Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken McNobody posted:

Anyhoo, for the last couple weeks I've been waking up in the middle of the night with pain deep in both buttocks, like in the hip joints. I already sleep with a body pillow between my knees to help with back pain...is there any way to alleviate this?

I've found that sitting on one of those inflatable exercise balls while watching TV at night or at my desk really helps my back pain (which sounds like it's in the same spot as yours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Bodnoirbabe posted:

On friday I'll be 12 weeks and announcing on my facebook that I'm pregnant. Any funny, not sentimental, cheesy, or weepy statuses you can suggest for myself and for my husband?

I took a low-key approach and just posted the ultrasound photos (which, at 13 weeks, looked a lot like a real baby) on FB. A ton of people missed them, so maybe a great status update would help.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Ok, yeah. I asked about taking meds because usually I take my prenatal and iron supplement before I go to bed, which is usually 3 am (I work the late shift at work). They told me to take them at midnight. So I was worried that even taking the small thyroid pill would be bad, which I take immediately on waking. I can dry swallow it, as it's that tiny, but I just don't see myself being able to properly metabolize that glucose solution if I have no thyroid hormone to kick start my metabolism.

But then...I really don't like my doctors nurses, as they don't seem to take into consideration my situation and may just be giving me the "standard" response for a normal person.

If you're taking standard synthetic levothyroxine, taking a dose late one day probably won't have a huge impact on your thyroid hormone levels. Synthetic liothyronine or one of the combination meds will, though.

Do you know if you're doing the two hour test or the one hour test? I'm 23 weeks and doing the one hour test on Oct 26, but not fasting (I was just told not have anything very sugary for breakfast before hand).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My midwife always feels around first so she knows where to stick the doppler to check his heart rate. She's been pointing out the head and the butt to me (and then you can generally figure out where everything else is since he loves to stick his butt right against my side) since my 30 week appointment and said they feel quite different (one wiggles a lot more than the other when you grab it!).

Edit:

On the topic of GD (sort of), my blood sugar was a 75 after my one hour GTT (and after breakfast right before the GTT). Is it possible for it to be too low (that's about what my normal fasting level is non-pregnant)? I keep forgetting to ask my midwife.

skeetied fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 20, 2011

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

bamzilla posted:

12 weeks is too early for that particular test, I thought? I know someone who had one at around then and was told the fetus had some abnormalities and it turns out it was just too early for the test. I think the average timing is around 14-18 weeks with 13 being on the early side.

At least here in California, it's required to have the NT ultrasound before 13 weeks or the measurement won't be accurate.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I'm a couple of days shy of 36 weeks and haven't felt much like eating for the past couple of weeks. I had lost weight at my previous appointment, so now I'm trying to graze throughout the day, but it's definitely hard to get excited about food right now for me.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

Haven't gone through it yet, but I've heard some women say that it will stay "abnormal" through the time you're breastfeeding too.

My optometrist also warned me that breastfeeding can have an effect. He said he didn't recommend making any changes to my prescription (unless it was seriously off) until I was finished with pregnancy and breastfeeding.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

netally posted:

Where do I start when looking for breast pumps? I'm not bothered about getting a totally fancy one, but is it worth the extra money to go electric? I will probably only use it for a couple of feeds a week, but I want something that's going to be comfortable. Are they as scary as they look?

I would consider waiting until after you've had your baby to figure out what you need. I just had mine a week and a half ago and purchased a fairly cheap manual pump since I wasn't planning on going back to work. The baby had other ideas about breastfeeding, so we ended up renting a hospital-grade one so that I could pump while we are working with him on getting to the breast. While it looks scary, it's not really that bad and has lots of adjustment for the suction. :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

I'm going to ask my doctor about it, but I don't go in again for another 1.5 weeks. Somebody please tell me you laid on your back without causing a major medical problem.

I accidentally slept on my back all of the time while pregnant. My midwife and her supervising OB both said that my body would tell me if it didn't like it (I would feel faint or dizzy).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Bodnoirbabe posted:

His latch is actually improving. The issue we're dealing with now is nipple preference to bottles. He wants his food NOW and doesn't want to work for it, so he fights me. I'm trying out a breast shield to see how it goes.

I pump just fine. I can usually pump at least 2 ounces. If i'm engorged, easily 6.

I'm not sure what bottles you're using, but the slowest flow Tommee Tippee bottles were recommended by the LCs at my hospital for breast fed babies because they're the most natural "feeling." If you're using a Medela breast pump, they also have a new nipple called the Medela Calma that's supposed to mimic the vacuum needed to get breast milk from the breast.

I've had to exclusively pump for my baby due to latch issues (he's tongue tied but there's no frenulum to cut, among other things). It's not the easiest thing in the world, but if nursing is stressing you out this much, I would recommend it. It can be reassuring to know exactly how much your baby is getting and some latch issues can be grown out of later on as the baby's mouth gets bigger and they get more coordinated.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

ease posted:

Hey I'm selling a Medela breast pump in SA-Mart : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480989

Those aren't really meant to be multiple user pumps since milk can back up into the motor, which could technically be a safety hazard to a future user. Only the Symphony and the Lactina are certified as multiple-user pumps.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Helanna posted:

I thought the Medela ones were okay as long as you bought new tubes etc? I heard they're rented out by hospitals pretty regularly, which means multiple users.

