Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

My god, I am cramping terribly. I found out I am pregnant yesterday because I got sent home from work for puking. Turns out, I wasn't sick but pregnant. When will the uterine cramping go away? It hurts pretty badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You shouldn't be feeling really bad cramping like that. Some is expected, usually mild. What your describing seems pretty painful. If you start spotting, may want to head to the hospital to get checked out.

Okay. It is pretty painful. It is like menstrual cramps only no bleeding. I think the reason they are so painful to me are that a) I'm beyond tired - sleeping 12+ hours and still being exhausted kind of tired. b) I'm nauseated to the point where I am having trouble doing my job. I had to tell my boss yesterday because it is obvious from my symptoms that I'm pregnant. My puking, tired self let the cat out of the bag.

Edit: According to my last menstrual period, I'm considered 5 weeks along. Considering how severe my symptoms are and how early they are, I am concerned I'm packing a twofer. Twins run in my family and they definitely run in my husband's family. My first midwife appointment is Oct 17th, which is the earliest they will see me based on the magic "last menstrual period". I went with a CNM because I'm so far not considered high risk and I want to have as few interventions as possible. The hospital I chose has four on staff in the OB/GYN department. I think I have my first ultrasound then, too.

Edit 2: I know twins happen from the maternal side. I'm just sayin' that the odds are pretty high I'm going to end with with multiples.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 10, 2011

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

vanessa posted:

If you aren't feeling great, then call and ask to be seen sooner. At the very least, you can get some advice on how to alleviate the cramping and get some reassurance that things are progressing well. Plus, if you're vomiting a lot, you might be getting dehydrated which could be exacerbating the cramping.

My OB said that cramping like menstrual cramps is normal (because your uterus is expanding) but that if it got uncomfortable, I could always call her and have things checked out.

I went from no symptoms to having just about all the possible symptoms hit me in one day. Before that I felt like I was getting sick. I think it all started with extreme tiredness. I can barely make it through my shift at work because I'm so tired. Eating small meals or having snacks immediately after waking and throughout the day help keep the nausea down so much that I'm worried I'm going to start gaining in my first trimester. Being pregnant, that wouldn't be too horrible but would make for less wiggle room in potential weight gain later on.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Banana Cat posted:

Yeah, my menstrual cramps were always painful to begin with, and I cramped bad enough in the first month or so of pregnancy that I was convinced my period would start any moment and/or I'd miscarry. But when I managed to get, and keep, some water down, the cramping eased up up a bit, so I also recommend trying to keep liquids down. No-sugar added popsicles helped me out too (the more sugary ones made me nauseous).

I was so tired and nauseous at work that I was certain I was going to be reprimanded or fired since (I thought) it was obvious I was slacking miserably, but I was so terrified of miscarrying any moment that I didn't want to tell anyone I was pregnant yet. Luckily, some flu or something was going around work for about a month, so everyone else was tired and grumpy and no one gave my symptoms a second thought. Don't worry about gaining weight in the first trimester. Do whatever you need to in order to get through the day!

I had to tell my supervisor because being pregnant means I can't work with patients with infectious diseases or taking certain medications. While the risk of actually coming in contact with something bad is low, the consequences are very high if it happened. On top of that, it was pretty drat obvious that something wasn't right.

I feel like I'm going to miscarry at any point because the cramps are so painful. I find that water is okay, but grape juice is the nectar of the gods. I never knew it was so magical until I got pregnant.

Also, I'm only 5-6 weeks along and my breasts are starting to grow already. I'm so sore that I can't wear my underwire bras as of today. My sports bras are also tight, but marginally more comfortable.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I was reading through the earlier parts of this thread and found a recommendation for the Bravado maternity/nursing bra from Target. Whoever first suggested that wins for life. My comfort level instantly improved with the acquisition of a couple of those bad boys. I went from zero to uncomfortable in quite literally one day. Sure, my breasts were sore as hell before today, but today marked the "Oh wow. My bra cups are too small and hurt" phase.

I am still unpacking and had a friend over to help me. She, without me mentioning a word, asked me if my breasts were bigger.

