Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
To go along with all this diaper chat, would you guys still recommend cloth diapers for someone who rents an apartment with no washer and dryer in the unit? There is a dedicated laundry room for the complex, but I'm concerned about all the quarters I'll have to stock up on in order to wash the diapers so frequently. I've read that it's still doable but we'll need to buy a *lot* of diapers so we aren't washing as often. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
I second taking the prenatal vitamin at night.

Constantly sucking on Jolly Ranchers helped me, as did inhaling the scent from ginger candies (trying to eat them made me want to horf, however). My doctor also recommended Diclegis, which is an anti-nausea med specifically for pregnant women, but my insurance unfortunately would not cover it and it's super expensive. Luckily, Diclegis is basically Unisom + B6, so my doc was able to tell me what combination of those things to take. Obviously, talk to your doctor first before going that route if that's something you're interested in.

Eat whatever sounds good, even if it's terrible fast food or nothing but bread. Those first several weeks are all about surviving, and it's better that you eat something, even if it's garbage.

Good luck! Things will probably ease up for you within a few weeks.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008

jemsy posted:

I'm 8wks pregnant and I feel like a bag of butts. Constantly snacking/nibbling isn't staving off the nausea anymore.

Any tips for other coping methods? I've never liked the taste of ginger, but hell, the sight/smell of a freshly grilled steak had me booking it out of the kitchen the other night, so who knows anymore? I just need to get through the work days.

I second the Unisom + B6 combo. There's actually a prescription medication that you can get (Diclegis), but my insurance wouldn't cover it. The OTC combo works just as well though.

I hate the taste of ginger, but I found that sniffing it helped me.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
I think the pros and cons depend entirely on what you want during labor. If you want to be able to walk around or change positions, that's likely not going to happen. Some people also have a harder recovery from having an epidural. But if you're exhausted or were in labor for two days before going to the hospital (like I was), the epidural is a godsend. There is something bizarre about being able to doze through active labor. I had previously planned to labor for as long as I could without drugs because I was afraid of stalling, then needing Pitocin to get back on track, and then potentially needing a c-section if the baby went into distress or if I didn't progress. I work for a med mal law firm that deals with a lot of pregnancy cases and I have heard all the horror stories, as you might imagine -- a real treat while I myself was pregnant.

My anesthetist was great and was able to give me just enough of the drug to take away all the pain, but I could still feel pressure during contractions so that I knew when to push. I also had no problems with recovery, and in fact I felt amazing. My friend, on the other hand, had an epidural with her first delivery and she felt like she'd been hit by a bus afterward.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
I second the leggings option. I practically lived in mine when I was pregnant.

Old Navy may have some pants options for shorter people, but probably only online. What I would do is go to the store and find some styles you like, and then go home and order them in the length you need.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
I have a Hygeia pump that I used very heavily for the first 10 months or so of my daughter's life (I exclusively pumped for the first nine weeks and then pumped 3x a day at work) and I never had any issues with it. Still, I was very glad to be done with it! The "wee-wah, wee-wah" sound it makes will be forever burned in my brain.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
I had to go back to work after five weeks :( I was oddly ready for it (I was losing my mind staying at home), but I think it helped that my husband was able to switch his work schedule around to stay home for several more weeks. If I'd been forced to put my five week old daughter in daycare to go back to work I may have felt a little differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Thanks everyone. Quite the learning curve ahead of me and husband.

I seriously wish telling women who have had a c-section about this hold was all part of the care package. Plus I got big boobs as it is and I was all worried about suffocating my guy with their mightiness.

He keeps getting out of his swaddle, his one hand always finds a way to sneak out so for tonight my plan is getting better with the football hold, tighter swaddle. I heard rave review about both the baby Merlin sleepsuit and halo sleepsack...has anyone had experiences with either? All I hope now is that he catches up on the sleep he missed last night during the day. Luckily my support system is great so I'll be able to shower and rest when I need. It's so difficult not being able to get up and be mobile as easy as I'd like to!

He didn't sleep much last night, neither did I. We will get the hang of it :shobon:

Those first few weeks are so tough. You've got this!

We had to switch over to a Halo sleepsack pretty quickly with our daughter, since she was great at busting out of a regular swaddle. I can't recommend the sleepsack enough. They're kinda expensive, but they're super easy to use and if your babe likes them then they're worth every penny.