Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Guess I can officially join this thread now--just got back from the doctor and apparently I'm pregnant! :toot: I've missed 2 periods in all, so I was expecting to be something like nine weeks along, but the urine test was so faint the doc said I'd probably conceived sometime in the last month and just missed the previous period for the hell of it. So I'm trying to keep a lid on it for a while, but if I don't tell somebody I'ma pop :3:

Does anyone here have experience with tapering off antidepressants while pregnant, specifically Zoloft? I've seen plenty of resources that suggest it's not dangerous in pregnancy, but I've also read that when the baby's born that it might suffer withdrawals, and having been through it myself I definitely don't want to put a new kid through it. (Quitting Paxil, even on a very slow taper, was a sumbitch.) So if anyone has experience with that and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd much appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Exelsior posted:

^ She is also growing a placenta. Everyone always forgets the placenta. You are growing a whole new organ! Like a liver! How cool is that?

I tapered off ADs while pregnant to 'protect my baby'. I then went on to suffer the most severe ante and post natal depression known to man. It was really, really terrible and I said some awful things. Nearly 6 months out and it is controlled but not gone. If I had another child I would keep taking the ADs, breastfeeding be damned. A happy mother is far and away the absolute most important thing for a baby. And for you.

I've been lurking this thread for a while, I remember your situation :( I'm glad you're feeling better.

Soonest I can see an OB is next Wednesday; I will ask her about it for sure. If I can avoid quitting I'd like to; I lost my dad last September and it is still really hard to deal. I got about halfway home yesterday evening before having a mini-meltdown in my car because he would have been so, so happy about this. :smith: I will try not to e/n in this thread too much though :)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Buggerlugs posted:

My wife got a positive test result (well, 8) last weekend, we're both still in the clouds after trying for 18 months. She's currently at 6 weeks.

My wife is on a small dosage of an anti-depressant called Sertraline and has been reducing the dose for 2 years now. Does anyone know if it's best to now cut it out and risk the mood swings, or will it be ok to continue? Her doctor basically said it was up to her and it "should" be ok. I prefer experience over vague advice to be honest.

Edit: Well poo poo, this was sort of discussed on the very last page, that'll teach me to read first. I'd still like any opinions still out there.

:whatup: :smith::respek::smith:
I don't see a doctor until Wednesday, but I'll let you know what she thinks about it, if it helps. I'm still on the fence.

Also, are you saying she took eight tests?! Daaaang. I only took 2 and was already tired of peeing on things!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

I'm sorry to hear that, bellybutton...I'm hoping for the best for you.

I've had a somewhat less rough day. Went for my first prenatal appointment. They rooted around in me with the transvaginal ultrasound wand for like 10 minutes before calling the doctor back in to confirm that they didn't really see anything. The cyst on the ovary where the egg was produced was there, which they said was a good sign, but they couldn't really see anything in the uterus. So they took about a gallon of blood and pee and I have to go back Friday to see if my hCG levels are increasing.

I just can't believe I could be that early. The last time I should have been fertile was four weeks ago, but I'd already missed one period before that. WTF are you doing, body. :smith:

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

bellybutton posted:

A couple of days ago, I posted about being told my little fetus likely had a heart condition.

This morning, we had our appointment at Children's Hospital in the fetal medicine department for an echocardiogram.

After, the cardiologist came in and went over each part of her heart with us. The bottom line? The baby is FINE. There is nothing wrong with her heart. He has no idea what it was that caused someone to get all worked out on the ultrasound, but at the end of the day, her little heart is perfect.

I got a TON of PMs and introduced to some pretty amazing folks in the Facebook group over the last couple of days. Thank you all SO much for your support and encouraging words. It made a difference.

Holy poo poo I know you are relieved. Congratulations!

