Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Well, according to the doctor, I am 4 weeks, 5 days pregnant, already have some mild nausea, but is it normal to be incredibly hungry already? Yesterday I could not eat enough. I'd finish what I had, and be starving almost directly afterward. I am slightly overweight, but these last few months I've been working on my portion control vs. calories daily. Is it normal to already feel like I have a tapeworm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So, I'm only at 8 weeks, and I usually wear a C bra size, almost to a D. I just bought a DD bra that fits perfectly, and if this keeps up, will not fit in two months. Am I going to need a wheelbarrow to cart my tits around? (Everyone has told me that they won't really grow until the last few months, or until milk comes in)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

MoCookies posted:

I've been looking at woolen sleep sacks, but they seem awfully expensive. I'd love to know if they're worth it, hold up even with daily use, etc. I guess a hat + swaddling is the other option?

Do you knit, or know someone who knits? (Or wanna learn?) You can make a knitted sleep sack that would be pretty warm for much less money, but it will cost a bit of time. If your place gets crazy cold, you could even make a felted sleep sack that would keep your Nubbin nice and toasty. There are several patterns online from a simple bag with 'overall' style straps, to hooded contraptions with sleeves and buttons.

I just looked at one that would cost less than $30 (U.S.) to make in a plain wool. If the baby is just sleeping in the wool bag, you make a couple to have a spare for washing days and you wash them properly, they will last until he outgrows them.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

legbeard posted:

Could anyone tell me what kind of restrictions the doctor will put on a pregnant woman for work? I'm single and I found out last week that I'm pregnant. I work in construction, so it is physical work and somewhat hazardous.

I'm just curious what the doctor will let me do and for how long. I gotta work so I can pay for stuff.

I currently work in construction too (home improvement) and have worked some sort of construction for 17 years or so now. I've been given no restrictions at all at and I'm at 16 weeks, but since I've been dealing with this, I'll give you some restrictions YOU should put on yourself (if you haven't already, this is just stuff that I've thought up for myself)

-Water, always with you. Not on the next floor up or down, not in the other room, within arms reach. I go from zero to parched in about 2 seconds. Also goes with this, know where bathrooms or appropriate bathroom spots are, if there isn't one, make one.

-Food. Keep a variety of snacks packed for you. You'll never know what you'll actually want to eat when you are hungry, and you need to eat.

-Try to stay off ladders. If you can't avoid it, use ladders that are tall enough to reach. Not standing on the top rung, but enough 'extra' ladder that you can grab it to steady yourself. Don't walk the loving ladder, ever.

-Avoid all chemicals, solvents, and pipe sweating. Latex paint is ok, but anything else, stay away.

-TAKE IT EASY. I get winded climbing one single flight of stairs now. If you are anything like me, you'll want to keep the same level of ability that you had before you were pregnant, prove you can 'do this' "I can hang", whatever. Don't. You are growing a placenta and a baby. It takes a lot out of you. A lot.

-Look up your state's pregnancy leave laws/rules/regulations and see what they are, and how to make them work for you. I've heard of people getting 'put on pregnancy leave' long before they planned to, when their state's laws say 6 weeks only or something. Your job might be required to put you in the tool truck rather than send you home or something, find it out so you don't get shafted. Possibly pretty up your resume so if you need to, you can try to find a less physical job, but that is entirely up to you.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

legbeard posted:

The shop I'm working for will probably be laying off a bunch of people pretty soon. I'm not sure if I want to tell them yet. Do you think I should? I'm in California. I think the law says that they can't fire you for being pregnant as long as you can do the work. But I'm sure they can still lay me off for other reasons.

I'm super tired after lunch these days. I can barely stay awake on the scissor lift. It's really annoying because this work is usually very enjoyable. WIll I stop getting so tired, or will it just get worse?

