Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We are officially TTC for babby two! For some reason I’m way more nervous about the whole thing than I was with our first.

The thing I’ve used the most are changing pads. Munchkin has a three pack for ten bux and I’ve used them every single day for the last 15 months. It’s just a piece of fabric that’s soft on one side and waterproof on the other, and you can change your baby literally anywhere. Great for changing on the couch or floor or throwing one down on a public changing table, if we ever get around to going out in public again. I use one on top of our actual changing pillow so we don’t have to wash the cover as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I'm going to be doing another set of embryo transfers next year and am already having to start arranging life/work around it in case it works. I really enjoyed being pregnant but I'm also really dreading the back pain and immunosuppression that came with it.

Baneling Butts posted:

I'm at 28 weeks today with my first and it feel like I haven't done anything yet (besides go to the midwife): no shopping, no baby shower, no antenatal classes booked, not picked out a name ... My husband seems to think we still have plenty of time but I'm starting to worry, lol. Does anyone have an online list of "baby stuff to get" that they recommend?
Don't worry that was pretty much me for my entire pregnancy. I did get one or two things but my husband wasn't keen on getting a bunch of stuff until the baby was actually here, but other than that we never went to any antenatal classes, didn't have a baby shower and it took us ages to pick out a name.

This definitely counts as a "nice to have" rather than necessity, but one thing I WISH I had for baby 1, and will definitely be buying if there is a baby 2, is one of those baby sleep gown things that has a tie or cord at the bottom like a purse string for the newborn stage. We had a bunch of onesies and pants and fiddling with all of those layers several times a night with a newborn sucked - convenient nappy access for sleep deprived parents is now a big pro in my book.

Also, this is probably a post-natal purchase but if you find you need a breastpump I would totally recommend going full hog and getting a double electric pump. I personally found single hand pumps to be a massively inefficient use of time that could otherwise be spent sleeping, and they weren't that great at getting milk out for me either. I bit the bullet and got a double electric pump and it was lifechanging. 25-30min, hands free, both sides completely empty. Magical.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I think the most underrated thing my wife had for both our girls was nipple guards, she has implants so her nipples don't gravitate to a more downward angle when full of milk which made for some interesting feeding positions to get the babies to latch. This resulted in her getting very sore early on after both births getting back into the swing of breast feeding, nipple guards made life a little less painful.
Downsides is it's another set of stuff to have to worry about sterilising everyday.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

My wife tells everyone to insist on seeing a breastfeeding consultant at the hospital(if available), especially if they're trying to push formula immediately. We weren't actually aware nipple shields were a thing and she has slightly inverted nipples which made latching difficult. The general nurses on the ward just gave formula where as the consultants actually worked with us to get kiddo on the breast.

Honey Im Homme fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 9, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Honey Im Homme posted:

My wife tells everyone to insist on seeing a breastfeeding consultant at the hospital(if available), especially if they're trying to push formula immediately. We weren't actually aware nipple shields were a thing and she has slightly inverted nipples which made latching difficult. The general nurses on the ward just gave formula where as the consultants actually worked with us to get kiddo on the breast.

I completely agree with "see a lactation consultant" but want to add to be wary and make sure you don't come away from it thinking formula is bad and struggle to get baby fed entirely on milk from the get go if your milk just isn't in yet.

Do whatever you can to get the baby fed. If the baby is alive and eating and pooping and all that, then at the end of the day you're doing well.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My OB said I should probably see a lactation consultant because my nipples are quite small. Not sure how that affects anything, but I’m cool with supplementing with formula if I need to.

My mom said I refused to eat when I was born. I was born 6lbs, but quickly dropped down to 4lbs. She said it took some time in the hospital and 3 whole months to get me back up to my birthweight.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It can affect flow, iirc. Smaller area for the milk to come out and all that.

But yeah just being shown exactly where to put the baby, a couple different positions, anything to get more comfortable plopping the baby on can be helpful even if it doesn't really include that much new information.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Wrong thread...

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I decided to do a bit of weeding today to prepare for our small backyard baby shower next week. Tripped on the big crack between sidewalk blocks and skinned my knee. Fortunately, there was no impact on my stomach and baby seems to be doing just fine. My ankles are kinda hosed up though. One of them only hurts when I move it in a certain way, but the other one is in constant pain.

I’m elevating it with an ice pack and will go into the clinic tomorrow if it hasn’t improved by then. I might have sprained it. Of course I go and injure myself when I was planning to do a bunch of cleaning and yard work to prepare for the shower.

I’m glad I kept my cane around from my knee injury a few years ago. I need it to hobble around my house now.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I had my 20 week appointment yesterday (the detailed anatomy scan) and it was deeply unpleasant in a way I wasn’t expecting. I’m very squeamish and I almost passed out. The baby is doing great and I’m thrilled about that, but I apparently just can’t handle seeing the inside of my body :( God I hope I can survive the actual birth.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

I had my 20 week appointment yesterday (the detailed anatomy scan) and it was deeply unpleasant in a way I wasn’t expecting. I’m very squeamish and I almost passed out. The baby is doing great and I’m thrilled about that, but I apparently just can’t handle seeing the inside of my body :( God I hope I can survive the actual birth.

