Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Congrats Phooney!

For our baby boy, we invested in a packet of pee pee teepees, and it was worth every penny. I cannot even count the number of times it protected me from his spray, and they are easy to clean and very durable.

We did not put mittens on him, and he did scratch himself a bit for the first few weeks, but we didn't want to keep him from learning to grab stuff and touch things. A few nurses at the hospital assured us their baby skin heals rather quickly from the scratches and they were right. He still scratches his face every once in a while (he's nearly 3 months old now) but we just try to stay on top of his fingernails and trim them while he nurses. We didn't use nail trimmers for the first few weeks, we just peeled them off with our fingers (as one of the nurses showed us to do).

And make sure you wipe down every fold of his thighs and genitals when you change his poopy diaper - that stuff manages to find its way into every nook and cranny.

Before you leave the hospital, make sure you have asked the nurses to show you all their tips and tricks. It was one random nurse during my recovery who mentioned you have to flare out the diapers on the kid's legs, or they will leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and support over the past year. My little guy is 3 months old today, so we graduate into the parenting thread!

(Bruce at 1 day old)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

To:
(Bruce at 3 months old)

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Where does the time go?!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Hiccups are perfectly normal.

While I was pregnant, my kid would get the hiccups around the same time each day. It was kind of freaky. I figured it was probably when he would wake up and gulp down lots of amniotic fluid. I could see his body bumping against my belly with each hiccup, so that was awesome.

During the first few weeks after his birth, the kid would get the hiccups while crying for food, and get frustrated when he wasn't able to nurse while hiccuping. Now, he just gets really calm when it happens, almost like he enjoys it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

Anyone else have their babies size estimated before birth? How accurate, or not, was it? I'm just curious.

Our final estimate via ultrasound about a week before delivery was 8 1/2 pounds. He was born at 9 1/2 pounds. They also said he was of average length, and he was born at 23 inches.

I have no idea if they ever do a post-delivery comparison between estimates and actuals, but I bet the results would be hilariously off-kilter.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I love me some stinky cheese, and what tipped people off to my being pregnant more than skipping the booze was skipping the cheese.

Can you get virgin cocktails, and just carry them around all night? Can you just get a tonic and lime or something? Near beer in a glass?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

BTW, Liam Patrick was born Friday, weighing in at a featherweight 9 pounds 8 ounces. We went home from the hospital today, and aside from nursing pain, we are well. Glad to be back home with Midget, all together now. :)

Congrats! Hooray for big babies!

My first few days hurt like hell, as well. I honestly didn't think I could handle the pain, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Once my milk came in (4-5 days after delivery) it got MUCH less painful.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Captain Cancer posted:

Are pregancy vitamin formulas a crock of poo poo, or are they actually worth the money?

I know folic acid is important and it has been taken from when we were trying to conceive. My partner has a pretty healthy and full diet anyway, but I'm in that excitable frame of mind where I want to seek out anything and everything that could have a positive effect on the pregnancy.

I have heard DHA is worthless, but I take it anyway! I'm a vegetarian, so I found an algae-based DHA pill. I also take iron supplements and GNC prenatals.

I took them all throughout my pregnancy, and have continued after birth while I breastfeed exclusively.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

We put Target bags in a regular waste basket, and Febreeze it when it gets a little stinky.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

And not to sound gross, but putting lots of disposable diapers loose in a big outside trash can seems like it would invite a lot of hungry animals and bugs.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

We use a changing table and I love it. The kid seems to love it as well, as he usually gets all smiley and giggly during changes. We also turn in the radio every time we change him, and sing along to entertain him. We usually spend a few minutes after changing him just hanging out and singing/playing. It also works as a clothing storage area and doesn't take up too much space. We got it on clearance at a Babies R Us for about $50.

I use a Boppy as well, though it doesn't fit around my waist so I use it in reverse like a big pillow. We got it as a hand-me-down. We also use it to prop him up for pictures and for hanging out on the bed and couch with him. I also use it as a pillow sometimes to nap on.

And my kid loved his Bumbo. Seriously, he squeals in delight nearly every time we put him in it. He's used it for a month now, and will probably use it for another month until he's sitting up and moving around on his own, but these two months will be the glorious reign of the Bumbo in our home.

