Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I'm knocked up. At least that's what the stick I had a wee on says. I have no idea how far along, because I have never, ever, in my life had a normal period. I have maybe four or five a year. I am constantly on the verge of throwing up, which is how I twigged I might be pregnant.

I am completely ambivalent about this.

I'm in a foreign country (actually, a foreign-foreign country, as I'm an American who has recently gotten UK leave to remain who is now in France for the next year plus)where my command of the language isn't great. I think I've found an OBGYN who speaks ok English, but I have to go through their office staff, too, who don't speak it.

My husband won't actually discuss anything with me, aside from telling me I should take more language lessons so I'm fluent by the time I'm delivering. All I can get out of him is that he's pretty set that I'm not going home for this. So I get to deliver my kid at a hospital that ran human experiments in WWII and where I don't speak the language. At least my mother-in-law might come over to my side. When I'm allowed to tell her.

And here we were planning to go Interailing this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Where are your inlaws based? Could you go back to the UK for the birth? Not that that would be ideal either I can imagine but at least it's closer than the US, you can get there without flying and the language barrier won't be there.

Hope everything works out okay, it can be a shock to the system even when you plan it.

Yeah, I would prefer to go back to the UK for it, if it's going to happen. Has anyone else had trouble convincing a partner that early on is really the time to talk about this poo poo?

I mean, am I freaking out for legitimate reasons?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Sockmuppet posted:

As for the WWII-hospital, I'm pretty sure they've replaced the staff since then, so regardless of where you end up giving birth, I don't think evil Nazi doctors will be a problem :)

It's just a creepy place, which adds to the misery at the moment.

I'm not actually sure I want to be pregnant yet. I think his feedback will help on that. If he is holding out in a 'don't want to get my hopes up' way, I can deal with that. But this is a man who waited until they were nearly ready to deport me to marry me so I can't tell.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Well, hell of a week and a half or so.

I told husband rather emphatically that we didn't have to stay pregnant and he revealed that he's been picking out names. So I feel better on that count. We are still, however, absolutely nowhere on the argument about which country the peanut will be born in. I've ordered a book that purports to teach you the French concerned with pregnancy and childbirth, as well as teaching you exactly how the French do things.

I've also called to try to make a first OBGYN appointment (I have no idea if I'm late on this). It's the only doctor I know of who speaks some English- you're actually not allowed to post a doctor's details online/advertise or discriminate based on whether or not the doctor speaks another language. So you have to find someone who knows someone who knows someone. So my friend at the Council of Europe gave me the name of hers- who is on holiday this week and is so jam-packed that she may or may not be able to see me when she gets back.

Her secretary, of course, only speaks French. At least I can do 'appointment' stuff in French. But it's pretty awkward going through the 'when was your last period' and explaining you have no idea because you're so irregular. To which she responds 'So, you're not really sure you're pregnant then?'. And even after I explained I had several home tests come back positive she didn't sound convinced...

This is either going to be great or terrible.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
So I've had the first scan. The gynecologist speaks better English than most English people and is easily the best I've ever had. She squeezed me in after hours, since she had nothing until late March and got me pap-smeared and scanned.

There was a tiny little heartbeat and I nearly cried right there. I think I'm in love, even though I want to puke all the time.

She figures we conceived on the 5th of January and then said 'is that okay'? Like I was going to have to check my diary or something. Viva la France.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
So, I was worried about gestational diabetes, being that I've got the regular kind on both side of the family. Nope, no problem there. What I am is vitamin D deficient. Despite my prenatal multi-vitamin that tears up my stomach something wicked.

Anyone else have to deal with this? I used to live in Scotland, but I've been out a year and get some sun now. And, as I said, I've been taking the multi-vitamin. I eat plenty of eggs, but fish is a bit tricky here- especially things like tuna (which they're always wanting you to avoid eating a lot of).

I have an OBGYN appointment tomorrow, but I'm a little freaked that it's a full on deficiency rather than an insufficiency.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Bubble Babble posted:

On a more serious note, for the person who was vitamin D deficient... You should be able to pick up supplements anywhere. I take (in addition to the 1000 IU in my prenatals) 4000 IU of D3 separately. Having sufficient vitamin D in the mother's blood when the baby is in utero has been shown to decrease the risk of autism in children. And D3 pills are tiny and not horrible to take, which is an extra bonus.

