Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
-

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

AlistairCookie - that sucks. :( Even if it doesn't make the most financial sense, maybe you could try to figure out a way to have some sort of part-time job if it really helps to keep you sane and happy. I feel like a happy, well-adjusted parent who may not be home 100% of the time is far preferable to a miserable, resentful stay-at-home parent.

I hope you're able to figure out a solution that makes you happy - in the end, you enjoying your life IS a really big upside for your family as a whole.

(...said the non-parent who hasn't had to deal with day care costs yet.)

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

That is one cute baby, zombie duck v2.0.

Dr. Octagon posted:

I'm 23 weeks along with our first baby. I'm just starting to pick out items for a registry, and realizing that I hate most of what's available.

YUP. I'm in exactly the same boat. And 90% of items for boys are stupid cars or sports.

Did anyone here register for cloth diapers at Babies R Us? The options available there are BumGenius 4.0, Flip, Econobum, Charlie Banana, G Diaper, Kushies all-in-ones and Cutey Baby all-in-ones. I'm looking for a one-size system that allows you to re-use the cover instead of washing the whole thing every time, so the Flips look good. They do have regular prefolds, but only one kind of cover (a Kushies brand one that got bad reviews on the Babies R Us website because of the velcro not sticking). So I'd have to get covers elsewhere. Any recommendations on any of this stuff?

Also, I wanted to suggest to anyone registering at Babies R Us that you just do everything online and not bother actually going to the store. The website has a better selection, and you won't get sucked into 20-minute car seat sales pitches when you try to return the scan gun and leave. I wish I'd just gone in and went straight to the stroller section instead of ever mentioning a registry.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Good to know that Flips are well-regarded here; that seems to be the case everywhere. I'm pretty excited about them; they seem perfect! I think I'll just register for those at Babies R Us since their price is the same as other places.

What did you guys use if your kid as a newborn was too small for one-size diapers? Or could you use them right from the start? I suspect my baby will be big based on family history, but you never know. Getting a set of specifically-sized small cloth diapers is unappealing because it will just double the total cost and then he'll grow out of them in a few weeks.

I'll have a bunch of plain 14" x 20" prefolds and Snappis. Are those prefolds ridiculously too huge for a newborn? Could they just be folded down? If they'd work, maybe I could get some small covers and call it a day. I'm also not completely opposed to using disposables for a couple of weeks (especially if people get them as a shower gift).

I have one more question about cloth diapering (and hey, sorry for starting a discussion that may have already taken place in the past). And that would be about using cloth wipes. Will baby washcloths work for that? Or maybe just cutting up flannel receiving blankets or burp cloths? I'm interested in the laziest wiping method possible, and I've read of people just making a solution in a spray bottle, spraying onto the wipe, cleaning and tossing the wipe in the pail with the dirty diapers. That seems pretty easy. Any experience with this?

In other news, my son's nursery "theme" shall be Dinosaurs. I wasn't going to do a theme, but the dinosaur stuff in question matches the walls and curtains we already have, plus dinosaurs are awesome, so it was kind of a no-brainer.

Oh, and I'm due October 30th. :spooky: Hi.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

What a cool-looking mobile! Where did you get it? I was just going to go with the pterodactyl one that matches the dinosaur stuff for my future kid's room, but yours looks way more interesting for a baby to look at. (You also have a totally adorable baby.)

Awesome Kristin - I had light cramping for the first few weeks, too, but nothing bad enough to medicate. Unless it's really painful, I'd probably just let it ride.

My 21-week-old fetus kicked the crap out of me for 5 hours off and on today; the most kicking I've felt yet. Settle down, Beavis.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Winson_Paine, thanks so much for the cloth diaper trip report and links! It's great to hear about your good experience (and looks like you found an awesome deal).

Question - did/does anyone use any white noise to help soothe your newborn? I read something about recordings of "womb sounds" and it piqued my interest (I'm also reading The Happiest Baby on the Block, but haven't reached the section about sound yet). I've heard of people running vacuum cleaners or hair dryers, too. Just wondering about this, particularly what sounds seem to help the most.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Roxy Rouge posted:

I was convinced I was having a girl. Everyone around me fed into my belief, telling me that the mom always knows.