I'm right at around 6 weeks and my breasts are noticeably larger. :emo:

Has anyone else experienced such a thing with pregnancy or was it more gradual?

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I had a gynecological nurse visit today to just confirm that I am, indeed, knocked up and to allow me to ask some questions. I am definitely pregnant (duh). I do feel better about the pregnancy, though, knowing that my symptoms are completely normal, including my case of "pregnancy brain." I feel like I suddenly developed a case of ADD. Even the simplest tasks require more mental fortitude than I currently seem to possess. My cramps are not abnormal and it doesn't appear that I am miscarrying, just cramping.

I was given orders to call back between now and my actual prenatal appointment if the nausea gets worse or continues to interfere with my work.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Has anyone had to deal with less-than-accomodating employers? Mine won't let me take a little bit of time off to go to my first prenatal appointment. The OB/GYN is already exceedingly busy, so I will have a hard time getting another appointment anytime soon. I might be November or later before I can get in again. My first appointment is (supposed to be) October 17th.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

MoCookies posted:

Sounds like your employer is being a dick. Might be better to approach it as, "I will be gone for a crucial doctor's appointment on Oct 17th for a few hours. I can make up the hours on <option a> or <option b>. Do you have a preference?" It's not like doctors' offices give you tons of scheduling options for nights and weekends, and going to regular appointments isn't optional. Your boss knows that of course, they're just being a dick. I'd look into setting a meeting with HR and starting scouring through any employee handbook you have ASAP.

I tried basically this exactly. When she said that she couldn't give me the time off because others had asked for that day off before me, I mentioned that I couldn't exactly change the fact that I'm pregnant. I asked if I could come in late and she said no. I then said that I am entitled to prenatal appointments through FMLA and she said that I have to talk to HR. I talked to my OB/GYN appointment manager today and found out that if I can't go to the October 17th on, it will be early November before I can get another one scheduled due to the length required for a first appointment.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

As soon as I mentioned that I am entitled to prenatal appointments under FMLA, she said, "Uh... You need to talk to _____ in HR." She then begged me to try and find a replacement instead. That is drat near impossible because it usually puts people in a bad situation where they have worked a long stretch of days. I called the HR guy and left a message stating that I needed to speak to him, but today he wasn't in the office. I'll probably be able to talk to him tomorrow.

She was caught off guard when I stated that I was hoping to save up all my FMLA time off to secure a breastfeeding bond, but I would take the time off using FMLA if it means I get to go to my appointments. I don't think she was expecting me to know my rights at all.

I have been there long enough to be entitled to FMLA.

I told my husband that I'm probably just going to quit come baby time and then find something else. If they do this kind of stuff when I'm pregnant, they sure as hell won't let me pump breast milk, which I am also legally entitled to do at work.

Tesla, the reason I am going to this particular OB/GYN group is that they have three of the four CNMs in North Dakota. I really, really want a midwife.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Not to turn this into an e/n, I'm going to going to say that the scheduling manager at work has done horrible poo poo before and it takes strong arming her into being less of a complete asshat. The woman I would work with everyday quit, so there is only me until they hire someone else. This means all I have to do is threaten to put in my notice if I don't get the day. A coworker friend of mine did this to her when the she told her she couldn't have the time off she needed to attend her grandmother's funeral. A bunch of people had taken jobs elsewhere and she was the only full-time person there. Voila! She got her time off as soon as she said she was just going to quit.

I had to get HR on my old manager's rear end when she illegally passed me up for a promotion. It was provable, so I got transferred until a similar job opened up again.

I haven't heard from HR yet, but I'm pretty sure they have already been informed.

tl;dr version: For working in a caring profession, they sure don't give a gently caress.

On another note, I got woken up with miserably bad cramps last night. No bleeding or anything, just bad cramping.

Pregnancy :argh:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Has anyone ever used Gdiapers? I like the fact that they have a disposable/flushable insert (that biodegrades in about 100 days) but the rest is reusable. The inserts are quite inexpensive compared to disposable diapers. It is kind of like the best of both worlds, I suppose.

I told a couple of my coworkers about the scheduling manager's shenanigans regarding my first appointment. The instant response was not positive about her behavior, and I found someone willing to work for the first half of my shift. It wasn't hard making the scheduling manager out to be a bad person. I stated just the facts and she hung herself.

