Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Lazenca posted:

I had no idea iron wasn't supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. Whoops. I've been doing just that for months.

Actually iron is best absorbed on an empty stomach. It just causes more GI upset as you well know. I take mine right before I go to bed with a vitamin C pill (which also helps with absorption) and I don't suffer any nausea anymore. Though mine is a low dose, just the regular 27mg found in a prenatal. However, if you're taking more there is obviously a much higher chance of suffering from nausea/vomiting anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Did not think I would be posting in this thread for a few more months at least! Anyways, I just took a couple of pregnancy tests, and apparently I am pregnant! Now...I'm not really sure what to think. My husband and I have barely been passively "trying" since May, so pretty much only one month. I am so confused though because four weeks to the DAY after my last menstrual period in May I got what I thought was my period for my month of June. I actually tested that morning and got a negative. The bleeding was unusually light for a period but still significant enough for me to need to use panty-liners for 4 days. I didn't really think much of it because it was my first period off the pill.

Anyway, it was so much more significant than what I thought implantation bleeding would be and thus is confused as to what the heck it was. Anyone have a clue as to why I bled so heavily? Is it common? I also experienced some light cramping with the bleeding. If it was a miscarriage, would my hCG levels still be high enough right now to make a test show positive? It would just be so strange to show a negative on the day that I bled but then show a positive 2 weeks later if I did indeed miscarry...

Calling my OB in the morning but thought I would get some first impressions here first.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Mangue posted:

Did not think I would be posting in this thread for a few more months at least! Anyways, I just took a couple of pregnancy tests, and apparently I am pregnant! Now...I'm not really sure what to think. My husband and I have barely been passively "trying" since May, so pretty much only one month. I am so confused though because four weeks to the DAY after my last menstrual period in May I got what I thought was my period for my month of June. I actually tested that morning and got a negative. The bleeding was unusually light for a period but still significant enough for me to need to use panty-liners for 4 days. I didn't really think much of it because it was my first period off the pill.

Anyway, it was so much more significant than what I thought implantation bleeding would be and thus is confused as to what the heck it was. Anyone have a clue as to why I bled so heavily? Is it common? I also experienced some light cramping with the bleeding. If it was a miscarriage, would my hCG levels still be high enough right now to make a test show positive? It would just be so strange to show a negative on the day that I bled but then show a positive 2 weeks later if I did indeed miscarry...

Calling my OB in the morning but thought I would get some first impressions here first.

Quoting my own post above for some context.

So I did end up calling one of the nurse hotlines available at a local hospital. I know I didn't do myself any favors by Googling heavy bleeding in pregnancy but the nurse didn't sound too concerned after asking a million questions and said I should just wait and call the doc in the morning as I was already planning. I'm just so upset with myself because I assumed I had my period so I drank a bit during the last two weeks. I don't have any early pregnancy symptoms either, no sore boobs, no nausea, no bloating, nothing at all significant. I can definitely relate to that "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" show.

Seriously, has this happened to anyone else here? How much bleeding is normal in early pregnancy? How much implantation bleeding did you guys have? By the way, I would be about 6 weeks along by now. I feel like such an rear end. I feel like I should have known but I'm not sure how I could have. Still sort of freaking out, I won't be satisfied till I see my OB.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Last week I had some mild spotting the day after my husband and I had sex. I was a little worried but there really wasn't any cramping and it only lasted one day. Today, I got out of bed and experienced a pretty severe sharp pain in my left lower abdomen and dizziness. It only lasted a couple of seconds and I brushed it off as potentially being round ligament pain. However, a couple hours later, I experienced some really light spotting again. (My husband and I have not had sex since the first incident.)

I have already had an ultrasound so an ectopic pregnancy is pretty much the last thing on my list. Am I just freaking out needlessly? I called my doc the first time I spotted a bit and he just said to monitor it and make an appointment if it got worse. Did anyone else experience any sort of "regular" pains and spotting during early pregnancy? Should I call again? I am between 7 and 8 weeks along and I don't have another OB appointment for a couple of weeks.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Thanks for the answers. Now I have a follow up question - if you go to the hospital early on in your labor, do they stick you in a hospital gown right away? Do you get an IV if everything seems to be going fine?

