Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Well, I think this is where I belong now. My husband and I got two positive tests last week and had an appointment on Monday. At this appointment we were told that we were 7 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I was pretty sure this was at least a bit off because of how crazy my cycles are... but I was really surprised when we got the sonogram today and all we had was a tiny dot inside a yolk sac. A dot too small to even measure. So now we have no clue. The doctor said to come back in two weeks and we'll do another sonogram to see if this dot is turning into a baby.

Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? My last period was in Nov. and the cycle before it was over 40 days... But I still think that this is really strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

I guess it looks pretty much like the 5 week scans on that page. Thanks! I guess it was just a major surprise to think I was at least a little further in and then the dr. and sono tech won't even take a guess as to how far we are since the baby is smaller than a period . and is nowhere near the development they were expecting.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
We have an update:
The second sonogram shows that today we are 7 weeks in. I was so worried last time when we saw only a dot, but now we have seen the heartbeat and know that we have an 8mm baby. It was definitely reassuring to see.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

Is abdominal muscle pain normal? No one ever seemed to mention it so I was surprised when it started. I'm guessing it's from everything stretching to accommodate a bigger belly.

It mostly hurts at night before bed, and it's the worst when I'm waking up. It feels like I did crunches all night in my sleep. Is there anything I can do to stop the pain, or make it less bothersome?

I'm 12 weeks today. All my stomach muscles feel weird if I move even the slightest bit funny. Luckily no real pain... just it's obvious that things are moving in ways they've never moved before.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Ok, so I don't want to sound like I'm being whiny... but I am concerned.

I'm 14w4d. In the first trimester I lost 10 pounds and half an inch around my waist. I had light nausea and a lot of exhaustion. Now I've gained back the half inch plus 1/4, but no weight. I feel perfectly normal... except a little extra tired. I feel like all the extra in my belly is just fat... no baby.

I know the 2nd trimester is supposed to be easy and nice, but it just has me worried that there's something wrong since I don't feel pregnant at all. We started telling people after we were 11 weeks and heard the heartbeat... now every time I tell someone, I wonder if I still actually am.

Please tell me I'm being crazy.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Alright, so I'm 17 weeks and I've been sleeping on my left side since I found out I was pregnant at like 4 weeks. I've been able to sleep just fine, although I do find myself waking up on my back on occasion. Lately, however, I wake up many times during the night to find that my shoulder or hip are hurting and I struggle to fall back asleep. I've tried using a body pillow to snuggle or placing a pillow behind me to keep me from going on my back and even trying slightly different positions on my left, but none of this relieves the pain. I'm losing valuable sleep and I wake up sore. Any suggestions?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I LOVE my belly bands. I got them for a pretty good price on Etsy from this shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/babyandmedesigns?ref=pr_shop_more. I use them with unbuttoned and now somewhat unzipped pre-pregnancy dress pants and jeans all the time. (Currently 19 weeks.)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Alterian posted:

I'll be 11 weeks in a couple days and I've bought some maternity pants already. If I hadn't gotten pregnant, I would of had to buy new pants anyway since the ones I had were getting worn out. I attended a conference this week for my profession and even though I didn't have to dress up, I didn't want to wear a bunch of jeans with holes in them so I said gently caress it and bought a couple new pairs. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using one of those bands or the rubber band method. I have a long torso to begin with so a lot of shirts stop short on me. I'd be constantly scared my pants were going to fall off if I stood up or if I was using the rubber band, my fly would come down or something.

I'm really happy my work doesn't have a dress code so I can get away with wearing the yoga like pants to work and be super comfy.

I've never had any trouble feeling like I was going to lose my pants. I work with teens and have to be very careful about appropriateness of my clothing and I mess with my shirts and pants a lot less now that I always have a large elasticy piece of cloth keeping anything from coming out. (Also, they love my belly. It's all they look at now when I teach.)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
My husband and I have created two baby rules.

1. No clothing with words. (The stuff you guys are talking about.)
2. No camo.

My very sweet and well-intentioned high school girls threw me a baby shower the other day. All the clothes? Words.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

Any advice on sore boobs? I'm only about 6 weeks along, so it's still super early, but my boobies are killing me! Ice in the bra? Going bra-less? Rubbing on aloe or some other topical cream?

I weaned Bruce a few months ago so I'm not currently nursing.

I've been wearing a sports bra to bed since about 5 weeks. That helps me a lot.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
My mother claims that she went over 4 weeks late with my brother (2nd child) in 1989. That seems a bit excessive to me... she says the dr. also told her to go home, drink a beer, and run around.

