Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

My husband got orders to deploy in a few months, and he'll be gone for a while. We're both devastated, even though we knew this was coming. He's been in the military for 10 years, and this was the longest he's been home (two years). He's going to miss a lot of firsts. First tooth, word, steps and birthday. I'm going to make sure to take a ton of pictures and videos and hopefully we'll be able to Skype. I'm going to make sure that our son sees a photo or video if him every day, and I'll remind him constantly that that's his daddy. My biggest fear is that my husband will come home and Stephen won't recognize him.

You can do this, it freaking sucks, but you can do it. Even if you're going to be away from his normal duty station, look into his unit's FRG (Family Readiness Group) or something similar. Usually it's run by the wife of someone higher up in the command, but they'll send out emails on what's going on, hold holiday parties, stuff like that. They usually have 'connections' that can get info passed along faster than normal if you need help with something, or need to get info to your husband. Even if you don't see them in person, it's usually a lot of women who are going through exactly what you are going through and can help you out and talk to you. You should have plenty of opportunities to Skype and talk to your husband as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

General question here for those a few weeks/months post-partum - when did you start taking your kids out in public? Was this based on your own comfort, or were you given particular guidelines by your pediatrician?

Em was born in the midst of cold and flu season, so the doctor said to try to keep her out of crowds for at least two months. We used her as an excuse to miss church for two months. I would still go to the store, but I would be wearing her or she would be in a carrier in the cart. We went to a friend's party, family gatherings, and restaurants and stuff like that where either people would stay away when asked, or would wash their hands first when asked.

I would use your own comfort, if you think people are going to be all over you and want to check your kid out, don't go.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

sheri posted:

Ok, I want to start by saying I'm fully aware that I sound like a mostly crazy person, but I'm going to ask anyway.

My husband and I are going to be traveling by trainfro
Chicago to Las Vegas to attend my sisters wedding. That puts me at 19-20 weeks pregnant. Now I am wondering if for whatever reason the train is really bumpy it can cause any sorts of issues. Anything to worry about as far as issues that an overly bumpy ride might cause.

The trip is 30ish hours one way.

I did not travel by train while pregnant, but I have traveled by train, and it's not really "bumpy" like a truck or bus, but more of a "rocking" if that makes sense? You still get jostled about, but I wouldn't be too concerned about any issues. Make sure to bring lots to do, and snacks, and try to find a comfortable way to sit/lie down!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Seven for a Secret posted:

Question for those of you who've done this before: my husband's brother is getting married 2.5 weeks before my due date, and my husband is the best man. The wedding is a 3 hour drive away, and the ceremony will be outdoors in late July in a southern state. Obviously this won't be super comfortable for a hugely pregnant person, but I'd really like to go if possible. Should I give up and decline now, or can I wait and see how I'm doing closer to the wedding? I plan to ask my OB about this closer to the date, but does anyone have a feel for how likely it is that I'll be able to go that close to my due date?

If you are still pregnant: I wouldn't go, but being that your husband kinda has to be there, I'd drive up at least a day before and make yourself comfy in the hotel/family member's house with TV/kindle and snacks. I wouldn't attend the wedding, but make your husband keep his cellphone on in case you need him. Then everyone can be all excited when he runs out of the church/ceremony site yelling "I'm gonna be a daddy!". Then, if the reception is air conditioned or in a cooler location, go to that and sit the whole time and make people bring you cake. Have a family member to bring you back to your room/place you are staying if you get tired. Then, drive home the next day or later. Also, check with your insurance and see what hospitals in the area you would want to go to if you needed to or your water broke or something.

If you've had the baby and everyone is home: can your husband do his speech by skype or something? Then he's still doing his duty without you being home with a newborn. Add the skype thing to the still pregnant bit too.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Bubble Babble posted:

On a somewhat different note, how on earth do you pick out a name for your baby?

My husband and I created THE LIST. We would each add names to the list that we had heard, read, or liked somewhere without discussion. Every couple of days we'd go through the list together and delete names that we decided we didn't like, or that one of us had an objection to (I knew a girl named that in school...) So, we'd keep adding and deleting until we got it down to about 12 names. Then we each took the list and re-wrote it in order of our preferences. Any names that matched bottom positions in our lists were removed, and I think we had one name that I LOVED but he had as #10. There was a bit of intense negotiation on that, and eventually we went with the name that was #3 for me and #1 for him (Emily Rose). I had Emma as #2, so there was a bit of give and take on that one. It worked for us, because it gave us each a chance to submit names for 'approval' without the other person there to go "Really, that name?". And by the time we'd go through the list in the beginning, we'd possibly forgotten which one of us had listed a name (at one point it was 75+ names long) so we couldn't get pissy about "stupid" names on the list.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
If you both want to use the same carrier, you can look into a Moby wrap, or a woven wrap. Or a ring sling. But you never know if your baby will like them. If you know someone who has one, ask them to let you try it?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Greycious posted:

I'm trying to purchase one of the baby items I find most confusing, and just want some input.

This is the car seat I think I've decided to go with: http://amzn.com/B005V9OKSI
(Graco Snugride 35 Infant Car Seat)

We have this car seat. I had the same reasons for getting it. My kid is 20lbs SOAKING WET and doesn't fit anymore. This thing is loving HEAVY. It is HUGE. It doesn't fit IN about half of the shopping carts we encounter. The little car seat sling things they have at restaurants? Fits in like.. half of them. We've already moved on to a convertible car seat ( This One!) that will do rear facing from 5-40lbs and then front facing beyond that until she gets her license. It is convenient to have a carrier/car seat, but this one saps all the convince right out of it. Get whatever will work with your stroller/swing/babyfood maker system, and then move up to a convertible seat.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

MockTurtle posted:

Well apparently I have a hematoma so I'm now in chair duty until further notice (I'm 22 weeks). I work in retail and we attempted to make that work but the result was laughable so I'm home now, currently serving out day 2 and I'm already going nuts. I don't know how fully bedrested people do it. It's a good thing these babies are gonna be cute!

(And sudont, I do the FTM thing too. Even though I know what they want it to stand for I always read it wrong in my brain!)

Learn to knit. Make cute-rear end baby clothes. Seriously, learn to knit. I'll drive over and teach you.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

Anyone else stop bleeding before 6 weeks pp but then start again AT 6 weeks? I stopped around 5 weeks for 4-5 days only to have it start up again on wednesday. My activity level went up because we had a stretch of great weather, so that may have something to do with it. My GP said to just keep an eye on it but that it's normal. Still. Very annoying.

Lullabee, when did you start shedding? I'm near 7 weeks pp and my hair is still a fabulous mane.

I stopped at 5w3d, had like, 4 days of no bleeding, and it started up again at EXACTLY 6 weeks. My doctor just said, "Oh, it's your period". I've had a 32 day cycle ever since, and that's with breastfeeding exclusively. Stupid rear end period.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
This year he's getting a new laptop because his computer is crap, last year he got a 'brew your own beer' kit that we still haven't used. Rick likes getting tools and stuff for work, so getting him something 'fun' is as close as we get to 'touching sentimental gift' for him.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
RE: Hair dying. This is one of those things where no one knows IF it will hurt the baby. No one wants to test it, so they just say "be cautious" and let you decide. There's people who would worry over EVERY SINGLE EXPOSURE to any chemical ever, and people who figure we get exposed to a lot during our daily life so a little bit more can't hurt.

MY OPINION on it is that if you're not drinking the hair dye or putting it directly into your eyes, occasional dying is really not an issue. Hair dye would be one of those things that you're seriously warned about if it was causing lots of problems. If you're concerned, maybe see if they can do a non-peroxide or semi-permanent color so it's less harsh? Or just wait, if you'd be worried by the fact that we don't really know how or if it effects the baby.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I would buy one TOMORROW. My sister just found out she was pregnant with #3 and we're all ecstatic. Plus that stuff is ADORABLE.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

Holy gently caress Mother-In-Law

Does your husband's unit have a Family Readiness Group? Get a hold of them, and explain your situation. They might even have someone you can stay with in Tuscon while you get your own place set up. She has no reason to talk to you like that other than to be an rear end. She also has no idea of the stress you're under with your husband being gone so long.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

MockTurtle posted:

This is a super downer so I'm sorry in advance for killing the YAY BABIES vibe, but does anyone have experience or advice about visiting ICU with babies? My dad is currently in the hospital and we don't know that he is going to make it out again. He is obviously taking it hard and he is especially regretful about not getting to hold the babies before he went in. He is concerned about passing and not ever getting to hold them. It's a very hard position because it breaks my heart that he feels that way but at the same time I am concerned about the well being of the babies. I know he doesn't have anything that is communicable but I don't know how risky it is with other patients possibly on the floor since there are 8 beds. We are already bringing them to the hospital every day since I have to be there, they are just staying in the waiting room until I'm needed.

Like everyone else said, talk with his nurses to see what they can do. They may even be able to cart your dad and all of his equipment to another room for a few hours so you can all hang out and not be bothered by the noises of the ICU and he can hold the babies.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Or even hire a 'helper' off of craigslist or whatever is in your area. Anything is going to be better than a group of people who either can't help you, or refuse to and emotionally blackmail you. Even someone to come in for a half day and cook and clean while you hang out with the baby/kids.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

PapFinn posted:

Also, are there any goon parent tips for humidifiers? I was going to check out Walmart after work today after doing a little research last night. I'm not sure what they'll have in stock, but it didn't seem like a buying decision to stress over beside choosing a filtered or non-filtered model.

