Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Regarding cats and gates, my kid is a super crazy climber and can vault a standard baby gate in like .2 seconds, so we upgraded the gate on our bedroom door (our room is kid free so the cats have a safe zone when they want it) to a gate intended for large dogs. It is 44" tall. I put a shortish (like 32") cat tower just inside the gate so they could learn how to jump something that high. It took them like two tries to go from "oh god, too high, my world is ending" to "watch this, I don't need your cat tower training wheels."
For the record, they are 14 and 13 years old, not overweight and with no known orthopedic issues. If they had mobility problems, I would probably install a cat door in my bedroom door and just keep it closed during the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
We use All Free and Clear, not a baby detergent, and just wash normally. We never had a problem.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Greycious posted:

What are the chances of getting false positive like that? Especially after taking two tests of different brands/types?

False positives are incredibly rare. Two different brands both say positive - you're pregnant.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
When I was pregnant, a very good friend of ours' dad was in the process of dying of cancer. I got a call at 8am one morning to let us know that he had passed at home. I asked if I could do anything or bring anything and our friend asked me to bring over a carton of cigarettes and some liquor, because people kept showing up at the house and everyone was bringing food but he and his mom just wanted a drink. Let me tell you, there's nothing quite like being the pregnant lady at Costco, buying $200 worth of nothing but cigarettes and hard alcohol at opening time.

Daemoxx: I never used the little changing thing that came with our pack and play. I just changed him on the couch, the floor, or the bed, depending on where I happened to be when he needed a change. Eventually I got one of those pads that goes on a changing table and just put it on top of his dresser and used that as his changing table (it happened to be the right height for me).

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 25, 2012

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Fo3 posted:

Extremely disjointed relating of ongoing struggle with girlfriend's PPD treatment
I have to ask, is English your second language? Because I am having a very difficult time parsing what is actually going on and I can't tell if it there is a language barrier or if you've just got some seriously disordered thinking going on.

Your girlfriend is being treated for anxiety disorders and PPD in an inpatient facility, correct? She was released for one night and you were resentful that she didn't coparent as a completely healthy partner would? Now she's rehospitalized and you're to join her for family therapy and learning to work together to overcome her PPD and develop strategies to coparent, and you're looking at this as punishment and an opportunity for "them" to victimize or persecute you? Your attitude is frankly quite frightening. There's a level of paranoia and resentfulness in your posts that is really REALLY not healthy. I certainly hope you are seeking treatment yourself, because I am truly worried for the well-being of you, your girlfriend, and your child.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

SassySally posted:

Ben is getting his 2 month shots tomorrow. I've heard about nursing during the shots for pain relief since we don't want to give him meds. When I asked at the doctor's office, they said they don't allow it because of the risk of aspirating. (I hadn't thought of that.) I have to get the shots at the health department where the nurse said it may be allowed. Did any of you do it? Any success? Is the risk too high?

The shots always took less than 5 seconds, no matter now many he needed. The nurse would have them all ready and then just bam, bam, bam, DONE. Then I'd pick him up and start soothing, generally before he even had a chance to react.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sheri posted:

Told a lot of our family this weekend-- my mom I'm afraid is soon going to shift into "crazy grandmother overdrive" mode.

Are there any good books or resources I can point her to that nicely convey "yes, I know you are excited about becoming a grandma after you have been nagging me about having kids for the past 8 years, but your daughter and her husband have their own ideas about how to care for and raise their child and you need to be supportive of that".

I pretty much just said the words to her. Something along the lines of "I know that you're excited to be a grandma, but please remember that you are a GRANDMA. You made your parenting decisions, and I think based on how we turned out, that you made pretty good ones. Now please let me make mine, which may or may not be the same ones you made. You know that I am an intelligent, caring human being (after all, you raised me), so now it's time to let me take the lead." She needed some reminding from time to time (hell, he's 5 and she still occasionally needs reminding), but she does respect my choices.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Just want to chime in on the last name issue. I did not change my last name when I got married (cause frankly I don't like my husband's last name, it's hard to spell and hard to pronounce, and mine is just better anyway). We discussed the children-naming issue long ago and decided that any boy children will have my last name for a middle name and their father's last name for a last name, and girls would be reversed so they'd have his last name for a middle name (sorry about the ugly middle name, imaginary girl-child), and my last name for their last. It's working for us.