I got good news from the doctor today too--my hCG levels are increasing properly, and apparently I'm only about 5 weeks pregnant. :psyduck: Waaaaaay earlier than I thought, but hey, there's something in there. Yay!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Ahh, the miracles of motherhood. The special bond with the child. The satisfaction of nourishing another human being. The heft of a wet diaper. :D

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

:butt:postin

Has anyone else had rear end-murdering diarrhea in their early pregnancy? My mom says she had it with me, and now I had it. On the bright side, I'm not nauseous while I'm making GBS threads my brains out. However, as soon as I stop it with some Imodium, the nausea returns. Give it a day or so and the nausea stops and the poo poo-golem returns. Is this A Thing? I honestly did not know that this was A Thing.

(I hope this does not jinx me, I'd rather pass out than throw up, but this seriously feels like I'm throwing up from the other end and it is getting old)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Bahunter22 posted:

We went to the first appointment today. Doctor said the kid looks great and healthy, we didn't get to hear the heartbeat but we did see it. The doctor estimated it to be around 150 bpm. We got a shiny new photo for the grandparents to cry over too. Looks like January 19th, 2012 is the magic day.

A question though, did anyone else start getting nasty headaches during the first trimester? I'm 8 weeks, 4 days and they started in over the weekend. They're just brutal and I'm looking for something other than naps to turn to since I work all day. Any suggestions?

I'm due the day before you :3:

Wish I could help with the headaches but mine have blessedly decreased so far...I've only had one or two since I got pregnant, as opposed to one or two a week beforehand. Tylenol has taken care of those I have gotten pretty fast.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

dishonesty posted:

$180 for all that? May I ask where you got them from?

That was a really helpful post, so thanks :)

Seconding this...my husband is having heart attacks looking at the prices of the cloth diaper packages I've found.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

CommanderApaul posted:

There's a handful of people, mainly my wife's sister (who does know about the situation and is being a bitch, but that's a whole other story) and a couple of my aunts who knit like crazy, who are being fairly pushy about it, on the "how am I supposed to know what color blanket to make" type of whining. It's just getting drat annoying and it got brought up at my grandfather's funeral two weeks ago and again at the luncheon after his burial this past friday. We don't want to be rude, but at this point it's looking like we'll have to be.

There are other colors beside blue and pink. Tell 'em to make a green blanket or something. There's no call for them to be that bitchy about it. Hell, half the crap I've seen in the stores for babies is green now.

CommanderApaul posted:

As for my wife's sister, I'm of the opinion that she can go gently caress herself after she flat out told my wife when she miscarried and called her up for some support, "I don't see why you're so upset, you didn't seem all that happy to be pregnant when you told us at Christmas."

Oh I know you didn't, bitch! :nyd:

It's been said in this thread before, but as the person supporting the person having the baby, one of your top jobs is to be an rear end in a top hat. Don't feel bad about telling all these people to go gently caress themselves with a railroad spike--your first concern is for your wife's wellbeing, not theirs. I have the sadbrains too and I am very grateful to have a partner who is happy to be the rear end in a top hat if I need him to be (not that I anticipate needing that, but it's nice to know the potential is there). It's your baby, bottom line, not theirs, and if you don't want to find out the sex it is zero percent of their business. If they bitch about not being "able" to buy it things, gently caress 'em, the kid doesn't need any more stuff anyway.

Jesus, people can be lovely. I'm sorry you guys are having to deal with that.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

I actually haven't gained any weight, to my surprise--in fact, I lost 5 lbs during my morning sickness. I'm only 12 weeks, and plan to ask my doctor about it when I go for my checkup tomorrow, but I shouldn't have anything to worry about, right? (I was already a fatty, that makes a difference, right?)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Is it too early to switch to a maternity bra? My breasts, when no in bra feel just fine, a bit tender, but nothing horrible. I'd say less than even PMS. But if I've been wearing a normal under wire bra all day, by the end they are killing me at the slightest touch!

