Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
New goon baby incoming! We're 12
weeks along and now that it's sinking in I'd like to know if anyone could suggest a dad book? Is there the equivalent for men to the what to expect when expecting book?

Also I've read about 30 pages of the thread and really appreciate reading the stories so far. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Cathis posted:

My husband bought http://www.amazon.com/Dads-Pregnant-Too-Expectant-expectant/dp/1402211333 and reads parts of it out loud in the evenings. It's a book and at the very least it's made him think about stuff we hadn't gotten around to discussing yet!

Thanks for the book suggestions, I'll check them out!

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have suggestions regarding Cats and Cat gates? We've got a 2br 2 story house and 3 cats. 2 are ok but the other one is terrible and fights alot and goes to the bathroom if we so much as move too fast. He's getting old so I'm praying he just kicks it one day.

Our concerns are ...can the cats jump over the gate? What do you do with allergies? These suckers shed like crazy. What about cats scratching the kid? Any other tips?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Most cats can jump over baby gates. Is the grouchy old one less mobile, though? An arthritic cat might have a harder time. Is it possible to set things up so that your older cat can stay more or less in a baby-free area (e.g. an upstairs litter box and water)? Otherwise, gates are totally awesome and let the cats decide when they've had enough baby. That's the really important thing. Make sure the cats can have plenty of space away from the stressful new baby, and obviously don't have cats and babies together unsupervised.

The baby is still a few months away, sorry for not mentioning that. We're trying to project possible issues down the line. I was figuring the gate at the top of the stairs so they would then have another step to jump up on top of the gate. I'm not sure they have that much air, but I'm sure they'd love to prove me wrong. I have enormous allergies so my kid is probably going to have it rough. We go so far as to have a hepa filter and the super filters for our AC system and it still doesn't do much.

I guess the whole answer to everything is don't ever leave the cat with the baby unsupervised which is good advice. I'm hoping the old dude bites the dust before we get to the tail grabbing part. The other two seem to not give a drat about anything so we're not too concerned with them. Thanks for the feedback.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

orinth posted:

Well we have triplets. My wife gave birth last Thursday at 29 weeks 5 days. All three are of course in the NICU and will be for some time. They're a week old today and doing well. All of them are breathing on their own. Little Brendan was only on a CPAP for about 12 hours and has been breathing on his own for 6 days while Trevor got off his yesterday.

My wife is 28 weeks and up until these pictures I've been imagining how big our daughter will be. The What to expect app says head of cabbage, but unless my kid is a cabbage it's tough to pick out arms and legs and head size for me. Seeing these pictures puts a really eye opening experience of what size she is around. Glad to see they're progressing ahead well.