For carriers, I suggest the rental system on Paxbaby.com Try out a few different kinds to see what works for you and your baby.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Congratulations, Longpig! I, too, went through the joys of both a labor and a C-section. Good times.

A Serious Woman posted:

Ok, Zoey is just over 5 weeks old and breastfeeding is still posing to be a huge challenge.

I joined a local private garden as well as the county arboretum, so I could have the ability to get out of the house and out in the world, while still having somewhere to sit on a bench and breastfeed if I had to. These places are usually pretty empty during the week, except for the random gaggles of older folks, so you'd probably be able to find some private places if you're worried about making a mess or anything. I have no idea if that is appealing to you, but it worked for me. I never breastfed with a nipple shield, though, so I don't know how it works logistically. I use an udder cover to cover up. And I leak as well, so I just make sure I have at least one nipple pad on when we go out.

We also got a backyard swing, so I could spend time outside and breastfeed. I also just walk him around the neighborhood, at least once a day. And if he gets fussy, we're only a block or so from home.

I'd say aim for the 6 week mark, and reevaluate how breastfeeding is working out for you. It seems breastfeeding is worth it to your kid in the long run, even if it's a pain in the rear end for you, so I'd say hang in as long as you can.

Have you considered pumping? Or supplementing?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

A Serious Woman posted:

So what do you guys do to keep your kids entertained?

Do you go on walks or sit outside with her? My kid is endlessly fascinated watching our dogs in the backyard, or watching the world go by on a long walk. He also likes to people watch.

And we found a few choices tunes that he loves to listen to over and over again. Our current go-to song is Around The World by Daft Punk. He sits on my lap and I bounce him on my knee to the beat while I am on the computer.

As for the bad back, have you tried any baby carriers? The Pikkolo I bought has an optional support belt attached, so the bulk of my kid's weight is carried on my hips. You can rent them from Paxbaby to try them out.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Fantasmo posted:

My wife is getting upset because our 6 week old seems to enjoy being left on his back more than being held. He'll pay more attention to us when we play with him on his back, but fusses within a couple minutes of being held. It's really making her sad. Also it's hard to maintain eye contact while holding him. He just looks around everywhere.

Has anyone else gone through this? Is it normal?

My kid was never very cuddly in the first few months, and hated being held close to me. But he's 4 1/2 months now and much more open to being held close (he actually tolerates a Moby these days) and hugging. I don't think being cuddled and held is a natural desire in all babies. Some are just more independent than others.

We made a little hugging game, starting when he was a few weeks old: when he was on the changing table and threw his arms out wide when startled, I would call out "Hugs!" and give him a hug. Now that he's older, I can call out "Hugs!" and he giggles when I hug him.

And yeah, your kid's eyes are getting better now and seeing things more clearly so he's probably more interested in looking around than at you guys. My kid was the same way, he was fascinated by this picture we have over the couch and would just stare at it for a while. I think as long as he makes occasional eye contact and generally acknowledges your presence it's all good.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Looks like Valentine's Day was a pretty special time for many goon households. I got knocked up last year around the same time as well, and announcing it to our families on Mother's Day was pretty awesome.

Congrats to all the November babies!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

It's the same thing with diving and pregnancy. I was two dives away from finishing my Advanced Open Water certification when I found out I was pregnant. I asked if we could just do the dives above 35 feet, but they refused.

It's another one of those "the only way to test is to put unborn babies at risk so we just say no diving" situations. It's pretty frustrating, it's been over a year since I had to pause my certification, and I don't even know when I can do it again since I am breastfeeding and can't really be away from my kid for more than 2 hours at a time.

In all, it's really not that important and my baby was healthy, but I wish there was a way to clarify the risks.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

My son is 5 months old and I have tried to make sure we go outside every day, even if it's just walking the dogs or lingering while getting the mail. Unless the weather is REALLY crappy, and even then I want to get him used to the elements so we venture out sometimes (while staying warm & dry).

We put our kid in a Bumbo while we're futzing around in the backyard, and have also draped a receiving blanket over his playmat and laid him in the grass. I carry him in a sling while watering plants and picking fruit.

I make sure he's not in direct sun, and if he is I make sure he's wearing a hat with a brim to keep the sun out of his eyes and a thin sleeper-outfit to protect his skin.