We have both a "hot steam" and an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier and it does make a bit of a difference on how the room feels and care for the humidifier itself is different depending on the type.

The hot steam one makes our room a little bit warmer, it isn't very noisy but the noise isn't exactly constant white noise, and there is very little care for the humidifier because it boils all the poo poo out of the water while it works. Just fill it up and dump out the old water every once in a while. A MAJOR con for the hot steam type is that they are hot. duh. I 'tested' the steam about a foot out from the nozzle and it was hot as poo poo. It could easily burn the crap out of a child, so if you're planning to use this in your daughter's room when she's older, you'll need to find a good high up sturdy place for it.

The ultrasonic one wasn't much more expensive (like $19 for the hot one and $25 for the cool one), it makes our daughter's room cooler. This one requires more care. You need to rinse it weekly and clean it with bleach at least monthly so it doesn't spray mildew water all over the room. If you have hard water it can leave sticky mineral dust all over all your stuff. But, and this is what sold us on it, it is cool. You can stick your hand right in it and it won't burn the kid. It is 'noisy', but it is a constant high drone hiss noise, and our kid didn't have an issue adjusting to it.

Both seemed to help out equally when our daughter was super congested and waking up all the time to cough.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Don't bring anything to the hospital that isn't edible. People brought me boppy pillows, flowers, balloons, and we were in a room with two other women with the little curtains dividing our beds and there was no room for ANYTHING AT ALL. If they specifically ask you to bring something for them, bring it, but any gifts can wait until they're home.

After that, food. Food that is just tossed in the oven/crockpot/whatever. Nothing that requires work. Come over and do the dishes so mom can sit and hold the baby. Too many moms/grandmas come over and "Oh, I'll HOLD THE BABY FOR YOU, while you do things." gently caress that, do things for them, then leave.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ambystoma posted:

How long, (if ever) does it take for your ribcage to close back in after delivery? Mine is shifting back to it's rightful position at the top pretty well, but the bottom half is still kinda splayed out and weird at 5 weeks postpartum and it's oddly sore and looks drat strange - I'm not going to be stuck like this am I? :ohdear:

My ribs went back, but not back to normal. I still had a bit of a 'flare' at the bottom edge, but my bra band size went back to normal and all my old clothes fit. I'm kinda big and barrel chested anyways, but if you're skinnier it may change your silhouette a little.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I would do all I can to avoid having a baby in the front seat (this doesn't cover buying a new car), but if that's what you have, you work with it. One of our daily drivers is a pickup with only a front seat, and we would use it if needed to transport our daughter. (airbags off, of course)

If you could tweak schedules, trade cars at work as one of you leaves to get the kid, whatever to avoid having a rear facing seat in the truck, that would probably be best. I don't have studies to back up my feelings, but it seems like that would be the most dangerous type of seat to have in the front (just because of the amount of space they cover).

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
According to HealthCare.gov, insurance can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions in any way. We had that problem with my first pregnancy, if we could have afforded my husband's work's insurance it wouldn't have covered the pregnancy in any way because I was 5 months pregnant when it kicked in. (turns out it didn't cover maternity care ANYWAYS, but that whole situation was hosed)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

lol internet. posted:

What is the "standard" coverage by most companies? and how much do you pay each month? It seems like a lot, even under a companies benefit?

Also, what are the chances of them making up some excuse to fire her when they find out she's pregnant?

edit: Amykinz, so how much did you end up paying out of your pocket? Or how did your situation turn out?

We are a one income household, and California allows you to make twice their normal medicaid cutoff income while pregnant, so I was covered by medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) for the duration of my pregnancy. We still owed a few thousand dollars out of pocket because the month I found out I was pregnant I had to go to the ER for bleeding, and that month we got our tax return back so technically our income that month was over the cutoff so we're responsible for the entire ER visit.

This time we're covered through the state healthcare marketplace with a 'tax credit' to help with costs because we still make under a certain amount, and we actually were able to jump up to a better plan that costs more a month, but it will nearly completely cover the hospital visit for the birth, so it ended up that this would be cheaper.

As for your situation, the best bet is for your wife to ask in depth about their health care plans during the interview, and also look at the state's she'll be living in healthcare marketplace (if they have one). Each person is going to pay something different It may even be cheaper for her to go through the free market than the employer covered health care. If they're having her come in from out of country for an interview, they probably really want her to work there. I wouldn't reveal she's pregnant until she's working there and needs to make time for appointments, but I doubt they'll let her go upon finding out, especially since it seems like they are making an effort to have her work there. That technically is illegal in the US (firing for being pregnant), but a lot of lower level jobs will let you go for no reason anyways.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

lol internet. posted:

The thing is we haven't rooted into Canada yet, we got married, went traveling for about 6 months, relocated to Canada, I got a job, and she had trouble finding one.

