Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hi everyone. I'm currently at the 5 week mark and I already feel like my hormones are going absolutely berserk. I seem to be rapidly switching between fits of rage and feeling teary, and I get frustrated ridiculously easy at the moment. Is this something that may stabilise or get worse as things progress?

I am feeling sorry for my partner, despite him telling me that he thinks it's amusing and that he isn't offended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Dandy Shrew posted:

Tomorrow is the day, assuming nothing happens today. Scheduled to go in for induction at 9:30, and I am super, super scared :( I don't even know what of.. I guess just things going pear shaped. I am both excited and terrified to meet this boy, and I really hope I don't gently caress him up.

Pregnancy is surreal.

Good luck Dandy Shrew, I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your baby.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance, I think having some previous brain problems has probably made me feel a bit hypersensitive to any perceived behaviour or emotional changes. It's calming to know that it's probably just my body trying to adjust to some big changes.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for things I can try to relieve morning sickness? I am feeling ill 24/7 and I feel like it's getting slowly more intense with time. I'm only at 6 weeks at the moment and I've been told it might settle after 12 weeks, but that's still six more weeks of me having a lot of trouble functioning.

So far I've tried peppermint tea which did work for a little while but then caused my heartburn to get ridiculously bad so I'm not keen to try that again, and chamomile tea which didn't seem to help very much. I am not a fan of ginger, but I suppose I'd be willing to try it if someone told me that it really made a difference for them, I am wary of it making my heartburn worse though :(

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone. I've been nibbling crackers and that is definitely making a bit of a difference. :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

One of my biggest concerns about getting pregnant was how I was going to deal with not being able to take my pain medication. I've got a slipped disc in my neck that causes me chronic migraines and neck pain. Before becoming pregnant I would treat the migraines with monthly visits to a chiropractor, strength training exercises, valium and mercyndol forte.

I have spoken to my doctor, and Mothersafe about the medications I usually take and they've both told me that the mercyndol forte is safe to take, but not to take the valium. I'm currently 8 weeks along.

That being said, since conceiving I've only had one migraine so far. Which is unusual, because usually I get one or two a month.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Dandy Shrew, please hang in there. You obviously are very concerned for your baby's wellbeing and your care means that despite the difficulty you've experienced, Rory is growing stronger and gaining weight. Which is so far removed from giving up or failing! You're doing a great job.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Congrats Ceridwen :) She's lovely!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

jbombe posted:

I'm prego with my first bebe and I'm in my 10th week. I've been sick 24/7 since week 6 and it's been brutal. It started as just nausea and then the vomiting started. I've spent so much time online researching tips and tricks to feel better but the only things that have seemed to work for me are:

Hey prego nausea buddy :) I'm also in my 10th week and have been getting my butt kicked by all day morning sickness. The following things seem to be helping:

- Plain crackers with a little bit of hummus
- Bananas
- Museli bars
- Crumpets, crumpets crumpets. I'm not sure why these work so well, perhaps it's because they're soft and warm and starchy and feel comforting to eat? At any rate if I could eat these all day long I'd be pretty happy.

Also I've worked out that if I eat a meal that is too big, or let my stomach get too empty I'll get worse nausea, and eating anything with spice is a recipe for bloating, heartburn and me generally not feeling really well at all. My fingers are crossed for you that around weeks 12-14 you start feeling better as I'm hoping for the same, and keep reading that for a lot of ladies the nausea drops off around this time.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

jbombe posted:

Prego nausea buddy in week 10! I've been looking all over for you!! I'm curious of your due date? Our little one is due Dec. 9 :)

At the beginning of my nausea, I was eating so many crackers but, *barf*, I can't bare to even look at them now, though my belly can handle the hummus luckily (at least ONE source of protein I can stomach). And I just started eating muesli & bars recently.. heaven sent! It doesn't bother my belly whatsoever. Yay!

Well, since I had really irregular periods prior to conception the best estimate I have for my due date is around the first week of December. I'm having a dating ultrasound done on the 20th May so we'll have a more accurate idea then.

