Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
I've been watching this thread (and the others) for a while now. Here is my contribution, and lession.

After two miscarriages, we finally conceived and this handsome fella was born on Monday afternoon.

It was our first baby, he was 6 lbs 14.8 ounces at 19 inches long. My wife awoke me at 6:41 AM that her water had broke. She was 38 weeks, 4 days into the pregnancy.

By 10:30, with no medication, she was 8 cm dilated and still begging for meds and epidural. By the time the anesthesiologist came, she was nearly 9 cm dilated.

Once the epidural was in, it was a whole new day. She felt no pain whatsoever. By 2:07, she was fully dilated and we got started with pushing. By 3:22 pm, little Christopher Daniel was born!

Lesson to be learned? Even after two missed miscarriages (heartbeat never started), never give up hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah.. Christopher has a stump that's about an inch long. I was wondering the same thing regarding your picture.

They took the clamp off at around the same time for us, too.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

A Pork Eclipse Now posted:

Andrew Christopher has arrived!]

Congrats, and Love the name. :) (It's the same as mine)

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
My wife had two miscarriages before our son was born.

The first time we made the mistake of telling a couple of friends before 12 weeks, and it didn't work out. It wasn't too bad, since we generally just didn't talk about it much (since one miscarriage is so common).

The second time, we thought we were golden (because who has TWO miscarriages in a row, seriously). So we told a few more friends. That was a bit of a mistake, since they were all on baby fever too, so anytime we hung out after the problem, it was like having the elephant in the room.

On the successful pregnancy, we didn't tell anyone except close family (my father an my brothers). Everyone else found out when things were confirmed good.

In the long and short of it, it's super exciting to be able to tell people, but only tell those you won't have awkward moments with as a result. Kind of what like the poster above said in their pros/cons.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Acrolos posted:

To make matters worse, I have a close friend and wife who are pregnant, and are two weeks ahead of us. They told everyone immediately and are basically getting nonstop attention from everyone. It may be a little selfish, but it's tough to watch them talking about it constantly with everyone, while we have to stay quiet... Even though we are going through the exact same thing.

That's pretty much where our Elephant came from on the second try. The couple who we told the first time were working on getting pregnant, they were about 1-2 weeks ahead of us, only for my wife to have a miscarriage.

Kind of made us a bit resentful of them at times, since they seemed to *always* want to talk about it. Not that we didn't want to talk about it, but it was a thorn in the side, each time.

Congrats, and good luck!

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Acrolos posted:

My wife and I are going in for our first appointment tomorrow, which we think will be at 8 weeks (she has odd menstrual cycles, so doesn't remember the exact date to calculate things on). What can we expect for this first appointment?

I have been extremely nervous about the possibility of a miscarriage (I can't help it, I always expect the worst) and I have been waiting on this day so I can get some kind of verification that everything is ok. I was under the impression that we would get an ultrasound and a listen for the heartbeat through a doppler, but I'm now hearing that this doesn't always happen at the first appointment.

So, the question is two-fold.

1. What should I expect for the appointment?

2. Based on what tests they perform, will I at least get some piece of mind that things are ok (or not) at this point...or is it still just a guessing game this early along?

For my wife and I, our experience is to have a blood test to confirm the pregnancy, then schedule an ultrasound at around 8 weeks (estimated). This is where they date the pregnancy to start. Then she will meet with the nurse practitioner at about 10 weeks, and then we meet with the doctor at 12 weeks.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
Granted, my son was born two weeks early, but my wife was working right up to the end. She was supposed to go into work the day after he was born (since the day he was born was an observed holiday).

She didn't have some of the worse effects, however. She had one swollen foot, and it would go away if rested properly overnight. She didn't have much with regard to contractions before he was born or anything.

Had she taken the last month off before he was born, I wouldn't have argued it in the slightest. More rest is better, so long as you get your necessary exercise in, if you ask me.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
On the subject of names, what resources have you all used as a reference to find the names you wanted.

We have a couple names that we are considering for our second son, but my wife has been making all the suggestions up to now.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

GoreJess posted:

We both downloaded a couple of baby names apps that let you look through names alphabetically, by origin, by popularity, etc. It was the easiest way for us to find names that we both liked.

Now, we still haven't made a decision & are waiting until we meet our little dude to give him a name...but we do have a short list of names to consider.

Thanks for the suggestions. We went through the same thing with my first son, but we went with our initial decision of my middle name and my father's first name, as kind of a tribute.