Haha, I got that too. "Mom always knows" was the WORST. My internal reaction was "WTF, idiot? No, I don't! How the hell could I possibly know?" What I would actually do was smile and say "we'll see!" All the superstition about guessing the gender really got to me. No, the shape of my belly makes no difference, no amount of non-scientific bullshit gender tests will tell anyone anything, the heart rate means nothing, whatever I'm craving doesn't have a drat thing to do with it. Shut the gently caress up until I go get my ultrasound at 20 weeks.

We're having a boy. :) I sort of thought maybe it was a girl, but I'm only used to girl babies, so the thought of a boy was a little shocking. It only took me a couple of days to get used to the idea of a boy, though.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Of course naming a child is hard - that kid will have that name for the rest of his/her life! It's really important and a ton of pressure. I stressed out about it a lot, too. Fortunately my husband has had a good boy name in mind forever and we're going with it (sorry, but I'm not going to share it here). Girl names were extremely hard to think of, especially since I wanted something strong-sounding yet feminine, not too common and not at all bizarre. But it turned out not to matter since we're having a boy.

I admit that I get angry when I hear about parents giving their kids stupid names. I don't care if it's YOUR BABY. It's a human being. If you want to name something Rainbow Paisley, get a dog.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Oh God, I'm worried about foot swelling. I'm at 25 weeks and don't have any yet. But I'll be the maid of honor in a wedding when I'm at 32 weeks, and my dress is knee-length, so feet will be visible. I would love it if any horrible foot swelling could at least hold off until after that, please, so I don't look like a freak. :ohdear:

Does it generally happen pretty late in the pregnancy, or could it strike at any time?

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

I like talking about the pregnancy, but I don't like the patronizing unwarranted advice/comments. "Sleep while you can, you never will again" is a really good example. I had a recent night of NO sleep due to work and school anxiety (non-baby-related) and was upset about it, but almost everyone I mentioned it to just blew it off as a pregnancy thing. Or, like, if I say food looks/sounds good, it's a CRAVING! Uh, maybe it's just time for dinner? As if I'm no longer a person, just an incubator, and literally anything I might be feeling or experiencing is because of pregnancy. I'm still ME, dammit.

Anything that makes assumptions about me or how my future is going to be is unwelcome. But I like comparing pregnancy notes and talking about what our plans are (for the birth, child care, etc.). Surprisingly, I haven't gotten many negative comments about stuff like seeing a midwife or cloth diapering. I know a lot of people get poo poo about that type of stuff.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Hm. I know some newborn-sized cloth diaper covers have a "scoop" for the umbilical cord, but I have no idea which brands aside from Thirsties (the x-small size). Is there maybe a way to fold down and fasten the front so it's clear of the healing cord stump?

I'm pregnant with my first baby and want to use cloth from the get-go, but am in the same boat of needing to resolve the issue of the cord stump. I'm registered for a 6-pack of Real Nappies newborn-sized covers, but looking at them now, they don't have a scoop or cutout for the cord. Which seems stupid; you'd think all newborn sized covers would accommodate it.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

I used the belly band with maternity jeans for a while. And then one day I woke up and put them on and the panel fit perfectly due to a belly growth spurt. I think I got lucky with the jeans I have, because the butt and hips fit well enough that I don't get saggage. Or it might be because I'm normally pear-shaped and have a very curvy rear end and hips. (Now I'm pear-that-swallowed-a-pumpkin-shaped.)

My favorite thing about maternity pants is trying some on that are too big, and getting horrifying pleated camel toe in the front!

My belly button is an almost-outie at 29 weeks and 5 days. It's pretty awesome and gross. I can push it out by tightening my "ab muscles."

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Doom Catcher posted:

How many of you were NOT able to determine gender?

My kid was flaunting his baby-junk all over the place in such an obvious manner that the tech was worried we WOULDN'T want to know. We did, though, so it was all good.

My aunt called and asked what we wanted for the shower, and I think she's going to get us some of the cloth diapering supplies. :) That will be really nice.