Bought a second hand one myself as I intended to be going back to work full time after my maternity leave, though now it looks like I won't need it since I took voluntary redundancy instead :v:

Medela makes two pumps that are used in hospitals and certified for multiple users: the Symphony and the Lactina. These pumps have closed systems that don't allow any milk to touch the motor, so as long as you get new tubes, you're good to go. Their consumer grade pumps are not.

You can read more about it here: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/14/can-i-buy-or-borrow-a-pre-owned-breastpump

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

yawnie posted:

Sorry, I know this was a couple days ago, but I just saw it and wanted to share a link - I really question the recommendation by Medela to have their pumps be single user, at least in the case of the Pump In Style. I wonder if it's just a way for them to sell more pumps. If you replace the parts milk has touched (in most cases, milk doesn't even touch the tubes, but I would still replace them) then it seems INCREDIBLY unlikely to me that you could get "contamination from the motor" like they claim. Here's a link with pictures of someone taking apart the entire thing so you can really see how it works:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=238x3583

And some more info:
http://nigeltzeng.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/tech-tip-reusing-a-previously-owned-medela-pump-in-style-breast-pump/

The concern that I've heard highlighted the most isn't infectious diseases (since you presumably know the person that you're getting a used pump from), but mold in the motor. It's actually fairly easy to get milk or condensation into the tubes of a PISA and, therefore, into the motor. It's certainly a judgment call, but given that you also don't get Medela's fabulous warranty to protect against things like mold, I think it's worth having all that information before deciding if you want to purchase a new or a used pump (and whether you want to purchase a used pump that you can't take apart to inspect before committing).

Here's an admittedly biased article about Medela pumps and mold: http://www.justwestofcrunchy.com/2011/01/19/the-problems-with-medela/

If you want to buy a new pump, this is the absolute cheapest place I've seen: http://www.awaybabyessentials.com. I think Babies R Us is having a pretty decent sale on them right now too.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I also have UHC and I had a mellow pregnancy with a midwife, who never referred me anywhere. Are there no other OB/GYNs or CNMs that you can see on your particular insurance plan?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
If you're planning on exclusively breastfeeding, I would just get a manual pump for now, since if you have a problem early on, you'll probably want to rent a hospital grade pump (they're way better at helping to establish a supply than the consumer ones). You can figure out later on if you want to get an electric one.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I'm a 32I nursing and the Bravado tanks are working great for me. They are on BabySteals every once in a while for half off.

While I can definitely understand wanting to get your husband involved, it's generally best to hold off on introducing the bottle until your breastfeeding relationship is well-established. My husband took over the diaper changing, as well as making sure I was well-fed and well-watered; breastfeeding makes me incredibly hungry and thirsty.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Aden and Anais makes some of the most amazing blankets and burp cloths ever, especially if you live in a warm climate. The blankets are huge, but light and stretchy and the burp cloths are just the right size. We started out using cloth diapers as burp cloths, which are definitely fine as well, but I vastly prefer the A+A ones.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I found that sparkling water with a lemon or a lime went down easier than plain water for some reason.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I think the general recommendation is to wait to introduce a pacifier until breastfeeding is well-established and the baby has regained his or her birth weight. Before that, all of the comfort sucking is useful for encouraging a solid milk supply and for getting sleepy newborns those extra calories.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Axiem posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions for one-handed things to do while carrying a sleeping baby?

I've found a Kindle to be invaluable. It's really easy to use one handed. I also like to prop my iPad up next to me.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
You can fail the one hour glucose for a variety of reasons, including what you had to eat that day (or not eat that day). It's just a screening test; not a diagnostic one. The three hour one is the diagnostic one.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Cathis posted:

Leg Cramps. Oh god, overnight they kick my rear end. Is there any truth to the 'eat a banana' school of thought? I know people say potassium can help.

Potassium seemed to help mine, although I drank coconut water instead of eating bananas because I wanted the fluids too.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Is she eating and drinking enough? How about eating oatmeal? Breast compressions can help too. I feel for you guys -- exclusive pumping sucks. :(

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
You could see a pediatric speech therapist for an evaluation as well. My four month old is working with one right now for his wonky suck.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

Any advice?

