Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Have you tried lactose free milk? When I was drinking regular milk it would make my intestines rumple all night, but when I switched to lactose free I never had any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
This is a weird insurance question but I'm not sure where to get advice on it. I've been on Medicaid since the beginning of my pregnancy. My husband's new job just had the insurance kick in and I'm apparently on it now.

We can't really afford all the co-pays and it would be great if I could use Medicaid for the entire pregnancy/delivery but I'm worried there might be some kind of repercussions for having two insurances.

Do I just need to call and cancel my Medicaid or something? I don't really know my options at this point.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
You could try sleeping with different blankets. That might deter him from cuddling in his sleep.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Oh no! I just got a call from the nurse. Not only am I anemic, I failed the 1 hour glucose test. I didn't get close to the threshold so I'm not sure I'll pass the 3 hour one either. I don't like changing my diet so I'm not looking forward to picking up the guidelines tomorrow. I hope it's not too different from what I eat now.

I honestly felt bad for the nurse though. She sounded so sad to be giving me a double dose of bad news. I could just feel her sympathy through the phone.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Mnemosyne posted:

You mentioned picking up guidelines...aren't they going to do the 3-hour test before having you change your diet?

She didn't say anything other than she has a paper with some kind of guidelines for my diet before I take the test. Maybe it's about fasting right before or something. I'm getting it in the morning.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Thanks for all the info, Mnemosyne. Now I'm afraid of the drink.

We called our fetus Blobby.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I picked up the paperwork for my 3 hour glucose test. I have to go on a high carb (300g a day) diet for 3 days prior to the test, then a 12 hour fast immediately before the appointment. My husband is so sweet, we're doing it on his day off so he can stay with me.

I'm such a wuss when it comes to my blood being taken. It's not the blood part that bothers me, it's the pain and discomfort from the needle. When he holds my hand it helps a lot.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Ceridwen posted:

We found out yesterday (8 1/2 weeks) that there is no longer a heartbeat. I'll have to have a D&C next week if I don't miscarry naturally in the next few days. I've been bleeding lightly for the last couple of days but it doesn't really seem to be progressing and the OB doesn't want to let it go too long.

Hope I'll be back in this thread soon.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had the same thing happen at about 10 weeks and it was tough. It only took a couple months to conceive again and now I'm at 30 weeks.

Good luck. It will be over before you know it.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Wintergreen Lifesavers worked amazingly for my nausea. Plus they're addictive as hell.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I tried using one for the pants I couldn't button any more and just didn't feel like it was secure enough. It works great for giving the illusion of a long white shirt underneath my pre-maternity shirts that are too short for my belly though! Also sometimes it makes me feel like it's rounding out my belly visually.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Last week was my first time seeing the OB instead of just a nurse practitioner. I let him know that I have been suffering from pelvic pain since 20 weeks, and it even caused me to leave my job. All the nurse ever did was ask if I tried a support belt. (I have and it does nothing)

I've seen posts about it from women who have gone through severe SPD like mine, and they cautioned that you need to adjust how you deliver the baby, otherwise you could suffer from permanent damage.

I brought this up to the doctor, and asked if there were ways we could avoid that risk. He basically said that chances are nothing will happen, and if I have to deliver on my back with my knees pulled all the way up, then that's what we'll do.

I'm terrified. I'm worried that they are not taking me seriously, but I don't know what to say to figure out a solution. I feel stupid going on saying I got all my information from the internet. He is the one that has been doing this forever and went to school. I just feel like either he doesn't know much about the risks I'm facing, or maybe I'm getting the wrong information and the Dr is totally right.

The SPD has been so bad that I can't even go on a walk in the park, and I can barely even go shopping some days. It almost makes me cry to bring the dog out to pee when my husband isn't home to do it. I can barely even lift my legs up to get into the car or go up stairs.

So what do I do? Is it really true that if you have severe SPD you need to alter the way you deliver? Am I really at risk for sever permanent damage to my pelvis? Or do I just trust the Dr. and go with the flow when the time comes?

Also will this make a vaginal delivery more painful or harder? I just want to know that everything will be ok. I don't want to go through with it like normal, and after the baby is born end up going back to the OB saying "I told you so, now I'm srewed up forever. Thanks for nothing."

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Last week I was at 34 weeks. There was some kind of mixup and the Dr wasn't there like 4 weeks ago when I SHOULD have seem him, then they never rescheduled that appointment, they just kept me seeing the nurse practitioner in the office.

Now that I think about it the OB did less than the nurse does. He listened to the heartbeat but didn't measure my belly. I used the time seeing him to voice all my concerns and ask any questions about delivery. He didn't really do anything else physical though. All I got out of the appointment is that I shouldn't worry about complications and that my GBS test is coming up next appointment.

