Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I really liked the mayo clinic's pregnancy book. Very informative but easy to understand and read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

lol internet. posted:

The thing is we haven't rooted into Canada yet, we got married, went traveling for about 6 months, relocated to Canada, I got a job, and she had trouble finding one.

She needs to get accepted in the company in the US. I'm\we're not so worried about getting paid leave off or anything as I will be able to support her with my job in Canada in the meantime. I guess she could technically come back to Canada and give birth but pretty sure there's some grey line there. Will have to just see how it all pans out, I hope this doesn't set us back money and stuff because I actually wanted to buy a house in the next 5 years.

Will have a talk with her again.

Echoing what others are saying about this situation. I had probably one of the EASIEST pregnancies ever. I worked till 32 weeks, and I worked construction. In the field. Three days after I started my "leave", I hurt my back cleaning the toilet in the bathroom and was bedridden for 3 days from simple household work. I could not have done it without my husband, at all. I needed help getting off the couch to use the bathroom. Not to be scary, but things can go haywire quickly in a pregnancy, and you can still be "on your way" when she needs you. Hell, even two hours away is too far. My labor didn't even feel like labor until 30 minutes before I had my baby. She would have been born in the car if it wasn't for my water breaking before the contractions started getting regular.

You guys need to seriously sit down and evaluate what you're trying to accomplish with this. This will put a HUGE amount of strain on your wife and your relationship, and that's not really the best way to start a family. I don't see how having her move to another country and paying for two households and her medical care is going to help with saving money when it must certainly be cheaper for you to both to stay in one place.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I LOVE Pregnancy 411. It's well-written, the info is pretty up-to-date, it's very easy to find information, and it's practical without being alarmist. I also appreciated that scary things were in their own chapter, and the information about miscarriage was also separated and clearly labeled, so I didn't have to cry coming across that sort of thing unaware.

edit: Having your wife move to AMERICA to handle a new job and a baby all alone is insane. What's going to happen after the baby comes?

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

potatocubed posted:

On a different subject, can anyone recommend a good pregnancy book for a first-time couple? I've read that 'What to expect when you're expecting' focuses a bit too much on things that can go wrong, which wouldn't be much good for either of us, but I don't know any others.

I like Emily Oster's "Expecting Better." Kind of a different approach than some of the other books...worked well with What to Expect and the Mayo book, in my experience.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I'm due to post in this thread (haha, get it?) but I wanted to check out the books everyone has been recommending. I can't find Pregnancy 411, but I keep seeing "Expecting 411." Is this the book everyone means, or can we chalk my search skills up to (4 week?) pregnancy brain?

http://www.amazon.com/Expecting-411-3rd-Updated-Expanded-ebook/dp/B00IV5B46U

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I honestly didn't read much of the few pregnancy books I bought and just read websites instead.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
That's the one I meant! I'm pregnant again, so blame that one on pregnancy brain ;)

Baby 411 is also really good and worth reading ahead of time.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I have a super creepy book from the 50's where they tell you when the doctor will be putting you to sleep, and how happy you will be when you wake up and have a baby... I don't recommend that book.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So doctor called today and said my wife has the thalassemia trait? (Not sure if i'm using this in the correct way.) or low iron. She needs to get blood tests done next week. Although her family doctor (different one) 7 years ago said she had low blood iron and she took supplements for a bit, then the doctor said she no longer needed to take them.

If I recall, when I was on Accutane and doing monthly blood tests during the treatment about 10 years ago my doctor was telling me I had a blood disease that ran in the family and I should see a doctor before having children :(

Yeah and we're both from SE Asia.

Grouch
Apr 28, 2002
Random Lurker
We found The Day-by-Day Pregnancy Book to be really good.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.

kells posted:

My pelvis has hurt since way back in the beginning and I'm 9 months now. If I try to run or jump or do more than quietly walk waddle from place to place my pelvis gets REALLY sore for a day or so, I can't even roll over in bed without shooting pains. I slept on the couch last night because it was more comfortable and then had to sort of roll off and land on my hands and knees to get up.

Some people say it goes away immediately after giving birth, I really hope that's true!!!