I spoke to HR and he said I could easily use FMLA for that day but suggested I find a replacement so I don't burn through it. He said that she can't deny me time off for prenatal appointments but she can make me use FMLA time.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

How long into your pregnancy did it take before your pants were snug? I'm about seven weeks and I'm either bloated or carrying a rhino. I haven't gained weight at all, quite the opposite, but my pants are uncomfortable.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Fire In The Disco posted:

It generally takes longer, but not always-- I remember one goonette who was showing with her first for reals by 10 weeks. Some factors, like build (you tend to show sooner if you're really thin for obvious reasons), play into it, but sometimes it's just how your body's made. I'm short, only 5' tall, and I was showing big time by about 15 weeks.

I'm not showing, I'm just... I can't describe it other than my pants are too tight now. I'm uncomfortable. I'm thinking about getting a belly band because I can't loving stand my pants being buttoned right now. Ugh.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I bought a belly band. I can wear jeans again without wanting to shoot something. As it turns out, my mom hasn't been a source of much support at all because she thinks I'm going through some horrible thing. She had what she describes as the perfect pregnancy. She never got morning sickness, had cramping, or any of the bad symptoms. She also was never exhausted. She thinks I'm a freak XD

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Is there any way to avoid or 'fix' food aversions? It turns out that chicken instantly makes me sick. I can't even stand the smell of it cooked. It makes me nauseated just thinking about it. Unfortunately, chicken is nearly unavoidable in a household that eats meat. I'm finding other meats to be okay, but less palatable than pre-preggo.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I chose a midwife instead of an OB. My mom at first went "But! What if you have complications!?" but quickly backed off on questioning my choice when I brought out the maternal death rates of OB/GYNs vs. midwives. So far the pregnancy is healthy, even if the morning sickness makes me feel otherwise. There is no reason to go with a surgeon unless I need to.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I had to go to the ER last night because I was uncontrollably vomiting and having severe cramping on my right side. They did an ultrasound and found out that I am six weeks, 1 day based on fetal size. I don't have an ectopic pregnancy, but I do have a really big (like, it made the ultrasound tech go, "Wow. That is a large cyst on your ovary.") luteum cyst on my right ovary that is most likely causing the really awful right-sided cramping. I got some phenergan and fluids through an IV and felt less vomit-y but not much better. Apparently I'm a lucky woman and caught the pregnant and a stomach bug at the same time. I have some Zofran suppositories to take at home.

I had no idea luteum cysts existed or could cause severe cramping and radiating pain if they were big enough. The constant vomiting wasn't helping, either.

On the plus side, I got to peek in and see the heartbeat. That was the only upside to last night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_luteum_cyst

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 26, 2011

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

bamzilla posted:

Yup! I used to get them. I also had an 11cm cyst on an ovary throughout my entire pregnancy although that one was a different type. Pregnancy was mostly uneventful and the labor/birth went relatively smoothly.

They are going to watch it to make sure it goes down. If it doesn't, they say that they will look at other options after I pop my alien out. I'm not sure what that means, but I am guessing that they didn't want to freak me out.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I'm apparently going to be a bridesmaid in March (wtf). How in the world am I going to be able to get a dress that fits? I'll be nearly 8 months along at that point. How big will I be? I'm sure one of you has been through this.

I've already talked to her about the problem of shoes and she's agreed to let me wear flats, thankfully.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

The Young Marge posted:

I was a maid of honor at 32 weeks! Fortunately we were allowed to wear whatever black dress we wanted, and whatever shoes we wanted. I was perfectly fine and felt pretty cute in my outfit. I even danced a bunch at the reception (in between pee breaks and bites of cake).

"Maternity-appropriate" bridesmaid dresses at David's

But I ended up finding a non-maternity maxi dress that I can wear throughout and after pregnancy. If you choose something in a stretchy jersey material, which you probably should, I highly recommend wearing one of these jawns underneath. (They come in handy for under regular dresses, too.) If you can, I also recommend trying to find a dress you can wear with a normal bra.

