Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Hi thread!

I just got a positive pregnancy test last week after trying for a year. We've been married for 11 years, I'm 31, he's 35.

Really had no idea it would take this long, and I'm hoping it sticks. I'm just over 4 weeks. Tomorrow I'm going to the doctor to get the next steps in order. Excited, but everything feels pretty surreal right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I had my 7 week dating ultrasound today and saw the little heartbeat. Pretty amazing to see it become a little less abstract.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
So I'm now 8 weeks and can no longer fit into my pants, so I've had to buy maternity jeans. My belly's not huge, but it's definitely too big to zip up my jeans now. I was really surprised by how early this happened. First baby.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Good luck!!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I've been having bleeding this morning, not quite 12 weeks along. Have called in sick and will be going to the doctor.

We have a health hotline you can call to give you advice about whether a doctor or hospital is where you should go, and I was advised to go to the doctor but if the bleeding becomes heavier to go to the hospital.

I feel like it's probably going to be fine but that hasn't stopped me from being teary and shaky all morning.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I've been to the doctor and she's given me a referral for an ultrasound, booked in to see them in about an hour and a half. I'm trying to stay optimistic until I know any different.

The doctor has given me a certificate for today and tomorrow and my husband has a carer's certificate for the same time.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Ultrasound showed baby is active with a strong heartbeat. Measuring 12 weeks 4 days even though according to my cycle I'm 11 weeks 5 days. Big baby!

Going in for a follow up appointment tomorrow morning so I can get the radiographer's report and resting at home another day.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Okay so after the follow up at the doctor, got the radiographer's report. I have a couple of haematoma that were most likely the cause of my bleed.

I've got my nuchal scan ultrasound next week so they'll be able to monitor this further. My doctor said I'll need to take it easy, no strenuous housework or exercise, and limit sex. I'm also probably going to be prone to further bleeds during the pregnancy.

I'm glad I've got a healthy baby but it's been an emotional couple of days. I'm a bit sad too that I'm at a higher risk and will need to be checked on more regularly than the norm.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I'm a high school teacher, so that makes it pretty difficult. I hadn't told my boss yet because I wanted to wait until my NT ultrasound, but I'll be telling them on Monday when I get in.

I'll be keeping an eye on how I'm feeling and trying to stay off my feet as much as I can, and if I need more time off or to reduce my workload, I'll do that.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I'm in Australia, so our summer break is in December. However, we've got a two week break in September, which will be very welcome.

My due date is somewhere between 18-24 February, so I may or may not come back after the summer break.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I've had another bleed, but not as horror-movie esque this time. I was feeling pretty optimistic because my spotting had been decreasing steadily every day, and then I get this. 14 weeks tomorrow.

I'd say this is something I'm going to have to prepare for with the haematomas. It sucks. The bleeding isn't so heavy that it indicates anything more sinister. Going to go to the doctor after work to see if she can put the Doppler on me just to be sure all is well.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Leng posted:

:( Hope things did go well for you...

Yep, all good. Ended up getting an ultrasound and bub was fine. Will get the radiographer's report at the dr's next week to see what's happening with the haematomas.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I think I ate something a couple of days ago that has not sat right with me. I'm not talking out of control diarrhea, but definitely an upset stomach.

Worth seeing a doctor about?

Edit: turned out okay, but will be watching what I eat more carefully. Had a listeriosis worry but I think it's all good.

femcastra fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 1, 2017

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
A bit of a dilemma in our house. We’re renovating. When I say that though, I mean we’re getting professionals in to renovate.

Kitchen is done, bathroom still to do. I’m due Feb 23ish, they can only start Jan 23, and said that it’ll take a maximum of 6 weeks.

We plan on getting a portaloo and camping shower for the time things are unusable, and my bedroom can be closed off from the noise and dust.

Is this a terrible idea or something we can probably manage? This is my first bub so I’m completely out of my depth.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Thanks all for the input on the renovations. Not what I wanted to hear, but definitely what I needed to hear.

I have a bad habit of piling too many things on and then struggling, and definitely don’t want to do this with a newborn when I’ll already be wiped out.

No matter what we do, it won’t be ideal, but I think a renovation with a slightly older baby and a mum not raw from childbirth is a better bet.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Cheers for the advice, I really appreciate it.

While the bathroom is unusable, we’re considering short-term accommodation in an Airbnb. Unfortunately we’ve got no relatives in easy driving distance we can stay with, closest is 3 and a half hours away.

Partner will be back at work not long after baby is born, but I’ll have close to a year off work, so things will be a bit easier hopefully.

Feeling a bit more clear-headed about it all. Seeing the midwife on Friday too so will see what she has to say about it.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I’m now 29 weeks pregnant and am on school holidays (paid) for 6 weeks. We are getting furniture sorted out and it is really nice to have some time to put my feet up. I had a nap for a whole hour, it was incredible.