She doesn't remember if she was late or early with me (1st child). She has no clue when my original due date was anymore... (I'm only 28.)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Acrolos posted:

I looked through the OP and I THINK this post is allowed, but if it isn't, please ignore me :)

My fiance and I just found out that she is pregnant a few days ago, and we are in the initial stage of trying to figure everything out. I am looking for any kind of tips on the best way to be supportive during this time, and what I should be looking to do in the near future to prepare.

While the pregnancy was a surprise, we're in a relatively stable situation with a nice home, two new cars, and we both have pretty good jobs...so I feel like we are prepared financially for everything. She grew up with a lot more money than me however, so she is more concerned about that aspect of everything, but I think in time she'll see that we're fine in this area.

The biggest thing I'm going through right now is that she has been strongly against having children and has made it clear for a number of years that she doesn't want them. I, on the other hand, have always wanted them. This has been something that has been a point of contention in our relationship for quite a while and to be honest, it's most likely one of the main reasons that we are still engaged after two years, rather than already married. On that subject, we planned on going ahead and getting married in the very near future, as it's important to both of us that we're married when the baby is born (We've been living together for three years now, and have pretty much been living a fully married life in everything except title).

We are definitely going to keep the child rather than consider the other options, but I am worried about how to handle the situation, knowing she has been against having children in the past.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation to this? Any tips on how to handle it? I am in a weird situation where I am thrilled, but I am also trying to be really supportive of her, as she has been crying and upset since she found out a couple days ago. I have seen a ton of stuff online about men who didn't want their wife/girlfriend to be pregnant, but none focusing on the other side.

I was in sort of a similar situation. Once my husband and I got married, he started in on me to have kids, very nonchalantly and sort of knew that I'd have to come to it in my own time, but he was certainly the initiator of our wanting to have kids. Our difference is that I did decide that it was time before we got pregnant, which does make it easier. I had a lot of doubts early on, but once I saw my baby on the sonogram and started feeling him moving, I knew that this was truly what I wanted. We're now 30 weeks and I'm up WAY too early because I can't sleep, but knowing the reason helps.

Do you know what her concerns are/ why she doesn't want children? That can be helpful to understand. For me, part of it was being a teacher and really enjoying being able to have child-free time at home as well as sometimes getting genuinely worried about the kind of world my child would grow up in, knowing the high schoolers I teach... I honestly couldn't tell you what exactly made me finally change my mind and be ready, but I'm glad I did.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Acrolos posted:

Her general reasons have always been that she is concerned about the world that we would be bringing up the baby in. Violence, pedophiles, etc. Basically, just worrying about all of the pitfalls of society.

She is excellent with children and seems to do really well with them, but she has routinely said that once they are about 8-9 years old and have more of their own personality, she loses interest in having anything to do with them. She has also made it a point to bring up why she doesn't want children anytime she hears a baby throwing a fit in a store, etc.

Honestly, most of the typical types of concerns you would hear from people who don't want children have been said by her at most times, but these are the two that she brings up the most.

Those are genuine concerns, so make sure you don't discount them while you do your best to reassure her that the chances of any of the major ills of the world hitting your family are very low. One of the things that sticks out in my mind as something that helped turn the tide is that after explaining to my students once why I wasn't ready for kids, one of them told me, "But you're the kind of person who should have kids. That's part of why it's like this, because people like you choose not to have kids and make good ones." That meant a lot to me.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Acrolos posted:

My wife and I are going in for our first appointment tomorrow, which we think will be at 8 weeks (she has odd menstrual cycles, so doesn't remember the exact date to calculate things on). What can we expect for this first appointment?

I have been extremely nervous about the possibility of a miscarriage (I can't help it, I always expect the worst) and I have been waiting on this day so I can get some kind of verification that everything is ok. I was under the impression that we would get an ultrasound and a listen for the heartbeat through a doppler, but I'm now hearing that this doesn't always happen at the first appointment.

So, the question is two-fold.

1. What should I expect for the appointment?

2. Based on what tests they perform, will I at least get some piece of mind that things are ok (or not) at this point...or is it still just a guessing game this early along?

My doctor did a sonogram a week after my first appointment because according to my last menstrual period, I should have been 7 weeks (but I tried telling them that my cycles are really long and that wouldn't be accurate.) When the doctor felt my belly, she knew I wasn't 7 weeks. We did the sonogram and found out that we were actually 5 weeks when they originally thought we'd be 8 weeks... So maybe since your wife has similar menstrual weirdness, they might do an early sonogram.