We've gone to Joshua Tree twice over the past few months. The first time when he was 2 months old, he got a minor sunburn on his cheeks because I failed to make sure his hat's brim covered his face, but it healed very quickly and it hasn't happened since.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Brennanite posted:

Now, another question: how did/do you find birthing classes? My practice offers a two-class seminar. The first class is pre- through post-labor and the second is newborn care. Personally, I think it takes more than an hour to be adequately prepared, but maybe that's just me.

Our newborn care class was about 2 hours long, and it was offered by the hospital. It covered the basics, like swaddling and diaper changes. We also took a breastfeeding class that talked about colostrum, different ways to hold the baby and nursing bras. Each class was pretty much common sense stuff with some interesting facts thrown in, and each class came with lots of free samples of products like nipple cream and some reading material.

I honestly learned more from the nurses in the hospital during our 3-day stay. They helped me with my nursing latch and holds, gave helpful advice about diaper changes, and basically kept everything in perspective. They were a huge help!

But you're never truly prepared. Especially for things like projectile pooping and middle-of-the-night screamfests.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

vanessa posted:

Any advice on how to bring it up while managing to keep her scenes to a minimum?

I am very sorry for your loss.

As for breaking the news, is there any way to get her out of the office into a more casual or private situation? Maybe offer to buy her lunch tomorrow and take her somewhere neutral to discuss your situation with her.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Brennanite posted:

Question for those of you who have already had your babies: how often do you use your changing table? (As opposed to changing on the floor/bed, I assume you change a lot of diapers in general.) Do you consider it necessary to have? If you have open shelves, do you wish you had drawers? I'm thinking about making one, rather than paying $90 for a couple of pieces of particleboard.

I got an awesome sturdy one at Babies R Us on sale for about $40. It puts the baby just above waist level so you don't really have to bend over to change him. It's basically this:

I like it because we put all of our baby items in small plastic tubs on those open shelves - it makes it very easy to shift them around, bring them out to other rooms and keep different items separate (bibs in one bin, socks/shoes/hats in another) like portable little drawers. The top area is recessed, and keeps our changing pad even more secure. I like it a LOT more than I thought I would, and my son likes looking at the big poster we have over the changing area. We can even clip a mobile or something over the changing area to keep him distracted though we haven't had to do that.

You can see it in action here.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I bought 6 nursing bras. It seemed like overkill when I first bought them, but once I started using them I was grateful to have extras and not have to do laundry every day. I highly recommend getting a few more than you expect to need, especially if you leak like I did.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

My husband and I eloped, then spent the next two years traveling the world and doing all the things we wanted to experience before having kids (scuba diving was a big one for me!)

I knew I wanted kids around the age of 30, because I knew I wanted to have multiple kids and I didn't want to be elderly when they graduated high school. I made a point of really enjoying my 20s and making sure I was comfortable with myself and my husband before moving on to parenthood. I also hung out with couples who had kids to see what techniques worked for them and to learn from their mistakes.

I worked right up until the fall before I got pregnant, but I don't foresee going back unless our finances demand it. I made sure we had a sizable nest egg before I got pregnant, and I made sure my husband was cool with the idea of me being a stay-at-home mom. Essentially, I tried living the hell out of life while still saving money and developing a strong relationship with my husband before trying for kids.

All of that being said, there are simply too many factors to ever be truly "ready" for kids. Some people get all their ducks in a row and then have major troubles with infertility. Some people seem to be in the perfect relationship and then discover their partner cheated on them or lied about financial problems, etc. Some people never feel ready for kids.

It all depends on your lifestyle, your comfort level, your ability to stretch your finances, your energy level, etc. No one can tell you if/when it's the right time for kids.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Whitey Ford posted:

My wife is now at 20 weeks and in her own words, it has been "easy" so far. She's barely showing a tummy, we had the big US and our baby is bang on the development size for her gestational age. Mum to be has not had any negative symptoms from the pregnancy and in the last week I have been able to feel the baby moving about.

Yeah, my pregnancy was pretty uneventful except for some major foot/ankle swelling near the end and some heartburn I kept in check by chewing lots of gum. I didn't even have morning sickness. It was only when I missed my due date and my blood pressure went up did things get hairy.