I don't even care if it's too early or not, I've already ordered some and should be receiving the first one today (it is apparently really hard to find I-cup maternity bras, god drat my huge knockers to hell). But then, I started wearing some maternity clothes the week after I found out I was pregnant--even when I was skinny, I had a very rounded tummy (people would often ask if I was pregnant) so I find maternity things really comfortable and more flattering than regular fat-girl clothes. So YMMV.

Also, holy crap, I have a tiny demon inside me :black101: Maybe I'm gestating Spawn.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Incongruous posted:

Please post if you find any that you really like (or absolutely loathe!). I'm normally a 30H and am only 11 weeks pregnant but am already really worried about bras! I'm hoping I can keep wearing my pre-pregnancy bras for as long as possible with some hook extenders. Bra shopping - ugh!

Will do! Big-titty bra shopping is some bullshit. :smith: I'm already spilling out of the monster bras I own. I hope to give birth to this kid and maybe one more and then get a massive reduction.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

RedRockLobster posted:

I wish you had private messages Chicken McNobody. I moved to Columbus, MS recently and would love a preggo-buddy that is interested in subjects other than deer hunting and the bible.

I dislike both of those things! I'm in the SA Moms Facebook group though, you can look me up there and be facebook fwiends :3:

Tulip Candy posted:

If you had a choice on when you got pregnant, what made you aware that it was the right time?

I have a steady job (almost impossible to get fired here, woo), my husband will be finished with grad school in December (PLEASE GOD), we have about as much money as an anthropologist and an anthropologist/librarian are ever likely to have (not a lot, but it's not likely to get better), and after my dad's death last September we decided that we should at least let our moms have a grandchild before they kick it. I don't know if it's ever "the right time," but this was as good a time as any :shobon:

If it makes you feel better, when I taught introductory classes during grad school, the people who hands-down always did best were people who had raised families and were coming back to school. They were more dedicated, studied harder, and appreciated it more, plus they showed up more often than the kids in class. They usually ended up at or near the top of the class grades-wise.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Awesome Kristin posted:

My OB called and had me go give some blood so they can test the HCG levels. They did some tests 2 weeks ago so they should be able to tell if it's increasing or decreasing. Tomorrow morning we will have an answer. Miscarriage or early pregnancy.

I just didn't want to leave you guys hanging.

I'm hoping for the best for you.

If it makes you feel better, I was absolutely certain that I was like 2 months along when I got my first positive, but it was a really faint positive and they couldn't see anything on the ultrasound. Turns out I was like 3 weeks pregnant and had a tilted uterus to boot. Stupid body.

Don't give up hope :unsmith:

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

I...I'm confused :(

Anyhoo, for the last couple weeks I've been waking up in the middle of the night with pain deep in both buttocks, like in the hip joints. I already sleep with a body pillow between my knees to help with back pain...is there any way to alleviate this?

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

On friday I'll be 12 weeks and announcing on my facebook that I'm pregnant. Any funny, not sentimental, cheesy, or weepy statuses you can suggest for myself and for my husband?

Also, I am having an odd reaction to buying baby stuff. I know I will need a lot, but I haven't bought anything yet. Not even a book. I just have this feeling that if I start, I wont stop. I'm also really nervous about how much stuff there is and that I'll choose the wrong stuff, the wrong brand, the wrong fabric, etc, etc. Baby stuff seems like a huge minefield to navigate. Anyone else feel this way?

My husband made this and put it as his status:

People giggled.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Bahunter22 posted:

I feel like punching people in the mouth today. Apparently I annoyed my mother because I wasn't wearing a traditional maternity shirt. I annoyed my stepmother because I already had the book series she wanted to collect for "her princess". The icing on the cake came last night. My husband and I have not been looking forward to coming up with a name for our daughter. We figured it might be right up there with assembling Ikea furniture together, which if you're anything like us, is borderline murderous. We were actually very successful and stumbled upon a name that we both contributed to and we both really love. We decided to name our daughter Saria Rose. Unique but not too obscure in our opinion to damage the kid completely. Plus she has her own theme music. How bad rear end is that? Well I told my parents and they pissed all over it and decided that they were going to call her whatever they wanted. Seriously? I don't really give two shits if they don't like it but I have a serious problem with them taking a dump on her name before they even took it in. How do you all deal with that?

