Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Question: can I really be out by 2 weeks?

I have usually predictable but occasionally annovulatory cycles. My husband and I started trying seriously 3 cycles ago in August. After a tense month or so waiting for ovulation, never mind my period, we went to the docs, got told 'you're fine, you'll probably get your period soon'. A week or so later (CD50!) I ovulated and by pure chance we'd been in a position to get pregnant.

Fast forward to now; technically 7 weeks 3 days if you add 14 to the ovulation date (which was 29th November) I've had morning sickness, my boobs are two cup sizes larger than before, my belly feels tougher, positive pregnancy tests since 9th December...they started off faint, really really faint, but that line was wonderfully dark about two weeks later (for reference on faintness, the stick has a lower limit of 10miu/ml so faint would be really early). However, I've been spotting and mild period-pain style cramps pretty much all the way through, so today we had our first scan for viability.

It showed a gestational sac apparently at the size for 5 weeks 3 days, with a yolk, but no Bean inside.

Is it possible that with ovulation (stick test) positive on 29th November, that I could have only 'conceived' two weeks later than that, or that the Bean could be growing slowly enough that it wouldn't be particularly visible on an ultrasound (yet still be viable)? It seems quite unlikely to me but given that the human body is an amazing thing, I'm not going to rule it out (until the scan next week shows an empty sac).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

sheri posted:

If you know when you ovulated (and based on getting the initial positive on Dec 9 you are probably right on) it is highly unlikely you'd be measuring two weeks behind in the first trimester. Babies grow at a very predictable rate in the early weeks.

:(

Thank you, that's pretty much what I thought - the hospital have given me the number for the maternity ward if I miscarry this week and it's bad. So even they don't think it's likely to be viable given that it's two full weeks behind :(

skeetied posted:

As a counterpoint, I knew when I ovulated with this pregnancy and I knew I was 5w2d when I went in for my first ultrasound, but I only had a yolk sac that was 3w5d. I was sure that it wasn't viable, but we saw the heartbeat two weeks later (when I still measured behind) and now I'm 21 weeks with a fetus measuring a week or two ahead.

I'm glad that yours has worked out for you, congratulations! I'm trying not to get my hopes up though as I suspect it's a lot more likely that there's nothing growing for me, but augh, waiting a week for the next ultrasound really sucks. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy :)

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

I think I have the most wonderful madwife. I'm not very far along yet but after a miscarriage, then really late ovulation (day 49, wth body?) and pregnant again, I talked to her today and got told everything sounded like it was perfectly normal and that she's got me an early scan for next Friday. I'll be 6w5d. Am clearly ridiculously hormonal because just knowing that she was competently sorting things like that out for me made me cry.

One of the issues though is spotting after any kind of exertion including my short walk to work, which worries me. My madwife didn't seem to feel that it's an issue but after last time I really don't want to take any chances. Has anyone else had spotting (light, no pain) in (very) early pregnancy and had everything be fine? Given everything that can go wrong in pregnancy I'm starting to be amazed that the human race actually exists...

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

amethystbliss posted:

Congratulations, and how great that you have a supportive midwife looking after you! I too had quite a bit of light spotting without pain early on. It resolved after the first trimester and I'm due any day now :). My midwives said unexplained bleeding happens in 1/3 of women and usually it's nothing. It's still always good to call when you get concerned--they had me go to the ER a few times just to be checked but everything turned out fine.

It still looks like my little girl is going to be enormous. I was sent for an ultrasound a few days ago, and she's already measuring 10 pounds (I'm 38 weeks today). I know these measurements can be off, and luckily they're not talking induction or c-section just yet, but my amniotic fluid has increased a lot over the last week, so I have to go in a few times a week for extra monitoring to check she's not in distress. They're hoping she just comes a little early to spare even thinking about interventions--wish me luck!

Thank you, the midwives in Newcastle are actually pretty good, thankfully! It's comforting to hear that things like this happen a lot.

Congratulations on your giant baby as well, here's to pain relief!

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Thanks for all the positivity folks! It's made me much more confident that this time won't be a repeat of the miscarriage. I had very little spotting yesterday or today and even went for a run and got a pb, no spotting! The next four days need to go quickly, I really want to get the scan sorted.

No experience of my own but my sister got sheep liniment from the farmers market to combat boobular soreness... Doesn't smell great but really works and dirt cheap due to being for sheep, but it's the same stuff as you use which is specifically made to stop dry/cracked nipples and not smell. Doubt anything except genetics has much to do with stretch marks though, sadly. I'm hoping being a little podgy somehow magically makes skin stretchier or something...

Also is it normal to find sitting at a desk/in a stiff chair quite uncomfortable even so early on? Cos work today was crap, just couldn't get comfy at all.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 19, 2014

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

But for me it passed after a couple of months, and I had a great second trimester

Good to know, I didn't realise these things happened so quickly!

In other news I just got back from my scan and we have a heartbeat (how cool!) and everything's looking decent (a little blood in the uterus but that is apparently not to be worried about unless my spotting gets worse.) So far so good and much better than last time. I think I'll go and have a little cry now.

E: I'll be pregnant in summer but I'm in northern England so I don't think it counts. My sympathies to those in actually hot countries.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

I have a question about running when pregnant - I'm under 9 weeks but I've stayed feeling really uncomfortable when running, as if my uterus is jostling about, it's definitely not a comfortable sensation.

Given I'm so early on, so you reckon I can get away with just wearing tummy control pants under my running shorts or does anyone know of a device which does something similar that's not spanx?

Wasn't sure if this thread or the running one was most appropriate for this question...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Chandrika posted:

I was a runner, too, when I became pregnant. I got the go-ahead to run as long as I was comfortable, and didn't overheat. It was the beginning of the third trimester for me when running became uncomfortable and I stopped, but I have had friends who became uncomfortable almost right away. Personally, especially so early in your pregnancy, I wouldn't run at all right now if it's uncomfortable. I would stay away from compressing the belly to run, as well. Maybe switch to the elliptical or swimming until the pregnancy is more established, and then give it another go?

Thank you for the advice! I've been told I can do it as I was running before (albeit short runs under 5k), so today I had a test run using my ComfyShorts (which whilst not 'tight' are comfortingly close) and...well, it feels different from pre-pregnancy but it's not totally uncomfortable, possibly the other day was just a bad day and the wrong shorts. As for overheating, British Summer has just kicked in (now that I have a week off) and it's chucking it down. No danger of being too warm here! I usually run in shorts and a light vest top though as I do get hot when running even in relatively cool weather. Will just have to take it easy :) Hopefully it'll get easier in a few weeks when I pass the magical miscarriage barrier (9 weeks tomorrow, not long to go! :toot:)

Chiming in on pinky, it was the absolute best way to stop my niece being grizzly since dummies got spat out immediately. Going to be using it on my bean too no doubt.