Whitey Ford posted:

Oh and everyone is giving us poo poo for finding out the sex prior to birth.

gently caress 'em.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

bellybutton posted:

So yeah. I'm really, really afraid. I recognize that most women who are 8 months pregnant are terrified. I recognize that millions and millions of women have C-Sections every year, and they and their babies are just fine. I recognize that my fear is irrational. This does not make me any less afraid.

When I went past my due date and my cervix was "high and hard", I got a little worried. When my blood pressure started to rise over the few days after and I was told I would likely be scheduled for a C-section, I got a little more worried. When they did a "no-stress test" and I heard the baby's heartbeat and it all kind of hit me that I was going to be giving birth and had to care for this little person and my desire for a natural birth on my due date was being thwarted and what the hell did I know about raising a kid...I broke down in the doctor's office.

I decided to try for an induction the day before my C-section was scheduled. I was 6 days past my due date, and I figured it would be my best shot for vaginal delivery. After 24 hours of cervidil and pointless contractions, I was barely 1 cm dilated and had to have the C-section anyway. For someone who had never been in a hospital before, all the wires, nurses, heart monitors and scrubs were overwhelming. Being wheeled into the surgery room was pretty scary, and getting the epidural was probably the worst part. I was quietly weeping during the whole procedure, fearing for the worst.

But there were moments of pure bliss, as odd as that sounds. They were playing awesome 80s music in the delivery room, and I remember Bohemian Rhapsody was on when my son was delivered. I remember my tiny Asian doctor showing me my son for the first time, and he was literally half her size. I remember the massive relief I felt when they pulled out my placenta. I remember the immediate body shakes I had recovering from surgery.

And I remember they wheeled in my son about 2 hours after delivery and he's been mine ever since.

You will go through a rollercoaster of emotion and pain, but (hopefully) it will all be worth it.

bellybutton posted:

How am I supposed to take care of a baby in the two weeks after surgery? Am I just freaking the hell out because I'm 8 months pregnant, and that's what I'm supposed to be doing?

This is what friends and family are for, to do dishes, get you food, etc.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Do you really mean you're just going to keep on going regardless of age? I plan on breastfeeding and I'd like to do child guided weening, but I'm worried they wont want to ween!

My goal is to stop around 12 months, we're at nearly 8 months now. I honestly just want my body back, as in I'd love to get rip-roaring drunk one more time! Our goal is to have another kid when my first is around 2 years old, which means I have maybe a 6 month window of time for grandma to babysit a few times and momma to have some fun! I know that sounds immature, but I've been breastfeeding on demand for nearly 8 months and I could use a break.

I honestly never thought I could go this long but here I am, so I could see people going a few years. My mother-in-law loves to tell the story about how my husband just refused the boob one day, so self-weaning is possible.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Chandrika posted:

What got my pregnancy rage on like nothing else was the loving jerks on the bus who wouldn't give me a seat.

I felt the same way, though I never got really rageful about it. I think I just noticed it more. Things like people not holding the door open for you and it whacking you on the belly. Stuff like that.

I wish I could say people were more considerate when you are hauling around a baby, but the lack of manners remains. I have had people muscle past me for a shopping cart, cut in front of me in line at the grocery store, and the classic wall of people filling the sidewalk who don't make move to make way for me and my child coming from the other direction. People can be assholes.

But I have also had a few awesome experiences, like the man who held my rolling shopping cart while I quickly unloaded it and the grocery store workers who loaded my food onto the checkout lane. People can be great.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Janelle posted:

Now for questions. Those of you who use/d moby wraps, how long would you wear baby and was it hard to get him used to not being held when he outgrew it? I bought one today and it is a godsend. How hot do they get? I'm in Texas where we get very, very hot. Will I get super sweaty if I wear it outside?

I have one, but I only used it during the winter and spring here in Southern California. We got really warm in our Moby, so we switched to a sling once the weather started heating up. I also use an Ergo.

I really didn't use the Moby as much as I thought I would.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Awesome Kristin posted:

My arms have been falling asleep and I'm only at 9 weeks. Will this get worse? I can't seem to find any position that will fix the problem. Between that and having to pee 3 times a night, I end up having to stay in bed for like 10 hours or more just to feel rested.