Edit: Congrats on Maxwell! Love the bling!

Our moms haven't been truly lovely about it, but they don't love the name I've picked out for our kid (we found out last Friday that it is a boy!). I want to name him Arthur. Arthur just "feels like" his name. Plus I've always been a big mythology buff, I don't know how anyone didn't see a name from myth or legend coming. :iiam: Both of them act like they've never heard of an Arthur. My mom wants me to at least give him her father's middle name (Benjamin). I don't mind Benjamin, but she knows I hated her father.

Meanwhile, my husband isn't wild about Arthur and has trouble thinking up a middle name for it. He wants to name him after my dad who died last year, but I really am not comfortable doing that. Ugh I really wanted a boy but we had a nice girl name picked out that everyone thought was beautiful :sigh: Oh well.

Anyway. Saria Rose is very pretty and if they can't deal they can just call her sweetie or baby or punkin or whatever. Or, you know, they can put their big girl panties on and call her by her designated name.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

God, this hip joint/ligament pain has got me at my wits' end. I can't sleep the whole night, and today my joints have started to feel really weak and as if they will give way when I walk. Any suggestions at all are welcome.

Here is what I have tried so far:
- Snoogle and/or body pillow between knees (does nothing)
- Tylenol (does nothing)
- Tylenol PM at night (I lie on one side even longer, thus intensifying the pain when I do wake up)
- Heating pad (works OK when I'm on it, but once I get up, effects vanish)
- Heat/massage pad (feels fantastic while I'm on it, but again, I get up and it hurts again)
- Massage by husband (HURTS)
- Yoga (feels good for about 5 minutes and then HURRRTS)
- Walking (joints feel like they're going to fail, I end up limping)
- Hypnosis (feels amazing, but effects don't last)
- Talking to my doctor (she suggested all of the above, all of which had already been tried)
- An hour or two of bouncing around on the inflatable exercise ball (awesome short-term relief but doesn't help too much with the sleeping)
- Warm baths (nice, but don't help)

Here is what I have considered trying:
- Buying a recliner to sleep in so I can sleep sitting semi-upright
- Prayer
- Animal sacrifice to Satan
- Chiropractic (which I'm really dubious about and can't really afford)
- Massage by a professional (but they're all booked up for a month! :( )

Please help me :smith:

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I have some joint pain, not as bad as yours though I'm at 23 weeks so it might get worse. The only comfortable spot is the recliner. I can't get my back supported and at the right angle any where else. You could also see about paying for your husband to take massage lessons, which would be cheaper than a professional.

I'm barely 21 weeks myself. :( Of course I was fat beforehand. Next time around I'm taking at least a year to get my physical poo poo together before getting preggernated.

Twatty Seahag posted:

Try a support belt. My daughter wasn't terribly fond of it but it lifted her weight off my hips enough to give me relief.

Also floating in a pool was amazing.

A friend has lent me one, so I will be trying this for sure! Sadly I don't have a good pool near me, nor a deep-enough tub, or I'd be in there all day :( just thinking about it kind of makes me go "aaahhhhhhh".

Oracle posted:

I always used an aerobed (or similar inflatable mattress that you could control the inflation level of with while lying in it) and a nest of pillows on the floor. You inflate it fully, throw your pillows on it, arrange them as it suits you then slowly let the air out until your hips feel good. Boom, perfectly adjusted firmness and pain-free sleep.

:aaaaa: I didn't think of this--I think we even have one at home somewhere...fantastic idea! Since the exercise ball helps so much I bet this will feel awesome.

