Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

I am almost halfway through my first pregnancy and in the past few days have been waking up with my right ear feeling clogged. I am pretty sure it isn't wax because the feeling goes away by the middle of the day. My OB said their office doesn't have the equipment to look into my ear and that I should just take Sudafed -- but I am not fully confident with her practice (I am actively meeting with potential new practices). Could this just be part of the pregnancy inflammation (ex: rhinitis) that I've read about? I am a little worried because it hasn't gone away yet today. Think the Sudafed will actually help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Thanks panne, Bamzilla, and opie!

I agree it is bizarre that an office wouldn't have an otolaryngoscope -- I think that the OB just wanted to get rid of me because she has a poor bedside manner. It's just one of the reasons I am looking for a new practice.

Unfortunately I only just moved here a few months ago and don't have a primary doctor right now. I just assumed that my OB would act as my primary for the duration of the pregnancy, but I'll start looking for a primary doctor. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks goons! A first time pregnancy in a city without much local family/friend support is sometimes a scary thing.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

My OB was my primary for the duration of my pregnancy. The only time I went to my GP was for a flu shot since my OB's office was out of them. Is a different OB an option or do you like this one otherwise/need to see this one?

I am not particularly happy with the practice and am in the midst of looking for a new one. I have a good lead on a midwife practice, and I am excited to meet them.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

legbeard posted:

I'm not really gaining weight, but I'm about 30 lbs overweight to begin with. I'm just over thinking everything at this point. Any advice?

Beware: ancedotes are not data.

Legbeard (as an overweight pregnant goonette at 18 weeks myself) although I feel heavier than ever and my clothes are uncomfortable, I have apparently only gained 1 pound. Via ultrasound, my doctor reports they baby is growing fine and is an appropriate size for its gestational age. Also, I have definitely been eating healthier (and smaller portions), so I can only assume that somehow I am losing weight in concert with how fast the baby gains it.

Although I am not an expert, as long as you are eating a healthy diet and your ultrasounds show appropriate growth, I wouldn't worry about the weight.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Pregnancy thread goons, I am looking into childbirth classes and Mr. Clarice and I need your opinions. I like the sound of the Bradley Method class (I am very interested in an intervention-free labor, and since this is my first I am a total n00b who would like lots of instruction), but he is freaked out by the fact that it has (tm) all over it and thinks it sounds kind of snake-oil salesman/late night infomercial. Alternatively at least one nearby hospital claims to have a "Natural Childbirth" class. Or are there other birthing classes that we should be looking into? Parents of both genders are welcome to chime in, Mr. Clarice would like to know what fathers-to-be found helpful as well.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Pardon my very naive question, but quite a few posters have mentioned taking a shower after their water breaks and before going to the hospital. Why is that important?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Thanks Chickalicious and Tesla. Mr. Clarice and I are total n00bs at this and have not yet explored how the whole birthing thing will go down. Now I am totally creeped out, thanks.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

I started out fat AND I had a ton of gas-bloating, so I looked six or seven months pregnant immediately. (Like, IMMEDIATELY.) By the time the gas subsided I was actually showing a little bit so there was really no change. I just went ahead and got a bunch of maternity stuff as soon as I could; I feel like it looks cute on me and I can finally feel alright about my belly :3: Also, waaaayy more comfortable. I've only gained 5 pounds (I'm 22 wks) so I haven't grown out of anything, and even have a little more room to grow into most of it. Next purchase: Muumuus (I'm going full Dorothy Zbornak in this bitch)

I had a similar experience (now at 25 weeks). I started out overweight and lost weight through the first 15 or so weeks. Yet at the same time, I actually felt heavier and my weight had shifted so that everything with a proper waistband was uncomfortable. At this point, I am almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and all of my "maternity" clothes are just jersey/stretchy dresses about 1 size larger than my normal size with an empire waist (for baby-growth space).

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

limegrnxj posted:

I was also terribly bloated in the beginning and by the time that went away, baby bump appeared. I've felt uncomfortable in one way or another basically since April.