It went away instantly for me, so keep your chin up! I had horrible pelvic pain from around 4 months on, and had to schedule light activity with a timer for 20 minutes on, 1 hour off or else I would be a shuffling wreck the next day but as soon as my giant baby was out of there it all cleared up. I still get the odd twinge around the sacroiliac area after a bit of walking at 9 weeks postpartum, but like a 1/10 on the pain scale type thing :)

I found that keeping my ankles and knees consciously "glued together" around the support pillow I had between them while changing positions in bed really helped, I always tried to keep my hips aligned one on top of the other like in Pilates positions and that helped some too.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

We welcomed a gorgeous girl into the world last week--she was nearly 10 pounds after all! I was so anxious about needing a c-section, but in the end it was a lovely birth experience.

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 19, 2016

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We also have a tiny baby! Adara was born on Memorial Day at 7 lb 5 ounces and is basically a champ at everything. So far we're nursing great after a couple initial latch issues, and making tons of wet diapers.

I do have a question, though. Part of the latch issue where she started mauling my nipple is that she reaches a point where she doesn't want milk, she just wants to comfort of sucking-- so she chomps down on the end of it to stop the flow and sucks. Painful! I asked the LC about introducing a pacifier to help her get to sleep with this sucking thing since she screams bloody murder without it, and she was afraid I might tank my supply and recommended waiting until we'd regain birthweight?

What do the goons think? Alternate suggestions? A nurse proposed using a finger instead, but I'm not sure I see the difference between a pacifier for 5 minutes or a finger for 5 minutes. Literally nothing else calms her enough to sleep but sucking, and I'm really not willing to sacrifice my nipples to the cause.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*

cailleask posted:

We also have a tiny baby! Adara was born on Memorial Day at 7 lb 5 ounces and is basically a champ at everything. So far we're nursing great after a couple initial latch issues, and making tons of wet diapers.

I do have a question, though. Part of the latch issue where she started mauling my nipple is that she reaches a point where she doesn't want milk, she just wants to comfort of sucking-- so she chomps down on the end of it to stop the flow and sucks. Painful! I asked the LC about introducing a pacifier to help her get to sleep with this sucking thing since she screams bloody murder without it, and she was afraid I might tank my supply and recommended waiting until we'd regain birthweight?

What do the goons think? Alternate suggestions? A nurse proposed using a finger instead, but I'm not sure I see the difference between a pacifier for 5 minutes or a finger for 5 minutes. Literally nothing else calms her enough to sleep but sucking, and I'm really not willing to sacrifice my nipples to the cause.

I'd recommend waiting on the pacifier for awhile until breastfeeding is more established (at least 3-4 weeks). I'd also recommend trimming your nails really short, then putting your pinky finger in her mouth upside down, with your nail on her tongue. Some babies just have a strong need to suck since it is so comforting to them.

Congrats on your daughter, by the way, and the same to amethystbliss!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

cailleask posted:

I agree that you should wait until your baby regains her birth weight if not until three to four weeks old. The reason a finger is considered different than a pacifier is that the bone and the fingernail in it have a completely different sensation to them than a nipple or artificial nipple (like on a bottle or a pacifier). It's not nearly as likely to impact your daughter's latch, whereas an artificial nipple can actually change it in a negative way. It's still the best to comfort nurse at the breast but I definitely get the clamping down thing. My newborn likes to look around while latched on. :/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife and I are talking about getting pregnant. I'm not exactly on board yet, and I'd like to find any books or articles written from a similar perspective. That is, a man who's hesitant or unsure about having kids. Any recommendations?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

skeetied posted:

I agree that you should wait until your baby regains her birth weight if not until three to four weeks old. The reason a finger is considered different than a pacifier is that the bone and the fingernail in it have a completely different sensation to them than a nipple or artificial nipple (like on a bottle or a pacifier). It's not nearly as likely to impact your daughter's latch, whereas an artificial nipple can actually change it in a negative way. It's still the best to comfort nurse at the breast but I definitely get the clamping down thing. My newborn likes to look around while latched on. :/

Her latch is getting a lot less violent now that I've got some serious milk in (so she doesn't drown herself, hah!) so it's becoming less of an issue at least. She also doesn't seem to want to spend as much time sucking (see aforementioned milk-drowning) and is falling asleep faster. Hopefully we don't regress, though. I really like my nipples un-scabby.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. It really helps to have something definite for me to latch onto when it's 3am and she's crying and I just want to sleep!