I stopped getting tired almost exactly on the 12 week 'day'. Same with the nausea. I'm not entirely sure I'd mention the pregnancy to your bosses yet, maybe see what your doctor says? I guess, don't give them another reason to lay you off when you might float through. I would try to hang on as long as I could. I currently work for my dad (I've worked for his construction business since early high school), so really my job is dependent on whether I can continue to work to his standards, but he also doesn't want to have to train anyone else, ever, even for this, are you SURE you'll need time off to have the baby? So, I'm not really sure what I would do in a different situation.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

legbeard posted:

I announced my pregnancy on Facebook after my appointment and already people are trying to touch my belly. I don't care about being rude though, I just slap their hands and tell them not to touch me. If they can be rude enough to touch me without asking, then I can be rude back.

With people touching me, I'm a combat vet with some PTSD. I can pull that card if I'm ever really uncomfortable with people I don't know touching me. It's kinda nice. I don't have an issue with telling people to get their hands off me, I've gotten used to it.

My big "problem" with my pregnancy is I'm pretty private, and I'll announce poo poo when I'm good and ready. My sister LIVES on facebook, and announced my engagement before I got a chance to, announced my pregnancy after my mom made a post that alluded to it and someone asked, and announced she was on her way to find out the gender of our child when we specifically asked that no one say anything until WE announce it on the FB, so that we were sure everyone who should be called was called. I'm dreading her stupid updates when I'm in labor. I might not tell her until it's too late for her to post anything.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

yawnie posted:

she can't even cope with changes the way she normally would because her hormones will be changing her emotional responses and she may not even be aware of it.

This especially. I am not a very "girly" woman most of the time, but lately I get actually WEEPY at things, especially tiny things that want love or "family drama resolved" type shows. There was a commercial on where they had a bunch of cats with computerized mouths talking about how all they want is a nice lap to lay on and cuddles and a HOME and oh my god I was crying half way through it. I told my husband to get in the car we're going to get ALL THE KITTIES NOW.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So, my husband and I have been narrowing down names for the last several months. Early on in the pregnancy, my mom asked me what we were thinking of for names. I told her one or two that I liked, completely forgetting the crap she pulled with my sister's pregnancy. (Oh, mommy doesn't have a name for you so I'll just call you *Susie* until then) The husband and I have been sitting on one name in particular for a week or two and have decided on it, BUT just yesterday my mom pulled the same thing on me. (Well, you don't have a name yet so I'll just call you Abby). This pissed me off a lot, but if I said anything I would have gotten "oh, i'm just joking".

Now that we have a name for her, I'm not sure how to tell them, I guess. Part of it is still being mad about yesterday, like they don't deserve to know yet, but that's not cool, and I need to get over it. We're having a baby shower at the end of October, and I don't want to wait till then either. So, I guess, how did you 'announce' when you finally figured out a name?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm not really sure if this is an E/N post, or here, but I figured here because it's based on baby stuff.

My sister is throwing my baby shower. There was never any doubt or negotiation about it. She also threw HER OWN shower with her kid, because then it would be the way she wanted it. I have a very simple, give-no-shits attitude about my occasions, and I don't really like being the center of attention for too long. I thought my sister understood that, but it is becoming obvious that this is not the case, as it was when she helped set up my wedding.

Yesterday was her daughter's 2nd birthday. I've STILL been working 40-50 hour weeks, on my feet at 30 weeks pregnant, and STRESSING about the fact that we still don't have any sort of medical insurance, and the county is dragging us along on assistance. I haven't had time to think about what to buy her daughter, or when I could actually haul my rear end off of the couch and buy something for her. Plus, I really got told about the party about 3 days before it happened. I just got this text from her this morning:

"Ok, I didn't want to say anything and seem greedy, but it's still bothering me. It hurts my feelings that you also didn't get *child* anything for her birthday. If it's a money thing you could have made her something or got her something from the dollar store and she would have been thrilled. I kind of feel like "here I am throwing you and elaborate expensive baby shower AND buying you baby gifts (even though we're broke as hell) and you couldn't get my daughter anything for her bday?!" I know I don't have to get you anything or spend lots of money, but I do it because I want to. So it hurts that you and (cheap rear end family memebers) didn't want to get *Child* anything"

And now I kinda want to say, "you know what, gently caress it. I didn't ask for some elaborate and expensive shower, and I loving asked you NOT TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OR SPEND TOO MUCH, and now you're holding it over my head because your 2 year old didn't get another gift?" but that would cause EVEN more problems.