This depends on a lot on the hospital you're going to. If you have a Birth Plan then these sort of things can happen more on your own terms. Some hospitals/OBs are more strict than others in their practice and really sort of want to do things their way. Others are more lax and willing to work with what the mother and father want. My OB said I could pretty much do whatever I wanted, the only thing he really requires is a hep lock.

Call up your OB and ask. Get an idea of what YOU want for your labor and see if the OB/hospital is willing to work with you.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Has anyone had to deal with telling their prospective employer about pregnancy? I do not currently have a job though I had an interview last week and am hoping they hire me. I'm only 16 weeks along so it was not at all apparent that I was pregnant during the interview. I really did not want to let them know I was pregnant because I did not want to give them any excuse at all not to hire me.

Anyway, if I get this job I won't start until November. Since I am due in February, that will mean I will have only worked for this employer for about 3 months and will not qualify for my state's parenteral laws. These laws state that if I am working for a company of 50 or more people and have worked for them for 12 months, I am entitled to 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.

IF they decide to offer me the job, I want to tell them ASAP but I'm just not sure how. And it's complicated by the fact that that job requires 16 weeks of training starting in January. I'm not sure if they have ever had someone who needed to take time off right in the middle of the 16 week program.

I'm not sure if I should mention it on the phone when they offer me the job. I'm not sure if I should request a meeting with them right after I accept. I'm not sure how they will react to my not telling them during the interview. I know that if they do hire me, they can't fire me for being pregnant. I just don't want them to resent me because I took the job and now they have to start making all these allowances for me, like altering the 16 week program they have in place.

I hope this made some sort of sense. Basically, I'm pregnant, I may be getting a job soon, what is the best way to go about telling my employer that I am pregnant?

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

First off, I wish you the best of luck! Getting a job in this economy is tough.

They aren't allowed to fire you because of your pregnancy but because of the part I bolded I don't think they don't have to make any accommodations (like give you time off beyond what they offer other new hires), so it's going to come down to how much they want you. Also, it's possible that the training period is a probationary period where they haven't officially hired you and thus can decide not to hire you. I'm not sure how probationary periods work legally. But I know at a place I used to work that once they found someone they liked, they were willing to wait a few months until they could start working.

Parenteral = parental. Oops.

Anyway, I'm not sure that it is a probationary period...This is a very specific program that they cannot just hire someone else if they decide not to keep me after I have taken maternity time off. If they don't take me back there is no way they can get another person in to take my place. They can't fire me after I've been hired because that's illegal and if they drop me from the program because I need to take maternity leave they lose a bunch of money and can't get someone else to take my place. Legally they don't have to keep me around, but it would be in their best interest if they don't want to waste money.

I apologize if this is sort of convoluted and not making a ton of sense. I don't want to put in too many details. Basically, my fear is that they will think that I tricked them and now that they've hired me they need to "deal" with me. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with my bosses!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

MoCookies posted:

Despite the legality of the situation, I think you're in danger of being seen as a problem employee/coworker before you even get started. Maybe even "more trouble than you're worth", since you're in the position of needing concessions before you've gotten a chance to really prove what a valuable employee you'll be. I think you need to have a sit-down with your boss as soon as possible and let them know that you are pregnant AND fully committed to the training program/position. I hope it works out for you - it's hard to find a job right now.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I feel that if I meet with them before they offer me the job they might dismiss me outright even if they liked me before hand. I really don't want to give them any reason to not hire me. At the same time, if I don't let them know I run the risk of being seen as a problem, as you said.

Ugh. This is the only job opportunity I've had since I graduated in May. And it's an absolute dream job. This blows. I'm sort of leaning toward being on the up-and-up with them. I don't want them to feel like I have painted them into a corner if they decide to hire me.

loving A. I need to think.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Naming a future child IS hard. I feel the only important thing is that the mom and dad agree. Who cares what everyone else thinks. My best friend is due any day now and I absolutely hate the name she and her husband have chosen for their daughter. BUT. My opinion doesn't matter and I have never told them what I really thought. It's their kid and their decision. I don't really get why friends/parents can't see that.

The only issue I'm really having with naming now is the fact that I don't really want to tell anyone the name before the baby is born. Not even the parents. My husband said he won't outright tell anyone but if his parents ask, he will tell them. I don't know why he insists because I KNOW they will ask at some point. He wants to know the sex, he wanted to get the NT ultrasound done, he basically wants to know everything he can about this kid before its born. The ONE thing I want to keep a secret and keep to ourselves is the name. Anyone have any good arguments to convince him not to tell his parents the name when they ask?

