Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

We're also having a girl (hi, thread!), and we're not bothering with "gender appropriate" colors in the baby's room. The walls are white, so we have the possibility to add accessories in whichever color we'd like. It's easier when the kid grows up, too, I think. That way we don't have to redo the room when they decide they don't like pink or baby blue anymore. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Lullabee posted:

So according to all the books/websites/emails - by 26 weeks you should've gained around 16-20 lbs. I'm still a week and 3 days from 26 weeks, but I'm no where near that weight. I lost 7 lbs in the first trimester and have gained back 6 of those as of yesterday. So, I'm still down a lb from prepregnancy weight. The doctor doesn't seem worried, but it seems like such a huge amount difference to me. Is it because I was/am fat and the baby's just eating off me? He was normal sized at 20 weeks and actually growing ahead of his due date. I'd ask the birth board, but every time I mention it, I get 'OMGYOU'RESOLUCKY!' and no actual help.

Also, the doc wasn't considered about the green nipples - he said since it went away, it was probably blood.

If you are/were overweight before you got pregnant, you won't (shouldn't) gain as much weight as someone who's "regular" weight before pregnancy.
I'm a big fatty, and while I haven't weighed myself since before I got pregnant, my clothes still fit me even if I'm at 28 weeks now.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thank you for that post, Stairs! :glomp:

I'm having my first child, and I'm so stumped as to what I need to get, and what I really don't need.

I've figured out that I have to get a bed, stroller, car seat, changing table, diapers and cleaning stuff and some clothes before this kid pops out, anything else I'll just wait and see what I'll need.

(Also, not figuring out you're pregnant before you're almost 23 weeks along doesn't exactly do wonders for the stress levels. ;))

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Well, I've always had irregular periods, so I've often went 4-8 months without having any. Also, as I said earlier, I'm overweight, so my clothes still fit me now.

I quit my BCP last February, but I didn't have high expectations of conceiving due to my irregular periods. My husband and I just thought "if it happens, it happens" and left it at that. Then, one day in September, I thought I'd take a pregnancy test just in case. My boobs have been feeling sore all summer, but I thought maybe my period was on its way, so I did't think more of it. Yeah, the test was positive, the four other tests I took were also positive. Ultrasound a week later showed a big, active baby. I might have felt kicks before the tests, but I must have thought it was gas or something. I haven't been sick at all, so I had no idea I was pregnant already.

At least I found out before I gave birth into the toilet. :downs:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

Last night and this morning, my nipples were leaking a little bit of clear something. I'm only 25 weeks...isn't it too early for colostrum? :ohdear:

My breasts started leaking at 25 weeks as well, it's completely normal. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Congratulations, Winkle-Daddy! :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

My BP skyrockets when I'm at the doctor's too. It's better when I'm at my midwife's though. I think it's because I have a slight fear of going to the doc's in the first place, so my BP is always high when she measures it. The last time she just said "I give up" and put the cuff away.

My urine and blood samples are all fine, though, and the baby looks to be in great shape when she ultrasounds it. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I'm at 37 weeks now, and I've had the bag packed for a couple of weeks already. We live about an hour and 20 minutes from the hospital, so it's nice to have all the stuff you'll need ready to go.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

rectal cushion posted:

Yes. The midwife used it before stitching me up after birth (3 stitches). However, I didn't get any after that. I didn't have too much pain afterwards though, I only had a couple of days of sitting very tenderly. Don't know if you can get it to use on yourself if it's really bad.

Incidentally, I've heard that they have stopped offering gas at Ullevål, which is where I'm giving birth. They had problems with it leaking into the room and affecting the midwives. Which I suppose you don't want :v

Are you Norwegian?

Yeah, same here. I'm giving birth in Molde, and they don't offer gas because of leaking and the long-term effects on the people working there. Apparantly, a lot of the midwiwes working there had miscarriages due to the gas exposure over time.

I guess only epidural for me then! Oh, and they also offer acupuncture, have anyone tried that during labour?

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 10, 2013

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Our Anna was born on January 25th, weighing in at 4110 grams and measuring 53 cm.

024 by Solveig T. S., on Flickr

I was originally scheduled to go in to possibly be induced on the morning of the 25th, but I started having contractions 3 minutes apart just after midnight. We called the hospital, and they sent an ambulance (the hospital is around 1 hour and 15 minutes away). My water broke after half an hour in the ambulance, so I was pretty relieved we didn't decide to drive ourselves after all.

When I got to the hospital, I was around 4 cm dilated. The contractions were getting harder and closer together, so I got the epidural when I was around 5-6 cm dilated. The epidural was divine, I dozed in the bed until I was fully dilated. Unfortunately, when I was going to start pushing, I had no effect of the epidural, and they didn't want to give me a refill because then I wouldn't be able to feel the pushing contractions.