Also... I can't believe I have only 10 weeks to go now. :aaaaa: Unfortunately, I've found it true that it's not that fun anymore once you hit the third trimester. I'm at the point where I can't wait to have "me" back. Or at least drink a beer and sleep on my stomach. And obviously I'm looking forward to meeting my little dude.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Re: DIY induction - do NOT drink castor oil. I just got back from a nice lunch meeting with my doula, who said she worked with someone who tried that, desperate to induce labor. And all that happened was a horrific 2-day bout of diarrhea. :gonk:

edit: Anyone else dealing with waaaaayyy too many baby clothes? My husband came home from work with two crammed-full bags from a coworker, and I have at least 3 other people giving us clothes. Obviously I'm extremely grateful - we won't have to buy any! But it's probably way too much for one baby to ever wear. Should I just go through it all and pull out the stuff I like most, keeping the rest as backup?

First batch of baby clothes (this is half my couch):

Hello I am a baby and I enjoy Canada:

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 25, 2011

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Haha. I just wish more of the clothes were awesome instead of powder blue and covered in lame trucks and doggies. Like, I'm down with an easy-to-change zip-front onesie, but can it please have robots on it and not footballs? That's always the trouble with hand-me-downs and gifts, though.

Thanks for the reference to the cloth diapering guide; checked that out again. I feel like I've registered for way too much stuff (prefolds and small covers for when he's a newborn, then one-size diapers like Flips, Sunbabies and various fun-patterened ones of different brands for when he's bigger). But I bet nobody will get any of it since it's all on Amazon and internet shopping requires advance planning.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

My husband will only be able to take 2 weeks of vacation time off, but hopefully that'll help.

Blood - I only had to have it drawn three times. At the first appointment, for quad screening and for gestational diabetes testing. I don't do well with needles, either, so I was glad not to have to deal with them any more than that.

Haha, stfuparents. I could probably contribute enough stories for a whole site from just one Facebook friend. She does every possible annoying parent thing, including:

- Posting literally nothing except child-related things.
- Role-play posting AS HER KID. Like a picture with the comment "Look how big I'm getting!" Or "I love ice cream, it's yummy!" Or "Mommy found me up here after my nap!"
- Potty use updates.
- Constant belly photos of her current pregnancy.
- Early ultrasound pics. Congratulations on your kidney bean with arms.

I also hate it when peoples' profile pic is a picture of their kid, and I have several friends who do this. Like... cool, you had a baby, aren't you a person anymore? And no, I don't think I'll feel differently after having mine!

On that note, if one more person tell me I'm going to be "screaming for that epidural," they're not my friend anymore.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Randomity posted:

Yeah I remember complaining about folks on Facebook who only posted about their kids. And then I had a kid, and I have pretty much no life outside of my kid, so I have nothing to post about except for my kid.

:ohdear: I worry about this happening after having a kid, and I think that's why it bothers me so much. I can totally see posting pics if they're funny or cute, just not... every single day. And hopefully accompanied by something a little wittier than "look at me, I'm so big now! I wuv my mommy!"

The profile pic thing confuses me because you are not your kid, you are you. (Aren't you?) It's especially weird when people post "OMG, got so wasted last night, LOL" and it's a picture of, like, a 2-year-old.

I feel the same way about people who relentlessly post cutesy poo poo about their significant other. And people who have joint Facebook accounts. Hello, our name is JillAndJoe Smith. It's our birthday today! I just can't imagine being that wrapped up in somebody else's identity when I have a perfectly good one of my own.

Sorry for the derail. Here's a pic of the awesome baby shoes I found at Ross for 3 bucks:

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

.One weird thing I've noticed though, no one else can shut up about me being pregnant and attributing EVERYTHING to me being knocked up. For example, my neck has been really stiff and sore the past few days. I am almost 100% certain this is due to sitting on my couch at a weird angle while I marathoned a TV show. I posted on Facebook how it hurts and the first comment is "That would be your hormones, my dear."

Yes! Yes! This! I was talking to my mother-in-law yesterday about how my car wouldn't start again. We'd taken it in 2 weeks earlier for the same thing and it was supposed to have been fixed. Obviously it was annoying to get stranded and have to wait 2 hours for a ride, then possibly deal with more car repair bills. She said to me, "I can tell you're close to your due date. You have that 'edge' in your voice!" :haw: What the gently caress? Um, no; I have an "edge" to my voice because I am in the middle of a conversation about my broken-rear end car. Should I sound... happier?