I don't understand all you people who are losing weight or not gaining very much. :( I'm at 26 weeks and I've gained about 20 pounds. I guess it's all in blood volume, I'm still wearing some pre-pregnancy pants and my boobs are the same. I'm really quite bummed about it. I'm eating healthy and running 3-4 days a week, why I so fat?

My excuse is that the only food I wanted to eat for the first trimester was fruit and salad. So my calorie intake got much smaller (between the fruitarian diet and smaller portions, since regular size meals would cause me to have heartburn) and my low to moderate exercise didn't change. But even though I haven't really gained weight there is no way I could fit into any pants that I was wearing a few months ago, because my weight has all re-distributed to my waistline. So if you can still fit into pants after weight gain, good for you!

Besides, us fat girls are supposed to keep our weight gain in check (under 15 pounds for the whole pregnancy). So while I am definitely not dieting, I am also not allowing myself to indulge in the "eating for two" mentality. This kid only needs 300 calories a day, and let's face it, I didn't get to be fat by only eating the required numbers of calories a day.

tl,dr: I was a fatty with a not so great diet before this kid, now I am eating much healthier, thus weight loss.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

A week ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I know it isn't the end of the world, but I am feeling pretty depressed about it. The fact that I basically can't eat fruit for the rest of the pregnancy (a banana has almost all the carbohydrates I am allowed to eat for a whole meal) and that even though I am working really hard at tracking and limiting my carb intake I still am having a hard time keeping my blood sugar in the recommended levels (150 after breakfast most mornings is much too high).

I have already met with the nurse educator and have an appointment with the dietician on Thursday; but am hoping for some advice or just "it gets better" from goonettes who have had to deal with this as well.

tl,dr: I am throwing myself a pity party because I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Anyone have experience with the three hour test, or with having gestational diabetes?

I have been learning all about (and living with) GD, since my diagnosis a month ago. I hope you pass your three-hour test, because frankly GD isn't fun, but you only have to deal with it for a few months, so it could be worse. But if you get bad news and have questions about the new lifestyle let me know.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Had a midwife appointment today and during the exam part she said "you are having Braxton-Hicks contractions" (note I am at 33 weeks). My response was "really? Because I don't feel anything".

So now I am wondering, is it weird that I don't feel the contractions? I also have never felt this kid hiccup like so many other pregnant ladies mention. I do feel lots of regular movement and punching/kicking though so I know the kid is fine. Am I just a cold, heartless person who can only feel the sad flailing of her child? I am "out of touch with my body" or some hippy-answer?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Thanks ladies for the backup, but especially bamzilla for making me spit water at my monitor and Seahag for reminding me that medicine is sometimes completely ridiculous.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Congrats, MoCookies and family!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

The Capitulator posted:

Help goons, what have you done / are going to do?

Capitulator, prepare yourself for a wall of text.

I am a similar age to your wife and am expecting my first child. My husband was very interested in getting the scan done out of concern for Downs, while I was on the fence about the whole thing but figured "it couldn't hurt to be prepared". So we did it. The tech spent a lot of time looking at the screen and then going out to talk to a doctor, but dispute our inquiries never mentioned anything might be "wrong". At the end she said, the NT looks normal and we went on our merry way.

The next day (a Friday) a genetic counselor from the hospital leaves a message on the voice mail saying "we are concerned about your baby's heart, please call us back" (during the NT scan they will also check placental and fetal circulation). I called back and of course the counselor had already left for the weekend, so the two of us spent the next three days worried about what might be wrong.

When I finally got ahold of the counselor on Monday we learned that the fetus had a condition that results in some blood moving backwards through the fetal heart. My own research on the condition showed at 1. It is relatively common and usually clears up on its own before birth 2. the heart still has so much developing to do still that this is not a good predictor of later complications 3. even if it turned out our child would have a heart condition, there is nothing that would/could be done in utero.

