Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I am about halfway thru the first trimester and am already dying of heartburn and miscarriage anxiety. Gonna pick up some Zantec for the first problem tomorrow, the second one is just a matter of playing the waiting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Angelwolf posted:

So despite the HCG levels going up, down, up, down, up and down, they've now gone down to the point where we're getting negative pregnancy tests.

It's sad news, but at least we've now got a final answer. Also, we might just start trying for real now.

I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds like a frustrating couple of weeks. Good luck in the trying if that's what y'all decide to do, and have some fun while you're at it.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

A Game of Chess posted:

Thanks everyone!! It was good news. Measuring 8w1d, heartbeat 166BPM, and has all of its limb buds. I’m super relieved and very grateful for everyone who responded.

I'm so glad to hear it!! I am 10 weeks today and was petrified to go to our dating scan last week but it was similarly fine. Still worried there will be no HB on the nuchal scan in a few weeks. Not sure the fear will ever go away entirely.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I am 16 weeks along and my husband convinced me (after listening to my bitching about hip pain for the hundredth time) that I am pregnant "enough" to get one of those giant, dumb pregnancy pillows that curl around your back and through your legs.

GAME CHANGER! I am curled up in it now and may never leave.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
If you have insurance, I was able to get some prescribed ones that were cheaper than OTC and didn't upset my stomach.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
My heart goes out to you guys. We tried seriously for about 10 months (tracking ovulation) with femara the last 4 of those months. It is emotionally exhausting. There were a few months I was *sure* I was knocked up, but no dice. Symptom spotting can drive you batty. I found first response to be pretty reliable but if your ovulation date is off by a few days, it might still be too early to tell. I'm not sure if you guys are tracking that with OPKs? I never had reliable cycles anyway but I've heard stories about the stress of trying to convince messing with cycles.

Honestly, if I could go back, I would knock off the obsessive testing around my cycle due date because then once I found out it was positive I just got to sit on my hands and wait until the 8 week appointment and hope I didn't miscarry. A lot of hurry up and wait, if that makes any sense. Next time we do this I am waiting a good week after my expected period before messing around with testing 2x/day and squinting at the negative tests seeing ghosts.

I was getting to the end of my rope and then we found out I was pregnant. 22 weeks along now. If this month ends up a bust (fingers crossed for good news!) and you have been actively trying 6+ months, don't hesitate to go see an OB/GYN. Most will have you be actively trying for at least 6 months before they will start to investigate further. Good luck!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

RabbitMage posted:

Well, that was short-lived.

In an ideal world we'd like to chill, screw, and see what happens. But neither of us produce sperm, so we're using a frind as a donor, which means tracking cycles and trying to plan aroun his schedule, whic means we only get one or two chances per cycle anyway.

Well. Good luck everyone.

That definitely makes timing a lot more difficult but all it takes is one or two well timed "chances" to stick. Try not to get too down about the process. I would def meet with an OB who might be able to help with the timing and process of the insemination in addition to confirming the egg release and resulting hormonal response are normal.

A lot of people consider doing IUI which might be a good option for you and your partner? It takes a lot of the guess work out of everything but if your insurance doesn't cover infertility, you are looking at some amount out of pocket. I'm also not sure how sample collection would go since we didn't end up needing to do it this time around but I imagine google might know more.

I found a lot of support (believe it or not) on the Babycenter community board titled "Actively Trying: The Next Level". They have good mods and people are generally well-informed and in a similar situation.

Good luck!!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
My mom will be coming to help out with cooking and cleaning and baby stuff for the first week or two after birth but not staying overnight since they live relatively close by (and I value alone time). If my in-laws were here I'm pretty sure we would end up drawing blood. I love them very much but they are certainly not a calming presence in my life...or my husband's. He would be the one with claws out for sure. I would put my foot down if it became a thing for sure.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I wish there were a better way to express via forums post how sorry I am to hear you guys are going through that trauma. Take care of yourselves.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Koivunen posted:

I’ve got a cluster of painful grapes between my cheeks.