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Banana Cat posted:

Why does he feel like he HAS to tell his parents if they ask?

When I asked him why he basically told me that it was an issue of respect. Something about how he respects his parents too much to deny them that sort of knowledge and it is a matter of his moral obligations as a son.

He likened it to if his parents called him up on the phone and asked him how he was doing and he responded with "I don't really want to tell you that."

Either way, I still won. Baby's name will not be revealed until its birthday.

Edit: oh and Bahunter22 that's basically how I won the argument. I feel that it's always possible to change your mind about a name before the baby comes so if we go around telling people one name, then decide to change it, it would be strange. So now my husband can truthfully tell his parents that we have not finalized the name yet. Even though I think we have. Muahahahaha!

Mangue fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 9, 2011

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

The city I live in with over 300,000+ people only has one midwife who is certified to practice within a hospital. The rest do home births. I didn't feel comfortable doing a home birth so that basically means I had to go with an OB. Luckily I found an awesome OB who only has a 7% C-section rate and who will let me do pretty much whatever I want. I think it's possible to find awesome OBs, it just takes a bit of research.

On a side note...anyone else experience a lot of labial swelling? This suuuuucks. It doesn't hurt or anything but I don't recognize myself down there anymore and it's really disconcerting. Plus, it's super uncomfortable to have any sort of relations with my husband. I feel so bad but at the same time...good lord it's unlike anything I've seen before! Please tell me I'm not alone...

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Anyone looking into the Bradley method should also look for Brio classes in their area. From what I understand, they are very similar. Brio is basically just an updated version of Bradley. There was only like one person in my area who did Bradley but there were 3 people who teach Brio. Try your luck with that and see if it helps to find more classes.

Here is the link to their main website: http://www.briobirth.com/

As a side note, I don't start my Brio classes until next month and I have never taken Bradley so I can't comment on how different/similar they are.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

PSA: On Pooping

Preggo ladies, has pooping got you down? Are you so constipated that your rear end is hurting? Are you taking added iron because you are anemic and now you're backed up like a 12 car pileup on I65? Changing your diet to be extra high fiber only causing gas? Congratulations on being knocked up with an epic food baby!

Always talk to your doctor/practitioner first before taking anything (obviously). However, they will tell you that certain medications are safe. They include Colace stool softener and the amazing MiraLax (polyethylene glycol).

The magic number is three days of not going before taking anything (CALL FIRST), but talk to your practitioner if you are having pain or if you are extremely uncomfortable in the meantime.

On enemas: Only under the advice and instruction of your practitioner!

Prevention is key, but sometimes even that doesn't work. If you have pain or bleeding on your anus, it is most likely hemorrhoids from straining. Before treating them yourself, talk to your doctor.

Water, fiber, and more water are the best ways to prevent a log jam. Sometimes a provider will tell you to take a prenatal without iron. Only do this if your provider specifically tells you do this, not before. Iron is an essential nutrient during pregnancy.

For all the discomforts of pregnancy, I have mercifully been constipation free thus far and surprisingly regular. During my first trimester when I was super picky I was not picky about fruit, thankfully. Love me some fruit. I swear, along with an apple, three prunes a day keeps the constipation away. And drinking so much water that I have to pee every 30 minutes...

Hopefully with the preventative measures Gumby Orgy mentioned, one won't have to suffer the wrath of constipation.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

How accurate were your feelings regarding male/female?

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

I thought for sure we were having a boy. Everybody around me was/is having girls so I figured I was going to be the one to have the boy. Nope. It's a girl! Shocked but happy. My husband and I are (seemingly) one of the few couples who really don't care what the sex is. I think the only reason I'm slightly more thankful it's a girl is because we have a girl's name picked out and we're having a hard time thinking of a boy's name.

