Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Hi pregnancy thread, hopefully joining y'all by the end of the year, and I had a question--any recommendations on prenatal vitamins? Ideally available at Costco and not gummies. My gynecologist said they were all the same in her eyes as long as they have good amounts of folic acid and iron.

She did recommend gummies if the iron causes nausea, but I can't count on myself to remember to take vitamins if I don't use a daily pill organizer and I don't think gummies will with one. (If you have experience to the contrary I'm all ears.)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

^^ Sorry to hear it, but good luck and hopefully you can get your septum sorted and enjoy breathing while pregnant.

It looks like the getting knocked up thread is dead, is there a new one I'm missing? Got my IUD out today so I guess we're on this train. (Also I think it's funny that on the consent form, ability to get pregnant was on the benefits and the risks.)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

This is premature since we've only just started trying, but even with how poo poo the world is for women, I feel like I'm better prepared to raise a strong woman than a good man. I don't know what I'd do if my son was an incel or whatever the 2030s-40s equivalent will be.

I'm married to a good man at least, even if he does joke I'm min-maxing my uterus because I'm using a tracking app and opk strips.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Does anyone have suggestions on good pregnancy books that are available as audiobooks? My husband prefers them to regular books and I'm looking for options for him. I'm not sure I want to suggest dad-specific books though; the negative reviews of the top rated ones I looked at suggest they trade in gender essentialist bullshit.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I'm also a fan of the Mayo clinic book and Expecting Better, although I'm not actually pregnant yet (but we're having so much properly timed sex y'all). I just hang out here since the getting knocked up thread is dead.

On EB, I will say that a friend's wife who's finishing her residency as a laboratory vet didn't like how dismissive the author was of animal studies.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

It's really a shitshow in the states for leave, and the reactions when you describe it to people who live in vaguely functional social democracies can be kind of funny in a "laugh or cry" sort of way. I'm the only US based person on my team and was in London last week for a meeting. We were discussing how sometimes our team can be made to feel a little second class, and I brought up our firm's parental leave policies in the US (relatively generous if slightly below industry standards for billing attorneys, much much worse (although still better than what a lot of Americans get) for staff including non-billing attorneys like my team).

When I described this to a room full of Brits their horror was palpable. Especially when I got to the leave for staff. I imagine if I had to describe some of the things people cobble together to get even what staff gets some of them might have fainted.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

If anyone's interested, I've restarted the getting knocked up thread, for those of us who aren't pregnant yet. It's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915703

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

What?? Red hair makes a difference? Is it for pain in general? I’ve never heard this before.

It's supposedly a thing, that redheads need more anesthetic. I haven't noticed it with anesthetic for myself, although OTC pain meds don't work well.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Congrats Olanphonia!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a prenatal vitamin with a non-fish source of dha? Been taking the naturemade prenatal multi+dha, but the past few bottles I've had, one or two softgels have leaked and the whole thing has ended up smelling like a lake.

(I also asked in the getting knocked up thread, not sure how much cross-readership there is.)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Chernobyl Princess posted:

What the gently caress. Why is insurance so terrible

If it was good we might be able to direct time and energy to other things in life, and we can't have that now can we?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

So after fifteen months of trying I had my first positive pregnancy test yesterday, on the last possible cycle before our initial appointment with the reproductive endocrinologist. :toot: Now I guess for weeks of paranoia I'm going to lose it until my first appointment with the midwife at 8 weeks, thanks brain.

Also, the endocrinologist said we can keep our appointment if we want. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I think I'm going to keep the appointment just for my own piece of mind, so the relationship is established just in case.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Carotid posted:

Congratulations Emily Spinach! That's great news :neckbeard:

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Congrats!!! I found out I was pregnant the day before I was supposed to start fertility treatments. It turned out that once we stopped putting pressure on ourselves, since we were going to start treatments, it happened for us.