There is another Dr in the same office I could request to see, but these guys are constantly booked and it's hard to get appointments with them without notice. I'm on Medicaid and this Thursday I will be 35 weeks pregnant.

Oh something else I remembered. I had a miscarriage last year and experienced a mini labor with that. I had contractions and everything. I asked the Dr. if that would make this labor move any more quickly than a normal first time delivery and he said it wouldn't change anything. That was something else I had heard that he dismissed.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Thank you for the information. Fortunately I don't have any stairs at home, it's just frustrating when I do run across any. I haven't had any appointments aside from my regular OB/nurse visits. We can't really afford anything out of the ordinary and I can't imagine the nurse would refer me, and it takes weeks to get an appointment with the OB who didn't think I was going through anything abnormal anyways.

When I go to the hospital I'm going to stress that I'd like to try alternative positions. I'd prefer to use a tub, but I don't know if my OB does that and I forgot to ask. If I do have to labor on my back I'm going to insist my legs don't get pulled all the way apart. Unfortunately I have some big thighs so I don't even know about that working. I guess we'll see.

Aside from that I don't even really have a major birth plan or anything, but I have been worrying about nurses here not knowing how to care for an uncircumcised baby. I'm considering bringing a marker to write on all his diapers not to pull back the foreskin, but that sounds kind of obnoxious on my part. I have read a lot of stories about it getting pulled back because the nurses thought that's how you clean it though so I'm freaked out!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Bad Munki posted:

No kidding, ours was positioned ready to come out for weeks prior to the due date, and within the last few days she decided to flip back over and cause trouble.

People keep telling me this, and it scares me. I'm at 35 weeks and my baby has been head down for months.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Don't let her forget that for every appoint with the Nurse Practitioner or OB she will need to pee either before or after the appointment. At first I kept forgetting and had emptied my bladder before some of my appointments.

By the way, the beginning few months are basically ALL about waiting it out. There are few appointments, and the growth of the baby is super slow. It really picks up at around 25+ weeks though!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
My feet are killing me. I keep them propped up most of the day and they remain swollen and tender. They also won't shrink overnight when I'm sleeping like they used to. They're even looking all weird and pinkish purple now.

I seriously looks like I have feet like those fat people from Wall-e! I have no idea what to do about it.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Well, at almost 38 weeks I'd consider myself really pregnant. So when I am flat on my back instead of half sitting up my head starts to pound like crazy. Unfortunately I can't separate my legs far enough to do the couch thing (pelvic problems I've mentioned earlier).

I guess I'll try my best to elevate my feet more than I have been while I'm laying in bed. I feel like if I bring up my problem to the nurse she will just tell me to deal with it until the baby pops out.

Also I will need to see how much those socks are. Wouldn't they only work if my feet are unswollen to begin with? The idea of compressing my feet at this point sounds extremely painful.

Thank you for the suggestions! I don't want you to think I'm being ungrateful.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Sure, I'll give them a call. I also have my 38 week appointment on Thursday.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Wow, congratulations on all the babies lately! I hope I'm next.

I'm at 38 weeks now and apparently I'm good to go, all that needs to happen is the baby needs to drop more. What sucks about this last week though is that I've been doing the opposite of nesting. I have no energy, I've started taking middle of the day naps again, and I have no motivation to do anything around the house. It's making me feel super guilty when my husband comes home and I've done maybe one thing.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Oh god. I tried doing squats to encourage the baby to drop. Now a couple days later my legs and butt are killing me. What the hell did I think would happen? I haven't worked out in 9 months, of course I'd be sore when using those muscles. It's just like the first day at the gym, where you can't move your whole body the next morning.

I am such an idiot. Oh and I don't even think the baby dropped! Learn from my mistake, people.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

bamzilla posted:

:gonk: don't you have SPD, too?

Yeaaaah. Somehow my hips didn't pop. I'm desperate. Anyway I had my husband get me a yoga ball so I won't be squatting any more.

edit: They weren't legit squats. I did it in the kitchen holding onto the sink so I could pull myself back up.

Awesome Kristin fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 15, 2012

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I had my baby over the weekend. Thursday was my Dr appointment and he was head down ready to go. Saturday morning we head to the hospital when I was getting contractions. We get there at 11:30. By 11:45 we find out I am in labor, and he is breach. They told me I was getting a c-section at 1pm. I didn't really have any time to process what was happening. I was totally freaked out and cried a ton.