Spending a lot of money on formalwear while pregnant is pretty much the biggest waste of money EVER, especially since it often includes special underwear, alterations and shoes. You have more important financial concerns when there's a baby on the way, so do what you can to get things you really can wear again. Only the most bridezilla of brides would insist on a yellow satin mermaid dress and 4" heels when you're 8 months pregnant.

I ended up at David's Bridal today and was able to find a non-maternity dress that will work. I have to go back monthly and check the fit, but it actually looked pretty cute, even with the belly form on! I have gigantic breasts but the rest of me isn't very big, so that made finding a dress that will probably fit when I'm almost 8 months along much easier because I have tons of belly room. For once, my breasts came in handy (never thought I'd write that!).

I didn't know they made pregnancy spanx. Although, I didn't know maternity panties were a thing until a week ago, either.

This is the dress I picked out that the bride approved of that also happened to be on sale.

How accurate are those belly forms in approximating a large pregnant belly?

Fire In The Disco posted:

It can be done, as long as the bride understands that you might be wearing a different dress (though the same color as the others). Also, make sure she understands that you will have to be able to sit a LOT. 8 months pregnant is pretty heavy, and it's easy to get winded and lightheaded then (or at least it was for me).

Oh, she is definitely aware and perfectly okay with me having a different dress. In fact, she told us all which color and length she wanted, then told us to pick out our own dress. It turns out that the dress I chose was the exact same one another bridesmaid picked out. She is also okay with me possibly having a chair waiting for me at the alter. She said that anything I need to keep me in the wedding is fine by her :3:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I am a dumbass and posted stupid livejournal poo poo.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 28, 2011

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I wasn't suggesting that I was planning on peeing in the pregnancy spanx. But, I guess I made it sound like that, didn't it?

I suppose what I am trying to ask is if pregnancy spanx are easier to get on and off than regular spanx.

Oh god I'm going to end up with a red title aren't I?

:ohdear:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

limegrnxj posted:

Just wanted to rejoice that I found 10 used AIO cloth diapers for $25 today! They're in good shape too! I brought them home and diapered all the stuffed animals in the house. DIAPER ALL THE THINGS!

Imagine if we really did have to diaper all the things. Toaster incontinence sounds like a horrible affliction.

I'm glad that there isn't anything like spanx for pregnant women in this day and age. Smoothing is much more appealing than holding in.
That thing looks evil. It can't possibly be comfortable.
VVV

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 29, 2011

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

How bad does your morning sickness have to be before you get diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarium? I'm so sick all the time I can't function or successfully perform the basic functions of my job. When I went to the ER, the doctor managed to both acknowledge the amount of vomiting I was having was excessive and treat me like it was all in my head.

I have phenergan suppositories but they knock me out. They help, but the nausea doesn't go away enough for me to function at a low level again. I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm crazy.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Randomity posted:

Have you asked about Zofran? It was like magic for my nausea, and had no side effects. I got the kind that dissolves under your tongue.

I have not asked about it. Would they prescribe it to me if phenergan (sort of) works?

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Also, I'll have to be a dissenting voice for Zofran - it gave me such bad constipation that I preferred the nausea. And if I stopped eating, I didn't have to worry about throwing up! :downs: (No, I still threw up when I brushed my teeth.) But my experience is in the minority so hopefully it will work for Gumby.

I am at the point of not really eating. I've lost 5 lbs already from throwing up and not being able to eat.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

My CNM's nurse is calling me in some Zofran. She also made me feel like I was wasting her time by saying that all my symptoms are early pregnancy symptoms and "completely normal". :bang:

Am I really just insane? Why are medical professionals treating me like that?

Is this what I can expect as a pregnant lady? Are people just going to treat me like I'm crazy?

Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? What can I do to make them see this from my perspective? I'm not being treated all that great by the people that are supposed to help me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

In addition to group B strep, you could also be a carrier for MRSA. MRSA is a superbug and is commonly carried in many people's natural flora, even if it causes no infection. The risk to a mother and baby is minimal, much like group B strep. Being a carrier for MRSA isn't quite as likely as group B strep. While about 30% of women are positive for gbs, only about 5% will be positive for MRSA. However, if your midwife or OB recommends antibiotics, it would be best to take the antibiotics. The risk is low, but the potential consequences are severe, as shown in that article posted above, and as others have mentioned.

edit: nevermind

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 5, 2011

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

PSA: On Pooping

Preggo ladies, has pooping got you down? Are you so constipated that your rear end is hurting? Are you taking added iron because you are anemic and now you're backed up like a 12 car pileup on I65? Changing your diet to be extra high fiber only causing gas? Congratulations on being knocked up with an epic food baby!

Always talk to your doctor/practitioner first before taking anything (obviously). However, they will tell you that certain medications are safe. They include Colace stool softener and the amazing MiraLax (polyethylene glycol).

The magic number is three days of not going before taking anything (CALL FIRST), but talk to your practitioner if you are having pain or if you are extremely uncomfortable in the meantime.

On enemas: Only under the advice and instruction of your practitioner!

Prevention is key, but sometimes even that doesn't work. If you have pain or bleeding on your anus, it is most likely hemorrhoids from straining. Before treating them yourself, talk to your doctor.

Water, fiber, and more water are the best ways to prevent a log jam. Sometimes a provider will tell you to take a prenatal without iron. Only do this if your provider specifically tells you do this, not before. Iron is an essential nutrient during pregnancy.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

My rear end hurts for reals, ya'll.

I'm on Zofran, I now have to take an antacid as a regularly scheduled thing, and an additional iron supplement (all of which is normal when you have excessive vomiting in early pregnancy and are apparently anemic). I ended up backed up pretty much immediately. Part of my job is administering all kinds of delightful meds, orally and otherwise, to relieve constipation in the elderly, so I have the whole bowel thing down.

I have to take MiraLax and can take it daily for as long as I need to. I eat FiberOne cereal when I can stomach breakfast, eat a bunch of fruit and veggies (when I can stomach them), and also drink fiber water when I need to. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't really possible to get bound up from taking a bunch of fiber. What will happen, though, is diarrhea and lots of gas. The reason this happens is that fiber acts like an osmotic laxative. It draws fluid into the colon. The more fiber, the more fluid is drawn into the colon. Too much water = brown water.

Constipation isn't just uncomfortable, it can be quite a serious thing. Don't just sit and be miserable. It is okay to contact your practitioner to get the okay to take something.

While taking so many meds to stop the vomiting kind of irks me, I can actually work again. Also, they are safe during pregnancy and I need them to stay healthy. Don't get hung up on the amount of medications you are on if you are sick beyond normal early pregnancy sick. If you can't trust your doctor/midwife to give you safe medications, why are you seeing them?

I got probated for apparently needing to focus on my pregnancy, so I guess learn a lesson from me (and keep your account safer) and just talk to your doctor instead of posting about it on the forums asking if something is normal. You probably aren't as sick as you think you are, but sometimes you are (like me). The safest and best advice is to talk to your provider.

Water Hammer posted:

I don't know how to put this, but I'm dating a girl who now has a 2 day old kid. What can I do to help? She seems reluctant to ask...

You can do things like ask yourself why the hell you aren't running right now.

Serious answer: Ask her. She will very likely just tell you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So I'm 21 weeks and I have the Diabeetus test coming up on Nov 2nd. The nurse informed me it's a fasting test, which I could have sworn people in this thread said they didn't have to fast for theirs. Anyhow, at midnight, I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything, not even water.

Here's my problem. I am hypothyridic. This means I have to take a thyroid hormone supplement every morning because I don't make any on my own. I don't have a thyroid, actually. Anyhow, this test is based on how well you metabolize glucose, right? If I don't take my pill before I go in for this test, is it going to gently caress up the results?

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm going to call the lab before I go in, but I was curious if anyone else had experience with this.

It is okay to take meds that you cannot _not_ take before a fasting test with a sip or two of water, but that is it. What they don't want you to do is eat food to mess up the test results. I would obviously ask about it and explain the situation, but you should be able to take your meds.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Twatty Seahag posted:

Don't worry, your constipation issues will be solved when you start pushing during delivery. :D

I had someone tell me that she was sick when pregnant but, "felt so much better after about the ninth month!" :downs:

The worstbest part was she wasn't trying to make a joke.