But of course the hospital wanted me to do weekly sonograms to monitor the growth of the heart and at least one invasive test - they said this was so they would know what they were dealing with, but we thought is was to cover their asses if something went wrong, I mean, even in the worst case scenario, you can't do anything until the kid is born; so why weekly monitoring from week 9 on?

Because of the stress and needless worrying, I regret having the NT done. Although my spouse argues he is still glad we did it, since the Downs part was clean.

TL,DR: We had to deal with a fair amount of stress for a test that has a pretty low positive predictive value. Because of what we had to deal with with the hospital staff I wish I hadn't done it, but my spouse is glad we did.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

I am getting close to making this decision myself, I am at 37weeks2days; and the kid is measuring about 38w6d (so a little ahead). We had a bit of a scare today where we thought the maybe the placenta was having problems, but it was just a false alarm. I plan on holding out to 40weeks if possible and only inducing if it seems like things are going badly.

I think you should keep in mind (and be open to the fact) that you might need to induce, but I wouldn't allow the doc to just make that decision as early as 32 weeks! There are so many things that can happen between now and then, and as you mentioned, if you keep your diet and blood sugar on control, it is very possible you could just go to 40 weeks.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Prolonged Shame posted:

I had my baby! Calvin Harper was born at 3:36 PM on Dec 16th.

Congrats! And what a great name!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

FretforyourLatte posted:

Had me a baby the other day!

Sadie was born at 4:01 am on 12/30. They induced me in the evening on 12/29 because my blood pressure was starting to spazz out, and we'd already verified by amnio that she was fully developed and ready to go. She weighed 6lb 12oz and was 20in long. So far, she is a total peach. :3: Last night was our first night home and it went as well as things can go at this point, I was actually able to get a few hours of sleep here and there which isn't half bad!

Congrats, you scored an adorable baby!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Goonettes I need your advice. Today I am officially 40weeks and there is no sign that this kid is ready to emerge. I had my midwife appointment today and she said they are willing to let things go a little while longer, but with my gestational diabetes they are planning on getting this kid out in a week if labor hasn't happened by then. She tried to strip my membranes today to help things along, but it turns out that my cervix was all "hell no" (completely undialated) and she said that induction at this point wouldn't take since clearly my body wasn't ready yet.

I know that "healthy baby and healthy mom" are the most important things in the end, but I would really like to avoid the full medical induction, potential c-section, and lengthy hospital stay. Any advice on how to convince this kid to get out?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Superdawg posted:

I've been watching this thread (and the others) for a while now. Here is my contribution, and lession.

After two miscarriages, we finally conceived and this handsome fella was born on Monday afternoon.

It was our first baby, he was 6 lbs 14.8 ounces at 19 inches long. My wife awoke me at 6:41 AM that her water had broke. She was 38 weeks, 4 days into the pregnancy.

By 10:30, with no medication, she was 8 cm dilated and still begging for meds and epidural. By the time the anesthesiologist came, she was nearly 9 cm dilated.

Once the epidural was in, it was a whole new day. She felt no pain whatsoever. By 2:07, she was fully dilated and we got started with pushing. By 3:22 pm, little Christopher Daniel was born!

Lesson to be learned? Even after two missed miscarriages (heartbeat never started), never give up hope!

Congrats Superdawg! And way to go Mrs. Superdawg with what sounds like a pretty ideal delivery.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

FretforyourLatte posted:

Unfortunately I don't have any advice on how to get your kiddo moving, but I just wanted to let you know that being induced doesn't increase your hospital stay any longer than just going into labor, aside from perhaps the few hours it takes the pitocin to kick in. I went in to get induced last Thursday night, had the baby Friday morning, and went home Sunday. As far as C-sections, from what I have heard it only requires one extra day of hospitalization, barring complications of course. Obviously we'd all rather go on our own, but the alternatives really aren't so bad.