I thankfully didn't make myself sick of crackers so far, but in the first few weeks of the nausea I ate lots of ginger cookies and now I can't stand the sight of them, ugh. Try having the hummus on little sticks of carrot or cucumber, it's a nice alternative to crackers. Museli bars are a godsend, especially for me as I'm at university most of the week and am limited by what food I can take there. Another thing I like to take as a good nausea busting snack is a hard boiled egg. Sounds weird but they're pretty kind on the stomach.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Just in case anyone finds it interesting and it's relative to the subject at hand, I thought I'd chime in with a little info. I'm studying developmental psychology at uni at the moment and we recently had a lecture on baby's sleeping patterns. Apparently, newborn babies secrete very little melatonin, which is the hormone responsible for regulating our sleeping patterns. This is why they can be wide awake in the middle of the night and sleep so soundly through the day. Breast milk expressed at night contains substantial amounts of melatonin from the mother, which will aid the baby in sleeping through the night. Melatonin production and secretion starts to increase around the 3-6 month mark, resulting in more distinct night sleeping patterns. According to my lecturer, it is thought that it could be detrimental to try and introduce a sleep routine before this point, because the baby's brain simply isn't geared up to handle it yet.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Good to know! Thanks for linking that article, it was an interesting read.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I had my first ultrasound yesterday and well, that was a surreal experience. Technology is pretty amazing :haw: Also it turns out I'm further along than we thought, I'm at 13 weeks with a due date of 23rd November. Everything is looking good in there, so that's a relief.

We also told my boyfriend's parents last night about the baby via skype as they're living on another continent, and the first thing out of his mother's mouth was "When are you getting married?" :sigh:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Is it worth buying some of those maternity bandeau things? I'm not sure what they're called but they're like a stretchy belt type thing that's meant to support your bump. Are they any good? Does anyone here find them useful? They're on sale at a shop near my uni and I can't figure out whether they'd be useful or not.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I guess I'm the odd one out here, since I am really looking forward to my baby shower. I get to see all my friends and have them come to my house with tasty foods, I can eat whatever without feeling guilty, and there's presents! Bonus! It might be appealing to me because it'll take my mind off how yucky I've felt for the last few months.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Killer frost, I'm really glad to hear things are improving for you :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Congratulations Grey :) Travis is super cute. I hope your mastitis is gone really soon, that sounds awful.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I think having a desire for your baby to share your name, or at least some part of it is a totally valid concern and not irrational at all :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I won some good quality maternity jeans on ebay for $8, and the seller was from my town so I organised with her to pick them up. When I got to her house, she gave me a huge bag of maternity clothes she couldn't be bothered listing on ebay. So I guess I lucked out there.

I've discovered that wrap dresses, long singlet tops, and dresses with empire waists seem to convert reasonably well into maternity wear. Oh and my yoga pants with the roll down waist are great for around the house.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, my partner won't give me back or foot rubs either. He says that it makes his wrists sore, but he does get arthritis so I guess he's got a reason to cop out. He's been fantastic with cooking for me and the cleaning when I ask for help though.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Congratulations to everyone in the thread with their new babies!

Sockmuppet, I hope your baby stays turned the right way around because that procedure sounds so awful, it would be a real downer for you to have gone through that for nought :(

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Can anyone recommend any cures for reflux? I feel like my stomach is actively trying to destroy my gullet. At first it only started happening if I ate something spicy, now I can't even have a banana without triggering fiery pain. I was taking Mylanta, but that's stopped working. I'm seeing my doctor on Friday, but I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion in the meantime? All the stuff I've looked up online (sitting upright, not smoking, avoiding spicy foods, not drinking water with meals) I am already doing and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

rectal cushion posted:

Giving birth :v:

No but seriously reflux sucks balls. I had it so bad with my first pregnancy. I don't have any advice except hang in there, and hopefully the doctor will be able to come up with something. Another thing, I remember feeling so hopeless because if it's this bad now, how awful will it be in 2 weeks, 3 weeks etc. But it didn't get steadily worse. It was an up and down thing, sometimes worse, sometimes better for a while. And when the baby dropped it got better.

