Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
The reason I realized I was having BH is because one of them got "stuck" and my stomach stayed rock-hard for 2 hours. I was diagnosed with an irritable uterus. That is literally the medical term they gave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I had a cat that demanded to sit on my bump. He doesn't give a gently caress about the baby.

Twatty Seahag fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 22, 2011

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My husband and I agree that the moment of our daughter's birth was one of the most amazing of our lives. I have never been more in love with him than when I saw his expression holding her for the first time. :)

I got an epidural from the moment I was admitted and told I could have one. I was 4cm and was told it could be 2 hours before the anesthesiologist got down there, and I didn't want to gently caress with that timing. I planned to "wait and see" but I had back labor and had no interest in toughing it out. It went well for me and I have no regrets.

My epidural didn't actually work the way I wanted it to. They will usually have you turn from one side to the other so gravity distributes the medicine, but every time I turned to my right the baby's heart rate went down so I had to stay on my back. It was really weird to have one side completely numb (which is NOT what I wanted) and one side fully aware feeling everything. I could tell when I needed to push and the epidural kept me from feeling much pain when I delivered. I couldn't pee for like 3 hours afterward though, which sucked. I had to keep asking them to cath me.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

Yeah, he's a brusier. He's recently started doing a lot of smiling though so having him stand on my lap grinning in my face is kinda cool :3:

Our daughter would do this thing where she'd stiffen up her whole body if you pulled on her hands, so you could pull her from laying down into a standing position like a little mummy. Babies are awesome. :3:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
That sucks, I've heard that gallstones can be extremely painful. :( There are definitely some goon moms who have had them and hopefully they will chime in. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

legbeard posted:

So, I need some advice about getting my breast milk back. I had a pretty rough day a few days ago and I just was so depressed over everything that has been going on that I didn't pump for a whole day. 

The nurses have advised me to pump every two hours now, which I'm doing, and getting less than an oz each time. I'm also using Mother's Milk Tea. But I was wondering if anyone had more advice for me. My mother heard somewhere that drinking a glass of wine or a beer would help bring it back. 

Just for a quick update, my daughter is still in the NICU but doing pretty well. The last thing was to get her to hold her own body temperature, the next thing is to get her off the feeding tube and onto the bottle. 

Make sure you're getting enough calories too! Oatmeal and plenty of water helped me when my supply took a hit from being sick. I've heard the beer thing too. :) I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing well!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread for my question, but here goes:

Is it possible for a woman to get pregnant by sticking a just disposed condom up her vagina so she can get pregnant and trap her boyfriend into a long term relationship?

I know most condoms have spermicide, but is it enough? even for a huge rear end load?

DJ Tom Leykis recommended pouring tabasco in the condom to prevent this kind of situation, but I really don't feel like messing with hot sauce after sex.

I want to just flush the whole thing down the toilet, but i'm afraid it will screw up the plumbing.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Sever.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

DjCoax posted:

It's now 2.30PM here and she has been sleeping all day. Just talked to her on the phone and it's still going. Apparently someone told her to drink lots and lots of water. If that makes the contractions disappear , it's Braxton Hicks.

They certainly won't induce her. While 37 weeks is technically full-term , they would like our baby girl to be a little stronger during delivery. Thanks for the tips though.

Seeing her in agony all the time is really difficult. Wish I could bear some of that pain for her.

This happened to me as well, I ended up actually going into labor a few days later. Just do whatever you can to help her out and be understanding if she's frustrated and takes it out on you. It really does take a lot out of you. She should definitely try to stay hydrated. Usually BH will go away if you change positions, rest, etc.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We did the No Cry Sleep Solution techniques around 3 months, and it worked like a charm. She would go to sleep after about 30 minutes and sleep in her crib without a peep for 4-5 hours, then another 2 after nursing. After that I'd bring her into bed with me to nurse until I had to get up for the day. I was very :smug: about it for about 3 months and then everything went to hell on a slow downward spiral. Now we have our crib sidecarred and have been cosleeping exclusively.

She is 12 months old and nowhere near ready to be night weaned. Sometimes she will sleep 6 hours and only wake up two or three times, but sometimes she will still wake up 6-8 times.