Every time I look through those "10,000 names" apps, I get inundated with just off the board names that I have literally no interest in even considering. I remember looking through the social security list last time, so I may pursue that again.

It's tough to use some names that we had in our list before, because they have been taken by new cousins in the family.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

tse1618 posted:

Do you have any other family names you could use for the baby? It seems more fair that if one child has a name that connects him with family members that the other kid would too.

None that are worthy of any kind of connection other than blood. Most of my family is full of people I am not proud of calling family in public.

I am kind of strict with my naming though, since I want the first and middle names to "match" and sound "good" with the last name, while not having the first name being a "J" name. (I think J names, like Jason, John, Jack, etc. are just too common for my liking)

Everyone is always on my case, because my first son is Christopher Daniel and they are all saying it would have been awesome to be "Jack Daniel", heh.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
Sitting in the hospital with my wife. Woke up with a bunch of fresh blood. 23 weeks along, looks like she's getting diagnosed with placenta previa. Doc said it can't be fully diagnosed until at least next week. He said it is only moderately on the cervix, but it can still be a major issue.

They're starting to have her take iron supplements in case she starts heavily bleeding again. Starting to talk about the options of delivering before 36 weeks if needed. And going to need the NICU, which is at a different hospital.

Anyone else deal with this problem? I've read that "90%" of women grow out of it during the normal course of their pregnancy, but we always usually end up winning the lottery in that regard and end up in the 10%.

She has had off and on *light* bleeding last week for two days, but the doctor saw both and said to just have some bed rest. But with the new developments, things seem a bit more serious now.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Superdawg posted:

My wife's placenta previa situation

Ceridwen, our doctor was specific in what he said not to do during the week. Pretty much all the requirements minus actual bed rest. Said light walking was ok.

My wife was admitted to the hospital this morning for this issue for observation. They said they wanted to keep her for one or two nights (I hope one, this sucks being alone!). If things don't turn out well, then they are likely going to refer us to women and infants in providence (the closest hospital with a NICU) to have a consult and potentially deliver there if the situation deems necessary.

She didn't bleed all day until later on in the afternoon, which was only a little bit. I'm hoping that's just the spotting that you had mentioned, Ceridwen, and that we are still in good shape. She isn't experiencing any pain whatsoever, other than the drat annoying IV in her hand.

Hoping someone else has had a similar experience with a good outcome, just to kind of give a good vibe. All this talk about a NICU and delivery before 35 weeks is a bit concerning to me.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

sudont posted:

My ears perked up at the mention of Providence--I'm in RI, and Women & Infants is where I'll be delivering. I guess I take for granted that we have this specialty hospital here in the teeniest state! I hope everything is fine and you don't have to come here, but if you do, I have had very good experiences with W&I.

Friend of mine just had his baby there last night. I'm not far out. We live in attleboro, and use sturdy as our primary hospital.

So far so good, though. They put her on as close to bedrest as possible eu though true bedrest. She can't drive or go anywhere, only light walking, etc. Hopefully it all clears up soon.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
So it's been a couple weeks (and several pages) since I posted about my wife's placenta previa issue.

Background is that we went to the hospital on 11/18 due to some bleeding she had the night before. They kept her overnight until the next evening to keep an eye on any potential additional bleeding. There was none, she was placed on modified bed rest (can get up to shower, bio, make food, but that's it).

We have had multiple doctor's appointments and ultrasounds since then with no improvement. Our doctor referred us to the closest specialized hospital with a NICU (Women and Infants in Providence, FI, which is about the same distance, timewise, from the house as the regular hospital we use).

Yesterday we had our consult there, and the finding was that the placenta is completely covering the cervix, and as a result has little chance at moving off of it by the time it needs to (which was supposed to be anywhere from a 60 to 90% chance that it would move, based on doctor's info and internet research). As a result, because she has had one bleed already, they are going to recommend a c-section birth at 36 weeks. However, if she were to have another bleed, chances are likely that they would require her to be in the hospital for the remaining duration of the pregnancy. And if a bleed were to not stop, they would need to do an emergency delivery, regardless of when it is, since they have no way to stop it.

As of now, she has not had *any* bleeding since 11/18, so we are just hopeful that things stay this way for the remainder and we only have to look at 36 weeks rather than any potential early delivery.

The doctor we spoke with yesterday was fairly confident in the sense that we will *probably* be transferred to Women and Infants, just for safety's sake. However, the local hospital is perfectly capable of doing a C section, she felt that our regular doctor would probably be more comfortable with that move instead.