I had a lot of circulation issues during my pregnancy, and they never really let up. I eventually had to sleep propped up in the corner of the couch to keep my limbs from falling asleep, keep the heartburn in check, reduce my congestion, etc. I missed my bed, but it was the most restful sleep I got during the second half of my pregnancy.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Dr. Octagon posted:

She just had her baby, so she was close to the end... but still. Please, someone tell me that this won't happen to my feet. This is not normal, right? If I looked down and saw that, I would be horrified.

I didn't realize how bad my feet were swollen because it was a gradual change. It never got that bad, but it does happen to a lot of folks. And it went away within a day or so of delivery.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Number19 posted:

The cost is not really an issue for us. It's mostly just as I stated: it's an extra ultrasound that isn't for diagnostic reasons, just for "fun."

I think every baby looks exactly the same in those terrifying images. You could just find a few on the web and show them to her.

But if it doesn't hurt her or the baby, and you can afford it, why not indulge her? She's going through a lot right now (being pregnant and all) so if seeing a distorted image of your baby would make her happy, go with it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

TheSpiritFox posted:

Words of wisdom for a 27 year old soon to be father? Book recommendations? I'm going to start reading through the thread but anything that seems like it should be thrown at me is welcome.

Congratulations! I hope your wife has a smooth and uneventful pregnancy. Every woman experiences this process differently. Some women have mood swings, morning sickness, sore boobs, various body issues, etc. Some women have some of those problems. Some women have none. Just try to be as understanding and compassionate as possible without being smothering.

Try to pay attention to the posts about being an rear end in a top hat on your wife's behalf when it comes to interfering family members, if you have any. And don't stress too much - many first time fathers have little to no interaction with kids before meeting their own, and they all seem to do just fine.

Good luck!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

There is another promotional sale going on for Udder Covers and Seven Slings:
Free Nursing Covers & Breast Pads at UdderCovers.com
Free Baby Carriers at SevenSlings.com
Use Promo Code "Breastfeeding" at Both Websites

1. Go to SevenSlings.com and/or UdderCovers.com.
2. Click on "Shop Now" and select any baby carrier, nursing cover and/or breast pads you like.
3. Once you have made your selection, you'll automatically be directed to the shopping bag.
Enter the promo code " Breastfeeding " and both companies have agreed to deduct 100% of
the cost of the carrier or nursing cover - all you pay are the shipping fees!

I ordered both of these items during a promo last year, and use them frequently. The sling is our go-to baby carrier, and the udder cover blends so well with my clothes that people often don't realize I am breastfeeding under it.

I sound like a shill for the company, but I swear I'm not. I am honestly surprised this stuff I got for so cheap has been so useful, and random people often wonder how such a simple sling can be so handy. I get a lot of compliments on both items. I got an Udder Cover in the black material with white pearly pattern, and the sling is blue with a white pattern.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

anythingbutbloo posted:

I'm interested in one of the slings -- it lists a weight limit as 35lbs, but how stable is a larger baby in the sling? My kid is ~24lbs right now, so we'd be getting it for him a little bit (he's in a must-be-held constantly phase) but mostly for the next kid later on.

Also, how accurate are the sizes? I'm almost perfectly between two sizes and I'm not sure which way to lean (I'm wanting to avoid the "size insurance" if I can).

I cannot attest to larger babies. My kid is kind of small, and we've been using it from when he was 4 months old (around 12 pounds). He's maybe 17 pounds now at 8 months old, and we still use him in the front carry kangaroo pouch position. I foresee being able to use this thing for at least another year, as the fabric is really sturdy and the seams are strong. We'll just have to switch positions to the side carry.

I would buy bigger than you need, and if it's too big you can wash it and dry it on hot to shrink it some. That's a known problem with these slings, shrinking after machine drying. We hang dry ours and have never had any problems.

Both my husband and I use the sling, so it's slightly adaptable between body types. And it's easy to put on one-handed while holding our son, and then slip him in. I use it all the time at grocery stores and stuff.

My kid doesn't squirm a lot, though, so if you have an active baby it might not be stable enough. He just kind of sits in it and watches the world go by.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

For our announcement, I took a picture of a Cthulhu figurine in a baby carrier and posted it with "He Is Coming!"

As for baby stuff, whatever you buy make sure you can return. We got so many hand-me-down items we really didn't need much. We have an INSANE amount of baby clothes, half-a-dozen baby slings & carriers, and toys that were given to us.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Awesome! This is more my husband and mine's speed. I don't think it's boring to just post an ultrasound of pregnancy test, but it's not us. If I'm not confusing my friends or making them have to think, I'm failing at facebook.