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

cailleask posted:

Her latch is getting a lot less violent now that I've got some serious milk in (so she doesn't drown herself, hah!) so it's becoming less of an issue at least. She also doesn't seem to want to spend as much time sucking (see aforementioned milk-drowning) and is falling asleep faster. Hopefully we don't regress, though. I really like my nipples un-scabby.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. It really helps to have something definite for me to latch onto when it's 3am and she's crying and I just want to sleep!

That said, if you just have had enough completely don't feel bad about trying a paci. My daughter had one from day one and we didn't have any significant problems nursing. Sounds like your girl is a good eater, so if you just can't take it anymore she should be ok with switching to a paci for soothing. (That's OK nursing wise - she may not actually like a paci at first try)

Getting her to eventually stop the paci... I'll let you know when we finally succeed. I'm hoping we'll be down to just at bed and nap time by the time #2 makes his appearance (September!).

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

cailleask posted:

I really like my nipples un-scabby.

We started using a pacifier from day 2 or 3 since the lactation consultant said it would help loosen up her latch. She took to it for the first few days, but now that my milk has come in, she's completely disinterested. Also, Mother Love nipple cream is amazing. I use it after every feeding and haven't had any dryness or cracking.

Has anyone's baby had a tight frenulum? We've had a few issues with her latch, but overall she's feeding really well. The lactation consultant and pediatrician said she may need to have it clipped, but they're not rushing into it just yet.

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 3, 2014

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I have a question about running when pregnant - I'm under 9 weeks but I've stayed feeling really uncomfortable when running, as if my uterus is jostling about, it's definitely not a comfortable sensation.

Given I'm so early on, so you reckon I can get away with just wearing tummy control pants under my running shorts or does anyone know of a device which does something similar that's not spanx?

Wasn't sure if this thread or the running one was most appropriate for this question...

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I'd recommend waiting on the pacifier for awhile until breastfeeding is more established (at least 3-4 weeks). I'd also recommend trimming your nails really short, then putting your pinky finger in her mouth upside down, with your nail on her tongue. Some babies just have a strong need to suck since it is so comforting to them.

Congrats on your daughter, by the way, and the same to amethystbliss!

The pinky finger is awesome!
For another perspective, we waited too long to introduce a pacifier because "OMG latch issues!" The result was a baby that point blank refused anything vaguely nippleshaped that wasn't an actual nipple. It's awesome to be pacifier-free now that she's 11 months, but there were some horrible months where my boobs were the pacifier when she wasn't actually hungry, but just wanted something to suckle while she fell asleep. Not making that mistake again!

But nursing IS awful for the first couple of weeks, then your nipples toughen up and it's (unless there are other issues) a breeze.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Kluliss posted:

I have a question about running when pregnant - I'm under 9 weeks but I've stayed feeling really uncomfortable when running, as if my uterus is jostling about, it's definitely not a comfortable sensation.

Given I'm so early on, so you reckon I can get away with just wearing tummy control pants under my running shorts or does anyone know of a device which does something similar that's not spanx?

Wasn't sure if this thread or the running one was most appropriate for this question...

I was a runner, too, when I became pregnant. I got the go-ahead to run as long as I was comfortable, and didn't overheat. It was the beginning of the third trimester for me when running became uncomfortable and I stopped, but I have had friends who became uncomfortable almost right away. Personally, especially so early in your pregnancy, I wouldn't run at all right now if it's uncomfortable. I would stay away from compressing the belly to run, as well. Maybe switch to the elliptical or swimming until the pregnancy is more established, and then give it another go?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

The pinky finger is awesome!
For another perspective, we waited too long to introduce a pacifier because "OMG latch issues!" The result was a baby that point blank refused anything vaguely nippleshaped that wasn't an actual nipple. It's awesome to be pacifier-free now that she's 11 months, but there were some horrible months where my boobs were the pacifier when she wasn't actually hungry, but just wanted something to suckle while she fell asleep. Not making that mistake again!

But nursing IS awful for the first couple of weeks, then your nipples toughen up and it's (unless there are other issues) a breeze.