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

Have you thought about trying to strengthen the muscles around the effected ligaments? Squats, leg lifts, lunges and the like could be helpful because having stronger muscles will help stabilize the joints since the ligaments don't seem to be doing a good job of it. However, I worry that the point at which this advice could help has passed. If your ligaments are simply too loose to withstand the pressure needed to build up the muscle, then you can't do this, but it was a thought.

This is a good point. I'm trying to strengthen those muscles now but drat it hurts! I agree with you, I may have missed the boat on this one. Definitely gonna keep it in mind for the next pregnancy--it will be yoga time all the time, also I will lift a weight.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

I called up my mother-in-law and asked her to pretty please bring me the airbed that my doofy husband had made her take back with her last time she visited. I mentioned that if this didn't work for the hip/back pain I might have to buy a recliner.

She arrived last night with the airbed AND a brand-new recliner. :3:

Slept in the recliner last night. For the first time in a month, I had no hip pain last night, nor do I have any yet today. :feelsgood: Gonna try the air mattress tonight, provided I get a spare moment to inflate it.

Gumby Orgy: My tatas had grown a cup size by 6 or 8 weeks. I really hope they don't grow much more; I already can't find a maternity/nursing bra that fits.

legbeard: I started feeling little pops and flutters sometime before 16 weeks, just a few every now and then. It just felt like a little fluttery sensation low down in the belly, or like gas bubbles. At 21 weeks it feels like I am gestating a jeet kune do student--feels more like getting thumped from the inside. Sadly I can't feel him from the outside yet, though.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Gumby Orgy posted:

I tried basically this exactly. When she said that she couldn't give me the time off because others had asked for that day off before me, I mentioned that I couldn't exactly change the fact that I'm pregnant. I asked if I could come in late and she said no. I then said that I am entitled to prenatal appointments through FMLA and she said that I have to talk to HR. I talked to my OB/GYN appointment manager today and found out that if I can't go to the October 17th on, it will be early November before I can get another one scheduled due to the length required for a first appointment.

Gaahhh, look at these fuckers, it makes me mad. Could she not talk to one of the people who has asked for that day off and see if they're willing to switch? Or, really, do anything that suggests "you are a valued employee" at all? :psyduck: What kind of repercussions might there be if you just called in sick that day?

Better watch this one closely, I'd bet they try to fire you.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

I started out fat AND I had a ton of gas-bloating, so I looked six or seven months pregnant immediately. (Like, IMMEDIATELY.) By the time the gas subsided I was actually showing a little bit so there was really no change. I just went ahead and got a bunch of maternity stuff as soon as I could; I feel like it looks cute on me and I can finally feel alright about my belly :3: Also, waaaayy more comfortable. I've only gained 5 pounds (I'm 22 wks) so I haven't grown out of anything, and even have a little more room to grow into most of it. Next purchase: Muumuus (I'm going full Dorothy Zbornak in this bitch)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

limegrnxj posted:

I don't understand all you people who are losing weight or not gaining very much. :( I'm at 26 weeks and I've gained about 20 pounds. I guess it's all in blood volume, I'm still wearing some pre-pregnancy pants and my boobs are the same. I'm really quite bummed about it. I'm eating healthy and running 3-4 days a week, why I so fat?

I think for me it is partly that I was already fatte and partly that my fetus is some kind of vaguely-human-shaped parasite--everything I take in, he seems to gobble up. I figure, I'm healthy and the baby's healthy so I give no fucks.

