Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I didn't go to any classes and had a natural childbirth as far as no pain relief went because the midwives didn't seem to believe I was in labour until 10 minutes before Connor was born so all I had was 2 paracetamol then gas and air for the 9 minutes I was in the delivery room. But then I was lucky in that it only lasted 4 hours.

Brighty 2002 - I had my membranes swept, it didn't hurt but it didn't do anything either, the worst part for me was the midwife trying to get her hand in far enough to do it. I think if you're not dilated enough they can't do it but I could be wrong or there could be different methods in different countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I kind of half swaddle Connor, wrapping him up in a blanket fairly snugly from under his armpits, but loose round the back of his head and leaving his arms free once he's been changed into his pyjamas as part of the night time routine. I don't know whether it makes much difference to his sleeping to be honest but it keeps him cosy.

Congratulations The Wormy Guy, I just took folic acid for the first 3 months which you can get most places in the UK or from the doctor (prescriptions are free for pregnant women).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
In the UK studies have suggested that home births are actually safer than hospital births for women with no complications during the pregnancy and have delivered a baby vaginally with no complications previously (but of course now I say that I can't find the source).

From what I can gather though I think the midwife system in the US is different than in the UK - over here it would only be in high risk pregnancies that you would even see a doctor as pregnancy and childbirth is midwife led care.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

I'm not sure if this is an irish tradition or just my family, but we always give a new baby a silver coin when visiting. Here's Marigold clutching one my mother brought, that was given to me when I was born 30-odd years ago.

Congratulations, Marigold is absolutely beautiful :)

We have the silver coin tradition over on the West Coast of Scotland too, people will come up in the street and give the baby a bit of silver. We made about £20 in the first week - including 30p from a drunk man who staggered out the off license.

Does anyone else get that too?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

foxatee posted:

Congrats, SAKU loving KOIVU! Your baby is making you monies? That is the best type of baby, imo. My husband is part Irish-- can I get in on this action, too? (kidding)

I had yet another doctor's appointment today which didn't go well, I suppose. They detected some protein in my urine, and my blood pressure is up. After asking me a few questions, he's not TOO concerned, but wants to keep a closer eye on me so I'll be checking in with him every week now. Next week we go in for an ultrasound to make sure everything is okay. They're going to do some other stuff, but I don't remember what. Something about swabbing my vagoo.

Currently I'm sitting with my feet propped up since I've been having a lot of swelling lately (increase in blood pressure~), and I'm drinking lots of water (as usual. I really do miss all my sugary drinks). Doctor says if my blood pressure continues to rise, he's going to induce. I'm 34 weeks in and he says the baby feels to be about 5lbs, so he's not going to worry if I have to deliver early. But of course I'M worried.

Is there anything I can do to keep my blood pressure down? Why the hell did it go up? It's been perfect until now and I can't figure out what could be the cause. My husband is blaming Minecraft. :psyduck:

Any helpful advice? I feel completely unprepared for the arrival of this kid. We haven't even gone to the childbirth classes yet!

I'm guessing they're worried that you might have preeclampsia http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pre-eclampsia/Pages/Symptoms.aspx but it's one of these things where the the symptoms of preeclampsia and the general pregnancy symptoms can be confused.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

foxatee posted:

That's what I figured. He mentioned hypertension, but not preeclampsia. I'm aware of the symptoms since my husband's cousin lost her baby recently that way.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My sister in law had similar symptoms during her last pregnancy and everything was fine - she got to 39 weeks and then they took her in for a section (there were other factors which made the section necessary). As Fire in the Disco said she was told to rest as much as she could.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

MarshallX posted:

Should Mom pump after breast feeding? Baby looks quite content but she said she still feels a bit heavy.

Congratulations :)

There's often a couple of day where your boobs feel like super hard heavy rocks just when the milk is changing from colustrum to 'milk milk', it passes pretty quickly as your milk supply regulates to meet the needs of the baby.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Revenant77 posted:

Thank you for this. Every night between 5 and 9pm, Natalie just hates the world and I have seriously questioned every action I've taken. I've gone through everything I've eaten that day trying to figure out what could be causing this. More than once, I've plopped her on dads lap and left the room to regroup. It's so confusing because during the day, everything is great and she's a happy baby that smiles at me and makes me feel wonderful. I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone with this.