Oh dear, that sounds pretty unexpected! I’m fairly squeamish myself, but ultrasounds are no big deal to me since they’re very non-invasive. My husband got nothing out of the anatomy scan video I captured for him since he just sees it as “noise”.

I know sometimes that nurses will want to hold up a mirror so you can see your baby crowning. Maybe you’ll have to tell them that you don’t want to see anything going on down there ahead of time.

I had an appointment to get more of my wart scraped off today and my doctor asked if we knew what we’re having. I said we were told it’s a girl, but that I know ultrasounds aren’t 100% accurate. He recommended a boutique ultrasound to know for sure. Our backyard BBQ baby shower is on Saturday and we’re hoping to do a name reveal on a cake. I have to order the cake by tomorrow, so we don’t really have time to do a boutique ultrasound. We’re gonna hedge our bets that it’ll come out a Lydia instead of a Julian.

Though I’m really not liking that the forecast for Saturday is looking to be 60% chance of rain. I want it to stay sunny so we can stay outdoors!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Nessa posted:

I know sometimes that nurses will want to hold up a mirror so you can see your baby crowning. Maybe you’ll have to tell them that you don’t want to see anything going on down there ahead of time.

Though I’m really not liking that the forecast for Saturday is looking to be 60% chance of rain. I want it to stay sunny so we can stay outdoors!
Oh yes definitely, I will pass on peeking at anything going on down there lol.
I hope it doesn’t rain on you this weekend!

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I can't look at my first born daughters left ear the same after taking a peek while my wife was giving birth.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

remigious posted:

I got really dizzy near the end of mine too, but I think it’s because she was pushing pretty hard on my lower abdomen, maybe cutting off some blood flow.

I am pretty squeamish too though, definitely don’t want a mirror! And the idea of getting a C-section while wide awake really freaks me out.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I remember when writing my birth plan up, my midwife asked me if I wanted a hand mirror used during labour. I couldn’t think of anything worse. She said I might change my mind during labour, but I sure didn’t.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Heh I wonder how long my husband will last, I know he plans to watch the entire process.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol we're two months out from the due date and we haven't finalised picking a name yet. My partner's pretty adamant about not doing that until after actually seeing the baby.

Just started prenatal classes last Friday. We were holding off in the hopes of being able to do them in-person, and this is one of the first classes that's allowed to do that (with precautions). It's nice to actually meet other pregnant couples in person.

Anyway the instructor is this no-nonsense, tattooed birth doula who's attended over a thousand births. She has some great stories, like the one where mom, dad and doula were all wearing GoPros (:wtc:), or one where they were super-religious, so the instructions were for nobody to say a word so dad could read out prayers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I was able to watch (I uh was not the one giving birth) but completely, utterly understand those who don't want to.

Only thing I had to try desperately to ignore was the epidural going in and I wasn't even in the room.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My husband watched and was all good. One of the midwives borrowed his phone to take pictures, all good, but didn’t realise at the time that she also got shots of baby crowning. I saw it. Not a fan.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
My husband watched, I hated him watching. They asked me if I wanted the mirror. I said NO.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My husband was out of the room both times and it was correct and good.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Before birth my husband said he absolutely would not look, but during the birth he decided to look at her crowning. It looked like he was going to pass out but he swears he felt fine. I didn’t look, I don’t have crowning pictures, and I’m just fine not knowing what it looked like.

My husband adamantly refused to cut the umbilical cord, so my BFF/honorary aunt to my kid cut it instead.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My husband went back and forth between the head and the foot of the bed. He says he didn’t see me poop but he did see that there was poop. Somehow he still wants to have sex with me.

I didn’t get offered a mirror (totally would have taken it) when Asher was crowning but I did reach down and feel his head. Super weird feeling because they’ve been squished and it does not feel like what you expect a head to feel like.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Cutting the cord ruined bacon for me forever.
Its like snipping bacon rind

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Whats the uh...point of watching the birth? I plan to be in the room with my wife, since I get why being there to meet the baby and support my wife is important, but I don't know if I want to watch the actual process. Not in a "ew gross" kind of way, but in the same way I wouldn't watch my wife get a knee replacement. I just don't see the utility. Maybe I'll change my mind as the due date gets closer?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
My husband saw passing glances, he was holding one of my legs. I was lazer focused on getting baby out so I mostly looked at the ceiling and the NBA game playing in the background, lol. It wasn't until the baby was out and on my chest that I really registered her as a separate being in my mind. I literally don't know what happened down there and that's fine by me.