As for the hyperemesis...have you been formally diagnosed? Hyperemesis gravidarium is a serious diagnosis and can potentially be very dangerous. It's NOT normal pregnancy nausea. It can cause severe dehydration and, as the poster above me mentioned, the need to be hospitalized. Meds help but it needs to be monitored to make sure you gain adequate weight and are able to intake adequate nutrition. If you have been formally diagnosed the only thing you can really do is work with your provider to make sure you keep it in check. If you haven't, it is possible that your nausea is pretty bad but just not quite bad enough to be considered HG. Some people can get some pretty gnarly nausea and vomiting but it's still considered completely normal.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

chachu posted:

Your condition is called "being pregnant". You throw up (a lot). Hyperemesis gravidarum literally means "throwing up a lot during pregnancy". That's what you do in pregnancy. You feel like poo poo. You cry over everything. You're super emotional. You seriously need to chill lest the next 32 weeks of your pregnancy give you a nervous breakdown. Might I suggest http://livejournal.com?

Maybe. And perhaps HG is something that is over diagnosed as Moms Stuffing suggested but a real case of HG is a real problem. It can cause severe electrolyte imbalances, acidosis, and lead into a starvation mode in which the body is literally eating itself causing muscle wasting and protein deficiencies. All of this can lead to the death of the baby. This is not normal pregnancy nausea. Granted it really only happens in about half of 1% of all pregnancies so it probably is over diagnosed. That's not to say that Gumby Orgy doesn't actually have it though. Of all the women who post in this forum we're bound to have some with real pregnancy complications.

I feel HG is maybe something that people say they have when they tend to throw up a lot during pregnancy. But in actuality a real case of HG is a real issue and tends to be a lot worse than people may realize. Just like people say they get "hypoglycemic" if they don't eat at regular intervals but a real case of hypoglycemia without a diagnosis of diabetes is extremely rare and serious.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Lyz posted:

Welp, my body has failed me. I started early labor on Sunday morning... and then it petered off. It came back hard and fast that night, with short, close together contractions, so we went to the hospital at 3am... and I was still only 2cm so they sent me home. And now after a day of painful contractions it's petered off again. I haven't slept since 6am Sunday morning and I'm at the end of my rope, so the induction is tonight. I would have loved to go naturally, but if this is what it takes to get things going then so be it.

Ah your body didn't fail you, it was just practicing for the real deal! Anyways, hope the induction goes well and hope you find the time to post some pictures of the little one at some point!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Oh jesus the back pain...I experienced a little bit of pain in the first trimester, just a nagging ache. It only lasted a few weeks and was gone by the time I hit my second trimester. I'm 23 weeks now and for the last few days my back pain has come back with a vengeance. Especially yesterday and today. I felt pretty good this morning but after doing a couple hours of errands with my husband I literally can't move without an intense SHARP stabbing pain in my lower left back. I laid down on the floor when I got home and it was so bad I could not get back up. I ended up crawling up the stairs crying it hurt so much.

Please tell me this is temporary! What the gently caress. I'm barely halfway through my pregnancy and the back pain is easily an 8/10. I've taken a hot bath, I've taken some tylenol, I've used a heating pad. Nothing is touching this pain. Maybe my baby is just hanging out on top of one of my nerves or something...anyone else experience such intense back pain so early?

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

Hi there back pain buddy! I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my doc says it either sticks around the whole time or gets worse. :smith: I've had severe back and hip pain for about 2 months now (I'm a little over 28 weeks) and there's no end in sight. Tylenol is a joke and the heating pad only helps while I'm sitting on it.

Here is what has helped me:
- Sleeping in a recliner (full recline works fine)
- Sitting on a massaging chair pad
- Sitting and bouncing on an inflatable exercise/birth ball
- Vigorous pounding/slapping/tapping/drumming massage
- Gentle stretching

Floating in a warm pool or tub would probably also feel great, but I don't have a pool and my tub is really shallow.

Good luck!

Do those things you mentioned help you to function at a relatively normal level every day? Because as it is right now, I can't even walk. :(

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Regarding fasting and glucose tolerance testing: it seems to just be physician preference. I've heard from lots of people that they didn't have to fast for the one hour but I had mine done on Friday and my doc wanted me to fast. Hope I passed it! I don't have time to do the three hour!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Awesome Kristin posted:

Also I just want to say I just cried from an episode of Thundercats.