Heh :v: I hope it also cures all the other crazy poo poo my body has been doing since I got knocked up!

Just hearing that it's not going to get any worse than it is already is a bit of a relief, thanks. The idea that it was going to get more severe as time went on was really freaking me out.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Jota, you'll be ok. My mother had nonstop puking through her entire pregnancy with me, then she repeated the experience three years later with my brother. Hang in there :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I'm 19 weeks and my daily cup of tea and the occasional can of coke have been keeping me from going insane. Especially over the last few weeks while I was doing my uni exams and finding it very difficult to concentrate on study. You'll be ok!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

That's awesome news Spaz, good on you for persevering :)

I'm presently at the 21 week mark. Crumpet is kicking, a lot. I've still got morning sickness (I have given up hope of it stopping) as well as reflux, acne, excessive tiredness, nose bleeds and back pain. But my latest joyful pregnancy symptom is that it appears that the arches in my feet have collapsed and I can't seem to stand for more than 20 mins at a time. Is there anything I can do to ease this?

I feel like the biggest whinger and that I should just harden the gently caress up :( I'm honestly a bit scared of the 3rd trimester because I kept hearing the 2nd one is usually the time when you get a bit of a break but for me that just hasn't happened. :ohdear:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

What your wife is going through sounds perfectly normal as far as pregnancy nausea is concerned. Mine really fluctuates quite a bit. Some days I'll be overwhelmed by smells and not feel like eating at all, but I know if my stomach gets completely empty then I get even more ill so I'll force myself to eat something. Sometimes I don't feel too bad so I'll try to eat as healthy a meal as possible and after a few bites I'll start feeling sick again. Some days I feel absolutely green and eating a few crackers makes me feel much better for the next hour or so. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for it, as far as the doctor is concerned I wouldn't bother trying to get her to go unless she's not keeping down any food at all, or unless she was getting dehydrated.

Eta: Thanks Ceridwen and Grumpy Snail for the tips! That's encouraging to know. I think I'm maybe just feeling a bit burned out.

bee fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 13, 2013

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Good luck travelsized, I hope everything goes really smoothly for you and your baby!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I had a feeling that I was pregnant with a girl and as far as the ultrasound could tell, I was correct. :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Does anyone know if there is a particular time that you should use to ask friends if they are willing to be godparents? Prior to baby's birth? Just after? Do people even do this anymore or am I way behind the times? I'd love to hear any advice or stories from other goon parents please :) We're not religious at all, but we have some very close friends who are quite simply the most excellent examples of how to be awesome humans and I'd like for them to have a big role in our baby's life.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I'd be waiting for the results of the blood test, since it's going to be the most accurate and your other tests have given you inconsistent results. Good luck :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

CravingSolace posted:

My husband's ex-wife also took his daughter away and his parents don't get to see her often, so I'm afraid that my picking up and running to Tucson would come off as some sort of betrayal to them. She's also stressed that leaving the job that I have would make her look bad (she put in a word for me and helped me get it). My family had offered to fly me out to PA for a month or two and my MIL flipped out at that. She did apologize for that later, though.

Your MIL doesn't seem to be caring that her comments and behaviour are offensive and hurtful towards you, so I don't see why you should be overly concerned about her feelings at this point. Then again, it's possible that she's just one of those oblivious people who say awful things then don't understand why people get offended by them (my mother is like this) so hopefully having a chat with her about her behaviour will enlighten her and things will improve for the two months you are to remain there.

If they don't, take whatever steps may be necessary to improve your stress levels because this is way more important to prioritise than your MIL's feelings. You and your baby's well being is being impacted negatively by her behaviour, and that's really not on. I do hope though that things improve for you, best of luck :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

So far I'm only getting the hip pain if I fall asleep on the lounge or something soft. I've got a reasonably firm latex mattress on my bed and it seems to be keeping me comfortable. So maybe trying out a firmer bed might be of help?