Looking back I think we created a good nighttime routine for her, but it was just too early for any kind of lasting impression. I really believe some babies are just straight-up lovely sleepers, and you just have to deal with the cards you are dealt.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I went back to work when my daughter was 8 weeks old. F- would not recommend unless you really love your job. :(

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I think you may want to bring this up to your ped, because if it's really that bad there may be some underlying issues. Even just ruling something more severe out might help you guys relax a bit.

I had The Fussiest Baby and she was a lot like that until she was about 10 weeks old. The only time she was happy was nursing or being swaddled, forget ever putting her down until you rocked/nursed her into a coma. I kept looking at that "Peak Fussiness Chart" in Happiest Baby and was literally marking days on the calendar until she was 2 months.

Does your wife drink a lot of caffeinated beverages? Cutting out all caffeine seemed to help my daughter settle a bit.

I also had a newborn in Wisconsin winter and we went to the mall and Target a lot just to get out of the house. I found a coffee shop I felt comfortable nursing at and spent a lot of time there too.

Please feel free to PM me, I don't know what city you're in but if it's anywhere near Racine/Milwaukee or Madison I am happy to offer more suggestions. :)

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Report both of them. I work at a hospital, that poo poo would not fly, especially from a lab tech.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Seconding your own towel. And your own pillows! The shower I had the morning after delivery was probably the best-feeling shower I've ever had.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, my kid is 12 months old and I still haven't had a period. I've taken a couple pregnancy tests in a moment of panic.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Ate a ton of my favorite foods, washed and put away all the cute baby clothes, laid around watching Netflix and cuddling with my husband, floated around in my ym's pool, tried not to think about my due date.

Pregnant women hate hearing this but at least in my experience it's loving true: relax and sleep while you can. People told me this and I rolled my eyes like the giant cranky pregnant bitch I was, but I should have listened.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

I wish I had gotten off my rear end and finished a handful of projects I had laying around my house. I was all :smug: thinking "I'll just do it when the baby is napping" and those projects are still laying around unfinished 14 months later.

Yeah, same here. It never crossed my mind that my baby would not nap or sleep without my boob in her mouth. :suicide: Case in point: there is a 3-month size sweater for her on knitting needles missing a sleeve. She is 13 months old.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I have been on the mini-pill for about a year with no side effects, no problems with supply at all! I also had to take Plan B once and my supply only dropped slightly the day after. You absolutely have to use something though, I personally know 4 women IRL who got pregnant with babies under 4 months old.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
One of my friends loaned me her amplifier-type system at my baby shower, and I really liked it. At that point I was massively pregnant so it was pretty easy to locate her and find her heartbeat. I liked it because she had long periods of inactivity and the whole juice/laying on side thing didn't work, so it was comforting to tell the triage nurse I could find her heartbeat the couple times I was worried enough to call.

Also I had a hard time sleeping by then, and it was kind of soothing to listen to her in the dark before bed. :3:

One word of warning, my OB said it's really easy to confuse your own heartbeat/bloodflow to the uterus with the baby's if you don't know what exactly you're listening for.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
One of the best ways to encourage supply is to get in bed topless with your baby in diaper only and snuggle and nurse all day. We did this a few times and it was AWESOME. You both can nap and cuddle, and you can make your partner bring you snacks, books, and DVDs all day. I had my husband set up the Wii in our bedroom and watched Netflix all day. Good times, I wish I had an excuse to do that now!

In the end it's all about what works best for you and your baby. No one (who matters at least) should judge you for supplementing with or exclusively using formula. The most important thing is a happy, healthy, mom and baby.

Congrats to all the new goon moms btw! :)

PS - Just for extra encouragement, I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 14 months and we're still going strong. It gets so much easier! Here is my facebook status update from when she was 5 weeks old: "I really think breastfeeding is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do and today I'm tempted to throw in the towel. FRUSTRATION" Among other gems like "1am is an unacceptable bedtime" and "I just heard my baby poo poo over the baby monitor." Ahhh, memories.

