Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

I guess I was kind of opposite with the gender. My boyfriend and I were both pretty excited about little boy clothes. When we found out it was going to be a girl, I was disappointed to find everything had hello kitty and butterflies and flowers (dinosaurs and monkeys and superheros are SO much cooler!) Right now we're focusing on a fairly pink-less nursery/baby stuff, a difficult task to undertake - let me tell you!

I live in Chicago and my due date is in late January and I've quickly gone from a size small to a size "small+smuggling basketball." Anybody else having trouble with maternity winter coats? I don't want to spend 100+ for something I'll wear for a month or two, tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

It actually sounds a lot like Bacterial Vaginosis (very similar to a yeast infection except with the added bonus of bleeding). I had one when I was about 15 weeks. Super easy to get rid of. Just a 7 day pill thing.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Any other ladies working a physically taxing job while pregnant? I'm about to enter into my third trimester and I waitress at a fast pace, high volume restaurant in downtown Chicago and it's kicking my butt. I'm finally upgrading to maternity pants but it's almost impossible for me to pull the 14 hour doubles and running around I'm used to. Right now my manager was cool enough to put me on just three days a week, single shifts but It's frustrating to not be able to make as much money as I'm used to.

Any advice? Home remedies? My last shift left me completely wiped with achey back, sore feet, and my baby practicing martial arts all night so I couldn't sleep.

Also, any pregnancy-safe cold remedies? I've been doing vitamin C and lots of sleep. I see my doctor next week and if I'm still sniffly, I'll ask her. It seems like we're not allowed to take ANY medicine. (My pre-pregnancy cold cure was two shots of tequila... which won't quite work anymore)

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Amykinz posted:

I stopped working my job at 32 weeks. I worked construction and installation jobs. I can now barely keep my house clean. I hurt my back cleaning the toilet and had to spend the next day on the couch. I've hung sheetrock and stuff by myself. It's just going to get "harder". I can't spend more than 20 minutes or so on my feet or I start to get light headed, can't bend or lift anything.

The only advice I can give you is find out what you can do to keep up your income. There are no home remedies for the fact your body is exhausted from everything it's doing. See if you can get a doctor to give you short term disability, because you literally cannot keep up 14 hour shifts and expect to wake up the next day able to do it again. I know it sucks, and I feel like I can't do anything by myself anymore, but you're coming in on the home stretch.

That's actually pretty comforting to hear. One of the girls I work with worked until like two weeks before her due date - which I can't even fathom! And I was feeling kind of like a wimp barely able to keep up with it almost 7 months in.

The income isn't really a problem (I saved a lot this summer knowing this was in my future), and my S.O. makes enough money to support both of us - I just don't like feeling dependent! Though I guess he should be helping out more considering I'm busy GROWING A BABY. Hahah

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

I'm in the same boat, though I never really believed the hype about food. For the first couple of months I stayed away because a lot of the negative side affects were possible miscarriages (which you don't have to worry about nearly as much after 3-4 months).

I'm currently 29 weeks and I still eat sushi, runny eggs, whatever cheese I feel like and drink a glass of wine every other weekend. My midwife has been really great and supportive on all accounts. WebMD and the too-common germophobic/hypochondriac American mentality does not make for a stress free pregnancy.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

A lot of the guidelines are based on "better be safe than sorry" and very few studies and experts to back them up. For every research you find saying diet soda will possibly cause three eyes and a tail in your fetus, you'll find ten more saying that's absolutely ridiculous.
It's obviously a very controversial topic, and in the end, everyone should practice whatever makes them most comfortable throughout pregnancy.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

I have a tooth filling that has gotten really, really sensitive out of the blue. I've never had a problem with it, but now anything that I drink hurts when it touches that tooth. Is this one of those weird pregnancy things, or do I need to go see my dentist? I don't want to go to the dentist unnecessarily (because I'm a giant baby who hates the dentist).

I had the same thing a couple weeks ago and finally went to the dentist last week. She replaced the filling and I feel LOADS better. Your teeth are more sensitive in pregnancy but I would recommend going to the dentist to make sure it's not a problem.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

My midwife hasn't even told me what 'size' my baby is measuring. She just keeps saying "Yep, normal!" "Everything is where it should be!" I've only gained about 12 pounds and I'm at 36 weeks now so I can't help but wonder if the baby is small? I haven't had an ultrasound since 18weeks for the quad testing.

It seems like everyone is having a lot of measurements and ultrasounds done! Am I missing something or should I be getting more thoroughly checked? Or is it only for high risk patients?

Also, anybody have any experience with fainting? I'm still waitressing and haven't been having any trouble at work on my feet for 5 hours but I was standing on the train on the way to work the other day, I flat out fainted - started with dizziness, nausea then my vision went black. I went into the doctor and they said it was probably something as simple as dehydration or low iron levels (I am on iron supplements).