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

MoCookies posted:

Just hit 3rd trimester, too. That cervix punching and kicking is awful. Have you tried the inversions and whatnot from spinningbabies.com yet? Thankfully, I've found it gets my little dude to move elsewhere at least half of the time.

I'm almost 32 weeks right now, so maybe just slightly ahead of you guys, and up until a few days ago, I was dealing with a ton of cervix kicking/punching. It was like he was trying to kick his way out already. I think he may have turned himself at this point because now he's kicking elsewhere... but it's even more painful! Like oof, right in the middle/front of my gut. And his little baby limbs are all pointy, so it's really uncomfortable. I can't decide if I'd rather go back to the cuntpunching, though.

I haven't had any contractions yet, BH or otherwise. I'm wondering when that will start happening, but I know it's completely different for everyone.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

They'll get over it, and of course they'll remember her name. Well, if they're even semi-sane they will. I guess just give them time. They'll get used to it and may even come to like the name (which is, in fact, lovely).

Unfortunately, this lack of support is devastating and is why a lot of people don't divulge the name until after the baby is born. It sucks that people can be such dipshits about names, especially if you're specifically not asking their opinion.

I have some great news - the lovely placenta I made is clear of the cervix! I don't think I ever mentioned it here, but my 20-week ultrasound showed that I had a low-lying placenta. It sounds scary when you read about it, but I never had any bleeding and my midwife never expressed any real concern since in most cases, this ends up resolving itself (as the baby grows, the uterus expands and the placenta moves along with it, kind of like blowing up a balloon). But it was an unknown factor for a while and it's a relief that it's no longer an issue. Also the baby has flipped and is now head-down. We are clear for landing. 7 weeks 2 days until the estimated due date. (holyfuckingshit)

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

FWIW, I had very strong about-to-get-my-period-like symptoms for about two weeks, starting from when they would normally begin if my period was due. (Specifically, I had cramps and breast tenderness.) Hopefully that's all it is and you'll be okay; this sounds a lot like what what I felt in early pregnancy. I kept getting paranoid that my period was about to start, and had to keep reminding myself that I was pregnant!

Hopefully some of the crappier symptoms will let up soon. I almost feel bad for saying this since I know a lot of people have a really hard first trimester, but after those first couple of weeks, I got really lucky and only had exhaustion and a little wooziness.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

I'm not speaking from experience, just what I've heard, but drying time/practicality depends on what system you use. All-in-ones take forever to try, pocket diapers don't take as long and seem to be what most people prefer. If you're doing flats/prefolds plus covers, the PUL covers air-dry in no time, and the inserts dry like regular cotton clothing.

I have cloth diapers on the brain big-time right now because I need to figure out what else I have to buy. Despite most of my friends/family being unfamiliar with modern cloth diapering, I got some things at my shower, which really helps. I'm now the proud owner of 5 one-size pocket diapers, 2 Flips, 36 regular-size cotton prefolds, 3 Snappis and flushable liners for catching poop. I think we'll just need to add some PUL covers and doublers to have a decent little stash. My mother-in-law also got us 12 flats, some old-school plastic pants, and pins! :haw: (Whatever, I'll learn to use them, too.)

Belly/bloatingness - happened for me right away. I never get lucky with that kind of poo poo. I got VERY uncomfortable quickly, and was in maternity pants + belly band at like 11 weeks. By 16-17 weeks I had a cute baby bump. Now, at 34 weeks, people stare at me in alarm because I'm so loving ridiculously huge that it looks like I'm going to squat down and start pushing at any second. :( I can't even imagine how I'm going to walk if I get much bigger.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

limegrnxj posted:

Everyone says don't buy til the baby arrives, but I'm sooo tempted.

Edit: and just like that, the Costco website says they are now out of the boy starter pack.

Ugh, sucks that they ran out of what you need. The exact same thing happened to me - I had put Sunbaby diapers on my Amazon registry. Then about a week before the shower (which was Saturday), they stopped taking orders because they got too backed up. A friend even told me at the shower that she'd intended to get them for us, but then they weren't available anymore. Now I have no idea when they'll be back in business. :( I was really counting on them, too.

Re: "don't buy until the baby arrives," I don't know; wouldn't it be a good idea to get some cloth diapers in advance so you can practice with them and prep them? Again, this is my first kid, so I don't know if this is wise or not.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Hey, I'm a cloth diaper freak right now! Getting everything together for our little dude, due October 30th. Our awesome friends/family/coworkers threw us two very nice baby showers, and now I'm inventorying and figuring out what else we need.