My mother has a very close friend who is a lawyer, and the woman has offered to help me legally change my name several times because she contends that it will be "SO HARD ON LIAM" if I don't have the same last name as he, particularly once he hits school. I think she's living in another era, because he's in kindergarten now at at least 1/3 of the kids in his class don't share a last name with one of their parents due to divorce, remarriage, or never getting married in the first place. It's just not an issue to the kids.

As for any "confusion" over naming when it comes to official things such as doctors, schools, etc., it's not an issue. I sometimes get called Mrs. XXXX(his last name), but I know who they are referring to, and in my case it is technically correct. I just answer up - sometimes I correct them, if it is a relationship that is likely to be long-term, other times if it's a one-off type of office visit, I just let it go.

I drove to Canada with our son this summer, just handed the Canadian border agent my passport and his, and he just did his thing and handed them back, no problem. Never even asked how the kid was related to me. Same with returning to the US, no one even blinked an eye. It's just so common now that people do not share a name with their children.

As for the first name issue, when we decided on Liam's name, my husband's best friend told him "oh wow, that's the name we wanted to use if we ever have a boy." to which my husband responded "Well, guess you should have gotten your wife pregnant first, huh?" They ended up getting having a girl a year or so later and do not plan on having another, so it's a moot point, but if they did have a boy, they likely would have used the name. We like it, they like it, and it's just a word.

My Liam isn't like any other Liam in the world - someone else using those 4 letters in that order doesn't take *anything* away from him. I really think once you actually have the baby and it's not just theoretical, the whole thing becomes a bit clearer. Until the baby is born, you don't have much else to hold onto that is his/hers alone, so you can tend to get a bit defensive on the name.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
There are at least 4 goon babies named Liam that I can think of off the top of my head. It's a good name. :)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chickalicious posted:

I highly recommend packing towels for you and your partner (if he showers at the hospital). Hospital towels are about the size of a postage stamp and scratchy as hell.

Seriously. I swear to christ, my dish scrubbers at home are larger and softer than the towels they expect you to use in the hospital. I just had a baby, and you want me to dry my abused body with this horror? I think not.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
The year before Liam was born, I had a stillborn son. When I was pregnant with Liam, I basically felt like I was going through the motions the entire time. Like "I do these things and then at the end, I have labor and then I go home with no baby." I was generally hiding those feelings other than from my husband, pretending to the world that I was feeling all the "normal" feelings of pregnancy. Then during one appointment at some point early in my second trimester, my perinatalogist sat down and told me "It is ok to not feel attached to this pregnancy. It is normal. If you are feeling that way, you don't have to pretend, not here. That is a normal, I won't think badly of you or think you will be a bad mother. It is your brain trying to protect you from further pain and it is perfectly ok. You are safe here." It was like an enormous weight was lifted off me, to know that it was ok. So for what it's worth, there is no "right way" to feel about your pregnancy.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Thank you :)

And sorry to hear of the loss of your son, I can't even imagine how painful that would be. Getting hung up on an early miscarriage when I have 3 healthy children and knowing that some other people go through so much worse feels so petty.

It isn't petty though. You had hopes and dreams for that baby, just as much as you do for your other three children. You have a right to grieve for that loss.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ratatozsk posted:

Speaking on the subject of post-partum recovery and healing, my wife had great results with frozen witch hazel pads. As earthy and non-sciency as they sound, we found them recommended on the Mayo Clinic's website, and they worked wonders.

I was sent home from the hospital with a can of Dermoplast and 2 containers of witch hazel pads. Even at room temp, they feel really cool and soothing. I remember a few times I just lined my underwear with them and wore them around.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sheri posted:

Just a random thing I have been noticing about myself-- I haven't been sick, overly tired, or any of the 'bad' pregnancy symptoms yet (I'm 18 weeks today).

However, some things that I used to LOVE now just taste atrocious to me. I am convinced they are spoiled or bad but my husband tries them and says they taste the same as normal (for instance, I LOVE cranberry splash sierra mist but if I try to drink it now it tastes mostly like vomit).

Anyway else have weird things like this happen? How bizarre! I can only assume it is pregnancy related, just never something I thought would happen.

That's reasonably common. It's also pretty common to suddenly really love something that you would normally find gross. My sister-in-laww gags at even the smell of sour cream, but she spent her entire second pregnancy practically guzzling the stuff. It wasn't a craving, it just suddenly tasted amazing to her.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

CravingSolace posted:

Also, for any military moms, aside from Skype is there any way for me to make sure my husband feels involved in my son's life while he's deployed? He's really scared that our baby won't remember him when he gets back and it breaks my heart. :(

Also, I'm looking into moving into base housing when he comes back and going to some base get-togethers to meet some other spouses. The nearest base by his parent's house is Luke, but that's over an hour away, so I'll wait until I get back to start meeting some other people.

Pictures. TONS of pictures. Have him record videos and audios for your baby to listen to and watch when Skype isn't convenient. Recordable books too - my son loves the one from Hallmark that his Gran sent him (once your child is old enough to become a button pusher, I recommend taping a penny over the buttons on the front - STUPID design choice there), and frequently runs off saying "Gran book" and the next thing I know, I hear her in the other room, reading The Night Before Christmas to him. Have leave some unwashed t-shirts behind, so you can snuggle with baby & shirt and he can smell his Dad's smell.

Also tell your husband to try not to make too many big physical changes while he's gone. My dad was at sea when the military changed their facial hair policy. I had never seen him with anything other than a full beard and mustache, then he was gone for 5 months and came back clean shaven. I had no idea who he was and he loving TERRIFIED me.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ben Davis posted:

Google the brands and that should help. Carters is sold at a lot of places, for instance, but I think Carters Just One Year is only Target. I'd return them based on where you buy things.

Target's policy as of a few years ago was $70 worth of merchandise returned without a receipt per year, but that's per person, so you could get someone else to return things. If you're over your limit you could try to do an exchange for a similar item too. I don;t know about the others, but BRU has horribly slow lines every time we've gone.

BRU *used* to be great about taking returns without receipts. They started getting more difficult about it a couple years ago.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Greycious posted:

I'm definitely going to want to be able to pump and let others bottle feed the baby as needed so I can go out places and leave baby with a caretaker. I put Breastflow bottles on my registry/wishlist - Does anyone have any opinions about them? reviews on amazon seem to say they break and leak a lot. I guess I don't care that much about having to replace the nipples often, I just want to avoid nipple confusion so I can breastfeed as well.

Like Bamzilla says, you're probably going to want to try different ones to determine which one your baby takes to. That being said, I used Breastflow bottles for a while and my experience was that leaking was always due to overtightening, so if you do end up going with them and you find there's leakage problems, take a look at how tightly you're cranking down on the plastic ring and try giving it a lighter touch the next time.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I just use a kitchen trashcan with a lid. I had a diaper champ, but eventually it just seemed like the plastic was permeated with stink. We switched to a cheap kitchen trashcan so we can replace it easily if it gets horrible.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Dandy Shrew posted:

It's not used; she got 3 (!) as gifts, returned one, used one, and just still has the other sitting around. It's like €200 I don't have to spend and she basically just wants to get it out of her house and wrack up good new mama karma.
Check the date of manufacture on it and consult the manufacturer's website as to the date of expiration, just to make sure it's still ok to use. Car seats DO expire. Even if it's expired and you can't use it, it may save you some cash - around here, Babies R Us does a trade-in event several times a year where if you bring in a piece of equipment, you get 25% off new ones.