Congrats! Also, I just want to say that early in my pregnancy I cried at the end of Star Trek: The Voyage Home.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Speaking of positioning issues, I'm 32 weeks and found out yesterday my baby is hanging out transverse. I'm freaking out. I know I still have a while yet but by this point in time I figured baby would either be breech or vertex. Right now I'm waffling back and forth between wanting to do everything I can to try to ensure she turns to believing there is nothing I can do. It's almost like I'm trying to protect myself and prepare myself for the worst so I don't really want to get my hopes up that she'll turn. Anyone else have a transverse baby during the third trimester? Can anything be done or do I just have to wait and see how she's positioned when I go into labor?

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Chandrika posted:

My daughter was transverse until halfway through my labour. I laboured on my hands and knees, and everything worked out fine in the end. I would have been ok with delivering a breech baby, but she came out headfirst. Well, my knees were pretty busted up for a couple of days, but other than that it was fine.

This is actually very reassuring. My OB said he wouldn't even start to worry about the baby's position until I went into labor and it's nice to know that the baby can turn even then. Still, hope she decides to turn well before then!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

bamzilla posted:

What is the purpose of the 24 hour collect? I remember I only did one every time I went to my OB for the protein tests and I haven't had to do any this time around, yet. (9 weeks)

Every time you pee at the doc they are looking for a number of things. Protein in the urine paired with high blood pressure and sometimes acute swelling of the feet or face are signs of preeclampsia. As Fire in the Disco mentioned they will often ask for a 24 hour urine catch if your BP is chronically high or if it's really acutely high. The 24 hour collect is to make absolutely sure they get an accurate reading of exactly how much protein is actually in your urine (so you better make sure to catch every drop or they make you do it all over again!). Elevated urine protein along with increased BP is a much better indicator of preeclampsia than increased BP alone.

For gestational diabetes, they look for glucose in the urine. If you're peeing sugar, it's a sign of elevated blood glucose levels.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

Just got back from my OB and she said that with diabetics, there can be some kidney damage that makes you spill protein in urine. So the 24 hour collect I did last week was my baseline, and I will (unfortunately) have to do some more to make sure that it's not getting worse.

Ahhh yeah that makes sense actually. Cool, learned something new today!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Goonettes I need your advice. Today I am officially 40weeks and there is no sign that this kid is ready to emerge. I had my midwife appointment today and she said they are willing to let things go a little while longer, but with my gestational diabetes they are planning on getting this kid out in a week if labor hasn't happened by then. She tried to strip my membranes today to help things along, but it turns out that my cervix was all "hell no" (completely undialated) and she said that induction at this point wouldn't take since clearly my body wasn't ready yet.

I know that "healthy baby and healthy mom" are the most important things in the end, but I would really like to avoid the full medical induction, potential c-section, and lengthy hospital stay. Any advice on how to convince this kid to get out?

Call up your midwife and ask her about it but I have heard that an herbal supplement called evening primrose oil is a decent cervical ripening agent. As I mentioned, it's an herbal so you'll want to make sure that it's safe to take if you are on any other meds or have any medical conditions that might be contraindications. Another thing to try is to go get a real nice pedicure or have your SO give you a foot massage. I believe there are acupressure points in the ankle/calf that can sometimes induce labor. I know all this sounds pretty hippy dippy but that's all I can come up with if you're looking to try natural methods.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Junius posted:

we had no negative indicators at all except the fact I started bleeding a little.

Don't give up hope yet! As the previous two posters also talked about, I too experienced some bleeding early in my pregnancy and everything was fine. I bled about once a week from week 6 till about week 10 or so. It was stressful and every time it happened I was sure that this time was going to be when it started and didn't stop. I was sure I was going to lose the pregnancy. But thankfully everything was fine, I just had a really sensitive cervix that tended to bleed at the slightest bump. Have you spoken to an actual OB yet? Have you gotten an ultrasound? The blood tests should hopefully be able to tell you what really is going on, but I wouldn't even think about a D&C until an OB is seen.

If it does turn out to be a miscarriage, I just want to say I'm very sorry for your loss. But until you get absolute confirmation, I'm going to hold out hope for you!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

netally posted:

Any tips from goon mommas about how to cope with this stage in pregnancy?

I'm 37+5 now and completely over being pregnant. I think it has more to do with the fact that I'm still working a very physically demanding job than it has to do with the pregnancy itself. Just the thought of having to go back to work tomorrow with how pregnant I am is so depressing. My hands are swollen and numb, my feet are swollen, my back has finally started to hurt, I'm completely exhausted all the time...The only saving grace is that I love my job and my co-workers are awesome.