Oh, that's too easy for France. They give you some mega-huge glass ampoule of D3 oil to be taken once every 15 days. Which your husband will try to show that he's capable of handling for you, so you don't cut yourself. I'm still cleaning up the glass. And I have to try to explain at the pharmacy that he's a doofus and broke the first one and beg for another without a prescription (you need scripts for real vitamins here).

Doctor didn't like my thyroxine levels (in range, but high) or my sugar (also in range, but higher than she likes)so it was back for another blood panel. Twice in two weeks, good times. But on a happier note, I had my 12 week scan and NT and it looked good. So we told people. And my family is thrilled. His 'took it well' according to him.

Much luck and stamina to the people fighting their own families for the sake of baby's health. I'm really lucky on that count.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

bee posted:

Hi everyone. I'm currently at the 5 week mark and I already feel like my hormones are going absolutely berserk. I seem to be rapidly switching between fits of rage and feeling teary, and I get frustrated ridiculously easy at the moment. Is this something that may stabilise or get worse as things progress?

I am feeling sorry for my partner, despite him telling me that he thinks it's amusing and that he isn't offended.

Yeah, this part gets better. 5-8 were a teary mess. I'm 13 now and it's much better.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Anyone ever have to change doctors? I've now been told that if my doctor doesn't work 'with' a particular hospital, I won't be able to continue with her. I definitely don't have the cash to go to a private clinic to follow the doc.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Congrats! Good to hear you're both safe and sound.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

His Divine Shadow posted:

So my gf found out she was pregnant a few weeks ago, last she went to an ultrasound and found out she's 11 weeks along and it's twins. Anything in particular we should consider? :ohdear:

Yes. Sit in the corner and have a good think about what you've done.

And how the hell you'll afford college for both of them.

Seriously, though, congrats. I have no practical advice v:shobon:v

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thanks and we're not worried about that. Education in Finland is free, and the government gives you loads of help and money for having kids.

Yeah, they do here in France, too. They sent me a nice little booklet when I registered the pregnancy with the Assurance Maladie and the Family Allocations office- have you got to register the pregnancy with the government? They've got special provisions/guidelines in the French booklet for people having twins+, including all the extras you're entitled to.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I appear to be on the Gestational Diabetes boat. What fun. Any advice there? I've got the glucose tolerance test coming up in a couple weeks, but according to my lady, I'm 'a little bit diabetic'.

We were also supposed to find out what it was yesterday, but no dice. Gynecologist said 'you weren't expecting to know, were you? Because I have no idea'. I love her, but she's weird.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Killer_Frost posted:

Thanks Bee. I've gotten good sleep the last couple nights and we don't hate each other for "getting stuck with the baby."

Weird doctor story.
There are brothers in my gyns practice. I had to see them both in case they delivered my wee one. The first brother I saw when my GD results came back. He comes into the room and says, "your sugar numbers were great. Awesome!" *puts arm out for a fist bump* I looked at him for what felt like a minute before I processed what it was he wanted. I'm 30, if I'm too old for a fist bump "bro" then you definitely are. Lol

I hope your numbers end up being geed when you get your test back, but a friend was GD. She basically ate low-carb and did great. You can get yummy bread and pasta that are both low carb, I know when I was eating low carb I never felt like I was depriving myself. Dreamfields pasta and healthy life bread... Both are awesome. Fingers crossed you don't have to worry about it.

I think I'd probably have an easier time low-carbing in the US- they don't even really do low-fat here (Can I tell you how much I miss skim milk? Rag on it all you must, but drat. Also, the French dietetic stuff is called 'Gaylord'. Really.). I doubt I'll see good numbers, as my fasting bloodsugar is right at the limit (1 g/l). She's telling me to avoid a lot of fruit and eat more dairy/crackers, but that doesn't seem to jibe with the glycemic index stuff I've been reading in English.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

hepscat posted:

Things to avoid: "white" carbs ((white bread, white potatoes, white bread, regular pasta); fast sugars (juice, sodas, honey); and anything obviously sweet (pastries, ice cream).

Good in moderation: whole grains, brown rice, whole-grain pasta.

Eat plenty: proteins (meats, cheese except unpasteurized, eggs); high-fiber foods (beans); fats - seriously, they won't affect your blood sugars! avocado, nuts, oils & butter.

Go hog wild: vegetables.

Fruits are tricky. They're not completely off the table, you just need to keep it to small amounts at a time and the higher the fiber, the better, like apples.

