Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

I do not have endo, however my mom did and experienced pretty bad cramping during her last pregnancy to the point she pulled herself put of work the last two trimesters. On the other hand, my aunt also has endo and pregnancy was the only time in her entire life that she didn't have cramping and pain so I guess as with everything in pregnancy ymmv.

I hit 10 weeks tomorrow and for the past 5, I have a bit of cramping for like a day then all is well. I've been learning ( this is my first kiddo ) that for as many pregnant women there are that many different experiences. Its crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Okay, anyone currently pregnant and having old injuries flare up?

I am 15 weeks right now and my right leg/knee has been driving me batshit insane for the past week or so. I cannot get comfortable no matter what.

A couple years ago, I tore my ACL and my meniscus and while I did not get surgery, I had intensive physical therapy. I am not 100%, but I worked my rear end off and have had no real lasting affects in day to day life. Until now.

My leg/knee is driving me NUTS. I can't sit in one position for more than 10 minutes, which results in constant adjusting and fidgeting which really gives me like a couple minutes relief until I get uncomfortable as hell again.

Definitely asking my Midwife on Wednesday when I have my next appointment, but right now I am going shitbag insane.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Ben Davis posted:

Thanks for all the support! I started bleeding again this morning from the subchorionic hematoma mentioned way back and had to go in for an ultrasound. I have to go in for more testing after lunch, but the baby is completely healthy and VERY MALE! And the aforementioned sister-in-law apologized for doubting. So we're having a little male skeleton baby. :)

FWIW, I have always heard that boys are USUALLY easier to see earlier. Apparently both of my stepkiddos had a very obvious penis at 16 and 19 weeks, respectively.

The girls in my family (that were born fairly recently) were both confirmed after 20.

I go for my ultrasound on 9/6 and I will be 19 weeks. I'm excited and hoping we can tell!

It's my first and I would like a girl since I have two stepsons and I'd like to add a girl but I'll be thrilled with either :)

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Ben Davis posted:

Trivial question, now. I've found the perfect sized maternity jeans at Target, but even sized down, it feels like the crotch rides just a little bit low. I'm only in my 2nd trimester, but they have what's supposed to be a 3-tri folding panel. Is saggy crotch par for the course until my belly gets huge?

I have a pair of jeans that do this. They're the most comfortable pair, minus the sag-crotch and that they fall down a lot on the second wear.

All of my other maternity pants are great though, so I'm not sure. I'm hoping that once I pop some more, they'll fit better because I love them lol.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

My vision has gotten worse. I already wear contacts/glasses. I can see but I've degraded to where I'm not 20/20 with them anymore. I can't wear my glasses at all or I get a headache - at least with my contacts that doesn't happen.

Everyone, including my midwife and the internets tell me it will go back to normal once the baby is born (in FIVE MONTHS LOL) and that it can fluctuate through the entire pregnancy so getting a new script for. The duration is pointless.

However I work at a computer all day and it's freaking annoying.

Any suggestions, words of wisdoms or even some suck it up preggos?

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

MoCookies posted:

I've been having this problem with my maternity jeans, too. So I started wearing my belly band on top of the jeans around my hips, and that really helps my pants stay up. As a bonus, I feel like the extra smushing/support helps with the aches and pains I get by the end of the day.

Thanks! I'm going to buy one and try this

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

I'm so excited - called and scheduled my anatomic scan for the 7th of September!!

If it is visible, we do wish to find out the gender. I will be 19w3d.

Anyone exited to find out? Anyone wanting a surprise? I will be equally happy no matter what, but I have two step sons so I'd like to round it out with a girl since I'm about to hit 33, and personal preference I will only have this one child ( maybe one more before 35)

So we kinda want to find out. My fiancé thinks it's a boy, I think it's a girl and he keeps slipping and calling my niece the girls name we picked!

It is finally starting to feel more real now that even if we can't see gender, I'll finally see images of the kiddo that look like a human instead of a weird bean :) plus I am nearly halfway there!

How many of you were NOT able to determine gender?

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Kubricize posted:

We never found out. The first two to try were failures, she just mooned us with her legs folded up tightly. After that, it was never a big deal. I doubt I'll find out when we decide to have other kids. Rarely in life do you get really nice surprises like that, and with all the gender neutral clothing it's easy to dress a kid without sticking them in the 'wrong' colours. This makes us the odds one out though, since everyone and their dog finds out the gender for their baby at like 16 weeks here if possible.

