Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We use tiny baby nail scissors. It's hard when she's wiggling a lot but seeing the scratches on her face is worse. She's got a scar on her eyelid from when she was just a few days old.

http://pigeon.info/products/item/index-240.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our home visit was scheduled. They called two weeks in advance to confirm if the day/time was OK.
She checked Bug's weight and surveyed us about how she was doing, if we had enough support, signs of PPD and gave us information about vaccination schedules.

I know some people (especially in North America) are furious about privacy, but turning down the home visit around here (Japan) would seem suspicious.

EDIT: How long did your post-partum hair loss last? Bug's 4 months old now and I'm still collecting 2 giant hairballs everytime I shower :ohdear:

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 25, 2011

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Home births are also growing in popularity in the US because so many people are uninsured or underinsured. If everything goes well, a home birth can save the family a significant amount of money.

(I live outside the US and gave birth 3 weeks early in a hospital.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

They might be confusing schedule for a routine. Moving to the bedroom around the same time every night is the best you can do with a newborn.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

foxatee posted:

Will someone please give me a better description of what a Braxton Hicks contraction feels like? My belly is like a drat rock right now. No matter what position I'm in or if I get up and walk around, it's a ROCK. I'm at 33 weeks.

That happened to me a lot. The doctor gave me was they call in the US a non-stress test (monitor strapped to your belly for 30 minutes.) It was diagnosed as premature labor and the pills didn't work so I was put on hospital bedrest for 2 weeks. She still got born 3 weeks early so please take it seriously.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

YES! Thank you. Our area, the Seto Inland Sea, was completely unaffected. No one around here felt it. I didn't watch TV yesterday until my US friends started asking me if I was OK. All of our friends and extended family are safe.
There's no emoticon to describe how I feel.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's a baby products company called GOON in my prefecture. We use GOON brand of buttwipes and disposables for Bug... that's our penguin buttwipe case.

http://www.babygoo-n.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I use a bucket with a lid for cloth diapers. I also use it when prewashing poop off. Sometimes I hang it on the laundry pole outside to dry out and destink. We do laundry at least every 3 days.
Disposables go into the regular trash. Poopy disposablse get wrapped in a produce bag then chucked.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Going back to work 1 week after childbirth sounds impossible to me. I could hardly go grocery shopping then. And babies don't sleep on demand.

Why are you against using powdered milk? The stress of working and pumping will be pretty hard on your wife. Pumping isn't fun. Without having the baby with her, she might not be able to pump enough. The hormones released by being with the baby are important to stimulate milk. Bug was in the NICU for two weeks and I couldn't get flowing well until she was home with me.

Powdered milk might save you. I think it's unreasonable for you guys to not consider it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe what I wrote sounded like that because I didn't use the word "supplement." I didn't say "don't bother pumping."
I encourage breastfeeding and pumping. But I don't want anyone to think that supplementing with powdered milk is bad. Especially if the mom is expected back at work one week later. Pumping is time consuming and a lot of stress.

"Breast is best" and all that but a lot of people need to supplement too. I don't think it's something to be stubborn about if the family is going crazy because no one gets to sleep.

My hospital used powdered milk for all the NICU babies. Breastfeeding isn't sterile either.

EDIT: If she can pull it off, then she's amazing and I'm totally jealous of her boob power. But I want to be realistic. And no one should feel guilty about supplementing with powdered milk.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 27, 2011

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This is more extreme than I thought. My mom went to med school after I started kindergarten. She would go straight to bed as soon as she got home. If she had 24 hours between shifts she would cook dinner, but everything else my dad had to do. He was pretty much a Single Dad.

It sounds dangerous for your wife and the patients. Loans suck and you said she has residency goals but your wife is underestimating how intense it will be. Taking care of a baby between rotations... :psyduck:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've got mastitis :ohdear: Thanks to this thread for teaching me the symptoms so I recognized it right away. Yesterday was feverhell but luckily my family was around to take care of Bug while I slept and slept and slept. The fever is still there but ibuprofen keeps it down. The pain isn't as bad as the non-fever duct problems I had when I first started nursing.

My friend and I had a fenugreek party (the Indian restaurant hooked me up) and this is what happens when my supply suddenly doubles. I think it's the lump's fault. :arghfist::mad:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pumping didn't work well for me but a nipple shield did the trick. Bottle/nipple confusion doesn't usually last for long.
Bug gets both everyday like a champ.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Speaking of which, Ariza, what happened with your situation? Is your wife all right?