(I am kind of hoping that what happened to a cousin of mine will happen to me--she started out breastfeeding and the pounds melted off. She actually had to stop because the kid was just eating her up and she was losing weight too fast!)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Decided last night that after over a week of sleeping in the recliner I would try sleeping in my bed. (My poor husband is writing his master's thesis and is very stressed and in need of cuddles.) I made it until about 2 AM and when I woke up and tried to reposition myself it was as if my hips had just locked up--I could barely move them at all and when I tried it HURT. So back to the recliner for me. :( It's comfy, but am I stuck sleeping here until I have the baby? I wanted to try to get at least some bed time in before I have to abandon it for third-trimester heartburn and breathing difficulty, but it doesn't seem like this hip pain is ever going to end. The nausea ended, the exhaustion ended, why won't this hip pain end :argh:

I ordered this maternity belt in an effort to help during the day. My cousin lent me this one to try, but it was just so uncomfortable and the straps showed under all my clothes, and the belt part was too narrow and not supportive enough and bent in half under my belly. I hope I haven't wasted money here but I'm getting desperate.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Incongruous posted:

Those of you who have used the Bradley Method for childbirth:

Are the classes really necessary, or will I be okay if I get the book(s) and read really carefully? None of the Bradley classes offered in my area fit in with my schedule.

I've only read this Bradley book so far, but it seems to me that they forgot to include the, um, method. I can't judge them all by this one, but I'd think you'd need the classes. (And the one person in my area who intended to get certified is having a difficult pregnancy herself and won't be getting certified anytime soon, so I guess no Bradley method for me!)

I've ordered the Hypnobabies self-study course. Anyone have experience with it?

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Andale!Andale! posted:

http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990118

Pregnancy Spanx do exist.

God help me, I'm considering buying these. The recliner appears to have become ineffective. This is the second day in a row that I've woken up in intense pain. I just want to cry :(

Next on the list to try: chiropractic. I don't have much faith, but I'm starting to get that "nesting" feeling and I can't loving nest because it hurts to move. Something has to work!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

limegrnxj posted:

Marge, that is awesome! Super cute.

Chicken, I feel the same way. By the end of the day, I am in tears, everything hurts so much. And I'm still 90 days away from a due date and I can't sleep and stupid Tylenol is no help. Wish I had advice, but I only have sympathy. :(

Thank you. I really hate whining about it so much but jeez it hurts.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Gumby Orgy posted:

My CNM's nurse is calling me in some Zofran. She also made me feel like I was wasting her time by saying that all my symptoms are early pregnancy symptoms and "completely normal". :bang:

Am I really just insane? Why are medical professionals treating me like that?

Is this what I can expect as a pregnant lady? Are people just going to treat me like I'm crazy?

Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? What can I do to make them see this from my perspective? I'm not being treated all that great by the people that are supposed to help me.

I say this as the daughter of a nurse who basically grew up in and around hospitals and clinics: A LOT of doctors and nurses are lazy assholes. They seem to get even lazier and assholier when they deal with pregnant women. You are making them do their job and they resent it. (My personal hypothesis is that some of it goes back to the old "If you didn't wanna deal with being pregnant, you shouldn't have opened your legs!" attitude, and most of it is just that dealing with sick people all day grinds you down and if you're already kind of an rear end in a top hat it just exacerbates it.) You are perfectly justified in seeking help for not being able to hold down food. You may need to shop around for a different clinic--there are nice ones out there.

MoCookies posted:

I'm doing Hypnobabies, too. I'm a skeptic when it comes to psuedo-science, but I can honestly say that Hypnobabies is far less hokey than I was expecting at first. The zoning out during practice is awesome, and has been ideal for helping me get back to sleep after getting up to pee for the millionth time during the night. One of the tracks we listen to (my husband too) is all positive affirmations, which has turned out to be one of my favorite things when I'm having a rough day.

My Hypnobabies self-study course should be arriving today or tomorrow! I respond really well to guided meditation and hypnosis, so I think this will help a lot. I cannot wait to start.

Chicken McNobody fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 30, 2011

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

It seems that my clinic has you drink a 16-oz Coke or Sprite for your glucose test, instead of the glucose drink most people use. Is this something anyone else had to do? (Not complaining, from what I hear the weird liquid tastes nasty.)

On constipation: My mom says that she suspected she was pregnant with me when she began having persistent diarrhea and apparently I take after her. Have not had the first problem with constipation.

