Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Did anyone else have to deal with someone finding out about your pregnancy before you were ready to announce it? I just found out last week that I'm pregnant, and my husband and I want to try not to tell anyone until we announce it, in person, to my family when we visit them in June. Today a co-worker stopped me in the hall and asked if my Metformin was working, because, in her words, "You seem a lot more energetic...well, that's not quite right...more like...less depressed? Like you're happy lately!"

She knows I've been trying to conceive (and that we were having trouble) so she gave me a look when she said that and I laughed and said that it was totally the Metformin, but then I got a little worried that she was catching on (and I had no idea my mood had visibly changed at work). Also, I'm terrible at keeping my mouth shut so if anyone directly asks me if I'm pregnant, I'm not sure I could deny it. However, I'd feel bad if other people around us found out before we tell my family (they live far away and I rarely see them, so assuming this pregnancy sticks, I am really looking forward to telling them in person even though I'll be 14 or 15 weeks along by then). I don't know, when did you guys announce your pregnancies, and did you feel bad telling your families over the phone or letting other people unrelated to you know the good news before your families found out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Grayscale, I'm glad you made it this far even after the surgery and everything. I hope everything else goes well for the rest of your pregnancy.

I'm also 8 weeks now, so I guess there'll be an explosion of November goon babies. My first appointment is on Tuesday and I'm excited and nervous at the same time; though I do believe it's just blood draws/family history on Tuesday and I may not get the physical exam until a week later when I meet with my OB. I'm still debating on telling my parents on Mother's day or waiting until we see them in June and I'm definitely out of the first trimester to tell them in person.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Bahunter, glad to see you here!

Yeah, I'm about 12 1/2 weeks now and it's still not really...real. When I think, "Oh, in November we'll have a little baby of our own and we'll be parents" it doesn't feel like I'm thinking about ME at all. Also, before my ultrasound at nine weeks, I was certain I was just hallucinating the two pink lines on my pregnancy test and would take another test at least once a week and show it to my husband to make sure I wasn't just making the whole thing up.

Pata Pata Pata Pon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 18, 2011

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

I'm sorry to hear that, bellybutton...I'm hoping for the best for you.

I've had a somewhat less rough day. Went for my first prenatal appointment. They rooted around in me with the transvaginal ultrasound wand for like 10 minutes before calling the doctor back in to confirm that they didn't really see anything. The cyst on the ovary where the egg was produced was there, which they said was a good sign, but they couldn't really see anything in the uterus. So they took about a gallon of blood and pee and I have to go back Friday to see if my hCG levels are increasing.

I just can't believe I could be that early. The last time I should have been fertile was four weeks ago, but I'd already missed one period before that. WTF are you doing, body. :smith:

It's completely possible you just missed a period that first month, and really did JUST get pregnant a couple of weeks ago. This site says you can't see a gestational sac until about 4 weeks 3 days, and perhaps not even until you're over 5 weeks along, so maybe you are just earlier along than you feel you should be. Good luck!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah, 10 or 11 weeks is when I gave up and started wearing a pant size larger--luckily I recently lost some weight, so my bigger stuff was still crammed in a drawer at the back of the closet. It was irritating because I was visibly starting to get bigger, but it totally wasn't baby yet so I just felt fat and bloated. Technically I can still fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans now at 14 weeks, but only if I'm standing--if I sit down, the waistband digs into my tummy and it's really uncomfortable. I still feel like I'm showing WAY more than I should be at this point, though that may be from my co-workers trying to "help" by constantly pointing out that "Oh, you're getting a TUMMY PUDGE! You look SO PREGNANT now!!!!" Thanks, now shut up before I go all PREGNANCY HORMONAL RAGE on you.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I'm almost 18 weeks along and both wrists have been KILLING me for the last week. At first I thought I was just sleeping in a weird position since just one wrist initially hurt, but now they're both really sore--more when I move them--from the top of my wrist to about halfway to my elbow. I remember briefly seeing a section on "Pregnancy Carpel Tunnel Syndrome" in a library book, but I flipped past it since "Yeah yeah, doesn't sound like that'll happen to me!" :downs: Since I've sworn off Googling symptoms for a while due to the whole "EVERY SYMPTOM MEANS YOU ARE DYING RIGHT THIS MINUTE!" typical search results, can anyone else give me more info? I don't have another prenatal appointment until August, but if the pain gets worse I'll definitely contact my OB.

^Winson--Thanks for the cloth diaper report. I would like to cloth diaper and it's always great hearing about other new parent's experiences!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

McStabby posted:

Do you work somewhere that is more likely to have repetitive motion injuries?

Not at all. That was the first thing I thought of, but I don't even use the computer as much as I used to, so it's not from typing or anything.

Ben Davis posted:

I read up a little on this because my hands were going numb at night, which I guess is another symptom of the same thing. It's supposed to be because of pregnancy swelling pressing on the nerves. Sleeping with wrist braces is supposed to help. My book said to ask the doctor what type to use, but I just used whatever one was lying around the house, and that was fine.

I just threw away an old wrist brace a couple of months ago because "My wrists haven't hurt in years, I won't need this again!" I guess I'll pick one up the next time I'm at Rite-Aid or Bartell's and see if that helps. Thanks!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

CommanderApaul posted:

But we're getting some pushback from friends and family who want us to find out, seemingly more out of a want to shower us with gender-appropriate gifts and knitted/crocheted blankets and the like, and we don't really want to be rude and say, essentially, "gently caress off, we're not finding out, deal with it," but my wife isn't comfortable discussing our reasoning behind it with them.

"We need to know the gender so we can buy stuff for the baby!" is the stupidest excuse ever. I'm only 18 weeks along and don't know the gender yet, and my bedroom is already drowning in gender-neutral onesies that people just couldn't help buying the moment they found out I was pregnant. We plan to find out the gender, but I'm reconsidering telling people because I don't want to be flooded with princess crap if it's a girl or dump trucks and sailboats if it's a boy (plus I already have SO MANY baby clothes :psyduck:). If you don't want to tell anyone the gender, that is totally your business and people need to respect that. You don't need to tell anyone the reason, either, just that you're not revealing the gender, and that's that.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

My husband and I were married almost 2 years ago, and we started trying for kids right away because I had a feeling it would take a while to get pregnant--and it did.

However, I am glad, in a way, that it took a while to conceive because it let us enjoy time together as a couple and adjust to married life without kids right away. My husband's moved up a bit in his career, which is nice, and while we don't have a TON of savings, we have a decent emergency fund and we have worked out how to live on just his income once the baby arrives.

Career-wise for me, I haven't done a goddamn thing with my college degree. I've worked at a preschool for the last three years and while I hate the school itself and the way it's run, being around kids all day has let me confirm that I do want my own kids. I've been wanting to quit that job for a while, but I have no idea what I REALLY want to do with my life. Becoming pregnant has actually been sort of comforting and given me focus because now I know I'm going to be "Mom" for a while.

We also chose to start a family in our mid-twenties because we figure we'll have more time and energy to spend with them, as opposed to being in our forties and busy at the top of our careers. Also, our parents and grandparents are still around and young and healthy enough to visit and enjoy their grand and great-grandchildren often, which is important to us. Really, we could have waited a few more years to start a family, but right now felt...well, RIGHT.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Prolonged Shame posted:

I just posted my first ultrasound photo and people figured it out. I also made a one-line post when we found out it was a boy.
As for baby shopping, I'm 21 weeks and have bought very few things. We have a crib, a travel system, a mobile, some books and a few maternity clothing items for myself. Oh, and about 100,000 little outfits that my mom and mother-in-law have purchased. All they want to buy is clothing, which is really nice of them, but if I had a choice between spending money on 100 adorable onesies or one piece of ridiculously expensive yet essential baby gear I'd choose the gear. First-world problem, I know.

I too posted a couple of ultrasound photos at 19 weeks with the album name, "By the way, we are having a kid" and everyone was totally shocked since we'd only bothered to tell our families and a couple of friends at that point. Other than "It's a girl!" a couple of weeks later, I have't posted anything else about my pregnancy, it just seems unnecessary (and I'm lazy).

I've bought exactly three things for the baby: A onsie from Value Village with adorable turtles on it that I just happened to see while walking by, a barely-used Boppy pillow I got from a garage sale for five bucks, and a changing table from Goodwill that was exactly the kind I was looking for, in great condition. My mother has been sending boxes of baby clothes to me nearly every week--she keeps saying she's done, but then finds something OMG SO CUTE and then I have ten more outfits in various sizes on my doorstep a few days later. I'm grateful that at this point we don't have to worry about clothing our child, but I do hope we get a couple of "big" items at our baby shower--namely a co-sleeper and car seat--because I'd gladly trade fifteen baby outfits for not having to by a couple of expensive things.

Also, my mother-in-law is throwing my baby shower in a month and if it's anything like my bridal shower, there's going to be a ton of people there that I don't even know. Since we live in a one bedroom apartment, I really don't need or have room for any big items--a playpen, high chair, swing, walker, etc-- that aren't on my registry. How do I communicate this to all the random invited people whom I don't know? Do I ask my mother-in-law, as host, to let them know as she sends out invites? I guess I am worried that we're going to end up with a bunch of huge items anyway because one of my co-workers has offered me, about ten times by now, her old, broken, gigantic baby swing and I have turned her down, every time, explaining that we just don't have the room for a swing, and every time she says "BUT YOU NEED A SWING, YOU WILL REGRET NEVER HAVING ONE, I'll hold on to it until you change your mind." What if everyone invited to the shower is like this? I'm probably over thinking things, but I have nightmares of walking into our living room and seeing it filled to the ceiling with stupid baby swings. As an aside, pregnancy dreams are loving weird.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Dr. Octagon posted:

Also, note the pregnant ladies saying they hate all the attention! People will ask you how you're feeling all the time, and people might touch your belly (even if you don't have a bump yet). I waited a couple of weeks into my second trimester to tell most people, and now I have people saying "I can't believe you're STILL pregnant!" The longer you keep it to yourselves, the longer you have without people all up in your poo poo about the sex of the baby, the name of the baby, and so on.

I wish I had never told anyone I was pregnant and just said I'd gained 20 lbs in my belly or something. I already hate my workplace for other reasons, but my co-workers are completely intolerable at this point because they run up to me the instant I walk into a room and dump their stories/heavily repeated and unwanted advice on me. "Oh good morning, Banana Cat, how are you feeling because I LOVED my second trimester and it was so awesome until my feet started swelling and then I had to go to the doctor, and you better talk to yours about this because..." And blah blah blah.

Also I hate people telling me that my second trimester is AWESOME. Sorry, but my right arm goes numb every night, two fingers go numb every time I drive, my hips hurt, I'm hungry but if I eat too much I can feel the food just sitting in my gut, I'm still tired all the time, brushing my teeth STILL makes me dry-heave, my kid keeps kicking my cervix, and idiots are dancing around me every day singing, "Don't you LOVE your second trimester? I was GLOWING and SO HAPPY during my second trimester, you should look happier!" I even got accused of maybe not wanting the baby because I wasn't "more emotional" after I announced I was having a girl (still :psyduck: over that).

We also waited until 11 weeks to tell family, and 19 weeks to tell friends/facebook. The first was because of the miscarriage risk--like fosborb I think it would have been harder to have lots of people grieving with us--and we waited until after our 19 week ultrasound to tell anyone else because of pure laziness on our part.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I think a lot of my irritation with talking about my pregnancy is specifically because of my co-workers, because when I think about it, I'm not really irritated at family and friends. I don't want to talk about pregnancy and babies every single moment, every single day at work. Like, one co-worker gets personally offended if I mention that I'm doing something that isn't EXACTLY how she did it. When she asked if I was co-sleeping, I mentioned buying a co-sleeper, and she started yelling at me that it was completely unnecessary and SHE just slept with her kids in the same bed and it was better that way, anyway, and I would regret not doing it HER way and so on and so on. It wouldn't be so bad except I have to see my co-workers every single day, and part of it may be hormones, but I'm seriously nearing my breaking point. Perhaps it would be different if my conversations with them were more like actual conversations, but it's more like, "Banana Cat, you better be doing things the same way I did, oh poo poo you're not?! Well, you're wrong and let me launch into a five-minute lecture WHY."