We're going with adjustable/one-size pocket diapers, in the hope that it'll be cost-effective since they should fit all the way into potty training. I put some BumGenius and Flips on my registry, and some of them arrived today! They seem super nice and soft. I also have a Happy Heinies; again, very soft. Pocket diapers seem to be all the rage right now. Convenient and easy to use, many are adjustable/one-size-fits-all, the absorbency can be customized by sticking different insert in the pocket, and they dry pretty fast. SunBaby diapers are really inexpensive pocket diapers and people seem to like them. I actually just placed my order for 12 of them today. :)

I REALLY like the idea of Flip diapers, and was going to go with those for the majority of the stash, but the Sunbaby ones won out due to cost. I'm still going to get more Flips, though. The covers can be reused, for one thing, and you can get disposable inserts for them for travel or the convenience of other people watching your kid.

The one-size diapers apparently don't really fit babies that well until they're like 10+ pounds (depending on the baby), so a lot of people use prefolds with covers until then. This is pretty inexpensive and the prefolds have lots of uses (burp cloths, dust cloths, inserts/doublers in pocket diapers). Chinese or Indian prefold diapers are supposed to be great; I have 12 OsoCozy Indian ones that are nice and thick. I also have 24 Babies R Us brand prefolds; they're flimsy by comparison but will hopefully still be usable. I don't know a lot about covers; Thirsties and Bummis are popular. We're going to try the Kushies covers available at Babies R Us since we have store credit there. If they suck, we'll go with Thirsties.

Hope that helps, or at least doesn't increase confusion. I'm still working out everything we need. In addition to the diapers themselves, I still need laundry bags, wet bags, cloth wipes and stuff to make wipe solution.

Here are some resources I've used to try to figure all this out:

How many cloth diapers do I need?

Cloth diaper detergent chart

Prepping cloth diapers for use

Cloth Diapering 101 (a series of Youtube vids that go through the different diaper options)

I registered for cloth diapers at Babies R Us and Amazon, and some people actually got them for us (despite not really understanding). :) I also have a mother-in-law and an aunt who cloth diapered the old-fashioned way, so they're fascinated by all the new options.

Edit:

vanessa posted:

I'd been leaning toward FuzziBunz or another AIO, but that was mostly for convenience and I read that AIOs can have shorter lives because the waterproof layer is attached to the absorbent layer. Do prefolds plus covers have a longer life? Is there a major difference between fitted diapers that need covers and AIOs? I know I probably don't want pocket diapers because I don't want to deal with stuffing a pocket, so at least that part was easy for me.
From my reading, all-in-ones take forever to dry (you may have to put them through two or more dry cycles) and tend to be bulky. They also seem expensive, although I guess they're really about the same price as pockets.

Prefolds and covers are supposed to have a nice long life if you line dry the covers (they shouldn't take long to dry). Another factor I've heard about when it comes to long-lasting-ness is Velcro versus snap fastenings. The Velcro might lose its stickiness over time, while the snaps should stay solid unless you rip the fabric or something.

Maybe check out Flip diapers? They seem like the bomb from everything I've read. Again, I went with the cheaper Sunbaby pockets for most of my "stash" (haha, I have a stash), but will be getting more Flips. I have two Flip covers line drying at this very moment!

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 23, 2011

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

So, what is the absolutely cheapest option for newborn/small sized covers to be used for prefolds? $13 + shipping for a Thirsties Duo Wrap seems like a lot when it's just going to be for a short time until he fits into one-size diapers.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

I was a maid of honor at 32 weeks! Fortunately we were allowed to wear whatever black dress we wanted, and whatever shoes we wanted. I was perfectly fine and felt pretty cute in my outfit. I even danced a bunch at the reception (in between pee breaks and bites of cake).

"Maternity-appropriate" bridesmaid dresses at David's

But I ended up finding a non-maternity maxi dress that I can wear throughout and after pregnancy. If you choose something in a stretchy jersey material, which you probably should, I highly recommend wearing one of these jawns underneath. (They come in handy for under regular dresses, too.) If you can, I also recommend trying to find a dress you can wear with a normal bra.