No answers for you but we are around the same point along and my heart goes out to you! Hope you find some relief soon.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Costco brand gummies plus an iron pill fits the requirements. I also took the prescribed ones because it was $5/month for me and they didn't make me nauseous.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I got one around 28 weeks and immediately scheduled another one in a month and a half after. It left me a little sore the next day but even a few weeks later I have less back and hip pain. The massage lady gave me a few tips for spots to work out with a tennis ball between appointments which has been very helpful (I can do my hip spots and my husband helps on my back). Honestly the best part was the cushion contraption they had that allowed me to lay on my stomach for most of the time. :sun:

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Glad everything turned out alright! I think it's 37 weeks they would just let it happen? Hopefully yours stays in there and bakes for a few more weeks at least.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Any tips for hip pain/SPD? I'm 34 weeks and I'm dying. I moved into the spare room over the last few nights because between my pillow fort and my groaning when rolling over in bed and/or getting up to use the bathroom, I felt bad keeping my husband up. Our guest mattress is a little softer which helps as well. But it's honestly just getting worse with no sign of stopping. Waaaahhhh. 6 weeks feels like such a long time and also the blink of an eye. Definitely done with feeling like my life is stuck in this limbo until little girl decides to show her face.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Yeah, at this point if I tried to do a lunge like in the image preview I'm pretty sure I would hit the floor. :( Clicking into the video I bet I would be able to do a lot of the exercises though, so it's nice to have another option for cardio. I am thankful to be able to walk without too much trouble so long as I go slowly, so that has been the bulk of my exercise. My doctor gave me some ideas for PT stuff to strengthen the muscles around my pelvis to help hold the bones in place. General advice has been trying not to move one half of the pelvis without also moving the other.

Might pull up our foam topper from storage - we were given it from a friend moving out of town and on top of the pillow top mattress we have it is comically soft...I'm worried it might make turning it bed more difficult though but I'm willing to give it a shot!

Next step would be an SI belt. I have one that sits higher to help support some of the belly weight when I'm cleaning but I've heard good things about a proper SI belt. It feels silly to shell out more money for 5 weeks of pain though, so we will see.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Well, I ordered one of those small wedge pillows to shove under your belly when you are laying on your side and tried it out last night in conjunction with my big C shaped pregnancy pillow. I woke up with the least pain I've had in at least a month or so! I think I must have been twisting my hips in my sleep so that my belly would rest on the bed? Anyway, still a little slow to start this morning but feel like a whole new person. Thought I'd pass this along in case anyone was lurking and having issues. Going to add in a foam topper tonight as well for maximum comfort!!

marchantia fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 9, 2019

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I will have one at 36 weeks for sure, but just a handheld one, not anything with attempts to measure the baby in advance. Ultrasound weight estimates are really inaccurate according to my doctor and can be off 1-2 lbs in either direction so they don't regularly do them. Handheld one will be to check if she's turned head down at 36 weeks.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Bring something to do while you wait! The needle parts are pretty quick thankfully since they don't need a ton of blood each time. I brought knitting to work on and lots of podcasts to listen to in the downtime. I'm not too bad with needles, but I just try not to look when they do it. It really wasn't too bad, and I didn't end up having GD so that was also great.

I had a friend who failed the first two draws so while it sucked that she had to deal with GD at least she didn't have to stay for the whole test?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I'm 37 weeks, last day at work will be this Friday, induction scheduled 5/12. Let's gooooo

marchantia fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 1, 2019

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We had our kid yesterday and everyone is doing well. I was induced for high BP suddenly at my 38 week appointment and am still on a mag drip until 24 hrs after birth (11 pm tonight). Thankfully I'm tolerating it well, but it's been nearly 48 hrs since I've eaten anything at this point. After a bit of uncontrollable sobbing (me, because of her) after a very long labor moving to the postpartum floor at 2 AM, we are doing alright. I'm trying to catch sleep when I can, but hourly checks due to the magnesium makes that tricky. Will be glad to be done with that.

Breastfeeding seems to be going well (she peed so she's getting some colostrum at least) but my nipples are apparently pretty sensitive. It's been getting a little better over time as my brain starts to figure out that it isn't an emergency pain to freak out about. Still feels like my soul is being sucked out my nips. Have been diligent in lubing up and keeping the chafe guards on for now.