I went into work today to discuss my part-time return. Bug will be 6 months when I'm back. We're locked into the school year schedule (starts in April), otherwise I might stay home a little longer...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sometimes an extra 20ml is all it takes for Bug to go from crazy to asleep for 6 hours. Whether she drinks it or not, she seems to find it comforting.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Janelle posted:

Question: At what week did you all start dilating? I'm at 33w and have already been feeling the painful contractions down there. And before someone asks, it's not Braxton-Hicks. My BH contractions I feel higher and there is no pain, just a tightening. The real contractions are painful enough to wake me up at night and feel like intense cramping.

I felt long tightness sometimes from around 25 weeks. had a scan at 32 weeks that showed Bug was dropping low. They hooked up a monitor ("non-stress test") and confirmed early contractions. They put me in the hospital on an IV drip for 2 weeks, then released me with the same medicine in pills. Bug was born 3 days after my medicine ran out. She was too small and spent 2 weeks in the NICU.
My friend went into labor while her IV was still in D:

The kid might just be punching you in the crotch, but please take it seriously. Go get a monitor test.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My nurses said 15 minutes a side. And to start on the side with the lower supply.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We bathed Bug in the hospital before she was discharged. Afterwards we rubbed a disinfectant q-tip the under the black stub. Bathing, feeding and a diaper change were mandatory practices before we got to take her home.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MarshallX- How often are you trying to feed him in the afternoons? It could be he's just snacking because he's not fully hungry. When Bug is being crazy I take her on a long walk/outing like going grocery shopping. Sometimes just changing rooms is enough to make her calm down.

This metal song is also known to calm down babies in Japan.
Seiki Matsu - Rou Ningyo no Yakata (The House of the Wax Dolls) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqRb30At9e4
versus baby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo78aBj1ofk

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bug both breastfeeds and bottlefeeds with formula. The amount of formula she drinks changes everyday. Sometimes it's 550ml, sometimes it's 250ml. How hungry she is changes with the weather, how long she slept, how much wiggling she's done, and how much breastmilk she gets. If she can finish 140ml at a time (7 months now) we're impressed. Often it's just 80ml.
For now, just make a smaller amount in the afternoon, and if he needs more then give him a refill. If it takes an hour then it sounds like he's not actually hungry.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Janelle posted:

Anyone experience mastitis?

"Heat, (massage), rest, empty breast."
Do you have anyone who can squeeze it out for you? When I had it, Bug didn't like to nurse in the problem area because it was hard work to get the milk out. The nurses/LC at the hospital went at it for half an hour and unplugged the duct.
They also recommended nursing in a different position. I had to stop doing across-the-chest with Bug and change to the armpit "football" hold exclusively.
And of course, squeezing it out in a hot bath/shower.

We're practicing the sitting position now and I'm paranoid that it might not drain well enough and mastitis will come back ;; But we gotta get this down well for when she goes on an airplane for 11 hours!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My brother wanted to be surprised, and never shared any name ideas. People were fine with that. As suggested above, if people demand to know which color they need to buy stuff in, well, frogs are cool for girls too! Yellow, Red, Light Blue, Yellow-green Rainbow, Polka Dots, Purple, Cream/Brown... all of those are gender-neutral and will look fabulous with any baby.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's natural - The name is a much more important decision than what diapers to use. I think people put too much thought into the birth process, when all that matters is a healthy kid in a stable home without a stupid name. (Or stupid spelling.)

We're gonna try weaning around a year (I think.) She drinks half breastmilk and half powdered milk. I've gone back to work part-time since 6 months and having the flexibility of someone else feeding her is a lifesaver. Pumps don't work for me. Sometimes breastfeeding is the only thing that will put her to sleep so I'll keep doing it at night until she decides to stop.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Hi, guys! Incoming wall of text, sorry: skip it if you don't want to read about tricky labor and deliveries.

So yeah, we did a C-section. The doctors whisked her away to the NICU; she was on a breathing tube for ~48 hours; it was scary as hell. Then she perked right up and has been completely fine.