Also, everyone tends to have high blood sugar in the morning so breakfast should be as few carbs as possible.
It sounds pretty mild which is good. You should be able to take care of it pretty easily.

Cheers on the advice- she was sounding a little bit mad advising me to have a slice of bread when I was hungry instead of an apple. She's also yelling at my for gaining weight. I've put on like... 5 kilos? 6 maybe? I know I'm already overweight, but I thought I wasn't doing too badly at less that 15lbs for six months, considering I could eat a whole cow by myself.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I come with nothing but questions- how swollen is too swollen for one's feet? My feet are quite puffy, but it's coincided with three days of 95 degree (35C) weather, walking several miles each day and standing around for a few half-hour stretches. My hands are also swollen, enough so that I've taken off my wedding ring.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

bamzilla posted:

How far along are you? I would say walking several miles each day in 95 degree weather is not ideal. Unless this is a one off thing. I wouldn't really make a habit of it. I'd talk to your OB and possibly go in for a checkup if it's alarming to you.

26 weeks. It's not a habitual thing, we just had visitors that had no sense of what I could and couldn't do. The temperature's dropping tonight for the next week, so I'll watch and see. I've sat all day today and I'm still puffy.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Well, low-carbing it (less than 60g a day) has done nothing. My fasting blood sugar was the highest I've tested yet. One hour was bad. Two hours was even higher than one hour. I suppose Doc'll tell me what's what on Tuesday.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

bamzilla posted:

I called my family doctor first, they sent me in to get blood work done to make sure HCG levels were rising properly and then from that point my family doctor gave me a referral to an OB.

My OB actually set me up with an appointment with a dietician and that helped out tremendously. There are tons of fruits out there that have a lot of carbs. Basically there are things you never think about with carbs, but should know about and a dietician will help you in that department (as well as others).

I hope I can get a dietician- but I have actually been trying to track carbs properly, using diabetic association guidelines. I'd really rather not go on insulin, having been pretty careful all my life to avoid that family trap.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
My doc has actively told me to have caffeine to keep my headaches away, since the caffeine/paracetamol combination works really, really well for them and keeps me off stronger things. I think she said any risk with caffeine was primarily in the first trimester relating to early miscarriages.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
No way, can't ruin a baby by loving him.

Can you make your toddler into an insufferable beast? Probably...it would explain some things in my family.

I'd agree that what I've been reading suggests that if a baby starts to know that there's always someone there, it fusses less.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
If it isn't one loving thing, it's another. I've gotten my glucose meter and can pretty happily keep my blood sugar within range. I just can't eat the third of a plate of starch/bread that the dietician wants.

But I did a 24 hour urine collection and I've got more than twice the white blood cells that I should. I have no idea what could be wrong (not a UTI, as far as I know). This poor baby is hosed, isn't it?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

SpazForPickles posted:

(Also, I had GD for the last 3 months of my pregnancy and I ended up having to give myself insulin. If anyone has any questions or whatever, I may have some answers or insight for those of you dealing with it too)

I actually think I've lucked out on the GD- after all the fasting blood sugars of 1,0, 1,05 or so, my morning stick has come back at between 77-83 since I got the monitor. I really just can't eat the amount of bread that they said I could (you can tell it's France, because my diet sheet actually says '1/4 baguette' at breakfast). My following that bit of advice was the only thing that's knocked me over 1.25 post-meal.

I still kind of worry that baby's not getting quite enough, as the heat's killing my appetite and I can't eat a few of the things I really, really want.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Don't worry. It's not *that* bad. I say that as someone who thought it was disgusting, got the shakes, the chills and nearly passed out and/or vomited. I got to lay down in a back room until it was over.

I have got GD, as the numbers actually went up astronomically for the second hour. I started with a fasting sugar of 105 and peaked at something like 250.

Had my followup consult at the hospital yesterday and they've decided I'm doing well enough on the diet that I won't have to take insulin at all. They don't offer metformin here, as they haven't declared it safe enough for preggos. So it was diet or insulin.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Anya posted:

21 weeks in, and it's a boy! Only 8 pounds up so far, which seems like a ton for me - but after spending the first six month of the year grinding it out in the gym and kitchen, any weight gain seems like a mountain. My mind is really messed with because of this. Doc told me I was doing perfectly fine but I just feel paranoid that I'm gaining too much too fast. Apparently it's my punishment for everything going smoothly so far.