BadSamaritan posted:

Congratulations! I was in a similar situation- I would recommend keeping the appointment if the practice is ok with it. Best case, you go to an appointment for no real reason but establish a relationship. Worst case, you don’t have to wait longer while feeling miserable to get another appointment.

Thanks. I ended up losing the pregnancy, but at least fairly quickly so we're in mostly the same place we were when we made the appointment but now we know we can cause a pregnancy together. I also established a relationship with the midwife I was going to be seeing, since she ended up being first available for an appointment yesterday, and confirmed my blood type. My hcg and progesterone were already back to non-pregnant levels yesterday--if I hadn't taken a picture of the positive test I'd think I'd hallucinated it.

I'm sad, of course, but less immediately upset than I was yesterday. I barely had time to get excited, and I think having the data knowing it's lost and having the FRM appointment already scheduled for next Monday help.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Good luck Chernobyl Princess. It might be worthwhile asking your ob if you can get an hcg blood draw today or tomorrow, then they can do another on Monday when you go in to see if the levels are going up like they should? That way you don't have to wait until next Wednesday.

Fwiw even with the heavy spotting/light flow I was presenting with on Monday, my midwife told me there was a chance the pregnancy was still good. It wasn't until Tuesday when I woke up to the elevator scene from the shining (confirmed by the blood test results from the day before) that there was no hope.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Random question, but does anyone here have any experience with a saline ultrasound for fertility diagnosis stuff? My doctor's ordered that instead of an hsg test. All I know is I'm supposed to take ibuprofen beforehand and (per the tech at my baseline ultrasound last week) the whole thing takes like 15 minutes. I've heard that hsg can hurt, and I'd expect some soreness from pumping my uterus full of saline, but I don't really know what to expect.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah pretty sure this is what my partner had. She said that it hurt, and she was crampy and spotting for a few days after.

Edit: like, it's nothing compared to labour pain, but also when they say it's "just a little uncomfortable", they're lying.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Play too much ffxiv music for your kid and their first words will be “how very glib. And do you believe in eorzea?”

I wonder if there’s an existing product that would do that (let you include your own music choices, not turn your baby into Gaius).

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

What are those of y'all who are pregnant thinking about the covid vaccine? I was planning to get it as soon as I could, thinking it would take me a few cycles of iui to get pregnant if that worked at all, so of course instead I got knocked up the old fashioned way the last cycle before starting treatment.

Going to discuss it with the midwife at my first appointment in a couple of weeks, but I know there isn't really any data out there.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Big Dick Cheney posted:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/536168-who-advises-against-pregnant-women-taking-moderna-covid-19-vaccine

This is just for Moderna though, I dont think there is any recommendation either way for Pfizer. My wife got the first dose of Pfizer already so I hope that wasn't a bad idea.

The article says that they said the same thing for pfizer on the 8th. It also says there isn't any specifically adverse data regarding either vaccine in pregnant women, just that there isn't any data at all so they can't recommend it until we know unless you're in healthcare or high risk otherwise. It's a risk, I guess, but as long as your wife was able to make as informed a decision as possible that's all we can hope for right now.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Did anybody else have morning sickness that goes away when you're actively eating? It's like, if I'm shoving food into my gaping maw, and for a little bit after, I'm fine, but otherwise it's nausea city. Luckily it's generally just a mild nausea, not even as bad as what I get with migraines, but still annoying. I'm at about 6.5 weeks.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Congrats Kirby! And yeah, I can't imagine waiting to tell my husband. He was asleep when I took my first positive test for this pregnancy and I was bouncing off the walls waiting for him to wake up.

Just had the dating scan this morning. There's a tiny person in there with a spine (sort of) and a heartbeat and little almost arms and legs. It's madness. And given that I'm due three days before my own birthday, there's a good chance we end up sharing the day.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Well, the second pee test being lighter could mean less hcg because something's gone wrong or because she drank more water the night before. The thing about not getting to see the doctor, is that her initial appointment for the pregnancy or one she made after the spotting?

Either way, let the doctor know about the new heavy spotting, and the old spotting if you haven't. Even if they can't get you in, they may be able to order blood tests to track hcg levels.

Edit: Spotting can be perfectly normal or an early sign of problems. The only thing that can really tell you anything at this point is a blood test, which is why I say that.

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 5, 2021

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Friend posted:

First appointment, she called right after our initial excitement but that was the earliest appointment available. It'll definitely be brought up with the doctor, but spotting nearly a week apart isn't necessarily a red flag? Like, I know it could be a problem, just like regular spotting, but didn't know if the time range could mean it's more likely a problem.

Sorry, when I said let the doctor know, I meant call the doctor now. Don't wait for the appointment. Like the edit says, it can be a red flag or it can be completely harmless, but the only way to know for sure that the pregnancy is progressing as it should is a blood test (technically two, 48 hours apart, to see if the hcg levels are rising like they should). Fwiw, I had a similar issue back in October, but with even longer to wait before my initial first appointment. Because of the spotting, though, the midwife was able to get me in right away, and I'm telling you what she told me then--it could be perfectly normal, but it's hard to tell just from spotting.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Currently in bed in a busy L&D ward and I’ve got to say epidurals are magical.

Congrats!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Did anyone get vaccinated while pregnant? I am more strongly considering it now because it seems like they are opening it up greatly in my state now.

Not yet, I'm waiting until I hit the second trimester in week or so, which is also about when they'll start opening it up to younger people with conditions in my city (which gets its own supply). Definitely planning on it asap though.

I got to hear the fetal heartbeat earlier at my week 12 appointment. It's soooo fast. I'd seen it on the week 8 ultrasound, but hearing it too was so cool. Just that extra reassurance that everything is going well is so nice to have.

Edit: Does anyone have recommendations for maternity jeans? My normal ones still fit but obviously not for much longer.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

The all leggings all the time might be the way to go, and just dresses for work if the office actually opens up before October. Thanks y'all.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Aren't bumpers dangerous? I feel like I've only ever seen them mentioned in warnings not to use them because of an increased risk of sids and suffocation.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

So everything I've read says that when you first feel the baby start to move, it can feel like fluttering or tickling. Other than "the abdomen," can the location of the sensation be narrowed down more? Off and on for the past few days, I've been feeling a light sensation, which I would call fluttering or tickling, around my belly. It sort of feels like it's in the skin, like not on the surface but maybe an inch or two deep? Does that sound about right? Fwiw I'm at 16 weeks 4 days, which might be a bit early for quickening in a first pregnancy, idk.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

My Shark Waifuu posted:

Sounds like it to me! :3: Babies, especially when they're still small, can move around a lot so the sensation can be anywhere in the abdomen. Savor the cute little flutters, it'll be full-on kicks to the ribs before you know it!

Ha, can't wait... A friend was saying one of the reasons the third trimester was best for her was because she was too big for the baby to hit her ribs anymore.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Hm, this doesn't feel quite as forceful as gas--it's much lighter. It hasn't gone away though, although it's still off and on.

Also, for folks still thinking about the covid vaccine, preliminary results released today of a study reviewing about 2.5 months of early data from the vsafe and vaers registries doesn't show any increased risk of adverse effects.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Tamarillo posted:

Morning sickness started at 5.5 weeks. Where is the justice in the world? RIP my next 8 weeks.

It was the same for me, it sucked (although thankfully never had any vomiting).

Got my anatomy scan tomorrow. I got excited when looking at the appointment instructions because the hospital system had updated their visitor policies to allow a single visitor for outpatient visits (previously prohibited), but it turns out my midwife's office is part of the group of offices excluded from the new policy. :(

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, also in the US and my husband hasn't been able to go to any of my appointments. I was able to video call him for the ultrasound at least.

Good luck on Tuesday, hallo spacedog!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Is swaddling common in Japan? That can help with the "baby will be cold" argument. There's also Finnish style baby boxes if your wife doesn't want to spend money on a bassinet the kid will outgrow in a few months.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

It's fine, really. Especially if she's not binge drinking every night or whatever (which would be its own problem anyway), a drink or two every now and then while you're trying shouldn't cause any problems. If she wants to be cautious and she's tracking ovulation, she can just not drink during that two week wait between ovulation and when her period would be due. Since you're actively trying, too, it's unlikely she wouldn't realize until she's 8 weeks along. Tests these days let you know pretty early, if you take them. Not that it couldn't happen, the body and hormones can be a hosed up thing, but that sort of situation would be more common for unplanned pregnancies.

Also, good luck! There's also a thread for trying to get pregnant, which I'll edit in a link to. link

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 28, 2021

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Congratulations! As far as books go, for pregnancy I've liked the Mayo clinic guide as a convenient reference book (probably no info you can't find online, but in convenient, vetted book form) and Expecting Better for an economist's view of the statistics regarding decisions you have to make. I think she includes a chapter on circumcision but we're having a girl so I haven't double checked. For post birth I'll probably get the Mayo clinic guide to the first year and Cribsheets, which is basically the newborn to toddler follow-up to Expecting Better. We don't have anything dad specific; my husband hasn't been interested in specific dad books and when I've looked out of curiosity they all seem like gender essentialist "men don't even know which end the baby shits out of" bullshit.

Baby gear discussion can go in either thread, this one covers the fourth trimester too.

Also I think that birth announcement idea is fun but I wanted to use a photoshopped u/s of a chestburster in ours so my taste may be suspect.

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 7, 2021

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

When did y'all start buying stuff? I'm at 23w2d and other than the curtains I'm making and the rug I ordered earlier, we haven't bought anything yet. Probably not going to have a shower.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

An article from pubmed I found says the fetus isn't protected from decompression problems and animal studies have shown issues. Human studies are more reassuring, theoretically, but also not good quality studies so probably not to be relied on. Also gear might not fit as well due to body changes in pregnancy. It does also say that if you go scuba diving in early pregnancy you're probably fine.

Also congrats Sinecure! That's very exciting and I hope he doesn't have to spend too much time in the NICU.

While I'm here, a question for folks. I'm at 24 weeks today, and on Tuesday I started getting a lot of pressure on my right abdomen, under my breast. It's worse when I'm sitting for long periods and later in the day. I saw the midwife on Thursday and she checked my liver for enlargement (which sounded fine), so since my bp is fine, it doesn't actually hurt, and I don't have any other symptoms of preeclampsia we're just keeping an eye on it. Has anyone else had something like this?

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 12, 2021

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

YES. It was my son's foot jammed up high. Continued on until he came out and that little section was not as affected by the epidural, it kinda sucked.

Haha, oh dear. I thought I'd felt her kicking down near my pelvis earlier (and my husband finally got to feel her move--whenever he tried before she'd immediately stop moving), but maybe she was punching.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Celebrating passing the 1 hour glucose test with a bowl of ice cream.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Congrats! Seconding the genetic testing--I wouldn't be surprised if they did carrier screening on your wife when you did the embryo freezing stuff, but the NIPT they can do to test a few key things for the baby is great. Also you should go ahead and see if you'll be allowed into any of the appointments. I'm at 29 weeks 4 days and my husband hasn't been able to go to any of mine. He had to video call for the ultrasounds even.

On a different note, does anyone have any recommendations for an app that lets you track things like feeding, diapers, etc.? Doesn't need to be overly fancy, but pluses would be account syncing between parents and also not assuming it's all the mom doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

The giant u shaped pregnancy pillows are imperfect, but as a side/stomach sleeper they were the best I could manage from 2nd tri onward.

Felt a little guilty about taking up that much of the bed, but not nearly guilty enough to stop using it.

I also use a U shape pillow with zero guilt.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm using Ovia as a pregnancy tracker; not sure if I like it enough to continue using the brand but I'll check it out.