16! I mean I know it's possible, but I thought 18-22 was the best "window" to be big enough but before it gets too cramped in there. And that if it's a girl it's definitely not as easy to confirm as a boy.

I don't want more ultrasounds that I need because my insurance only covers 3, so I decided to wait til 19.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Is anyone else completely psycho right now? I suddenly have a very short fuse and my normally very mellow self is gone. Things that have rolled off my back for 30+ years are setting me off left and right and it has gotten to the point where my personality is unrecognizable.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Just tell her you work x amount of hours a week and are pregnant and exhausted and have been waiting to have some actual free time to buy the gift. It is pretty rude she brought it up and I wouldn't be as nice, but I don't recommend being an rear end in a top hat like me :)

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

So. Cloth diapers.
There are too many choices. Also they are not cheap upfront, but I'm ok with that as they will save us in the long run.

I just have no idea where to start in picking. And nobody I know in real life even knows that cloth diapers are an option.

I am about to get a washer and dryer (yay!!!) so I'd much rather have a stash instead of a service ... Though to be honest the local place is pennies compared to what I'd spend monthly in disposables soooooo

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

So my midwife wrangled me another ultrasound and it is a GIRL!

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Mangue posted:

Anyone looking into the Bradley method should also look for Brio classes in their area. From what I understand, they are very similar. Brio is basically just an updated version of Bradley. There was only like one person in my area who did Bradley but there were 3 people who teach Brio. Try your luck with that and see if it helps to find more classes.

Here is the link to their main website: http://www.briobirth.com/

As a side note, I don't start my Brio classes until next month and I have never taken Bradley so I can't comment on how different/similar they are.
Thank you so much for this... There are only two Bradley instructors in my area and both have classes on the same night at the same time which is the worst time possible for me. Definitely gonna check this out.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Can I just say that I have joined like every pregnant/baby website on the planet and this thread has them all beat? I cannot stand most of the forums on those websites. This thread is a godsend.

2 questions: has anyone visited a chiropractor when pregnant? I found one through my midwife who is at a general chiro practice and he is the practice's chiropractor who focuses only on pregnant women. He was her chiro, and she refers all of her patients to him who ask about it. I guess I just kinda wanna know what to expect and my midwife is on a long awaited vacation this weekend and I refuse to bug her over something not emergency related. My appointment is Monday and I'm nervous for some reason.

2) birthing classes. I am interested in Bradley. None of the Bradley classes work with my schedule at all and neither does the Brio... Waiting for the Brio instructor to get back to me on whether or not she is going to plan on the short course on sundays she was thinking of adding, but I'm not going to get my hopes way up.

If none of these classes are going to work, is buying all the books myself worth doing instead? Or what? I am feeling guilty for not being able to get out of work, but I'm not planning on going back after the baby is born so we need my paycheck right now to save. And my insurance to pay for things until Baby arrives.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Idonie posted:

Yes! I went to a chiropractor when I was 36 weeks in the hopes that the work would shift things around enough that my breech baby would have room to turn. She never did turn, but it made me feel _fantastic_.

I talked to her about what I was looking for, she asked a bunch of questions about where things hurt and had me walk around her treatment area, then lie down on a padded table like a massage table. Since I was so pregnant she had various pads/pillows on it so I could lie on my stomach comfortably. She then went through her standard routine for women with breech babies (which has a specific name but I don't remember it now) -- it involved manipulating my legs a lot while I was face-down, then having me turn over onto my back and doing it all over again. Something about the way her table was set up meant that once she got into the right position she could just hit a button and the table itself moved to stretch my legs -- I can't explain this better because I was face-down relaxing and had pregnancy brain. It was odd to experience but not at all painful and at the end of it my back didn't hurt for the first time in 12 weeks.

After she did all the leg stuff she offered to look at my neck and did a couple of adjustments on it that were startling but left my neck feeling great, and then told me to come back the next week if the baby hadn't turned.

She also had available a lot of weird stuff with magnets & lasers that I found fruitbatty, but she didn't suggest it for me, so I didn't have to figure out how to politely refuse.