After all our infertility struggles I can't believe we finally have this baby. Very happy but overwhelmed with feelings...which seems to be not unexpected.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We also use baby tracker mostly for my husband and I to know when she last ate or was changed when we have trouble remembering in the midst of the sleep deprivation. We do shifts sometimes so it's nice to just be able to look and see what the last person did instead of relying on memory. You can link multiple people up the app which is nice. I paid for the graphs and stuff with Google survey credit but my husband just uses it for entry.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 24, 2019

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I told my family and close friends right away. I was convinced I would miscarry and I decided that if I would share with someone that I miscarried, I would share that I was pregnant right away. Obviously a very personal choice, but it was nice to have people to talk to outside of my husband.

I had a lot of issues with my body not feeling like my own when I was pregnant. That probably factored into us not breastfeeding as well. We are a few weeks postpartum, am on lorazepam, and I'm feeling like myself again for the first time in a long time, despite the crushing sleep deprivation.

Take care of yourself, don't hesitate to get the help you need.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I also had a second degree tear! If it's any consolation, mine healed up pretty quickly without too much pain as long as I was diligent about ibuprofen after I got out of the hospital. I had a pretty gnarly tear up one side of my labia and an "abrasion" on the other side (seriously kid, wtf) that were much more painful to heal. I'm a month out and while I can still feel the stitches in my labial tear with my fingers (still hoping they dissolve soon!), the perenial tear seems to be all healed up. None of them burn anymore when I pee! Hurrah!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I sobbed and sobbed when we made the decision stop breastfeeding and give our kid formula. It felt like I was failing her. With some time and sleep (sleep is so important!!) I realized that "fed is best" is absolutely true. I do think there are benefits from breastfeeding you don't get with formula, but the benefits can be overblown. Please don't beat yourself up!! Here is a 538 article discussing data surrounding breastfeeding vs formula that I found helpful.

Your kid is gonna be fine if you end up being able to exclusively breastfeed, if you have to supplement with formula, or if you have to feed formula exclusively. You are doing a great job!! This whole thing gets easier, I promise!

marchantia fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 11, 2019

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Doctor Malaver posted:

So he napped well until he was 6 weeks old and then started requiring carrying?

She sometimes falls asleep on her own if it's late at night. Other times we have to carry her and she falls asleep and we put her to bed. We try that a lot during day too but the result is that she wakes up in 5 minutes.

I heard so many times that we're so lucky to have peaceful nights, that I'm reluctant about sleep during day. If she starts sleeping from 3 to 4 pm, maybe she'll be awake from 3 to 4 am.

I don't even know what I'm asking about. Some magic trick to keep the baby awake but occupied during the day? The thought of weeks/months/years of entertaining and carrying the baby for ~14 hours a day is making me depressed. How do people decide to have a second child, or more?

Sorry for the rant. I'm aware that we have it better than many parents.

Hey, sorry you are having a rough time. Our kid was the same for naps the first few months. It sucked. She started being able to take some naps in the crib after 3 months and it is a game changer. That's not much help before then though. Have you tried wearing him in a carrier? It's still a hassle but you have both hands free. We love our beco.

It won't be years. I promise. It will get better. It's much easier to occupy babies who have an interest in the world around them. Before they sort of wake up to the world around them, they just want comfort. It's difficult. Sending my love.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I ordered a memory foam mattress topper and am waiting for it to come in. Hopefully it helps. I’ve been a mess the past few days.

For me I also ended up needing a small wedge pillow under my belly, then the pregnancy pillow between my legs and supporting my back. I also got better at making an effort to use my arms to adjust position in bed and not pull my knees apart during the day (getting in and out of cars, etc). Honestly though it was really really painful until I gave birth and I lost a ton of sleep even with all this pillow fort effort.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I think you're a nurse so you prob know this already, but usually if you barely fail the one hr test, you usually pass the 3 hr test. 1 hr not diagnostic, scoops up a lot of people who don't actually end up having GD. Sending good thoughts your way!! Hopefully you'll only need to do the modified diet thru the 3 hr testing.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

boquiabierta posted:

I'm 32 weeks and I've been having a lot of pelvic and groin pain and I don't know if it's normal. I don't remember if I posted about it in here before. It's vaguely located, hard to describe, feels kind of like my whole pelvis is really sore. It comes with movement primarily and is fine at rest. But it hurts a ton to move my legs, like, at all, whether it's turning over in bed, getting up and walking, getting into a car, etc. Sometimes it kind of radiates down the inside of my thighs. Sometimes it feels like it's actually my vulva that's sore, or right inside my vulva.