If the doctor says you're fine, you're good. I was looking up the numbers and found the numbers and found the breakdown on the NIH website somewhere- all in all, baby-stuff can weigh something like 25lbs all on its own. I mean, you've got baby, your blood volume doubles and that obviously weighs something, the amniotic fluid, extra breast tissue...

In other words, it's not like you've just porked out for no reason. There's a few good ones.

I'm learning to relax and go with the doctor. It's only taken 32 weeks.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I even had some lady tell me "that had better be breastmilk!"

I've decided the correct answer to this is 'White Russian'.

I'm through being an incubator, myself. I'm hot, nauseous and congested. She has found something to kick that hurts. 30 days. Motherfucker.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Soulex posted:

Alright. So I am a military goon. And this pregancy has kicked up a few problems. My wifes due date is near the end of may and beginning of June. This is incidentally when I should be moving stations.

Now. I can be selfish and request early transfer to whatever unit I will be reporting to. Or i can request an extension. I love the country but hate the unit.

Shes leaning towards extension. However since she will be giving birth in a german hospital there will undoubtedly be a few luxuries that she will not have (ie sharing a room).

Go with the happy wife or go with the selection of returning to America and getting A+ care?

You can definitely get your A+ care in Europe. I'm an American, with a British husband, expecting a baby in France. Expecting in the next week, actually. Comparing my care to what other people I know have been getting, I'm thrilled. Some funny language issues, but the care itself has been stellar.

She'll likely get a few more days in hospital to get things sorted out and if the German system is anything like the French one, it's a few extra bucks a day to go from a double room (free) to a private one.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Little girl is now six weeks old. I'm breastfeeding and have had a problem with severe pain on the left side- which cleared up, only to turn into sever pain and now loving bleeding from a deep crack on the right. Breaking her off only makes her clamp down harder the second time.

As far as I can see, the latch is exactly as they showed me how to do it, and I've been smearing myself with Lansinoh. What the hell else do I do?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

jota23 posted:

They didn't give me any further instructions. My blood glucose number was 159 so not crazy high or anything. I just think that if it's high in the first place, then I should at least not fill my plate with known carb killers.

To be honest, I'm not all that worried about tomorrow. I have a plan. I'm worried about what to eat for lunch today!

It'll be cool- I got through mine completely diet-controlled . You'll find out what things do and don't do bad things to your blood sugar pretty quickly. They don't give Metformin here, so the choice was diet or insulin. I may still be diabetic, though, thanks to crappy genes- I get my follow-up in January with another glucose test.

That said, she's pretty awesome. And a great sleeper (for now).

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Have had the cracking and bleeding. In addition to the lanolin and air drying, I switched to disposable pads for a while and briefly used a silicone shield until the cracks closed.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Miranda posted:

I failed my drat 1 HR glucose test goddamnit. Even if I don't have GDM I really need to eat better. What are the recommendations docs give for a GD diet other than the obvious whole grain, fruit, veg, protein. I also get to go see a cardiologist because my heart palpitations have been out of control. Meanwhile pudding is hanging out super drat low in my uterus even the NP was surprised, usually bub is up higher by now. She didn't seem concerned, pudding just has a happy spot.

I had GD almost four years ago now (and get my GTT for this round in December). I even came in here and freaked out about it.

I diet-controlled the whole way and no macrosomia, 10 out of 10 Apgar. No problems whatsoever. Did my finger sticks, basically went 'keto' and exercised.

In terms of diet, the 'not so obvious' was lactose spiking my blood sugar (hard cheese FTW), not being able to eat as much in the way of whole grains as I was initially advised, and making better choices about vegetables. My mother, the nurse, couldn't understand why I could have broccoli in bulk but not peas/corn.

Eating to a schedule really helped, too. I did three set meals, roughly the same time every day. If I smacked all day, I couldn't get the right pre-prandial or post numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
So, uh...medical-ish question?

I'm in the US right now and about 12 + 6 (no dating scan yet, as I'm away on a long-planned trip). I had a go with my grandmother's bp cuff and got a result of something like 170/90. Retested later at about 150/85. I'm usually about 115-120/65-70 and have been for years.

Can I have done this to myself with a some cashews and a few slices of pickle every day? Or is the unending stress killing me (a long, nasty story of people threatening to kill themselves and others)?

Either way, I'm getting a more accurate check tomorrow before I test my travel health insurance.