I love my sister, and normally we get along great, we have usually an awesome relationship, but this has really pissed me off. I'm not entirely sure how to deal, and now I have a forbidding feeling the whole shower is going to be not what I wanted, and I'm going to resent the whole thing because it's not what I want, but what my sister THINKS I SHOULD want.

(I have been planning to buy a gift for the niece, I just needed a day off to do it, like today...)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I did get a gift for my niece today, as I've always planned to, and I told my sister the whole situation when she texted me. She's known of our insurance difficulties and my work hours/exhaustion. She "felt bad for *niece*" even though she's "too young to understand why auntie didn't get her a gift".

I was (and still am) mainly pissed at the fact that she's holding something I specifically asked her not to do over my head, and now I know that I'm going to be sitting through an elaborate shower that is what she wants me to want, rather than what I want. And she'll put it all on Facebook. But, calling the shower off and throwing it myself would cause huge problems in the family, so I'm just gonna have to suck it up and deal. I'm just full of pregnancy and stupid and it's kinda hard to take right now.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm at 30 weeks now, and have a molar that is hurting badly. It's infected and needs to be pulled. I'm concerned about the risks of getting the tooth pulled (x-rays, novicaine, pain relief after the extraction), but the pain is really bad and I can't sleep or eat, and an infection could cause problems for me and the baby. Which is the better option, take the risks of the extraction, or 'deal' with the pain and infection until the baby is born?

Everyone says, "oh, just ask your OB". I am poor, I have to go to a practice of doctors. The doctor walks in, and asks me how I think the pregnancy is going while they read my chart, then they listen to the heartbeat and measure me and send me on my way. I don't have "my doctor" and there is no advice nurse to call and ask questions. I'm about at my wits end, here guys.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So, I FINALLY stopped working at 32 weeks and the last day of work was a doozy. I know I overdid it, and had a pretty sore back for a few days. But, I pretty much convinced myself I kick rear end at being pregnant, I am awesome, construction woman working till 8 months hear me roar, etc. Then, yesterday, I cleaned the bathroom. A tiny little bathroom, and the effort from slightly bending to clean the toilet made my back start up again. (I have had a bad-ish back since I was 19 and I injured it in the military, no preterm labor worries here!)

I injured myself cleaning the toilet. I feel like a freaking invalid, and I'm really taking this a lot harder than I thought I would. I actually started crying trying to explain it to my husband, and I'm disgusted with myself whenever it hurts when I try to move. I can't even do the dishes today, and I'm not quite sure how to convince myself everything is ok with sitting on my butt all day.

EDIT: Ok, I got better. My back still hurts some, but I've taken it easy today and still actually gotten some things done, and got some more sleep so I'm not such a whiny child.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 12, 2011

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

Any other ladies working a physically taxing job while pregnant? I'm about to enter into my third trimester and I waitress at a fast pace, high volume restaurant in downtown Chicago and it's kicking my butt. I'm finally upgrading to maternity pants but it's almost impossible for me to pull the 14 hour doubles and running around I'm used to. Right now my manager was cool enough to put me on just three days a week, single shifts but It's frustrating to not be able to make as much money as I'm used to.

Any advice? Home remedies? My last shift left me completely wiped with achey back, sore feet, and my baby practicing martial arts all night so I couldn't sleep.

I stopped working my job at 32 weeks. I worked construction and installation jobs. I can now barely keep my house clean. I hurt my back cleaning the toilet and had to spend the next day on the couch. I've hung sheetrock and stuff by myself. It's just going to get "harder". I can't spend more than 20 minutes or so on my feet or I start to get light headed, can't bend or lift anything.