I had this really bad - it sounds like SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction). It's pretty common and normal but sucks A LOT. The biggest thing that helped me was sleeping with a pillow between my knees (I had a big C shaped pregnancy pillow) and a small wedge pillow under my belly so the weight of my belly wasn't pulling my hips weird. Try to train yourself to use the power of your arms to help you turn over in bed (I would pull myself up to sitting, adjust my hips/legs, then go back down) and keep your knees together getting in and out of cars and other similar movements. I had an epidural so I can't say much about it during labor but it definitely went away right after birth. It sucked though and always hurt a little bit (up to a lot) doing anything.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 3, 2019

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We sleep trained! Anti-sleep training army can yell at me all they want, I did my research and feel more than comfortable with my decision.

I sleep trained at 3.5 months, bought Dr. Ferbers book and gave it a go. She took to it quickly and has been sleeping 7-7 the vast majority of days with a dreamfeed when I go to bed at 10 since maybe 4 months or so (she's almost 7 months now)? I kept an additional night feed when I started around 2-3am that she dropped on her own over time. I didn't want to cosleep because of the increased SIDS/SUID risk, minute as it may have been. A huge part of getting bedtime to work is getting wake windows during the day to be age appropriate.

As far as resources, I thought Dr. Ferber's book was well reasoned and had a lot of background information about infant and child sleep cycles. As far as nitty gritty stuff I joined a FB group called "Respectful Sleep Training/Learning" that was very helpful in figuring out a nap schedule. They have a lot of files you can read and are helpful for troubleshooting schedule issues. They support sleep training at every age, which I really can't get on board with, but you can use your own judgement on that.

Happy to discuss further in PM if you are uncomfortable discussing it here.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

obi_ant posted:

Would this be the proper thread to ask about sleep training? My wife is about to go work in a month and we've been trying to sleep train our little 6 month old for the past two weeks and it seems to be going nowhere. This is our basic outline of what we've been trying...

1. Baby gets one boob
2. Bath time (usually 10-15 minutes for her to play and get clean)
3. Gets dressed
4. Mom reads her a book or two
5. Lights are dimmed and she is given 1 or both boobs
6. When she is semi-asleep, I pick her up and move her into another room
?. We watch her on a baby monitor

I would move the full feeding to the beginning of the bedtime, before bath. Boob, bath, books, bed. She should be going into the crib fully awake. Drowsy or farther can cause confusion/distress when they wake up and are like... WHAT GIVES this isn't mama's nice warm lap?? We did progressive checks based on ferber's schedule in his book, but there was no picking up the baby in the check. The check isn't to get the baby to stop crying, but rather to reassure them that you are still around. I would go in, rub her back or stomach and say some soothing words. Checks are less than a minute.

Other things to consider - Is the room she sleeps in dark dark? We put tinfoil over the windows behind darkening curtains. And more importantly, what does her daytime schedule look like napwise? Babies that are either overtired or undertired at bedtime have a lot harder time going down.

Another source worth looking at is Taking Cara Babies. Very hand holdy but it has a lot of validation and troubleshooting. I never paid but follow her IG and blog that has lots of good info.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

2DEG posted:

I swear, people get so caught up in how they think it should be done that when someone says they did it differently, it's like a personal insult. I'm actually getting poo poo from my mom/MIL from the other end because we didn't sleep train and still nurse my 17 mo to sleep. It's the only thing close to an off-switch the kid has, and has always been the path of least resistance. He can fall asleep on his own...if one of us is also there, and also it take like 30 min to an hour. But 10-15 min on the boob and he's out. IDGAF because he sleeps through the night (well, mostly, to like 4 or 5 am, and then another hour or so after that) and most days it's the only snuggle time I get dammit.

Do what works and keeps you sane, gently caress the haters.

