Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Pregnancy travel question! Sorry if this is a well trodden topic, I've only made it through 8 pages of the thread so far and if you know which pages, send me there and I'll read. I'll definitely be going through the thread since I just found out about 4 days ago (and my husband has already blabbed :rolleyes: )

As I said, just found out I'm pregnant and in a month and a half I'm scheduled to take a trip to Dehradun, India and I'll be there for two weeks. I hadn't yet gotten my vaccinations, so other than the usual ones, I don't have the shots for malaria, typhoid, hep c, etc. Add to that my GP telling me that no, don't go to India because Zika exists there. (She didn't actually say it to me, a nurse did supposedly after talking to her, over the phone, with no context what so ever, hadn't even had my blood test.)

Anyone have experience traveling while pregnant? I'll be around 10/11 weeks by then, in a part of the country that doesn't have malaria or the total of 3 cases of zika reported in the country. My husband (who is already there) doesn't seem too worried about it. He's an EMT and a pharm tech so does know a bit about medical related things.

Should I just cancel the trip or wait until I can actually have a conversation with an ob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

peanut posted:

Two weeks in India should be fine, tbh. You're not swamp trekking or working with livestock, right?

Nah. Mostly city activities. I guess we'll see. I've got some time.

Next question. How many of you had similar pregnancy experiences to your own mother's? Is that any sort of indicator I can look toward for how this is going to go? Obviously every pregnancy is different, but my mom had several of them and never seemed bothered by the experience at all. I'm crossing my fingers that I somehow inherited this.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Hi_Bears posted:

7 weeks 5 days with the second baby and had my first ultrasound today. I have a fibroid that has gotten significantly bigger since my last pregnancy (now 7cm). The doctor mentioned some risks of miscarriage, preterm labor, etc. Anyone have experience with fibroids and pregnancy?

Oh hey, just had my first trimester screening and the doctor was all like, you knew you had a fibroid, right?
... What?

Apparently mine is 6cm and I probably have another one too. He can't seem to believe that I didn't know about it what with having had a missed miscarriage not but 5 months ago with all of those previous ultrasounds and assuming I would have had symptoms at least. This being my first baby, I don't have any experience with them, but the doctor assured me that we could make it through the pregnancy, though I wish he had given me a little more information about it.

I'm worried that this disqualifies me from midwife delivery though. So yeah, if anyone else has experience to share, that would be super appreciated!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that both of your pregnancies have been pretty chill with fibroids. It just seems like every time I go to see a doctor there's some new thing to worry about when here I thought I was totally healthy. I have a new respect for pregnant people and I wish us all peace and calm.

I was talking to my mother and she said that with her first kids she didn't have any ultrasounds and in later years she only had one towards the end of the first trimester. There's so much she wouldn't have known without all the fancy tests and things we do now. I wonder if it made it any less stressful.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Oh god, I didn't even know about Tylenol/ADHD linkage. I've only taken some a few times this pregnancy for headaches, but my husband has ADHD, so this basically confirms that my child is going to be a spas. As if I didn't already suspect it when at my ten week scan my midwife was literally surprised at how much the fetus moved. "Oh, you've got a dancing baby!"

And waddup pregnancy cold having friends. This is my second one, despite washing my hands every chance I get and not really being vulnerable to them before. Immune systems are weird.

Had two family reunions this week. Has anyone gone so far as having a t-shirt printed answering all those common questions you get so that you can save your breath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Woo, 40 weeks today. Mostly lurked this whole time since I've had a thankfully boring pregnancy despite the gigantic fibroid.

And while I'm looking forward to getting my body back, losing all this swelling and being able to cast a stand without effort spell, there are a few good things that have come with pregnancy that I'm wondering if anyone knows how to keep going.

First, my periodic acne was non-existent. Second, my chronic back pain that I've had since high school just went away. And third I have had absolutely zero migraines, which I used to get several times a month.

Are all of these hormonally/baby related or is there something I can keep doing that will sustain the relief? As far as I know I haven't done anything differently during pregnancy that I wasn't doing before. Was taking prenatal vitamins months before getting pregnant and doing special back exercises that barely made a difference. I don't even think I've increased my water intake that much.

Anyone experience similar benefits?