To add to what vanessa said, pumping shouldn't hurt. If it does, something isn't fitting right or you need to turn down the suction on the pump. Higher suction doesn't mean more milk if it hurts. You can use a little olive oil or lanolin to lubricate the flanges so that your nipple moves easier inside them, but it does sound like you might have the wrong flanges. Also, I found that it helps mentally to have something special and relaxing to do while pumping so that it's not as miserable. Good luck!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
While there is a small increased risk of stillbirth above 41 weeks (and this risk can be mitigated through appropriate monitoring of placental health -- remember that the average gestation for first time moms is 41 weeks), the poster's wife wasn't even 40 weeks yet and we have no information regarding whether her due date is based on LMP (horribly inaccurate) or something like an early ultrasound, which is a lot more accurate. Inductions have their own set of risks that should be accounted for (such as stillbirth!) before deciding to use one in a non-emergent situation (placental malfunction would qualify as emergent).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I had severe sciatica and getting a therapeutic massage really helped. I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but you can also have the therapist hit the "go into labor" points too. :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I had an epidural and gave birth in a supported squat, but I also didn't want to be completely numb and had a great anesthesiologist who knew how to make that work.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
They generally can give you the antibiotics then seal off the IV line with a heplock so that you're not attached to anything but you can still get more antibiotics if you need them in the future.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

GoreJess posted:

Any preferences in regards to Medela versus Avent versus Ameda?

I would wait until you have your baby to make any decisions on a pump in the event you need to rent a hospital grade pump versus purchasing your own. Even if you both rent and purchase, you'll want them to be the same brand so the parts work on both.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

raaaan posted:

Yesterday was my due date, and nothing yet. I didn't really expect to have her born on time or early, but so far I have never experienced Braxton Hicks (to my knowledge--I suspect that if I did it just felt like the baby moving around as usual), and I kind of worry that I won't know I'm in labour if it happens naturally before I reach my cutoff date for being induced (the 14th). Either way, anxious waiting game time. :(

I had no noticeable Braxton Hicks contractions (although I did have some that a non-stress test at 38 weeks picked up, I just couldn't feel them) and I went into labor two days after my due date. I actually probably started labor the day before, but I didn't really notice early labor. Once I hit active labor, though, it was unmistakeable.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I stopped working at that point and also scaled back on working out because I felt so tired all of the time. I figured my body was trying to tell me that it was time to start resting more.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
A yoga ball helped mine a lot, as did a chiropractor. My midwife recommended one that isn't super voodoo-y crack-y and I could finally walk after getting my pelvis back aligned.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
There is no proven correlation between how dilated or effaced you are and when you will go into labor. Go and enjoy. :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

CravingSolace posted:

I can't tell if I'm having contractions or not.

My upper back is still in pain, but I'm cramping down low. It's uncomfortable, but not necessarily painful. I'm chugging water now just in case it's dehydration. I'm hoping to at least stick it out until my non-stress test on Friday so I can know for sure. My husband is working tonight and I'd hate to call and ask him to take me to labor and delivery for nothing.

My midwife recommended a hot bath and a small glass of wine in that situation (plus a lot of water, which you're already doing). If they slow down or go away, it's not the real thing yet.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

CravingSolace posted:

Although now my back hurts, my stomach is sore (although still numb on the outside which is such a bizarre sensation), and it feels like someone kicked me right in the crotch. It comes and goes, and a friend of mine said that means he's just sitting very low now. My next appointment with my OB is on Wed., so I'll see if I dilated any more.

Also, a question about detergent: My husband and I bought this expensive pediatrician-recommended detergent. A friend pointed out that we'd have to wash our clothes with it, too, since the baby will be held against us all day. I didn't even think of that. Does the brand really matter, so long as it's unscented and whatnot? Or should we stick with the baby detergent?

Sorry if this seems like such a silly question. I'm just worrying about every little detail.

If you have a yoga/exercise ball, that helped me a lot with the kicked in the crotch feeling toward the end. The lack of a firm seat was awesome.

I've always used Tide Free & Clear for my husband and I because laundry detergent sensitivities are common on my side of the family, so I've been washing the baby's clothes in that and we've had no problems. You might want to see how your baby does with the unscented regular stuff before committing to the crazy expensive baby stuff.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Awesome Kristin posted:

I spoke to the pediatrician about his spitting up problem and she just said he's gaining weight fine and he'll grow out of it. She didn't mention any possibility of reflux at all.

My son was a chunky little guy and he still had reflux and was a totally different baby on medication. I think you might want to pursue that further if his symptoms line up.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Awesome Kristin posted:

I am still concerned I will be dismissed when we go in (I know it will be tough convincing my husband after the pediatrican said everything is ok). I don't want to seem like I'm "that mom", but I really don't want Ben to keep experiencing this discomfort.

As Lazenca said, don't worry about being that mom. If your pediatrician looks down on you for bringing your justified concerns to him or her, it's time to find a new pediatrician (it's also time to find one if he or she won't diagnose reflux based on weight alone).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Lullabee posted:

Quick question: does measuring ahead this early (20 weeks, 1 day) mean much later on? Or do they even out by the 3rd trimester? I'm not measuring too far ahead - just 3 days, so I'm not stressing it, was just wondering.

I think that measuring three days ahead is completely within the realm of the "fudge" factor of a 20 week ultrasound. The accuracy gets worse and worse as you get further along (which is why a lot of practices do an ultrasound at eight weeks to determine dating). Plus, unless you have a completely regular 28 day cycle, the method of calculating a due date isn't exactly accurate either. In short, you're fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
It might be difficult and expensive to get, but see if you can get a prescription for all-purpose nipple ointment. It's wonderful for sore and cracked nipples and actually helps the pain go away because it has an anti-inflammatory in it.