Twatty Seahag posted:

Don't worry, your constipation issues will be solved when you start pushing during delivery.
Nooooo don't remind me :smith: I just know I'm gonna poop everywhere.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

The Young Marge posted:

Re: cervical dilation before you go into labor - ignore it! It means nothing! You can totally go from zero to baby in a few hours, or you can walk around at 4cm for weeks. Many doctors and midwives don't even perform internal examinations, and there's definitely no way to predict labor based on dilation.

Word. I have a cousin who's given birth to 4 children (3 vaginally, the last was a C-section because he was transverse and wouldn't move). She dilates verrrrrry slowwwwwwly over a period of days/weeks up until about 5cm, then her vagina gapes like a cavern and out shoots a baby in under an hour. (I know this because she calls me about once a week to "check on me", i.e., tell me all 4 birth stories for the umpteenth time :) )

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

I've never felt my mood to be really affected by the weather or seasons, but for the last two days it's been kind of gray and ugly outside and I've been super morose. Is this something that pregnancy has affected for anyone else? (Maybe it's just coincidence--the last two days I have also started leaking tiny pin-droplets of colostrum so maybe I'm just being slammed with hormones?)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Gumby Orgy posted:

Please tell me about getting a new eyeglass prescription while pregnant. Is it really that much of an issue? How many appointments do you have to go to? How much do eyes change post-pregnancy?

I would like to know more about this too--I desperately need new, unscratched lenses but am worried that my eyes will warp up and make the lenses useless after the birth. (And the stupid doctor won't make them just give me new lenses that fit in my existing frames unless I have a whole new eye exam :argh:)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

If this isn't cool I will edit it out--I don't want to :can: in this thread--but if anyone would like to see what we preggos in Mississippi are having to deal with right now, forums user That drat Satyr has made a thread about the "personhood amendment" we get to vote on next month, o joy.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

The Young Marge posted:

Is anyone else keeping the actual birth private? I think I'd lose my mind if there were a bunch of people there watching as I deliver my kid, and can't imagine why anyone would want that. That's one of the reasons I chose a birth center over a hospital, though (I'm lucky enough to have that choice). People say you end up not caring, but I dont know about that. I think I'll have an easier time if I feel "safe" and have some privacy in a more comfortable setting.

I want just me, the doctor and whatever nurse she needs, and my husband in the room. I wanted my mom to be there but she had both me and my brother via C-section and is a little freaked out about watching me go through a vaginal birth. I am super private and want as few people as possible seeing my business--the more people in the room, the more I'll tense up and the less I'll be able to concentrate on relaxing.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I'm struggling with some feelings right now and I'd really like to know if I'm being stupid or not.

The problem is people giving me things. My best friend is giving me a bunch of her old baby clothes. She's had three boys and so has plenty to give. But she also bought me some things from a yard sale in her neighborhood. A swing thing, a vibrating bouncy chair, and a bathtime baby washer thing. They all looked a bit ratty and weren't anything all in the style I would want to get. I told her thank you of course, and I'm going to take all of it, but it really started getting me down.

Then another friend messaged me out of nowhere and said she had stuff for me without me even asking her. She said "You can look through it and keep what you want and then give the rest to Goodwill." I feel like she's just trying to slough the stuff off on me to clean out her closet.

People are giving me things and it's not that I don't appreciate it, but if I'm given everything, I can't give my kid anything myself. I want to pick things out for my first born. Things that aren't hand me downs. But now I have a bouncy chair and it would be wasteful and also look like I'm ungrateful if I went and got one more my style and brand new.

It's the one thing I can do for my kid right now, buy the things he's going to need and I just feel like if people are giving me stuff, I don't get to do that. I don't get to provide for my baby.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything people are doing and giving me, but I want to do things to. I want to be his provider. I want to get my first born nice new stuff, not hand me downs. We're not poor, we can afford all the stuff he needs, but it would be wasteful to go get it now that someone else has given me a second hand thing from a yard sale.