Twatty Seahag fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 29, 2012

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Redhead here. I had a 2nd degree tear that was really no big deal, I felt nothing even when they fixed it. I never even had to take painkillers afterwards. My doc doesn't do episiotomies.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We still put our 17-month-old, 23 lb-er in the ergo. We can do any of the carries with it depending on the situation. She likes back carries for shopping and front carries for long walks and napping on the go. We also have a moby but she never really got into that.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Randomity posted:

One of us holds her and the other eats quickly, then we switch.

That's how we did it. Sometimes I nursed her while eating, too.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My epidural made my right leg completely numb but everywhere else had feeling. My husband had to hold my dead leg up so I could push. I couldn't pee afterward and asked for a catheter because I could feel how full my bladder was and couldn't do anything about it. Weirdest feeling ever!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Congrats! Simple starches like rice, pasta, and potatoes helped me until the nausea passed around 14 weeks. Sour candies (especially Lemonheads) helped too. Not super healthy but got me through it!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

So, I have some good news!

I had my childbirth class today, and I told my instructor about my back and rib pain. She showed me different positions I could do to help relieve the pain, and showed my husband different massage techniques. The combination of the two helped a lot with the pain. My favorite position at the moment is either laying on my side with a pillow between my legs while he massages my back and side, or sitting backwards in a chair with a pillow while he gives me a massage.

I also feel a lot more prepared after the class. Most of what she covered I already knew, but my husband learned how to be a really good coach for me. The staff at the hospital is also really great, and the rooms are spacious and private. They also have a very low c-section rate and are very supportive of both natural and medicated births. So, with being able to manage the pain a bit better and having my husband as an even better form of support, I'm feeling better.

I still intend to book a massage and am determined to get my OB to either listen to me more, or I'll switch to the other doctor in the office.

That's awesome! I hope you continue to get better support. Have you thought about a doula at all? My friend is a doula and is awesome at advocating against lovely OBs.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

rangergirl posted:

When did you all start creating a bedtime routine? Toby is a month old and he's waking up every 2-3 hours at night still, I try to keep him awake as much as possible during the day and feed him frequently (my pediatrician's advice) but the kid could sleep through a bomb going off 2 feet from his head, and I have a hard time keeping him awake if I do actually get him to wake up. He currently is getting up at 4am every morning and not going back to sleep until 10am or so too. I would really like to encourage him to sleep a little later in the morning if it's at all possible, I would be happy with 5 or 6 at this point. Is he too young at a month to really try to establish a bedtime?

That sounds about right! We started a "routine" around 3 months. No set bedtime, just looking for sleepy signs and then diaper, jammies, paci, rocking in the dark/nursing. To encourage "sleepytime" we kept lights dim even if it was technically morning. We had a blackout curtain. We didn't start a firm bedtime until around 9 months when she started crawling and all hell broke loose.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Go to the doctor. Call them, tell them she has an IUD and is pregnant.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Please be really careful cosleeping. Having blankets really close to a tiny baby's face is really dangerous. I'm on my phone so I can't type much but we coslept and I used to work for a pediatrician, so I can give you some info about safe bedsharing if you're interested. :) Congrats on the cute babby!

Edit: Beaten! Those are really good links.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
At night we used a pack n play next to the bed because I was too nervous with us being so sleep-deprived. For naps I would lay her down on her back next to me at chest level and I used my arm as a pillow for myself. I covered my legs with a light quilt because it wasn't fluffy. I swaddled her in the cosleeper but never in bed. Once she could move around and roll I was way less nervous.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I puked once during pregnancy, and it was from a stinky guy with alcohol breath covered by toothpaste smell. Strong smells made me dry heave sometimes too.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We used clippers from the beginning, and she'll sit quietly and let me do it now at almost 2. We never had any issues.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

An Cat Dubh posted:

I've been sleeping with a pillow under my knee the past few nights and it seems to be helping with the hip pain, so thanks everyone for the suggestion. I'm at 20 weeks today and starting to get my first real craving: decaf gingerbread lattes and actually anything gingerbread related. I don't know if being pregnant during Christmastime is going to be the best or worst thing food wise.

