Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

foxatee posted:

Question!

When did you give your newborn his/her first tub bath? Peanut's cord stump fell off about a week ago, but still had some goo, so we waited for that to dry up. Now that seems cleaned up, but we're still worried because her belly button continues to protrude outward. Is it safe to bathe her now? Our pediatrician only mentioned the stump falling off, so we are unsure of the timing.

IIRC, as long as the stump is off, you're good to go for bathing. If you've never bathed a newborn, it is an experience alright. They are incredibly slippery. We vastly preferred the bath-in-the-kitchen-sink approach - standing at the sink had her at a much better level to hold onto her rather than bending over the tub awkwardly.

Crazy to think I'll be dealing with this again fairly soon, my daughter is four now so it's been awhile, but now we're expecting baby #2 so I get to do it alllll over again. :ohdear:

FretforyourLatte fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
^^^ Oh my god, this is genius. Why did I not think of that?? THANK YOU.

LoG posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little bit of advice/opinions. KG is 13 weeks old today and he will not sleep on his back, so my wife is terrified of SIDS. It doesn't matter how deep of a sleep he is in, the second his back hits the crib he is awake. After that we rock him back to sleep, lay him on his tummy and he sleeps through the night. We use all the other precautions for SIDS like nothing in the crib, keeping the room cool and his mattress is firm and neither of us smoke, he is also healthy and doesn't have any acid reflux problems. If you have any questions that might be relevant ask and I'd be happy to answer.

Can he roll over on his own? My daughter never liked her back either and would roll herself right over to her belly every time. I was told as long as they can roll themselves they are probably just fine.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

CubanRefugee posted:

Here's hoping I don't take crap from my wife who reads this thread, but I don't think my posting here counts as me "telling everyone" that she's pregnant, since none of our friends/family read SA.

She's about 3-4 weeks in, and over the past week she's been feeling the early symptoms, ie nausea, odd stomach pain/sensations, soreness, and being tired. Yesterday though, she didn't have any of the symptoms, and it put a small bit of worry in her (and my) head. Actually, it's more me having the worry now that I think about it...

So is it normal to have "good" days where the nausea isn't kicking your rear end? She was hanging out with friends yesterday, so the hope is just that she was distracted enough to not notice it.

The funny thing about pregnancy symptoms is that pretty much anything can be normal. Some get nausea, some feel fine. Some are exhausted, some are energized. Some get constipated, some get the shits. Some women gain weight early, some lose it from the nausea. Pretty much, her body is going haywire and just about any symptom you can think of is normal. But yeah, there are definitely good days and bad days, especially with the morning sickness. I know that's the case with me, anyway.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

foxatee posted:

I need an opinion on something. Amelia has grown out of some of her clothes. So far I've just kept them stored away in a drawer because... well, I guess I just don't want to get rid of any physical evidence of when she was a tiny, cute baby. Although I know of someone who could use the garments, I still can't make myself give away the garments. Is this selfish? Has anyone else gone through this?

Don't feel obligated to give away your baby stuff. We kept everything from my daughter, because we planned to have another child eventually, who is now on the way. During this time my sister-in-law got pregnant and seemed a bit pissed that I didn't hand over all of my stuff, but I knew I would need it again and she has a tendency to completely destroy and/or "misplace" things that are borrowed. I did let her borrow my stroller/infant car seat combo and it is utterly ruined, I wouldn't want it back if she offered at this point, so she just completely proved my point on that one.

Bottom line, the stuff is yours. If you want to hang onto it for another future baby or for sentimental reasons, that's your business. :)

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Dr. Octagon posted:

And now for more questions! I'm planning on breastfeeding, and it's probably the thing I have the most anxiety about so far. Each of my boobs has leaked independently of the other, so I'm hoping maybe that means things are, uh... primed for action. I'm the first on my side of the family to reproduce, and my husband's family doesn't do breastfeeding, so I'm wondering what sort of pumps you folks would recommend. Also, bottles. I probably won't need that many because I'll be breastfeeding, right? My mom breastfed all three of us and then was a lactation consultant back in the day, so I will have plenty of support - it's just that the gear available now is totally different. I'd be grateful to hear any recommendations, and also any breastfeeding success stories to bolster my confidence.

I breastfed my daughter and plan on doing the same with baby #2, who is due in January. First of all, for the pumps: More than recommending a particular brand, mainly I would first of all look for a dual pump system, so you can pump both breasts at once. Pumping is time consuming and this will cut it in half. Also once you start pumping (or nursing) from one side, usually the other side decides to get going as well, so that way you won't lose anything. Another thing to look for are pumps that are electric or battery operated. They tend to be pricey and you may be tempted to just go with a manual pump, but you'll probably regret it as they are a massive pain in the rear end and your hands will cramp up like nobody's business. The pumps I have are Evenflo, not exactly this but similar: http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=88 This kind (and I think most others) pumps directly into a small bottle that you can then screw a nipple onto and go to town. As far as bottles, you shouldn't need too many if you're planning on exclusively breastfeeding, but do have them and some formula on hand just in case because nursing does not always work out for everyone, for various reasons.

As far as the leakage, I had a slight leakage while I was pregnant starting at 5 months IIRC, but once my daughter was born it still took the usual 2ish days of attempting to nurse before the milk really came in. I believe it was our first night home from the hospital when it happened. And hoo boy, when it comes in, you will know it! You think you're leaking now, just you wait. ;)

Do yourself a huge favor and make sure you get yourself a Boppy pillow, especially for nursing but even if you bottle feed, those things are a godsend.

Most of all, just keep at it, but don't beat yourself up if you can't handle it. It's tough and it hurts at first, but it does get easier. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love the sense of pride at nourishing your child, not to mention the massive amounts of money you'll save (formula is outrageous) and the convenience of not having to mix or warm bottles in the middle of the night. Good luck!

VVV That's also a good point, very true.

FretforyourLatte fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 23, 2011

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Try to relax. It will be OK! If everyone actually sat down and crunched the numbers of how much it costs to raise a child and tried to wait until they could afford it, no one would ever have kids. When you have them, they just fit right in and you manage somehow. We were pretty poor when my daughter was born, I don't really know how we did it sometimes but you just make sacrifices, do whatever you have to do, and somehow it just works, because it has to. As long as both of you are willing to do whatever's necessary for your family, everything will be fine.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

CommanderApaul posted:

My wife and I have a bit of a weird situation. We're due the first week of Dec with our second child after a 9 week miscarriage from an "oops" pregnancy in January, and we're getting a good deal of pushback from some of our family about our decision to not find out what we're having, and we're having a really hard time explaining the reason why to anyone outside immediate family (our parents, essentially).

My wife had a really difficult first pregnancy. She has PTSD from being assaulted when she was very young, and has been on SSRIs since she was a teenager to help cope. She staunchly refused to be on medication while she was pregnant (and I can see her point, if anything was wrong with the baby she'd blame herself), and we worked with her psychiatrist, the OB and our midwife on a plan of care for dealing with any problems, and for the most part it worked really well. Due to the added stress, getting pre-eclampsia, and being a very small woman to begin with, we had several ultrasounds to make sure things were progressing OK, and got told "it's a girl" during at least 3 of them, possibly 4. Day of arrives, and Andrew Jr pops out.

My wife did not take this well, ended up with really bad PPD over it, and for the first couple years would have crying spells that derive into some form of "What happened to my little Maggie?"

So, queue current pregnancy. We are once again off of the SSRIs (although she was on Cymbalta and Wellbutrin this time, compared to Effexor and something else last time, and it's going much, much better) and the plan of care is again going well, actually better than last time because I know what to expect a little better and have been reacting to her in a much more supportive manner than last time. But we had a serious conversation between ourselves and also with her psychiatrist and OB/midwife group and decided that due to the PPD from last pregnancy and that we still have 18+ months of girls clothes in sealed bags in the attic (along with all of AJ's stuff), that it would be better for my wife's mental health if we didn't find out.

The problem is that my wife is an intensely private person about her mental health issues (and would probably kick my rear end for posting this). Our immediate family knows and supports our decision, and the older population of our families are both supportive of this without question, mostly from a "that's how we did it when we had kids" perspective on childbirth. But we're getting some pushback from friends and family who want us to find out, seemingly more out of a want to shower us with gender-appropriate gifts and knitted/crocheted blankets and the like, and we don't really want to be rude and say, essentially, "gently caress off, we're not finding out, deal with it," but my wife isn't comfortable discussing our reasoning behind it with them.

Bit of an info dump, but any suggestions?

Just saying that you want to be surprised isn't a good enough reason? Everybody likes surprises!

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Chicken McNobody posted:

It's your baby, bottom line, not theirs, and if you don't want to find out the sex it is zero percent of their business. If they bitch about not being "able" to buy it things, gently caress 'em, the kid doesn't need any more stuff anyway.

Jesus, people can be lovely. I'm sorry you guys are having to deal with that.

Amen to that, you could also point out that you have plenty of baby supplies of both genders due to the mix-up last time so there's no need for people to rush out and buy you things anyway.

Your wife is a saint for not punching her sister in the face for that comment. I'm getting all riled up about it now and it wasn't even said to me. How DARE she.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

bamzilla posted:

I've had several people ask us if we named Charlotte after the sex & the city character. Who would even do that was it even popular enough for that to happen 2 years ago? Basically who cares what people will think/say? No matter what someone's going to comment on whatever name you decide to give your kid. Go with what you've wanted since your heart is set on it. Unless it's something dumb like JaMichael.

My daughter's name is Claire, and when she was born someone asked me if she was named after Claire Huxtable. Really, how long ago was the Cosby Show even on?

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
The good news: Sonogram next Thursday so if this little one cooperates we'll find out the sex. :neckbeard:

Bad news: My blood pressure is a little high and they're sending me to get evaluated and determine if it needs treated or just monitored. Anyone else have issues with high blood pressure, and if so what course of treatment was there, if any? I don't want to wind up stuck on bed rest. :ohdear:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I am so glad to hear you all could tell so early, I'm getting my ultrasound on Thursday and I'm 18 weeks. I was a little worried we wouldn't be able to tell yet. So that's good, it just depends if the little one cooperates. I suspect it's a boy (just a hunch) and I've heard that the boys are all about showing off the goods. :)

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Had our anatomical scan on Thursday and it looks like we're having another girl! I'm surprised, my gut was saying boy, but this is good because I have enough girl clothes for ten babies, and our house is only two bedroom, the girls can share a room indefinitely. We've tentatively picked a name now too - Sadie Anne.

I'm 19 weeks now and so far have not gained any weight, which is a good thing, because I was overweight in the first place. Despite not gaining anything, I am quite visibly pregnant already. This whole thing is finally starting to sink in, that we're going to have two little girls running around soon. :)

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

The Young Marge posted:

Anyone else dealing with waaaaayyy too many baby clothes? My husband came home from work with two crammed-full bags from a coworker, and I have at least 3 other people giving us clothes. Obviously I'm extremely grateful - we won't have to buy any! But it's probably way too much for one baby to ever wear. Should I just go through it all and pull out the stuff I like most, keeping the rest as backup?

First batch of baby clothes (this is half my couch):

Hello I am a baby and I enjoy Canada:

^^Oh my god, that is adorable!

If you have room to store them and if you plan on having more kids, I would hang on to everything. I got an absurd amount of hand-me-downs with my daughter, some of which she never even got the chance to wear, as there were a lot of cold-weather things and she was born in late April. I kept it all stashed in the attic and I'm so glad I did, because now I have another girl on the way who's due in January and we are pretty much totally set on clothes. I'll wind up buying some new things just because they're so cute, I can't resist, but it is a huge relief to have a solid wardrobe already established for this kid. Digging through it all was so fun and now I have to get some Dreft so I can start organizing and washing it all.

On the other hand, if you're pretty sure you're done having babies after this one, maybe it would be better to pay it forward with the excess next time someone you know is pregnant.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Idonie posted:

Unless you've had a lot of experience with little babies, I would wait and see what you actually use before really getting rid of anything. A lot of the clothes I liked most ended up being pretty impractical once I was actually trying to put them on/take them off at 3am. Also, you will probably be changing his/her clothes like 15 times a day to start with, unless you have awesome luck with the baby never spitting up (I did) and the diapers never overflowing (I didn't, oh I didn't), so you really need a LOT more than you think you're going to.

THIS, some of those little tiny newborn outfits just look so precious sitting there but are really completely ridiculous when you try to put them on the kid. Collared shirts never seem to lay right and make the baby look like a tiny bald clown or something, jeans on a newborn, oh how cute right? No. Forget it. And what sadistic rear end in a top hat thought up those newborn sleepers with all the buttons IN THE BACK?? Not even snaps, regular buttons, wtf. Tried those ones one time, never again. And when they're that little, nothing seems to fit right. So you want to take them to grandma's and finally find an outfit that looks cute, is clean, baby looks reasonably comfortable, weather appropriate, and you can change them easily and before you make it out the door (or worse, after) they spit up all over it and possibly you, too, or have the fabled Hot Mustard Explosion all over the car seat.

:allears: Ohhh somebody tell me why I'm doing this again? Hahaha.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
It's amazing to me that people making GBS threads on the name you picked out for your child is actually a thing. There have been a few people in my life who gave their children names I didn't like, and I sure as hell never said a drat thing about it. That would be unbelievably rude. Naming your baby is such a personal thing, honestly I would loving lose it if my parents or in-laws made some snide comments about the names we picked out.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

MoCookies posted:

I can't get over how hard I'm getting kicked lately. I'm ~31 weeks, and the hard kicking and punching lasts for hours and hours every day, starting around 4 am. It's like I'm gestating the Mini-Hulk, and every Hulk-Smash to the cervix makes me want to cry. I can pretty much always tell you where he is (head up, down, transverse, etc.), and where his feet (and often his hands too) currently are. None of my pregnant friends seem to have the same level of hyper-awareness of their baby's movements and position. So now I'm wondering if I'm overly sensitive in my baby-making parts, if this level of activity is normal, and if I'm going to be able to go through with the natural birth I'm planning. I don't know what the gently caress, and I'm starting to freak out just a little.

I feel like I might have a Mini-Hulk as well - I'm only 22 weeks and already I am feeling some solid kicks. With my first pregnancy I was only just starting to feel flutters at this point. I know they say you feel movement earlier in subsequent pregnancies but geez! I can actually see my belly twitch with the kicks already, it's crazy.

Went on a shopping spree with Mom today and got some super cute maternity clothes for fall at Macy's! Free clothes are awesome. :woop:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
That's really lovely if they won't accomodate you to go to a drat doctor appointment that you're telling them about over a month in advance. Is this unusual or is your schedule usually set in stone forever? What kind of work do you do? I can't imagine a single job that you can't take one day off with a month's notice.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Yeah, don't bother with the diaper genie. They fill up quick, the refills are expensive, and really as long as you wrap the diapers up around themselves and take your trash out regularly it shouldn't be a problem. Plus the stench of condensed diapers from the diaper genie when you empty it will knock you on your rear end.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Chicken McNobody posted:

I started out fat AND I had a ton of gas-bloating, so I looked six or seven months pregnant immediately. (Like, IMMEDIATELY.) By the time the gas subsided I was actually showing a little bit so there was really no change. I just went ahead and got a bunch of maternity stuff as soon as I could; I feel like it looks cute on me and I can finally feel alright about my belly :3: Also, waaaayy more comfortable. I've only gained 5 pounds (I'm 22 wks) so I haven't grown out of anything, and even have a little more room to grow into most of it. Next purchase: Muumuus (I'm going full Dorothy Zbornak in this bitch)

I know exactly what you mean about finally feeling alright about your belly. I never lost the weight I gained from my first (I'll have to try harder this time!) and I never got used to being so heavy, it always got me down. I haven't really gained anything yet this time but the weight all seemed to reposition itself. Having a legit pregnant belly and cute maternity clothes has made a huge difference in my self confidence, suddenly I actually feel attractive again. It doesn't hurt that people feel obligated to tell you how great you look when you're pregnant. :3: Hey, I'll take what I can get.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Any advice on the nighttime leg cramps? Last night I swear I was up every hour or so, between getting up to pee and awful cramps in my legs. I already sleep with a body pillow and that's helped the general discomfort but this crap is terrible. I can get them to stop when they start by stretching but they keep coming back several times a night. Now today all my leg muscles are sore from locking up all night. :( And I still have almost four months to go.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I had my first prenatal appointment with midwives, but as it turned out I had to transfer over to their partner OB/GYN practice at the hospital due to me having borderline high blood pressure and (apparently) kidney problems. Good times. It would have been nice to stick with the midwives but in my case it's much more convenient to already be at the hospital for my checkups when they decide they need to run 5000 tests on me. And I can schedule my ultrasounds on the same day as my checkups and just take the elevator upstairs and get it all done in the same place.

Re: those leg cramps, everything I have been reading indicates there is actually no connection to needing more potassium or calcium, but hey, it sure can't hurt to have more of both of them in my life and I love yogurt anyway. Didn't get them last night at least, but the night before when they were terrible and recurring was an unusual event and not a constant problem. Hopefully it won't persist like that because I've got a long way to go.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Mangue posted:

On a side note...anyone else experience a lot of labial swelling? This suuuuucks. It doesn't hurt or anything but I don't recognize myself down there anymore and it's really disconcerting. Plus, it's super uncomfortable to have any sort of relations with my husband. I feel so bad but at the same time...good lord it's unlike anything I've seen before! Please tell me I'm not alone...

Maaan having sex just sucks lately, I swear. I feel terrible too because he's clearly getting annoyed about it but I can't help it, it's just so uncomfortable. :(

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Yep. Leaking since around 22 weeks. I wouldn't mind too much if it actually meant the milk would be ready to go when she gets here, but I know from last time that that's not the case at all. What the hell is your problem, boobs. :mad:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Not sure how many doctors and other various hospital staff were in & out during my labor, but as far as my personal visitors, I only wanted my husband in the room for the delivery itself. My parents and in-laws were at the hospital and came in to see me while we waited and such, but once it got time to push, I didn't want all these drat people around. Once she was born they were welcome to come back in. I fully plan on doing the same with this baby.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I'm a stay-at-home mom now so no problems with working in this current pregnancy, but with my first I was working full-time in a kitchen, on my feet all day, hauling out bags of trash, hunching over scrubbing pots, and so on, not to mention the stressful nature of it because people were always causing stupid drama. It SUCKED towards the end. I was due the 3rd week of May and mentioned to my OB that I wanted to stop working May 1st because it was getting too hard and I wanted a few weeks to mentally prepare. Of all people, my OB gave me poo poo about it, saying there was nothing wrong with me and SHE was working all the way up to giving birth (she was pregnant too at the time) and basically said I should just suck it up. I was so insulted. It was especially annoying to me because my job didn't pay anything for maternity leave, they just give you the standard FMLA time off, so they didn't give two shits when I started that time off, whether it's medically necessary or not, as long as I'm back in 12 weeks.

Well, I kept working, still planning on taking a couple weeks time off, but on April 18th I had an awful day at work and was crying that I wished I would just have this baby because I couldn't take my job anymore and just wanted out of there, and the NEXT DAY I went into labor, at 35 weeks. Had her the next day. It appeared, however, that she was not in fact over a month early as we thought, but we were off by a couple weeks with my dates, because she was 6.5lb and all set to go, didn't need any time in the NICU or anything. She was full-term after all. So in the end I worked a physical job all the way up to giving birth.

Sorry, that wound up kinda long, but the point is, listen to your body and don't let anyone, even your doctor, make you feel like a wimp. In the end, only you know what you're going through physically, take it easy if you feel you need to. As a side note, I did NOT go back to that same OB with this pregnancy, because holy poo poo how is your own doctor who is pregnant herself going to make you feel like a lazy crybaby for wanting to take it easy in your home stretch of pregnancy?

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I'm 28 weeks now and I am starting to feel like my entire life is pee. All day I do nothing but pee. Swear I can't seem to go more than an hour without going to the bathroom. Have to go somewhere? Better pee first or I'll be doing the potty dance in the car the whole way. Time for bed? Good luck, but I'll be up at least 3 times to pee, then afterwards I can't fall back asleep. Somehow after all that there's still enough left in me that if I cough or sneeze, (which is a lot now because I'm getting a cold too, YAY)I'm loving wetting myself. Good times, folks.

I have an OB appointment this afternoon so I guess I'll find this out when I get there, but I was wondering, as I can't sleep at the moment, about the results of my 3-hour glucola test I had to take on Monday. I have not heard from the OB yet regarding it, but on Tuesday I was at my kidney doctor and he had the results - apparently my fasting sugar was fine, hour 1 draw was fine, hour 2 draw was "slightly elevated" but the hour 3 draw was fine. He said he wasn't sure if that would be something to be concerned about or not. Has anyone else gotten results like these, and if so what did they tell you?

On the bright side, I have another sonogram later today also, so I'll get another look at this kiddo! While they're checking her out, I'm going to have them double-check the sex for me, because at this point I am pretty emotionally invested in this being another girl like they said at 18 weeks when I got my last one, and if it isn't, I will need some time to adjust. Oh, and also come up with a boy name and buy some clothes.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
All I'm seeing there is some kind of demon rabbit head.

Our ultrasound went great today, they got a good look and confirmed that she IS a girl. I'm taking their word for it because unless I see a foot or a nice profile view, I can't tell what the gently caress I'm looking at there. They said she's growing perfectly. Also, I don't have gestational diabetes so that is a plus! :woop:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Don't count her out of the woods on morning sickness yet, lots of times it takes awhile to kick in. She might wind up with it yet. But maybe she'll be one of the lucky ones!

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
We had about the same experience - intended to use the little sidecar bassinet but she never would stay asleep unless she was with me. It started off with me just passing out while nursing at night but I have pretty much zero resolve when I am sleep deprived so we wound up cosleeping for quite some time, actually until she was about 3. To be honest, I wanted her out of the bed much sooner than that - she started taking up a lot more space, kicking, rolling, and so on, not to mention throwing a monkey wrench in our sex life. But once again, I give up way too easily when I need sleep so I'd wind up giving in and letting her back in bed. It was very tough to get her out. Now she sleeps perfectly in her toddler bed, but her bed is still in our room. Oh well, it's something. I am determined not to do it again with the new baby (easier said than done!) and hopefully kill two birds with one stone and get her bed in the other bedroom with the baby. It might actually work considering the amount of time I'd be spending in the room in those first weeks.

Anyway some people love it, it was sweet at first and it absolutely lets you get some loving sleep for a change, but it was really tough to transition her out of it later.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I've had to do the glucose screenings three times now - once with my previous pregnancy and twice with this current one (due to my weight they tested me early, and then again at the usual time), and all three times my 1-hour has come back high, but my 3-hour has been fine. The first one, they told me to fast beforehand, and I wound up drinking some iced tea in the window of time that I shouldn't have so that could have been why it came back high. The second and third times, they told me not to worry about fasting before the 1-hour and I didn't, but you always have to fast for the 3-hour. Mostly it's just a pain in the rear end, very boring. Take a book. I took the Kindle and the DS and still wound up reading half the baby magazines in the waiting room.

I've got an appointment tomorrow and I'm worried, because my blood pressure has been quite high since Sunday. I have borderline hypertension anyway and they have me on a low dose of Cardizem for it, and up to this point it's been keeping things where they want them, but over the weekend it shot up and I'm running about 155/95. Not good. They told me to call and get the hell in there if it goes higher than 165/110, so I'm not there yet, but that's still pretty bad. Hopefully everything else looks ok and they'll just give me a higher dose of the meds and send me on my way. They've been keeping a really close eye on me this whole time to watch out for pre-eclampsia so I'm hoping that's not what is happening but it is very concerning.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Thanks for the replies. Makes me feel a little bit better. Failing the first test doesn't seem to be uncommon, but I am a bit nervous about failing the three hour.

Fret, I really hope your BP holds out and you don't get the pre-eclempsia. I see your either just at or just about to be 8 months. It's scary of course, but hopefully if you do become PE, they'll be able to keep it managed until you can deliver. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best!

I'm 30 weeks. Right now I'm torn between trying not to worry (since worrying can only make things worse) and just taking it easy, and trying to finish up preparations I thought I had ten more weeks to take care of. Hopefully I'll feel better once I see the doctor tomorrow, they can tell me what all this could mean and if there's anything I should or shouldn't be doing, etc. It's going to be tough to diagnose me with PE though, because I already had the high BP and protein in my urine beforehand (kidney issues). So far there are none of the other symptoms other than my pressure going up.

Y'know, I think I'm done having kids, the first one went fine but this one is way too stressful.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Congratulations! Those first few days are really something. So scary at first but it's such an awesome feeling when it finally hits you that yes, you CAN sustain this little person's life all on your own.

Oh, and an update on my preeclampsia nervousness, it turns out that my blood pressure is NOT, in fact, through the roof. The cuff I got to monitor myself at home was malfunctioning. Everything came up fine at the doctor's, BP is holding steady same as it's been ever since they put me on the medication. For some reason my cuff decided it wanted to put up numbers about 10-20 higher than it really is, on both sides, so that was pretty scary, but what a relief. Only nine more weeks to go, thank god, and really only like 5 weeks til I don't have to worry about it so much, if she has to come out at that point, it'll be alright.

Also being almost 8 months pregnant, and sick, and having a sick four-year-old is not a pleasant time. :sigh: And the husband has the nerve to complain that we better get well quickly because we're annoying him and keeping HIM up at night with our hacking and sniffling.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

MoCookies posted:

That's exactly how I learned I was having Braxton-Hicks, too. I almost always get them when I go up or down the stairs, but most of the time, I can only tell that I'm having a BH because my belly feels firm like a soccer ball vs. squishy like normal. I also have trouble getting a full, deep breath while I'm having one, but I'm also ginormous and ready to pop at any moment, so that's kinda become normal these days.

Today I learned that I apparently am also having BH because I notice this all the time. I didn't realize that's what it was.

I'm sick as a dog and I've gone from thinking, "gee I hope I don't have bronchitis or something" to thinking I loving hope this is bronchitis so I have a reason why I feel this way and nothing helps and they can give me some real medicine and make it go away. I'm at the doctor tomorrow and if they tell me to put on the humidifier and drink some loving tea I may lose it. I keep getting coughing and/or sneezing fits so bad that I piss myself. I can't sleep at night because I'm hacking up horrible things. This poo poo is ridiculous.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
My cats are madly in love with me now and cannot be satisfied with just sitting in my lap, oh no, they must keep trying to stand ON my belly. I won't let them do it because they're loving heavy and anyhow then they always start kneading and pretty much all my new maternity shirts have a little hole on the belly now due to these assholes. So I have to shoo them away and they look at me like I just murdered their best friend. Sorry cats, if you could just sit nicely in my lap I'd be happy to pet you all day, quit trying to loving stand on me and claw me up! Jerks. :catstare:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Congrats to the new mothers!

It seems a lot of the mothers here all try to go with a natural childbirth. I'm curious as to why. The thought hasn't even crossed my mind. I'm a big baby when it comes to pain, so it's always been in my mind that I'm going to get an epidural.

Why didn't you guys?

Has anyone in here opted to get the epidural and not tried for natural. I don't want to compare myself to you guys, but I feel kind of like a wuss for not wanting to go natural.

I got the epidural with my first and will do so again with this one. All respect to you brave mommas but I am not interested in the least in feeling the pain of childbirth.

Hormonal bitching incoming ITT:

So, does anyone have advice on dealing with a neglected and frustrated husband? Or, at least he thinks he is. Granted, we are having a LOT less sex than we normally would, this pregnancy has just killed my sex drive. Normal for us is usually roundabout 4x a week, lately we're down to like a week and a half between. It's not like I'm shooting him down, though -- he isn't even TRYING. He's gotten spoiled throughout our marriage by my high sex drive - the vast majority of the time when we have sex, I initiate it, so he's gotten into this mindset that if I am not actively climbing on his dick, I must be staunchly opposed to it, which just isn't the case. I've told him this repeatedly, that I can get in the mood, but I just need a little more help than I normally would, and go easy on me because with the increased blood flow down there sometimes things just aren't very comfortable. Obviously it's also tough to find a good position where I can breathe and my legs don't cramp and so on. So I can understand his point that things aren't the way they usually are, but that doesn't mean we can't have sex, he just needs to put a little more effort in. Or, really, any effort at all...He says that I make it impossible for him to try, by turning over to the only position I can lay comfortably, which is the dumbest thing I ever heard, we're still laying next to each other same as ever, it's not like there's a loving wall up or something. And it's not that he's turned off by me being pregnant, so he says anyway, he's extremely frustrated and wants to have sex but since I'M not seeking it out, he thinks I'm completely unwilling and doesn't want to pressure me or some poo poo. You know, it's not pressuring me to try to make out with me and see where it goes or something. But he's not doing anything, and I could honestly care less if we have sex right now except for worrying about his needs, and if nobody is trying to jump my bones I'm perfectly content to go the gently caress to sleep at night. I guess I should just fake it and get up on him anyway? I don't know. :sigh:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

bamzilla posted:

What about a unique/generic name. If we have a boy I plan on going with Henry or something else equally old fashioned - it's not weird, but it's also not very common. Seems like it'd be a good compromise. Unless he'd want something like Ulysses then you're probably SOL.

That's kind of the way we went with our girls' names (Claire Margaret and Sadie Anne)- classic, old-timey names that don't strike anyone as odd but there also won't be five of them in her class at school. If we were having a boy, I wanted to name him Hunter Matthew, my husband wasn't completely sold on that but it wound up being irrelevant anyway.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Now you've all gone and scared me, I found out today it's looking like I may have to have a C-section. Had a sonogram today (36 weeks) and the baby is still breech. Just last week the doctor said he could feel the pressure from her head on my cervix and told me she seemed like she was head-down. Nope. They were talking about possibly inducing me at 37-38 weeks anyway due to my blood pressure and kidney issues. I guess if she's breech they won't want to wait for things to happen on their own, since it can be so dangerous to give birth that way. I don't have an OB appointment until Thursday so hopefully I'll find out the plan then.

I was induced when I had my daughter and it wasn't so bad. I was only 35 weeks with her and my water broke, and then nothing happened. Labor didn't progress on its own and as you all know, the risk of infection goes way up once the water breaks, so they had to get her out. Once the pitocin started working it was about 6 hours until I was ready to push, and I think I only pushed for like ten minutes or so. It really wasn't terrible at all for me. I should also note that I got an epidural, so YMMV.

FretforyourLatte fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 20, 2011

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Dr. Octagon posted:

FretforyourLatte, have you tried any of the methods on spinningbabies.com? I know some women who have had success turning their babies using their techniques, even really late.

I haven't tried anything yet. I'll mention that at the doctor next time I go, honestly though it seems like hanging upside down might be the sort of thing that would raise my blood pressure, which is not something I should be doing. I'll see what the doctor says.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I've never heard of having to stay cooped up in the house for six weeks afterwards. What is supposed to happen at six weeks, will she magically be immune to whatever you're afraid of now? Honestly going out with a newborn is easier sometimes than going out with an older child, typically they just sleep through the entire excursion and never know they left the house. Car rides are like roofies to babies. As far as germs, just wash your hands regularly or take some sanitizer if you're worried. If your wife got a flu shot while pregnant (which she most likely did), that offers some protection to the baby even after birth. Seriously, it will be OK, get out of the house before you go insane. There's no reason to cut yourselves off from life. No wonder you feel so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
One more thing to add re: getting out of the house with a newborn: The idea of it will never cease being terrifying until you just go do it a few times. The first time I drove with the baby I was going like 15mph the whole way. Like everything else at this new stage of your life, it's an adjustment. You just have to jump in and do it and after you have a couple successful outings where nobody winds up in the ER, you will start to relax, and you'll find that you can still do the vast majority of things you did before, just slightly modified. Your life isn't over, you just need to learn to go about it in new ways, as someone said a bit ago, you need to find your "new normal". IT WILL GET BETTER, but not if you hole yourselves up in the house and refuse any type of leisure because you feel like you're abandoning your duties. You can still have fun, I promise!