System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

Enjoy Nature While It Lasts

I just wanted to point out - I believe the new mandate that makes it so insurance must offer birth control with no copays also requires insurance companys to provide breast pumps free of charge. Its hidden in the language (I've seen a few breast pump advocates point it out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Here's a subject which may be a little emotionally charged, but one I've been pondering a lot today. What are people's rules regarding smokers holding their newborns? Our midwife told us to make them wear an extra layer when they go out to smoke which they remove when they come in and to then wash their hands.

From some of the reading I've been doing regarding recent studies on third-hand smoke I'm wondering if this is enough. It seems the residue can get in skin and hair, and be sweated out as well as transferred through breath. Furthermore it seems that it can remain in these places a long time. I only have two smoking family members (aunt and brother) and I'm tempted to tell them not to smoke at all that day before holding my daughter, and if they do to shower and change their clothes completely. I know that this may well seem new parent OTT behaviour, though. I've seen arguments that the pollution in the air in cities is probably worse, and it's difficult to determine where a fair line should be drawn between reasonable requests and being a bit of a nazi, though I'm happy to assert any rules if I truly feel they will make an appreciable difference to any health risks to my daughter.

If this has been discussed ad nauseam then apologies.

I don't have any kids myself but I was a kid that was greatly affected by my grandparents smoking. My grandmother smoked in the same room as me when she baby sat, her entire house was covered in a layer scum. It never failed I had an ear infection with in a week of hanging out with her. She died when I was 8 and I never had another ear infection.

Today just the smell of someone who chain smokes makes me extremely sick. (3rd hand smoke) It's not just psychological either, there have been times when i've had a sinus infection and haven't been able to breath through my nose and i've gotten nauseated and headache. (other people on the bus made the choking face while pointing at the smoker)

Oh by the way, thanks to all those ear infections I do have permanently damaged hearing.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all that people would need to have freshly washed, unsmoked in clothing before they get to touch your kid. It is their choice to have the habit and you shouldn't compromise because it would inconvenience them.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 17, 2011

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

Mangue posted:

Mostly it's out of not really having a choice. I just got this job back in November so I'm a brand new employee, don't qualify for FMLA, and even though I'm ridiculously pregnant, I can still perform my job duties. I'm still on orientation/in training and work under the supervision of someone else at all times so they can pick up any slack or step in if I'm screwing something up.

I really do think my job will help get this little one out quicker though. At my 37 week appointment I was 3cm, 70% effaced, and at 0 station. All that walking around every day has jump started my progression I think. I'm hopeful that I'll have this little bugger within the next week. Hopefully. Please?!?!?!

This really bums me out to hear :( We really need mandatory paid maternity leave in the US.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

iwik posted:

So, I managed to burn myself decently at work a week ago and have had to go to the local medical centre every day for dressing changes and monitoring, fun stuff.

During the last week of bandage off/bandage on it has become apparent that I am allergic to every kind of tape they use, even band aids.

Beforehand though, I never had any issue with band aids or other medical sticky things. One nurse has said it's because I'm pretty fair (my burns are on areas which don't see much daylight - stomach & thigh) but I'm not convinced.

Is this just a thing that can happen during pregnancy? Has anyone else suddenly become allergic to various things?

This happened to me and i'm not pregnant. Last year I got a cut on my arm, put a bandage on and it basically caused an allergic reaction that made my whole arm double in size and the swelling ran out almost a foot in every direction from the tape. It was the exact same tape I had used about a year ago with no problems.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

Hdip posted:

Pediatrician sent out a nurse to the house again today. He gained 2 oz so he's back to exactly 10 % of his birth weight. YAY. We are using a bottle to get him the pumped milk after a feed. We were using a medicine dropper and my pinky but it was easier to lose the milk that way.

When you use a little glass or cup do you just tilt it so they can suck on the edge of the cup?

Random question but what country do you live in that a nurse comes to your house? That sounds so cool. Women in the US have such a pita time getting to the doctor, especially after c-sections.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

That is super cool. I've never heard of any services like that here in WA.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

tse1618 posted:

The US has the Nurse Family Partnership, which does weekly visits for income eligible first time mothers from pregnancy through 2 years old. I applied for WIC, and they referred me to the program. If you qualify it's completely free. I'm pretty excited about it, I feel more comfortable asking her silly little pregnancy questions than I do my midwife and I'm nervous about taking care of a baby properly so I'm happy she'll be there to help.

That's really cool. I'll make sure my pregnant SIL and cousin know it exists. Neither of them are low income but i'm sure it would be helpful.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

You know I just realized we must be pretty spoiled compared to most parents. Like my fiancé sometimes gets visits from a county nurse from what we call "hemvården" or "home care" when I am at work that helps out at home, she's done all kinds of things like watch the baby so she could take a shower, she even cleaned up and washed the dishes and fed the baby and just hung out.

David should be in the ambulance right now going all the way down to helsinki, a 400km+ trip.

There's a reason Finland is the best country in the world to be a mom. You've got a lot of services that women in America can't even imagine.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

Rule of thumb is if someone says something about toxins and it involves your body it is probably bs.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

Apparently it's a good thing to get pregnant again right after miscarriage.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/05/miscarriage.try.again.asap/

"Women who conceive within six months of a miscarriage instead of waiting up to a year reduce their risk of another miscarriage by one-third, and they also increase their chances of a healthy and successful pregnancy, according to the study, which appears in the journal BMJ."

Be happy!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

Depends. Some jobs/insurance companies have a 90/60/30day waiting period. Some start immediately. Some have zero benefits and you'll have to find insurance via the exchange websites.

Free market bitches. NO RULES!

(gently caress I hate our 3rd world healthcare system)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

sheri posted:

They could not hold her job for her after she gives birth or fire her for being pregnant once they find out. Yes, technically they aren't supposed to be able to but a lot of states in the USA are at-will employment states which means the company can fire you for any reason (aside from those legally protected) or they don't even need a reason. Yes, pregnancy is supposed to be legally protected but it is easy for a company to say "her working style didn't work with the company culture" and fire her for basically whatever reason they want.

This. So much. I know of so many women who were fired for reasons other than being pregnant but happened to get fired like a week after announcing their pregnancy to their HR/boss.

Literally the USA should be classified as a 3rd world country in terms of healthcare and ESPECIALLY maternity care and parenting support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

The Fool posted:

This home birth discussion reminds me of something else I'd been meaning to ask about. Despite being otherwise nice people my wife's mother and sister are both anti vaccine. Any tips or resources on dealing with this without being confrontational about it? When we met with our pediatrician, she was very helpful, but I'd like to be able to counteract the in laws when they're visiting.

It's been found that with people that have completely illogically held beliefs, they will actually dig in harder when presented with further evidence. The only thing that helps is to literally show them children who've died from vaccinatable diseases. The story of Roald Dahls daughter dying in less than 24hr is a pretty good one. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/7930637/Roald-Dahls-secret-notebook-reveals-heartbreak-over-daughters-death.html At this point in time there is still no medical treatment that will save someone from measles encephilitus.