Spending a lot of money on formalwear while pregnant is pretty much the biggest waste of money EVER, especially since it often includes special underwear, alterations and shoes. You have more important financial concerns when there's a baby on the way, so do what you can to get things you really can wear again. Only the most bridezilla of brides would insist on a yellow satin mermaid dress and 4" heels when you're 8 months pregnant.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

OMG. You guys.

The thing from Motherhood is not Spanx, it's just a gentle smoother to help out the thigh and butt area. No need to be so horrified; I promise it's not uncomfortable or restrictive or tight in the belly. It reminds me of the panel in maternity pants, only in shorts form.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Yeah, the official pregnancy Spanx look pretty awful. Once again, I promise that the Motherhood thing is comfy, and helped me look much better in the dress I wore at the wedding.

hepscat posted:

You've got months and months to decide on a dress, I'd wait as long as possible to see what your pregnant belly looks like before putting any money down.

Big 'ol WORD to this. The dress I ended up wearing was the third one I bought, and I got it around 3 weeks before the wedding. It wasn't from a bridal shop, though. It seems really hosed up and unfair that bridal shops force pregnant women to buy their dresses months in advance, when it's impossible to tell how (or IF) they'll fit by the time the wedding rolls around.

limegrnxj posted:

Just wanted to rejoice that I found 10 used AIO cloth diapers for $25 today! They're in good shape too! I brought them home and diapered all the stuffed animals in the house. DIAPER ALL THE THINGS!

Jealous! I keep looking on craigslist but haven't found anything in my area.

But check it out, I knitted a thing for a baby butt:

It's a wool diaper cover/soaker, for going over prefolds! Wool is supposed to be awesome for covers, and I have a bunch of wool yarn lying around, so what the hell. I just need to wash it in some lanolin soap so it repels water. Baby butts, hooray!

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

My insurance covered genetic screening. It seems like a pretty standard thing that most docs recommend, regardless of whether or not there's any specific risk.

Any suggestions on a good baby instruction manual? I have all these great books about pregnancy and birth, but nothing on actually, you know, taking care of the kid once he's here. I do have The Happiest Baby on the Block, which is great.

Speaking of happy, I had an ultrasound today to confirm that the baby is head-down, and he totally is. I also got a current weight estimate of 6 pounds 11 ounces, which I think is great for 36 weeks, 3 days! Good job, baby. Now I just need my iron levels to be normal (I've been taking supplements and will be re-tested on Thursday), and I'll be good to go for delivering at the birth center. Kind of hard to believe it's coming up so fast.

Edit: Jesus Christ, that GBS+ story above is absolutely horrifying. I'm being tested for it at my appointment on Thursday.

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 5, 2011

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Mine was breech until around 33 weeks; I wouldn't worry yet! Check out spinningbabies.com for some good information on ways to help them turn.

And yeah, getting your innards pummeled is not necessarily the most wonderful feeling in the world. Don't feel guilty. I was in a lot of pain last night while my kid spazzed out for like 2 hours.

Re: cervical dilation before you go into labor - ignore it! It means nothing! You can totally go from zero to baby in a few hours, or you can walk around at 4cm for weeks. Many doctors and midwives don't even perform internal examinations, and there's definitely no way to predict labor based on dilation.

And if it's prior to 42 weeks of gestation and there's no medical reason to be induced, you can just refuse to schedule it. I'm unable to find numbers right now, but the vast majority of women will go into labor naturally by week 42.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

I'm totally down with getting this show on the road, too! Finally hit 37 weeks, so it's just waiting time now. I felt a little silly packing my birthin' bag today, but figured it should probably be done.

Trying really hard to ignore the due date and just assume that I'll stay pregnant all the way up until 42 weeks. But I can't help overanalyzing twinges/pains in the abdominal vicinity and waiting for my water to break every time I stand up. :)

So, postpartum belly binders. Worth it? Waste of money? Good for looking somewhat normal in clothes again, at least?

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Why not take some right-away pictures, then freshen up and take some more if you want (like with family or whatever)?

I won't be putting makeup on before the birth, that seems... impractical. I wouldn't put on makeup for any physically intense activity I expected to be engaged in for 12 straight hours. No makeup looks better than raccoon eyes.

