Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Helanna - that ring sling is beautiful!

Yeah the fabric is just lovely. Bought it on etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/babyette) and it was great for the newborn stage. She doesn't appreciate ringslings these days - she's 6.5 months and we get on much better with an emeibaby, which is very similar to the ergo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

What are "normal" babysitting rates these days? We're talking one kid (9 months) just for a couple hours in an evening with a 16-year old babysitter. This is the first time we've had non-family watch her like this, and the last time I was involved in the babysitting market was like 15 years ago.

Varies wildly. It's fairly pricy here; going rates here are €10-15 an hour. Lower end for less difficult jobs (for example when I have a babysitter sit downstairs with the baby monitor while my baby sleeps, and ring me if she wakes up!).

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I had a midwife at the hospital telling me if I swaddled my baby would overheat and die :3: Another midwife told me I had to swaddle or they wouldn't sleep well.

As it turns out though, my baby hated swaddling, so we never did it, and she slept great as a young baby. Now she's older she gets up a lot more at night.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

MoCookies posted:

Things I found I didn't need - a baby monitor, a stroller-carseat travel system, a swing, a bouncer chair, an exersaucer, a bumbo, a breast pump, a baby food maker, a fancy highchair, a crib, a big selection of bottles, nipples, and various baby feeding gear.

This varies from person to person and baby to baby; I used all of those items except a baby food maker and fancy high chair, and found them all great. Maybe went a little over the top on the number of bottles I bought, considering baby is breastfed. If asked to name the top 10 "most have" items for looking after a young baby the swing, exersaucer and bumbo would be very high on my list!

Then again, I would never buy a jogging stroller, or hundreds of dollars of baby carriers :D

Helanna fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 4, 2013

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Totally worth doing the Baby-Led Weaning. We decided to do it, and don't regret it for a moment; she adores her food and happily tucks into whatever I serve for her. She's not yet 7 months old, and this gives an idea of how much she's loving feeding herself.

Shepherd's pie:

Christmas dinner:

Literally we just give her whatever we are having, while avoiding giving her too much salt or sugar. So much easier (and cheaper!) than messing around with purees, and she's loving food so far; no battles trying to shovel a spoon into her!

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Huh. I had only briefly looked at the baby-led weaning stuff a while back, and I had gotten the impression that it meant that you couldn't introduce foods at all until around 1 year, and that anything that wasn't liquid or puree was a choking hazard up until then. I guess I have to look into this some more, because I'd rather do it this way.

Mnemosyne posted:

This is where I'm confused, I have no idea what's big or small enough to be safe. I mean, I guess I want him to be able to get some of it off, otherwise he's not actually eating any of it. Should I only give him stuff that turns to mush, like overcooked carrot or avocado?

We give her almost everything we eat, there's very little that I'm avoiding currently. I don't give whole grapes (being round and easy to suck to the back of throat by accident, it can be a choking hazard. Similarly, apple she tends to gag on a bit. You need to learn the difference between gagging and choking; when doing BLW they do a fair big of gagging in the early days because they have such a strong gag reflex, but it's not inherently a problem. Isobel just gagged a bit and carried right on eating!

Some of the food she's enjoyed so far are toast, pears, any vegetable (steamed/roasted/boiled/whatever, softened a bit to allow chomping with gums, but not so mushy that baby can't grip them well), chicken, ham, cucumber, mushroom (looooooooooves raw mushrooms), mango, pancakes, weetabix, shepherds pie, bananas, cheese (particularly spreadable or goats cheese on toast). Loads of other things that we've eaten she's had as well. But her all time favourite food... STEAK. My baby, the 7 month old fillet steak eater. Though as she lacks teeth she mostly just sucks all the juice out of it gleefully.

I had these books recommended to me and bought both, though honestly the recipe book is the better of the two; it explains BLW and gives lots of examples of foods to try and simple recipes that are baby-friendly (low salt/ no sugar etc):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-Weaning-Helping-Your-Baby/dp/0091923808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357338548&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Baby-led-Weaning-Cookbook-delicious/dp/0091935288/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357338548&sr=8-2

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

With BLW important to remember that gagging = fine and natural, that's just their reflexes and it will lessen over time. Isobel still gags occasionally on some foods (omelette last night for example) but I just watch her closely and make sure that she's okay, and she continues eating. Choking is the bad one, and looks distinctly different - we've only really had one incident of her looking like she was choking, and a firm slap on the back sorted her out. Youtube can help if you want to see the difference!

With regard to Vitamin D, it's recommended for all babies for the first year to have it here (Ireland) because we don't see much sunshine. To be honest, it really ought to be recommended for everyone here, and I intend to keep giving it to my daughter as she grows up. The one we're giving her at the moment is orange flavour, and we call them "sunshine drops" and she gets them just after her bath and before bed - she gets all excited, flapping her arms and opening her mouth to receive them when we start saying "sunshine drops". It's pretty cute, and she obviously doesn't mind the taste.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

I keep meaning to ask my GP if I can take a vitamin D supplement while I'm pregnant (because the bottle says to ask a doctor if you're pregnant or breastfeeding and I'm paranoid) but I always forget to once I get there. This is my first winter in Ireland and I feel like I haven't seen the sun since September.
Where would you get these "sunshine drops" and when do you start giving them to the baby?

I didn't bother taking one when pregnant, I just took a general prenatal vitamin and a few other things (iron, calcium, raspberry leaf). The prenatal probably had Vit D in it!

Irish weather sucks if you like the sun :(

You can get baby Vitamin D drops in most pharmacies here; the one I get is from Boots and is the "Sona" D3. You can get it online too: http://www.sona.ie/infant-d3.html

I got it in Boots though because its €7.99 in there, and they often have their 3 for 2 on vitamins so works out at €15.99 for 12 months supply. We started giving right from birth, as soon as we were home from the hospital. She didn't appreciate it as a newborn but after a while she got used to it being part of her evening routine and now actively enjoys it.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Also remember that no matter how horrendous the birth experience is (and I will always remember mine as being pretty drat awful!) it pales into insignificance once you're holding your baby, and it's totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

My daughter was eating raspberries, whole, at 6 months :) Even if your baby is only used to purees they should be well able for some textures and finger foods by 9 months!

Sweet potato is a good one to use; babies usually like that from what I've seen. Carrot also!