If that's not an option, a friend of mine swears by wearing thermal underwear/shorts to bed to alleviate the hip pain.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Apollo, yes, that's exactly me right now. I'm also finding that sometimes if I sneeze, cough or blow my nose it does something weird to my abdominal muscles and pulls them, which is also quite painful.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I was a 32c - but a small c, before falling pregnant. Now I'm 27 weeks along, and I'm up to an e cup and they don't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down. I am tired of having to buy new bras and a lot of the cotton dresses I was wearing because they fit over my bump now won't actually fit around my chest. :sigh: Chicken Biscuits, I kinda wish I had your worries at the moment :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Isabelle Caramel posted:

Hey everyone! I found out yesterday that I'm 4 weeks pregnant.

I've been cramping pretty badly for the past few days. In addition to this, my right ovary has pretty much been screaming at me. This is normal and expected for my periods, but since this is my first pregnancy I have no idea if this is normal. I spoke to a doctor yesterday and she said that I should go to the ER if the pain becomes too much to bear or if I start bleeding, but otherwise they didn't seem to be too concerned. Today actually feels a little better in regards to the pain, thankfully. I stayed home from school to get some extra rest. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, how long did it go on for?

Yeah, this happened to me too. Lasted about a fortnight then it went away. It's totally normal.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

What if the hospital is 45 minutes drive away? Active labour usually lasts for at least an hour, right?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I had the flu shot at 28 weeks, it was offered to me by the midwife at my antenatal appointment. I wasn't aware then that it was available and safe for pregnant women, but the midwife assured me that it was ok and gave me an information pack on vaccination. Turns out that the protection the shot gives you will also protect your baby for a few months after birth, when they are too little to be vaccinated themselves.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

annaconda posted:

Yes union (of course!), sort-of-rural, sort-of metro hospital - we have the busiest ED in the state and are one of three children's hospitals in the state but we are not located in the metro area, so we often get classified as rural. Honestly, sometimes I think our managers just do things to be cunts for the fun of it. Glad to know I am not being unreasonable, there is this Stockholm-like culture in my unit where we are all "lucky to have this opportunity" and we put up with a lot of poo poo no other place would. They haven't said no yet, I am just loading my ammunition for if they do. Thanks for your advice.

It's pretty surprising that they are still rostering you into shifts where you'd likely be relied on to give CPR, or be needed to move about quickly in an emergency situation! Particularly from a worker's comp perspective, if you were to get injured at work then it would open them up to a heap of paperwork at the least, and a lot of liability and compensation at the worst. Seconding the advice to speak to your union about it, they'd be able to give you the best advice to arm yourself with if management continue to be uncooperative. Best of luck.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

Australian questions! Is it worth choosing a private hospital over a public one? I have no objection to throwing money but I can't see the difference between the two given that we've been told things like it's better to stay in the room and just go straight home after the pregnancy. Also how much leave should we both be taking? Is there a standard number of months?

All this baby stuff is incredibly confusing and scary.

Hey there! :australia: Personally, I'm going public, because I am yet to hear from anyone who used private and thought it was a vast improvement over the care they got in the public system. Additionally, if there is some kind of complication that needs specialist care you are likely to end up getting transferred into a public hospital anyway. A friend of mine opted for a private hospital, then when she went into labour and turned up at the hospital the staff told her that she was too calm to be in labour and to just go have a sleep for a while in one of the rooms. So she went into the room and not long after tried to get out of bed to go to the toilet, ended up on the floor and couldn't get back up again. She called out for help, but couldn't get anyone, so she rang her husband (on his way to the hospital) on her mobile, and he then called the hospital and yelled at them to go to the ward and help her. The staff went in to check her and discovered she was 10cm, and she had the baby a few minutes later. However, the baby wasn't breathing properly so she was then transferred to the nearby public hospital's NICU. The baby and my friend are all ok, but that experience cost her about $6000 out of pocket and she ended up in the public hospital anyway.

I'm sure there are lots of people out there who use private and don't have awful experiences like these, so I guess it depends on how badly you want to have a private room after the baby is born. Maybe go and have a look at your local public hospital's birthing facilities, and the private hospital's rooms and see whether that helps you make a decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Congratulations :D Hopefully you're able to get home together soon.