Is anyone else keeping the actual birth private? I think I'd lose my mind if there were a bunch of people there watching as I deliver my kid, and can't imagine why anyone would want that. That's one of the reasons I chose a birth center over a hospital, though (I'm lucky enough to have that choice). People say you end up not caring, but I dont know about that. I think I'll have an easier time if I feel "safe" and have some privacy in a more comfortable setting.

eta - I have abysmally bad vision, too, but have noticed no changes in it during pregnancy.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

I'll just have my husband, midwife and doula there, plus whatever assistant the midwife has. I wasn't going to have a doula, but a friend is on her way to becoming a midwife herself, and offered to do it for free. :) I just have no interest whatsoever in any other family members being there. Thankfully, nobody's giving us a hard time about that. I don't want people hanging out in the waiting room, either.

Ugh, sitting in the waiting room at the midwife's office and getting BH contractions like mad. Ow. Baby movement is pretty painful at this point, too.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Baby boy here, too, tons of gifted/secondhand stuff here, too. I'm really glad we didn't have to buy a lot of stuff ourselves. But I certainly understand the frustration with getting a ton of things that aren't your style, and not getting to pick anything for your own kid. Don't be afraid to donate or toss things that you hate or aren't in good condition. I got pretty pissed when I was going through clothes people had given us and finding a lot of things that were already stained! I'm not destitute and don't need that kind of charity - my kid should be able to ruin stuff with sweet potato vomit himself.

If you register and have a shower, people will hopefully get things from it that you chose. We got all the nursery bedding and decor I picked out, so his room will at least be cool. And I did buy a coming-home outfit that I really like.

Baby clothes are 95% ugly no matter what gender your baby is. If it's not loving Sports All Over the drat Place, it's Pretty Pretty Disney Princess Time. Plaid, stripes or solids will suffice just fine. Dinosaurs are fine; I can also deal with guitars, rockets/space, skulls and robots. I don't get why everything for babies has to be either white, light pink or pastel blue, though. They're just going to poo poo and puke all over everything, so I want darker colors that won't show the stains. And why must they all SAY something? "Mommy's #1 Handsome Little Man!" "Daddy's Tough Guy!" :haw:

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Haha, I got a Jack-O-Lantern bib and my due date is 10/30. Not nearly as bad as the Christmas dress for a post-Christmas due date, but I still probably won't be able to use it.

I'm obviously exaggerating about the tacky baby clothes; there are some things out there that are plain and cute and don't cost a fortune. But it would be nice to find a guitar-print onesie that doesn't say "Mama's Cute 'Lil Rock and Roll Stud" or whatever bullshit they insist on putting on there. Babies don't need clothing announcing that they are cute. We already know. (They especially don't need clothing stating that they are sports heroes or princesses or future firefighters, for that matter. THEY ARE BABIES.)

I'm so glad I get to bypass the winter coat issue. I don't envy you guys; a quick search shows that there really isn't much out there. Ebay, Target, Motherhood Maternity? Or I guess you could always just get a $100 coat and mentally break it down to cost-per-wear - if you wear it every day for 3 months, it might be worth the money.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

A friend just posted a pic of his baby boy wearing a RUN-DMC onesie, denim overalls with one strap down and a red knit beanie hat. Now I definitely need to get something more stylish than hand-me-down baby gowns with doggies on them.

MoCookies posted:

Anybody else planning on baby wearing? So far I've got two woven wraps and a mei tai.

I do! And have a ton of baby carriers. I think I have 2 Mobys, 4 slings, an Ergo, a Bjorn and a ring sling. These were all gifts or hand-me-downs (I did register for the Bjorn). I don't know where or how I'm going to use all these things. Another example of being overloaded with stuff I didn't pick out, but hopefully a lot of it will be useful. I like some of the styles, too.

Late Pregnancy Symptom Nobody Told Me About of the Day: lightning crotch. Sudden, momentary sharp pain in your junk that feels like an electric shock, probably a result of the baby's head being very low down and banging against nerves. Occurs when standing up, shifting position, walking or randomly during baby movement. (Also, I guess I didn't fully realize that I really would have to pee every 30 minutes after the baby dropped.)