We're back over birth weight so I've tried a couple times in the middle of the night when my nipple can't take it anymore... and she sucks for two minutes then spits it out. Welp. She'll suck on my finger for longer than that.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Chandrika posted:

I was a runner, too, when I became pregnant. I got the go-ahead to run as long as I was comfortable, and didn't overheat. It was the beginning of the third trimester for me when running became uncomfortable and I stopped, but I have had friends who became uncomfortable almost right away. Personally, especially so early in your pregnancy, I wouldn't run at all right now if it's uncomfortable. I would stay away from compressing the belly to run, as well. Maybe switch to the elliptical or swimming until the pregnancy is more established, and then give it another go?

Thank you for the advice! I've been told I can do it as I was running before (albeit short runs under 5k), so today I had a test run using my ComfyShorts (which whilst not 'tight' are comfortingly close) and...well, it feels different from pre-pregnancy but it's not totally uncomfortable, possibly the other day was just a bad day and the wrong shorts. As for overheating, British Summer has just kicked in (now that I have a week off) and it's chucking it down. No danger of being too warm here! I usually run in shorts and a light vest top though as I do get hot when running even in relatively cool weather. Will just have to take it easy :) Hopefully it'll get easier in a few weeks when I pass the magical miscarriage barrier (9 weeks tomorrow, not long to go! :toot:)

Chiming in on pinky, it was the absolute best way to stop my niece being grizzly since dummies got spat out immediately. Going to be using it on my bean too no doubt.

Moon Prism
May 9, 2014
My big sis is due any day soon. Is there anything you really wish your friends or relatives would have done for you or would do for you towards the end of your pregnancy/shortly after giving birth? I'm presently trying to just give her a ton of space because our parents and her husbands parents are both getting their first grandbaby and kind of freaking out about the whole thing, but I want to give her something nice or do something nice for her.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
Make sure she has lots of food! Dinners, snacks, especially things that help lactation if she's breastfeeding. When I had my daughter, I didn't have to cook for about 2 weeks, nor did I have the energy to.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you live close by and have a good relationship, go over and do the dishes / laundry / clean something.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Just don't do what my family did. I came home from the hospital on friday and proceeded to have almost a dozen people from out of town show up on the saturday and sunday. I was so freaking exhausted and the only reason I didn't have a total meltdown is because my mother (who thoughtfully stayed out of the way) brought over a bunch of snack trays and instant prep stuff for the guests.

I think my boyfriend and I just really wish someone would come cook and do dishes for us. Those are the two things that are getting put off, really.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Especially see if she has any post birth cravings. Little things like that can be really emotionally helpful. I was craving protein really bad post birth for like a week. All I wanted to eat was chicken tenders and burgers.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
If you can afford it, maybe send her out for a manicure/pedicure and a massage. I would shank a puppy right now for a massage.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My most appreciated thing was DVDs/video games that a friend brought by. Really easy, brainless stuff because man newborns don't do much but you're so tired! It was nice to have lightweight activities to pass the time with while feeding on the couch.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
Just heard our baby's heartbeat for the first time yesterday morning. I am just a little over 9 weeks, and that was the coolest thing I've ever heard in my life. We are telling my parents on Monday, and were supposed to tell his parents tonight, but they cancelled on us. Maybe next time, I guess!

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Emily A. Stanton posted:

Just don't do what my family did. I came home from the hospital on friday and proceeded to have almost a dozen people from out of town show up on the saturday and sunday. I was so freaking exhausted and the only reason I didn't have a total meltdown is because my mother (who thoughtfully stayed out of the way) brought over a bunch of snack trays and instant prep stuff for the guests.

I think my boyfriend and I just really wish someone would come cook and do dishes for us. Those are the two things that are getting put off, really.
Seconding this. I hate hospitals so I got discharged as soon as possible (less than 24 hours after admission woo!) Within hours of getting home, people poured in, unasked and emptyhanded. They took over the living room and just sat around talking. 36 hours of "early labour" left me too exhausted for rage at the time but I was furious about it after the fact. If I had to do it again, I'd stay in the stupid hospital overnight just to forestall those inconsiderate fuckos.

Bringing easy-to-prepare food is great but you can also do dishes or sweep/vacuum, walk the dog or scoop litter boxes. Anything so the parents can focus on caring for the new baby and for themselves. Most importantly: wash your hands, hold baby for a little bit, then GTFO.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Try & go over to help her clean now, before the baby gets here. I went early & came home to a wrecked house because I was too exhausted from being huge & working to do anything but the bare minimum. I would have loved it if someone had come over & vacuumed & mopped for me.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I was in early labour for 5 days before my family doctor 'accidentally' broke my water at the clinic. After a speedy drive to the hospital I gave birth 2 hours later :v:. They didn't think it would go that quick so my doctor was like "I'm going for lunch!" and then had to rush back and made it for the last 5 minutes. And if it's your first birth, they keep you in the hospital 3 days minimum. Which sucked SO much.