Anyway, details:

Born at 39 weeks 1 day. 08-18-12 / 8 lbs 4 oz / 19.5 in

Here's Benjamin:

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
So my son is 1 week old now. He's pretty much the perfect newborn and I have nothing to complain about as far as his behavior. It's mine that I am concerned about. I can not stop checking on him while he's sleeping. I keep thinking I need to make sure he's breathing, or not choking. It's silly, and I'd love to be able to use this time to do chores instead of worrying like crazy. Will I get over this?

I love him so much.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Fixit posted:

I have been lurking on here for a few months while my wife has been pregnant with our first baby. It was smooth sailing till 2 weeks ago. She was just shy of 30 weeks and felt the baby drop and having menstrual cramps. She went to the hospital for fear of having the baby right then. She had some test and was told she was very near having a premature birth (can't recall the test name because all medical talk sounds like gibberish to me). Now she is on bed rest and very unhappy about it.

We got our third and final ultra sound a few days ago and the baby's head is right on her cervix. She says when she stands up she can feel the baby drop a bit. The doctor is monitoring her weekly. Is there anything I should be doing other than making sure she stays in bed and comfortable? Is this fairly normal? I am a little nervous/scared that our kid will be born premature.

From reading the thread I have an idea of what the birthing experience should be like. Any tips on stuff to put in our day packs for the hospital? Right now I just have shampoo, soap, deodorant and a change of clothes for the both of us.

Side note: We do not know the gender because the kid is stubborn and would not open their legs. Wife is already making jokes the kid will be like me. Victory!

Bring quarters for the snack/soda machine. If she's picky about pillows, I'd recommend bringing your own just in case you're in there for a few nights. (you can always leave it in the car and go back for it later). If you have a Boppy pillow, bring that too.

I have a quick question. Is there a way to change a newborn's schedule? Ben seems to have his longest stretch of sleep right after my husband and would normally wake up for the day. Because of this, I don't get any sleep at a normal hour, and end up sleeping the day away during his long naps.

Can I do something to make his longer naps and shorter feedings be at night?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

ChloroformSeduction posted:

This was a problem for us.

Thank you for this. I hope it helps us.

Here's my new favorite picture of him.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

ChloroformSeduction posted:

You're welcome. I thought I was losing my mind until someone recommended that book, actually. I wish I had read up on infant sleep while I was still pregnant. Trying to research it while you're dealing with it is awful, and everyone has recommendations that contradict each other (or you get the "My friend's wife sent this book to loan you, she says it works great and their kids were sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old!" and the book consists of locking the kid in a room for 12 hours and ignoring them.) Having a routine that was fairly flexible was good. The only real "rule" during the day was not letting him sleep longer than 2 hours, sometimes he woke up earlier if he was hungry.

Oh, and we didn't change his diapers at night unless he had a bowel movement, because it kind of woke him up more. Not sure how this would work if you use cloth, but the sposies would wick any wetness away.

Well I've been trying this for a couple days now. There's one evening nap where I just can not wake him up for anything. If you name it, I've tried it. So he ends up sleeping for 3 or more hours at around 5pm. At night he doesn't sleep AT ALL. He's up the whole time either hungry, burping, or dealing with intestinal gas/pooping. He does not have these problems in the day. He goes down to nap totally fine and sleeps solid. We try to keep him stimulated at night for a few hours before bed. His bath is at night and we use the night time lavender stuff. I'm going crazy.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

bamzilla posted:

He probably has his days/nights mixed up and it's completely normal. During the day keep lights on. Keep him stimulated. At night lights off and when you feed him, calm him, etc use low soothing voices and don't do too much to stimulate him if you don't have to (ie don't "play" or use baby talk since we tend to speak in higher pitches with baby talk).

It'll take time and patience to get him on a proper day/night schedule. My son's just now getting his poo poo sorted out and he's almost 6 weeks. Also keep in mind newborns sleep something like 16 of 24 hours in a day. What do you mean by a nap? Do you mean he's out solid for hours at a time and then up for hours at a time?

I do everything I can to separate day and night hours. Lights are on, there's tons of talking, music or tv is on and I sing to him. We dance around and do tummy time. At night the lights are off or low, I play soft music, we do bath time and I try to get him to eat and fall asleep.

By "naps" I mean the times he should be sleeping less and being more awake between them, which should be during the day. Instead he has a block of time in the afternoon where he sleeps for 5ish hours with a sleepy feeding in between. That should ideally be at night when I'd like to get my sleep. I'm up the whole night feeding, burping, rocking to sleep, listening to him struggle with his intestines, changing him when he finally poops, then starting the cycle over again.