We didn't get to hear the heartbeat until 11 weeks just because that's when they start getting out the Doppler, but we did get to SEE it with the sonograms at 5 and 7 weeks.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Such cute teeny tiny babies!!!

I'm 34 weeks and I've been having pains in my belly. Like, sometimes it's hard pushes from the baby out towards my belly button and other times I cannot identify what it is. They seem too isolated to be contractions, but they are sharp, short pains. My doctor's office isn't open on Fridays... do I need to go into the hospital?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I'll be 37 weeks on Thursday and I just found out I'm strep b positive. I wasn't freaking out at the doctor's office because he was really good about how he explained it and how little the risks are if we just get antibiotics in myself and the baby during labor. He also mentioned getting him more antibiotics in the nursery. At the time, I was just relieved that everything would be fine... but after I left, I realized that the hospital we go to is really big on this "sacred hour" thing and that this is the foundation of their breastfeeding program. (I don't know how common a term "sacred hour" is so I'll explain, briefly. Once baby is born, I lay there topless with baby until he decides to latch on himself and they don't remove him even to measure or weigh him until he's decided he's done feeding.) So now I'm concerned that I won't get to do this because he apparently needs to go to the nursery...

Any experience with either strep b or the sacred hour? They made it sound so ridiculously important to getting a baby breastfeeding and I want to have all of the advantages I can on that end because there is no one I know in my community who is near my age (28) who stuck with breastfeeding for any longer than a week.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

CravingSolace posted:

Your babies are so cute!!!

I'm going to be 37 weeks next Thursday. Everything is starting to sink in, and I'm starting to feel very anxious. I feel like I'm not prepared and worry over everything. Am I going to bond with the baby? What if I'm not a good mom?

Also, when did your OB start checking your cervix? I've heard mixed answers. I'm wondering if they'll check me at my next appointment on Tuesday.

Mine start checking at 38 weeks. Since I was 37w 6d at my last appointment, they went ahead and did it, though. Nothing.

And now I have a cold, again. This is the third time this pregnancy and every time I'm sick, my contractions really start. Like, for about an hour yesterday I was 4 minutes apart... We went to the hospital and although they confirmed the contractions, I was still closed so I was sent home. Why do I always get more contractions while sick? (They were so much stronger this time, too, so I was so hopeful!!)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Ok. It's freak-out time and I need reassurances. I will be 40 weeks tomorrow and my doctor told me at my appointment last night that I haven't dropped, dilated, or effaced- AT ALL! The 40 weeks is pretty darn accurate because we had a 5 week and 7 week sonogram.

So my need for reassurance is this... It's pretty rare/ never happens that someone doesn't dilate, right? I would hate to get to Oct. 4 (my doctor's cutoff date) and not have a favorable cervix for inducing even then... My husband keeps telling me that I don't need to worry, my body knows what it's doing, and medical science is just a guess game... but it's hard not to freak out! Especially when I was tired of being pregnant at least a month ago.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
So I'm 40 weeks, 5 days and I went to the doctor today for my non-stress test. Everything went well. I told him that I had been having really strong contractions, but at that time they were about 7-10 minutes apart. I'm dilated to 2 and effaced 30%. He offered to induce me, but I want to go naturally so I turned it down.

But so here's my problem- I've been having these really strong contractions for over 5 hours now, but they're still really erratic in terms of how long I go between them. I've also had some contractions that have lasted for at least 2 minutes and they haven't been more than 10 minutes apart for at least 3 hours... my doctor said not to come in until 2 hours of 5 minutes apart and 1 minute long. I'm having a hard time being patient right now, though. Is there a point at which I just go ahead and go in anyway? (My doctor's office does not have an on-call nurse or anywhere for me to call for guidance...)

They are much worse/ stronger when I get up and walk around.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
So our baby did arrive on Wednesday. The 1 hour of 5 minute apart contractions turned to a quick half hour of 3 minutes apart while we were on our way to the hospital and by the time we got there, they were two minutes apart. They quickly admitted me and within 3 hours my water broke and I had given into iv pain relief because some of my contractions were lasting 3 minutes long with only 1 minute in between. I was dilating about a centimeter per 1/2 hour until I got to 5 and then it just stopped. My contractions pretty much did, too, after I'd already given into my second intervention of an epidural. They let me go like that for quite a while and then realized that he was "sunny-side up" and that I wouldn't be dilating any more. Within 10 minutes, they scheduled me for a c-section and within an hour, my son Benjamin Aaron was born.