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Pregnancy hasn't been that bad for me. I'm lucky and it's been pretty easy, but I also look at all the aches and pains and annoying stuff as "well, that's just being pregnant." Whenever I hear heavy complaining, I always wonder if the person is really going through something much worse, or if it's just a different reaction to the same stuff I have. I wouldn't say I LOVE being pregnant, but I definitely don't hate it. It's gotten a lot rougher since reaching full-term, though. In addition to more pain/discomfort, there's the added stress of waiting for signs of labor and feeling like a ticking time bomb. (And my baaaaaack really huuuuuuurts, wah.)

I didn't have strong feelings either way about boy vs. girl, whereas my husband decided it was a boy immediately (and was right). I've seen a lot of polls on this subject and it seems to be evenly split - 50% are right, 50% are wrong..

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

So here I am in the middle of a freak October snowstorm, with no power, one day before my due date. No heat. The roads are completely covered and lovely, and a transformer straight-up exploded outside my house. Nobody's out there fixing it, so who knows when it will be back on?

Unassisted, frontier-style homebirth, anyone? At least we could boil water since the gas is still on, and our neighbor across the street is a nurse...

Edit: congratulations, Lyz!

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 29, 2011

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Congrats, MoCookies! Look at those wide-open eyes!

I wanted to report that I also had my little dude, on November 9th! The great news is that he is very strong and healthy and awesome. Unfortunately, I had a very rough labor and delivery which did not work out anything like I'd planned. This involved:

- Hospital birth instead of birth center (went in for non-stress tests at 41 weeks + 1 day and amniotic fluid was was low)
- Induction instead of natural
- 24 hours of Cervadil
- 7 hours of Pitocin, but no cervical change
- Waters broken by my midwife
- Being hooked up to an IV, contraction monitor and fetal heart monitor the entire time I labored
- 9 hours of crazy Pitocin-fueled superlabor, then 45 minutes of pushing
- Episiotomy
- Hemorrhaging and bleeding out
- Suffered a rare complication during childbirth and separated my pelvic ring
- 5 days total of hospital stay (9am Monday the 7th - 8pm Friday the 11th)
- Unable to stand or walk for several days, gradually progressing from bedridden to wheelchair to using a walker, which I was finally able to do at 6 days postpartum and am still using now. Full recovery time was quoted at 3 months but upgraded to 1 month a few days ago after a doc visit
- Baby wasn't gaining weight, probably because of low milk production due to my pain and physical condition, and the fact that he's big and just needed more. Had to supplement with a little formula and now he's doing fine
- Breastfeeding extremely painful, nipples sore and cracked probably due to bad latching. Have been pumping milk while they heal. Lactation appointment tomorrow

BUT HEY, healthy baby, amirite? LOL. Despite the induction, I still had no pain meds or epidural, and all my postpartum requests were followed to the letter.

I just can't wait to be able to carry him around. :( It sucks to awkwardly care for him from the couch, although I'm more mobile every day, the pain is subsiding and I have come up with a lot of creative solutions. He's really cute, wonderfully calm and seems very smart (sorry, I'm not allowed to post pics). November 9th, 2011, 6:39AM, 9 pounds 11 ounces, 22 inches in length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

I wanted to be up and about as soon as possible after birth, too. :( That was one of my main reasons for not wanting an epidural, and I stuck to it despite the induction. If not for my injury, that probably would have worked out. The other reason was so that the baby wouldn't be "drugged up," and that DID work out. He was extremely alert and awesome immediately after birth. I planned for a natural approach at the birth center because I wanted to avoid the entire hospital experience in general. And I wanted to avoid the "intervention spiral" that often takes place in standard hospital settings and can lead to a c-section.

All things considered, I wonder I might have been better off with a C after all. The healing time would have been similar in length, but I probably at least would have been more mobile. Nobody could have predicted what happened to me, though. And I can't really decide if my decision to go pain med-free despite the induction was a good one or not. It really was extremely painful and intense. I guess all I can do is hope the next one goes naturally, with no induction. I did get a sense of what normal labor might feel like at one point - I had changed position, and somehow the IV got cut off. The contractions were still intense, but much easier to handle. That went on for maybe two hours before they realized what had happened and hooked the damned Pitocin back up, then it got crazy again. But yeah, if that WAS natural labor, it was much, much more doable than the Pitocin kind, and I feel I'd be able to handle it with no drugs again.