Maybe it is the particular midwife practice we are a part of then, because they definitely made it sound like an extended stay in the hospital. They are very low intervention so they said the progression would be: try to strip the membrane (this is the only option that would allow me to go home immediately all others apparently require staying at the hospital), if that doesn't work try cervadil, if that doesn't work then pitocin, and finally C-section. For each of these options there is 24-hour waiting period involved where the midwives are hoping that the induction will take and they can let the body go from there without further intervention.

So in the best case scenario, not a long stay, but in the worst case (and I would prefer to be mentally prepared for the worst case since based on my personal medical history with hormone-based events the pitocin won't work and we'll have to go to a C-section) we were told we are looking at a five-day hospital stay. That is a lot since up until yesterday everyone was working under the assumption that we were looking at a two-day max hospital stay.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is not really a big deal; but it is a drastic shift from what I (and Mr. Clarice) value in the medical field so it will take a little time for us to come to terms with it.

In the meantime, thanks for all the suggestions on home induction (Mr. Clarice comically suggested trying to combine them all at once for the best outcome). And check out all those cute new goon-babies!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Trip report as requested by Fire in the Disco. I shot down Mr. Clarice's comedy option of "try all home induction techniques at once." So we had spicy food one day, sex the next, and then on the next day (two Saturday's ago) I was just about the break out the castor oil when I had to ask myself "did my water just break?"

So Saturday the 7th we go into the hospital in the very beginning stages of labor. Lots of medical decisions are made and I end up getting Pitocin to help jump start things a bit more. I labor through all of Sunday, the OB docs get restless and want to evict this kid by force if necessary, but my midife holds them off. Midnight Monday morning the kid is still firmly lodged in there (at -1 station, not even fully descended into the pelvis) and after 36 hours of labor the midwife concedes to the attending OB that is it time for a C-section.

Little Ezra was born last Monday at 1:30am, perfectly healthy at 8 pounds 6 oz, 22 inches long. We got home from the hospital on Thursday and are adjusting to the new normal. Mr. Clarice and I are over the moon in love with him. It wasn't the delivery I envisioned but as soon as I laid my eyes on him it just didnt matter.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

Congratulations, but I'm disappointed in no comedic option (kidding, I'm only disappointed in no photo of Ezra! :D)

Photo to come -- I need to figure out hosting and whatnot. But he is cute, be assured.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

My little girl is now 7 weeks old

She's been so easy, we're already planning our second. She now only gets up to feed once during the night, she will feed from the boob or bottle, hot or cold, without any fuss. She self burps and always seems to be happy.

She's come out on the boat twice now, we made sure she had a whistle, for safety

Ezra and I are nursing/reading the forums, respectively, and I had to stop and show him this post as a warning: "here is the awesomeness goon-babies that you have to live up to. Get crackin' "

Totally adorable!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

netally posted:

Any tips from goon mommas about how to cope with this stage in pregnancy? Who are these crazy women who enjoy being pregnant?

Unfortunately I have no advice for you, but as one of the crazy women who enjoyed being pregnant I can say it was because the kid wasn't causing me to be uncomfortable. I never had any of the problems most women have in late pregnancy. Clicking hips? No. Shortness of breath? No. Nausea? No. Having to pee constantly? No. Painful Braxton Hicks? No. Etc....

I think Ezra was being good to me so I wouldn't evict him from the womb. He was born at nearly 41 weeks and only then because he was forcebly removed. If it was up to him, he would still be in there now.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Born via c-section. It was not how we preferred things to go, but after 22 hours on pitocin and only going to 6 centimeters, my ob stated it was the best option.

Breastfeeding and new baby issues here...

I don't know guys. Help.

You are NOT alone! It gets better!

Bodnoirbabe, I had the same labor issues as you. What I wasn't told was that the painkillers I was given for the surgery (and for recovery) could transfer through the breastmilk and make the baby sleepy. In that first week or so Ezra slept about 23 out of 24 hours. Once I stopped the painkillers and they worked out of both our systems, he became a much more alert baby, and easier to feed. The difference was amazing. All this is to say, that awaking Maxwell up every 2-3 hours really is best. He needs the food and right now isn't able to accurately prioritize food over sleep.