SKULE123 posted:

What conclusions did people reach around cord blood? Our country is piloting a public bank donation program in our city, so we'll go with that over private options after our research. Just wanted to take in other perspectives.
I looked into donating cord blood for research or medical purposes and basically got told that we're genetically boring and they didn't need it. The places around here would gladly take it, but we had to pay for its recovery and transportation. We didn't do it, although now I wish we had because I bet they'd actually be interested to have a bunch of Williams Syndrome cord blood to study. Then again, we didn't know he had WS at the time.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

GoreJess posted:

My husband didn't have to wait outside or anything & I don't see why you would need to either. Your wife just needs to ask the doctors office what to expect for a first visit. We got an ultrasound to confirm the due date based on my charting & I think they took some blood. But some doctors wait & it might depend on how many ultrasounds your insurance will cover.

Yeah, my husband came to most of my appointments and was with me from the time they called me back until I left. I always got there and checked in, went back to pee in a cup for them to test for protein in my urine, then went back to the waiting room with him until they called us. The person checking my urine always did the "Do you feel safe at home?" question in that few minutes when he wasn't with me. That question was also on every piece of paperwork I had to fill out, the doctor would always hand me the paperwork, then distract him with conversation while I filled it out.

There were a few appointments he wasn't there for, I'm sure that if I had made it to a certain point in my pregnancy without them seeing me independent of him, they probably would have asked me to make at least 1 appointment without him, or asked him to wait in the waiting room.

Also, hell yeah for Thor! That was my firstborn's name.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ben Davis posted:

Video's really a priority for us, especially now that he's older and we want to see if he's chewing on his crib or getting into any hijinks. We have the old Summer's Infant video monitor. There are nice lightweight cord-free new ones with all sorts of features now, but you can find this one at Marshalls or TJ Maxx pretty reliably for under $60, if I'm recalling correctly.

edit: this one http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Night-Monitor-Screen/dp/B001N44UVC

I really wish we had a video monitor. He's 5 now and we haven't used a monitor in a few years, but godDAMN, based on the state of his room every morning, I'd love to be able to see what the hell he's doing in there at night. He's so quiet, you'd never guess he was in there, trashing the joint like a rock star. Dead serious: like bed flipped upside down, every toy strewn about the place. What the hell, dude?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

lady flash posted:

Has anyone been induced early? Anything I should know/do/read ahead of time? I'm 36 weeks today but my BP won't stay down so they are inducing at 37 weeks.

I was induced at 34 weeks.(extremely complicated pregnancy, fetus was in danger). It took forever because my body just wasn't ready to go into labor. So in case you're like me: reading material. A charged ipod (mine wasn't locked, got turned on in my bag, and by the time I wanted it was totally dead WAAAAH). My inducement was 57 hours from start to baby. Approximately 52 of those hours were nothing but waiting, boredom, and people interrupting my sleep by poking and prodding me; things only got exciting right at the end. I was induced with cervidil - 3 rounds, then a foley. Eventually we went to pitocin, my waters were broken and things went down fast from that point on. I had an epidural; I can't speak to whether it sucked without one cause I was all over that poo poo early and often.

If you are going to want an epidural, make sure they run their blood tests first thing so you are cleared for one. The year before my son was born, I had a stillbirth that was induced (heartrate stopped at 28 weeks)) - I didn't get an epidural because the assumption was that the induction would take 12 hours or so, so they didn't do the blood work immediately because we had tons of time! But my body was already aware of what was going on and was preparing for labor. It only took 2 hours total. No bloodwork meant no epidural.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

EVG posted:

I -THOUGHT- so, but hey, I don't have a kid and I don't know!

Thanks guys, I just couldn't help putting myself in that situation and wondering what I would do! Now I know it's a Thing that some cabs come with car seats. Who'd a thunk?

Do they make strollers that are not absolutely gigantic that have a detachable seat that works as a car seat? Because that would be cool.

It may not actually be A Thing in Chicago, Rectal Cushion lives in Norway. But yeah, have an infant bucket carseat, learn to install it with the seatbelt installation.

As for the stroller question, yes they do. You buy the carseat, then you get just a base for the carseat. http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=12574022

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

newts posted:

Back with more reflux baby action :(

So, I already posted about her issues - constantly in pain, spitting up, vomiting, etc - but things have not really gotten better. I still can't see any difference with the Zantac she's on (maximum dose). I've also completely (I think) cut out all dairy and soy from my diet.

We had a few days last week when she acted like a normal baby for most of the time: she cried, but it was 'I'm a hungry baby' crying instead of 'I'm in pain' crying. It was pretty awesome. But she's gone right back to being in pain. The only difference I can think of is that we were out of peanut butter for a few days, so I didn't eat any. So I'm going to cut out peanuts and caffeine (why not?) to see if that makes any difference at all.

If none of that works, then I'll try the hypoallergenic formula again. We probably didn't give it enough time to make a difference last time, but she and I were both so miserable. We did find out I probably don't have an oversupply issue: she was still fussy and vomiting on two carefully controlled ounces of formula.

I'll give up breastfeeding if I have to :( I just want my baby to feel better. I have no idea if it's a food intolerance, but I'll try anything at this point.

Different reflux meds work for different people. Ask the doctor to try something different. I want to say we went through 5 of them with my son? (turned out he didn't have reflux at all - he had hypercalcemia as a result of the Williams Syndrome we also didn't know he had at the time). Has she had an upper GI to check that she is actually experiencing reflux? You might want to ask for that as well - all the Zantac and Prevacid in the world isn't going to help if it's a dietary sensitivity.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ratatozsk posted:

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like a lousy situation, but I would absolutely make the same choices you're doing were I in your shoes.

Have you considered buying a pack of cheap t-shirts and a few hooded sweatshirts to keep near the door for her to change into each time she comes to visit? If you've got laundry going regularly, keeping these in supply can become an afterthought, and this might make it easier for her as she doesn't have to worry about picking out something clean before coming. I could also see this making the situation worse if things are already tense, but you've certainly got a better sense of how it might be received. Just a thought.

My son was premature, needed lung surfactant, blew a pneumothorax, ended up with a chest tube, yadda yadda yadda. Ended up with a 30 day NICU stay and a whole slew of doctors who were VERY concerned about his pulmonary function for the first year of life. We were told in no uncertain terms when he was released from NICU that smokers were not to come in contact with him until they had scrubbed their hands and changed shirts. We don't know that many smokers, but we just made sure we had some freshly laundered shirts available in sizes the few we knew could wear and told them "This is the rules: if you want to come in the house and/or touch the baby, you have to wash and change into one of these, and while you're at it we'd really even prefer if you dampened your hair because it smells of smoke too." Anyone who didn't like it, too damned bad: my house, my kid, my rules. Luckily we weren't dealing with a grandparent in this situation, just more distant relatives and a couple of friends and all of them were quite happy to abide by our wishes. They all seemed quite happy that we had something for them to change into so they didn't have to worry about figuring out how to get something to our house without it picking up smoke in their car.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Papercut posted:

Hmm so if baby is still only taking a bottle sporadically/unpredictably at 4.5 months, do you think we should just move straight to cups/straws? I hadn't even really considered that but some of the links are making it seem like it wouldn't be worth it to keep trying to bottle train this late only to have to bottle-wean before too long.

It really can't hurt to try. My son was drinking from a straw at 8 or 9 months, open cup not very long afterwards (with me hovering my hand over to prevent him from pouring it everywhere), and he's developmentally delayed - more like a 3 month old at that point.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Papercut posted:

He freaking loves the Bjorn on the other hand and could happily be in it for hours. It also really easily converts to forward facing which the Ergo can't do. I think the crotch concerns are overblown, there are tons of things in his life that will pose a far greater threat to his balls, like riding a bike.

FYI, it has nothing to do with his balls, it's hip joints that are the concern. And let me tell you, hip joints are *not* fun to fix.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

rectal cushion posted:

Yeah that style of carrier is not optimal for baby's hips. My daughter has hip dysplasia and her orthopedist specifically told us to NOT use that kind of carrier. That being said, a kid without any hip problems isn't going to get damaged from moderate use of a babybjørn. If he has undiscovered dysplasia it can be worsened by being carried like that. Undiscovered dysplasia is rare because all babies are screened for it, but it's a thing to keep in mind.

Screening doesn't catch all problems. My son's was not evident through normal screening, it wasn't discovered until 15 months when he had an x-ray for an unrelated issue. He has since had 2 major surgeries to address the problem. It's definitely something to be concerned about.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Greycious posted:

I'm trying to purchase one of the baby items I find most confusing, and just want some input.

This is the car seat I think I've decided to go with: http://amzn.com/B005V9OKSI
(Graco Snugride 35 Infant Car Seat)

Mainly my reasoning is
1) Graco seems like the #1 brand in car seats and
2) It has the largest weight range (4lbs-35lbs) of the Graco carseats, so therefore I'll be able to get the most use out of it.
The 4lb thing really appeals to me too because I did have a preterm-labor scare around 20 weeks, so even though things are going great now at 32 weeks, I want to be prepared if he does come prematurely, and most of the other car seats have 5lbs as the smallest weight allowance.

Is there a downside to getting a seat with a larger weight range? Will I have to or should I have to buy an insert or extra head pillows or something to secure the baby in better when he is a newborn? :ohdear:

I just don't know anything about this stuff!

It will come with whatever inserts you need to use. As a general rule, anything you add to the carseat that isn't directly from the manufacturer makes it less safe, because the seat was designed and tested with those things only. Anything added could change the performance in a crash.
As for any downside of getting a carseat with a larger weight range, it's going to weigh more itself. it's going to be bigger, heavier and more unwieldy than a smaller seat, so you're going to be less inclined to take it out of the car and carry it around. So if you are planning to take the carseat out to use it as a carrier, you might want to rethink the large carseat. I had basically the one you are getting and it was big and heavy. My son grew out of it by height well before he hit the weight anyway - I think if I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't buy the same one.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Greycious posted:

I have some very awesome neighbors and one of them has 5 children, so I'm sure I could just pull them aside for any advice on making sure we've got it set up correctly!

Call AAA about when they are running a car seat check in your area, or try the police or fire station for a certified car seat inspector. The statistics of improper car seat use are *appalling*. Experienced, loving, dedicated parents regularly have no idea what they are doing when it comes to car seats. Here's a handy inspection finder from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cps/cpsfitting/

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Van Goober posted:

We bought this car seat because it fit into the stroller we were given as a hand-me-down. It is pretty bulky and by the time my kid outgrows it I'm going to have super beefy arms, but it's definitely manageable. I feel like the latch takes a surprising amount of thumb strength to operate, though. Is this A Thing for car seats, or just Graco? I went back and tried the Graco floor models and had the same problem. Do I just have feeble fingers?

Might want to thumbnail that pic, you're breaking tables.

As for the thumb strength, it's intended that way to prevent kids from releasing the harness. That's usually not a big problem in infant seats, but it's quite common for toddlers to give it a go.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ceridwen posted:

BTW, since there has been lots of Chicco KeyFit and stroller talk, although it's not officially supported from my understanding, our KeyFit fits in the Bob with the infant seat adapter (you need to remove the lower bar) just fine. It's doesn't click in but with the strap in use that shouldn't be an issue. In case anyone is considering using that combo.

Just an FYI, BOB makes different infant seat adapters to fit different brands, it sounds like your aunt likely had a different brand than you so it's not quite right. You should check their website to buy the one for Chicco. They're about $50.00 each.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Helena Handbasket posted:

Came over to this thread to see if anybody else was dealing with this. My feet are itchy and my quads keep spasming and bringing my knees up suddenly. Other times, my legs shake or my calves cramp. I am not a fan. The internet seems to think that exercise will help, but it's worse the more I walk. Anybody have good tips?

I had a lessening of symptoms when I upped my calcium intake. I know others have had success with increasing their potassium levels.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sockmuppet posted:

Is the glucose test obligatory for all pregnant women in the US, or is it just if you have elevated levels of something? It seems you're all doing it over there.

It's not required, but it is standard. So they just schedule you for the 1 hour, it's up to the patient to decline it if they wanted. You only do the 3-hour if the results of the 1 hour are unacceptable.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ceridwen posted:

I sent a request. It didn't let me add what my sa username is though. Should I have included that somewhere?

Nah, we just let anyone in who can stand up to the hazing.

I seem to recall that the only reason we switched it to a closed group anyway was the introduction of the damned stalker ticker, where everything you posted in open groups was being broadcast to all of fb.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I had a foley induction. Actually, I had 2 rounds of cervidil and then they came in and said they wanted to do a 3rd round, I refused and demanded a foley induction instead. It worked (slowly, but it worked nonetheless). I didn't think it was horribly painful or anything, just annoying,

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Clip My Wings posted:

Just checking in. 29 + 3 today and for the most part, everything is going well. I have type 2 diabetes going into this pregnancy (my first) and have (much to my OB's delight) only gained 7lbs total so far. I also see Maternal Fetal Medicine to manage the diabetes in pregnancy and they've told me starting at week 32, they want me to come in twice per week to do a NST Biophysical which will take about 30 minutes each time.

Unfortunately, work will not be happy to hear this as MFM's hours are 8-4 & I work 9-5. They have early hours on Fridays and are there 7-1, but it still leaves me hanging for that one day and I'm insanely busy at work. Also, I'd rather use my banked time for after the baby is born and I'm on maternity, since the hospital forces us to use our time after the disability runs out and during the disability time as well to ensure we're getting paid at 100%.

I'm going to ask if they could do this only once per week or maybe have me go to do the NST scans at the hospital I work at (same health system that the MFM people are a part of) and get it done there. I've been going there for my growth scans & whatnot, so I don't see why I can't have it done there. The hours are later at the hospital, but the waits are extraordinarily long (1.5-2 hours each time I've gone in previously for a scan), but at least it'll be getting done. Have any of you guys had the NST done?

PS: I just sent a request for SA Parents on Facebook, I'm Natasha on there.

I did NSTs 3x a week from week 20 until he was born at 34weeks. It's mostly just boredom - lay on a bed while they monitor the heartbeat for half an hour, then at least one out of 3 visits included a quick ultrasound to check fluid levels. Then again, I was on bedrest other than hospital visits, so laying on a bed with elastics wrapped around my belly was the highlight of my week if only because I was staring at different walls and ceilings for a while.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Mine tasted like a sort of flat orange soda. I liked it. :) (And did not have GD)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I haven't the slightest idea how to adjust a car seat so I will have to rely on others to help me when the time comes.

If you are in the US, I guarantee you that the manual that came with your carseat will give specific instructions on how to properly adjust the straps, how to tighten them, where the chest clip should be, and how to determine if the straps are too loose, as well as other information that is in every manual I've ever looked at but for some reason a lot of parents seem to be completely unaware of - like the fact that children should not wear coats or jackets while in a car seat, and that you CANNOT put the straps through the washer, no matter how much your baby puked on them. Read the manual a few times over, practice with a doll or stuffed animal. Estimates from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and various groups such as SeatCheck.org and AAA indicate that somewhere between 70% and 90% of carseats are used *improperly*, due to either improper installation or improper strap adjustment. Read your manual, get your installation checked by a Child Passenger Safety Technician (find a local one using this site: http://www.seatcheck.org/), and ask them to take the time to teach you how to adjust the straps properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well tonight was something of a surprise, GF woke me up at 4:30 and said we had togo to the hospital. Arrived at 5:00 and at 5:19 and 5:26 both babies where born, ten weeks too early too, now they're in these things, I dunno the english word, only 1.1 and 1.3kg but they're breathing and screaming and given how early they arrived things are looking well. Very fast delivery, both came out the normal way and head first, mom is able to walk already, though she is very tired. We've named them Daniel and David, my names's Dennis so now we're 3D!

Congratulations to all of you! My 6year old was born 6 weeks early, so not as little as your guys, but he also spent time in the "things" - I think you mean an Isolette, or an incubator.