Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I'm also 8 weeks pregnant and it looks like we're having twins (fraternal). We've told our parents and my brother, but we're keeping it from everyone else until we're out of the first trimester. We are very private people who don't really like sympathy, so we wouldn't want to deal with that if anything happened to one or both of the twins.

I'm still very hesitant in my excited. My husband and I tried to get pregnant for a year and a half, including fertility treatments, and then I had to have surgery when I was 4 weeks pregnant (we found out I was pregnant while in the ER) because I had an ovarian torsion and a burst cyst that caused me so much internal bleeding that I lost 70% of my blood and needed three transfusions. So yes, we're still being very cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I have a nausea related question, but I'll briefly fill in the background info.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant. At 4 weeks I had to have surgery because I had an ovarian torsion caused by a cyst which then ruptured, causing me to bleed internally. I lost 70% of my blood, but everything is fine now. We weren't sure if the pregnancy would survive. I had many follow-up appointments with my OB due to the surgery and we found out we were having twins. Then we found out one of the twins stopped growing at 6.5 weeks. As I was recovering from the blood loss related to my surgery, I got morning sickness. It was the throw up all day, everything you eat or drink, then dry heave when there is nothing left until you pass out on the bathroom floor type of morning sickness. They gave me Zofran for it, which felt like a gift from god since it let me stop puking.

12 weeks came and went and I remained on Zofran. I tried a day without it around 14 weeks but was still throwing up constantly. Around 15 weeks it was greatly alleviated, though I was very prone to nausea and the occasional vomit. At 16 weeks I thought I was ok, but when my husband and I had to travel, I needed to throw up on the plane a few times. The flight home was fine, though around 18 weeks I threw up again. I am still very prone to nausea. It gets worse in the car or if I'm hungry or if I smell something I can't tolerate (cigarettes, random foods, certain soaps), but there is a nearly constant thrum of nausea and the occasional dry heave. Since it hasn't abated at 20 weeks, does this seem like something that will continue throughout the pregnancy? I haven't thrown up recently, and it's completely manageable, but I am curious if anyone else has any idea what I can expect.

TL;DR - I'm 20 weeks and still nauseous after having rather bad morning sickness. Can I expect to be nauseous throughout the rest of the pregnancy?

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Chicken McNobody posted:

A lot of stuff that sounds very painful :(

This might be absolutely horrible advice, so please don't listen to me without talking to a doctor about it. However, I'll offer it anyway (and explain why I'm offering potentially horrible advice).

Have you thought about trying to strengthen the muscles around the effected ligaments? Squats, leg lifts, lunges and the like could be helpful because having stronger muscles will help stabilize the joints since the ligaments don't seem to be doing a good job of it. However, I worry that the point at which this advice could help has passed. If your ligaments are simply too loose to withstand the pressure needed to build up the muscle, then you can't do this, but it was a thought.

The reason I am suggesting this is that I severely injured my shoulder when I was a child and have been dealing with it ever since. I broke it and yanked the ligaments. The break healed fine, but the ligaments are permanently loose. The looseness causes a lot of pain and my shoulder could someday fall out of the socket. However, if I keep the joint strong by lifting weights, I have no pain and there is no risk of it falling out of the socket. It means that shoulder relies on the muscles instead of the ligaments to hold it in place, so I have to be sure to keep it strong and not lose too much muscle or else the pain starts up again and I can see and feel it slipping around in the socket. Knowing that my ligaments would get looser during pregnancy made me very attentive to keeping my muscles in my problem areas strong (I have various issues with my legs as well, but it's not related to the ligaments being loose).

So, as I said, this could be a horrible idea for you, but since keeping my shoulder strong has helped me both before and during pregnancy, I was hoping the same could be true for you.

Also, buying a recliner to sleep in sounds like a really good idea.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I'm so sorry JBark. That's just horrible :(

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

FretforyourLatte posted:

I'm 37 weeks now and this kiddo is still breech. She is the most stubborn thing. I'm scheduled for an ECV on Thursday morning to try and get her to flip. Honestly I'm not thrilled about it - of course I want to do what I can to avoid a C-section but from what I gather, the ECV can be quite unpleasant and take a long time, and only has about a 50/50 chance of even being successful. Has anyone else had this procedure done? If so how bad was it and did it work for you?

I had an ECV done in November. The procedure itself took no more than five minutes (and the doctor told me they wouldn't go longer than that because if the baby won't move, the baby won't move and trying longer won't change that). However, including the setup of the procedure, it took a while, but it was mostly just waiting around (they did a fetal non-stress test before and after the procedure and they did a quick ultrasound before the procedure to make sure there was enough amniotic fluid). My ECV failed (his butt would move somewhat but his head wouldn't budge). They tried three times in those five minutes and tried various ways of moving him. I don't know what it would have been like if it was successful, but it was ungodly painful and I was sore for days after where they had pressed. I would imagine it wouldn't have hurt so much if it had been successful since the pressure wouldn't have been in the same places constantly, but I have no way of knowing if that's true. Personally, I'd do it again in a heartbeat because I know I did everything I could to have a natural birth, which was something I really really wanted. Also, five minutes of horrible pain seems bad at the time, but what do those five minutes matter in the long run? That's how I think of it, anyway. So, that was my thinking and my experience; yours might be completely different. I ended up giving birth via c-section two days following the procedure and it turned out he was all tangled up in his umbilical cord which I was told could be why he couldn't turn. For the record, I had tried some spinning babies techniques to no avail.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Stairs posted:

I hope this is the right thread, if not please let me know. I was wondering if anyone here had had issues with ovarian cysts while pregnant? I'm 12 weeks along now, and last week as I was driving to pick up my husband I had excruciating pains in my lower left abdomen. This is my 4th pregnancy and I was seriously worried I was having a miscarriage (never had one before, I'm just in my 30's and apparently the risk goes up.)

I got to the ER and they told me the baby was fine, and that I had a possibly ruptured ovarian cyst on my left side. They gave me lortab (didn't even know that was possible) and told me it would go away on it's own. Well it hasn't really stopped hurting, and now my right side hurts a little too...

Anyone with experience with this, is my kid okay cooking with all this cysty-ness going on? If you've had bad or good experiences I think I need to know both. Doctors aside, it's been my experience that often times mothers know better.

Also Bamzilla: Yay! We're August birth buddies!

I had a large ovarian cyst that twisted my ovary and then ruptured when I was four weeks pregnant. I had massive internal bleeding and nearly died (I lost 70% of my blood and needed three transfusions). However my situation was different from yours in many ways, one of which was that I went from zero to excruciating pain in about 30 minutes, at which point my husband and I rushed to the ER and I had emergency surgery the next morning (I was lucky in that the cyst ruptured while I was in the hospital, since that was when things really went downhill). All that being said, I now have a two month old little boy who is healthy as can be, so it turned out fine in the end, even though I started the pregnancy with twins. We lost one at 6.5 weeks, but that could have been from anything, they don't know if it was associated with the surgery or not since from what I've read it isn't uncommon.

I don't want to sound alarmist, but that was my experience. Though, I should also say that my OBGYNs (I had two, one of which did the laparoscopic surgery) had only seen my situation once before in twenty years of practicing medicine.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I have a question about boogers. Max's breathing seems a bit labored, like there are dried boogers in there. I've tried using the bulb, but it doesn't seem to clear dried boogers out very well. He's not turning blue or even seems in distress, but hearing him breath while he sleeps, I can tell there's something in there. Suggestions?

We use saline nose drops and a Nosefrida. Works like a charm every time.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

CravingSolace posted:

One thing I'm wondering about though, is that I haven't started leaking any colostrum. Do some women not start leaking until after the birth?

I never leaked any colostrum before giving birth and had no problems breastfeeding. My son is nearly 10 months old and we're still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

CravingSolace posted:

I'm still taking the prenatals and yeah, he has lots of wet diapers. I just hate when he eats for an hour and then screams when I'm unable to produce anymore. I caved and bought formula to give him when I'm running on empty until I can get my supply where it needs to be. I feel really, really horrible about it. :(

My son would eat for a minimum of one hour as a newborn and frequently longer (and no matter how long he nursed for, he would want to eat again within the hour). I worried that he wasn't getting enough sometimes when I would try to hand express and nothing would come out (plus I felt empty), but he continued to have wet diapers and grew well. I guess my point is, you may think you are empty when you are not and as long as his growth is fine, don't worry about how long he nurses for. If you need to give him formula then do, but if he is growing fine then what's the need?