I still have times when I sorely miss sleeping in, and my husband and I still don't eat dinner together (Ezra has decided that is fussy time and one of us has to be with him). Mourning for the life you left behind is totally normal (I know I did). And it will take some time but there will be little things that Maxwell does that make the new life totally worth it (my personal favorite is the look babies get when they are are drunk on milk -- it doesn't happen with most of our feeds, but when it happens it is the best thing ever).

Also, breastfeeding can be really hard at the beginning, and I felt like I was failing Ezra up until about a week ago; but keep in mind this is a new skill for both of you. In our case, at one month he was still at birth weight and only now at 7 weeks are we successfully showing steady growth and following the growth charts. Would it be possible for you to occassionally pump and have your husband feed some expressed milk to the baby, this would allow you to get a little extra sleep.

I think you are on the SA Moms Facebook page, right? Feel free to message me there or PM me through the forums if you need someone to talk to. You CAN do this. I was in a similar position to yours and now I am posting to the Internet after nursing my happy 10 pound(!) baby.

[edit: What Susan B. Antimony says]

Crazy Old Clarice fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 27, 2012

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Today is a huge day in the Clarice household!

Ezra is 7 weeks old today, intentionally smiled at me this morning (not just gas!), AND for the first time he found his thumb and soothed himself to sleep.

We are lying on the couch together, he is sleeping and I am gazing in awe at my tiny little man. Today life is good.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

For baby naming, Mr. Clarice and I found https://www.babynamewizard.com to be very useful. You can set parameters for the name: gender, popularity, number of syllables, etc and it will generate a list of names. It even gives suggestions like "goes well with X" for siblings. I would have never thought of "Ezra" otherwise; which (like many of you) fit my desire for a non-popular name but wasn't too weird for Mr. Clarice.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

My two month old hates being wet with the passion of a thousand firey suns.

When he pees and his diaper (cloth) is wet he immediately cries until we change it (note: he doesn't have any diaper rash or problems urinating). When we try to give him a bath he turns blue/purple with rage and does that "they are trying to kill me" scream that becomes a silent apoplectic fit. It isn't that he is cold because he is happy being naked in the house at the same temperature.

It seems that he is starting to associate the bath with horrible things happening because now just bringing him in the bathroom causes him to start crying. How did I break my baby? Is there a way to fix him?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Poor Ezra has been terribly upset all day, crying on and off with giant baby tears. He has never been colicky so this is out of his norm. He is also more grunty. He is 11 weeks now, could he be teething? Or is it too early? He is drooling and biting more (though not enough that it seems to be obviously teething). We have tried all the usual culprits and nothing is helpful. Yesterday we were traveling and our schedule was all out of sorts, but today we are back to normal so I don't think that is it. His sad cries just break my heart. Any ideas, goons?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Gravitate, Sammy is ridiculously adorable ... that tiny little mouth! *sqweee*

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

hepscat posted:

This is where you're going to need to go by what your doctor tells you, but to give you an idea, I was told to aim for a fasting of 90 in the morning and under 120 after meals. I'm a diabetic full-time, its possible the guidelines are different for gestational diabetics.

I had GD and was told exactly the same numbers -- the post-meal value was for one hour after meals.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Grammar Fascist posted:

We have also been using Total Baby to track feeds and diapers. It's $4.99, but has been well worth it for the syncing, graphs/charts, ability to edit, and ease of use.

Finally, I'd like to introduce Miles Henry:

D'aww..... What an adorable babby! Congrats!!

I will second the Total Baby app. We used it constantly for the first three months -- when you are so sleep deprived you can't remember when you last fed or changed the baby. We still use it now to track weight/height, record vaccinations, and keep questions for the next doctor's appointment.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Operation "let's remove this baby" has been moved up to today (in about 3 hours).