This week, she is 25 weeks along, so we are basically at T minus 11 weeks and counting.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

An Cat Dubh posted:

I had my 25 week ultrasound today and they told me I have a low lying placenta. Apparently they saw it on the 20 week scan too but didn't mention it. They scheduled another ultrasound for 34 weeks. As I understand, in most cases a low placenta in the second trimester will move up, but of course that doesn't stop me from being a bit worried, even though it's premature to worry at this point. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Look back in the last few pages. I've posted some information about my wife and my experience with Placenta Previa so far. As of now, she is 26 weeks, 4 days.

As with you, they didn't mention it during the gender ultrasound, but mentioned it after noticing some blood one morning and getting an ultrasound to make sure things were OK at around 22 weeks.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

An Cat Dubh posted:

Superdawg, how is your wife doing? I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes smoothly and I will be keeping the two of you in my thoughts.

My wife is doing fine, these days. We just need to be prepared to essentially go into the hospital at any point from here on out until the end of the pregnancy.

We had an appointment earlier this week with her regular doctor's office (her doctor was on vacation, so one of the other doctors stepped in). He basically said that it's up to us where we want to deliver, unless of course something were to happen, which would force us into the other hospital.

She hasn't had any bleeding since we were at the hospital last month and isn't feeling any pain of any sort, so it's really just a matter of keeping our fingers crossed.

Our first son came almost two weeks early, so this one I guess just wants to set the family record for shortest time in the womb, heh.

Hope the same for you as well. :)

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
We found out Wednesday that my wife goes in for the Amniocentesis on Wednesday (2/20), and if the baby's lungs are ready, the c-section on Thursday morning!

I'm planning on taking 2-3 weeks from work to make sure she heals properly without stressing things out too much from dealing with our 1 year old.

Here's to our last week before massive sleep deprivation sets in again. :) Looking forward to it.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
After dealing with placenta previa for the majority of the pregnancy, my wife had a successful c section with our newest addition to the family, Matthew Phillip.

Wednesday we had a scheduled amniocentesis, which came back saying Matthew's lungs were not ready. If they were "ready", he would have been delivered on Thursday at our primary hospital of choice.

Fast forward to Friday afternoon. I was at work an hour away, and her water broke at about 1:45 pm. Matthew was delivered at 7:44 pm at 36 weeks 5 days. He was 6 lbs, 9 oz and 19.75 inches. There were no complications at all during the procedure.

She is now recovering from the c section and Matthew is stuck in the nicu after having slight respiratory issues and low glucose levels.

Respiratory issues fixed after putting him in a hood with 29% oxygen. After a few hours he was breathing room air again.

Now, his glucose is unstable and they have him on an iv to try and stabilize it. They say this is very normal for a premature delivery and that it should clear up eventually. Let me tell you. This part sucks.. Even more so given the rooming arrangement here. He is basically on the opposite side of the hospital from where our room is.

However, he looks almost like a twin of his 14 month old brother when he was born. :)

Here is a pic I snapped a few hours ago:

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
I've got two sons, one 3 months and the other 16 months. Now that the nice weather is showing up, we are looking to pick up a double stroller that is comfortable to use, ideally would have the 16 month old sitting in front as if it was a standard stroller (facing forward, etc.) and preferably fit the Graco car seat we have in the back, though that last part probably isn't a complete requirement. Portability is a plus too, since we would still like to have *some* room in the back of the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what they may have used or are using?

We were looking at this one (http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Ready2G...double+stroller), but people complained that it's not comfortable to push because of the foot rest for the back child (and it has the older kid in the back)

I believe we were looking at this one (http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Double-Stroller-Elixer/dp/B003JTF2U2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367652071&sr=8-5&keywords=double+stroller), but I'm not completely comfortable with it.

This is why I come here asking for opinions. I'd like to see if there are any better options out there. Money isn't a huge factor in it, but I don't want to pay $500 for a stroller, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
That's the same one I linked.

bamzilla posted:

I have this stroller and absolutely love it. I love all the options. It controls well and I haven't noticed any issues pushing it with that foot rest. The only issue with the foot rest is that the brake is right in the middle of it and sometimes my daughter kicks at it, but she's not heavy enough to engage it. I also read that people have issues with their kids being too big for the front seat, but my daughter is tall and 40lbs and she fits in it comfortably. For the price I think it's the best double stroller option avail, personally. I found it on Target's site on sale for $141 with free shipping.
Thanks for the feedback. I just don't want to spend the money on something like that and hate it for exactly the reason I read, so I needed some kind of confirmation that it is ok. :)