My in-laws stayed on the weekend and before they left, did furniture dismantling, vacuuming and shifting so now we can really get the nursery organised. Not too much longer now!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
All the best to everyone on the various stages of their journeys. It’s a highly emotional and difficult time.

I was in hospital for two hours yesterday strapped to a monitor to make sure bub was ok because her movements had slowed down a lot over the last two days. All seems well, she perked up when confronted by her own heartbeat and kicked up a storm. Having an ultrasound in a couple of days just to confirm all is ok.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Congratulations!!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I’m on the home stretch now, will be 38 weeks on Friday. Today I feel really flat but I have been doing well up until this point.

Happy for bub to stay put for a while, haven’t come to terms with the impending birth yet despite all the books, classes and meditation.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

I will also be 38 weeks on Friday! Good luck, due date buddy! :hfive:

I'm also completely happy to let the kiddo stay in as long as they need. We had an IUGR scare earlier in this pregnancy, so I'd rather they be late if it means they cultivate more mass.

All the best in the next couple of weeks! It’s exciting.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Public Serpent posted:

Had an ultrasound today, the babies are definitely dichorionic and she was pretty sure it's a boy and a girl. We didn't find out the sex last pregnancy but after the twins thing we felt we'd had enough surprises this time around.

It was pretty cool seeing them wiggle around in there :3: they looked like good kids.

Congratulations on the bubs, all the best with this journey.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I know this doesn’t apply as I’m a first timer, but I started feeling movements at 14-15 weeks, just little flutters.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
In Australia here, being managed through a hospital birth centre. Saw midwives around 15 weeks, then 24, 28, 30, 34, 36. Next appointment is next week, I’m 38 weeks today.

Once a month sounds pretty reasonable.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Sorry to hear that, sounds intense. Hope that the follow up goes more smoothly.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Had my first bout of pre-labor last night!

My husband was all gung ho, ready to go to the hospital, but I just had an inkling it wasn’t go time yet. Had a hot shower, took some paracetamol and went to bed. By about 2 am the contractions had fizzled out.

Doing some exercise this morning, getting a bit of cleaning done, and will rest up. I have a feeling it’s going to be the next day or two.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I’ve half-written a post here about four times now, detailing ins and outs of my labour, but nah.

In a nutshell, our baby girl is here and it is wonderful. The process was really hard and quite traumatic. I was all set up for low intervention, no drugs at the hospital birthing centre. I came in fully dilated and ready to go, but bub’s head just wouldn’t progress down far enough, no matter what position or how well I pushed.

In the end I pushed for 3 hours, and they had tried a number of interventions to reduce pressure on bub’s head. Ended in stirrups, episiotomy, vacuum popped off, so forceps. Came out like a rocket as soon as I pushed with the forceps.

I could never judge anyone who wants pain relief or surgical intervention or whatever, it was intense.

Our baby is beautiful and now we’re home from the hospital, I’m getting sleep, so everything is more confrontable.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

BlueCat posted:

After two amnios and a hospital visit, we have results!

and she's ok!

Hoping for a smooth run for the second half of this now. We haven't told anyone other that we haven't either had to for practical reasons and immediate family, so at 19 weeks I probably have workmates thinking I've been over-doing the pies and ice cream. It seems weird thinking we have a green light to tell people.

Now to figure out how.

Congratulations! It’s so exciting that the tests have come back positive for you. Best of luck with the next half!

WarpDogs posted:

Sorry to hear your labor was so tough, but your final perspective is one I hope to adopt myself. The ends justify the means!

Our due date is at the end of the month and I'm starting to get real impatient. I don't know if this is a form of nesting or what, but I've developed a voracious appetite for baby knowledge. I'm reading books, websites, baby forums, anything I can get my hands on.

Excited to be the kind of dad with tomes of worthless knowledge that will never apply to our situation

Nice, yeah I think it’s normal particularly towards the end to know exactly what awaits. Nothing prepares you completely, but reading helps.

Enjoy the time chatting to your bub before they arrive. I loved it when my girl would respond to my voice or my husband’s.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I had some assistance standing up straight after birth, but I had been in stirrups for over an hour by that point and was exhausted. In the shower I stood unassisted without issue.

Three days after, standing was no biggie at all. I had to watch how I sat and changed position because of my episiotomy stitches, and couldn’t stand for extended periods because of pressure on them, but walking to/from bathroom and kitchen was fine.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I was in hospital overnight with my baby, which was then extended to three days because bub developed jaundice in the first 24 hours.

My experience was very stressful and I got no rest BUT I got a lot of support and help from midwives, and I learned how to express and got good points on breastfeeding while I was there.

It also really made me appreciate being home.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I used the fertility friend app and found it great. Eventually I paid for the full version and that made a big difference to the functionality. They often have coupon codes on their Twitter too.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

peanut posted:

I did fertility consultations and tests and pills and procedures for a year and it was getting very stressful and making me cry so I said gently caress it My Life Is Already P Good and cancelled my next appointment and booked a flight for Spring Break and babby was formed immediately.

Same except I did the hsg test and then got a big period and fell pregnant the next cycle. I resolved to stop tracking and then it all happened.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Good luck with everything. It’s nerve wracking and you do look at everything as a potential sign of labour, which can be exhausting mentally.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

WarpDogs posted:

Well, 3rd time's the charm. But nothing went as planned

She woke up Friday to the same kind of minor pains she had experienced all week. At this point we felt confident it was either nothing or just very early labor so she went to work as it was her last day anyway.

3 hours later I'm leaving to pick her up as the pain never stopped. They still weren't that bad and they weren't lasting all that long, but they were close together so we decided to just go to the doc's again.

There we find she's 5cm dilated and 90% effaced, shocking everyone in the room. The curve balls just kept on coming after that

First she almost passed out during the IV, and baby's heart rate plummeted. Doctors rushed into the room and gave her meds to slow down labor. They also broke her water so they could use better monitors, and in doing so found the baby had pooped in sac

3 hours later they check her again and it's literally the exact same measurements. Doc orders an ultrasound, and oh whoops, our perfect baby boy who had been head down literally every pre-natal appointment - including the one 2 days ago - is breached

Between that and everything else doc ordered an emergency c-section. Despite being terrifying for both of us (and really devastating for her), it ended up being the easiest part of the whole thing. Baby and mom came out healthy and dodged every complication that could have come his way. All told the entire thing from check in to baby was 5 hours.

The last twist is that I was expecting a small newborn, because my wife's belly always measured lower than average. We did not get that. Our baby boy clocks in at 9 pounds, has a full (and deformed) head of long hair, and honestly looks like he could beat me up if he wanted to. Everyone commented that he was very overdue, which is interesting as he was technically born a day early. I know due dates are just estimates, but it was pretty off, especially for our first

Anyway, in terms of advice for other soon-to-be fathers itt, I would definitely recommend the "flight attendant effect". I don't think that's the actual name for it, but it's the phenomenon in which you feel safe in even the roughest of flights so long as the flight attendants are smiling and acting normal

Everyone is different, but I went into this thing not knowing what my role should be in labor, and I left feeling very strongly that it's all about constant validation, support, and reassuring her

I watched Peep Show a lot in the lead up to my due date, finishing on the episode where one of the characters goes into labour.

A couple of weeks ago (2 weeks after the birth) we watched the next episode, where the baby is born. It was the funniest reflection of how both of us felt during the labour and I highly recommend it once you’ve had time to find a vague routine. Black comedy but very good.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

teacup posted:

Yeah she’s going to the doctor today to get one and then the hospital has told us to come in a few days later and they get a rushed one in - then compare the two. They also are worried about ectopic since it’s happened before it’s apparently a higher risk of happening again. Just hope it’s a decent rise on the levels. She really gets stressed out at it and there is nothing I can do to help stop the worrying :(

Just be there for her, that’s all you can do. All the best with the testing.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

FoxTerrier posted:

Yeah I seem to be getting them like...all the time. Actually it often feels a lot like when I've had mild cyst pain in the past. Probably nothing but I'm going to re-double my efforts to nail down a doctor in the next few days just to get some reassurance.

And thanks 2DEG and kbdragon for the book recommendations, I'll definitely look at both!

I had these pains from the beginning of the second trimester right til the end. They suck and take your breath away with the pain. All normal but that doesn’t make them hurt less.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I was chatting to my 12 week old in the kitchen this week about something I had figured out and how I was pretty clever.

‘Of course I don’t often say that I’m clever because women aren’t supposed to big note themselves, they’re supposed to be meek and men are the ones who assert how great they are, this is all part of the patriarchal society we live in. Women are conditioned to think that we shouldn’t be seen as smarter than men.’

Recounted this to my husband who asked me if maybe it wasn’t a bit soon for these chats, but nope, I think the sooner she can navigate the land mines laid out for her the better.

‘Okay, as long as she doesn’t start hating men, or me.’

‘No, you’re an ally. You’re not THE man, you’re just A man.’

Seriously, the gendered language and bullshit surrounding her already is out of control. I know that it’s not possible to counter it completely, but if I can affirm her as an individual with great traits that deserve recognition, I’m happy.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Koivunen posted:

Fwiw my friend had heavy bleeding at ten weeks due to a subchorionic hemorrhage. She’s now got a healthy six month old.

Light bleeding is super common, 1/4 of women experience it during the first trimester. If that’s your only new symptom and it’s not getting worse, things are likely fine. If it would help you to call your OB office, do it, that’s what they’re there for.

Yeah I had a subchorionic haematoma as well that gave me a heavy bleed at 11 and a half weeks and another medium bleed at 14 weeks. I’ve now got my baby strapped to me as she’s going through the 4 month sleep regression and doesn’t want to be put down.

Call your gp or midwife if it gets worse, but light spotting is normal.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
All the best with everything, no matter the outcome the waiting is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Congratulations! All the best with all the quirks of pregnancy and getting to know your little bump.