Connor gets like this too, but I think in his case it's down to over-tiredness. What works for me is lying in bed in a dark room with him either nursing or if the boob makes him scream giving him his dummy and holding him close as though he was nursing. I did worry for a bit that he was screaming because he was hungry and there wasn't any milk but a quick squeeze always produced something.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I lived in leggings and floaty long tops / short dresses for the last three months of pregnancy, it was possibly the most femininely dressed I have ever been.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Panne posted:

In Norway where I am it's not done unless there's a reason to suspect you have it so I had never heard of it before reading this thread.

Same here in the UK (scotland)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My sister in law is a doctor and when we were both pregnant she mentioned that the reason there is the 'blanket ban' on alcohol during pregnancy is because there is no ethical way to discover the safe level of alcohol that can be drunk during pregnancy the health board has to recommend none. There can't really be proper research on the subject because the doctors would have to monitor how much the pregnant mother drinks and then if the baby comes out hosed then say 'Aha, we found our limit'. I realise this is a very simplified way to describe doing research but I think that was the crux of the argument.

She continued to drink alcohol occasionally during her pregnancy, no more than a unit or two a week I would think, and the baby is fine.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

MarshallX posted:

Grayson is 7 weeks old and slept from 9:30PM to 6:00AM last night - on one hand we were pretty pumped because we got to sleep but on the other hand that doesn't sound normal to us.

Any ideas?

It's fine, Connor is the same and has been since about 6 weeks. Longest sleep so far has been 11 hours but 9 hours a night is about average for him. He feeds more and doesn't really take any significant naps during the day.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
When Connor was about 6 weeks old I had to go out for the night for a friends birthday and my partner fed him folmula milk. He didn't poo for about 6 days after, on the 4th and 5th day he started farting constantly and they smelt really foul, then when he did poo it was the stinkiest thing in the world. He was fine when it was just the occasional topping up bottle but for some reason a whole night (about 11oz of it) was too much.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Brennanite posted:

Question for those of you who have already had your babies: how often do you use your changing table? (As opposed to changing on the floor/bed, I assume you change a lot of diapers in general.) Do you consider it necessary to have? If you have open shelves, do you wish you had drawers? I'm thinking about making one, rather than paying $90 for a couple of pieces of particleboard.

I didn't get one because I knew I would very rarely use it (I tend to just change Connor whereever we are at the time), but I have heard that they are good for people with back problems.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
There is also the trisonomy (?) test that you can get done at approximately 12 weeks to test for some birth defects, so if you have a test and something shows up you can deal with it privately and decide on how you want to proceed without other people asking questions.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
What's standard in the US for how many people in the room when you deliver? It was my partenr and I and 2 midwives when I had Connor and that seemed like pretty much all you need - is it standard to have more over there or are people talking about having no medical people at the birth?

I don't have any pictures of me and the baby immediately after birth, earliest one is of Connor taken on my mobile when he is about 3 hours old. It's not something that bothers me at all but then I'm not that fussed about photos anyway.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I'm struggling with some feelings right now and I'd really like to know if I'm being stupid or not.

The problem is people giving me things. My best friend is giving me a bunch of her old baby clothes. She's had three boys and so has plenty to give. But she also bought me some things from a yard sale in her neighborhood. A swing thing, a vibrating bouncy chair, and a bathtime baby washer thing. They all looked a bit ratty and weren't anything all in the style I would want to get. I told her thank you of course, and I'm going to take all of it, but it really started getting me down.

Then another friend messaged me out of nowhere and said she had stuff for me without me even asking her. She said "You can look through it and keep what you want and then give the rest to Goodwill." I feel like she's just trying to slough the stuff off on me to clean out her closet.

People are giving me things and it's not that I don't appreciate it, but if I'm given everything, I can't give my kid anything myself. I want to pick things out for my first born. Things that aren't hand me downs. But now I have a bouncy chair and it would be wasteful and also look like I'm ungrateful if I went and got one more my style and brand new.

It's the one thing I can do for my kid right now, buy the things he's going to need and I just feel like if people are giving me stuff, I don't get to do that. I don't get to provide for my baby.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything people are doing and giving me, but I want to do things to. I want to be his provider. I want to get my first born nice new stuff, not hand me downs. We're not poor, we can afford all the stuff he needs, but it would be wasteful to go get it now that someone else has given me a second hand thing from a yard sale.