Some people didn't seem to understand the photo, so it took my slow body changes in posted photos for people to get it. I never actually declared the pregnancy, or discussed it really, on Facebook. I did post status updates from my long labor, which people thought was hilarious. People don't seem to realize that labor, for the most part, is sitting around and waiting. When he was born, we posted the same Cthulhu photo with "He Is Here!" and much discussion of impossible angles and parallel universes was had.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

YES! I am having the most vivid dreams every night. They seem so incredibly real but they couldn't possibly with how weird they are. What about anyone else?

I had a few night terrors during the pregnancy. I actually ran from the bed and into the living room while still asleep, the dreams were so vivid and terrifying. It must have been the Old One I was gestating.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

MoCookies posted:

It reminds me of some really good advice I recently got from another young parent. He said make sure to figure out how to keep what's really important to you a part of your routine, even after the baby arrives. He's a really chill, involved parent, (and a great musician) so it was nice to hear someone say it's okay to be 'selfish' in that way, even after you have a baby. Definitely my favorite baby-related advice so far.

Long before I had my son, I was taking notes on how other people were raising their kids. The one thing that drove me nuts was seeing people who completely changed their lives around their kids. Don't get me wrong, if that makes you and your family happy then go for it. But I knew I would be miserable if I let go of the things I love, including traveling, camping and socializing.

Within weeks of my son's birth, we were on a plane. At a few months old, I took him to a house party where he slept in a baby carrier as I mingled and celebrated with friends. I take him to many of the places I love to go and share my life with him. Sure, you have to make adjustments. When your baby decides to start babbling very loudly in the middle of an art gallery, it's best for all involved if you remove yourself. If we are out and about and he's clearly miserable or if the situation becomes inappropriate, then we leave. But I made the choice long before I had my son that our lives would continue and he would be a part of the stuff we love to do.

So far, so good.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

So is it common to stay in the hospital for several days after the baby is born? I figured I'd go home asap unless there is bad tearing.

2 days recovery for vaginal delivery, 3-5 days for C-section is what our hospital was. We were in for 3, for my C-section.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

We told a close friend right away, just in case something went wrong early in the pregnancy and I ended up in the hospital or something. I had multiple secrets to tell my family (they didn't know I had eloped a few years prior) so we opted to spring it all on everyone after the first trimester.

I liked being in the hospital, having meals brought to me and stuff. But we had awesome insurance that covered 99.9% of our stay. And all I wanted to do was sleep. I brought magazines, an ipod, etc - I didn't use any of it. I did use my laptop, but just to check email quickly and I posted a few times on the forums.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

We were handed down bins and bins and bins of clothes, along with dozens of bibs, tons of toys and random packs of diapers. It was insane, and I knew it was way too much stuff, even though everyone said I would need it all. I rotate maybe 5 outfits on the kid, and everything else just sits in the bins. I plan on having lots of kids, so maybe it will all get used? I doubt it, but I will eventually pay it forward.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

netally, I breastfeed exclusively and I still think it's gross. We feed him a little bit of solids at 9 months-old, mostly table foods for dinner, but otherwise he's a boob-fed baby. I don't pump or anything, just boob. For me there's still a disconnect - when he's latched, I don't see the milk oozing from my body into his mouth, therefore the ick factor is reduced quite a bit for me. I have never expressed milk on purpose, just accidentally leaked a few times during the first few months and that was pretty gross.

So, if you ask me, your phobia sounds normal and reasonable but you can still breastfeed your kid. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

My husband took 6 weeks off. We had the kid right before Thanksgiving, so he was already getting a few of those days off for the Holidays. He could have taken more, but he had just started that job a few months before and one of his co-workers took ONE DAY off for his child'd birth a few weeks before us. ONE DAY, for the delivery I presume. My husband felt a bit of pressure not to take the max, and 6 weeks was a pretty solid amount of time to bond with the kid and make sure my breastfeeding was going well and everything was ok.

My husband did run interference with the family, mostly with my own mother. He also took care of our dogs and cleaned as well as he could. But mostly he changed diapers and hung out with our son, which was awesome.