I wish I could offer some helpful advice but I really just feel the same way you do and want it to all be over with. I try to rest up during the weekends but it's so boring and lonely.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

How are you still working? :psyduck:

I have a customer service job at a desk and I took off on disability at 36 weeks. I thought I was just being lazy, but my god, at 38.5 weeks now, I am so grateful I did. I'm exhausted all the time and my brain has melted out of my ears. You are a lot stronger of a woman than I am!

Mostly it's out of not really having a choice. I just got this job back in November so I'm a brand new employee, don't qualify for FMLA, and even though I'm ridiculously pregnant, I can still perform my job duties. I'm still on orientation/in training and work under the supervision of someone else at all times so they can pick up any slack or step in if I'm screwing something up.

I really do think my job will help get this little one out quicker though. At my 37 week appointment I was 3cm, 70% effaced, and at 0 station. All that walking around every day has jump started my progression I think. I'm hopeful that I'll have this little bugger within the next week. Hopefully. Please?!?!?!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Had me a baby a week ago! Mallory was born at 0635 on February 7th. I developed preeclampsia and was going into HELLP syndrome so I was induced. The Pitocin sucked rear end but luckily my labor was only 3.5-4 hours long so I was still able to do it without an epidural. Minimal tearing too!

She is the greatest thing ever and I'm enjoying every sleepless minute with her!

My only real issues are the fact that my preeclampsia still hasn't completely resolved and I'm not producing enough milk yet so Mal has yet to regain any weight she has lost. I try to supplement with formula but she will have none of it. She absolutely will not drink it...so my OB prescribed some Reglan to help stimulate my own supply. Hopefully with a bit of pumping I can get this girl the calories she needs to grow. Not being able to supply your own child with the food she needs is a very disheartening feeling.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I just want to hear that I'm not alone. That i'm not crazy for thinking things like that or feeling this way.

You are NOT alone! I had my daughter on February 7th a I have experienced every single thing you described in your post. She is turning three weeks tomorrow and I can tell you it has already gotten so much better! The every 2 hour feeding schedule is absolutely killer. I did it for about a week and a half and was miserable every second. No sleep, stressed out of my mine. On top of it all I was told I wasn't making enough milk so I was put on Reglan which has the awesome side effects of drowsiness, anxiety, and depression!

But it DOES get better. Even just moving to an every 3 hour feeding schedule has helped immensely. It's still scary and stressful but it does get better. I had all the expectations in the world of breastfeeding and while I still am I have also been pumping and supplementing with formula for the last two weeks. It saddens me that I haven't been able to exclusively breast feed her but you do what you can live with. Once I realized this, my anxiety and depression lifted and I have been able to enjoy the time I spend with my daughter.

It WILL get better and soon I think! The first couple of weeks suck, no doubt. But you will get used to your new life and start to enjoy it, I promise!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So breastfeeding can stop the period from coming back, but does that mean we don't have to practice birth control?

You absolutely need to practice some form of birth control. Breastfeeding often reduces the chances of getting pregnant but it still happens quite frequently. I would inquire about birth control the next time you see your OB. There are lots of options out there for breastfeeding mothers.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

zonohedron posted:

So Andrew's a month old, and has started doing something new - some of the time when he's done nursing, rather than unlatching he'll pull his head back as far as he can until the nipple pops out of his mouth.

Haha my three week old does this too. I thought it was only my kid. Nice to know I'm not alone in the pain!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

The crying...Jesus the crying! My daughter is 4 weeks old today. For the last few days she has decided that nothing makes her happy except sucking. Unless she is nursing or sucking on a pacifier she is full of rage. Non-stop crying. I don't think it's pain because she manages to sleep pretty well through the night. She just...hates the world right now I guess.

Please tell me this is a phase! Please don't tell me this is a phase called colic :( She does seem to have an intolerance to cows milk protein but she has been exclusively breast fed for the last week and I have cut out milk from my own diet. I am moving on to cutting out all dairy from today on to see if that helps...

It just seems like some switch flipped and she's really unhappy now. Anyone else deal with this and what sort of things helped? I have two more weeks until I return to work and right now I can't wait. I hate to say it but the idea of someone else taking care of my daughter for 8 hours a day is so friggen awesome.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Good lord I thought my little one had a lot of hair! Congrats! So cute.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

15 more weeks, give or take, and I get to hold my little girl and stop worrying about all this.