Thank you! I am about to hit 23 weeks and I'm getting tons of round ligament pain, but my back and my neck are also KILLING ME. I'm sleeping with a full body pillow, and a configuration of other pillows to get as comfortable as possible but I have been a belly sleeper all of my life and I can't now... So I end up waking every hour or two in some horribly uncomfortable position. Something feels out of whack and it's making me tired on top of the lack of sleep.

I am willing to try Anything at this point and hope this helps. If it does I'm sticking with it through the pregnancy and after heh.

I'm having a homebirth barring any complications but I'm going to at least try to see if one of the hospitals offer some kind of class if the Bradley or Brio doesn't work out.

I really want to try a class to involve my fiancé, as I know he is nervous he will be useless during the birth even though I know he won't. And I know Bradley or brio will really help him with that.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Honestly, this is my first pregnancy and in the beginning every little thing made me nervous as hell. I had lots of "normal" things going on that I questioned. I went to the ER for light bleeding early on and the on call doctor was pretty much dismissive.

Sometimes some compassionate reassurance is all it takes to make me feel better.

I am forever grateful for my midwife who certainly does hear fears of normal stuff on a daily basis and her never-ending patience actually explaining things to me and making me feel confident as I progress. She has been a godsend along with reading this thread.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Another suggestion - if you're not getting what you need from your doctor and you can't change, look into a doula, birthcoach or just take some classes and they may be able to fill in that missing supportive link and they are usually pretty drat educated on all the little things and can ease your mind.

I cannot tell you the amount of silly things that have freaked me out. I've obsessed over my belly size, feeling the baby and other things and have gotten tons of help from my midwife's doula. She won't be my doula, but we started chatting one day after an appointment and she is my total email and text support buddy now.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Idonie posted:

I don't disagree with any of this necessarily, and I am in no way wedded to chiro, but I would like to point out that what the chiropractor I saw did for me had NOTHING to do with adjusting my spine, or trying to treat some neuromusculoskeletal problem. It was effectively a massage, in that she was doing muscle manipulation to stretch out my legs and lower back in the hopes that if I was in less pain, I'd relax more, and the baby would have more room to turn.

Now I would just go to my massage therapist, but I didn't have one at the time, and so my OB agreed a chiropractor was a good call.

I will add in, though, that any chiropractor (or anyone else who isn't an OB working in a hospital setting) who tries to in any way manipulate the baby from the outside should be run away from at the highest possible velocity. And possibly reported to some licensing authority, 'cause that's seriously dangerous.

This. My chiropractor specifically works with pregnant women, was referred to me by my very experienced midwife, and has the seal of approval from several area OBs. If I thought any harm would come to my baby, I would just suck it up and deal with the crippling pain.

However, I had my consult and first "treatment" and it was amazing. He has also worked out a plan with my midwife and myself. I am extremely pleased with him and his ridiculous amount of thoroughness and the fact that he walks me through everything before he does it and asks if I feel comfortable with it first.

There is definitely no manipulation of the baby, and he definitely does not believe in doing so, and his treatment for pregnant women is unlike his treatments for everyone else. His exact statement was that anything to do with baby is off limits to everyone but a medical professional.

ETA: Massage therapy is not covered by my insurance plan... The chiropractor is covered in full - no copay. And like the poster I quoted, treatment for my case is muscular rather than spinal adjustments - definitely muscular massage. It's all mainly my legs, though I had the best freaking shoulder massage of my entire life on that visit.

Doom Catcher fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 4, 2011

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

MoCookies posted:

For me, my first trimester sex issues weren't so much because of the low energy (which definitely sucked), but it was more my new, amazing & annoying sense of smell. Nothing breaks up sexy time like some dry heaving, amirite? I was much more in the mood once my nausea settled down, and I wasn't overreacting to the slightest odors. I think 2nd trimester is also when the graphic sex dreams started up, too. Enitsirk's OB is right on - pregnancy is weird.

Yea it is. My sex drive has been in overdrive since I got pregnant, but my first trimester was ridiculously frustrating because I was so drat sick, I'd get motion sickness from sex (lol) or my gag reflex would go off just from general kissing (WTF). Or... I'd just get nasty cramps and bathroom issues.

Nothing like having to vomit or poop to kill a mood.