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Do we have the same due date? (I'm January 21) I'm a couple days shy of 38 as well but I've had the opposite - the whole pregnancy I've barely been able to eat more than my pre-pregnancy intake but this last week I've pigged out like a mad woman.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for or against any particular body pillows? I've always been a stomach sleeper, but in the past 2 weeks that's become impossible, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to side-sleeping.

Ug. I've been having this same issue, but my due date is only 12 days away so I've been using my hubby and a mix of 5 pillows stacked and shoved in random spaces.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

rangergirl posted:

I'm about 9 weeks along with our first kid. I started having morning sickness about 2 1/2 weeks ago...at first it was just a little nausea, nothing bad. Last week I was a mess, vomiting and unable to eat anything. This week I feel way better. I'm still a little nauseous, especially when I try to eat, but it's NOTHING like last week. I actually ate a whole bowl of cereal this morning without any puking.

Has anyone else ever had morning sickness lessen in intensity this fast or even before 12 weeks?? I'm pretty happy I'm not puking anymore but it seems weird.

Mine came on in waves from 8-16 weeks. Everyone's body is different. My friend was getting it all through the pregnancy and I've known other people who didn't get it at all.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

If you get a heater, definitely get a humidifier! You may think she's being paranoid but when we pumped up the heater in our place to accommodate for baby-safe temps, I started waking up with bloody noses and chapped lips every morning until we invested in one. Would hate for that to happen to baby.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

I had a baby (first one)! She was two days early on the 19th. I had 40 hours of very painful back labor. Did most of it with my midwife and the doula (highly recommend for anyone to get a doula - this was the best experience throughout the whole process! She was amazing!!).

Once I hit active labor, the pain was so bad and the contractions were so close together I screamed for about two hours straight. We finally decided I would be better off with an epidural before I screamed myself unconscious. Thank goodness I did most of the labor natural so I didn't have to have any pitocin or help with delivery. I even kept most of my muscle control. I slept for four hours and woke up just in time to have the baby. She's pretty cute!

The only thing I'd recommend for first time moms is if you're planning to breast feed, definitely bring your boppy or nursing pillow! It saved my arm!

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Anyone have any secret burping techniques for newborns? I cannot seem to get her to burp after feeding. I finally give up, put her down, then 30 minutes later she's in a fit from gas.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

My Boppy was my best friend in the Hospital. I agree with skipping the showering supplies. You are NOT going to feel like a shower in the hospital after surgery/birth.
I brought my pillow from home too and was really happy with it. They do provide hospital pillows, but they are flat and annoying - I was so much happier with mine.

Definitely bring snacks. The hospital will feed you but I found that I was only awake during the night time (labor got my schedule all screwed up). So the caf was closed and the food they brought was cold by the time I got to it.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Definitely still okay to have sex! You're thinking about when your water breaks. After your water breaks, the amniotic sac is open to contamination and infection. Your mucus plug has nothing to do with that. Most doctors recommend both sex and baths this late in pregnancy. Go for it.

Also, question: My newborn (4 weeks now) is starting to have much longer awake periods. She doesn't cry much but I feel like she gets bored. She babbles at me when she's sitting doing nothing for more than three minutes. I mean, there's not much she can DO right now. And there's only so long I can bounce and wiggle and swing and sing to her before I go nuts. How do you entertain your babies?

Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 16, 2012

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

I need some advice. My 6-week-old baby seems awfully intolerant of my husband. He doesn't like to be kissed by him, he cries when he tries to play with him, and he will only rarely take a bottle from him (he's mainly breastfed, but we've tried to give him a few bottles of breastmilk here and there so I could have a break, and it doesn't really work). If I leave the room, even if the kid is sleeping, he starts crying, and my husband can't console him. Really the only other person he seems to tolerate and even enjoy is my mom, who lives 2.5 hours away.

The situation is only kind of a problem right now since I'm home with the baby, but my maternity leave's up in a couple of weeks and we were planning to have my husband stay home with the baby. (There really isn't another option; childcare options here are almost nonexistent). But I don't want my husband to have to struggle too much and get burned out.

Any ideas on how I can help my baby enjoy my husband's company more, or at least tolerate it?

My Boyfriend claims that our baby (5 weeks old now) does the same thing. And admittedly, it is easy for me to console and entertain her but he can do it just fine if he puts a little extra effort into it.

Some things that help him: Skin to skin contact. Tell your husband to take off his shirt or something. Wearing something that smells like you or milk (Even just laying one of my dirty shirts on his lap seems to calm her down).

Other than that, when I'm asleep he swaddles her really tight and bounces her on his lap and she's pretty easy. When I'm awake, as long as she can see me she won't even cry. She just talks at me. I think she also tends to cry more around him because he's not quick to respond to the early stages of crying/uncomfortableness whereas I can tell with her first couple of coos what's wrong.

Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 24, 2012

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Re: Packing for the hospital

You don't need maternity pads, wipes or diapers. The Hospital will provide a plethora of these - probably even a bunch for you to take home too.
I kept it simple. One going home outfit for me and baby, chap stick, mouth wash, nipple cream, and a bunch of snacks like fruit bars and granola bars. I found that I needed to eat something every time I breastfed otherwise I would get SO fatigued.
And for entertainment: my kindle, our DSs & ipad (boyfriend and I just ended up watching movies on the ipad for the three days we were in the hospital).
Pillow for me & a BOPPY PILLOW (This was my savior while breastfeeding in the hospital).
The one thing we regretted not bringing was more stuff for him. He didn't want to leave the hospital once the baby was here and he was sleeping in this chair at the hospital at first so we had a friend bring us a big blanket and extra pillows which ended up being awesome. Then he moved to sleeping in the hospital bed with me and we really benefited from the extra bedding.- it was tiny, but we're tiny so it worked. Haha. The nurses kept laughing at us piled in the hospital bed together.

Re: bodnoirbabe

Sounds like normal post-pregnancy feelings. PUMP NOW! The second day home I pumped a bunch and the third day I slept a full 12 hours straight while daddy stayed up with a bottle. It was SO amazing and I felt completely recharged. You NEED sleep. If you're having trouble pumping then I would say supplement formula for the day. You are not going to kill your baby by giving him formula for one day and once you're recharged you will be in a much better position to take care of yourself and your child.

Also, wanted to mention that Kennedy is 5 weeks old and we're sleeping pretty much the whole night through. I get a good 8-10 hours with only one interruption to change and feed her (and I make daddy get up and change her and bring her to me so I don't even have to get up). So it does get better and it doesn't take forever. In order to do this, I do have to harass her right before bed. I feed her for about an hour and if she falls asleep I keep tickling her feet to wake her up until she won't eat anymore so she is nice and full for bed time.

Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 27, 2012

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Yea. I've noticed, the shorter the sessions, the shorter periods baby will sleep for so especially right before bed or during, it's nice to do a really long session. But it also depends on your supply too. Before Kennedy hit her growth spurt, My let down was so much that she was done and full after about 10 minutes but now she's sucking me dry for 45 to an hour. Guess I have to wait for it to even out again.

On the other hand, we bed share and I wake up, feed her for about 5-10 minutes before falling back to sleep, usually with her still latched. Haha! If you can find a safe position where she and you are both comfortable, this works really well.

Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 28, 2012

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

vanessa posted:

Also, did any of you have any intuition about when your baby would arrive, and were you right? I've got this feeling that my baby will arrive closer to 37 weeks than to 40 weeks, and it's been hard making sure I don't get too excited or expectant (or panicky, because I just hit 36 weeks and it feels like we aren't remotely close to prepared even though we have the bassinet and diapers, and all the blankets and clothes have been washed and put away).

I just knew I was going into labor within a week on a Saturday and labor started Wednesday. I did think she was going to be around her due date since the rest of my pregnancy was so normal and she ended up being 2 days early so basically right on time!

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I have a question about getting back into sex. Did you guys wait the entire 6 weeks before having sex again or did you start up a little bit sooner? I'm going to be 4 weeks post-partum on Thursday and I've been raring to go since week two. It's really, really frustrating, but I don't want to cause any damage or anything like that.

I made an attempt at around 5 and a half weeks and it was like popping my cherry again. I couldn't handle it. I don't even think we actually made penetration. I'm almost 9 weeks now and we STILL haven't actually had sex. I feel like I'm in high school again with all the heavy petting with no sex. My goal is by his birthday on the 27th!

On the other hand, I know lots of women who have sex as early as three weeks post.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

So Kennedy is almost three months old and she's smiling like crazy and it's about time to graduate to the other thread.

Next week I get the Paraguard IUD put in. What is everyone else choosing for after-baby birth control? Anybody had IUD experience? They told me to take a bunch of Ibuprofen before my appointment which was a bit intimidating - as if my vagina hasn't been through enough!

p.s. cute little baby mohawk! (and bonus milk chin)

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

Chandrika posted:

I weighed myself when labour started, and again after birth, and my loss was exactly 10lbs. I'm pretty scientifically-minded, but did anyone else do this? My total weight gain was 19lbs, so a 20lb loss seems high for me! But then, I think I was low on amniotic fluid.

20 lbs does seem like A LOT. I only lost 8 from labor to coming home from the hospital with a 6.7 lb baby. But now it's almost 3 months out and I'm down to my pre pregnancy weight (I gained about 25 lbs total) and I'm still losing. I was pretty average size to start and was very active the whole pregnancy and after so maybe that's why my gains and losses were so small.

Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

I got away with the rubber band trick up until my last month where I just bought a pair of jeggings two sizes big and lived in them. I was pretty tiny the whole way through.

Speaking of, I'm 3 months out and able to fit into my jeans again! yay! I'm 10 lbs less than I was pre-pregnancy. Your hips get much wider so when I got to pp weight at first I was really bummed to still be muffin-topping out of my jeans, but there is light at the end of the tunnel! And smiles!! lots of those!