having the option of trying for a vaginal birth :(.

I'm worried I am going to end up in the same boat. I passed my 1-hour and everything was fine until all of a sudden at my 32-week appointment this week, I'm measuring huge but haven't gained weight. My abdomen is measuring 36 weeks. I'm having testing done next Wednesday.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

amethystbliss posted:

It's okay to be disappointed and upset! It can be really hard to have to adjust to not having the birth you expected. <3 I ended up having a c-section for my first for similar reasons (gestational diabetes + frank breech + failed attempt to turn him), but my doctor is really supportive of me trying to VBAC my second now :) It bothered me for some time after his birth, but I don't really give a gently caress now that he's older. We still had skin-to-skin, I saw him right away, I got to breastfeed right away and he nursed well until I weaned him at 22 months, and I healed well :)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
What cream is recommended so you don't get stretch marks on the tummy during pregnancy?

Also what's used for itchy nips?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
You're either going to get stretch marks or you aren't. You can't stop them from happening.

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013

lol internet. posted:

What cream is recommended so you don't get stretch marks on the tummy during pregnancy?

Also what's used for itchy nips?

Extra virgin coconut oil saved my nipples from the crazy end of first trimester itchiness, and it is helping a ton since I started nursing two weeks ago.

I also used it on the rest of my body, and made it out of the pregnancy with no stretch marks. But I was also doing other things that may (or may not have) helped like drinking a lot of bone broth straight up or in soup form, which is supposed to be a good source of collagen and upping my vitamin C intake with a crazy second trimester-long craving for clementines.

There are a lot of theories about how/if stretch marks can be avoided. In my case, I can't say genetics had much to do with it because my mother had stretch marks with her two pregnancies. But she also swears she wouldn't have had any of she didn't scratch her itchy pregnant belly so much - something I managed to avoid with coconut oil, so...who knows.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
My wife used regular cocoa butter lotion and had no stretch marks period. Then during labor she got them on her stomach while pushing.

I think it kind of just happens.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Stitch Lich posted:

There are a lot of theories about how/if stretch marks can be avoided. In my case, I can't say genetics had much to do with it because my mother had stretch marks with her two pregnancies. But she also swears she wouldn't have had any of she didn't scratch her itchy pregnant belly so much - something I managed to avoid with coconut oil, so...who knows.

Anecdotally, my mom didn't get stretch marks, but I got them at the end of my pregnancy, but a year and a half post birth, they're really starting to fade a lot.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I didn't get any my first pregnancy and this time I look like I was attacked by Wolverine. I did nothing different, just luck of the draw.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I didn't get any with my pregnancy and I used nothing except randomly whatever lotion I had lying around when winter itchy skin set in. Stretch marks are basically genetic-- you are going to get them or you won't and there isn't much you can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I'm using a combo cocoa butter / Shea butter bar from lush. No stretch marks so far, but I'm only 37 weeks. It does keep me from being as itchy on the belly as I see a lot of my fellow third-trimesters seem to be, though. I very rarely have any itchiness on my belly, and no dryness at all. I can never remember the exact name of the bar, but it's called like 'king of butter' or something. Two seconds of swiping it on at the end of my shower and I'm all set.