Needless to say our house was an absolute mess when I went into the hospital, but my boyfriend took advantage of the 3 days of me being there and cleaned the place from top to bottom to make sure everything was perfect when we came home. :)

Autumn, born at 7lbs 6oz.

iamnotjojo
Feb 2, 2012
Hi, new to the pregnancy thread, and I'm 35 weeks along. Just started reading this thread a couple days ago. I have a weird question. Since I got pregnant, I've had this strange, involuntary intake of breath every once in a while. Usually, at least maybe once every 2 hours or so, sometimes more. And it happens during the day or night, it doesn't matter. My husband was actually thinking I was sighing in exasperation until I told him I couldn't help it. Since I've hit 7 months, it has actually increased. I looked it up on google, and I didn't really see anything specifically related to pregnancy, but I did notice it may be linked to thyroid problems.

I do have a thyroid condition that is being treated, and the last time my levels were checked was a couple weeks ago, but I never had this issue before pregnancy. Has anyone else had this weird thing happen to them? It is not an extremely important issue for me, but I have been curious about it.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I had it too. My OB said it's due to the baby pushing on your ribs. Now that I'm 38w2d and she has moved down into my pelvis, it doesn't happen anymore.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

iamnotjojo posted:

Hi, new to the pregnancy thread, and I'm 35 weeks along. Just started reading this thread a couple days ago. I have a weird question. Since I got pregnant, I've had this strange, involuntary intake of breath every once in a while. Usually, at least maybe once every 2 hours or so, sometimes more. And it happens during the day or night, it doesn't matter. My husband was actually thinking I was sighing in exasperation until I told him I couldn't help it. Since I've hit 7 months, it has actually increased. I looked it up on google, and I didn't really see anything specifically related to pregnancy, but I did notice it may be linked to thyroid problems.

I do have a thyroid condition that is being treated, and the last time my levels were checked was a couple weeks ago, but I never had this issue before pregnancy. Has anyone else had this weird thing happen to them? It is not an extremely important issue for me, but I have been curious about it.

If it makes you feel better, one of my friends is at the same stage of her pregnancy and she does this pretty much all the time. She doesn't have any major medical issues (thyroid or otherwise) so like the other poster said it might just be that your ribs and lungs are getting a little cramped in there.

I'm not a voice of personal experience though, I'm just going by what I've seen her going through.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.

Moon Prism posted:

My big sis is due any day soon. Is there anything you really wish your friends or relatives would have done for you or would do for you towards the end of your pregnancy/shortly after giving birth? I'm presently trying to just give her a ton of space because our parents and her husbands parents are both getting their first grandbaby and kind of freaking out about the whole thing, but I want to give her something nice or do something nice for her.

I know I was amazingly thirsty and craving potassium when I got home, and was chugging coconut water like it was manna from heaven, so take her a few cartons of that especially if she had to be on a drip and/or is breastfeeding. Protein bars are also pretty great for those times at 3am when you need to eat but only have one spare hand and can't sit down. She might really appreciate a huge bottle of the most heavy duty, hypoallergenic plain type moisturiser you can get, my skin got quite dry and sensitive during pregnancy but went really crazy after giving birth and I was super glad to have tons of the stuff (and she can use it as baby wash too, most "baby" products are crazy harsh - J&J I'm looking at you, ugh). Also, like other people have suggested, washing dishes and doing laundry and things will make you her favourite person, since everyone else that visits will be making mess, not helping with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Moon Prism posted:

Yeah, clean stuff, bring food, and if she has one of those "I have to be rocked AT ALL TIMES otherwise I'll cry my head off!"-babies, rock the baby so mum and dad can go collapse in a corner somewhere. And acknowledge the fact that she's probably exhausted and filled to the brim with weird-rear end hormones. Whenever people was all "oh, enjoy this precious time, you must be so happy!!" I pretty much had to bite my tongue to avoid saying "No, actually, I fell like poo poo! These first few weeks are horrible!"

You're awesome for thinking of her :)