She needs to get accepted in the company in the US. I'm\we're not so worried about getting paid leave off or anything as I will be able to support her with my job in Canada in the meantime. I guess she could technically come back to Canada and give birth but pretty sure there's some grey line there. Will have to just see how it all pans out, I hope this doesn't set us back money and stuff because I actually wanted to buy a house in the next 5 years.

Will have a talk with her again.

Echoing what others are saying about this situation. I had probably one of the EASIEST pregnancies ever. I worked till 32 weeks, and I worked construction. In the field. Three days after I started my "leave", I hurt my back cleaning the toilet in the bathroom and was bedridden for 3 days from simple household work. I could not have done it without my husband, at all. I needed help getting off the couch to use the bathroom. Not to be scary, but things can go haywire quickly in a pregnancy, and you can still be "on your way" when she needs you. Hell, even two hours away is too far. My labor didn't even feel like labor until 30 minutes before I had my baby. She would have been born in the car if it wasn't for my water breaking before the contractions started getting regular.

You guys need to seriously sit down and evaluate what you're trying to accomplish with this. This will put a HUGE amount of strain on your wife and your relationship, and that's not really the best way to start a family. I don't see how having her move to another country and paying for two households and her medical care is going to help with saving money when it must certainly be cheaper for you to both to stay in one place.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
If you can afford it, maybe send her out for a manicure/pedicure and a massage. I would shank a puppy right now for a massage.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Alterian posted:

More snacks.

Alterian posted:

More snacks.

Alterian posted:

More snacks.

Seriously.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I was told 4 contractions in 30 minutes, or 8 in an hour. The worst thing that could happen if you go in is that labor will slow down/stop and you'll go home. If you stay home, the worst thing that could happen is that labor will get really hard quickly and you're rushing to the hospital in a bid to keep from having the baby in the parking lot. I'd go in, especially if her first labor was quicker than average.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

confused posted:

Please forgive me if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but I haven't had time to read everything because my first child was just born three months premature earlier this week.

Has anyone here been through this before and have any suggestions on coping mechanisms or on things we might not be thinking about?

To be clear, we both seem to be coping fine, I was just wandering if there was anything that especially helped other people.

We had two NICU babies in the space of a calendar year in our family. They were not MY babies, but my sister's and we are a very close family. Like Fionnoula, we rejoiced in every single improvement in conditions, even if that improvement was "no declines". Let family help you, let them give you a break. Make sure you eat, sleep, shower, take some time when you can to 'relax'. If you have an exercise routine, take the time to do that still (if you want). My sister NEEDED to be there at all times, and I fully understand that, but I had a friend that needed to take a 30 minute jog in the mornings to 'reset'.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

eselbaum posted:

The standard range is 70-129 mg/dl, and mine was at 125. I didn't have anything sugary earlier in the day, and overall I am what I thought was very low risk for this sort of thing. I'm 26, athletic (or was prior to getting pregnant anyway), healthy weight, eat relatively healthy... Even though I'm in what is considered the standard range, I still found it troubling having it as high as it was. Am I worrying too much?

It's not just sugar that raises your blood glucose, it's carbs of any sort. Before my 1 hour test, I got up a little late and ate my normal breakfast of oatmeal with a tiny bit of brown sugar. All around healthy meal, and that was enough to make me fail that test and have to take the fasting 3 hour test. (Which I was within completely normal readings). Don't worry about it at all, or if you are slightly worried, take it as encouragement to eat more protein-based snacks like hardboiled eggs and nuts and stuff. Hummus on sugar peas was my favorite thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

So...uh....I checked the first couple pages, and I'm sure somebody has asked in the 200+ pages, but I didn't see anything about having sex during pregnancy. My wife just showed me the double lines, and it will be our first. I've heard that there is nothing to worry about, so maybe I'm just being paranoid, but we've been trying for quite a while now and I was planning to surprise her with an exciting erotic getaway together next weekend, but I don't want to "knock it loose" or something if it is risky early on or anything.

AAAAAaaaaaaaaa

My cervix was very very tender during the whole pregnancy, so any pressure on it at all made me want to punch someone. Also, nipples and the whole vulvar region got much more sensitive, which was AWESOME, but also required particular care at first. Basically what I'm saying is if you generally go for things quickly and with great speed, maybe take some extra time to make sure everything is warmed up and comfortable before moving onto the next level, and start off very gently with any stimulation.