I became so upset about this I actually cried my eyes out telling my husband about how I feel.

Another thing that makes me feel so completely and utterly guilty is that I am more disappointed I'm having a boy then I thought I would be. I really wanted a girl because I just don't understand boys. I don't get it. I'm so worried that I wont be able to bond with my child because I wont get him. I also really, really hate all the stuff they have for boys. It's all full of robots and cars and planes and I hate it all. It's all so generic and crappy and ugly and I hate it so now I don't like anything I CAN get for my kid and it's just become this huge cycle of depression, guilt, and annoyance.

Am I being ridiculous?

I kind of feel the same way--everything we have for our kid is second-hand, given to us or bought at yard sales or consignment stores. I wanted to at least be able to give him a nice new crib, but now we have a lead on a free crib so that's gone too. I'm trying to content myself with writing him letters, which I hope to compile into a little book I can give him when he knocks someone up :3

Have you looked at anything with dinosaurs on it? I hate most of the baby boy stuff I see and down here it's mostly football crap, but there are some ADORABLE things decorated with dinosaurs. (I may be biased because about two-thirds of the stuff I've picked out has dinosaurs and is adorable.)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Doom Catcher posted:

In other news, after the past month of bitching to myself I finally admitted to my midwife how much effin pain I am in and she talks to me about Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction. So yeah... Off to find a belly band of some kind. Anyone have a favorite for dealing with this ridiculous level of pain and inability to walk?

Wonder if this is what I have. I tell my docs about my pain and ask if there's anything I can do about it, and they pretty much say "no, it's just going to get worse."

I sleep in a recliner; that helps some. I bought one of these, and it helps some with being able to walk. Rolling around and doing pelvic tilts on an exercise ball helps. If you have access to a pool or a really deep bathtub, floating might help; my tub sucks and I can't sit in it without pain, but a nice warm shower spray aimed at my back and hips helps. Backrubs don't help me, but sitting on one of those vibrating chair-covers does. Be sure to stretch a little every time you get out of your chair. I have to stand up and just wait a minute until my hips are straightened out.

And here's one more really weird thing that feels AMAZING: My husband was being goofy one night and just started to drum on my butt with his fists and I don't know why but it feels SO GOOD. The pain just melted away. Now I make him do it every night, I get pain relief and he gets an arm workout :v:

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

American Jello posted:

Do any of y'all use a 'pregnancy pillow'? Is there a brand you swear by or stay away from? Do you just use a few regular body pillows? These things are like $50 and up so if they're a total waste then I may just get her a bunch of pillows. Something like this:

I have a regular Snoogle, it sucks, I sleep in a chair. :/ Gonna try restuffing it and see if I can get it to give some support.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Kitiara posted:

You're pregnant!!

Congratulations!! I bet that was a shock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

MoCookies posted:

edit: Just wanted to edit and say that I'm being self-indulgent and lazy as gently caress. I have no idea how you other ladies are working AND dealing with being pregnant. My best friend is 28 weeks and working 2 jobs, and I can't figure out where she gets the energy. I get worn out (and cranky) after about an hour of doing anything "in public" and I can't get back to my house quick enough for a nice cup of tea and an hour or two dicking around on the internet in peace and quiet. Babies R Us in particular stresses me out and makes me want to stab people, and then go home to have a root beer float.

I'm a web designer at a library and I've barely done any work for the last week because I am just exhausted. I feel pretty pathetic about it because I literally sit all day long. I've not finished a Hypnobabies session in the last week because I fall asleep ten minutes in. No energy whatsoever. Been hoping the whole "nesting" thing will set in soon so I at least have some motivation.

On the bright side, my mom-in-law knows a lady who worked at a daycare that recently closed and got rid of all its stuff. She scored two cribs, a high chair, a bunch of toys and equipment and clothes--all for free! :woop: