Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

Are ginger tea and ginger chews actually that good for morning sickness? I've tried saltines and carbonated water, but they're not helping a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

car dance
May 12, 2010

Yeah, I am nauseated all the time but I never feel close to puking. It makes it really difficult for me to eat/focus/do work or activities, so I need something that can make it lessen. Thanks for all the help. 7 Up has been helping a little, but I'm going to try some ginger products. I also had some success this afternoon with eating a ton of altoids (I guess the mint cleared up other scents from going into my nose). I managed to eat dinner tonight and eat until I was full, which is something that hasn't happened in a while.

car dance
May 12, 2010

So I'm 14 weeks now and not feeling any morning sickness at all. Thanks to everyone who helped me before, ginger was amazing and I chewed a lot of mint gum.

My bump was really big up until Saturday morning. I don't know what happened, but I'm just wondering if it's possible that everything shifted around over the night? My stomach still definitely looks like a pregnant person, but it's nowhere near the size it was. (And no there was no issue with constipation or anything.)

I have my first real doctors appointment on Monday, so I'll ask there too, but I'm quite paranoid about stupid little things like this. Now that the morning sickness is gone and the bump isn't so protruding, I don't feel pregnant all the time which is kind of a weird (and welcomed) feeling.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Holy crap Bodnoirbabe: my husband and I are naming our kid Maxwell Avery Stirling (lastname) if it's a boy! Great name. :)

Today I found out that I have Medicaid through the program in Illinois. Anyone in this thread use this? What can I expect to pay? I've been going to a midwife who also accepts it, but I really need to go to a cardiologist due to have MVP and she seemed worried that I won't find one that accepts it.

car dance
May 12, 2010

I'm at almost 19 weeks and I feel like little fingers are trying to stab me through my abdomen. Is this normal? Is it possible for kicks/movement to actually be hurting me?

car dance
May 12, 2010

LuckyDaemon posted:

Could it be gas pains? I noticed my digestion wasn't up to par during pregnancy. Baby movement back then felt like lovely little flutters. It wasn't until about 30 weeks when I started to get kind of "ow my kidney" type kicks.

I'd say yes except it feels like it moves from one side to another and happens randomly for like 30 minutes and then goes away. It just literally feels like a finger rubbing against the inside of my lower body, complete with pressure and pain. I can't feel anything on the outside. I have an appointment with my midwife today so I'm going to ask her about it. Thanks.

car dance
May 12, 2010

car dance posted:

I'd say yes except it feels like it moves from one side to another and happens randomly for like 30 minutes and then goes away. It just literally feels like a finger rubbing against the inside of my lower body, complete with pressure and pain. I can't feel anything on the outside. I have an appointment with my midwife today so I'm going to ask her about it. Thanks.

Turns out she says that it's kicking since the location is moving. Sometimes, due to positioning of the upper uterus, kicking can feel like it hurts. Today she tried to take the baby's heart rate again and s/he would not hold still for her. We could hear the thumps of kicking though. I think I just have an active baby in there. We're gonna call it Scooter for now. :3:

car dance
May 12, 2010

I am 35 weeks pregnant now and I can actually feel my hips shifting, widening and pulling apart when I move. I actually feel sometimes like they're going to snap, though I know it's probably normal. Is this related to anything that may be a sign that I'm going to go in to labor soon or can this happen way before birth?

car dance
May 12, 2010

netally posted:

I'm a 35 weeker too and have had loose, clicky hips since around week 18. Its gotten to the point where I can't roll in bed or get up without feeling like they're dislocating. My physio said it's supposed to happen a few weeks before birth, but some people are unlucky and the hormone surge that causes it happens earlier.

Any tips from goon mommas about how to cope with this stage in pregnancy? I'm not bored, I have plenty of college work that I'd like to get done before the baby arrives. I'm just so sick of being pregnant right now. There seem to be zero options for going out and I'm so uncomfortable and irritable. Who are these crazy women who enjoy being pregnant?

Sounds exactly like my pains. I'm definitely also sick as hell of being pregnant. She's a boxer in there and hiccups hurt and my wrists aren't getting enough blood and my feet sure are! This is my first kid. What I've been trying to do to make things easier on myself to make myself more comfortable is to have a lot of pillows around where I'm sitting. I also have been making lots of lists about the awesome things I'm going to do once I can actually walk normally again. Oh and looking on baby websites for things (nesting while not having to move my lower half). Naps are also great, as simple as that sounds.

car dance
May 12, 2010

I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere I couldn't find it, but does anyone have a good list of things to bring to the hospital? I've seen huge lists all over the internet with things like makeup that I know I won't care about or need. I'm 38 weeks now with no sign of labor starting and I keep putting it off. I'm just looking for things I will definitely need that I may not think of myself.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Thanks for the help everyone. I actually started putting my bag together now. Really glad to hear about the Boppy being a lifesaver since I just bought one and was hoping it wasn't a $30 purchase I was going to regret.

netally posted:

I packed mine at the weekend, I'm also a 38 weeker (due 9th March, EEK!).

That's my due date too, actually. She's my first and my midwife hasn't checked me at all and won't until I'm 40 weeks. I haven't had signs of labor at all and barely even feel any Braxton Hicks. It seems a lot of first time mothers run late.

Oh, I also wanted to say thanks for all of the cloth diapering information in the OP! My husband really wanted to do CD. It seemed really daunting to me. Now that we have bought pretty much everything recommended in the post, I feel prepared. Today he started attempting to put a prefold and cover on a doll and it was adorable. :3:

car dance
May 12, 2010

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Having to use COBRA to have insurance must really suck, even if it is a better than nothing option.

If I ever get pregnant again, I'll have a midwife lined up. Pregnancy and childbirth seem to be an art form as much as a science, and it seems like midwives are more dedicated to the process.

I was really surprised during my delivery at how quickly the doctor jumped to the c-section option when my baby got stuck coming out (because he was huge, it turned out). I ended having a vacuum assisted birth but I don't think even that would have been necessary if I'd had a doctor who was more involved - and I had several nurses tell me that I definitely would have gotten a c-section with any other doctor.

One of my friends, when I mentioned my midwife on facebook, asked me why I had a midwife, like as if it was some kind of retro crunchy granola thing. But to be honest, I'm really happy with having a midwife. She has been really helpful when I've asked questions about what I want to do. I told her I want to do everything naturally and she agreed with what I want to do while also making sure I know I'm not a failure if I need to have interventions.

The one thing that I thought was kind of abnormal is that I'm almost 39 weeks and she hasn't checked how dilated or effaced I am. Her explanation is because it doesn't really matter unless I go late: I could be 2cm and 50% effaced for weeks before I go in to labor and she only really checks at 40 weeks to make sure I'm close and not going to go over.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Kubricize posted:

My midwife was the same though she gave me the option of having her check at 38 weeks, more for my piece of mind than anything. Normally they don't do it till 40 weeks. I got her to check and see and I was 3 cm already and the baby's head was engaged and I still didn't end up going into labour till 40 weeks 3 days. So not checking isn't abnormal for a midwife.

Yeah, I think it's definitely not really in my interests to have things checked too often. I obviously haven't had it done yet but I hear it hurts and is uncomfortable and I'd rather just go in to labor anyway if it's happening on its own. I guess I should say it's abnormal in comparison to this baby board I read where women are checked by their OBs starting at 36 weeks. But these women are also having an ultrasound every month and their membranes swept (:gonk:).

car dance
May 12, 2010

So I haven't posted in here since I gave birth, but Maxine was born on March 6th after 16 hours of failed labor and an emergency c-section. The awesome natural childbirth I wanted to have was not in the cards and when the surgeon cut me open she found that my daughter was transverse and 8lb 9oz so she was just plain ol' stuck. Because of the situation my body went through and the trauma of going through all those hours of non-progress, I didn't get milk in until a week after she was born and two weeks later still barely get any. I've talked to about 20 people about the situation including an LC and tried a ton of herbs and teas and oatmeal and etc. While I've been able to get from my original 1/8th of an oz per pumping up to about 1/3 of an oz total from a pump, I've had to supplement almost all of her food. She has an awesome latch but she always pulls away hungry and I have to feed her a bottle anyway. I doubt I'll ever be able to exclusively breastfeed with her.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a ton of people have given me poo poo for "giving up" or whatever you want to call it, because I'm supplementing, but I think that it's just got to be a personal preference and you shouldn't feel bad if you can't or don't want to do it. Before I started with formula she was losing weight and was very dehydrated. So I know that it wasn't good for me to continue on that way. It's really lovely how many people will look down on you if you can't breast feed for whatever reason. A friend of mine was in so much pain from her son's latch that she had cracked and bleeding nipples. It was enough that she stopped because he would pull away from her with blood in his mouth.

So Gravitee and Bodnoirbabe please don't feel bad if you're unable to "make it" to breastfeeding as long as people believe you should be able to. It's also natural to feel bad about missing out on the bond. Either way, it's important to make the choice that's best for both you and your child, not just what people tell you is best. I realized that I was just so angry and upset and anxious about being unable to feed Max that I was not enjoying her infancy. Now that she is full and happy I can smile at her and feel good about holding her and not worry about if she's about to start screaming for hours because she's hungry.

Also the guide to cloth diapers at the beginning of this thread made everything so easy for me. We've been doing cloth diapers for two weeks and it's so easy to maintain. I'd highly suggest it since it's definitely cheaper than disposable!

Here's a picture of Maxine on St. Patrick's Day. No one told me babies faces were so stretchy!

car dance
May 12, 2010

The LC told me about getting a SNS. I might still look in to it. What I have been doing is just letting her nurse after she's eaten some. This way she's calm and gets some milk and also gets the comfort. She really likes just hanging out and will fall asleep very easily that way. I'm just lucky she's a really relaxed baby once she's full!

car dance
May 12, 2010

The first few days my daughter was very, very sleepy. No one told us to wake her up. I'm kind of mad that they didn't because I wonder if that's part of the reason it took so long for my milk to come in.

You really should wake the baby up every 2-3 hours to feed him. What will possibly happen if you don't is two things: 1) for me, my daughter got WAY too over excited to latch and would scream and scream instead of latching, and 2) he's used to sleeping all the time and not eating, and if he doesn't keep eating constantly her milk supply won't be stimulated and she won't start producing/he won't start gaining.

There are a lot of signs that will show he's hungry even if he's sleeping: balled up fists is one (don't let them put little mittens on him even if he does scratch himself a little bit, it will go away) and another important one is his mouth movements, like opening and sticking out a tongue or when you stroke his cheek if he leans toward the stroke and opens wide. Crying is his last ditch effort to tell you he's hungry and if you wait that long he might be frantic.

Also tell your wife she can totally doze off while he's eating once he gets better at latching, so she doesn't lose too much sleep.

My daughter is three weeks old and she STILL does not wake up when she's hungry always. When I do wake her up though she will suck down food like she hasn't eaten in forever.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Thanks TacoNight. If you don't mind me asking, what is your wife doing to increase her supply and how successful has she been?

car dance
May 12, 2010

I've been using that newer Medala nipple and it's really great. She has no problem going back and forth and the flow is very slow.

Anyone else have a little one who has hiccups often? She had them in the womb a lot too. I don't know how to get them to stop as all the techniques I'd use on myself don't work on her yet. She didn't mind them at first but she's starting to get irritated by them.

car dance
May 12, 2010

buttzilla posted:

My daughter had them a ton (in and out of the womb). What flow nipple are you using on the bottle? Lower flow plus stopping to burp her more often may help, but nothing we did really helped for us, unfortunately. Luckily it didn't really bother my kid though. She had them fairly regularly through the first year.

e: oops just saw your comment about the flow being very slow so I guess that's something you can't really change. Is it during both bottle and breastfeeding?

Yeah, she even gets them when she's just sitting there doing nothing! I thought it might have something to do with her formula. She's not a very good burper and sometimes it takes 10 minutes to get her to burp. I'll just keep trying to burp her more often. Today we have another check up because at her 2 week she was half a lb below her birth weight so I'm hoping she's back up.

Honestly, Bodnoirbabe, my advice for you is to try to find a compromise that stops you from being so stressed out. Once I started using formula on top of the breast feeding I'm doing and my daughter stopped being constantly stressed and I wasn't worried about every little move meaning she was going to freak out hungry and flail around on my breast and never stop having hunger cues, I felt like I was able to enjoy her infancy. I feel so much more relaxed and calm and she does too.

car dance
May 12, 2010

netally posted:

One blog that really helped me is the Fearless Formula Feeder: http://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/ It's full of stories from mums, many of whom tried to breastfeed, but switched to formula for different reasons. It also debunks a lot of the bad science behind the "ZOMG FORMULA IS MADE OF RAT POISON" type news stories.

Wow, thank you for this blog. I just read a ton of entries and saw so many things that echoed with me. It really made me feel like I was not alone.

Today at the doctor's appointment, we found out Maxine has gained 21 ounces in 12 days, putting her way over her birth weight and making so we don't have to wake her up every 3 hours anymore. It's going to be awesome to sleep in. None of this could have been possible if I hadn't made the choice to formula feed!

car dance
May 12, 2010

Quick question about CIO stuff:

My daughter is almost 2 months. Sometimes at night she just cries and cries and cries for no reason. I've tried a lot of things and she spits the pacifier out after about two minutes and then starts crying again. I used to use the bouncer to calm her, but now we have an automatic swing and I play music for her and the mobile turns. I feel kind of bad leaving her in the swing crying but there's literally nothing I can do and she will just continue to scream even if I'm holding her or talking to her or anything. I guess I'm just curious as to if it's considered crying it out when she's being rocked by a swing as opposed to my arms. I don't want to be doing a bad thing if she's just crying on her own but it's so stressful to have to hold a screaming baby.

Let me add that she usually falls asleep or stops crying and is looking around after about 10 minutes of crying.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Diet hasn't changed. Tonight I woke her up at 6:30pm after her nap. I changed her and fed her and burped her. I walked around with her and she just would not stop crying. She was crying for almost 20 minutes which was longer than normal, so I changed her (was barely wet but though that may have contributed), tried to feed her more (rejected the bottle), tried the paci (rejected). So I took off all her clothes except the diaper and tried walking around with her. After about ten minutes of that, she burped a little. After a minute she started screaming again.

I guess I feel guilty because she was screaming like she was in pain but I just could not get her to burp or fart. My husband asked one of his work friends and he told me about a burping position that I hadn't heard of before -- "put a hand on her chest and on her back and just lean her back and forth to try to work some gas up" -- and it worked.

She also definitely didn't get enough sleep last night. That may be part of why it's so bad today. We don't really have a "routine" because I just let her wake when she wants and sleep when she wants and eat when she wants. I don't know if this is bad or if I should try to get her to sleep more. Last night she went to bed for the night at 12:30am after being asleep in her bouncer from like 9pm-11:30pm. She slept from 12:30am-6:00am and then from 6:30-9am, took a nap from 11-1 or so and then from 3:30-6:30. She finally is in the swing, possibly falling asleep. Thanks for your help. Sorry about the wall of text.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can't make her expel gas any more than you can make her pee on schedule. You aren't responsible for her owies, even though it is the worst feeling in the world to have a baby cry and not be able to do anything about it.

If the problem really is intestinal gas, lying the baby on her back and "bicycling" her legs (make her ride an air bicycle with her knees going up to her tummy) may help. Some people with irritable babies have found that putting the baby in a seat on a running dryer may help; others swear by running the vacuum cleaner; mine would sometimes (not always) go to sleep when taken on a car ride.

White noise only seems to work at night, but I'll try out the bicycling thing to see if that helps. Thanks!

Idonie posted:

You do not have PMs, but if this is helpful rather than insanely annoying, let me know & I can give you my email if you want it. I have hopes someday of being an infant sleep coach.

The issue tends to be that if she goes to sleep around 9, she wakes up every 10 minutes and looks around and then goes back to sleep. The swing seems to be a lot more helpful for that since when I bounce her I eventually have to stop since my legs get tired and the swing is more consistent. I'd love to get more advice about this since she's at the stage where she's not sleeping 24/7 but I don't want to feel like I'm forcing her to sleep too much and not stimulating her at all.

car dance
May 12, 2010

I'm sorry your heartburn is so awful. I never had heartburn in my life before I got pregnant and, like Bad Munki's wife, I also never have had it in the two months since my daughter was born. I had it almost every day during my pregnancy and woke up choking on acid a few times. Tums helped somewhat but not much as did Zantac. I think soy milk or almond milk may help also. It's pretty much because it's a thick cold liquid so anything similar you could find. Try liquid antacids too if you haven't. Those helped. Also small meals. I just tried to think positively about it since I knew it would go away once she was born, and it did.

car dance
May 12, 2010

To be honest, I've looked at lot of the lists of what you "need" and "don't need." Some lists are super minimalist that are like "all you need are clothes - just wash the baby in the sink, let them sleep in your bed and you're good." For me, this is what I wouldn't have gotten through the past two months without:

- co sleeper/basinette since it's tiny and portable and I can move it from room to room
- some kind of babycarrier thing, there are a ton but I'd suggest one that converts in to a backpack eventually (the Ergo lasts up to 40lbs!)
- swing or bouncer though I now prefer the swing since I don't have to constantly bounce it
- lots of blankets for swaddling or shielding baby's eyes
- portable changing pad if you leave the house a lot
- for cloth diapering the diaper sprayer
- obviously a carseat but we were stupid and got one that's really only good for the car and isn't really a "carrier" and I wish we had
- bottle brush
- white noise application on my phone (free)
- and to be frank here, the boppy pillow. I know it sounds ridiculous but when I was breastfeeding it was a miracle and now that I'm not I just set her in it when I wanna play with her on the couch and have both arms free. I don't leave her there but I can hold her toys and talk to her and she's propped up. just buy a "naked" one and look for a cheap slipcover on amazon. I managed to get a cover for $5

Lots of lists I've seen have said that the swing/bouncer is pointless because you can just do those things yourself but god drat is it tiring to have to constantly bounce and swing your arms around and sometimes you just need a break. If you get one of these, get one that plugs in to the wall. Craigslist is also great for big things or even clothes. Thrift stores are where I got a lot of her clothes. Amazon has deep discounts sometimes and the best part is the reviews! You will know when something is crappy.

Just wanted to add if anyone is curious that my daughter is sleeping a lot better now that I'm keeping to a kind of schedule with her. The fussiness is pretty much gone. Also it's getting harder to burp her since her legs are getting strong and she pushes back when I try to lean her forward. :3: She has also discovered her tongue. Good times.

car dance
May 12, 2010

I really like the Carters receiving blankets since they're 40x30 instead of the usual 30x30 and I know they're going to fit her longer because of that. They're also nice and light and less than $20 for four of them on amazon.com and in so many prints.

I was also given, as a hand me down, some Baby JaR burp cloths which are really nice but are super expensive. Each one is $12.50 or so. For something that's really only useful as a burp cloth it's kind of too much. However, since my daughter is sleeping 8 hours through the night at only 3 months (it's been glorious) she sometimes leaks through everything and they also are thick and nice enough that they can be used in the cosleeper to prevent wetness from getting on the bed.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben Davis posted:

My little guy's been sleeping like that too, and the Babydry diapers were a lifesaver. It's so nice to be able to let him get solid sleep.

Yeah I think the problem is the fact that we use cloth. Even when we double them up they still soak through. I've been thinking about just switching to some overnight disposables for that time and those look great. Thanks. :)

car dance
May 12, 2010

I know it's a long time away from now, but since my daughter was an emergency c-section and I was really planning on doing a natural birth, I wanted to attempt a VBAC and get that vaginal, natural birth with my second kid when I have him/her in a few years. Does anyone have any experience with that? If so, was it hard to get a hospital to let you and why did you originally have a c-section?

car dance
May 12, 2010

My mom was not happy that I had decided not to circumcise if I had a son. When she found out we were having a girl the first thing she pretty much said was that she was glad there'd be no issue with it. She still has commented on it in case our second, when we have one, is a boy. Our family is culturally Jewish but my mom and I are both atheists. I'm raising my kids without a religious background. My only sibling is another girl so it's not like my mom ever has had to deal with baby penises before.

I have no idea why she's so invested in it. Like, she was actually angry. The other day she brought it up again. My daughter is six months old and we're not even planning on trying for another kid for another year and a half. What is it with this topic?

My mom also was kind of confused that I had chosen not to pierce my daughter's ears until she could ask/consent to having it done. My mom pierced my ears when I was less than 2 years old and I'm not mad about it. I just don't want to make permanent modifications to my kids.

car dance
May 12, 2010

qentiox posted:

Ok. Well I'm getting a little too angsty about all this. I think you need some perspective. Good luck with the beetus. Hope your kid does well.

I hope things with your daughter go well. I remember reading about her in this thread before.

car dance
May 12, 2010

EVG posted:

Here's a question for you gals! What do you do when you don't have a car? I live in Chicago and am happily car-free, relying on our pretty drat great public transit system. When I had to have a minor surgery (or run any errands, or whatever) we simply get a cab or rent a zipcar (by the hour car rental).

This is completely theoretical, but what if I had a baby, and needed to get home from the hospital after giving birth? Would you take brand-new-baby on the train/bus? Hold it in the backseat of the cab (this sounds like it would be dangerous). Or ??

This would be assuming that you don't have, or plan, on buying a car. I guess maybe you'd buy a carseat just for these rare occasions? Seems like an unecessary expense, because I would certainly plan on wearing my babe and feel fine about taking it on public transit with me...

I live in Chicago and do not own a car. The hospital I went to still wouldn't let me leave without a car seat. What we ended up doing was buying a carseat and borrowing my mom's car to take her home in it. We've used it a handful of times since then but 95% of the time are on the train and babywear.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Some women have depression triggered by breastfeeding or pumping. It's not that uncommon and it might be part of what's going on with you. It's not normal though and you should talk to someone in case that is what's happening.

car dance
May 12, 2010

I posted about my emergency c-section in here (I think) a while back because mine wasn't a result of any problem of mine like induction problems or high BP or baby heartrate dipping but because during natural labor I stopped dialating and was stuck at 6cm for 12+ hours. When they cut me open they saw she was transverse and stuck on my hip. It was really frustrating for me because I thought they would have been able to tell or check and understand that was why she wasn't descending.

My mom thinks they made some huge errors in not noticing it and just giving me a c-section. She's told me multiple times that I should have sued the hospital but I think she's a little extreme about it. I don't know if anyone else ended up with a situation like mine but I really, really want to have a natural birth with my second child (not pregnant yet, waiting til my first is at least 18 months to make it even more possible) and I'm worried that something similar will happen again. Am I going to be high risk now? I know it's possible to have a VBAC and I've read a little about it but if anyone here has any experience with it I'd love to know anything that will make it more likely that I can have one. Recovery from the c-section was HORRIBLE and I do not want to go through it again.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Thanks for all the help and stories, everyone. My incision was a bikini one and VERY low and small (my surgeon, as she sewed it up, proclaimed "Man, I did a great job! No one will be able to see this one!") so that's a good sign for me. I'm just going to have to look for an OB who is willing to attempt a VBAC and live with being high risk. As strange as it seems, I feel like just getting another c-section is kind of a defeatist thing for me when I really originally wanted a natural awesome childbirth where I was in full control of everything. I don't think it's bad to have two c-sections or even more, but for me, I really want that experience of natural birth. I'm glad there are women out there who did it! I don't have to worry yet as we're not going to try for at least six months to make sure I'm past that 18 month threshold. But thanks for helping me feel more prepared.

car dance
May 12, 2010

I actually stopped getting headaches while pregnant too! But then a few weeks after my daughter was born I had something new: ocular migraines. I'd never had one before and then I got a bunch of them in a week. I ended up getting some heavy duty stuff and they started coming farther and farther apart as time went on and at 13 months pp I haven't had one in a few months. I'd never had one before and they worked like this: 30 minutes of an ocular disturbance where crazy strobe lasers moved around my vision and weird blind spots and then at EXACTLY 30 minutes every time they stopped and just turned in to normal kill yourself pain. I thought I was dying. But it was all hormones. Yay pregnancy!

car dance
May 12, 2010

Because pregnancy is something a lot of people go through, they see it as a shared experience. This is why Aunt Norma will tell you about all the nice poo poo that happened to her while she was pregnant. However, each person (and each pregnancy) is so different that the only thing you might have in common is that a human came out of your body in some way.

I know my mom had the easiest pregnancies wrt both labor and breastfeeding and I spent my whole pregnancy thinking it would be like that but I ended up with morning sickness and awful heartburn and a transverse baby who was an emergency C-section and a swollen leg that put me back in the hospital and ocular migraines and she was jaundiced and I couldn't even breastfeed. I felt like such a failure for that first six months and it was hard to get attached to her. Now she's 18 months old, my body is completely healed and I'm back to (almost less than!) my prepregnancy weight and she laughs and plays and eats normal food and is starting to talk and we can take her places and do things.

So what I'm trying to say is that any birth/baby experience is pretty normal, from the obsessive crunchy mom to the one who thinks breastfeeding is gross. The only time you should worry about it not being normal is if you personally are worried, not if someone else is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

car dance
May 12, 2010

Conversely, having a kid and getting no sleep when they are infants leads to having a 2 year old who sleeps through the night and a bunch of friends without kids wondering how you can stay up to 4:30am partying, sleep for 1.5 hours, and then go to work at 6am without batting an eye. It's like a new super power. I'm 30 and can stay up longer than I could at 25.