The only advice I can give you is find out what you can do to keep up your income. There are no home remedies for the fact your body is exhausted from everything it's doing. See if you can get a doctor to give you short term disability, because you literally cannot keep up 14 hour shifts and expect to wake up the next day able to do it again. I know it sucks, and I feel like I can't do anything by myself anymore, but you're coming in on the home stretch.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sarsaparilla posted:

That's actually pretty comforting to hear. One of the girls I work with worked until like two weeks before her due date - which I can't even fathom! And I was feeling kind of like a wimp barely able to keep up with it almost 7 months in.

Don't ever let anyone make you feel wimpy. If you're anything like me, you'll do enough of that on your own. I had too many people pull the, "well, I worked up until the due date!". That's nice, you're not me. Every single person is different. I can't even tie my shoes without getting winded now, and it's funny as hell. I'm a drat veteran and I have to buy Crocs or some poo poo cause laces are too hard.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Banana Cat posted:

So for those of you who stopped working in the third trimester and don't have any other kids yet...what do you do all day?

I had a couple of days of crazy clean everything, and then my body told me to sit the gently caress down. I hurt my back cleaning the toilet. Now, like others have said, I'll do the dishes from the night before, toss in a load of laundry, and I don't feel bad if I sit the rest of the day. But, I get BORED too. I am working on knitting the baby's blanket, so there's that to keep me busy, and I'm cooking a lot of "toss this on the stove and ignore it most of the day" meals. So I'm "cooking" all day, even though I'm not standing there. I've made a ring sling for later, and I might start making other things, and I'm SLOWLY working on cleaning out the master bedroom so we can move in. (former roommates left their stuff) I've 'decorated' for Halloween, and I'll probably make some stuff to decorate for Thanksgiving, because my husband gets all cute when I decorate and he comes home and discovers it.

I probably spend too much time on the computer, but Netflix is a savior right now, cause I can watch something and knit so I'll feel "productive" instead of "I sat on my rear end and watched 'How It's Made' all day".

As to your questions about deciding on quitting work, my decision was kinda made for me. I 'worked' with my dad, and we needed to wait until there was a competent replacement for me. I worked up to 32 weeks, and I really should have stopped earlier (exhausted every night, couldn't even cook dinner tired). But, I would have gone mental without the job, and honestly even though I was so tired and worked too hard, I think that staying on my feet and doing the work gave me a much healthier pregnancy than if I had stayed home.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Doom Catcher posted:

And since I know next to nothing about reading glasses... Should I pick up a cheap drugstore pair to hold me over til the baby is born?

If you can find a pair that you're comfortable with, go for it, but they've always been not close enough for me. I have a really mild prescription, and drugstore glasses are never quite right and make me dizzy. Dizzy is the last thing you need right now.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So, Emily Rose made her grand entrance on saturday, November 19th, 3 days before MY birthday. 38 weeks along, and she is only 5lbs 15oz. She's doing well, and I'm doing great.

I feel kinda bad talking about my labor after The Young Marge's, but that's what this thread is for, I guess.

Water broke at 3:30am (felt a 'snap', and nothing happened for 30 minutes or so until there was a dribble when I tried to go pee), woke the husband up at 4, he showered and we took our sweet rear end time getting to the hospital. (First baby, this is gonna be a long day, right?)

Hospital at 6, in the room and on the monitor at 6:30am, internal check shows 3cm and 90% effaced, whatever, get out the knitting and board games. The nurse gets us breakfast trays and we eat, then get set to walk around and "get this labor moving".

As I'm getting ready to walk out the door of the room, a contraction hits and I get a wave a nausea. I didn't want to leave the room and puke on myself, so I send my husband down to the car to get a book for me, and start walking around the room. He gets back, and the next contraction makes me puke in the bathroom sink. After the puking, each contraction is hell. I haven't had any drugs to this point. The nurse comes in, I wanted drugs, and she says she'll get me checked out.