Question:
I currently have zero energy for sex. I hear this changes in the second trimester?

I guess I'm just lucky that my husband has been really understanding. Sleeping for 12 hours a day certainly helps my case.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Please tell me about getting a new eyeglass prescription while pregnant. Is it really that much of an issue? How many appointments do you have to go to? How much do eyes change post-pregnancy?

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Pregnancy is a poo poo sandwich.

:mad:

How accurate were your feelings regarding male/female?

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Mangue posted:

I thought for sure we were having a boy. Everybody around me was/is having girls so I figured I was going to be the one to have the boy. Nope. It's a girl! Shocked but happy. My husband and I are (seemingly) one of the few couples who really don't care what the sex is. I think the only reason I'm slightly more thankful it's a girl is because we have a girl's name picked out and we're having a hard time thinking of a boy's name.

As for the hyperemesis...have you been formally diagnosed? Hyperemesis gravidarium is a serious diagnosis and can potentially be very dangerous. It's NOT normal pregnancy nausea. It can cause severe dehydration and, as the poster above me mentioned, the need to be hospitalized. Meds help but it needs to be monitored to make sure you gain adequate weight and are able to intake adequate nutrition. If you have been formally diagnosed the only thing you can really do is work with your provider to make sure you keep it in check. If you haven't, it is possible that your nausea is pretty bad but just not quite bad enough to be considered HG. Some people can get some pretty gnarly nausea and vomiting but it's still considered completely normal.

Yes, I have been formally diagnosed. It wasn't Dr. Google, either. Previously it was, "we're going to monitor you because you're vomiting excessively. Try this med." Now it is, "You have an actual condition that is harming you." I'm having to go in again next week to have my electrolyte balance checked again. She said that she will hospitalize me for dehydration if it gets worse. She said that my rather sudden weight loss is not harmful to my baby as of yet, but is not good for me at all (almost 15 lbs so far and I'm not even out of the first trimester). I am not experiencing normal pregnancy nausea.

My insurance won't cover the melting Zofran tabs, so I continue to throw up most all of the pills. I'm working on getting an override approved, but that seems to be a slow process.

I definitely have a UTI. I was just wondering about them. I haven't had one since I was a kid, so this is kind of just a miserable experience on top of the constant barfing.

I know I'm going to be okay, but this has not been a good experience so far. I'm not super stressed out because I know that my provider is monitoring me to make sure I am safe. How did you deal with work and hyperemesis?

Twatty Seahag posted:

I am going to say this from a place of concern for you, I am not trying to be catty or bitchy, or a know-it-all. I am sure you are going to think "I don't understand" but I just gave birth 9 months ago and I DO understand to a point. You are very newly pregnant. Your body is going through the changes every woman in history who has ever been pregnant is going through. It can be unnerving and it's really stressful, especially before you find out if the pregnancy is viable.

If you continue to focus on every tiny little issue and negative feeling, you are about to be in for the longest 30+ weeks of your life. You need to relax. If you are already this genuinely stressed out, you really should consider talking to a therapist. Pregnant women ALWAYS seem to get pissed when moms say this, but once you actually have a newborn in your care, your stress level will reach new heights and you need to have a plan in place for dealing with it.

Urinary tract infections are so common in pregnancy that my OB tested urine at every visit for every pregnant patient. It is something that needs to be treated with antibiotics, though, so call the nurses' line if you think you have one.

But I really am going through something that isn't a normal pregnancy issue? I'm not really that stressed out, honestly. I'm a lot less stressed out now that I've met with my actual provider because I know who is going to be making sure I stay as healthy as possible. She actually cares about me and that counts for a lot.

Pregnancy is just sucking a whole lot for me. I'm no longer excited about it, which is normal considering what's going on. I'm not a weepy mess - I don't cry if I burn toast, I don't worry about my appointments, and I don't stress out over small things like laundry. If I start having issues with normal, everyday things, I will definitely take your advice and seek a therapist. I didn't think asking about the condition would start a shitstorm. Lesson learned.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 18, 2011