Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

McStabby posted:

Amazon lets you add items from other websites as well. They even have an add-on for Firefox that will add the item to your registry when you click it.

Amazon has a universal wishlist button for Chrome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Aagar posted:

That's funny - we had a lot of trouble with Huggies as well (and they were the ones we pinched from the hospital on the way out). For a while we had Aidan in Huggies (we had so many) and Liam in Pampers because Liam leaked every single time. Two weeks ago, going to size 2, they both leaked in the Huggies, so now they both have Pampers. Hopefully when they get a bit bigger the Huggies will fit (because we have two diaper cakes and a box of size-2 Huggies).

So yeah, like Miss Shell said just experiment - you'll find one pretty quick that will work. And then it will stop working, and the experiment begins again. ;)

How funny, my Liam can only wear Huggies or Fisher Price, Pampers are like not bothering to put diapers on him at all. He just pees straight out the leg.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My pregnancy with Liam was really complicated, so we had constant ultrasounds. The day I was induced, he was estimated to be 3lbs. He was actually 4.1 lbs. One the one hand, it's only a pound difference, but on the other it's off by a quarter of his body weight.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

DaemonWyrm posted:

Anyone have any advice on diaper pail brands?

Every diaper pail has a smell, particularly after the kids start eating solids. The only way to keep the smell at bay is to empty it frequently. I don't really have a specific recommendation other than to save yourself some cash and get one that uses regular kitchen garbage bags, rather than some sort of cartridge or insert system.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Fire In The Disco posted:

We have two 13 gallon trash cans, the kind with pedals to step on to open the lids. One gets regular trash bags for trash and the other gets one of the two diaper pail liners we use for clothes and cloth diapers.

When we use disposables, the one that holds the trash gets stinkier way faster than the cloth one. I'm not entirely certain why that is, but there you go. Also, on the subject of washable pail liners, I hate the one that I have that is elasticized at the top. It's too loving hard to get the diapers out of it and into the washer without touching them. I love my drawstring one (I believe it's Thirsties brand) and next time around I'll probably trash the elastic one and get a second drawstring.

Why don't you cut the elastic and replace it with a drawstring?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Randomity posted:

Diaper pail discussion -- We have two of these, and we really like them. They use regular trash bags. They're kinda small, I guess, and at the beginning when the diaper changing was neverending we would have to change the bag daily, but now it's no big deal. The only problem I've encountered is that they are extremely top heavy, and won't stay up on their own when open and empty (while changing the bag), but that's easily remedied by putting them right in front of something and letting the top lean against it (like a dresser or a wall). Other than that though, the fact that they use regular trash bags, don't smell at all(yet -- we haven't started solids, though), and are sturdily built make them excellent diaper pails, in my opinion.

I started with one of those. It worked great for about the first 2 years. After that, it just seemed like stink had sort of seeped into the plastic so it was sort of smelly. Also, at a certain point your kid figures out how to put things in the top and flip it to make it magically disappear and you have to start fishing action figures out of the damned thing. It seemed like he found it WAY more interesting to put things in that than to put things in a regular trash can.

We ended up switching to a regular kitchen trash can with a push button lid and we were emptying it maybe twice a week. Then, since Liam's room is right near the front door anyway, I stuck it right outside the door and now I only empty it on trash night.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

foxatee posted:

IIRC, everyone went hog wild for the moby wrap. Are there any other carriers out there I should consider?

Also, is it worth it to have a changing table? We were thinking of just getting the changing pad instead of spending :megabux: on a whole table. Are we being needlessly frugal?

My husband's cousin's wife highly recommended we get a Boppy and a bebePod. Does anyone own these? Exactly how useful are they? Reviews seem to be great, but again: we'd rather not buy unnecessary items.

====

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. We'll see if my blood pressure has gone down. Hopefully Peanut is okay in there. :ohdear:

A changing table is not necessary. We had one because my mom's friend's daughter was upgrading her nursery into a big kid room and gave us theirs. We didn't use it for the first 8 or nine months at all - I just kept a basket with diapers, cream & wipes in the living room and changed him on the couch or floor or wherever I was. I started using the changing table when he got mobile enough to get the basket of changing supplies and fling its contents around the house. I only used it for about 2 months before he figured out that it was a gigantic ladder in his room. Then I got rid of it (actually, I shoved it in his closet to use as shelving). I ended up buying a dresser that will work for him until adulthood and putting the changing pad on top of that. So no, you totally do not need a changing table.

Boppys are really popular for breastfeeding comfort. They're are also nice for propping the baby up for pictures or draping them over, facedown for a bit of tummy action. There's tons of cheaper versions out there, you don't need to pay for the brand name if you don't want to. But yeah, I consider a boppy-type thing to be pretty necessary. Aids in your comfort while feeding (breast or bottle) and has other uses. Liam still has his and uses it at almost 4 years old, I catch him lounging on the floor with it as a pillow while he plays with toys. I recommend getting a spare cover for it, so you can switch covers and wash the one that just got puked on.

As for the BebePod, it's basically the same as a Bumbo seat. You aren't going to use it with a newborn, so don't bother getting one now (unless you're desperately searching for things to put on your registry). I'd say they're really unnecessary. They are very popular and they're great for propping your kid in to take pictures of them, but it's like 30 bucks for a piece of equipment you're going to put your kid in for less than 20 minutes a day for a few weeks, maybe even 2 months and then they're done with it. The tray seems like a good idea, but in practice my kid just flung everything off it and then was pissed because he couldn't reach to get his toys back. Once they can sit up for themselves, they generally don't want to be in the Bumbo/BebePod because it reduces their mobility - they can't just crawl three feet to the next toy.

Of course the next post will be someone swearing that they couldn't live without their bebePod and boppys are totally useless, so take everything with a grain of salt. What works for one person just doesn't do a damned thing for the next.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Braksgirl posted:

On a different subject, I just kind of jumped in here but is it better form for me to introduce myself? I'm kind of new to the SA forums and I'm not sure what the protocol is.

Nah, just join us on the facebook group and introduce yourself there - info is in the OP.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Greycious posted:

I was also thinking of buying some slightly large sized clothing, like 9-18months. I figure she's probably getting tons of clothing already in smaller sizes and might like to get some stuff for future use, is this a good idea?

I don't really have any book recommendations, cause I'm super obsessive and all y books were technical and overinvolved.

I definitely approve of the larger sized clothing. You tend to get huge amounts of newborn through size 3 or 6 months given to you at showers, way more than one baby can ever wear before they grow out of them. I had several relatives with young children give me an array of sizes and I loved it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Target now carries a budget Bravado line in stores called Basics by Bravado. They have a bra that's very similar to the one FITD just linked, but a bit cheaper and you can try it on in store. There's a nice nursing camisole in the Basics By Bravado line as well. The main difference I see between the Bravado line and the Basics by Bravado line is that the Basics ones seem a little thinner and a bit stretchier. Also, they don't have to Uber PLUS PLUS size that Bravado has, but due to the increased stretchiness, I haven't found it to be a problem that I'm wearing one size smaller. My kid is almost 4 and hasn't nursed in over 3 years, and I'm wearing a nursing bra right now. So comfy.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I'm reading that as she's 6 weeks pregnant, not 6 weeks postpartum. In that case, it still depends. Has she had any spotting? A history of pregnancy loss? A sort of funky-ish test result? There's all sorts of reasons for being told to not have sex. 12 weeks is a sort of magic number for miscarriage, your odds of spontaneous miscarriage just drop through the floor if you make it to 12. I got an order of "nothing enters your vagina." at about 14 weeks, which lasted until birth due to having lots of complications and a poo poo history with pregnancy. Fun, huh?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's entirely possible that I still live in yoga pants now, a year postpartum. :blush:

I also live in the desert aka the surface of the sun.

Liam's almost 4 and I'm still wearing nursing bras and maternity tops. I'd be wearing the pants too if they didn't fall off me all the time. I'm too cheap to buy new clothes, all my monies go to my kid.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 14, 2011

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

vanessa posted:

Any advice on how to bring it up while managing to keep her scenes to a minimum?

Just tell her how you feel about it. Tell her that you would appreciate it if she would respect your wishes about your loss and keep things low key. If she starts getting carried away, just tell her she's actually making it WORSE for you. This is your loss, your grief, not hers.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Imperialist Dog posted:

We're concerned about the size, too; at first it was about 1cm long but now it's a little over 3cm in length. My wife is very apprehensive about this apparent hernia size increase.
Definitely speak to your pediatrician about the apparent increase in size. It may actually just be due to his growth, but it can't hurt to ask. The doctor will want to keep an eye on it, because even though an umbilical hernia can and usually does go away on its own, there are situations in which the doctor may want to consider intervention early.

As for banding it with a coin, just tell the relatives that the doctor said no.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Check with your local hospital before you buy a pump. Most hospitals will rent you a pump, and mine also had a health supplies store where they sold pumps. I ended up with an Ameda Purely Yours double electric (which I loved), because the hospital pumps were the same brand, so I got free collection bottles and tubing from pumping while in the hospital (extra tubing and collection bottles really add up - I ended up with like 6 sets for free).

The bottles that you end up using really depend on personal preference and your baby's preference. You will have some time to make a decision on that before you stock up, since you're usually recommended to not introduce a bottle until about a month in to breastfeeding. I agree with Fire In The Disco on the formula thing - it takes 10 minutes for someone to run to the store and buy formula if you REALLY need some, but breastfeeding can be really hard and frustrating at first and if it's right there in the kitchen, it would be really easy just say "just gently caress it, I'll try tomorrow, get the formula" and then you're just sabotaging yourself.

As for your sister-in-law, just tell her how sorry you are for her loss. Hearing things like "I don't know what to say, I'm just so sorry" is exactly what she needs to hear. I appreciated that a lot more than people pretending they knew what to say or they knew what I was feeling. Whatever you say, don't tell her she can try again soon, or have another - she doesn't want "another", she wants the one she just lost. Let her lead on how much contact she wants to have with you - it may hurt to see you, but it may also help her. I lost friends when my son was stillborn because anyone who just avoided me without even asking if I wanted them to stay away can just gently caress right off out of the rest of my life too - I needed support and love and they took away my choice of how I got it (as if I hadn't already had enough taken away at that point, right?) by just absenting themselves from it. Yeah, seeing their children would have been hard, but not seeing them at all felt like I was being ostracized.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My son shares his name with Tori Spelling's kid and no one has ever mentioned it to me. I think I've only had 3 people in his entire life even manage to equate his name to "oh, isn't there some actor named that?" (Liam Neeson - yeah, totally obscure, right?) In the US, the Beckhams are pretty low on the celebrity totem pole, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you live someplace where the Beckhams are like celebrity royalty. Honestly, I think the only way you really need to worry about using a celebrity baby name is if you're using one of the hosed up weird ones, like Gwyneth Paltrow or Rob Morrow's baby names...in which case I wouldn't really think "Oh, they copied a celebrity name", I'd be thinking "Oh, they named their kid something really loving stupid. Poor kid."

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My friend just had her 10 week ultrasound and there was no heartbeat :( She and her husband had been trying for almost a year before she got pregnant, too, and they were really excited. They're also about to move (like, in 2 weeks) to a new town, 4 hours from their family & perhaps 6 from all their friends where I am. So they'll be in a new place, with new jobs, without local friends & family. I can't even imagine how hard this is going to be for them.

I guess I would like any input on how I can help or what I can say. I think the answer is just be willing to listen and not pushy about spending time together (They seem to want to be left alone for the time being, so I haven't even responded to the email they sent to me & our other friends with the news...).

The best response is the most honest. I'm so sorry, I can't express it. I don't know what to say, but I'm here for you if you want to cry or rage or whatever...

Respond to their email, and check in with them frequently in the coming weeks and months in just a sort of "I'm thinking of you, let me know if you need or want anything" kind of way. It isn't pushy to send an email saying you're there for them. I wasn't really up to being around people for a while after my son was stillborn, but I did appreciate people sending flowers, cards, and emails telling me they were thinking of us.

I would definitely avoid any kind of overly optimistic response. Hearing people say things like "You can always try again" and "One day you'll have another baby." was INCREDIBLY painful and felt like I was being punched in the stomach. I didn't want to try again, and I certainly didn't want another baby, I wanted THAT ONE.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Amykinz posted:

I did get a gift for my niece today, as I've always planned to, and I told my sister the whole situation when she texted me. She's known of our insurance difficulties and my work hours/exhaustion. She "felt bad for *niece*" even though she's "too young to understand why auntie didn't get her a gift".

She's also too young to understand THAT auntie didn't get her a gift for her party, unless her mother went out of her way to tell her. She's two. She had a party. There were lots of presents. It was all totally overwhelming and she didn't have a loving CLUE of what was going on or who gave her what. Giving her a gift separately, away from the party, is what will actually make it special anyway. It's a total rear end in a top hat move to make a two year old's birthday gift into a THING, particularly when it comes down to you providing a 3 or 4 hour window in which the gift is supposed to be given. I mean, JESUS, you have to be willing to give people at least a few days afterwards to get their poo poo together and go "Oh crap, life ran away with me and I REALLY need to get that thing bought/wrapped/into the mail.", particularly if you didn't bother to plan the party and make sure everyone knew about it more than 3 days prior to it occurring.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Doom Catcher posted:

So. Cloth diapers.
There are too many choices. Also they are not cheap upfront, but I'm ok with that as they will save us in the long run.

I just have no idea where to start in picking. And nobody I know in real life even knows that cloth diapers are an option.

I am about to get a washer and dryer (yay!!!) so I'd much rather have a stash instead of a service ... Though to be honest the local place is pennies compared to what I'd spend monthly in disposables soooooo

If you're interested in doing prefolds with covers, your local service may be a great place to start. I bought all my prefolds from a local service. They sell used diapers for next to nothing when they are perfectly serviceable but for whatever reason no longer usable for the service (like staining or a tiny little wear spot or they just "look old"). Plus, I got the benefit of not having to wash them 5 or 6 times before use to soften them up and get them really absorbent.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

FretforyourLatte posted:

Any advice on the nighttime leg cramps? Last night I swear I was up every hour or so, between getting up to pee and awful cramps in my legs. I already sleep with a body pillow and that's helped the general discomfort but this crap is terrible. I can get them to stop when they start by stretching but they keep coming back several times a night. Now today all my leg muscles are sore from locking up all night. :( And I still have almost four months to go.

Try upping your calcium intake. I ended up going with a calcium supplement about midway through my pregnancy and my leg cramps totally went away.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Amykinz posted:

I'm at 30 weeks now, and have a molar that is hurting badly. It's infected and needs to be pulled. I'm concerned about the risks of getting the tooth pulled (x-rays, novicaine, pain relief after the extraction), but the pain is really bad and I can't sleep or eat, and an infection could cause problems for me and the baby. Which is the better option, take the risks of the extraction, or 'deal' with the pain and infection until the baby is born?

Everyone says, "oh, just ask your OB". I am poor, I have to go to a practice of doctors. The doctor walks in, and asks me how I think the pregnancy is going while they read my chart, then they listen to the heartbeat and measure me and send me on my way. I don't have "my doctor" and there is no advice nurse to call and ask questions. I'm about at my wits end, here guys.
Ask the dentist what his opinion is, he'll be well aware of the restrictions of pregnancy. Either way, do NOT just deal with the infection, at the very least you need to get antibiotics for it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Birth pictures. We have none. My husband took them, I have no idea what I looked like but I know Liam looked amazing. Then he went home and put them on the computer and deleted them from the camera. He didn't upload them anywhere and he didn't back them up, because he was in a hurry to get back to the hospital. At some point in the next 3 days, the hard drive basically completely imploded and we lost everything, totally unrecoverable. I would kill for those pictures, because Liam ended up being in NICU for 29 days, I don't have another picture of anyone HOLDING him until he was more than a week old because he was just too loving sick and weak. gently caress how you look, take the pictures.
Just thinking about how we don't have them, the documentation of those precious 5 minutes when it was just me and my husband and Liam and no one else in the whole world, before Liam became a patient and I became a visitor, it breaks my heart that we don't have them.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I'm very sorry JBark. Take care of yourselves as best you can.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I am also in the US (California to be exact). I had a hospital birth. I was told not to push until my body made me. Once that started, the midwife, nurses, and perinatalogist (very complicated pregnancy, 6 weeks premature, had to have the specialists there!) basically just stood around and told me I was doing a great job while I controlled everything. I pushed because my body told me to, I stopped when I wanted. Also, I had an epidural and still had that amount of control, no one told me when or how to push.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I am very sorry for your loss, Legbeard. I know how heartbreaking it is. Be strong for Aurora, but remember to let yourself grieve for River as well, for your own well being. Congratulations, Aurora is so big! I hope she's the rockstar of the NICU and clears out of there quick - it kind of sucks there and home is way better.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Here's a subject which may be a little emotionally charged, but one I've been pondering a lot today. What are people's rules regarding smokers holding their newborns? Our midwife told us to make them wear an extra layer when they go out to smoke which they remove when they come in and to then wash their hands.

From some of the reading I've been doing regarding recent studies on third-hand smoke I'm wondering if this is enough. It seems the residue can get in skin and hair, and be sweated out as well as transferred through breath. Furthermore it seems that it can remain in these places a long time. I only have two smoking family members (aunt and brother) and I'm tempted to tell them not to smoke at all that day before holding my daughter, and if they do to shower and change their clothes completely. I know that this may well seem new parent OTT behaviour, though. I've seen arguments that the pollution in the air in cities is probably worse, and it's difficult to determine where a fair line should be drawn between reasonable requests and being a bit of a nazi, though I'm happy to assert any rules if I truly feel they will make an appreciable difference to any health risks to my daughter.

If this has been discussed ad nauseam then apologies.

I am also going to respond to this late. My son was a preemie. He was born at 34 weeks weighing 4lbs. His lungs were underdeveloped, so they had to give him lung surfactant and have him on oxygen for the first few days of life. That gave him a pneumothorax (hole in his lung), for which he needed a chest tube to reinflate his lung and allow healing and he ended up being on oxygen and then room-air through a nasal cannula for the next 2 weeks. So needless to say, my son was branded a child with lung and breathing problems for the first 6 months of his life. When we left NICU, I was given the following instructions by his pulmunologist:
No one smokes around him.

Any smokers who handle him must wash their hands (and as much exposed skin as possible, really) after smoking and before handling the baby. This was redundant, as we were basically told EVERYONE should wash their hands before holding him, at least for the first couple of months when he was still really medically fragile.

If smokers will be kissing on him, they must wash their face before doing so.

Any smokers should change their shirt after smoking and before holding him.

We didn't have any family who smoked, but we did have a close friend who did. I just kept an oversize tshirt ready for her, so when she got to the house, she had to wash her hands and face really well and then change into the clean shirt for baby visits. She also brought a toothbrush over and kept it in our guest bathroom and she would brush her teeth before seeing the baby, because it made her and I feel more comfortable.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
2 successful inductions here. You do know that pitocin is not the only option, right? My first induction was with cervidil and I progressed into labor and birth just fine with no further intervention. The second induction was with cervidil and when that didn't work we fell back on pitocin. He shot out like a rocket after that. My doctor never even mentioned c-section other than as one option that was really far away but if things went wrong it may be considered.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ben Davis posted:

I always slept the same way and I got a Leachco Snoogle and love it--I can't even see going to sleep without it after the baby comes. I can yank it around so I'm completely enclosed and the back support is good enough that it's like leaning against my husband without all the horrible extra heat. It's so nice to be able to flip over 4 or 5 times a night without much rearranging, just a quick yank on the bottom part since I like to be cuddled by it. The downside is that the fabric is kind of cheap and pills up really quickly, but you can always slip a regular pillowcase over where your head goes so at least you don't feel it on your skin. Oh, and any pillow heats you up a little when you're surrounded by it, but I just stick to summer pjs and I'm fine.

Just an FYI, they make pillowcases for the Snoogle. I also loved my Snoogle but my husband HATED it. He said I was using it as a weapon against him to hog more of the bed. I totally was. Whatever, he's the one who knocked me up, concessions had to be made.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sarsaparilla posted:

My Boppy was my best friend in the Hospital. I agree with skipping the showering supplies. You are NOT going to feel like a shower in the hospital after surgery/birth.
I brought my pillow from home too and was really happy with it. They do provide hospital pillows, but they are flat and annoying - I was so much happier with mine.

Definitely bring snacks. The hospital will feed you but I found that I was only awake during the night time (labor got my schedule all screwed up). So the caf was closed and the food they brought was cold by the time I got to it.

I couldn't WAIT to take a shower after giving birth. I did not bring a towel from home and the hospital towels were small and scratchy and awful. I will DEFINITELY bring a nice fluffy big towel if I have another baby. I didn't really care about not having my own shampoo or anything like that, but MAN, WHY DIDN'T I BRING A TOWEL?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Axiem posted:

So you just dealt with having to clean a bloody towel, I guess?

I didn't keep bleeding so much that I bloodied up a towel in the time it took me to turn off the shower and dry myself. It's not like there's a blood firehose up there or anything. It was heavier than a normal period, but reasonable enough that my towels were safe. Besides, even if she does get blood on a towel, you can either throw it away (buy one specifically for this purpose maybe?) or wash it with all the underwear she's going to be leaking onto - maternity pads help, but there's going to be some collateral damage in the first few days.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Eia posted:

The hospital I birthed at gave me endless enormous maternity pads, plus the first day they gave me coldpacks and mesh panties that were very soothing.

Yeah, my hospital also provided mesh panties and enormous maternity pads. I bought a pack of Depends pads for after I got home, but I think they were a waste. I only used a few of them and then I had this giant open pack of Depends pads I didn't need. I could have easily just used super maxi pads and changed them frequently (and they crammed me so full of fluids while I was in the hospital that I was in the bathroom anyway to pee every hour for a few days, so maxi pads would have worked anyway.) Man, I loved those mesh panties tho. They also sent me home with Dermoplast spray and witchhazel pads for soothing the area - I had no tearing but I had one hell of a friction burn from the nurse/doctor's exam gloves during the actual birth.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My OB put me on the minipill at my 6 week postpartum checkup, when she cleared me for sexual activity again. It did not affect my milk supply at all.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My cats were both obsessed with the baby's equipment. They slept in the crib, the stroller, the bouncy chair. Then the baby showed up and they kept a nice wide berth. My son is 4 and a half years old and one of them still avoids him. The other one warmed up to him really quickly and wanted to be near him a lot - if I was there. She wanted nothing to do with him during sleep time, he was only fun when he was awake. The two of them still spent a lot of time hanging out in his equipment and stuff, but only when he wasn't near it. I think his noises and unpredictable movements made them a little leery.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Also, I'm curious about tummy time. When do you guys do it? For how long? How do you keep them engaged instead of getting frustrated and crying?

My husband and I would lay on our backs either on the couch or the floor and put Liam on our chest so he could look at our faces for his tummy time. He just raged out if we tried to do it any other way and got no benefit from it because he just rolled into a little ball of screaming fury. His pediatrician and neonatalogist both told me the chest tummy time was just as effective.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Prolonged Shame posted:

My main concern when looking for a pediatrician was finding someone who does not accept unvaccinated patients (barring the occasional kid who is truly allergic to vaccines). We also asked about same-day appointment policies, after hour policies (ie is there a nurse on call or should I just go straight to the urgent care). If you can find someone with both sick and well patient waiting rooms that is a bonus, though something of a rarity around here.

You may also want to discuss with them your intentions as to breastfeeding and sleeping arrangements. It can be frustrating dealing with a pediatrician who is pushing solids early or anti co-sleeping if that's how you intend to parent, because you can never really be sure if they are allowing their personal feelings color their medical advice.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My Liam was chill as hell in the womb. He pretty much hasn't stopped moving since birth. He is a seriously high-energy kid (and a climber, ffffuuuuuuck).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Cathis posted:

I miss caffeine.
This is the part that's supposed to go away (largely) in the 2nd trimester, right?
I mean, other than the not-sleeping parts of the 3rd trimester and the rest of my life.

Also, on a wholly unrelated (and very in-advance) note: My boss was totally vehement about one brand of diapers being way better than the other brand (huggies vs pampers and damned if I can remember which). Is there really that much of a difference, or is it a pepsi/coke thing?

It's more that every baby is shaped differently and what works on one kid is like letting another one go commando. I have a niece who is a Pampers baby, when she's in Huggies she's just pissing down her leg all day. My kid is the opposite: Huggies are the wonder-diaper for him, Pampers do nothing to stop the firehose. He also does well in one of the generics, so I can buy those to stop-gap if I run low (which I almost never do because Amazon auto-ships them every month, with an auto-delivery discount - hells yeah, Amazon Moms program!) Just be ready to try different brands until you find what works for your kid.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Mnemosyne posted:

I know that there's free carseat checking basically everywhere (Babies R Us does it, any police station is supposed to do it), and isn't the hospital required to check your carseat before they release you with the baby anyway? I seriously cannot figure out what's going on with the carseat class.

It really depends where you live whether they have to check your car seat installation. I live in California, I was required to bring the bucket part of the car seat in to the hospital before leaving just to prove we had one, but no one went to my car to see that the base was installed properly or that we put the bucket on the base correctly. (Ironically enough, my child was in NICU for a month and I was required to bring the car seat in for a "car seat test" - your baby sits in the car seat for an hour with a pulse-ox monitor and apnea monitor on and cannot experience significant drops in blood oxygen levels or apnic episodes in that time in order to get out of NICU). I was required to sign a form saying I understood car seats were important and that I promised I used one with him every single time I took him to the doctor for the first 2 or 3 years of his life. I have a cousin who lives in New Jersey who was required to bring in a form completed by her local police department certifying that they had checked the installation and it was correct (her husband's a cop, he was not allowed to sign it himself). I don't know if that is a state law in NJ or if it's just her hospital's policy.

I took my car to AAA for them to check the installation, they have a certified child passenger safety specialist who comes in to do their installation checks for them. Firestations can also do it, I believe they have certified personnel as well. I would probably not take it to Babies R Us unless they could show me certifications from whoever is doing their checks - I've experienced quite a bit of incompetence from far too many of their staff members to take it on faith that they know what the hell they are doing when it comes to my child's safety.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Axiem posted:

We finally got our pack-and-play, now that we're barreling down on the baby coming. To air it out a little (and make sure it was put together), we set it up in the living room--but now, the cat has determined that she very much likes curling up in the nice, soft bottom of it.

My wife and I are kind of uncertain if this is okay or not. Do we need to worry about the cat jumping in there, even after the baby comes? Should we keep the cat out? Or am I just worrying about stuff that isn't that important?

My cats were obsessed with all the baby stuff. "OH MY GOD, YOU BOUGHT ME A LITTLE BOUNCY CHAIR? THANK YOU! OOH! A STROLLER...FOR ME?" They loved to curl up and sleep in all of his stuff, right up until he was in it. They'd wander over, see him in there and just head for a different piece of equipment to curl up in. The only reason I'd worry about keeping the cats out of baby stuff is if they have inappropriate urination issues or puke a lot (It's the baby's job to cover everything in pee and vomit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I was a big fan of Bravado nursing bras (I am an E cup normally, went up to a G/H when lactating). Target carried a budget line of Bravado in store, they are were not quite as good as the non-budget version of Bravado, but much cheaper. Don't know if they still have them, a quick check of Target's website shows only the pricey ones ($49.00) per bra. You might want to check in stores, I remember them being about $20-25 each.

Medela lanolin has additives to make it easier to apply (or at least it did 3 years ago when I was in the lanolin-buying years). I preferred the Lansinoh brand, it's 100% lanolin. If you rub it between your palms or fingers for a bit, it softens up and becomes really easy to smear on.

I'd agree with renting a pump, at least for the first month. You can always make a determination to buy one later, or you may find that you aren't using it enough to make it worth your while to buy a double electric and save yourself some money in the long run.