Good luck Mnemosyne! Hopefully all will go smoothly.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

You may want to call your ped in the morning and see if they can get you a referral to an ENT right away. Most people I know with babies with tongue-tie have had to see an ENT to get it clipped.

I wouldn't be so fast to rush to an ENT. A tongue-tie does not automatically have to be clipped -- many kids grow out of it. Our little one was born with a tongue-tie and is doing just fine without any intervention (he can stick his tongue out past his lips and can make all the age-appropriate babbling noises). Our pediatrician actually recommended against clipping it since (according to her) the tongue still has more outward growth to do after birth which can resolve the tongue-tie. Yes it made the first few weeks of breastfeeding tough, but as his mouth grew larger things improved and it is no longer an issue.

As with many things baby related, this is something that you should discuss with your pediatrician to see what is best for your family.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

Right, some people do just fine, but her baby can't latch at all so this is a little more serious than a painful latch for a few weeks.

I am not saying that Mnemosyne's situation isn't serious, there is a good chance that her baby has a severe tongue-tie that needs to be clipped. However, she is seeing the pediatrician on Tuesday and can have a medical professional help her determine if that is the best thing for her child (seriously, the LC said "maybe it was a tongue-tie"? they should be able to tell you that definitively) I just don't see the need for her to call tomorrow and immediately get an appointment with an ENT when it isn't even completely clear that this is the problem.

Hospital LCs are of a wide variety of skills, abilities, and competentcies and from what she wrote it sounds like Mnemosyne got some duds.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Acrolos posted:

We are definitely going to keep the child rather than consider the other options, but I am worried about how to handle the situation, knowing she has been against having children in the past.

I agree with the other posters, but thought you could use as many data points as possible, so here is my opinion...

My husband was the "let's have kids" half of our partnership. I wasn't interested because I never felt maternal. It took until about halfway through the pregnancy that I started getting really excited about the idea, and by the time he was born I was totally in love and even decided to become a stay-at-home mom. So it is very possible that she could change her mind about the whole thing as you two make your way through the pregnancy.

Be as supportive as you can (which it sounds like you are already doing) and have realistic expectations. My husband and I were prepared to feel "meh" about the baby at first, since many times it takes awhile for those hormones to kick in. And congrats to you both!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Like Bamzilla said, baby stuff is stupid expensive. Now if you want it and can afford it, great; but personally I think a lot of people just get caught up in the consumerism. For me, $400 is *way* too expensive for a baby's dresser, especially since they don't care what it looks like. Our boy has an open shelving unit from Ikea ($20!) for his "dresser" and it holds his clothes just as well. Plastic bins with drawers sounds perfect to me.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Consequently I had my c-section on June 18th, and everything went really, really well for both me and the baby. This is Wesley Ivan <Lastname>, named after my husband's grandfather and my grandfather.

Glad the little guy is doing well and that delivery wasn't too bad for either of you. Congrats on having an adorable little goon baby! He looks so small in that large expanse of crib, it made me :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Acrolos posted:

So, my fiance and I are having a hard time deciding when to tell people. At this point, we've told no one. Is the consensus still to wait until 12 weeks, or is that fairly uncommon now. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of waiting or not?

We have our first meeting with the obgyn at 8 weeks, next Monday. If all is healthy, I would like to tell.. But we worry about a complicated pregnancy since both of us were told we couldn't conceive.

Because we had a previous miscarriage, we waited until 12 weeks (I wanted to be able to deal with it completely privately, should anything have happened). After that we told family and friends, but didn't tell co-workers until it was painfully obvious (I have an issue with my personal life bleeding into my professional life).

In my mind, the pros and cons of waiting go like this:
PRO
Less of the daily "how are you feeling" from everybody that you know
Should anything bad happen, you don't have to deal with other people's emotions and reactions to it
CON
You can't share your awesome happiness
You can't pull any "I am pregnant" excuses
You can't share your awesome happiness (on here twice because it really is a big one)

Congrats Acrolos!