I couldn't be happier to have him here, no matter how he arrived. :)

That makes 3 Benjamins now, doesn't it?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Ben Davis posted:

And call your hospital or have your husband call and ask for the lactation consultant! Mine really helped when I was having issues and bawling during nursing.

I'll second this. Last weekend (our first nights home) I was having VERY similar issues with Ben being constantly hungry and not being able to hand express anything. I went to lactation on Monday and I was entirely calmed by the fact that they were certain I had enough production. My hospital has AMAZING lactation consultants- hopefully yours does, too. They have been lifesavers for me.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

CravingSolace posted:

I guess the upside is that my supply has been increasing at least a little. I was able to pump a few ounces after his last feeding, which is a big improvement from how it's been the past week. I just have to be patient.

Wow! I would say you're probably fine. I could hand-express no more than 1 little medicine syringe full any time I hand expressed (even at the absolute best times) and when I fed Ben at the hospital during my consultation they were more than happy with the one ounce he ate from my breast. It sounds like your production is a lot more than mine was.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I went into labor naturally at 40w6d and ended up getting pitocin, iv pain relievers, an epidural, and a c-section- all things I did not want at the start. (I think I mentioned the reason in my post about his birth, but he was sunny-side up.) Ben and I both turned out fine and our only breastfeeding problems have come from him being tongue-tied.

Pumping question- I'm still at home, but I'm trying to start pumping to build up a supply for when I do leave and go back to work. How do I work in the pumping while still feeding him every time he wants to eat?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Greycious posted:

I mentioned to him when he said he was going to prescribe prenatals that I really have a hard time taking giant sized pills. He just said nevermind then, and for me to get flintstones chewables and take two a day? I'm nervous about this being adequate....even though he's a doctor and I'm not. Has anyone else done this?

Same issue here. I took Flinstone's sour gummies (yum) and a folic acid supplement since there's not enough in the gummies. I also ended up being prescribed an iron supplement later on.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Yep, everyone gets their little ID bracelets right quick, so even if your baby does have to spend time out of your wife's room (say, in the NICU or something) no one's going to get lost.

Actually...okay, folks, question here. My daughter was in the NICU for her first week, and I went home before she did, so I never had her in my hospital room. Do the nurses wake you up for feeding if you somehow sleep through a crying baby? If you're recovering from a C-section and mobility is an issue, are they able to keep the baby in reach? Post-C-section, do they keep the baby in the nursery room till the mom is out of the recovery room, or...? I'm suddenly realizing that we just never had the baby-in-my-hospital-room experience when my daughter was born. I was off in my room and I'd hobble over to the NICU to see her. :ohdear:

The hospital I was at is almost militant about keeping the baby in the room, but the nurse the first night of Ben's life offered to take him to the nursery for a little bit so I let her.

I also felt like my baby cried a lot while we were in the hospital because I never really heard anyone else's cry and I know they were full while we were there. No nurse ever came in and checked on us because of the crying and I was rarely helped with getting Ben to my lap after my c-section. I probably moved around way more than I should have and did things I shouldn't have like not using the lift on the bed to help me more in getting up and down. I know that I should have asked for help more because I also know that they would have been happy to help because the nurses and lactation consultants were AMAZING. Don't be afraid to ask for any help you need- I wish I'd have asked for more. (Especially to be taught how to clip his nails because they already needed it when he was born and I haven't had the guts to try it yet...)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I would second the diaper raffle idea if it's an acceptable practice in your area. In my small, rural community, I received giant boxes of diapers from people when we asked for diapers and wipes for an additional door prize at the shower. I ended up with over 1,000 diapers and 3,000 wipes- all of different sizes and brands so that I can find out what we like best.

For finding the best prices, I'd recommend https://www.couponing101.com. They have someone who finds the best diaper deals each week with links to printable coupons when available. It's really great, especially if you have loyalty to a particular brand so that you can always find the best deal. Also, contact the diaper companies themselves and a lot of times you can get samples and coupons (the same is true of formula if you use it!)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Lullabee posted:

Thanks for this and everything else everyone! I'll definitely bookmark it. I knew that babies are all different, but my sister never had many issues with the first brand she tried ( I can't remember - this was 7 years ago), so I was hoping I wouldn't either. I'll start emailing companies to get samples - never hurts to try!