I became so upset about this I actually cried my eyes out telling my husband about how I feel.

Another thing that makes me feel so completely and utterly guilty is that I am more disappointed I'm having a boy then I thought I would be. I really wanted a girl because I just don't understand boys. I don't get it. I'm so worried that I wont be able to bond with my child because I wont get him. I also really, really hate all the stuff they have for boys. It's all full of robots and cars and planes and I hate it all. It's all so generic and crappy and ugly and I hate it so now I don't like anything I CAN get for my kid and it's just become this huge cycle of depression, guilt, and annoyance.

Am I being ridiculous?

You are this babys provider right now and will be when he is born. He'll not give a poo poo if his clothes came from you buying them at Harrods or his next door neighbour but one. Save your money on the unimportant stuff so you can save for the expenses no one will help you with like college and health care.

Free stuff is awesome, they go through clothes quicker than you can imagine. And people ARE cleaning out their closets and trying to slough the stuff off on you - that's probably what you'll do when you have a massive load of clothes and hear that someone is having a boy in 6 months time. Most of the clothes have probably only been worn once or twice before they are too small and people like to think that someone they care about is able to get use out of them as well.

If you really don't like the bouncy chairs they gave you just buy yourself a new one and tell them it was a present from a relative. Do that with everything in fact - they won't be checking up on you.

And I was disappointed I was having a boy. But now he's here I'm not.

Edit: I've bought maybe 2 outfits for Connor since he was born 9 months ago and don't feel like I am not providing for him. I feel lucky I have so many people who want to give me stuff.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 16, 2011

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

limegrnxj posted:

At least he wanted to have sex with you. My already suffering self esteem took a nosedive when it became obvious that position was not the problem. :( Pity party over here.

I had that problem too, it made me feel like crap what with being fairly insecure anyway and a bundle of insane hormones at the time.

After Connor was born my partner seemed to get doubly horny to make up for lost time. It's pretty bad to admit but I quite enjoyed telling him I was too tired and not in the mood.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I knew I was having a boy mainly because I thought I wanted a girl and sods law.... but at the end of the day it really didn't matter. I knew I would love whatever popped out of my vagina regardless of gender.

Had about 5 urine infections during the pregnancy and each time I was prescribed antibiotics which then led to thrush. Pretty annoying having to treat a symptomless condition with something that causes thrush but nevermind.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Congrats to the new mothers!

It seems a lot of the mothers here all try to go with a natural childbirth. I'm curious as to why. The thought hasn't even crossed my mind. I'm a big baby when it comes to pain, so it's always been in my mind that I'm going to get an epidural.

Why didn't you guys?

Has anyone in here opted to get the epidural and not tried for natural. I don't want to compare myself to you guys, but I feel kind of like a wuss for not wanting to go natural.

I am a massive wuss too, but I'm more scared of epidurals than I am of childbirth. The first time I had heard of one it was when a girl I knew had a baby, and the epidural went wrong so she was paralysed for 3 days. I know that's pretty rare and unlikely but it's the connection in my head - epidural = bad stuff. Also I am one of the lucky ones and babies just pop out with no real hassle.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
For anyone who likes studies or homebirths;

https://www.npeu.ox.ac.uk/birthplace/results

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I had my gallbladder out a month ago after about 10 months of intermittant pain caused by gallstones. If it is any comfort I found labour easier to deal with on the pain scale (but everyone is different). On average it was probably about once a week in the middle of the night I'd get an attack and it was extreme pain radiating from back or side together with nausea and vomitting.

Like Helanna said if you can get keyhole surgery the recovery is pretty quick but I don't think they'll take it out while you're pregnant, probably just suggest diet tips to see if that makes a difference. I didn't notice a huge correlation between what I ate and when I got attacks but some people do.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

bamzilla posted:

I know of very few women (actually I only know of myself, but people here have known others) who were induced successfully.

I have been induced for 2 labours and both times delivered vaginally within 5 hours with either gas and air or (not through choice but they wouldn't give me anything stronger) paracetamol as pain relief.

Edit: First time was at 37 weeks + 5 because my water broke and I didn't go into labour spontaneously within 24 hours, second time was because I was 10 days over due date.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I had to look up paracetamol because it's a drug I had never heard of before and I'm keeping an ear out for low-impact pain killers. The American version of paracetamol is Tylenol! Ha! I thought that was funny. In America, Tylenol is used for headaches.

That's what it's used for here too :(

Just remembered my sister in law had to get induced too for going over dates and then water breaking and nothing happening. She had a worse time than me and ended up getting some morphine derived pain killer that I can't remember the name of after about 20 hours just to let her sleep for a bit but still ended up delivering vaginally.

We're in the UK though. Reading these pregnancy threads has really been an eye opener in the difference between UK and US typical birth experiences.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread for my question, but here goes:

Is it possible for a woman to get pregnant by sticking a just disposed condom up her vagina so she can get pregnant and trap her boyfriend into a long term relationship?

I know most condoms have spermicide, but is it enough? even for a huge rear end load?

DJ Tom Leykis recommended pouring tabasco in the condom to prevent this kind of situation, but I really don't feel like messing with hot sauce after sex.

I want to just flush the whole thing down the toilet, but i'm afraid it will screw up the plumbing.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Very e/n but you should decide whether it's because she has given you reason to suspect she would do something like that, or if you are just incredibly paranoid and don't trust her. Either way you should probably sort it out.

I would wrap the used condom in a load of toilet roll and flush it but depends as you say on the plumbing in your building. You could squirt some bleach into it?

Edit: or spermicidal lube - get a tube of it and squirt some in before you tie it up.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 6, 2012

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

The Young Marge posted:

Anybody breastfeed and NOT co-sleep? Our little guy sleeps in his crib in his own room. Our bed is too small for co-sleeping - I get crowded out on a nightly basis. I wanted to have him in a cradle next to my side of the bed, but there wasn't enough space (we have a little house with small rooms.) I'm quick to respond when I hear him on the baby monitor and he seems totally fine, but I feel guilty, like he's not getting enough contact with me or something, and might be missing feeding opportunities. He's a happy baby and is gaining weight steadily, though. He wakes up 2 or 3 times in the night, eats and gets a diaper change, and goes back to sleep.

I had Connor in the Moses Basket beside the bed for the first four months then into the cot (still in our room). He's slept in our bed a few nights when he woke up in the middle of the night and I fell asleep while feeding him but it's definitely been the exception rather than the norm. I couldn't co-sleep with him now as he just won't sleep in the big bed - he'll start crawling about and trying to jump off the edge then as soon as he goes back into the cot he'll go back to sleep. Think he just connects cot with sleeping and everywhere in the house with mischief making opportunities.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

netally posted:

For those who have already had a baby, which of these would be more useful? These aren't the exact ones I'd go for, but it's easier than describing them:

I had both, but at different stages. Bouncy chair was good for birth to fourish months when he basically just lay there and wiggled a bit, then the nest was good for when he could almost but not quite sit up.

If I could only have had one it would be the bouncer. The nest folds away pretty small when it is deflated and I got mine for under £10 on ebay so they don't have to cost too much.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I bled for 11 days, but I think I'm just lucky.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sarsaparilla posted:

Re: Packing for the hospital

You don't need maternity pads, wipes or diapers. The Hospital will provide a plethora of these - probably even a bunch for you to take home too.

In the UK they're pretty stingy with stuff like that and I can only imagine they've got worse in the last year. In my experience they'll grudgingly give you nappies if they have to but apart from that it's the bare basics and trying to get the sticky black tar poo off with water and cotton wool balls is a nightmare.

One thing I wished I had packed more of was pyjama bottoms/pants but that was because my waters broke and then had nothing to put on my bottom half while they ignored the fact i was in labour in the public ward. Obviously in the delivery room it wasn't an issue.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

zonohedron posted:

So Andrew's a month old, and has started doing something new - some of the time when he's done nursing, rather than unlatching he'll pull his head back as far as he can until the nipple pops out of his mouth. It really, really hurts when he does that, but I'm not really sure what I can do to discourage it, besides noticing that he seems to be done nursing and breaking his latch with my finger so that when he moves his head the nipple doesn't go with it. My mom suggested gently tapping his forehead, but I'm not sure that he's old enough to connect that to what he just did, or that a forehead tap would count as discouragement if he did understand that it was connected.

Also, on the breastfeeding-and-pregnancy thing - has anyone used the fertility awareness method to avoid pregnancy while exclusively breastfeeding? I'm not doing "ecological" breastfeeding (we can't cosleep and sometimes we give Andrew a pacifier), but I otherwise meet the LAM criteria, and I used FAM for four years prior to (purposefully) getting pregnant so I'm not new to the method, just to using it with a baby around.

It seems to be a stage babies go through, I remember when Connor was about 6 weeks he would hold my nipple in his mouth and shake his head about so it was like a dog worrying a dead bird. Sore and annoying but something you just have to grin and bear really if the unhooking latch and holding them in closer suggestions don't wor.

Putting aside the 'is a month old baby old enough to understand cause and effect' debate (which I'm pretty sure they aren't), the thing with negative reinforcement is that you would have to poke him hard enough to hurt him, and it would probably just end up giving him a nipple complex.

I wouldn't want to rely on Fertility Awareness while breastfeeding because your cycle can be pretty screwed up. As far as breastfeeding being a contraceptive I think using a dummy is an automatic disqualification.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

vanessa posted:

Also, did any of you have any intuition about when your baby would arrive, and were you right? I've got this feeling that my baby will arrive closer to 37 weeks than to 40 weeks, and it's been hard making sure I don't get too excited or expectant (or panicky, because I just hit 36 weeks and it feels like we aren't remotely close to prepared even though we have the bassinet and diapers, and all the blankets and clothes have been washed and put away).

I was absolutely convinced that Connor would be 2 weeks early, to the extent of arranging Christmas assuming he would be here, and he was a week late. It made the last few weeks drag so much more than if I had just assumed he would be here on week 42.

I think for all the people who were convinced the baby would come a certain time and they do, there's 4 times as many just as sure and they don't.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I have a question about getting back into sex. Did you guys wait the entire 6 weeks before having sex again or did you start up a little bit sooner? I'm going to be 4 weeks post-partum on Thursday and I've been raring to go since week two. It's really, really frustrating, but I don't want to cause any damage or anything like that.

I had sex again about 2 weeks after, once bleeding had stopped and I felt like I could handle it. But I had a fairly easy birth with no tearing.

One thing I've noticed about post baby sex is that for the first time in my life I've wanted to use lubrication, so if that's something you don't have round the house it might be an idea just in case. I'm sure everyone is different though.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

SassySally posted:

Ok, so I don't want to sound like I'm being whiny... but I am concerned.

I'm 14w4d. In the first trimester I lost 10 pounds and half an inch around my waist. I had light nausea and a lot of exhaustion. Now I've gained back the half inch plus 1/4, but no weight. I feel perfectly normal... except a little extra tired. I feel like all the extra in my belly is just fat... no baby.

I know the 2nd trimester is supposed to be easy and nice, but it just has me worried that there's something wrong since I don't feel pregnant at all. We started telling people after we were 11 weeks and heard the heartbeat... now every time I tell someone, I wonder if I still actually am.

Please tell me I'm being crazy.

I felt exactly the same, as horrible as morning sickness was at least it made me feel pregnant, then when that passed but before the bump appeared it was unsettling to have no symptoms.

I bought myself a baby heart rate monitor and that was pretty cool, but there have been warnings that they either lull people into a false sense of security when they have problems and rely on hearing the heartbeat to assume everything is fine, or make people panic when they can't hear a heartbeat when really it's just down to positioning.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

He's adorable. :sympathy:

I'm sorry you're going through the same troubles we are. I hope for both our sake that our kids get it together soon.

I saw a lactation consultant today and am going to a lactation clinic tomorrow. I am still on the verge of giving up breast feeding.

Oh, did I mention that we were both diagnosed with thrush on Monday? So much fun!

My husband and I have both decided we do not want any more kids. We're looking into a vasectomy for him. That's how awful it's been. I can't read the parenting megathread because it depresses the poo poo out of me. Reading about all the other problems that are going to be coming up, I just get so incredibly defeated. To quote my husband: "The light at the end of the tunnel is so incredibly dim."

Honestly, choosing to stop brestfeeding isn't going to kill your baby or doom him to a life of obese dimwittery. Anecdotally, the child that I bottlefed the longest (from 6 weeks) is tall and thin as a beanpole and about to sit the credit exams in all but one of his subjects. Of course breast milk is the best source of food but formula milk isn't poison, it is an adequate substitute. And if it stops you and your husband going slowly insane and hating parenthood then it might be a fair trade off.

Breastfeeding is absolutely fantastic when it works, but when it doesn't we are lucky that we live in a time and country where other options are available.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Honestly all my stress is coming from breast feeding. I live in a state of near panic when he's awake, wondering if he'll latch or if it's going to be another fight to the death. I hate fighting with my baby and I hate feeling like a loser when I finally give in and give him a bottle.

I am so sleep deprived also. I can't sleep when he sleeps because my nerves are wound to tight from the feeding fight. I also worry I'll miss his feeding cues so I tend to jump at every noise he makes.

Everyone who knows me irl has told me it's ok to formula feed and to not feel guilty, even my sister who is a huge breastfeeding advocate. I just have so much guilt built up because no matter where I go or who I turn to, is drummed into my head that you must breastfeed. Do everything to breastfeed. Sacrifice everything to breastfeed. You are poisoning your kid if you don't breastfeed. He will be a fat, stupid, sickly child if you don't breastfeed. You are a loser and a bad mother if you don't breastfeed. It's even printed in the god damned formula canister!

It is literally the worst feeling and this is literally the hardest decision I've had to make and I haven't even made it yet.

How do you do with pumping? You said you were pumping through the thrush - can you produce a good amount through pumping?

Looking at your previous posts in the thread it seems to be the latch that you're having problems with rather than production, if that's the case maybe choosing to give your baby pumped milk in a bottle will be a good compromise. You will know your baby is getting the best milk but you won't have the dread of the pain and difficulty of breastfeeding.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Stairs posted:

He's also gotten *really* attracted to me. It's a bit disconcerting actually, because he literally can't stop grabbing at me. Anyone else have this problem? Naturally at 33 weeks this is the worst possible time for him to crave affection since I feel about as sexy as a beach ball. I'm about ready to give him a $50 and ship him off to a strip club LOL!

It was the opposite for me, my husband was affectionate and everything but the thought of putting his penis anywhere near what he thought of as 'baby territory' was a big no no for him. I kind of understood but it left me feeling a bit lovely and like a massive baby carrying vessel.

To be honest though if he'd been grabby I probably would have hated it too. I just hated being pregnant.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I've only had boys and my thought would be that it's easier to clean boy parts because it's all out there rather than having to get crap out of all the crevices. Also fountains seem like they would be easier to deal with than puddles as the trajectory gives you a split second to get something in place to soak it up.

Think it's probably just what you're used to though.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

netally posted:

I don't know what the local advice is, but in the UK they're very much against women giving birth on their backs. Apparently this can slow things down.

That depends where you are, I gave birth in Glasgow (Scotland) and was strapped to the bed and told I couldn't move even though I was sobbing my eyes out because it hurt lying on my back so much.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
It was the fetal heart rate monitor that was the problem for me, they said they needed to have a reading for at least 30 minutes before they would take me to the labour room. Connor popped out ten minutes after they said that, he was nearly born in the lift. They did give me two paracetamol though.

I wish I'd had the confidence to tell them all to gently caress off and actually look at my vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I think there's been a suggestion of increased risk of birth defects if children are born too close together, a quick google found this

quote:

Children born too close together are more likely to be born early, or small and underweight. Premature or too small babies have a greater chance of becoming sick; some even die as a result. Researchers believe babies born close together are less healthy because the mother's body has not fully 'bounced back' from the previous pregnancy. Being pregnant and having a baby takes a toll on a woman's body. How long should you wait before having your next child? The healthiest babies are born to women who waited 18 to 23 months after giving birth before getting pregnant again. Using a family planning method helps you plan your pregnancies and control the amount of time between births.

I personally would not want to cope with two children under 18 months, the thought of trying to feed and care for a newborn while a one year old is tearing about trying to stick everything they find in their mouth and climb over furniture so they can launch themselves off is exhausting.

But I think it's a very personal choice. Some people think it must be awful having big age gaps and ask me how I cope with a teenager and a baby.