The pushing stage was the most painful experience of my life. The contractions were too weak, so they kept upping the Pitocin. I didn't feel the urge to push at all, I just had the most horrible pain in my pelvis the whole time. I decided to just push against the pain just to get the kid out of there. After about an hour, they decided to use a vacuum extractor. After three more contractions and a hell of a lot of pulling, she was finally out.

After the delivery, the placenta came too fast, and in addition to some serious tearing, I lost more than two liters of blood. Needless to say, I was a little dizzy after that ordeal, so my milk didn't come in until I got a blood transfusion a couple of days later.

As if the horrible experience of labor wasn't enough, two days later Anna was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. She has to use a Frejkas pillow for four months until her hip joints grow in correctly. It was quite a shock on top of everything, but now we're just happy they caught it in time, so hopefully she'll be completely fine after a short amount of time, instead of having to be put in a cast when she's older.

Now we're back home, and things seem to fall into place a little bit. Anna's eating and sleeping a lot, and we're gradually getting more and more used to having a new boss in the house.

021 by Solveig T. S., on Flickr

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, guys! :3:

sudont, that sounds great. We're prepared to be extra active and train a lot with her when she gets the pillow off, so hopefully she'll have the chance to be athletic, too. :)

Greycious, I thought the whole point of an epidural was a painfree delivery, too. I don't know if the pushing pain is just too painful for the epi to totally cover it, and maybe if I didn't have it at all, it would have been even worse? :P I would have preferred to feel nothing, though, since the contractions didn't help me a bit. At least now I know it's true that you seriously don't feel it at all if you get any tears, I had a third degree tear and several smaller tears and I couldn't care less.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

The only things I find pretty necessary when I breast feed are my nursing pillow and a burping cloth. I've been unbelievably lucky in that I don't get sore nipples at all, but I still put some lanolin on there after I've showered. Oh, and nursing pads and a nice (pretty and comfortable) nursing bra are also good things to have. I haven't bought any particular nursing tops, but if you're out and about a lot you might consider it, if you don't want to pull your top all the way up everywhere you go.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Killer_Frost posted:

Ok, hubby is driving me nuts. He barely helps with her (he gets the first feeding of the night, if he's already awake... Sometimes) and he gets upset at me if I mention that I could use a hand with her or feel like I'm doing almost everything. He says, "I go to work all day... Etc" if I say anything about how I'm with her all day while he's at work I get brushed off, and he basically accuses me of saying he does nothing.

I know I signed on to be a stay at home mom but I kind of figured I'd get a little help when he came home from work instead of him getting to take a nap (when I've been trying to take one all day and can't because of her) and then disappearing to his office to work on some project. I can count on one hand the number of times he's taken her for an hour so I could go do something alone and its usually some bodily necessity like taking a shower, eating or going to bed early.

The other day she was asleep and he said he'd take her so I could get a shower. When I got out of my shower she was still in the bathroom with me and he was asleep,

Any suggestions on how to approach this conversation without him feeling attacked or me feeling like I should just roll over and give up because its not going to change?

Do what I did, break down in tears when he gets home from work because you're so exhausted. :v:

Ok, maybe not the best approach, but the ensuing conversation was really helpful for the both of us. I know it's really difficult to tell him how much work a baby is without sounding like you're accusing him of doing nothing, but as rectal cushion said, it's not fair that you're working 24/7. He's a parent too, and it's only fair that he pitches in during those intense first months. Hobbies and projects can wait until things are a little less hairy. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Seven for a Secret posted:

I ended up with third degree tearing and a ton of stitches. Does anyone know how long I can expect to healing to take? In the hospital they said 7-10 days for initial recovery but I think that must have meant without tearing.

I had 3rd degree tears as well, but if noone had told me, I'd be none the wiser. I could sit normally, but there was a lot of ... throbbing downstairs if I was on my feet for long periods of time. I felt better a couple of weeks out, and on my 6 week gyno checkup I got the all-clear. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

My daughter is 7 months old this Sunday, and in the last week or so I've gone from feeding/rocking her to sleep to just putting her in her bed when she's tired and relaxed. It's not something I've worked for/towards, but it just came about naturally. She doesn't want to nurse much anymore, so nursing her until she falls asleep isn't really an option. Now we cuddle a bit until she's sleepy, I put her in her bed, say goodnight and walk out. If she fusses or cries, I go back in and comfort her, but it only takes about one or two times of checking in before she falls asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I have to agree with everyone here that suddenly having a newborn that needed everything from you was the biggest shock of my life. And I was gnashing my teeth inwardly at everyone I met who were cooing and saying "Oh, this time is so wonderful, you have to enjoy every moment!". Yeah right, rose tinted glasses, much? This is the toughest thing I've ever had to do, by far. It does get better little by little, though. :)