Beginning of second trimester was fine... But now that I'm nearing the third I just feel awkward with a growing belly, and it is impossible to get at all comfortable. Fun :/

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

What's it like when they start leaking? No leaking here, but the past few weeks I've been getting clear-whitish crusties in my nipples. Just hitting 24 weeks tomorrow!

Anyway, babygirl is sitting breech right now (or every time I have an ultrasound or exam) but I'm pretty sure that she flips around once in awhile now that I can feel her.

I get kicking in the bottom belly, but once in awhile I just get this godawful sensation and then kicking commences way up high. Don't really notice any more movement but just usually wake up in the morning with kicking at the bottom again.

Can't really feel limbs through the belly very often yet with my inexperienced hands, so I'm not sure.

Is it normal for it to feel so unpleasant? I kinda feel guilty for thinking it does...

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

bamzilla posted:

Yup. It's perfectly normal.

Also, babies will flip around usually until the last few weeks or so when there's little to no more room for them to move so I wouldn't worry about the breech position.

Thanks. I was feeling a bit lovely because I expressed to a friend how unpleasant it felt and she kind of side eyed me and told me it was the most wonderful feeling in the world. And yea, it's definitely freaking amazing to feel and know that's my baby in there but it still doesn't feel nice lol.

I guess I am paranoid about the breech thing because the last three friends that had a kid all went breech and two ended up with a c-section and I'm hoping to avoid it. If it is needed, I won't be heartbroken, but you know.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

I definitely am having a private birth. My plan is a homebirth with my midwife, her assistant and my husband.

We also have a backup for transferring to hospital or if someone else goes into labor and the other midwife has to sub.

I do not want my mom there. I love her but I know it will stress me out, especially because of the drug free homebirth aspect and outdated birth practices I don't agree with. She means well but refuses all attempts for me to show her Bradley info.

I promised she would be the first person I would call, then my dad.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

The Young Marge posted:

Baby clothes are 95% ugly no matter what gender your baby is. If it's not loving Sports All Over the drat Place, it's Pretty Pretty Disney Princess Time. Plaid, stripes or solids will suffice just fine. Dinosaurs are fine; I can also deal with guitars, rockets/space, skulls and robots. I don't get why everything for babies has to be either white, light pink or pastel blue, though. They're just going to poo poo and puke all over everything, so I want darker colors that won't show the stains. And why must they all SAY something? "Mommy's #1 Handsome Little Man!" "Daddy's Tough Guy!" :haw:

I love you for saying this. I LOVE Target but I had a hell of a time finding anything that was not IM PRETTY DISNEY PRINCESS, or anything that wasn't pink. I bought everything that wasn't pink and came home with 5 things, lol.

Mall stores have a better selection, I would just prefer Target prices ;).

I got a bunch of hand me downs thankfully from my brother's daughter that are plain but still cute

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sarsaparilla posted:

I guess I was kind of opposite with the gender. My boyfriend and I were both pretty excited about little boy clothes. When we found out it was going to be a girl, I was disappointed to find everything had hello kitty and butterflies and flowers (dinosaurs and monkeys and superheros are SO much cooler!) Right now we're focusing on a fairly pink-less nursery/baby stuff, a difficult task to undertake - let me tell you!

I live in Chicago and my due date is in late January and I've quickly gone from a size small to a size "small+smuggling basketball." Anybody else having trouble with maternity winter coats? I don't want to spend 100+ for something I'll wear for a month or two, tops.

I'm due January 30, and I cannot find anything fairly inexpensive either :(

I already tried my puffy coat and my nice peacoat and neither of them come close to closing.

I found a couple that weren't ridiculously dumpy or rainbow bright-ish and they were all $100+

If anyone has any ideas I would be thrilled as well

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

You know, I plan on baby wearing this, and any future kids. I'm going to just get a bigger cheap coat (definitely checking for the $20 Kmart peacoat!!!) so I can close it over the baby.

Thanks!

In other news, after the past month of bitching to myself I finally admitted to my midwife how much effin pain I am in and she talks to me about Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction. So yeah... Off to find a belly band of some kind. Anyone have a favorite for dealing with this ridiculous level of pain and inability to walk?

My belly looks like a soccer ball... I cannot imagine how bad this will hurt as I go through trimester 3.

I've also started peeing myself if I laugh too hard or sneeze or cough unless I have literally JUST PEED.

So off to buy something for that lovely problem as well.