It's too bad because there are things I'm really liking about being pregnant--right now I love lying down and having my husband put his mouth right up to my belly and talk, and feel the baby start kicking madly in response to his voice. I guess I need to just focus more on that kind of thing, and less on all the negative poo poo.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

MoCookies posted:

I've been having this problem with my maternity jeans, too. So I started wearing my belly band on top of the jeans around my hips, and that really helps my pants stay up. As a bonus, I feel like the extra smushing/support helps with the aches and pains I get by the end of the day.

Holy crap, thank you so much for this tip. I've felt stupid having to hike up my maternity pants every time I stand up, but I did the stretchy pants/belly band combo today and they stayed up! Hooray!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Our kid is due around Thanksgiving, and my husband has about 3 weeks of paid leave saved up, so he's just planning to take time off from whenever our kid is born until the New Year (his workplace closes down for the last week or so of December every year anyway, so he luckily gets that extra week of paid leave regardless). Since I'm not going back to work after our kid is born, we can't afford to have him take off the three unpaid months he would get through the Family Leave and Medical Act. If there's a huge emergency or something he'd probably take the three months off, but otherwise I think what we are planning will work out fine (ask me again in a few months...)

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

One weird thing I've noticed though, no one else can shut up about me being pregnant and attributing EVERYTHING to me being knocked up.

Same here! At work the other day, I mentioned being tired and immediately got a nice long lecture about how this was just the beginning and I have SO many more sleepless nights ahead of me and if I thought pregnancy was bad, wait until I have my baby! Well actually, I'm pretty sure being tired had way more to do with staying up until 1am dicking around on the internet rather than being pregnant, but whatever.

I just hit my third trimester and even with baby stuff beginning to fill our bedroom and feeling my cervix get pummeled every day from the inside, I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that I'll be holding a baby before Christmas. Does it ever really sink in? And can I do anything about the cervix pummeling or do I just have to deal until she's born?

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

MoCookies posted:

Just hit 3rd trimester, too. That cervix punching and kicking is awful. Have you tried the inversions and whatnot from spinningbabies.com yet? Thankfully, I've found it gets my little dude to move elsewhere at least half of the time.

I admit I was slightly disappointed that there was no .gif of a baby endlessly spinning in circles in a uterus on this site, but I'll try some of the stuff on there. Every time I've gone to the doc so far, baby's been head down, so she's either punching my cervix or she's just been on her best behavior during my exams, only to be a little brat as soon as I go home. Probably the latter, if it's my kid.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

We have been flat out telling people at this point, "Yes, we have a name, but no one else gets to know until the ink is dry on the birth certificate." Our families and a few other people got pouty, but a surprising amount of people said, "Oh...well...I can't blame you, I guess." For those who INSIST on knowing the name, we sigh and say, "Ok...well...we are naming her Agnes-Bertha Joy Joy. Yes, hyphenated and with Joy as a middle name" (our last name is Joy, so this absolutely horrifies people). And then they are terribly sorry they asked and we walk away chuckling to ourselves. It's awesome (apologies to anyone in the thread who loves the name Agnes-Bertha).

Mangue, I hope your husband will respect your wishes to not reveal the name yet. I know if either of our moms figured out what we're naming our kid, it would be on facebook in seconds, no matter how much they would swear to keep it secret. Why does he feel like he HAS to tell his parents if they ask?

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

vanessa posted:

Plus, if you're vomiting a lot, you might be getting dehydrated which could be exacerbating the cramping.