What is a diaper raffle? I moved about a year ago, so my "baby shower" won't really be mine - it'll be thrown with all of the father's coworkers and friends, so really the only reason I'll be there is because I'm the carrier of the child. Awkward for me, since majority of them have worked with him for the past almost 12 years.

The way we did it was on the invitation we put something like "Bring diapers and wipes to be entered for a door prize!" and then literally everyone brought diapers and wipes (sometimes multiple packs of each) and then you have a drawing for a nice door prize. I think we did gift cards. My aunt, cousin, and grandma hosted the shower I had that this was done at.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I decided before I got pregnant that I'd do rocket ships/ space no matter the sex of the child.

I painted this:

and then he has sheets with stars on them. The art I made for the walls is also space themed and one of my students made us a gift of a gorgeous colored pencil drawing with a space theme.

I'd have done the exact same things had I made a Lyra instead of a Ben.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
So in my son's first couple of weeks, he'd sleep all the time (typical) and during the night he would sleep for stretches of 2-2.5 hours. The last two nights, however, he wouldn't sleep for any longer than 1.5 hours at a time... and that would be like the one lucky, long stretch of sleep with almost all of the others being closer to 45 min-1 hour. Every wake-up is a diaper change or a feeding, so he's not just being fussy or having trouble falling asleep, but I'm tired! Is this normal? Even with this new, shorter sleep pattern, he stayed awake from 10AM-7PM yesterday and then started his 1.5 hour naps at 7 until 8AM... (He'll be 5 weeks tomorrow.)

What's going on? Why isn't he sleeping better? He eats very well and gets plenty. He has around 20 wet and/ or dirty diapers in a 24 hour period...

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
You can always try and exchange the diapers. I went to one Wal-mart and they were very strict about having a receipt even for an exchange. I went to another and they had not the slightest problem exchanging at all.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Alterian posted:

We're also having a sort of sleep issue. Every night between about 11 - 2 he wakes up for 3 -4 hours and fusses and cries the whole time. He'll be full, clean diaper, burped, swaddled, everything ok. He'll fall asleep if he's held and rocked, but 5 minutes after he's put in the co-sleeper he starts crying and screaming again. Then its another check of everything, another rocking back to sleep and awake 5 minutes after he's laid down. Last night all I could do is hold him and rock him while he cried his head off for a handful of minutes. He'd then stop and go back to sleep until I set him down. After 3 hours or so one of the laydowns eventually sticks and he stays asleep. He'll then wake up every 3 1/2 hours or so for a feeding and diaper change and go right back to sleep. He'll even let us sleep in till 10 - 10:30! The frustrating part is the whole fall asleep being rocked and wake back up crying. Its only during this part of the day. It would be different if he was just up and alert and wanting interaction, but he's either crying or sleeping while being rocked. I feel bad that he's crying and I don't know whats bothering him. I think we're just going to plan to be up during that part of the night tonight. I joked with my husband that he has the sleep schedule of a college kid.

We had that with our Ben for a while. Well, a little different. He'd decide not to sleep at all, but wasn't alert and would cry. After a couple weeks it passed. He did it while he was about 2-3 weeks I think?

Fo3, so sorry you're having a hard time. My husband and I went through a time when I, at least, felt really disconnected in the marriage and felt like I was doing it all alone. I wasn't- he was always right there with me and willing to help, I was just SO overwhelmed with everything that even with his help I felt like I couldn't make it. What made the difference was I finally talked to him about it. Obviously, your situation is quite different and going about talking to your partner about it might be a delicate situation, but I'd try to find a way.

Video game discussion- awesome. I don't play but my husband does and he is the full-time day-time caregiver. He just plays in the afternoon while Ben is sleeping and then often in the evening when I'm home and caring for Ben. He gets in a lot more time than I ever expected him to!

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Ben is getting his 2 month shots tomorrow. I've heard about nursing during the shots for pain relief since we don't want to give him meds. When I asked at the doctor's office, they said they don't allow it because of the risk of aspirating. (I hadn't thought of that.) I have to get the shots at the health department where the nurse said it may be allowed. Did any of you do it? Any success? Is the risk too high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
So I did the whole normal 4 weeks of bleeding after the baby, spotted for 2 weeks, got my depo shot, and then had a glorious 2 weeks of no bleeding. After those 2 weeks, though, I've had over 3 weeks of daily spotting- some days more than others. Sometimes only just enough to notice. Will this ever stop? Is there a point at which I call the doctor? I can't stand that I got my period back so soon. I'm breastfeeding like crazy!