You know, all of my parent friends talked about how lovely and amazing and pretty and magical pregnancy was while we were trying.. Now that I am, I get gleeful stories of pain and discharge and all kinds of fun stuff. I find it hard to believe that I will miss being pregnant like everyone says I will!

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

yawnie posted:

Helpful Words

Thank you. She pretty much told me everything you just said, and told me to try a cheaper band first.

It really does suck and now I feel kind of validated since everyone offline has made me feel like a big whiny baby. But dude, yea it feels like someone kicked me in the pelvis and bruised it.

We just moved this weekend, and while most of my participation involved ordering everyone around I am still sore and have been laying around all day long. Ow ow ow.

On the plus... The other half finally got it through his skull that this is A Thing and not me exaggerating, and is spoiling me today.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

I "felt" it was a girl and so did he... But he still insisted it would be a boy.

She is a girl, lol.

Not that we were expecting to be right or anything.

I definitely do NOT hate being pregnant. I am happy as hell and even though it feels "weird" and uncomfortable and painful and I constantly want to stab my coworkers violently, and I can't see myself exactly "missing" all the crappy parts, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I DO hate all of the smart rear end comments either telling me how effing perfect pregnancy was or the "LoL just wait til x thing happens you will wish you never complained about barfing for 9 hours straight cause you were dumb enough to brush your teeth!!"

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

I was told by my midwife in regards to things like sushi and rare meat, was if I was confident in the source and it was something I ate regularly, it was fine - be concerned about food safety practices but that's it. But that If my body wasn't used to processing it not to start now.

I still eat lunch meat and hot dogs but I limit it and try to eat better than I did prepregnancy but I dont limit sushi at my favorite restaurant.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

I have my one hour on Friday and was told not to fast - that I should eat my normal breakfast and then come in at 9am.

My midwife told me not to worry if the one hour comes back high - that if it doesn't cool and if it does, the three hour is what I need to worry about (and that one I'd need to fast for)

This is my first so I have no experience with Gestational Diabetes , however she did tell me that if I "failed" my three hour, we would work on changing up my diet a bit and work with a meter.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

More Vision Q's.

I have been nearsighted pretty much my whole life. I have worn glasses then contacts since I was 8. My vision has not changed since I was 16 (I am 33 now)

Now I do know pregnant women can experience worsening vision that 9 times out of 10 corrects once baby is born, and I have experienced my vision worsening a bit. So of course I am waiting til well after baby comes to worry about that.

However... I am now finding that I am unable to see close up reading paperwork and books. Since I AM 33 and both of my parents have developed farsightedness right around their mid 30's, I am definitely wondering if this is also pregnancy related or if I'm just engaging in that wonderful thing called getting older.

I DO have a visit with my eye doctor next week to repair my glasses and a contact refill so I am definitely asking him but I like stories to hit me with them.

And since I know next to nothing about reading glasses... Should I pick up a cheap drugstore pair to hold me over til the baby is born? If so should I get one based on me wearing my contacts or nothing?? Or stfu and wait til next Monday and my visit with doctor eyeballs?

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Amykinz posted:

If you can find a pair that you're comfortable with, go for it, but they've always been not close enough for me. I have a really mild prescription, and drugstore glasses are never quite right and make me dizzy. Dizzy is the last thing you need right now.

Thanks! They're cheap so I guess I can try them out and no big loss if they stink or make me dizzy.

It was suggested elsewhere that I try the close up stuff without my contacts or glasses, but it didnt help. I had hope for a second!

Fake Edit: while I was typing, my eye doc returned my call (miracle!!!) so I asked him. He told me it could be the pregnancy or just deteriorating vision and then pretty much exactly what you said.. And to worry about a "real" pair or bifocals from him after baby settles into breastfeeding for a few months. He is also going to let me know if the drugstore glasses will work and what strength to try :)

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Ben Davis posted:

Are stinging breasts common in the third trimester? A few times a day I feel like someone just jabbed me with a needle.

I certainly hope so, since I have the same problem. Especially when cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

My midwife asked me to make a birth plan. While she is well aware of our wishes and choices, It will be in my file if someone other than her will need to attend my birth and can answer questions my husband and I may be too distracted to answer.

The birth center I transferred to will go entirely by my birth plan barring any emergencies or complications, and will use any choices I have preselected in the plan if safe and able to do so.