Your problems weren't neccesarily caused by the medication. I took nothing but was hospitalized for premature labor, finally popped at just under 37 weeks, then had trouble dialating. Bug was put in an incubator for a week for oxygen, with 2 weeks in the NICU total. Babies born early often have weak lungs. It sounds like they were very attentive to the problems and moved things through calmly and efficiently.

It's very likely your doctor will want to do the 2nd delivery by C-section. That will remove a lot of the variables that gave you trouble the first time.

peanut fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 1, 2011

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I found I was hungry and/or had heartburn, especially in the beginning and end, and got permission from my boss to keep konnyaku jellies around and snack on them during work hours. I also got priority for sandbox duty (sitting in the shade) while the other teachers were out on the playground.

For most people, the first 6 months are fine for working normally. My work switched me from full-time to hourly for my last month and they were right- I sometimes was too tired, or feeling unwell, and needed to leave early. Then they asked me to leave for the last three months and they were right again- a physical job like kindergarten, in full August heat, just wasn't possible.

But as long as I was awake, I kept doing sit-down stuff until Bug was born. Even when they put me on bedrest for 3 weeks I was painting Halloween decorations for work.

After birth is important too- how long is her maternity and/or unpaid leave? I was lucky enough to have my job waiting for me when Bug turned 5-6 months-ish. It was all unpaid maternity leave, but I'd rather have that than have paid leave and need to decide between quitting, or going back after 4 weeks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

All the food stuff is pretty bullshit- then again, the US does have a bad food safety record...
Here in Japants even the hospital offered sashimi. Cheese, raw eggs, even a little booze* is considered OK here.

*A glass of wine on the weekend is healthier than drinking diet Coke everyday.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If any of you are having what you think are Braxton-Hicks, but they seem to be lasting for a long time, even if you lay down, get your doctor to do a "Non-Stress Test" (contractions monitor) on you. What I was told by the internet was BH was actually pre-term labor and the only thing that got it under control was IV drugs and a hospital stay. Bug was still born too early, and I have a friend who went into labor even with her IV still in. Take it seriously!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our hospital (in Japan) gave us a little box to keep the stump in. We still have it in her dresser, but my husband and I don't really want it... maybe we'll give it to her as a gag gift when she graduates from high school? :dance:

My period came back right before Bug turned 1 and I've pretty much lost my breastmilk.

This is the photo we used for our New Year's card (year of the Dragon). Bug at 1 year 2 months :3
EDIT: Attachment didn't work? Whatevs.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 12, 2012

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We inherited a crib, stroller and carseat A from my sister-in-law. A friend gave us another carseat B, so we can have one in each car.
Carseat A has an elaborate system of hooks in the back and sides, and has a pedal to stabilize it against the floor. It reclines completely so it's good for newborns, but it was a son-of-a-bitch to put in at first.
Carseat B just clips in quickly with the seatbelt. It doesn't recline far so it's only good for 3 months+ after the neck is stronger. But it's easy to pop out and put in for when I need to move a lot of stuff, or put it into my mother-in-law's car...

If I had to just choose one, it would be A with the newborn setting. But by golly it's nicer having 2.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You're freaking out, everything is probably normal. Try to think about some non-baby stuff like weekend trips and rearranging the house.

Also, this might be hard to believe, but the big prep can be done after the kid is born. They can sleep in a travel basket until you've got your rhythm down.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Are these invasive tests standard in the US now?
How often are regular ultrasound scans done?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Why the hell does an ultrasound cost $500?!?! :bahgawd: It's just jelly and photo paper... (things are not that insane outside the US)

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 5, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dang, I thought twins were c-section by default these days. Best of luck!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Poll: If a pube falls in the pee cup do you take it out or leave it in

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sounds like too much effort for something you don't even know if you'll need yet :shrug: Unless you can find a shaman that hand-carves wooden baby products, you'll have to accept some made-in-Thailand synthetics.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Even if you get an epidural, all the post-birth pain is the same. Plus a sore spine from the epidural.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The signatures on those boards are barftastic.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That should be fine at 21 weeks. Those warnings are more about liability than risk. Just don't go into the bath alone, and stop as soon as you feel light headed or uncomfortable.

Edit: I live in :japan: and the birthrate would drop to zero if hot springs were b&. I've only heard of high-risk women in first/third trimester being limited to showers.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 23, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The hospital gave me plain vasoline, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kawaii, excellent name :swoon: