Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
It's progression along the centile charts that is the important thing. At two and a half Connor weighs less than a lot of the one year olds that people have mentioned their weight in the parenting thread because he's spent his whole life bumping about between the 2nd and 9th percentiles. But he's bright, healthy and developmentally he's always been on target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Seven for a Secret posted:

Do you feel that the day your child was born was the best day of your life? It's been almost three weeks and I'm not feeling that way. I mean it was certainly an amazing and intense day, but it was spent entirely in a hospital and involved no sleep and a ton of pain and injury that I'm still recovering from. I guess meeting my daughter is supposed to make all of that insignificant but I'm not sure it does. :( Maybe it's still too recent and when I look back on it from later on I'll just remember seeing her for the first time and not the rest of it?

God no.

Just for the last two kids;

The day I had Connor the most enduring memory I have of it is lying curled up in a ball on the hospital bed with my husband obviously thinking I was just being a whiny baby and wanting to go home and the midwives not believing I was in labour and telling me I could get 2 paracetamol (tylenol) if I was in pain but not bothering to actually bring it round. I have never felt so scared and alone and it changed how I felt about my husband for quite a while after.

The day I had Ellie I had been in labour since 11pm the night before so I was tired and sore and I knew that they were going to whisk her away as soon as she came out to make sure she wasn't too hosed up from coming 6 weeks early. I just took as many drugs as I could and when they told me to start pushing I started sobbing uncontrollably because I couldn't get the image of her coming out dead out of my brain. They did take her away and kept her in a box for a week after - the day I got to bring her home felt much more like a celebration.

People feel differently about the whole birth experience and I would never tell someone who did feel like it was the best day of their life that it was a stupid way to feel, equally I would hope that people wouldn't tell others that they are an uncaring monster for not feeling the same way as they do.

Edit: my husband isn't actually a dick which I know that probably made him sound. I am a big whiny baby a lot of the time and when the midwives said I wasn't in labour he believed them automatically because they are the professionals.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 24, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

travelsized posted:

When people give me advice I just nod and smile.

An important skill to learn. I had people swearing my life would be so much easier if I gave my 3 week old a bottle of custard to make him sleep. There's no point arguing, if something sounds completely insane just smile and nod.

With names we had names chosen already, once we found out the sex we made a list and chose a name we both liked.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sudont posted:

I appreciate that some women have no problem breastfeeding in public, because we shouldn't, at all, whatsoever. Reality is, though, for many women, it's incredibly stressful because they don't have a supportive community, or they have personal issues with feeling unsafe, or, because of how we're socialized, we don't want to "make a fuss" or offend anyone. I don't think being kinda a jerk to Dwemer, or anyone who could probably use some support, is helping normalize breastfeeding. People tend to just stop asking questions or seeking support when they're met with that.

Edit: I was composing this while Chickalicious posted and didn't see it before I hit Submit. I 100% agree with what you're saying. You're not uncomfortable breastfeeding in public and I'm grateful for that because women like you give me someone to look to for example and support. I just feel that a gentler response might be more helpful to women who are struggling with it.

I agree. There's a big difference between breastfeeding in public when there are a lot of other women who do the same around or when your social group is fully supportive of breastfeeding, and breastfeeding in public in an environment where it is made clear that people only tolerate it because it's the law and your friends are already pressuring you to bottle feed. It can make something that is natural begin to feel like a political stand. Obviously more women doing it will help it to become more accepted but it can be hard to be the first.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I'm at about 28 weeks now, and today I went in for my gestational diabetes test and to get the flu shot. Both went without a hitch, but I was talking with a couple ladies later on and they were horrified that I got a flu shot while pregnant. I'm a bit confused, because I thought the flu shot is strongly recommended for pregnant women? The one lady actually said sadly, "you won't know the full impact of exposing your child to that toxin for years."

The nurse told me that the version I got was dead virus based and mercury free. I thought the whole vaccine link to damaging kids was disproven. Are there that many anti-vaccine crazies out there or has there ever really been a link between flu shots in pregnant women and damage to their babies?

Like everyone else said, those people are crazy. I guess the number of crazy anti vaccine people varies from place to place but there's still a few out there.

sudont posted:

I just realized I've aged out of this thread! My son is 14 weeks now. His 3 month warranty is up and I am definitely going to keep him. I don't think I'll follow the Parenting megathread because that's just too huge an age range for me to dig through for helpful information, but we'll see.

Most of the stuff posted in the thread is about very young children, I'd say the majority is about under twos - sleeping, teething and weaning especially. Some posts are about children older than toddlers but the vast majority are posts about pre-school aged children.

And October is a nice time to start dipping into the thread if you like small children in Halloween costumes :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Dear Pregnancy Thread (there is a sentence fragment I never imagined typing),

First of all, thankyou. My lovely wife and I are going to become first-time parents at the end of November, and I've just finished trawling the last 220 pages and learnt a whole lot more 'practical' things than I did from the half dozen books I read combined.

I had a few questions, which may have been touched on but still:

a) The obs said we can expect to be there 4-5 days. The hospital will let me stay overnight, for a small amount. To the ladies, is that something you would really want? Or do you just want to be left the hell alone for the night? It's only like a 10m drive, so it isn't really for convenience or anything.

b) All the books have checklists of 'what to pack for your hospital stay', and they are all pretty much the same - clothes, slippers, toiletries, etc. But is there anything you really wanted or wished you had? The list I have been going off is like http://www.kidspot.com.au/Pregnancy-Tools-What-to-pack-for-hospital+2+2+article.htm

c) On a similar path, I'd like to bring her something special for lunch or dinner one day. When do you think would be best for that? Or would you just not be interested in food at all, other than in a basic 'feed me gruel then let me sleep' kind of way?

d) It's going to be the start of summer here in Sydney, and it's supposed to be the hottest in a long time. We don't have aircon. Do you get particularly hot post-pregnancy, to the point of discomfort? The last thing I want is to bring her home and have her feel like hot, sweaty death! I can borrow a portable aircon, but it's going to be an entire day's driving, so like to avoid it unless we really need it.

e) Not a question, but holy hell I am terrified at suddenly becoming a responsible adult.

f) Girls names? Sorted.
Boys names? Not so much. We have a short list - would this be the place to ask people for opinions?

Thanks!

a) It depends on your wife. I would have liked it if my husband had stayed because it's pretty boring being stuck in hospital then after the baby was born it would be nice to have someone share the work/terror of dealing with a newborn, but your wife might feel differently. I'd just say to her that it's her choice and you are more than happy to do either.

b) I would have liked a water sprayer thing as you get pretty drat hot and sweaty during labour.

c) Again, it really depends what your wife likes to eat. Food that she's not been allowed to eat during the pregnancy (like pate) might be nice but only if she actually likes it.

d) I didn't get overly hot after pregnancy.

e) You'll be fine.

f) You can ask and get opinions, I think there might also be a thread in PYF? There was a few years back but it's not a forum I check regularly. My boys names are Alistair, Cameron and Connor so feel free to use any of those :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

jota23 posted:

It's a girl! I have to admit I was more disappointed than I expected, and it lasted about an hour longer than I hoped, but I'm okay now. A little girl! Oh, let the baby knitting begin... Again.

It passes pretty quickly and by the time they are born it doesn't matter at all. I felt a wee bit like that when we found out Connor was a boy but being able to settle on a name for him and start picking out clothes - by the time he came out it really wasn't a disappointment at all. The worst thing was everyone elses reaction, we had a few 'oh neverminds' from relatives which pissed me off.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Alterian posted:

In some other thread on these forums people were claiming newborns are the best stage of children and they would rather have a newborn than a toddler. :psyduck:

I was joking with my husband that I would only want a second one if it would come out about 6 months old.

That was possibly me, I am one of the weird ones that likes newborns better than toddlers. I think it's a combination of hating pregnancy so much and being lucky enough that births haven't been that rough so I immediately feel a million times better just getting the baby out, never having any real problem with breast feeding and having enough support around that I can just take on the same routine as the baby so for the first month it's just a long sleeping feeding dreamworld.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Zethe posted:

Just found out the missus is pregnant last week. Got our first scan in a few weeks.

They didn't do any pregnancy test on her when we went to the doctors the first time which I found weird. Aren't they supposed to check if she is, you know.. actually pregnant?
I think will have to change doctors because these mouth breathers were not even sure who(nurse or doctor) is supposed to contact the midwives.

She's crying all the time and sending me out at three o-clock in the morning to pickup oranges so she better bloody be pregnant.

Congratulations :) Are you in the UK? That sounds pretty typical (pregnant women can self refer to the midwives).

Good luck with everything His Divine Shadow

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Stairs posted:

I'm a bit nervous about some upcoming plans, and would like some advice from anyone who might have it.

I have four kids, ages 16, 13, 11, and 15 months, and me and my husband want to start preparing to conceive number 5. I'll be 35 in March, so if we're going to have a "tie breaker" (we have 2 girls/ 2 boys) I want it to be this year. My last pregnancy was peppered with issues, including the OB mis-diagnosing me with GD and treating me as high risk just because of my age and the baby being breech at birth. I didn't have a c-section and delivered my 9lb 12oz girl butt-first.

My questions are this: Has anyone here had a baby this late in their 30's? I'm concerned about what kind of tests they might insist on, given that two years ago they treated me like an elderly woman and pretty much insisted on c-section from 3 months in (to the point that I changed OB's a month before my due date). With a breech birth like my last, what are the chances of having a normal one this time? And lastly am I being a complete loving idiot for wanting two babies this close together when I'm my age?

I'm 34 (35 in 3 weeks) and have a 17 year old, an 11 year old, a nearly 3 year old and a 9 month old. All labours have been fairly complication free although with the last baby my waters broke at 32 weeks which was a bit poo poo. Two weeks in hospital before giving birth then 12 days of the baby in special care before coming home.

As far as pregnancy care at 34 was concerned it wasn't any different to the others but then I'm in the UK and a lot of tests you seem to get in the US I'd never even heard of before reading this thread. Also I think they are less likely to push for sections here than in the US probably because they cost more for the NHS.

I have to say I don't know if it's my age or being used to big age gaps but I really hate having the two youngest close together and in a lot of ways wish I had waited. But that is just my own personal feeling and I think in a year or so it won't matter - it's just now that I feel like I'm being split in two and not being a great mum to either. But most people cope absolutely fine so I think it's just me.

My mum was 40 when she had my youngest brother and gave birth naturally after having a c-section with my sister and everything was fine.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I got pregnant the cycle after a miscarriage and everything was fine. Well my waters broke at 32 weeks and I had to spend 2 weeks in hospital before going into labour but I think that was just bad luck rather than anything I had done and certainly nothing to do with the miscarriage. Weirdly though it meant that Ellie was born in the week that I would have been due if I hadn't miscarried.

I found that it made me a bit more detached from the pregnancy. When we went for the 20 week scan I still didn't feel pregnant at all even though I was showing and could feel her move and was amazed that the time had passed so quickly as usually I find being pregnant a huge drag.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Stairs posted:

I'm not sure if this is the thread for it, but my most recent child is now two and my husband is deep into the idea of having one more. We already have four, two girls and two boys, and he wants a "tie breaker." He's excellent with babies and changes diapers and all that but I have a couple of concerns:

1. I'm 35 and he's 33, and the youngest boy (11) and my husband's brother are both autistic. I'm concerned that having a baby at my age with our histories could cause something wrong developmentally.

2. I'm really feeling the desire to have another but I'm not sure if it's truly to have another or more to do with enjoying pregnancy and the fact that my oldest is 16 and having babies makes me feel less like I could become a grandmother at my age.

Can anyone whose had consecutive babies at this age chime in? I can't tell if this is just my biological clock screaming at me for one last shot at youth.

I have 4 children, oldest is 18 and youngest is 16 months. I also have a 3 and a half year old so he was just over 2 when I had my youngest at 34. Personally I hate the smaller age gap although now they are getting a bit older and play together sometimes I can see some of the positive side. The older children are good with the young ones and they all have a good relationship with each other.

I don't want to have any more children but not because of any particular reason - just a sense that I am done with it and don't want to go back. If I did want to though I wouldn't see anything wrong with it. If you are really concerned about the risk of development issues it'd probably be good to talk to someone but 35 isn't that old I don't think so shouldn't have too much of a bearing (though I really don't know at all)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Rathina posted:

I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't. I'm 14 weeks now, after 2 miscarriages (one at 7 weeks, one at 11 weeks), I thought I would 'feel' better by 12 weeks just passing that 'magic hurdle'...but I still don't feel excited like I was with my first 2 kids...like at any moment another miscarriage could happen. I do get some mild relief when I go in and see the baby moving around on the ultrasound, but that quickly wears off after awhile. I am hoping by maybe 18-20 weeks when I actually start feeling the baby move I'll be more "Yeah I am having a baby YIPPEE" excitement. I've brought up my concerns with my doctor and she says it's all normal which is good, because I feel like feeling like this would be fasttraking it to PPD or something.

I felt like that when I got pregnant after a miscarriage, it was well over 20 weeks by the time I actually felt pregnant and I don't think I ever really got past the whole feeling like it wasn't real thing (but then my waters broke at 32 weeks so the third trimester was nearly all in hospital anyway). When she came home with us and we got into proper life it was all fine though - I felt exactly the same as I did for all my children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Of my four labours three of them were just with gas and air for pain relief and one of those labours I only got the gas and air ten minutes before Connor was born because they didn't believe I was in labour and gave me a couple of paracetamol. For the fourth I had an epidural and all the pain medicine I could convince them to give me. The circumstances were very different for the fourth (I'd been stuck in hospital for weeks, I knew they were going to take the baby away as soon as she was born to NICU, I'd been awake for 36 hours) but I don't think it really mattered as far as the whole birth experience goes and it most definitely doesn't affect my feelings for my children.

I certainly didn't feel any more in control or happy or connected about the whole thing without painkillers. But I don't have any deep feelings about giving birth, for me it's just a necessary evil if you want to have children. Other people feel completely differently though, it's a very individual thing.