Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Hey everybody, my wife and I have finally decided that we feel confident enough in our relationship, knowledge/skills, and finances that we can start trying to get pregnant for the first time, so I'll probably be lurking and sometimes posting here over the next year or few.

I did a quick search and didn't see anything (aside from some Canadian posts, I'm in the states) in the first 10 pages about this, but I've heard there are sometimes studies and programs which essentially pay for the whole pregnancy or portions of it if you participate in them. While we have enough funds to do it ourselves, we certainly wouldn't complain about putting all that money toward an education fund for the kid instead, so I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with these things or knows of any of them I could look into for more information. A cursory google search nets me more news articles about surrogates in India than information I can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So...uh....I checked the first couple pages, and I'm sure somebody has asked in the 200+ pages, but I didn't see anything about having sex during pregnancy. My wife just showed me the double lines, and it will be our first. I've heard that there is nothing to worry about, so maybe I'm just being paranoid, but we've been trying for quite a while now and I was planning to surprise her with an exciting erotic getaway together next weekend, but I don't want to "knock it loose" or something if it is risky early on or anything.

AAAAAaaaaaaaaa

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for the advice and info everybody. This is all very exciting. I think I'm going to reschedule our weekend getaway for another time since it probably wouldn't be cost effective or fun to spend the whole time puking!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Seeing as Mother's Day is coming up, and it appears I've made my wife a mom, what are some things any of you ladies wish you had had during pregnancy that I could get her? Are prenatal massages any good? A decorative barf bucket, perhaps? Rocking chair?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Just got back from our first ultrasound. We're having fraternal twins! I can't stop laughing with joy!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks! We're definitely glad it isn't triplets.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Wife is just over 12 weeks now with the twins. Had a big scare last night, she started bleeding pretty bad. We went to the ER and they had us in the waiting room for nearly 3 awful hours, during which time the bleeding stopped. Ultrasound showed absolutely no problems, and the babies are still alive and kicking, thankfully. Nobody has any idea why she started bleeding.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

Hopefully it won't happen again, but don't be shocked if it does. At that stage two of the most common causes are something called a subchorionic hematoma and placenta previa. Both typically resolve on their own without causing any other issues besides scary bleeding, both can be difficult to detect on ultrasound, and both may cause multiple episodes of bleeding. Pelvic rest (no sex, no orgasms, no heavy lifting) is typically helpful at reducing the amount and intensity of bleeding episodes but likely makes no difference in the actual outcome of the pregnancy. Ditto any sort of bed rest. I've bled in every pregnancy so I know how scary it is.

If it helps at all the pregnancy that had the most bleeding by far is the one that gave me my completely healthy daughter. With my two miscarriages the bleeding was comparatively light.

Thanks, I'd been looking up stuff and for some reason couldn't find anything that made me chill out quite as much as this.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Wife just entered third trimester with our twin boys. Everything seems to be going so well that the doctors told us we didn't need to go to the high-risk appointments anymore. Babies have both turned head down, and are training each other for MMA, to the discomfort of my poor lady. Retaining water below her knees occasionally, but doc says it is normal. Something odd that has recently been happening is she will drink some water and then she feels like it just doesn't go down all the way, like she's going to throw up, and she can't lie down for a while and gets very uncomfortable. Does this last thing sound familiar to anyone?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

It's GERD. Try tums and nexium.

Thanks!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So my wife's got this, apparently: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cholestasis-of-pregnancy/basics/definition/con-20032985

We're going in this Thursday for her to get induced and I'll finally meet my boys! That'll be 36 weeks, so...pretty good for twins I hear?

Nerve-racking, though.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Born yesterday at 36 weeks, Jacob Carson and Caleb James, my first kids:

Everything went and is going remarkably smooth! I'm so proud and happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Big Bug Hug posted:

Thats so adorable! But the one on the left looks like a trouble maker ;)

He is! Spent 3 hours in the NCU scaring dad right after being born. Doing great now, though!