Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

CommanderApaul posted:

As for my wife's sister, I'm of the opinion that she can go gently caress herself after she flat out told my wife when she miscarried and called her up for some support, "I don't see why you're so upset, you didn't seem all that happy to be pregnant when you told us at Christmas."

Jesus gently caress.

We're starting to get some push on the gender thing from both sides and it's making a very good case against ever sharing any plans with anyone. If people can't be supportive this early on, like hell we're going to share name ideas or any really big decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

We were planning an IKEA run next week in Minneapolis for some crib hunting but from what I can tell they've pulled all of their cribs from the US as of last week or so. Anyone hear anything about this? Know of any other good baby stores in the area?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dr. Octagon posted:

We'd also picked out an Ikea crib, which has since mysteriously disappeared from the website. I emailed them about it, and they said they pulled all the cribs off the shelves to ensure compliance with the new crib safety regulations that were put into place at the end of June. They don't have a timeframe for re-stocking. I think we might just wait it out - the crib we wanted had really good safety ratings before the new guidelines, and we have a co-sleeper we'll be using for the first few months anyway. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Disappointing though... we kind of excessively like to check things out before we buy them and seeing the crib in person is part of that. Maybe we'll find time later in the year to visit again or just suck it up and by online.

On Target, etc. for other options. Sorry, that was my vague sentence construction while phone postin. We were looking for some gently caress off expensive boutique specialty rich baby only store to ogle at while we were in a moderately large city... Comedy answer: Target it is!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fistgrrl posted:

The Ikea mattresses fit weird and I don't think it's possible to order from them online. Albeebaby.com is a great site to get a bargain for cribs (and other high ticket items). Free shipping, no tax, cheaper than most.

Thanks, we'll have to check them out.

We went to Ikea anyway. The cribs are still pulled though the display models were up so we could get a look at them. Turns out they're also in the middle of changing out inventory for the year so half of everything else is sold out too. Awesome.

We ended up going to Peapods in St Paul for our gently caress off expensive store. It's all natural toys and other hippie fun. $800 for a solid maple crib, $90 for a marble track set made out of wood, etc. Fun store to browse though if anyone is in the area.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Whitey Ford posted:

Oh and "eating for two" is not required. A pregnant woman needs to consume an average of 300 calories more per day than her regular diet. That's like a glass of milk.

Another goon-father-to-be here.

It would be easier if it was just a calorie increase. We're used to meal planning and cooking in two equal portions, so it's been challenging to get her protein up to 100g a day while keeping mine less than half that. Frequent high-protein snacks throughout the day help, but for the big meals I know I'm getting way more protein than I used to.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

I like the sound of the Bradley Method class (I am very interested in an intervention-free labor, and since this is my first I am a total n00b who would like lots of instruction), but he is freaked out by the fact that it has (tm) all over it and thinks it sounds kind of snake-oil salesman/late night infomercial.
We're really enjoying our bradley class but it's pretty lax. I didn't realize it had a reputation for being strict... It was the third class before we even pulled out the Bradley workbook. Everything before that was her own material and even with the workbook we're jumping all around. Talk with the person who teaches it and find out if you're comfortable with them.

Biggest piece of advice we've had so far is telling us to politely get a new nurse as soon as they push back against your birthing plan and you'll both be happier. And don't talk about bringing food into labor - just do it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

basx posted:

Going to have my first kid soon, and I keep seeing the cloth diaper thing come up. Can someone explain the benefits of these things? Goons seem to be crazy for cloth, but everyone I've talked to is repulsed by the idea, and they strike me as a huge pain in the rear end.

Repulsed?

There are a couple of reasons why cloth makes sense for some people but the biggest is cost. Up front is more expensive, but overall cloth is far cheaper than disposables unless you're getting them free or something. Second is probably the environment.

There are also diaper services that will pick up your diapers and drop off new ones weekly. They're about $20 a week here in the des moines area and that's still cheaper than disposables.

A lot of people do disposables for the first weeks then switch over when things settle down.

There are also a million different cloth diaper types and systems. I know there used to be a good post on it but I'm not sure if it's archive only at this point. There may be a store in your area that specializes in cloth diapers and they should be able to explain some of the differences, though the number of options can be overwhelming.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dr. Octagon posted:

Also, note the pregnant ladies saying they hate all the attention! People will ask you how you're feeling all the time

Worse, some people will stop asking how you're doing and replace the greeting entirely with "how's the baby doing?" I don't think there's much about this pregnancy that annoys my wife more.

We waited to tell people mostly for the miscarriage risk. We would have been sad if that happened of course, but if everyone knew, we were worried they'd all treat it like a full blown death of a child and that would have made any grieving process loving awful.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Yeah, I still can't believe how people take this important piece of my life and do whatever they want with it. It actually makes me feel pretty alone, and I'm already a loner.

That's probably the best I've ever read it described. Granted I'm going to be the father, but that sentiment seems to perfectly capture the increased attention without any of the actual empathy.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dr. Octagon posted:

We really want to try cloth diapering, and I'm sort of confused/overwhelmed by all of the options out there. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good cloth diapering resource?

There used to be a great compiled guide in these threads about diapering. Does anyone have a link to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sheri posted:

It's in the third post of this thread.

Awesome, thanks. I thought it was archived.