Hard agree. Honestly that sounds delightful - my kid was never snuggly around bedtime, so it wasn't as difficult a transition to go from her thrashing around in my arms to thrashing around in the crib before bed. That said, she could probably do the 10pm dreamfeed now but I'm going to keep doing that until she refuses it because I love the sleepy snuggles I get and she falls asleep on me afterwards before putting her back down to sleep.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I have a 8 month old and really don't remember the details of the hospital stay already. I thought it was a haha joking thing but no, not really. I can tell you what happened but everything is blurry and the emotions are all dulled.

As for my story (I obsessively read these before I delivered) I was induced at 38 weeks for pre-e and right away was put on meds where I couldn't walk around. I was induced overnight (read, no sleep and hourly checks for pre-e stuff) and contractions started up in the morning. I got an early epidural and just sat around for most of the day. Around 9-10pm the doctor came in to see how I felt about a C section and I was like... you're the doctor! But the nurse, bless her, came with a peanut ball and got baby to flip around and she flew out in a half hour or so after that. Pushing was not hard, but a little painful even with the epidural. Very much the mindset of...this is the only way to end this!! I had second degree tears toward my butt and abrasions on my labia. It sucked but was tolerable. Baby came out screaming and had no issues, thank goodness.

What I wasn't prepared for was the rush of emotions after birth. I was exhausted and already sleep deprived going into labor and this baby wouldn't stop screaming and I couldn't get out of bed and nursing HURT. I remember just sobbing and holding my baby as they wheeled me to the postpartum wing. The first 24 hrs were probably the hardest hours of my life. I was prepared for things to be challenging but I wasn't prepared for what it was. The pre-e really complicated everything since I couldn't walk, eat, or drink (was on fluids).

I don't say that to scare you but to just prepare you because I felt like everyone talked about how difficult labor is...and it is, but the postpartum stuff sort of took me by surprise, even though I had read all about how hard it was. I spent a lot of time setting reasonable expectations for the birthing process, but then was SO hard on myself in the newborn period when everything wasn't perfect.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I'm so glad everything went well! I had been thinking about you and watching for posts so I'm glad you had time to come update the internet in between all the madness that is having a newborn. Enjoy your fresh baby!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Congrats on fresh babies and positive pregnancy tests! My heart is with you Nessa. ❤️

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
It is so individual! Hard to give advice I think, except prepare to be tired and for it not to be super fun which it seems like you are prepared for. I heard a lot of people didn't like when guests came over and wanted to hold the baby but my mom would come over and take care of the baby while I took a nap and it kept me going in the early weeks (my husband only took a week off in the beginning so he could take a chunk of time after I went back to work).

Also be prepared that breastfeeding might be a struggle. She should mentally prepare that it isn't going to necessarily be easy or intuitive. We ended up using formula and it was a great choice for us. Some people have really strong feelings about feeding babies but if we ever have another, I will be combo feeding formula and breast milk from the beginning because it sucks to be 100% responsibility for feeding and having formula in the picture allowed my husband and parents to help out. Just something to think about.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I told anyone that I would tell if I had a miscarriage...for me that was my parents and a few close friends. I couldn't have waited, and I would have wanted support if something went wrong.

Oh and... congrats!!!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Just popping in to say we fed formula by choice and have a beautiful, healthy one year old. BFing is great but I was struggling with PPD/PPA and formula was the right choice for us.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I somewhat recently joined said FB group and it's good people.

Sending love to you all in the newborn months. This is hard work and you are doing great, I promise!!!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Another chiming in for lack of strong opinions around birth. I wanted pain meds and to come into the hospital with two people and leave with three people. I had read enough birth stories to know that it never really goes how you plan for it to go, so I planned to just roll with the punches. I didn't have a choice of hospital and I had no idea who the doctor who delivered was. Literally can't remember his face! Lol. I was definitely mentally prepared for birth to be wild but was not prepared for the first few days postpartum to be pretty tough as well. Honestly that was more traumatic for me than the birth, partially because I hadn't really mentally prepared myself for how exhausting it was going to be. But you will surprise yourself. It's one of those life experiences that shows you how strong you can be. I'm considering doing it again so it can't have been that bad..... right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I ended up just wearing the maternity dress I showed up to the hospital in when I had my emergency induction. Sort of weird in retrospect but it was jersey and was easy to pull up over my belly. It wasn't even really a choice, I just sort of defaulted to it. I finally changed into a hospital gown in my post partum room. I didn't really think much of it at the time but it's really weird in retrospect.