They put me on an IV, midwife checks me at 9:30ish and I'm at 7cm! Then they proceed to drag rear end around for nearly an hour before giving me my goddamn Fentanyl. This only took the edge off the contractions, but they were bareable again. Somewhere around 11 or so I get the very sudden urge of pushing while the contraction happens and the drugs have already worn off. The nurse checks me, and the baby is "right there". She hauls rear end off to get the midwife and everyone, and Emily was born shortly afterward, at 11:24am. I have a first degree tear with some stitches, but doing alright.

My only issue so far is worrying about breastfeeding. I'm scared she's not getting enough, she isn't latching onto one side because the nipple is wonky, etc, but we have her ped's appointment tomorrow, so that should help my fears. I'll post a picture as soon as I get back onto my own computer.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
My kid is 7 weeks old now, and things are going great (she's gassy as hell, but starting to "work it out" on her own), except for twice this week she has thrown up. Like, not spit up a little, but actual heaving throwing up. Each time she has readily nursed right after the barfing, and she's been alert, normal, and making wet diapers just like normal. I don't remember specifics of the last time, but the time this morning we were laying down side-nursing, she had eaten quite a while, and she either got a bit of milk in the wrong pipe or gagged on a bit, and up it came in two big heaves. It even sounded like she heaved a bit before it came up. I'm pretty sure it was because she "choked" on some milk, and kid's reaction to choking is to puke it out of the way, plus she was full and hadn't been burped yet, AND was laying down.

I'm still worried a bit though, because my teeny baby threw up :-(

Should I take her to the doctor, mention it during her check up on the 23rd, or just keep my eye on her for it to happen more frequently? I don't want to wig out about it. She's nursed several times since this morning with no spit up at all, so it's not like she's puking each time she eats.

(I never posted a picture of her after she was born either, so here you go)

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 10, 2012

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I worked a very physical job and stopped working at 32 weeks. My boss(dad) had to find a suitable replacement, and that person left another job to take my place. Once I had Em (the baby), I couldn't exactly go back and say "well dude, sucks to be you, give me my job back".

So I stay home for now. My husband just took a job that pays nearly twice what he was making, plus I can cook cheap food into something healthy and delicious instead of working 12 hour days, so right now, we're actually taking home more than when both of us were working. We're still poor as poo poo, but we're paying our bills, and money is actually going into the bank, so that's good. If I needed to work again, my degree would be worthless (CAD and drafting) because I've been out of that job market for nearly 4 years, I'd have to work something entry level, retail, or watching kids or something.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Bank posted:

I'm thinking about room temperature, and realized that our room is consistently at 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit, sometimes lower.

We keep our room at 62 degrees now, not because of the baby, but because I was freezing my rear end off feeding her with no shirt on at 58 degrees (if we raised the temp any more, I wouldn't be able to sleep). We use either the fleece sleepy sacks or some fleece footy PJ's and mitten each night. She's usually quite warm in that, and if I'm really worried she's cold, I also swaddle her in a light cotton blanket. You don't have to heat the room to 75 just because there is a baby in there, but make sure everyone is comfortable with where the temperature is.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Simple question: does anyone have any sourced information about the effects of marijuana on pregnant women and their children? I'm in a lifespan psychology course right now, and our textbook (published in 2008) doesn't list it as a harmful substance, but another handout (published in 1985) we got does, so I'm curious if it has since been found to not actually be a cause of complications for the baby. My instincts tell me "of course it's harmful, dummy," but relying on instincts is hardly a proper scientific approach. The things I'm finding on Google merely state "studies show that it [is/isn't] harmful]" without actually linking said studies, and I'm loathe to take that at face value.

I don't smoke, so I'm not looking for a specific answer here, but the teacher of my class has been empirically wrong several times so far in the past two weeks and I don't trust her very halfhearted answer.

There are very few studies, and none of them large studies for the effects of marijuana or THC on the developing fetus. No one will touch that sort of thing for a study or funding. But, with most drugs and such, there are clear effects of too much usage while pregnant (FAS, crack babies, low birth weight for caffeine and cigarettes, etc). From all my research, there has never been an "effected" baby where the problems can be traced back solely to weed/THC.