You'll just have a whole new set of things to worry about!

As for tummy time, my little one is about 6 weeks old now. She tolerates tummy time a lot better than when she was younger but still fusses a bit sometimes. I think, in general, babies have a lot to get used to in the first couple months of life so anything new can really freak them out at first. Like anything, time and repetition will help them to get over scary tummy time or terrifying bath time!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

I just want to say for all the ladies who are currently experiencing breastfeeding issues...PLEASE do not beat yourself up over it. Please do not beat yourself up over anything you are experiencing. I tried exclusively breastfeeding between the 3rd and 4th week but gave up after she didn't gain anything and was horribly upset the entire time because she was so hungry all the time. So we went to pumping and supplementing.

The issues I was having was that she has been having blood in her stools since she was about 2 weeks old. At the 7 week mark she still had this issue. We saw a GI specialist who told us that it was likely something that I'm eating that is passing though my milk into her. She suggested I go on a ridiculously restricted diet that consists of my being able to eat essentially 7 things. Then she wanted to put Mal on a special formula. She would not eat it. Absolutely not. I felt that if I fed her my milk I was causing damage to her gut but if I didn't she wouldn't eat. I had a breakdown. Literal breakdown. I tried to hurt myself, my husband called 911, and I was put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold. I was just discharged yesterday.

My point is: please do not beat yourself up. If you think you have postpartum depression please seek help. I was in denial about how anxious and nervous I was around my child and how stressed I was about being a new parent and it all caught up with me the other night. Being away from my baby for 3 days made me realize that all the stress and anxiety isn't worth it. I never want to experience that pain ever again. It's hard. It's the hardest thing I have ever done and probably the hardest thing I ever will do. But the truth is, we can only do the best we can and make the decisions we feel are best for our children. They will survive in spite of us.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

I've started my restricted diet today. No dairy, wheat, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree-nuts, or shellfish. It's been about 3-4 days since she's had any visible blood in her stools though. We're going to test for blood in about a week and then again a week after that. We'll see...

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Moms Stuffing posted:

I'm placing my bets on dairy or soy because those are also common ingredients in formula, and you said she was having issues on the formula as well.

We have been using a corn based formula for weeks now. She hasn't been on milk based formula since week 2 or 3.

And dreamcatcher, the test is a stool guaiac test, not an allergy blood test.

Mangue fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 1, 2012

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Daemoxx posted:

Quick question involving looking for work:
At what point is it necessary to divulge to a potential employer that you're pregnant? I have a few interviews coming up (just lost my job, really don't want to be dependent on unemployment) and am not sure where that line falls. I'm 12 weeks in -- hearing that I need leave 6 months out will probably be a dealkiller for most employers, but I don't know at what point I need to actually tell them. Also, if I do get a job somewhere, when and how should I break that news? I imagine even if I start showing, people will assume I'm just fat because of the whole beard thing.

This is complicated in ways I never expected. :(

I feel your pain (except for the whole beard thing.) I was 15 weeks pregnant when I interviewed for my job about a year ago. I didn't bring up the fact that I was pregnant during the interview. It took them four weeks to offer me the job and the entire time I was stressing about when/how I should tell them. I was terrified to bring it up during those four weeks for fear they'd just throw out my application (even though it would have been illegal.) I didn't end up telling them until I was officially offered the position. I was very surprised by their response. Total excitement for me!

So you never really know how people will react. I know it's a stressful situation but people may surprise you. What type of job are you going for by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

I'm at the point, however, where the rib pain is radiating to my mid and upper back and there's no relief. I spent about half-an-hour sitting in a hot bath just bawling my eyes out. The only thing that helps is either swimming or leaning against a wall and shifting from side-to-side. It leaves me feeling so defeated.

My husband's cousin is a nurse and said it's very possible that I'm having contractions and just feeling them in my back.

This is entirely possible. The day before I was "induced" for PIH I was having pretty severe back pain that was only partially relieved from showers/warm baths. I say "induced" because looking back, I was probably in the very early stages of labor and thus I was more likely augmented.

For me, contractions made it difficult to breathe and made my back feel like it was being twisted into knots, if that makes sense. Either way, best of luck! Hopefully your little one comes sooner rather than later!