I think the problem might be the pooping thing. He doesn't struggle for as long, or as much during the day, and his sleeping is super solid as well. Maybe the struggling every 2 minutes for half an hour is keeping him up. Also he always has trouble getting one last burp out at night, and I never know until he's wiggling around grunting in bed.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Colton posted:

Breastfeeding isn't supposed to take 2+ hours, dude

Sometimes it does. You've just got to roll with it, or bottle feed. Last night my son was on my boob from 5am-11am, with breaks to burp, poop, and trying to put him to bed. He emptied 3.5 boobs.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
When is it necessary to schedule an appointment for my son about spitting up? I feel like he can't keep down the milk half the time. I've tried burping him for half an hour or more during and after feeding him. There always seems to be something bothering him, and sometimes when a huge burp comes out, the milk follows it. He's constantly hungry as a result of this.

I've tried everything I can think of. He even spits up when I keep him upright and don't move him around much. (breastfeeding, by the way)

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Ok! I have an appointment scheduled. My husband thinks I'm overreacting though.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
The pediatrician said it was totally fine. The frequency and consistency are normal. He just needs to "learn" it or something.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Well we sort of figured out the spitting up problem. If he gets burped 3 or 4 times through his meal, he'll usually keep it down. There are still times when he spits up, though.

We just have one problem with this. Sometimes he gas just will not leave his stomach. I've tried all kinds of positions and movements. When I think I got it all out, or maybe there wasn't anything in the first place, I put him to bed since he's usually passed out on me at that point. Well, right away he will be wiggling and whining needing to burp. I try some more and can't get it out.

What can I do? This keeps both of us up for long periods of time, and it shortens the amount of time he will stay asleep.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

CravingSolace posted:

I also haven't lost my mucus plug yet (I believe), and I read that you lose that before you go into labor.

It's not always the case.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

CravingSolace posted:

I'm going to try my best to make it through today, but I pretty much have labor and delivery on speed-dial, so if I start cramping again, I'll give them a ring. My husband and MIL keep telling me that I'll instinctually know when I'm in labor, but I'm not so sure. It's very frustrating.

When I went into labor it was barely more painful than BH contractions. I felt them more while laying down, and they weren't even noticeable at first while I was up getting ready to go to the hospital. I had timed them while laying down and was starting to moan a little when they came, so I sort of knew it was time. I still was a bit unsure though.

I went in when they were 3-4 mins apart and had to have a c-section because my bag was bulging and he was breach.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Fixit posted:

Is it normal to be really scared of holding the baby-to-be? I am growing more and more excited as it gets closer to birth. However, I am becoming terrified at the thought of dropping my kid. I've held babies before, but not new borns.

My husband and I really didn't have experience with babies, especially newborns. We were pretty awkward at first with Ben. All it took was a week of handling him all day every day to pretty much feel completely comfortable. Ben is one month today and last week the pediatrician told us she noticed a difference in our confidence levels with him.

It's pretty much only weird the first few minutes of holding your baby, then you just do what you have to do and don't even notice that you're learning.

Awesome Kristin fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 19, 2012

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Ben just started having trouble sleeping in the bassinet. I feel like it might be due to his body being flat. He will sleep for brief periods in it, but is almost always fussing the whole time in his sleep, and it inevitably ends with him waking up, after I've been awake for 20 minutes already just listening to him.

He'll sleep forever on my chest, and he also enjoys the swing and will stay asleep in that. The bouncer and car seat also work to keep him sleeping for hours at a time.

So I'm wondering about this Rock and Play sleeper everyone keeps raving about on the Baby Center forum. I know it is not recommended for babies to sleep in any of the things I mentioned because it bends their bodies in a weird position and can push the chin to their necks.

There are a ton of good reviews of the Rock and Play on Amazon. I was thinking about calling my pediatrician about it, but I feel like she'd probably want us to keep trying with the bassinet.

Have any of you been told whether this is a recommended bed for newborns or if it's frowned upon by doctors? We're going crazy here. He just will not sleep more than 8 hours a day. Sometimes it's less than that by a lot.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I guess I could try putting something under the mattress before replacing the whole bassinet. If that doesn't work, would I be doing anything wrong by exclusively using the Rock and Play? I just don't want to ruin my baby.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Ok, thanks! It seems you're always able to answer my questions super quick. I appreciate it.

Oh and here he is at one month last week!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I spoke to the pediatrician about his spitting up problem and she just said he's gaining weight fine and he'll grow out of it. She didn't mention any possibility of reflux at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Hmm. Well it really is a challenge to put him to bed because as soon as he's down he tenses up into a ball and is almost impossible to swaddle. Then he keeps alternating drifting to sleep, then tensing up and squeaking/grunting every minute. His next appointment is the 18th next month. I'll put something under the mattress for now and see if that helps him until then.