Many people know someone who smoked while pregnant, and the "kid came out fine", while the other half of people know someone who was at a party and people smoked outside and they got a whif of the smoke "and now the kid is autistic".. I'm pretty convinced that if THC/weed was a problem-causer in pregnancy, we would have heard ALL about it by now. Instead all we get are vague threats about "it's a drug, drugs are bad"

(of course, none of this actually answers your question at all, but I've been researching for months now, and can't find anything solid at all.)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

On the subject of Moby, can any similarly large-breasted ladies manage to nurse in this thing? I've tried, but there's just no room.

I do nurse in the Moby, with the baby tied up like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Tn-vtLFic&feature=related I usually tie the ends behind my back, and that seems to hold her pretty securely. I haven't been able to manage any other type of nursing carry yet either because she hates it, or it doesn't work with boobs bigger than a B cup. I like this because it's a bit more adjustable, rather than just cramming the kid against your tit and letting her sort it out.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Did cats bother your newborn?

We have two cats who sleep ON US AT ALL TIMES and I was concerned about that too. What we did:

While pregnant, let them check out all the baby stuff, I even let them lay on the crib because I didn't want them to have a complex about the baby's stuff. I would immediately shoo them off of baby clothes or blankets, though.

After the baby came home, one cat is terrified of her when she moves or makes noise. He'll come up and gingerly sniff her while one of us is holding her, but she moves or coos at him, he runs off. He will leave the room if she cries. The other cat LOVES the baby's fluffy blankets, but can tell the difference of when the baby is in the blanket or not. No baby - she'll lay on the blankets, baby - she stays off of them. One of the first days home my husband was holding the baby and the cat walked over and tried to lay on the baby/blanket combo. We shooed her off, and she's never done it since. If she can't see the baby in the blanket she'll do the "foot test" to check before she lays down. She does like to walk around the edge of the crib when the baby is in the crib, but she stays off the baby. I would just play it by ear with your cats. See how they react when you bring the baby home.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Bank posted:

Aside from potential sea-sickness, is there anything else I should be concerned about when she's on the ship?

WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS. Viruses spread like crazy on ships. You don't have to do everything, or anything on the cruise. Relax as much as she wants, no scuba diving, and watch out for the fact that most of the drinks the people carry around on trays are alcoholic. Enjoy your trip! (if you tell the waiters in the dining room it's your honeymoon they'll sing and make fun of you, but you'll get a free dessert!)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Papercut posted:

Now we're trying to populate the baby shower registry and I would love any suggestions people have.

We have gotten so much mileage out of a baby swing. Em is 7 1/2 months now, and she still takes the majority of her naps in it. It's like a baby coma machine.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

sheri posted:

For example-- my husband and I are closing on a house in 2 weeks. We'd like to paint some rooms and obviously have some furniture to move. Can I help with the painting and lifting of heavy furniture?

If you're not moving furniture for work daily, I wouldn't do it while you were pregnant. My job was all carrying and heavy lifting, and I still had to take it easy. Maybe carrying lighter boxes, but anything you have to "urf" while you lift would be too heavy.

As for paint, that is up to you. Latex paint has fumes, but they are mild and unless you paint several coats in a closed bathroom and spend all day in there you should be fine. If you paint a bedroom with the doors and windows open and go out of the paint fume room for breaks you should be fine. If you are not comfortable with it, DONT' DO IT. you have the perfect excuse for not painting.

sheri posted:

How long/many weeks pregnant were all of you before you started to "feel" pregnant?

My husband and I were "not actively preventing children" but not really trying yet when the day I was supposed to start my period it didn't start that morning. Oh well, sometimes off a day, whatever. The whole day I felt vaguely "off". not dizzy in the head or tummy.. but buzzy I guess. I took a test the next morning and it was positive. So I guess I felt pregnant then, and that's why I took the test instead of waiting for my period to show up.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I just did a quick Google bomb and it appears most pages reccomend 600-800 mcg's or whatever it is for Folic. Maybe you could look up the webpage for that research hospital and see if it says anything there?