As far as why, miracle of birth, etc etc. For the person giving birth if you are having trouble timing your pushes or getting tired sometimes seeing the head crowning can be a guide and motivation to keep it up.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

marchantia posted:

My husband saw passing glances, he was holding one of my legs. I was lazer focused on getting baby out so I mostly looked at the ceiling and the NBA game playing in the background, lol. It wasn't until the baby was out and on my chest that I really registered her as a separate being in my mind. I literally don't know what happened down there and that's fine by me.

As far as why, miracle of birth, etc etc. For the person giving birth if you are having trouble timing your pushes or getting tired sometimes seeing the head crowning can be a guide and motivation to keep it up.

Now that you mention it, husband was a really big help in pushing because he would say things like “keep going she is almost here!” And when I felt like I was pushing my guts out and didn’t feel like anything was happening at all he assured me he saw her moving when I pushed.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I looked, and can't look at my first born daughters left ear the same.

Our second we had at home on the sofa, I felt much better not looking and staying by my wife's head and supporting her.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
She is giving birth at a hospital so hopefully the nurses/doctors will be the ones giving her advice about pushing (first time, not familiar with the process). But if I need to do it I will not shirk my duty.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
My husband accidentally saw the wrong side of the curtain during my c section and regrets it. Considering I almost fainted when I saw my incision for the first time, I don't blame him.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh yeah if my wife had needed a csection I'm not at all sure I could have stayed in the room without feeling faint.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Baby shower is today. It’s a backyard BBQ. It’s been raining all day and there’s a chance of thundershowers this afternoon. Yesterday the forecast said it would be sunny.

My best friend can’t come because her boyfriend potentially got exposed to Covid, so they had to get tested and she’s actively sick now. My dad and sister can’t come because my dad got sick this morning as well. Other friends can’t come because they decided to go out of town this weekend instead.

My father in law, brother in law and sister in law only want to stay for a short time, so they just asked us when we’re doing the name reveal so they can come to that and just leave.

I already cried in the shower this morning, but I hope I can make it the rest of the day without having a breakdown.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Oh Nessa I’m sorry. This pandemic has really put a spanner in the works of everyone’s lives. On top of that, it sounds like you’ve got some inconsiderate pricks who aren’t making you feel much better about the party.

It’s so hard to be excited when the people you want can’t be there for you, specially when you’ve clearly put in effort for a nice day.

Cry if you need to, don’t even worry about that. This is a hard time and you’re allowed to feel however you feel.

I hope you have a good day. Eat a bunch of cake and get everyone else to clean up for you.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I’m so sorry Nessa, that really blows :( I hope everything works out and your day is salvageable.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Not sure how you were going to do the name reveal but change it to a picture of a middle finger instead.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I was going to post about how I just learned that placenta the organ is actually named after placenta the ancient Greco-Roman pastry that was probably the precursor to baklava, burek and basically phyllo pastry in general.

But bleh, Nessa, that really sucks. Put a lot of it down to covid, but I hope you still had/have a chance to connect with the people who care about you.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The weather gods smiled upon me and the skies cleared from an hour before the party to shortly after we finished bringing everything inside. It actually turned out to be a really lovely day. My in-laws ended up staying for a good couple hours when I was worried they’d just come for cake and leave. Brother-in-law and sister-in-law ended up bringing a huge basket of clothes, books, toys, etc. Father-in-law brought nothing, but he didn’t bring anything to brother-in-law’s wedding last month either, so I am not surprised.

Father-in-law was convinced we were having a boy and when he saw my letter scramble game for guessing the baby name, he immediately just wrote Darrel. Lol. We did the name reveal on an ice cream cake. Father-in-law said the cake should have been pink instead of blue. The cake was teal with white polka dots on the outside edge with purple writing and icing daisies. Ultimately, a pretty feminine looking cake that went with my existing baby shower colour scheme of purple, teal and blue.

I had a lot of fun looking at what people guessed for names. I had all the letters in baby’s full name with the hint that 3 letters were used twice and one letter was used 3 times. My favourite guess was from friends of ours who put down “Kale Salads.” A lot of people guessed names like Daisy, Ariel, Skyla, Kelsey, Kylie, Tyler and Riley. No one guessed the correct name until I messaged my friend who was home sick so she could play a modified version of the game. My husband suggested I make it easier by including all the letters in the correct proportions. Her boyfriend immediately guessed Lydia and was the only one to win the game!

Overall, it was a super lovely day. My friend and I will plan a day to get together once she is well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

We have a friend whose daughter's name is Lydia and she is a super dear and it's a lovely name and I dunno where I'm going with this but that's lovely.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
So glad it turned out for you Nessa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I am so relieved everything turned out so well. Now I can just relax and go pick up more baby things this week!

silvergoose posted:

We have a friend whose daughter's name is Lydia and she is a super dear and it's a lovely name and I dunno where I'm going with this but that's lovely.

Thank you! When we got down to our shortlist of names, Lydia happened to be the favourite for both of us, so it ended up being an easy choice! My husband was also really fond of Olivia, but Olivia has been in the top ten names for the past 12 years or so. Lydia has a similar feel and cadence while not being crazy popular right now.