The best! My daughter was born 1/11 and the holidays were full of lounging and eating delicious things. I regret nothing.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Hdip posted:

My wife had to be out of the house for half the day yesterday. She breastfed around 10 AM. Then was gone until 4 PM and breastfed shortly after that. That evening her breast felt "rock hard" and she had chills like a fever for awhile. Today she slept most of the day. Her fever came back and it is 101.3 Her left breast is red but doesn't feel hard.

Mastitis? Anything we can do for her at home since tomorrow almost everything is closed?

Ibuprofen, warm compresses, keep the breast empty. I had mastitis and it was awful, don't gently caress around with it. I would say if it's red with fever and chills, get seen tonight. Mine got painful really fast and I had to take a very strong course of antibiotics.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I looked 6 months pregnant for a week, then 4 months pregnant for a while. Honestly you just have to kind of put it on the backburner and focus on resting and taking care of you and baby for a while. I really liked wearing nursing tanks under sweaters because it gave me some support. At the end of the day, you just made a human so go easy on yourself. :)

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Congrats new goon moms and dads! :3:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

SmokeyXIII posted:

Forgive me for the EXCEEDINGLY goony question but I've been really curious lately. My wife is pregnant with our first one, shes 33 weeks along, getting really excited and such. I'm just curious how much video games I can realistically expect to play once the baby is around? I hate to sound like "OH NO MY VIDEO GAMES" but I really don't mean it that way, just legitimately curious about how all enveloping a new baby can be, will it be literally 24/7 no time for video games anymore?

Our daughter was colicky and pretty high-needs (heck, she still is now at 2). My husband still found time for gaming because newborns sleep a LOT. Here is my biggest piece of advice on that front:

DO NOT PLAY GAMES YOU CANNOT PAUSE unless you are willing to just walk away consequences be damned (League of Legends :argh:)

I don't think deciding on set times to play works too well in those early days because babies won't care about your schedule. Our daughter had to sleep ON someone for the first few weeks and my husband would lay her out on his chest while he played.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Lyz posted:

Liability, liability, liability. If you're acting depressed and he doesn't get everything down on paper that you're fine, then he's facing a possible malpractice suit if you hurt yourself. Health care is a ridiculously uncaring profession.

As a healthcare worker I'm sorry if this is your experience, but I find this incredibly insulting.

Those questionnaires may seem tedious, but not only is it required by law in most places, it can also serve as a baseline in case you start to have issues at some point during the pregnancy or post-partum. We had moms fill those out when I worked in peds and we still do it even in organ transplantation.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Alterian posted:

Please don't actually do this. I really wanted to have a natural birth really bad but I wasn't able to. I felt like utter poo poo and sometimes it still really bothers me. I had a complete emotional breakdown in the delivery room when I had to "give in" and have an epidural and if someone lorded that over me that they were better than me and more "hardcore" than me, It'd be really hard not to smack the poo poo out of them. Its not fair to judge anyone's birth experience like that because you don't know what they went through.

Totally agree. I know Copernic was trying to be funny, but "mompetition" is a seriously lovely thing that happens CONSTANTLY, especially about birth stories and breast vs. formula feeding.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Our daycare has a rule that babies cannot be in a crib with a bottle, it has to be fed by a teacher. That may be what was going on. Try to remember this is an adjustment period for BOTH of you. It's hard to trust someone enough to let them take care of your baby. My daughter is 2 (today, actually!) and has been in daycare since about 8 months old. My husband is a teacher and they spend summers home together. She always has a rough time for a couple of weeks in September, and sometimes after a long weekend. The teachers are learning how best to take care of her, too. One time recently, I forgot my daughter's nap mat and I actually snuck into her school to give it to the teacher because I knew if she saw me, all hell would break lose. :) She was running around playing and having fun, and it made me so happy. I promise it will get better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Definitely ask your OB. I was extremely active before I got pregnant and was told I could continue with my normal activities, but not to try anything new or push myself beyond where I was at the time. My good friend ran a marathon 6 months pregnant, so yeah, you don't have to sit around all day! :)