EVERYONE: Bumbo is doing a voluntary "recall" where you go to the website and fill out a form to get a lap belt sent for your Bumbo chair(s). Evidently, babies are "working themselves out of the chair" and getting hurt when the chair is "on the floor or unspecified heights". So, write in an get a belt, and NEVER use the chair on high surfaces OR without DIRECT, ATTENTIVE supervision.

http://recall.bumbousa.com/

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Alterian posted:

She actually told us if she was about to have sex with a guy for the first time and he wasn't circumcised, she'd leave. I thought that was a bit over the top.

I've been with both types of penises, and it's not a big deal. The unaltered kind was a bit novel (United States), but there was no difference in utility. She sounds like she might have a few issues regarding perceived cleanliness and such. (I would have LOUDLY asked her why she was so obsessed with my son's penis in the first place)

My husband and I talked about it when Em was still a nubbin and we didn't know, and although he is circumcised, we decided that we would not if we had a son. He was even more adamant about it than I was. It was for the reasons already outlined in the thread, that there is no medical reason strong enough to outweigh the procedure and its side effects.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

FengShuiNinja posted:

If you can eat small meals, it helps a ton. Small meals didn't help me at all. Staying hydrated and eating sour things such as oranges or eating mints helped me. My nausea was terrible, but I wouldn't throw up because I always had a pocketful of mints on hand and would non-stop eat oranges.

Some folks also have heartburn and nausea at the same time. Has anyone experienced that? If so, what did you choose to alleviate the heartburn?

I snacked almost constantly and I had enough costco-brand Tums to supply a branch of the armed forces. I tried to avoid stuff that would cause the heartburn, but it was what I CRAVED, and it got to the point where water would cause heartburn. I gave up on avoiding anything and just ate what I wanted in small portions

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
This is going to sound really dumb, and I was pretty tired of everyone asking me, "have you tried x?" (X= EVERYTHING I had already tried) But it can't hurt.

Have you started wearing a different type of pants or belt? Or are your pants fitting different now? I started wearing my toolbelt lower on my hips when it would bother my belly when I was working, and the pain in my sciatic nerve was KILLING ME. This went on for a week or two until I had a day where I didn't wear the belt and I wore different pants, it was like MAGIC.

If you have already looked at your wardrobe, I'm sorry, and I hope you find out what is bugging you.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

How often do people get surprises where the baby looked like a boy on the ultrasound but turned out to be a girl? I've heard that that's far less common than the other way around (boy that looked like a girl) but I'm starting to wonder. So far Li'l Neo keeps looking prrrrobably like a boy...but not positioning himself so that the ultrasound gets a really definitive view of a penis.

At least we're more decided on a backup girl's name than on a boy's name! My husband had a kick-rear end Communist vegetarian Lithuanian radical great-grandmother who we figure is a good name source.

My sister's sister in law had that happen with her first daughter, who is now ... eight? I think. They had a few ultrasounds, and each time they said that it would be a boy. Baby comes out, girl.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Honestly, babycenter.com has a sign up where you put your baby's birthdate in, and they send you weekly emails with stuff like "is your baby crawling yet?, most babies crawl between 8-10 months but if your kid doesn't he's still totally normal and blahaljvapofia;dnerfav;l" It is kinda helpful for the little stuff like teeth and clapping hands and such.

As far as other 'mechanics' of having a baby, where are you? You can come to my place and change a diaper and get teethed on.

EDIT: changed "baby.com" to "babycenter.com"

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 11, 2012

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

I'm going to try my best to make it through today, but I pretty much have labor and delivery on speed-dial, so if I start cramping again, I'll give them a ring. My husband and MIL keep telling me that I'll instinctually know when I'm in labor, but I'm not so sure. It's very frustrating.

I had mild contractions and my water had a slow leak. The hospital "let me try" to labor for 4 hours because they thought the contractions weren't strong enough. I had no clue either. I was at seven cm and in transition when they checked me again to see if I'd made any progress. The only thing I instinctively knew was when pushing started.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

tse1618 posted:

old man.... I volunteer with..... my "condition"... not my doctor.

I don't know how you feel about doing this sort of thing, but do you have a volunteer coordinator or someone "in charge"? What he's doing is basically sexual harassment, because pregnancy is a female only type of thing. You could talk to the coordinator about and and tell them the truth, you can't wait for the end of the season so you don't have to deal with this condescending idiot. He might just need a talk from someone in charge to say that what he's doing isn't cool, and if he doesn't stop he'll be prevented from attending or something.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I haven't seen anything against getting a flu shot in any stage of pregnancy that wasn't on a non-vaxxer website. Not even a "oh, it's a calculated risk" type thing. There are many many drawbacks to getting the flu while pregnant, and even more to getting the flu in the early parts of pregnancy. Just like skeetied said, let them know you're pregnant, and they'll give you the shot with the dead virus. My doctor made sure that I knew not to let them give me the "nasal spray" version of the shot.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
For the last 4 months of my pregnancy I had a pair of salad tongs on the dryer, so I could reach all the way to the bottom of the washer. My belly meant I couldn't get all the clothes out of the washer. I also had to wear a apron while washing dishes because I'd pour water all over my gut.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Lyz posted:

If I have a girl the gender confusion will be a pain though.

It doesn't matter WHAT color they are wearing, people will still get it wrong, and then act MORTIFIED that they did when they find out. My kid is bald. She is also, however, EXTREMELY girly looking. I've taken her out in PINK sparkle blue jeans, pink glitter shoes, and a pink jacket with little animals on it and people go, "oh he's so cute, how old is he?" "oh, she's almost a year, her name is Emily".

"OH MY GOD I'M SO SORRY... "

EDIT(to avoid potential conflict): I do not care if my kid is girly or dudely growning up. I am very much a tomboy, and I don't care what gender she portrays or what gender she marries as long as I get to make SOMEONE in that marriage a dress.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 24, 2012

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Lullabee posted:

So according to all the books/websites/emails - by 26 weeks you should've gained around 16-20 lbs.,, I'm still a week and 3 days from 26 weeks, but I'm no where near that weight. I lost 7 lbs in the first trimester ... Is it because I was/am fat...

Depending on your "starting weight", the amount of weight you're "supposed" to gain can vary. If you're at a normal weight, they say you should gain between 15-30 lbs. If you're overweight, you're supposed to gain 0-15, and if you're really overweight you're not supposed to gain at all. I've seen skinny chicks gain 80lbs while pregnant, while I started out at 193 and gained 17lbs. (6 of those in the first 2 months... ) I'd say just eat healthy, and eat whatever you want, and don't worry about it at all as long as you and the baby are doing fine. I fretted about my weight in the first trimester, but I was ALWAYS HUNGRY. I ate more than my dad did.

If you're eating healthier than you did, and gently exercising now (or more than you did), you could be actually losing a bit of weight while the baby is gaining.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

sudont posted:

I attribute this to my prenatal, but I could be wrong. The iron in them gives them a definite metal taste and it lingers for me! It's gone now for the most part.

I took my prenatals at night, right as I was going to bed. I'm sure I still got weird metallic burps and nausea, but I was asleep so I didn't notice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Hastings posted:

And thirdly, what is the best way to kill and hide the body of a stranger who approaches me and massages my belly without asking?

A good shovel and a bag of lime. Seriously though, people are complete dicks about touching bellies. I have PTSD (ESPECIALLY with strangers touching me) and I flat out told people that their touching me was really raising my stress levels which is bad for the baby. Every single one of them would get ultra defensive, like I was the dick for calling them out for caressing a stranger's bathing suit zone. I finally just started petting their cheeks or hair for the length of time they were touching me.