Yeah, my menstrual cramps were always painful to begin with, and I cramped bad enough in the first month or so of pregnancy that I was convinced my period would start any moment and/or I'd miscarry. But when I managed to get, and keep, some water down, the cramping eased up up a bit, so I also recommend trying to keep liquids down. No-sugar added popsicles helped me out too (the more sugary ones made me nauseous).

I was so tired and nauseous at work that I was certain I was going to be reprimanded or fired since (I thought) it was obvious I was slacking miserably, but I was so terrified of miscarrying any moment that I didn't want to tell anyone I was pregnant yet. Luckily, some flu or something was going around work for about a month, so everyone else was tired and grumpy and no one gave my symptoms a second thought. Don't worry about gaining weight in the first trimester. Do whatever you need to in order to get through the day!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

limegrnxj posted:

I don't understand all you people who are losing weight or not gaining very much. :( I'm at 26 weeks and I've gained about 20 pounds. I guess it's all in blood volume, I'm still wearing some pre-pregnancy pants and my boobs are the same. I'm really quite bummed about it. I'm eating healthy and running 3-4 days a week, why I so fat?

No worries. I lost 8 lbs in my first trimester, and as SOON as I hit 14 weeks, I blew the gently caress up. I gained back the 8 lbs and added on another 8 by the time I was 19 weeks along, and I've gained another 5 or so since then (sitting at 30ish weeks now and still gaining weight). Boobs feel sore and heavy, but I'm still in my pre-pregnancy bras, which is kind of a bummer. Where are these huge boobs every pregnancy book promised I'd have by the end of the first trimester?! Since I was overweight when I got pregnant, too, I was worried that my doc would say something about my explosive 2nd trimester weight gain, but she is happy that the baby is measuring normal and was thrilled I wasn't anemic or gestationally diabetic, so she told me to just keep on with whatever diet and exercise I'm doing now. So I wouldn't worry about it unless your doctor says something!

Also I'm going nuts over this cloth diapering thing. I discovered diaperswappers.com the other night and I've been glued to the screen, hunting out good deals on used cloth diapers. Hopefully no one rips me off, because there's some sweet deals on barely-used diapers that parents are trying to recoup some money on when their kid grows out of them in a week or whatnot. Even buying secondhand, I can see where the whole "I NEED GIRAFFES ON MY KID'S BUTT" mentality can kick in and you could spend hundreds of bucks on fuzzy animal designs for your kid to poop all over.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

The Young Marge posted:

Lots of diaper stuff

If you have a chance after your baby is a little older, I'd love to know how the Sunbabys work for you...they and Alva Babys (another Chinese brand) seem to be fairly well-loved in the online cloth diapering communities, and I'm curious. Actually, I just ordered an Alva Baby off someone who barely used theirs, but since I'm not due until Thanksgiving, it'll be a while until I can try mine out.

Stash-wise, I've got about 3 dozen newborn and infant prefolds on their way, 6 various newborn covers, 6 various small covers, and 5 small pocket Fuzzibunz to start out with. I'm hoping prefolds and covers work well enough for us because they are fairly cheap, but I hope pockets like the Fuzzibunz work well for travelling and such (both our families are out of state, so I am sure we will travelling back and forth quite a bit on airplanes and in cars). Of course, one-size pockets sound even more convenient, hence my eagerness to get ahold of some Sunbabys or something since they are so cheap.

Also, nearly everything I've bought is secondhand. Especially the newborn stuff--it seems most babies grow so fast that sometimes parents don't even have a chance to use what they've bought. Extra-small size Thirsties covers are $11.50 new on Amazon, and I bought two brand-new ones, tags still attached, from another mom for $6.25 each (shipping included!) because she just never had a chance to use them and wanted them gone from her stash. So if you don't mind buying or spending time looking for secondhand stuff, you can make those upfront costs even cheaper.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Pete is ten months old, and we have some Sunbabies--they are okay, although they're at the bottom of the stash. Honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I would do all prefolds and covers; nothing else is significantly more convenient, and prefolds are cheap.

This is good to know. Honestly, I was thinking that the pocket diapers would mostly be for when family or friends come visit (or we visit them) and want to help out with the baby--no one else we know cloth diapers and there are a few certain people I have in mind for whom prefolds and covers would probably be too intimidating, judging from their "Why on EARTH are you cloth diapering?!" reactions. I would like to stay with prefolds and covers as much as possible since it's so inexpensive.

Chickalicious, we'll definitely consider travelling with disposables. We can drive to my in-law's place in 3-4 hours depending on traffic, but my family lives clear across the country so it's easily two 4 hour flights, not even counting layovers and such. Dealing with 8-10+ hours of cloth diapers on an airplane sounds like a nightmare!

And The Young Marge, yeah--the cheap new, but secondhand, Thirsties covers I mentioned in my last post I got off diaperswappers.com. I've seen a lot of plain white Prowrap or Bummis covers go for $4 or $5 each, too, if you don't care about fancy colors or designs.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I had one terrible night a couple of weeks ago where I woke up and both legs were cramping in OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS at the same time. One foot was pointing out and the other was cramping up towards my face. I had no idea that could happen but it resulted in me standing up by the bed, clutching onto the wall and trying to force them to decramp by standing in weird positions while trying not to wail in pain.

An hour later it happened AGAIN and in my tired, in-pain, 2am state I hobbled over to my desk and shook a canister of Lite salt (a 1/2 salt, 1/2 potassium mix) over my mouth in desperation (you know you're pregnant when...). Since then I've noticed that as long as I get enough potassium (usually by using the Lite salt liberally over at least one meal a day), I don't get cramps. Which is great, because even to stop the pain, dumping salt into your mouth at 2am is not at all pleasant.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Hair and makeup after birth: There are only a couple of times in my life I have ever seen my mom without her makeup and contacts on and her hair perfectly styled into place--she always woke up way before us kids did so she was already all made up by the time we were up in the mornings and everything. However, there's one picture of her in the hospital looking totally exhausted, huge 80's circle glasses on, hair a complete tangled mess, and she's grinning into the camera while holding an hour-old me. I think it's an awesome picture. Personally I can't be assed to put on makeup most mornings before work; I highly doubt that in labor it'll be at the front of my mind.

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

tl,dr: I am throwing myself a pity party because I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

I had prediabetes prior to getting pregnant, so I went low-carb then and have mostly kept it up through my entire pregnancy. It's really not bad at all once you get used to it--honestly, I'd say this is the best time to splurge on whatever meat, veggies, and (low-sugar) dairy you LOVE and think of it as a sort of treat :). It doesn't have to be expensive, either; I have a friend who complains that all he can afford for dinner are deli chicken strips from Safeway that cost $7.99/lb. I tell him that for $5.99/lb he can pick up a package of sirloin steaks and have a way tastier, healthier dinner. Super pregnancy bonus: No anemia, thanks to all the iron in the protein I've been eating! And my blood sugars leveled out to normal, too.

Berries are a good low-sugar fruit to snack on, too. I know that the strawberry/blackberry/raspberry season is past, but you can pop frozen ones into some Greek yogurt for breakfast or whatever. Cranberries are in season now too and I've been making homemade cranberry sauce using Splenda instead of sugar. If you want recipes or meal ideas or anything, feel free to PM me.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Bodnoirbabe, I've been getting irrationally angry at some of the stuff we're getting, too. It seems like we have nothing but short-sleeved newborn size onesies for when our baby is born next month, and a shitton of long, heavy, fleece sleepers and jackets in sizes 9 months and up, when it will be high summertime. People just aren't thinking about how old she'll be during which seasons when they buy her things, and even though it's an easily remedied problem (put a jacket over the onesie in the winter!), I sometimes feel like people are doing it to personally piss me off. Which they aren't, it's just hormones, but I still secretly seethe with rage sometimes when I go through all the baby clothes.

Also, I HATE all the frilly pink things people are giving us and all that poo poo goes straight to the Goodwill pile. We are trying to stick with ducks and dinosaurs and turtles and stuff 'cause that's what we like and think is cute, but everything for little girls is all "Daddy's sweet princess!" and "Mommy's little shopper!" in horrific neon pink sparkles. I have had more than one person come up to me and say, "Oh, I saw the CUTEST little dinosaur jacket the other day that I KNEW you would love, but it was really blue and not in the girl's section so I didn't buy it." WHAT? Why do people think they can only buy something for a baby girl from the girl's section even if was something they knew I'd like?!

I mean, I do appreciate all the stuff people are giving us, but knowing I'm going to have to battle the FRILLY PINK PRINCESS poo poo for the next several years gives me a headache. However, if I were having a boy I'd also be pissed at all the sports and dump trucks plastered all over little boy's clothes so I guess I'd be unhappy and hormonal either way.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Moms Stuffing posted:

Girl clothes are awesome you're all insane. I hate anything with words on it though. Anything stating that you are Daddy's or Mommy's Lil' Buttface or whatever, yuck I hate that stuff.

See, what you posted is way more tolerable than all the sparkly princess crap people have been giving us. We LOVE dinosaurs and luckily my mom has gone out of her way to buy us some dino things. Though honestly if there was a onesie that said "Mommy's Lil' Buttface," I'd probably slap it on her just to see what Christmas dinner reactions would be :D.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

How accurate were your feelings regarding male/female?

Do you mean whether we "felt" it was a boy/girl and whether we were right? From the very, very, beginning, like "Oh my god there are two lines on this pregnancy test, WHAT" beginning, I "felt" I was having a girl. Then at my first ultrasound at 9 weeks, the moment I saw the fuzzy blob on the screen I suddenly felt it might be a boy. By the time I had my second ultrasound at 19 weeks, I was thinking "girl" again and the ultrasound tech said it MIGHT be a girl, but babby was moving around way too much to tell. At my third ultrasound (to see the rest of the baby we couldn't see during the second ultrasound), the tech said she was 95% sure it was a girl. So in about 5 weeks I'll know for absolute sure, but I've definitely "felt" more girl than boy this whole pregnancy.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

My sister in law worked a 16 hour waitressing shift on her due date last year :psyduck:. Her kid was born a couple of days later. As for me, I'm 35 weeks now and part-time at the preschool I work at and I can't imagine standing for an HOUR straight, never mind pulling a 16 hour shift. It's prime snotty, coughing, sick children time and my boss was nice enough to let me know to just take days off if I start to get sick and to go ahead and sit down whenever I feel like I need to (when we're on playground duty, we're usually required to stand). At least one co-worker has said straight to my face, "I don't know why you say you're tired, you only work part-time and you get to sit down whenever." She's a bitch in general so I try to let it just slide off, but it's just as annoying as the "Well I worked 80 hour weeks and flew across the globe and single handedly saved a village of starving children at 42 weeks pregnant" stories I have also gotten from other co-workers. It does suck to not be making as much as I was working full time, but at this time last year I ended up with a horrible case of bronchitis and I've been absolutely terrified of getting it again, so I'm really happy to know my boss is all right with me taking it easy right now.

So I guess other people might try to make you feel bad about having to change your hours or stop working or whatever, but my OB reminded me that I AM working, 24/7, to grow this baby, and some physical limitations on what I can do are real. Some people might think, "Oh, she's just using her pregnancy to slack off on her job," but seriously, YOU strap the biggest watermelon you can find onto your stomach and then deal with fifty 3- and 4-year olds running up to you asking you to bend down and tie their shoes.

Dr. Octagon, Baby Octagon is adorable! And MoCookies is right, it sounds like a ton of pregnant goons are in their third trimester now and I'm excited to see how all our babies turn out and read birth stories. I don't know why birth stories fascinate me so much--maybe it's because I don't have one of my own yet? Still, looking forward to them!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

So for those of you who stopped working in the third trimester and don't have any other kids yet...what do you do all day? :psyduck:. I took two days off this week because I felt like crap and much of my job is standing outside in the cold, plus my pelvis has been hurting much more lately. And I felt way better being able to stay home and sit or lie down in whatever position was comfortable all day, so physically it was great...but mentally, I was really bored.

I'm considering quitting work sooner than I intended, but I'm not sure what to do with all that time. I mean, when I stayed home this week, I'd do a load of dishes and take out a bag of garbage and feel completely wiped out after that, so I'd spend most of the day curled up under an electric blanket, napping or reading. I feel that if I'm going to be staying home instead of working, I should at least be cleaning or cooking more or something while my husband works all day, but all my body really wants to do at this point is rest. This is all my own view, too--my husband said that if I need to stay home and rest up for Baby, then do so; no one is outright telling me that if I stay home I need to scrub the apartment from top to bottom every day. I guess I'm also afraid that I'll stop working, say, next week, and then the baby is 2 weeks overdue and now I've spent six whole weeks at home doing nothing when I *could* have made a little more money by staying at my job a little longer. I know it's up to me to decide when I need to stop working, but I'd love to hear how others came to that decision and if you regretted it either way (wish you had worked longer, or stopped working sooner).

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for all the input on the working/not working thing in the last trimester. Honestly, I'm shocked at how quickly I get tired now--I was all right at the beginning of this trimester, which is what made me assume I could work up to my due date, but now everything seems to just zap my energy far more than it should. I think I may end up finishing up the next week at work, as I'll hit 37 weeks at that point, and then spend the rest of my pregnancy at home playing video games like a good goon mother.

Also, I just tested positive for Group B strep. At my appointment I got a small handout that basically just said, "If you test positive, you'll get antibiotics during labor and you and baby should be fine." What I can't seem to get a straight answer on is how long you get those antibiotics? Is it a continuous IV, or is it just a short dose when you get to the hospital and then, like, a booster dose after a few hours or something? We have a birthing center tour later this week so I can ask them what they specifically do then, but I'm impatient and curious NOW.

Lyz--congratulations! He looks adorable :)

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I think I have the opposite problem. I'll suddenly get really crampy or feel a definite tightness in my abdomen, but when I put my hand to my belly, I just feel my usual soft tummy. Maybe I'm feeling way too low or something.

Also, the first time I felt her hiccup was around 35 weeks. I was sitting in a (casual, thankfully) presentation at work and suddenly jumped up, quickly excused myself to the staff room, and blurted, "My butt is pulsating!" People were bugging me about it before that and I was wondering if she was hiccuping and I just didn't know it. But I'm 38 1/2 weeks now and she definitely hiccups at least once a day. It feels exactly like hiccups but in my lower abdomen and butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Bring some goddamn socks and shoes. Sounds stupid but with my second kid, I labored around my apartment in slippers and went out the door in them and in the midst of going "OH GOD gently caress THIS poo poo I HATE BEING IN LABOR" no one noticed that I didn't bring proper shoes and socks until we checked out of the birth center a couple of days later. It was late November too so my feet were pretty cold on the way to the car. I felt pretty dumb.

Anyway, checking into this thread with my third pregnancy. It's an I-was-on-the-pill-goddamnit baby so my husband and I are still kind of drifting through our days in a shocked coma. We already have a 3 1/2 year old and a 17 month old and weren't planning on another until he finished up his Master's degree, if at all. On the other hand if we're having a third it might be nice to just get it over with this year and then we're done for sure, forever. :haw:

I think I'm around 6 weeks along. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to find out for sure. Thing is, I have way fewer symptoms this time than I did with the other 2. I had migraines, vomiting, took 3 hour naps almost every day, etc, by 6-7 weeks along and this time I'm kinda nauseous here and there and have a weird craving for fish sticks and broccoli and that's it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to not be fighting endless migraines while trying to care for 2 other kids this time as well but I can't help but worry about having so few symptoms this time. Intellectually I know "every pregnancy is different" and I should be thrilled that maybe this pregnancy will be way easier than the last two, but emotionally part of my brain is freaking out that something is wrong. I just want to see that fuzzy white blur on the ultrasound already.